• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Apr 30, 2013
8.2

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Absolutely blow my mind, awesome itemization, you get ways to play instead of irons to wear and only see it moving, 400+ skills to customizate your toon whith your own style, great longevity with the magics level up system, and a wonderful online! also the difficulty of the game is really challenging!
  2. Apr 30, 2013
    In my opinion is a zillion times better than monster hunter, not that it is the same or similar, but many think it would be a "copy" of the MH. Only the story is worth more than all the MH all together. Best game vita today and one of the best of the year.
  3. Apr 30, 2013
    Let me start by saying this game is NOT Monster Hunter, if you're gonna dive in this game thinking this is Monster Hunter you won't have to much fun. Now putting that a side this game is down right gritty, disturbing, and out of the world. The combat system isn't your typical hack and slash with a sword/weapon instead you go in battle as a magician with countless customization(not in the sense of making your own spell, but many variety of spells) spells in the game. The core of the game is well as the title says "Soul Sacrifice" You either become dark by sacrificing them for power, or you can grant a monster/boss/fiend salvation and save them to gain defensive attributes over power which is consider "holy". This game takes place as you wake up in a cage filled with bones and the atmosphere is dark very dark it seems hopeless till the "Librom" the book a that you'll be reading which tells you many tales of a sorcerer that went on and do his bidding. Which you'll be controlling to tell the story of the sorcerer becoming a dark mage or a holy mage. Each chapter is broken down into missions, which you'll be undertaking. These mission starts out in a small map where you'll be fighting minions then go on toward the big boss "Archfiends or witches" Which from that point you go into battle granting them "salvation" or "justice". Sadly this game is NOT open world, but this does not set it back by much because this game has so much countless content in the game such as "Rites" which are very powerful spells that comes with a price. Such as, sacrificing your eyes to gain control of a powerful magic spells for a short period of time but losing vision because of you sacrificing your eyes. THESE must be repair upon use and the way you repair them is with Lacrims which are obtained after every stage by talking to the Librom, these are also use to repair spells if they have been use to much in a battle where they are broken, fear not if you do not exhaust the spells you went into battle with they will auto restore upon quest success or failure. This game has a 2 way leveling system it's very unique if you ask me, first off when you save a monster you gain "Holy Exp" thus leveling up your holy gauge, and when you sacrifice a monster you gain "Dark Exp" when the gauges fill up for either of the 2 it will level up. I.E. Holy Level 2/Dark Level 1. There's a catch though, as your maximum output is 100 so if you want to be the holy guardian you would want Level 99 Holy/Level 1 Dark, but if you want pure destruction you want Level 1 Holy/Level 99 Dark(There is no level 0) If you're wondering upon level up is it permanent? No this is where most game should learn, you can actually use the Lacrims you obtain from quest to DOWNLEVEL your character I.E. Level 40 Holy/Level 30 Dark>Use Lacrims to lower Level 40 Holy to Level 39 Holy. It makes for wonderful build if you weren't satisfy with the old build you had. The Multiplier aspect of this game is where the game will be where the fun starts. A maximum of 4 players can join forces to conquer the "Avalon pact quest" in which by going in you must team up and fight, but worry this if you're doing a bad job and constantly dying and you happen to join a group of people that get's very annoyed they can actually Sacrifice you and taking you out of the fight for a short burst of powerful Magic damage to the entire map. This in my opinion is a horrible way to die and not get rewards such as the essence/exp of the boss. I won't cover much for multiplayer due to the fact I haven't played on the full release of the game yet(This game requires an online pass that is not valid yet, since I got it early I'm fine with that) This is my first review and I hope you guys enjoy it. This game is a blast it will take your soul with the countless grinding you'll be doing. Expand
  4. May 2, 2013
    The game is fantastic! I have been waiting for this game to release for awhile now, and I can say with confidence I am not dissapointed. The graphics are amazing, the combat is smooth and enjoyable, the story keeps you interested, and the lore section fills in all the details. The online portion is very entertaining, and has a good amount of depth.

I don't review games very often, but
    since "professional" reviewers are giving this game a hard time, I felt I should give my opinion on the game. This game is a must buy IMO, and it ranks up there with Persona 4 Golden, and Gravity Rush.

