Castlevania: Symphony of the Night PlayStation

• Release Date: Oct 2, 1997
9.4

1. RichterB.
    Dec 7, 2006
    This game was a break through when it was created not just because the soundtrack was incredible, the visuals were stunning, the variety of characters you could play with, the multitude of weapons and items, infinite combinations of the former and secret powers, but because it offered what a lot of games did not at the time and that was freedom of environment in a 2-D. Super metroid was This game was a break through when it was created not just because the soundtrack was incredible, the visuals were stunning, the variety of characters you could play with, the multitude of weapons and items, infinite combinations of the former and secret powers, but because it offered what a lot of games did not at the time and that was freedom of environment in a 2-D. Super metroid was one of the predecessors to this type of gameplay and it holds its crown for its ability on the Super NES. Castlevania was the definitive for PS because it took that powefully free and entertaining gameplay with a classic story and game to more depth and adventure than ever before. It was similar to Fable on X box or Lament on PS2 but it still out classes both with its sheer amount of charater and playable variability. If only we could have more games with such fun, simplicity and depth that keeps you asking for more. Expand
  2. Jun 12, 2011
    The very best Castlevania, and my favorite Playstation title. The music and gameplay are like crack to gamers.
  3. PeterG.
    Jun 26, 2003
    Castlevania SOTN is one of those games: easy to pick up, impossible to put down. This game has established itself in many peoples opinion as the best platformer of all time, it oozes quality and longevity. The graphics being although 2d have a feel all of their own!! Unmissable!!!!
  4. Alucard
    Dec 16, 2003
    If I could I would rate this a 912390132098. It is an AMAZING game. Go get it now and play it if you haven't already.
  5. Dec 9, 2011
    Great game, one of my all time favorites. In 2011 there's really not much to say about this game that hasn't already been said. If you like 2D exploration, you will love this game.
  6. Apr 10, 2012
    This game is the best game of all times. PERIOD. There's nothing else to say.
  7. Mar 7, 2013
    SotN was the best Castlevania in that time. Don't get me wrong, but i think AoS has the better Story and OoE has the better gameplay, but i won't go deeper. SotN let's you play the son of Dracula who wants to stop his own father from taking revenge for his mother. Well the story is nothing important, but it's cool to play the son of Dracula, who can use alot of weapons and spells, insteadSotN was the best Castlevania in that time. Don't get me wrong, but i think AoS has the better Story and OoE has the better gameplay, but i won't go deeper. SotN let's you play the son of Dracula who wants to stop his own father from taking revenge for his mother. Well the story is nothing important, but it's cool to play the son of Dracula, who can use alot of weapons and spells, instead of those 1-weapon-only-Belmonts, isn't it? The RPG feature made this game what it is: the very best PS1 game. You also have some really nice and dark atmosphere in that game. The sound is also very good mixing up some old Castlevania soundtracks and adding a few new, which really fit for this game. I recommend this game for everyone who likes 2D Sidescroller games, Metroid and Castlevania games. Expand
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    Hoaky voice acting aside, what lies in this PS1 title (Calling it PSX always sounded stupid to me...) is one of my favorite, and in my opinion, best games ever made.

When the console generation of the PS1 and N64 surfaced, it seemed that everyone was utilizing the new technology known as Polygons, so they focused more on the new 3D, where as, Castlevania, made a game with the newfound technology but with pixels, so it looks like a Super Nintendo game on steroids, a look the compliments the game very well.

I must applaud the developers for their achievement in in-game architecture with Dracula's Castle this time around, it looks beautiful. Not only that but it flows so nicely with this game's sublime platforming, exploring this monstrous place is wonderful and exciting. The atmosphere is very heavy and engrossing, and its one of the few games I can truly call 'immersive'. It's RPG elements fit in perfectly, not taking precedent on the flow of the game and the traditional placement of enemies or grinding, but weaving all of its mechanics together like this is crazy, especially considering this was the first of its kind. The music and sound design is God-tier, spoting many classical tunes that add to the thick atmosphere of this gothic horror setting. Buy the game on Xbox 360 or any Playstation device, it is COMPLETELY worth it.
  9. Jul 4, 2013
    Epic, in all different levels. The only way to make this game better is by making an HD version, with HQ music and with new areas. It's perfection itself.
  10. Mar 17, 2014
    A classic. Although not quite as good as Super Metroid this game is one of the best 2D games there are. It evolved the Metroidvania formula and added always welcome RPG elements. Carries on the atmosphere and exploration of the classic Metroidvania games. Definitely worth it.
  11. Oct 25, 2014
    Wow, if the ps1 was a 3D gaming platform im glad they released some 2D games because those are the only ones i still can play on that console, the 3d ones look ugly as hell.
    Making the next castlevania in 2D was the best choice for konami, and thanks to that (and ultra amazing gameplay) I can recommend this game for generations to come.
    The gameplay changed a lot since super castlevania
    The gameplay changed a lot since super castlevania IV on the snes, they took out the "short" stages and made it a single BIG stage and added lots of rpg elements, also took heavy inspiration from super metroid, both games are very similar but great in their own way.

