8.1

1. UltimaB.
    Nov 2, 2005
    One of the best short RPGs of all time!!!!
  2. BenC.
    Sep 22, 2004
    Excellent piece of work, one of Square's finest complete with a good story, fun gameplay, and lots of great humour.
  3. Aug 26, 2014
    The first time I attempted to play this game, I gave up within a few minutes. My teenage self did not appreciate the lack of instruction at the beginning and the initial vague story. Lucky for my teenage self, I gave it another go eventually and never came to regret the decision.

There are many great things to say about this game, from the ever increasing selection of abilities you have at your disposal to tackle stronger enemies, to the great story line which pokes fun at the damsel in distress genre. The collector in me cherishes the memory of the comic book shop, and it's subtle jabs at breaking the fourth wall remain in my thoughts today.

The downsides were few; some camera angle problems in certain situations made select portions tricky to complete, but these were very minor issues that are easily overlooked when considering the overall quality of the game.
  4. Jun 6, 2017
    A game that is deserving of a port to the PS4 classics library. Would be thrilled seeing a Remaster of it too. Was not a fan of the cheesy voices, but the sound effects were crisp and the gameplay mechanics were solid. The storyline was quirky and fun.
  5. Jan 21, 2015
    Best RPG forever.....the music,storyline,gameplay,voice actor best 100% , I hope this game will be remade in HD or 3D HD, or Sequel for this game, in this era no one can't beat this best of quality game
  6. Jun 7, 2017
    It's actually impressive how a PS game could make such a fun game like BFM. If Zelda: Ocarina of Time is Nintendo's best adventure game, then I would argue BFM is the best adventure game from Sony. The mechanics were pretty ahead of its time, involving a sleeping system where you had to sleep to avoid fatigue, a clock and time system that had shops and activities based on certain times ofIt's actually impressive how a PS game could make such a fun game like BFM. If Zelda: Ocarina of Time is Nintendo's best adventure game, then I would argue BFM is the best adventure game from Sony. The mechanics were pretty ahead of its time, involving a sleeping system where you had to sleep to avoid fatigue, a clock and time system that had shops and activities based on certain times of the day on top of food spoiling if you didn't eat them before expiration, a combat hook that allowed you to absorb a enemy and use them for an ability that could actually make a difference and a interconnected world that allowed you to go to place to place without having to necessarily go back to the main hub.

The music is quite good and very catchy. The voice acting is not too bad either (definitely not brilliant or super good, but it passes and does its job). The bosses, while easy save for a couple, are really fun to fight such as Sky Tower, Frost Dragon and Skopion. The story is a fun and funny adventure that really becomes more serious as it progresses. The character names and the humor it throws in is very immature, but it has a childish charm that I really liked as a kid and when things get serious there is actually a dramatic shift in tone. The Vambee outbreak, the final act of fighting Lumina, and the boiler plant overheating really adds are a few examples.

Brave Fencer Musashi does get a couple things wrong though. Platforming can be a bit of a pain to manage, and sometimes the way the camera angles overhead or sideways can be surprisingly tough and annoying. Graphically, it wasnt all that great even at its time and some areas could be very challenging for players if they did not come prepared. Regardless, I still think highly of Brave Fencer Musashi that succeeded as a fantastic game that embraced clever mechanics and have alot of heart.

#13 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1998
#13 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1998

1. All said, the nasty, evil puzzles gave me a terrible impression while struggling through the games mid-section, but the last chapter and the game's humor saved it from a dismal grade.
    Everything from the story line to the sword-slashing gameplay is both fun and captivating, launching Musashi into the realm of outstanding PlayStation RPGs with "Final Fantasy VII" and "Breath of Fire III."
  3. It's an incredible game filled with interesting story development, characters and objectives. Squaresoft has produced another winner!