Spyro: Year of the Dragon PlayStation

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 23, 2000
8.8

1. Jul 3, 2016
    100% the best Spyro game of all time! Why the gameplay is awesome the graphics are great for it's time and the controls feel free and the platforming really does rival Crash. This game is perfect.
  2. Aug 15, 2011
    Goofy graphic style don't seem to date even in this year, seriously thats fantastic. The levels are always a fun adventure that can't be miss. Insomniacs classic series went in a bang that left a nice footprint that can't be removed. I'm glad I played this.
  3. May 12, 2017
    Rarely does a third game come along and become the best in the series, but that is exactly what "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" manages to do. And the funny thing is this: the game sold almost 3.75 million copies (according to VGChartz) despite being released 3 days before the PlayStation 2 was released in America. Imagine how much more it would have sold early in the PlayStation's lifespan.Rarely does a third game come along and become the best in the series, but that is exactly what "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" manages to do. And the funny thing is this: the game sold almost 3.75 million copies (according to VGChartz) despite being released 3 days before the PlayStation 2 was released in America. Imagine how much more it would have sold early in the PlayStation's lifespan.
    Regardless of sales numbers, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is a fantastic game that, to me, still stands as one of the PlayStation's best games. Featuring plenty of expansive environments, plenty of minigames, gorgeous visuals that still hold up to this day, the same lovable characters from previous games to go along with plenty of new characters, great voice acting and plenty of polish to the gameplay, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is one of the PlayStation's finest titles ever. If you missed out on this masterpiece, go ahead and give it a shot. After all, it is available on the PlayStation Network, so go ahead and pick it up. I guarantee you'll have a blast!
    Final rating: 10 out of 10 "Fantastic"
  4. Apr 30, 2011
    Year of the Dragon is arguably the best Spyro game to date. Pros: Fantastic graphics; rich, colorful visuals; charming characters; a surprising amount of depth in level design. Cons: The control and camera are often wonky.
  5. Mar 22, 2013
    What great level design. The higher difficulty and incredible (for its time) graphics, infectious exploratory gameplay, and colorful visuals make it one of the greatest games on the PS1.
  6. Jun 7, 2017
    The best Spyro game perhaps ever made. In the days of platformers and Mario-look alikes wanting a piece of the fame and glory pie, Spyro always had the best potential to capitalize on itself when it came to levels. The first Spyro was very ambitious and good, the second improved and was better, but Year of The Dragon is quite outstanding. The level design was always unique and special inThe best Spyro game perhaps ever made. In the days of platformers and Mario-look alikes wanting a piece of the fame and glory pie, Spyro always had the best potential to capitalize on itself when it came to levels. The first Spyro was very ambitious and good, the second improved and was better, but Year of The Dragon is quite outstanding. The level design was always unique and special in virtually every place you went to. The Rhynocs and enemies were still comical in their actions, but they had a defined charm that made them a threat to the lands they invaded, unlike Ripto's rage where by convenience everything just so happen to go south when Spyro comes in. The extra little missions with Bentley, Sheila, Sgt, Agent and Sparxx are fun distractions that breaks a bit from Spyro's main running. While it is a collect-a-thon kind of game, I did love just going through levels just get eggs and gems. As a child, this was everything I loved and now as a much older adult with a more critical perspective on it it might have issues (like plot and some challenging areas along with a cumbersome camera system), but the core game always feels unique and crafted well. Expand
  7. Feb 9, 2017
    Very appealing. Completes a landmark trilogy. Not as good as Ripto's Rage, which to me lit the identity of this world. Year of the Dragon remains highly fun and dynamic, however as a result the amount of detailed gameplay can make some levels a little excessive. But that might be this game's only flaw.
  8. Apr 20, 2014
    I cant decide if I like this one or the second game better. the reason I love this game so much is that it is so unique and original in all the right ways. I love how every realm feels completely different and original compared to any of the others and how I thouroughly enjoyed exploring each and every one of them. a few of them may of had challenges that were kind of frustrating but forI cant decide if I like this one or the second game better. the reason I love this game so much is that it is so unique and original in all the right ways. I love how every realm feels completely different and original compared to any of the others and how I thouroughly enjoyed exploring each and every one of them. a few of them may of had challenges that were kind of frustrating but for the most part I loved them all. the bosses were fun although very easy offering only a slight challenge and characters like hunter and that scumbag money bags are very memorable and have a special place in my heart. nothing bad to say about this game besides I didn't really like the other playable characters in the game that much and felt they were a bit unnecessary and am sad to hear that not a lot of people have played any of the spyro games, excluding all the games after this one of course, I just try to pretend they never happened. this game may be a Expand
  9. Dec 25, 2013
    Bright, colorful, cartoony... this is a great fantasy world to explore. Responsive and solid gameplay with some new features. Spyro is still one of the best platformers along with crash on Playstation.
  10. Mar 27, 2011
    Insomniac knew how to make Spyro a working game. The game has such a large amount of content and variety of gameplay that this Spyro game was Insomniac's way of going out with a bang. Sure, you have a strange camera to deal with and a glitch here and there, but this game is outstanding. It still entertains me to this day... 10 years after release. My PSone classic downloaded copy of thisInsomniac knew how to make Spyro a working game. The game has such a large amount of content and variety of gameplay that this Spyro game was Insomniac's way of going out with a bang. Sure, you have a strange camera to deal with and a glitch here and there, but this game is outstanding. It still entertains me to this day... 10 years after release. My PSone classic downloaded copy of this game has noticeble semi-common framerate drops. They do not kill the experience, but they are somewhat annoying. Expand
  11. Aug 11, 2013
    This game sucks! CoD for life!