Now you use Alucard the son of Dracula and thats also a improvement, he's the best character in a castlevania game, has something about him and the developers know thats why he keeps reappearing in their games. The soundtrack is one of the best as well. The game is lengthy with a secret that lets you go into a big world that can be missed if you dont do the right things.

100% recommended.
  12. Dec 10, 2012
    ZzzZZzzZz *Oh, another CoD, thanks is pass* ZzzzzzZZzzzz *Oh what we got here ? MoH Warfighter* ZZzzzzzZZZ Oh, Another CoD Game ? ZzZZzzzZ *Opens old PS1 Book, what have we got here ? Castlevania Symphonie of the Night... Pops the Game in... BAM! ............ It blows you away and shows you even to this Date what a real "Magical" Game does .. It is EPIC and holds up better then the RestZzzZZzzZz *Oh, another CoD, thanks is pass* ZzzzzzZZzzzz *Oh what we got here ? MoH Warfighter* ZZzzzzzZZZ Oh, Another CoD Game ? ZzZZzzzZ *Opens old PS1 Book, what have we got here ? Castlevania Symphonie of the Night... Pops the Game in... BAM! ............ It blows you away and shows you even to this Date what a real "Magical" Game does .. It is EPIC and holds up better then the Rest of the Sh** that gets shi* out nowadays!!!! Pick it up! Expand
  13. JonR.
    Feb 3, 2005
    One of the absolute best games ever in my opinion. One of the few games I've played through more than 5 times and I've been gaming since '84!
  14. JasonH.
    Jul 21, 2002
    If i could i would rate this a possible 3000 ----- 1-10.
  15. JoeG.
    Oct 20, 2003
    One of the best castlevanias ever! I feel that with this, people should play all three for gameboy. Alucard can't be topped. Hopefully the PS2 Castlevania Lament Of Innocence will be up to par with this one. SOTN is the best game ever.
  16. DogelopiM.
    May 13, 2003
    This game is one of Konami's greatest hits by far. Best Castelvania ever made. I say we kick out 3d and go back to 2d as Marco F. said!
  17. RavenW.
    Jul 26, 2004
    Best CastleVania game ever, best music, Alucard is the coolest character ever, its awesome!!
  18. SeanM.
    Feb 27, 2005
    Even though some of the newer GBA Castlevania games are very good, none have ever approached the mood, majesty, and brilliance of this incarnation of the classic series. This is without a doubt the most lovingly crafted and polished of all Castlevania games, and it is the best. It is in my top three console games ever. Masterpiece would not be too strong a word to use when referring to this game.
  19. ManuelM.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Bad ass.
  20. KingKnop
    Oct 19, 2002
    One of the best games ever made.
    Dec 10, 2002
    The best Castlevania ever and one of the greatest games of all time on any platform.
  22. AlyshaM.
    Oct 2, 2002
    On a scale from one to ten this game is an eleven.
  23. SimonB.
    Mar 9, 2002
    Best damn game ever for the PSX!!!
  24. AdrainH.
    May 26, 2002
    This is the best game ever!
  25. AdolfH.
    Aug 15, 2002
    Hell ya best game ever.
  26. FranF.
    Jan 9, 2003
    Best game ever made in the history of the industry! The ONLY thing bad I can say about the game is it ended! Definitely could be outlawed by the government for it's pure addiction. Never mind online gaming, play SotN!
  27. ThorntonG.
    Feb 15, 2003
    This is the best game I have ever played. I going on my seventh year of plaing it because I want to see if you can really turn into a DRAGON not just in stone.
  28. MarcoF.
    Feb 7, 2003
    Castlevania: Symphony of The Night proves that graphics arent everything in a video game. Still holding its original 2-D graphics, this game has to be , hands down , the best video game ever made. I only wish more games would be like it. Now that the new generation of video games are trying to push on perfecting 3D graphics , i say get rid of 3D , lets go back to the old school 2D Castlevania: Symphony of The Night proves that graphics arent everything in a video game. Still holding its original 2-D graphics, this game has to be , hands down , the best video game ever made. I only wish more games would be like it. Now that the new generation of video games are trying to push on perfecting 3D graphics , i say get rid of 3D , lets go back to the old school 2D graphics. Can't wait for Konami's next Castlevania series !! Expand
  29. Death
    Nov 19, 2004
    Play this game with all your life!!the best castlevania ever!!
  30. killer_ejv
    Jan 2, 2004
    BEST MUSIC!!!!!

1. A certifiable classic. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. Not to be missed.
    With at least four known endings, Symphony's already astounding replay value is entirely phenomenal.