TLDR version= Buy this game.
  5. May 1, 2013
    This game is simply perfect, comparing it to Monster Hunter is an insult to both games, as if it was meant to be a competition or simply stating that SS is a replacement or clone of sorts. It plays very well, the story is told in a really creative way and the soundtrack is next to the brilliance of Chrono Trigger's. My advice is to ignore any review of 6 and below, my opinion is that they only read EDGE's review and, as Nintendo Fanboys, just assume it is a clone of Monster Hunter, which in fact is not, play the Demo just to see. The only too problems I had were the Voice Acting (you can replace with the Japanese one if you want) and some textures, but the latter can be patched. Expand
  6. May 2, 2013
    Waited for the release of this game without trying the demo, to not ruin the first play experience and that definitely worth the wait. The game is awesome. Absolutely full of style, disturbing and challenging. The gameplay resembles some other hack and slash titles but definitely this is one of a kind. The sorcerer is very customizable in therms of spells (there are TONS of them) and everyone is more cooler and powerful than another. Also the game setup and lore is very complete and original... I can definitely feel the designer imagination, the inspiration... it's incredible... Like a nightmare... But i's reallyt awesome. Speaking of controls/gameplay after an initial confusion I started to gain master of them and they are perfectly balanced, pressing and holding buttons for some spells or actions, tapping the button for some... Anyway is perfectly explained even without a real tutorial... the game puts you immediately in action and you must adapt to survive. In final it is an outstanding game, very fascinating and enjoyable. Expand
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    Soul sacrifice does enough and offers enough amount of content to show that its not a clone of a monster hunter and its true. The amount of customize you have is a vast variety of skills, magics and so on in which the gamer is being encouraged constantly to try out them and prepare themselves for harder boss fights. each level of game takes place in an arena where you will clear the area from enemies, meanwhile you will be given certain decision which will be effective in the way your character is being developed throughout the game. That will be the Sacrificing and rescue factors.
    Combat in this game is rewarding and its really a fun and challenging experience, no matter you go alone or u join online matches the gameplay feels quiet same and fun.
    the issues comes in where you realize that game sounds same. areas and enemies are poorly developed and there are not much variety to them. its obvious arena and designs where inspired by Mythology stuff but it could be so much better if the team could put in more effort in designing more variety of enemies.
    aside of that, SS have one of the best Art directions around and its no doubt about it, Soundtrack is very well composed and its quiet catchy.
    the gameplay will feel quiet repetitive after few hours and its generally the nature of this genre, but SS is trying to improve this issue by offering a huge amount of options to player and having a very rewarding combats. Its quiet up2 the gamer, for those who the game will be addictive they will not feel its repetitive, but if you didnt like the demo or this genre the game is not going to be your type.
    The graphics are good but some textures are quiet blurred or bad.
    finally I think SS is not the game that we expected, and Inafune (with his big name around) didnt do much to make a masterpiece, but all together, for a vita to receive a RPG game SS is a very good title.
  8. Apr 30, 2013
    It's wonderfully dark, packed with clever and unexpected ideas. The plot, if you spend time and thought piecing it together, is decidedly above average. The gameplay could be called repetitive, but I find it to be so multilayered and to have so many subtle complexities that I have yet to tire of it after playing both the demo and the game.

I wasn't sold on this one until I tried it, but
    by golly it's clever and unexpected and has incredible production values, all in a format perfectly suited to portable play. This makes the Vita worthwhile. Expand
  9. May 10, 2013
    This game is crazy deep and fun. I downloaded the demo and didn't get it. I decided to read through the first part of the wiki on IGN and decided to go back and give it a try. I ultimatelyWhat a cool game! Finally something for my Vita! Once I learned how to combine attacks using different elements, the game opened up. The story is great too! It's been a whiles since I have been addicted to a game... and it's a handheld. Go figure. Must buy in my book! Expand
  10. May 15, 2013
  11. Apr 30, 2013
    Finally an AAA title for the vita which is pretty good!.
    Sony gave us a Fully customizable RPG rich with lore, enemy, skills and a dark dark history, this is choice for the monster hunters fan on the vita :D
  12. Apr 30, 2013
    Please, ignore the "professional" reviews. These are the same journalists who gave the early Monster Hunter Freedom games poor scores but now that the franchise is becoming popular, they play it safe and shower it with 8/10 and 9/10 scores. Soul Sacrifice is not a perfect game. It is not a 10/10 game. However, it is an incredibly hunting game that has a lot of advantages over the Monster Hunter series, the only other hunting game out right now that's worth your time. Soul Sacrifice has a non-intrusive story that is well worth your attention. Instead of only 12 weapon types like in MH, SS has about 75 distinct spells, although the number ends up being about 300 if you count the same spell with multiple elemental options to be several spells instead of one. In that aspect alone, Soul Sacrifice outclasses MH, and this is coming from a guy who invested over 900 hours between all of the PSP Monster Hunter games. The number of strategies is staggering, and you can even combine spells to create brand-new ones. Another thing "professional" reviewers have missed is the online portion. Most reviews admitted "our version didn't have online" or they were too lazy to try it on the free demo. The online portion is what makes this game shine. Online multiplayer, by the way, is something that the 3DS version lacked, and yet many reviewers gave that game a much higher score.