Ok, now that I have your attention, BEST ADVENTURE GAME EVER MADE!!!! (CoD sucks) Great graphics, fun gameplay, compelling story, need I go on?
  12. Mar 14, 2016
    I must acknowledge that as this was the first game I ever played I am probably somewhat biased towards it. However, I truly believe that this is one of the finest examples of classic Playstation games, on par with crash bandicoot. It goes without saying that it does show it's age so many years after its release, but for its time it wasn't far from perfect.
  13. Nov 12, 2013
    This is how my love for this tiny purple dragon originated when I was 6 years old when I first played this game. When I turned 9 I got 1 and 2 and took really good care of them 13 years later I still adore this version of Spyro, you can't find games like this anymore.
  14. Mar 24, 2014
    The best Spyro game ever, and the last good Spyro game. Spyro and Crash Bandicoot used to be so cool and fun, while their modern games are soulless. Also in Skylanders or whatever, Spyro looks mentally and physically challenged.
  15. Feb 15, 2014
    One of the better games on the PS1 all 3 of the Spyro games are great and are still great to this day, if anyone has not played these they should get them from the store or anywhere they can, it is well worth the money
  16. Oct 9, 2013
    Year of the Dragon is yet another fine entry into the Spyro franchise, and unfortunately the last game worth any praise. While there's a few tedious side missions and a few small qualms here and there, Year of the Dragon stands among the best platforming titles ever made, along with the two games before it. Final Score 8.9/10
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    I shall never forget this game, it brings such great childhood memories, and still is a great game, Year of The Dragon showed something different then the other 2 spyro games before this, well you weren't able to play as different characters and a whole lot of fun mini games. I suggest you play this or any other spyro game that was for ps1, purchase it off of the Ps store today!
  18. Mar 18, 2012
    this game is fun because there's egg you collect and you get then get new dragon which is cool then you can win more and get more dragons this game is cool
  19. Mar 30, 2012
    Superb platformer game, probably the best one on PSX along with Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Croc 2 and Crash Bandicoot games. Spyro can now gang up with 5 other animals/beasts (a monkey, a yeti, a kangaroo, a penguin and even Sparx!) to solve variety of masterfully designed levels and puzzles. The graphics were excellent for it's time, and the soundtrack, produced by Steve Copeland, is aSuperb platformer game, probably the best one on PSX along with Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Croc 2 and Crash Bandicoot games. Spyro can now gang up with 5 other animals/beasts (a monkey, a yeti, a kangaroo, a penguin and even Sparx!) to solve variety of masterfully designed levels and puzzles. The graphics were excellent for it's time, and the soundtrack, produced by Steve Copeland, is a timeless classic. It's a shame Insomniac have sold the rights to this title and focused on producing generic FPS games instead. Expand
  20. Jul 2, 2011
    Ah, yes. The last great Spyro game, and by far the best of the Spyro games. This game has it's share of defining moments from the fun as all hell flying mini-game (hell all mini-games were good), to ramming and burning Moneybags in order to get all of your gems from the bastard, to every boss battle, especially the ending fight, which is still among my favorite bosses ever. It has flaws,Ah, yes. The last great Spyro game, and by far the best of the Spyro games. This game has it's share of defining moments from the fun as all hell flying mini-game (hell all mini-games were good), to ramming and burning Moneybags in order to get all of your gems from the bastard, to every boss battle, especially the ending fight, which is still among my favorite bosses ever. It has flaws, sure, but they are almost unnoticeable due to the greatness of this game. Expand
  21. SAV
    Jul 19, 2015
    Terzo ed ultimo capitolo dedicato alle avventure del giovane draghetto viola ad essere uscito sulla prima PlayStation ed ultimo episodio della saga ad essere stato realizzato da Insomniac Games, Spyro: Year of the Dragon è, proprio come i suoi predecessori, uno dei migliori platform tridimensionali reperibili sul 32 bit grigio di casa Sony. In quest'avventura, oltre al protagonista Spyro,Terzo ed ultimo capitolo dedicato alle avventure del giovane draghetto viola ad essere uscito sulla prima PlayStation ed ultimo episodio della saga ad essere stato realizzato da Insomniac Games, Spyro: Year of the Dragon è, proprio come i suoi predecessori, uno dei migliori platform tridimensionali reperibili sul 32 bit grigio di casa Sony. In quest'avventura, oltre al protagonista Spyro, ci si ritrova a controllare anche altri quattro nuovi personaggi in dei livelli appositi che richiedono l'utilizzo delle loro abilità. Expand
  22. May 22, 2014
    While this game never quite lives up to the original classic from 1998, it still manages to stand on it's own as a fun 3D platformer. It features different gameplay styles, hidden treasures, and much larger worlds.
  23. Dec 2, 2010
    The early Spyro series by Insonmiac Games is probably the best platformer series ever made. Speaking of which, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is the best Spyro game. Still keeping its originality, "Year of the Dragon" still changes in some sorts. "Spyro: Ripto Rage" can be too quiet at times but not for this installment. There is a lot of action in this installment. Unlike the previous SpyroThe early Spyro series by Insonmiac Games is probably the best platformer series ever made. Speaking of which, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is the best Spyro game. Still keeping its originality, "Year of the Dragon" still changes in some sorts. "Spyro: Ripto Rage" can be too quiet at times but not for this installment. There is a lot of action in this installment. Unlike the previous Spyro games, this game's storyline progresses from time to time, rather than staying stiff in certain sections. We have both old characters back and new characters appearing, as well as more entertaining levels with side missions. This game is very fun, a classic platformer and worth a play. Expand
  24. Mar 3, 2017
    This game is all around excellent, and without a doubt the best Spyro game. The music as fun and catchy, the controls are spot on, (most of) the new characters are fun to play with, every single level and boss is memorable and fun in some way, the graphics are great for the time, and with a few exceptions, the mini-games are very fun. The game is also incredibly replay-able and very hardThis game is all around excellent, and without a doubt the best Spyro game. The music as fun and catchy, the controls are spot on, (most of) the new characters are fun to play with, every single level and boss is memorable and fun in some way, the graphics are great for the time, and with a few exceptions, the mini-games are very fun. The game is also incredibly replay-able and very hard to put down. I once started a new profile and completed almost the entire game within 24 hours! Expand
  25. Jun 20, 2017
    A little dated but still classic as of 2017.

