Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins PlayStation

8.7

1. Aug 23, 2015
    The best one in series. It has great story and characters. Many new stealth kills were added and now we have one story for all three characters, they have different missions and meet each other, so only by finishing all 3 campaigns we will know the story in 100%. Controls were improved, the same with AI which is not that bad this time. Also mission editor is back and it's even better thanThe best one in series. It has great story and characters. Many new stealth kills were added and now we have one story for all three characters, they have different missions and meet each other, so only by finishing all 3 campaigns we will know the story in 100%. Controls were improved, the same with AI which is not that bad this time. Also mission editor is back and it's even better than in first Tenchu. Flat shading is gone, now game has smooth shading so it looks much better, but it doesn't look that good in day missions. Overall great game with huge replay value. Expand
  2. Jun 16, 2013
    Aside from the exceptional Metal Gear Solid Tenchu 2 was probably the best stealth based game available on the PSone. At times it could be frustrating, particularly when fiddly controls or camera problems resulted in failure, but when it all came together it was extremely satisfying. Playing in 2013 the these problems are harder to overlook of course so you’d likely be better finding aAside from the exceptional Metal Gear Solid Tenchu 2 was probably the best stealth based game available on the PSone. At times it could be frustrating, particularly when fiddly controls or camera problems resulted in failure, but when it all came together it was extremely satisfying. Playing in 2013 the these problems are harder to overlook of course so you’d likely be better finding a more modern title, such as Mark of the Ninja, if you’re looking for something in this style. Expand
  3. KarlD.
    Jan 4, 2002
    I didn't play Tenchu 1 but this sequel is really great. Stealth killing and high ninja action is simply fantastic and highly enjoyable. Although some enemies seem dumb, it turns to be quite difficult at times. Many missions with lots of evil ninjas to kill! Great! Live by Honor, Kill by Stealth people!! I have to leave to buy Tenchu 1 to see how the story goes on...quick!!
  4. RobynC.
    Apr 18, 2003
    I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!! Its a cool ninja fest with rikimaru. how comes this thingy will only let me give it a 9 anyway i think it is an 11+ but oh well stupid computer!!!!!!! play it ok!!!! Bye ^-^
    Feb 29, 2004
    I think the game is cool. However i got a defective case. mine says it is 1 or 2 players and i belived it. so i am kinda pissed but it is still a cool game. oh yeah i beat the first 1 and that 1 has alot of blood shed. they can fill a pool with all the blood that comes out. well i gotta go now. good game. ps i got mine 4 $16.11 so that was pretty cool.......
  6. SimonB.
    Aug 16, 2006
    People had been rather stealthful on Tenchu 2 with me. I had barely heard of anything else than "awesome gore" and "great action". However, I was a teen then and like them, I was only attracted to gore and action. In 2006, I have just bought Tenchu 2 for this old PS1 that I have. I am not a graphics-hungry person and it shows when I decide to play games like Rise of the Triad (1993) on my People had been rather stealthful on Tenchu 2 with me. I had barely heard of anything else than "awesome gore" and "great action". However, I was a teen then and like them, I was only attracted to gore and action. In 2006, I have just bought Tenchu 2 for this old PS1 that I have. I am not a graphics-hungry person and it shows when I decide to play games like Rise of the Triad (1993) on my computer that runs Doom 3 somewhat perfectly on medium levels of graphics. But as I played Tenchu 2 (2000), I was struck by something that somewhat disgusted me at first: Cubic, flat, constant textures. Most levels were mainly setting themselves around those very simple polygons that were meant to be houses or walls. I admit, it does the work of setting atmosphere in such a game as Tenchu 2. But God, does it make you feel like you're not really playing on a PS2 at all! I have to make a comment on the way water has been rendered: Imagine an invisible nape where small squares of "would-be sparkles" appear here and there, while your character floats on top of it. Not to mention that when you climb out of the water, whoever your character is, he/she will always climb from that invisible nape of water, instead of the wall he's using to climb up. At that, most animations in the game look poorly rendered and often gives the various ninja exposed in it a very clumsy look. Now, for the actual gameplay. You have various ways to put ends to the lives of your ennemies. At most, it will involve blade and flesh making contact. There are various ways of ending lives, as I've said. If you are the kind of bad boy to be tackling your ennemies with a shotgun, you will get slapped back to your little hole. In here, in the Tenchu neighbourhood, STEALH prevails. Points will be alotted to how stealthfully you perform. In certain missions, it will be highly important to not be seen, as that will usually result in instant defeat. Depending on your level of difficulty, ennemies will also be harder to kill if you refuse to use stealth. On easy, ennemies will have about 20 hp, while on hard, they will range from 40-110. That said, your character has 100 hp. What better reason to simply make a single clean cut instead of having to fight your way through ennemies that make as much damage as you do (if not more) to them? - On a side note, some stealth kills are somewhat impossible to produce on certain occasions. I often found myself needing to do a jump stealth kill but was unable to do so because of some whatever glitch that does not allow you to see below your character as you jump. That often resulted in getting seen by a few ennemies. Do not take me wrong, I am not a newbie at this game, ( Several maps have given me Expert Ninja, Grand Master as rating ) but I do complain that the camera angles sometimes kill the mood, as they make you get seen or fail a mission, sometimes. On a more positive side-note, you may also use ninja items during your quests. You have a maximum category of six items to choose for your mission, out of about 20 different items. The choices are really not hard to make: You'll usually want to take two healing potions, several shurikens and some other useful item you believe you might have to use. Last, but not least... The story. Every mission reveals a bit more of the story as you've begun or finished them. Every mission has its opening and ending cutscene. Though, with either characters, you end your missions with duels against bosses. Something that gave me quite a laugh there, not out of affection. Most boss fights look promising, as some of them have some 200-what hp. Means you'll have a hard time fighting them, but no. Most of the fights end when you've reached a number of their health. Then the boss flees, in most occasions, or is saved by something else. At that, all you have to do is face your enemy and parry their attacks and then reply after they've attempted a strike at you. Different levels of difficulty will make bosses toss things at you, but nothing particularly impossible to dodge. In fact, I found the ending boss as easy as any other boss in the game (aside from the fact the last boss blocks MUCH more of your hits than any other boss). Many downsides, but none that make this game something to fear as a waste. A fun game, if you're a fan of games like Splinter Cell. Expand
  7. Mar 13, 2013
    Tenchu 2 is a fun stealth game with a cheesy but at least enterntaining story and good stealth gameplay. However graphics are poor. But still its worth a reccomendation.

#23 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 2000

1. CNET Gamecenter
    While its predecessor broke new ground in the stealth-action arena, "Tenchu 2" hasn't improved much over the original, and has even taken a step back in some areas.
  2. If you get into this one, it give you that same feeling you had from watching the cheesy 80's Ninja movies all over again, except for the embarrassing dubbing.
    Even with noticeable problems, "Tenchu II" is a rich ninja experience worth its weight in gold.