7.9

1. Aug 19, 2012
    Bought this game for two reasons: 1) appreciation it was receiving from all directions 2) being among the first few Playstation game releases that support: cross save and the latest addition 'cross buy'. The cross buy proved out to be a great feeling, and I was thrilled to see the game on both my consoles at the price of one. However, the short campaign is the main reason you won'tBought this game for two reasons: 1) appreciation it was receiving from all directions 2) being among the first few Playstation game releases that support: cross save and the latest addition 'cross buy'. The cross buy proved out to be a great feeling, and I was thrilled to see the game on both my consoles at the price of one. However, the short campaign is the main reason you won't probably get to enjoy the cross save feature. It makes a major meaning only when your game campaign is a long one where you might want to play it on one and continue on the other. The gameplay was fun but not extraordinary and the platforming experience was satisfying but not extremely rewarding. The checkpoints are quite close so the difficulty is not too hard. The editor is fun and great way to boost your experience (designers are going to love it), but it will take a bit of time for the community to have great levels. The connection with music is cool and the city based album is the greatest connect with music and game elements. The game also feels like a cross between Super Meat Boy, Little Big Planet and Space Mutant Blob attacks. The developers can however elongate the gaming experience by either introducing more game levels or by reducing the difficulties in Death Mode, or else the game will not see a launch after you've completed the campaign and are not challenged much by the Death Mode. Expand
  2. Aug 22, 2012
    The good part? A unique way to listen to new tracks by some great artists. The bad part? The music might not make up for some dull gameplay. Don't get me wrong -- the first few levels will amaze you, as each "coin" unlocks more and more of a song. But after some play, you'll be frustrated by some level sections and completely bored by others. The game mechanics are just so dull... ImagineThe good part? A unique way to listen to new tracks by some great artists. The bad part? The music might not make up for some dull gameplay. Don't get me wrong -- the first few levels will amaze you, as each "coin" unlocks more and more of a song. But after some play, you'll be frustrated by some level sections and completely bored by others. The game mechanics are just so dull... Imagine "Gish" with amazing music, but you have to play the first section over and over again. Acutally, it's more like "Little Big Planet" with a music generator, since they're obviously hoping for some innovative user generated content. The level editor is far easier to use than "LBP," and my adivce is write your coin song first and design the level around it second. But the content isn't there yet, and the main game will probably take you an hour or two to finish. This might be great once some other folks start designing, but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed since the engine is just too watered down. Ah well, I really wanted to like this more than I did... Expand
  3. Jun 18, 2013
    Campaign is fun but short. I love the music, especially the City level. Really cool music creation tools too. Only major problem I have with this game is Death Mode. It is primarily based on luck with random notes appearing. Really, really annoying feature when it should have had a set pattern.
  4. Aug 30, 2012
    The problem I have with "musically themed" games like this is that they usually have little to do with music to begin with but instead you get a normal platformer or whatever other genre the try to press into it and listen to an unusual soundtrack while playing it. So I had high hopes for Sound Shapes, but unfortunately, it pretty much falls into the same category. While the soundtrack isThe problem I have with "musically themed" games like this is that they usually have little to do with music to begin with but instead you get a normal platformer or whatever other genre the try to press into it and listen to an unusual soundtrack while playing it. So I had high hopes for Sound Shapes, but unfortunately, it pretty much falls into the same category. While the soundtrack is (mostly) pretty good and interesting, the only way it is linked to the gameplay is that you collect coins in the levels that will then add something to the music. A few times, what goes on on the screen is in "the rhythm" of the music, that's about it. So, at least for me, the game more or less fails to bring anything new or interesting to the table. The levels themselves are, with a few exceptional parts, extremely easy to get through and even getting every coin in every level is ridiculously easy. They didn't even try to make it hard to either find or reach them, they're just ... there. I got them all on my first time through the levels with little to effort. So the platforming is somewhat ... pointless, too. It's still fun to play, though, and with the ... thing you control sticking to certain surfaces, it does have a nice little, unique twist to it, but honestly, nothing special otherwise, so I was tempted to give this 6 out of 10, especially if you think about how shockingly short this game is as well, at least the campaign. However, there's the editor and for that, I added another point, because this could breed a lot of interesting levels, even though you're pretty much stuck with the sounds and items provided by the game's artists. Downside: of course you can only access new levels when having a decent internet connection ready, which is not a given for a handheld game and not everyone has WLAN at home. If you purchase this game, you get the PS3 version for free, though, so you can always get new levels there. If user generated content has proven one thing so far, it'd be to never underestimate the creativity of a passionate community. Other than that, this this game pretty much only lives on its artistic value which is definitely there with the music and designs. 7 out 10. 6 or even less if you don't care for user generated/-ing content. Expand
  5. Aug 29, 2012
    Graphics: This really depends on the album you're playing. I'd say that Cities has the best art style. But overall I'd say that the graphics are simplistic and easy on the eye whilst being impressive. 10/10

