• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 22, 2013
8.9

1. Jan 3, 2014
    Tearaway is jewel of a game. Coming from the makers of Little Big Planet it’s has the inevitable adorability and charm that made that former so enjoyable. It pits you as Iota or Atoi (depending on gender preference), a small paper person with an envelope for a head, travelling through a paper world with the aim of delivering themselves, the message, to you.

The Vita’s features are fully

The Vita’s features are fully integrated within the game. Touchscreens, cameras and the six axis are all utilised in a way that mostly feels natural, an issue with past Vita titles. The only part I found awkward was destroying the evil scraps through the rear touch pad. But this doesn’t really matter in world that crafted as beautifully as this. It’s not the prettiest game on the PlayStation Vita but its distinct art style and charming soundtrack speak for themselves.

The paper craft world is wonderful to explore. Cute little touches are aplenty, such as opening the collectible presents with the touchscreen and seeing your face as the sun (using the front camera). The collectibles aren’t a grind either, they’re fun to collect and collecting the paper craft ‘planes’ with the in game camera unlocks Origami models on tearway.me. I’ve even made my own Iota, just because I can.

The issue with Tearaway is that it’s over too quickly. I was able to complete the game in less than five hours and all the collectibles only added an extra hour or so onto the play time. When you have awesome games like Guacamelee on the store for £7.99 it seems hard to justify the price of a full title.

Tearaway is beautiful game, the story is cute and charming and adults and children can both enjoy it. It’s short and overpriced for the length of the game, but it is the first game that has used the Vita’s features in a fun way.
  2. Feb 23, 2014
    The game is quite short (Seriously, even picking up 100% you will take a maximum of 7-8 hours) and everything else is pretty easy, not to mention platform elements. However, the game uses the maximum Vita and has a very sweet and beautiful style. But believe me, it's not a platformer and even bit-em-up.
  3. Dec 23, 2013
    Ok, the game is really pretty and original and you can check there is a lot of work behind it. Sometimes it's a little bit boring and childish. Sometimes you get stuck if you don't have enough "money" and you need to go back..
  4. May 28, 2014
    I don't exactly understand the praise this game has received. The visuals are great, the controls work for the most part (had some trouble with the rear touchpad), but the combat is incredibly repetitive and to me, the story was lackluster.

1. Mar 21, 2014
    Tearaway may not be the best first-party game currently available on the Vita, but it certainly is beautiful, ambitious and worth a look, if you’re willing to weather the foibles mentioned above.
  2. At its best, Tearaway is a wonderful celebration of Vita's creative potential. [January 2014, p74]
  3. Jan 28, 2014
    I enjoyed every minute of it, and it's rare to find something that radiates as much pure joy as this does. I can't say enough good things about it.