Chessmaster: The Art of Learning PSP

• Also On: PC
8.4

1. JackK.
    Mar 2, 2008
    Way better than I would have expected. The learning dynamic is really cool. For example, it's not just a chess playing game, it's game that gets you better at playing chess. Like, in real life. Play this for a while and you'll find yourself capable of slamming RL friends on an actual chess board!
  2. NedG.
    Mar 4, 2008
    It's hard to believe, but the graphics are great. See for yourself. PS it's not about the graphics at all, but it's good to know isn't it?
  3. HaroldW.
    Mar 5, 2008
    spectacular puzzle game. clearly it's not COD4, but that's the point. if you're sick of games being marketed solely for their graphics and how many headshots you can get, this is the game for you.
    Jun 2, 2008
    Pretty average. Interface is clean, however the game itself is quite bland. The tutorials are lame and I do not see how they could possibly improve your chess skills. Even the Chessmaster available on the mobile (java) has infinitely more tutorials/set games to improve your skills. Definitely disappointing.
  5. roberta
    Oct 17, 2008
    Game needs classic games; maybe just kasparov and fisher games. Give players the option of bigger board by cutting out ai opponent's picture if they want. Computer comments maybe but no chess related side games please.
  6. IlaW.
    Feb 27, 2008
    A chess game that has a lot of INTERESTING options is a very tough thing to find. Most have several good options and everything after that is merely a small variation on the theme. This game however is packed to the gills with an amazing array of options, modes, mini games, learning tools, extra features
  7. BarberL.
    Mar 2, 2008
    Really interesting game. for those of you thinking, clever beings who still play games for reasons other than graphics and explosions, this is a great game for the PSP.
  8. AubriG.
    Mar 2, 2008
    Whenever I see these little underhyped sorts of games I get excited - I prefer the underground stuff. This game is underground, and for good reason. I don't know anybody other than maybe my friends in Germany who are in to chess! It would be awesome to see this on the Wii, but on PSP it's great. I play it every morning on the way to college, and if there's a chess club on Whenever I see these little underhyped sorts of games I get excited - I prefer the underground stuff. This game is underground, and for good reason. I don't know anybody other than maybe my friends in Germany who are in to chess! It would be awesome to see this on the Wii, but on PSP it's great. I play it every morning on the way to college, and if there's a chess club on campus I'm considering joining it! Expand
  9. YouralgebraTeacher
    Mar 4, 2008
    I found one of my students playing this in class and confiscated his PSP, which I found out later that he was playing a chess video game! I didn't know such a thing existed. Long story short... I ended up getting it for myself (and a PSP). As a high school algebra teacher I feel that it is my right to exercise logical playtime in between classes!
  10. GregoryC.
    Feb 26, 2008
    The long anticipated PSP version is awesome. I wondered how they were gonna work the control scheme for a chess game on the PSP. I
  11. CharlesE.
    Feb 27, 2008
    I wish I had this years ago. My game would have been improved so much faster than it took. I studied the game a long time to reach the level I
  12. Mar 2, 2016
    I believe that this chess game is very useful to people who plan to go to hospital fields because this game gets you acquainted with the color white and requires surgical precision but just like a hospital, showing this to the correct group of people will cause people to commit suicide.

There are a lot of modes and games to get into and the stat-tracking profiles let you see how far you've come. However, the presentation is completely phoned-in and will make you wonder why the hell this budget-looking title is priced at $30.
  2. Just don’t expect to do well against the seemingly impossible programmed computer opponents.
  3. Don't expect much in the way of useful tuition if you're an experienced player but for the novice this is a superb place to start.