Corpse Party PSP

8.5

1. Feb 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fantastic game almost ruined by its horrible ending. I loved this game, I loved the voice acting, the soundtrack, the story, everything! Except when I got to the end. This is obviously a huge spoiler, so reader beware. So at the end of the game, you find out that the Nexus makes it so that anyone who dies in the Nexus doesn't exist anymore. First off, that makes no sense, second of all, that's a terrible writing choice. It was pretty much there way of ending the game without having to worry about any loose ends like "Oh hey, where did my kid go?" So obviously, if they didn't exist, then any of the events before the Nexus probably couldn't have happened, right? And if you say it only effects things after they die, then how do the parent explain having an entire bedroom devoted to someone who never existed? Another reason this ending makes no sense is because Naho Saenoki (the creepy paranormal girl) purposefully wrote the wrong instructions on her website so more kids would get killed. But Naho dies in the Nexus. See where I'm going with this? SHE DOESN'T EXIST. Her website doesn't exist! So none of this COULD have happened! This is one of the reasons I always hate the "this never happened" endings in video games, it's messy and it's lazy. Finally, plot holes aside, the biggest reason I hated this ending was because at the very end, the VERY end, when you kill the big bad, and you've spent the entire game trying to save the freaking world, The ghost girl just straight up tells you "Nope! That thing I said would work? Yeah, it won't! All your friends are going to be in Hell now!" That was a low blow. It's not just because you can't save everyone that makes me mad, it's because the game TOLD you you could, and that was the goal of the entire latter half of the game. It's like playing Majora's Mask, only to have the moon kill everyone in the world no matter what you do. I was also attached to the characters, and the teacher's bonus chapter made me very sad in particular. Like I said, I REALLY loved the rest of this game, but that was such a low blow that it ruined it for me right at the end. So yeah, everyone goes to hell, and it's gonna happen forever. Thanks game. Expand

#3 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2011
#4 Most Shared PSP Game of 2011

1. Feb 27, 2012
    If you're going to spend the $20 on Corpse Party, it is very important to know what you're getting into. This is not a "game," but an interactive novel with video game elements that, for the most part, aren't very good. You will get frustrated and lost a few times, but if you stick with it and keep a cool head, Corpse Party will reward you with an unsettling story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. The game doesn't shy away from violence so be prepared to sit through some really disturbing and uncomfortable moments.
  2. games(TM)
    Jan 29, 2012
    It's extremely rare that a game would be better with less gameplay. [Issue#118, p.113]
  3. Jan 10, 2012
    Corpse Party proves that a minimalistic approach can get some of the best results when it comes to horror. If a little blood gets you weak in the knees, this game is not for you.