Also, if you ever read a review that complains "Soul Sacrifice is way too button mashy!", stop reading immediately, go into the corner of your browser or tab and click "X". Close that review and never look back. Any claim that the game is a button-masher is a lie. The reviewer obviously didn't play very far into the game, because button mashing will get you killed after the first hour or so of tutorial missions.

Check out gameplay for yourself. This is a great game. Don't let the "average" reviews fool you.
  13. Apr 30, 2013
    Excelent new IP on vita. Excelent mechanics, good multiplayer, great art work. its elements are totally diferent, its not a Monster Hunter and im glad for it. Dont forget that the game is goint to have free DLC, so theres gonna be a lot of battles. Dont forget that the best score is USER'S SCORE because we are impartial to any franchise, brand, developer, Definitely a must buy game for PS VITA
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    Monster Hunter should take notes. Replace the magic with weapons and this is what monster hunter should be. When I hit X to dodge I DODGE, and when I heal myself it doesn't require a 45 min animation that leaves you unreasonably vulnerable.
  15. May 1, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice is a fun title well suited for the Vita! Set in a dark, grotesque world, the story constantly pushes you to decide between saving a fallen foe/enemy or sacrifice them for benefits. If you save them, you'll hear their sincere gratitude but if you were to sacrifice them, you would hear their screams and pleas for mercy that may haunt some. This point of decision (between sacrifice or save) is what Creator Inafune intended to be the backbone of Soul Sacrifice.

Some of the Critic Reviews have pointed out that the game offers a button-mash gameplay or one that is not in-depth. I politely disagree and post my reasons:

(1) The timing of your attacks matters!
    You need to time your attacks (right before the enemy swipes at you) to unlock "Rewards" that would affect the kind of loot you get at the end of the battle. You can get the following "Rewards" when you time your attack properly
    Counter Achieved... Many Counters... Counter Madness... etc

(2) The combination of your attacks/spells matters!
    There is Elemental Vulnerability in this game which you can choose to chain and exploit
    Burn the enemy sufficiently... and it'll collapse in Inferno Hell (set ablazed)
    Freeze the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in Frozen Hell (frozen in its tracks)
    Jolt the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in a Stasis (paralysis)

but it does not end there... when you attack them with the right element in the aforementioned states... you unlock the Skilful Attack Reward
    So jolt the enemy when it is in Frozen Hell and you'll see the ice break apart and cause an amazing amount of damage!

(3) The kind of spells you use matters!
    Some reviewers have mentioned it's a button-mashing game. NO! you can't mash them when you have limited casts (you need to renew them if you run out of casts during battle.. and renewals don't come easily)

You can set up a shield to knock a charging enemy. While it's fumbling to get on its feet, steal the chance to get a few hits!
    You can set up trees that bear fruits (that give power-ups to you/allies when consumed) or to distract enemies/bosses as they try to consume it!

(4) Where you hit the enemy/boss matters!
    Is it really a spammy game where you find the best spells and just fire away? Not necessarily... Other than the elemental vulnerabilities explained earlier, bosses have specific cursed parts (weak points) that you can attack and exploit. If you were to destroy all the cursed points, you'll notice the enemy showing a difference in its movement (staggering? I noticed this for the Cerberus in the demo). So getting spells to hit those specific parts matter!

(5) To save or to sacrifice, your choice matters!
    This is probably something that Creator Inafune intended as a focal point of the game. Battles can get challenging and the player is forced to make sacrifices to defeat the bosses. You can choose to engage in the Forbidden Arts (Black Rites) that sacrifice a player attribute (defence/attack/speed/sight/etc) to deal tremendous damage to the enemies or hold them in place, etc.

