• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Mar 20, 2002
8.6

1. Jan 16, 2013
    This game brings back so many memories. I had so much fun with this game; it was a blast. However, the game didn't follow the traditional rules because at the time it was released TCG rules were just being established. Had it been released maybe a year later with those rules in place, I bet it'd be the most Yu-Gi-OH! game ever made. The battles were a litte weird in that you couldn't control when Trap cards were activated, A.I. was predictable, the Spoils system made no sense whatsoever and buying cards was pointless because any card of real worth costed a number of Starchips almost impossible to obtain.

If you love Yu-Gi-Oh!, this is a game for you. I'd also say it's a good game to get you into Yu-Gi-Oh! (along with the cartoon show) if you know nothing about it.
  2. Jul 14, 2013
    Ok, I just HAD to review this game. It's so crappy it becomes lovable. Story is non-existent, but who cares, the combat is actually kind of fun and interesting. You start a game with a deck of randomly thrown together crap cards. The entire point of this game is that you can combine 2 or more cards together to produce stronger cards. You can combine your entire hand if you wanted! The fun is discovering and remembering a huge number of card combination recipes. Also, the combinations appear to change from game to game, so if you got stuck with a bad deck or set of recipes, you pretty much had to start over because this game is....

HARD. Oh my goodness is it difficult. Your opponents will never have any trouble completely wrecking you. Near the end of the game, I actually transported my disk contents to PC so I could cheat with a program that would give me every card in the game and infinite starchips (which seems to be a requirement if you want to beat it).

Even with this obvious advantage, I had to fight the last few bosses multiple times because I'm not kidding they would completely wreck you in one turn. You had to get the PERFECT hand to win. Of course it's not hard to figure out how this happened. This is what lazy game designers do when they run out of time to put real content in a game. Hey, we're out of time, let's just crank up the difficultly! That'll make things seem like an engaging and fun experience!

Well no, it didn't. But the game is so terrible it's charming.
  3. Jul 21, 2013
    Graphics 6/10 Sound 7/10 Gameplay 5/10 Value 6/10 While this game is fun to play it does not deserve more than a 6 considering the disastrous flaws it has. It lacks a simple tutorial to tell you how to play the game perfectly, and how to fuse cards. Most good cards with 2000+ ATK cost 999,999 Starchips and you ONLY earn 5 starchips per duel on S rank. Do you know what this means? Consider that you have the free time to play 100 duels per day and you got an S in all the duels. You will earn only 500 Starchips per day. Multiply this by 365 days you will only get 182,500 Starchips per year which means it requires about 6 years to get all the 999,999 starchips just to buy a single card! (that considering you don't use the memory card trick).
    Also lots of cards left unobtainable, like the Magician of Black Chaos on the cover of the box, MoBC cannot be earned legitimately in this game, you will have to cheat or use a gameshark in order to unlock it,. This card has a drop rate of 0, and it costs the ridiculous amount 999,999 starchips.
    Not to mention how this stupid game is grossly biased towards the AI. The rules that apply to you don't apply to the AI. Like for example you cannot summon Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon legitimately without using a ritual card and 3 Blue-Eyes White Dragons on the field. The computer has 3 standalone BEUD's and 90% of the time it will summon them for you in the first turn (Seto 3rd and sometimes Nitemare) .
    Same thing applies to B. Skull Dragon and Gate Guardian, it has 3 copies of these in its deck. while you cannot summon B. Skull Dragon without a fusion summon (you will need at least three cards to summon BSD), same with Gate Guradian (you will have to own the ritual card and Sanga, Kazejin & Suijin on the field in order to summon it!.)
    Just an advice, borrow this game before you buy it.
  4. Oct 25, 2013
    Amazing game! Hugely nostalgic for me(my third ps1 game), Yugioh Forbidden Memories remains one of my favorite ps1 games of all time. Amazing sound, gameplay, prize-reward system, campaign, free duels, cards, fusions, and most especially: lasting power. I have played this game for years and restart on one of my memory cards a bunch just to have the challenge and fun start again. Great Game!
  5. Mar 12, 2014
    This game can be very difficult and each duel is mainly down to getting the right cards at the start. Plenty of grinding is required, but i found it strangely addicting.
  6. Sep 12, 2014
    GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME!GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME!GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME!GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME!GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME! GreAt GAME!
  7. Sep 13, 2014
    Para quem é fã esse é um jogo altamente adorado, para que não é ele é de mediano para ruim. De todos os games da saga Yu Gi esse é o melhor e mais aclamado palos fãs. Por seu desafio acima da media que nos prende horas a fio em busca de cartas raras e melhorando nossa estrategias marcou seu nome no legado do primeiro console da Sony.
  8. Oct 3, 2014
    This game brings back a lot of nostalgia, so I thought I'd play through it again and after heavy grinding (there is a lot of that in this game) I managed to beat it, I just want to say off the bat that if the sound of endless grinding, rules different to that of the actual card game and absolutely nothing being explained sounds about as appealing as setting up a mosque next to a BNP member's house then this game is not for you. However those willing to tolerate this will find an addictive game with great music, fantastic re-playability and cartoony graphics that have aged very well, with the exception of some 3D battles that look a bit jagged of course.
    I must say I do love the fact that the game leaves you to your own devices, it is a very strict mistress with cards requiring an extortionate amount of starchips (the currency) to redeem, losing once causing the game to end and **** all being explained, though all of this difficulty does make what would otherwise be a very short game to have organic length and the rush of success being so overcoming that when you beat the game or get the card you want, you will literally jump for joy. To be honest I think a game like this is best for the time we live in, where walkthroughs can be found at a single click, so when the difficulty curves (which good God does it curve) you can at least find out how to overcome your predicament, that being said I do certainly understand why critics shat upon this game, as of course they only have so long to review this game and as I said before, this game is a harsh mistress and if you don't appreciate it for what it is, YFM certainly won't appreciate you either. Additionally the game is very much luck-based, as success can rely upon the good pulls you got from grinding, the random deck you were given at the beginning, whether or not your fusions work (which is trial and error) and if an enemy pulls out certain cards you're more or less ****ed from the get-go. Once again this game can be cruel but you know what in an age of shooter hand-holding an condescending tutorials, I would not have it any other way.

1. Modern TCG fans will probably either love it for being simple and different, or hate it for being old and unlike the current game.
  2. Daunting difficulty and narrow appeal...There are teeth of mine I'd pull with a pair of pliers rather than play this card game ever again.
  3. I would ultimately recommend this for either someone who has played the card game before or someone who has a lot of time to go through and write down or memorize the card combos and fusion results, since everything is trial and error.