Hmm the camera does get the dated feeling over time but then again I just tried spyro with a PS4 controller lol (updated 21/06/2017) (I am reviewing Spyro Trilogy not Spyro 3.

Spyro how it should be great characters, new stuff ,Skateboarding!!! and gems you can see and a nice gem counter.
  26. Sep 20, 2017
    Games like Spyro: Year of the dragon are so rare these days. Just like Crash Bandicoot, this platformer was revolutionary. Game design was on top. Looking for the eggs was one of the best adventures I've ever had in my entire gamer's career! I wish developers would make a remake!
  27. Aug 30, 2013
    This is literally among the best games i have ever played.

If you have a ps1/ps2/ps3/psp or ps vita, then you NEED to own this game.

And spyro 2

and even spyro 1.
  28. Jan 5, 2013
    Not as good as perfect Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer, but still a great sequel. I miss the cutscenes, when you enter the level or get out of level. Gameplay is still fun, even though it gets a little bit slower, when you are playing with other than Spyro. I also like music, story and levels. 10 out of 10.
  29. May 17, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon is game, that is still great, after all these years. This game is of my all favorite PlayStation games, best on PS1.

Gameplay is fairly simple. Spyro can use fire breath or ramming to harm enemies. He can temporarly gain more abilities and skills he learned in previous game are usable from the start. This mechanic is simple and it works. Spyro is easy to control and that is good, since there is a lot to do.