Sound: Most of the enemies and obstacles make some kind of music or noise which is a really nice touch. Plus all of the music sounds really good. But when it comes to the custom maps online the music can get pretty annoying and repetitive. 8/10 (Oh the Irony!)

Gameplay: If you're looking for challenge then you came to the right place! The story mode may not be very hard but the Death Mode challenges will have you pulling out your hair! I will give it a 9/10 because I don't like the "Stick to walls" kinda gameplay.

Re-playability: I'm going to be honest after getting the platinum there isn't much to do. There aren't many good custom maps online and the level editor is pretty poor and needs more detail. 3/10

Trophies: I'd say it's worth getting the platinum all the trophies are fair and work properly.

Price: Seeing as it has hardly any replayability I'd say it is over priced and should be priced at £5-£8 not £10.

Overall I'd say it's a good game but it shouldn't have got the hype that it got.

6. May 13, 2014
    This is a very interesting idea for a game. The game play of this game is good, songs made on here are nice to listen to, and its nice to look at. However this game can be boring at times, and it has next no life. A game that has no can really turn some people off. I just thank its alright, but I am giving points for originality. If you are thinking of getting this game then I highlyThis is a very interesting idea for a game. The game play of this game is good, songs made on here are nice to listen to, and its nice to look at. However this game can be boring at times, and it has next no life. A game that has no can really turn some people off. I just thank its alright, but I am giving points for originality. If you are thinking of getting this game then I highly recommend that you watch some game play of it first. If you are going to get this game, then its best on the vita. Expand
  7. Jan 19, 2015
    Sound Shapes is an amazing sound creating game that lets the player create anything he can think up. Sadly, it is also bug ridden, forgotten, and short lived. Sound shapes canpaign can be completed in about an hour or so. Its a fun and pleasung hour but far too short. There exosts however an online section where millions of player levels can be tried. Unfortunately the menus dont do a verySound Shapes is an amazing sound creating game that lets the player create anything he can think up. Sadly, it is also bug ridden, forgotten, and short lived. Sound shapes canpaign can be completed in about an hour or so. Its a fun and pleasung hour but far too short. There exosts however an online section where millions of player levels can be tried. Unfortunately the menus dont do a very good job of organizing and often times the "daily level" is up for a week.
    In Sound Shapes designing your own level can be thrilling and take up hours and hours, days and days of your time. Sadly too though your level can be completely erased if you dont copy at least three of the same file. Bugs ride the editor very here and sometimes even an invisible sound chip can ruin your whole song.
    Overall, great game but it feels unfinished and out of date. Maybe a #2 will perfect it.

1. Some games are brilliant because of their simplicity. Take Sound Shapes for example, a game in which you roll a ball through colourful, minimalistic environments that vary from grey office buildings to beautiful sceneries of nature. [October 2012, p.78]
  2. Sound Shapes' ready-made content is refreshing, creative and fun – but it's also in very short supply. That said, there's a more than capable platformer waiting for you here, and it's backed up by a versatile level editor that's pregnant with possibilities. Queasy has laid one heck of a good egg, and we honestly can't wait to see how many ways the community will cook this up. [October 2012, p74]
  3. It's particularly satisfying on Vita, where the back panel is used to move and adjust pieces, but Sound Shapes otherwise plays identically across platforms. [Nov 2012, p.84]