Beyond that, when your ally falls, you choose whether to save them (at the cost of a portion of your health) or sacrifice them to deal an insane amount of damage to the enemy and lose the ally forever (well at least for the rest of the battle). When you fall, you make the choice whether to call for your allies to save or sacrifice you! The story/single-player mode plays alot into these as your hard-earned (saved) allies may choose to leave you if you were to sacrifice/save defeated bosses that is against their alignment

---

From what I played of the demo, the story is engaging and I did grow attached to the characters. The music adds on to the atmosphere of the game wonderfully. The suspend/standby feature of the Vita is well-exploited in this game as you can literally pause mid-way in any battle and immediately hop-in again later. The multiplayer is wonderful (as long as you get a team that knows what they are doing)

Get the game, you won't regret! :D
  16. May 1, 2013
    Having been eagerly anticipating this game, I am entirely satisfied that even after tearing through the demo there was loads more to kill in the main game and more of the sick story to be told. Truly the game gets a 10 for presentation and gameplay, I don't think it's a 100% Perfect game though I love the multiplayer, the communication layout is great, and the many sacrifices/saving you're gonna do with people who you could either stomp the playground with or get kicked in the gonads over and over again (There's a world of difference between the newbs and the quick to learn)

I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys magic rpgs, multiplayer, and killing freakish monsters in crazy ways.
  17. Apr 30, 2013
    I had high expectations after reading all the hype leading up to the release of this game.

My expectations have been met, and in many ways exceeded. The graphics look fantastic, and the gameplay is vicious. I've been immersed from the moment I plugged it into my Vita, until now. I had to take a break.

I wish I could say it was perfect or the best game I've ever played... but it's
    just not.
    It is however a hell-uv-a game with so many magic upgrades you won't freakin believe, and some of the most badass monsters to fight. I am a Monster Hunter fan and I love lots of things about those games. However, Soul Sacrifice definitely has a much better story, and a better upgrade system.

Love em both... but for a while I'll be glued to SOUL SACRIFICE
  18. May 1, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice does not disappoint. I played the demo a ton, and the full game is only better. Tons of weapons, upgrades, main quests and side quests make this game a must-have RPG for the Vita. Is it good enough to go purchase a Vita to play? I wouldn't say so, but it is well worth the $40 if you already own a Vita. Plus, the 4 player online co-op adds extra bang for your buck. Pick this game up! Solid 8/10. Expand
  19. May 2, 2013
    This game is perfect example of masterpiece. Good graphics, fantastic and touching music, refined gameplay, interesting story. And it also has a lot of high level content and brilliant MP (in fact it is focused on it). It can be easily worth more than 90 hours of gameplay (I managed to get 20+ just in demo, and some of my friends got 30 in it) Definitely worth the money.
  20. May 25, 2013
    Very good game and very fun with a different take on it's story. The gameplay is challenging and makes it so every move you make is vital to the outcome of the battle. This game has one single con and that is that it is hard to go pure light if you play online. The game is much like my favorite handheld game Monster Hunter but is COMPLETELY different at the same time.
  21. May 9, 2013
    At first, you do not know what you are doing and where this game will take you but after a couple of fights you start to get hooked to the leveling system and loot system. I would recommend this game to people who have the vita. A must have.
  22. May 2, 2013
    On the positive side, the graphics look nice and the enemies are extremely creative. However I can't seem to get into this game, it's just not that fun. The weapon (or spell) system is horrible. You basically have to guess when your spell is going to run out as you're spamming attacks on an enemy, because very likely you'll end up casting it again when you didn't mean to, and you REALLY want to conserve your magic in this because you run out fast and the bosses take for-freaking-ever to kill. Enemies, and even your own friends will be knocking you around like a ragdoll the whole game, in a game where you have to stand still and charge up to do pretty much anything. The locations look pretty nice but again, it's boring and void of depth. I mean that literally, every mission just spawns you into a big flat arena to fight enemies, and that's it. Already bored to death of it and I've only put around 7 or 8 hours into it. Expand
  23. May 15, 2013
    This game have a great storyline. In here death and life of the other people stay in your hand. It´s your decision. By the way, the system batlle and 400+ skills given longevity for this tittle. Is one must have in the ps vita system. Cry If you haven´t yet.
  24. May 6, 2013
    I've played 20+ hours of the demo, I've played 30+ of the game so far and I can whole-heartedly say that if you are into the hunter genre of games then this is a no-brainer. Also if you have a Vita and are over the age of 15, its a no-brainer.