Spyro is not only playable character this time, there is several other playable characters that all work little differently.
    Sparx the Dragonfly is playable in 2D style shooter levels.
    Sheila the Kangaroo is playable in 3D and 2D sections and she is little simpler than Spyro, but few abilities are in constant use.
    Sgt. Byrd is penguine that can fly. His sections are very different cause you can fly freely and blow enemies apart with rocket laughter.
    Snowman Bentley is juggernaut that breaks everything with his huge club. He is not very good in jumping stuff, but his brutal strength covers that.
    Agent 9 is monkey that uses laser pistol and his sections are shooters. Few sections are played in FPS style.
    Hunter is cheetah who is used in Speedways. Every section is different, with somekind of vehicle or equipment.

Enemies are also very well made, much better than previous games. Sorceress is well made main villain but her thugs are even better. They can be challenging, but never unfair. Buzz, Spike and Scorch are very different battles, but each so fun and well made.

Worlds are all different, there that unique touch in levels and missions. Few mission are similar to previous, but there is so much variety, that it keeps game fresh. Spyro 3 is pretty large game and if you want to get to the Bonus world, you need to collect all Dragon eggs and all Gems, that is challenge, but with Sparx, you can gain abilities, that will make it much easier.

Spyro: Year of the Dragon is game that gives so much. It is well made game from beginning to end. Real masterpiece.

+ Spyro
    + Multiple playable characters
    + Well made villains
    + Variety in levels and missions
    + So much to do

- Some minor details

Masterpiece
  30. Oct 7, 2012
    Spyro 3 it took everything good about the first two Spyros and perfectly put it into one great game with new added features. Amazing levels, smooth controls, great characters this is a game that you can't help but love. By far the best in the series you should really check it out
  31. Apr 22, 2013
    Having just got this gem of a game on the PSN. I have been missing out on a very good platformer. It has plenty of level diversity and a very good game. Playing this in 2013, it seems like a very good PS1 title. Clocked this 100%. Loved Gnasty's Loot as a bonus level.

Off to play Spyro 2.
  32. Jun 26, 2016
    The best triology's Spyro games. It must have a 10 score, because it is the game of my childhood, thanks Insomiac to create the purple drangon's singular
  33. Jan 21, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is nothing to say............................................................................................................................... Expand
  34. Jul 12, 2016
    Spyro is a very child-friendly platformer game, but you can never get too old to play with it. Definitely worth a try if you like humorous characters and rpg-platformer crossovers.
  35. Mar 28, 2017
    Spyro 3 is in my opinion the best Spyro game ever made. It combines elements from the two previous games while adding in new playable characters so It doesn't get to repetitive to collect throughout the game. It brings back gems that you get from defeating normal enemies and the chests that you need to find a key to open, both these things were in Spyro 1 but not in the second game.
    Many
    Many say that the multiple playable characters and different gameplay styles makes the game worse, and I could've agreed on that if it were Sly 3 or Crash 3 that I was talking about. However, I feel like all the characters in Spyro 3 are actually fun to play as, because they fit the collect-a-thon gameplay of a Spyro game.
    The story is better than both the previous games combined IMO. I do think that Spyro 2 had a better villain, but that's something that I could look over.
    The bosses are better, the gameplay is better, the story, the level design and even the music is better (if you play the greatest hits version). All these things makes Spyro 3 an amazing game and the high point of the franchise. SCORE 9.2 / 10
  36. Feb 22, 2012
    wow what a great game from my youth! I remember playing this for months on end! such an immersive world created and a great soundtrack to boot! easily my favourite ever ps one game!
  37. Jan 19, 2016
    Spyro:Year of the Dragon, succeeds in many places other platformers fail. It has excellent and fluid controls, allowing for smooth transitions between moves, as well as the single best swimming mechanic in any game.
    The game has excellently designed levels with more complex challenges, enemy movements, more colours, and many different stylistic themes including Beaches, Snowy Peaks, Haunted Tombs, Islands in the sky with giant crystals and magicians, A fireworks factory overrun by ninjas and many others. The amount of detail in the levels from the colours, to the Skies( nobody ever talks about the sky ), to the excellent variety of minigames ranging from Cat hockey to Skateboarding and everything in-between, Spyro's gameplay never disappoints. On top of this, there are an additional 5 characters to play as, including a James Bond parody on Sergeant Bird, to a monkey with ADHD and a Laser Gun, all of which control differently to each other with uniquely designed levels and minigames to utilize their unique abilities. Driving all these Fantastic gameplay and design elements home is an incredible soundtrack with upbeat and slightly fantastical melodies, mixed in with various other styles to give each level a distinct and atmospheric wonder that only Spyro can.
    It's charming, it's fun, it's unique, and it's excellent 10/10.
  38. Nov 19, 2010
    The only PS1 game better than this one is Spyro: Ripto's Rage. That's all. I am putting more words like this one to meeeeeet the minimum requuuiiirement of 150 charrractttersssss.
  39. Jun 17, 2014
    Loved charging around as a little purple dragon. Sure the graphics are from 14 years ago, and the story is basic, but it's just light fun searching for eggs and completing tasks. Nothing complicated or hardcore.
  40. Nov 15, 2012
    This game is absolutely incredible. Spyro: Year of the Dragon has it all, especially when it was first released. Graphically, it maxes out the PS1. Musically, Stewart Copeland and additional producer Ryan Beveridge did a great job continuing with that Spyro-esque sound with the strummy chords and all that.

Gameplay wise, it excels. There's six (technically 7) playable characters in the game, and they are each very unique. I'll say this: Spyro STILL has the best swimming mechanic and any game, and Spyro the Dragon is probably the best controller platformer in existence. The engine is perfect.

The story wraps up the original series in an efficient way, I just wish there were more great Spyro games like the first three.
  41. Oct 13, 2013
    spyro year of the dragon is one of my favorite games for the ps1. the levels are all memorable, the musics great and the 5 playable characters none of which feel tacked on and the story is great. well its a not epic RPG story but a nice simple story that is easy to follow and perfect cut scene to game play ratio. meaning the they aren't too many cut scenes to bog the game down but enoughspyro year of the dragon is one of my favorite games for the ps1. the levels are all memorable, the musics great and the 5 playable characters none of which feel tacked on and the story is great. well its a not epic RPG story but a nice simple story that is easy to follow and perfect cut scene to game play ratio. meaning the they aren't too many cut scenes to bog the game down but enough to have a story that flows thru the game. lastly the graphics for its time the graphics where amazing, colorful worlds and nice to look at enemies and characters. to simply put spyro year of the dragon is a must buy for your gaming collection and hell buy the other 2 ps1 spyro games there pretty good to. Collapse
  42. Mar 6, 2017
    Spyro 3... Well, I Have an Interesting story with these one... Before i can play the Real Copy of that wonderful game, i play 7 pirate copies of them... and... i hope than my review doesn't affect by that…

The Story Starts when a mysterious sorcerer order to her minions to kidnap all dragon eggs, so Spyro and Hunter (From the previous Game) travels to the buried old dragon worlds to rescue them…

The Control Mechanics it’s basically the same As Spyro 2 (Except for the Double Jump Trick)... In Addition, You can also play as a New Spyro Friends... each one with their unique movesets...

The Level Design, in some cases are even more shorter than the First Spyro Game, but their challenges are even more fun, especially the skateboard ones... jeje, a Purple Dragon With a Skate Board... that's really fun and unbelievable...

Spyro 3... Someone could tell than is the best of the series... but... i can't support that... Otherwise, Spyro 3, has a really Funny and Fantasy Platforming game, with many modes of game, but... it is really short if you try to compare to Spyro 2 (These one have less levels but some of them are really extensive and with a high challenge)

Other not favorable point it's than the Skill Points Don't unlock anything... these one is not a bad point, but, i could be some beautiful extra, like the Spyro 2's Epilogue and CTR Scrapbook...