JUST BUY THIS GAME.
  25. Apr 30, 2013
    Ótimo jogo, vários monstros bizarros e uma jogabilidade impecável! Perfeito para quem curte Monster Hunter Like, e um coop com croos-chat feito para as pessoas que querem longevidade no jogo.
  26. May 2, 2013
    This game is pretty freaking awesome. Not only does it have a wonderful style to it and a great story, but the gameplay is really well designed. The soundtrack was great, and never felt repetitive or boring to me. The graphics were done very well, except for the occasional muddy texture.
    The reason why the gameplay was so well designed, yet felt "dull" or "not thought out" to others, was
    that it wasn't intended to be the way that they were thinking of. For example, the reason why the game isn't so open is because it would lower the experience all around. This would happen because the game mostly focuses on fighting bosses or multiple enemies. Imagine just how much random objects in the terrain would get in the way or how much pointless running you'd have to do if it was that way. In all seriousness, they'd only add aesthetic to the game while ruining gameplay. Which is unacceptable I personally think. Another thing, was the spell limit. What if you could actually see how much of a spell you have left? That would honestly ruin an important aspect of the game for me. For example, once your spell starts to blink red and the game tells you that you're running out, you have to decide whether or not to risk getting another use out of it. You could just sacrifice something to get it back or restore your power from something on the map if you'd rather save your spell uses anyways.
    Rant aside, everything is pretty well balanced, and plays very nicely into the idea around sacrificing or saving something. This game has a pretty good balance between strategy, such as choosing your spells, levels, black rite, allies and arm carvings (forgot what they're called), while still maintaining a nice amount of difficulty. Sure, the game is lacking enemy diversity. But, I believe that they are fixing that with quite a few free content patches in the coming months (even then, I'd say it's still mostly about the boss fights).
    The lore fits so damn good with everything. All of the bosses have somewhat of a messed up backstory to them. Heck, even the story without looking at the lore is amazing too.
    All in all, I'd say this is one of my favorite games.
  27. May 2, 2013
    I was never a fan of Monster Hunter or Ragnarok. I wasn't of any RPG game, until i played this game! The 400+ skills the enemies. everything just blew my mind! I give it 9/10.
  28. May 4, 2013
    One of the best games for Vita and the one wich i fall in love. I think that it takes some Monster Hunters influences but it isnt a clone at all. Call it an evolution of this lineage of ARPG. You can choose to engage in a truly depth story, real console experience or just enjoy a movile expirience battle on the go. Cooperative multiplayer is great. Graphics are beautiful. The combat system is really nice and the abilities an magical items herarchy very innovative. I dont know if this sacrifice gonna "save" the Vita....but this is the game that finally make me a proud Vita owner. Thanks SCEA!!!! Expand
  29. May 11, 2013
    Ótimo jogo,monstros bem bizarramente legal,ótima mecânica de jogo,enredo comovente e emocionante e grande variedade de ataques. O problema e a câmera e cenários repetitivos
  30. May 14, 2013
    This is an absolute must buy for anyone that owns a PS Vita! If you don't own one, it is definitely worth buying one just for this game and with a playstation plus membership for only 17.99 (3 months) or 50.00(1 year) you get plenty of great Vita games for free that are updated every month and plenty of free PS3 games!

Soul Sacrifice proves what this system can do and there is even
    plenty of room for graphics improvements and such, because the Vita hasn't even been fully unlocked, the CPU speed is limited I'm sure. Expand

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice is a heavy action-rpg with a great moral choice system. Even if the camera controls are poor and there are a few graphical quirks the developer Marvelous AQL delivers an awesome game with lots of replayability. If you own a PS Vita you owe yourself to play this game.
  2. The gameplay is smooth and every spell is designed to be both cool and useful. The environments are well crafted, ranging from icy plains mired with huge chains to forests filled with bizarre trees covered in throbbing blood veins. [June 2013, p.88]
  3. Soul Sacrifice isn’t the deepest Action-RPG out there, but it’s certainly one of the most interesting, and it feels right at home on PS Vita. [July 2013, p78]