You Can Find lot of fun With Spyro 3, Is not the best, but is really Fun, and a amazing idea to play with more characters than Spyro...
  43. AshtonM.
    Oct 18, 2001
    This game is so easy I beat the whole game, and it was incredible!
  44. MichaelH.
    Feb 26, 2002
    One of the best games on the playstation, a must to all gamers.
  45. JonE.
    Oct 13, 2001
    A true breakthrough in the world of gaming. Excellent play and story line. BEST EVER!
  46. RoccoRasco
    Feb 12, 2003
    Best of the series, a blast!
  47. HillaryG.
    Nov 19, 2001
    I hated playstation. My fiance was an additct to tony hawk pro skater 2 so while he was at work i put in a cd (it happened to be year of the dragon) At 3am i was still playing. I haven't finised it cause i dont have the time and every time i sit down i'm glued. It's like crack. I'm now a playstation addict and spryo is what hooked me.
  48. M.M.
    Sep 30, 2002
    This is a great game and I highly recommend this to all gamers. The only part that doesn't exceed my standings is that moneybags is still in the game! I don't mind him once in awhile but he's in every level more than at least once. Your practically giving away your gems for one simple move or other things that can be learned other ways. Other than that this game rocks! I This is a great game and I highly recommend this to all gamers. The only part that doesn't exceed my standings is that moneybags is still in the game! I don't mind him once in awhile but he's in every level more than at least once. Your practically giving away your gems for one simple move or other things that can be learned other ways. Other than that this game rocks! I love how sparx now has his own level! Great job! Expand
  49. Bentleytheyeti
    Jun 26, 2003
    Even if I was'nt the main character, I managed to buy a club for Bartholomew of a fat bear so he could beat up that mean Sorceress!
  50. Gods_Grl
    Mar 25, 2002
    This game is awesome! But it does get confusing when you are trying to get to the next level. Other than that, this game rocks!
  51. MarkD.
    Nov 10, 2006
    This series got better with each sequel untill this - the best cutesy platformer on the PlayStation.
  52. Kasey
    Dec 27, 2006
    This is by FAR my favorite game but I hate those new ones. I like the old Spyro sparx and hunter and the others. Those new ones dont even have the same voice...WHATS UP WITH THAT!?.
  53. Jonny
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game was brilliant. the imaginative levals just make you want to play it through the night. and the music is catchy.
  54. Feb 2, 2013
    The little dragon that could gets his second sequel, which, unlike Ripto's Rage, a game that completely changed the physics and feel of the series, doesn't really spice anything up much. Spyro controls the same this time around. The thing changed the most from the previous games is the focus on Spyro, as there are FIVE other playable characters. Sheila the Kangaroo, Sgt. Byrd the...The little dragon that could gets his second sequel, which, unlike Ripto's Rage, a game that completely changed the physics and feel of the series, doesn't really spice anything up much. Spyro controls the same this time around. The thing changed the most from the previous games is the focus on Spyro, as there are FIVE other playable characters. Sheila the Kangaroo, Sgt. Byrd the... Penguin, Bentley the Yeti, Agent 9 the Monkey, and even Sparx himself is playable. While it's a nice change of pace, the characters feel like padding, and their levels are the least memorable of them all. Though it used to be my favorite as a kid, I have now seen the light and discovered Ripto's Rage! recently to be vastly superior. While it gets rid of annoying elements from 2, like the "soul essence" in favor of gems, and the double jump glitch, it's obviously Insomniac exhausted all of their ideas into the second, and while this is a VERY solid game with memorable levels, cut-scenes and characters, it's not even close to the greatness that is Ripto's Rage! Expand
  55. Dec 20, 2013
    A game that amazed me as a kid and amazes me now. I have recently started playing it after about 10 years and it is bring back my passion for gaming!!
  56. Mar 5, 2014
    The Spyro trilogy was my first set of games ever. I never got tired of playing these games. Spyro 3: Year of The Dragon was a awesome sequel to Spyro 2: Riptos Rage! So, practically, this game describes my childhood, along with many others. The game added many new features to keep it fun, but still not turn away from the other two original Spyro games. It is definitely worth your time andThe Spyro trilogy was my first set of games ever. I never got tired of playing these games. Spyro 3: Year of The Dragon was a awesome sequel to Spyro 2: Riptos Rage! So, practically, this game describes my childhood, along with many others. The game added many new features to keep it fun, but still not turn away from the other two original Spyro games. It is definitely worth your time and money to get this game! That is why I give this game a full 10/10. Expand
  57. Aug 20, 2015
    The best PlayStation 1 game I ever played. Colorful creative levels, memorable characters, outstanding graphics, tight controls and some of the most addicting gameplay you will ever experience. Holds up so well.
  58. Nov 9, 2015
    As a child I would complete this game over and over again without boredom, along with gateway to glimmer (other favourite). So for that, my rating is extremely accurate!
  59. Oct 13, 2013

#4 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 2000
#12 Most Shared PS1 Game of 2000

1. Its true 3D exploratory gameplay, its vast and varied level designs, its colorful cast of characters, and its picture-perfect control create a fantastic atmosphere.
  2. Spank!
    A good, solid 3D platformer that won't disappoint fans of the purple dragon, but may leave fans of the genre feeling a little empty.
  3. Daily Radar
    More creative minigames, a slightly higher difficulty level, superb level design and some of the best realtime graphics the PlayStation has ever seen all make Year of the Dragon a winner.