8.5

1. Feb 14, 2016
    So you will know what type of gamer is writing this review, I'll list my favorite games.
    Fire Emblem, Danganronpa, Atelier Totori.
    Story: Definently not on Danganronpas level or even 999s or Virtues Last Rewards, but it wasn't necessarily a bad story. It was a bit hard to follow at times and I'll list some reasons why further down in this review. No spoilers though of course. Music:
    Fire Emblem, Danganronpa, Atelier Totori.

Music: meh, not good or bad

Gameplay: The gameplay was the worst i have ever played in any visual novel. The controls were a problem during one escape scene and there are a few other complaints i have. No fast foward or skip button. This game needed that function like you need coffee in the morning. You will have to rewatch lenghty dialogue scenes many, many times. Also, this game had no map. This was intended of course but i hated this fact. The exploration is full of backtracking and with no map.

Graphics: ...Not the best. The people who made this game didnt have much money at this point so graphics look like a gameboy advance game. I actually heard that this was made on rpg maker. The characters art are nicely done though.

Voice acting: Just in case you didnt know, there is no english dub. Everything is in japanese and it is constantly voice acted which was quiet suprising. This was my first game with no english dubs and i really didnt care for the experience. The constant japanese voice acting kept distracting me as i was trying to read the text. Also, the screams and crying are obnoxious. They are so loud and lenghty and come from nowhere so you dont hardly have time to turn down the vita or psp.

In Depth Review: First thing i would like to say is the game is not worth the 20 dollar price tag. It was rather short, only about 10 hours. Some of the characters in the game looked very similar such as they had the same hair color and wore the same uniform. This caused some confusion when trying to keep up with who's who. Also, you dont get to know the characters much at all before you have to start remembering names. There was many times someone was mentioned that i had no clue who they were. The story wasnt the best and I didnt even understand one part of the ending. I believe much of my trouble lies with the fact that this game wasnt dubbed in english though. I just couldnt get as absorbed into the game without it speaking my language so my concentration wasnt at its best. You will also need a walkthrough for this game most likely unless you plan to start over from the last save point many times over and rewatch a lot of scenes and dialogue. The game consist of exploration, story scenes, and some slight puzzle moments.

I really wanted to make this series work for me so i will play the second soon and will be writing its review soon as well. You should also know this game has some fanservice but very little and also had some perfainity including gd. Id still reccomend it to someone but dont play it after just coming off Danganronpa or 999 as you will likely judge it rather harshly. I also hear the second Corpse Party game is mostly dialogue with little gameplay which im glad about.

Hope it helps,
  2. Feb 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fantastic game almost ruined by its horrible ending. I loved this game, I loved the voice acting, the soundtrack, the story, everything! Except when I got to the end. This is obviously a huge spoiler, so reader beware. So at the end of the game, you find out that the Nexus makes it so that anyone who dies in the Nexus doesn't exist anymore. First off, that makes no sense, second of all, that's a terrible writing choice. It was pretty much there way of ending the game without having to worry about any loose ends like "Oh hey, where did my kid go?" So obviously, if they didn't exist, then any of the events before the Nexus probably couldn't have happened, right? And if you say it only effects things after they die, then how do the parent explain having an entire bedroom devoted to someone who never existed? Another reason this ending makes no sense is because Naho Saenoki (the creepy paranormal girl) purposefully wrote the wrong instructions on her website so more kids would get killed. But Naho dies in the Nexus. See where I'm going with this? SHE DOESN'T EXIST. Her website doesn't exist! So none of this COULD have happened! This is one of the reasons I always hate the "this never happened" endings in video games, it's messy and it's lazy. Finally, plot holes aside, the biggest reason I hated this ending was because at the very end, the VERY end, when you kill the big bad, and you've spent the entire game trying to save the freaking world, The ghost girl just straight up tells you "Nope! That thing I said would work? Yeah, it won't! All your friends are going to be in Hell now!" That was a low blow. It's not just because you can't save everyone that makes me mad, it's because the game TOLD you you could, and that was the goal of the entire latter half of the game. It's like playing Majora's Mask, only to have the moon kill everyone in the world no matter what you do. I was also attached to the characters, and the teacher's bonus chapter made me very sad in particular. Like I said, I REALLY loved the rest of this game, but that was such a low blow that it ruined it for me right at the end. So yeah, everyone goes to hell, and it's gonna happen forever. Thanks game. Expand

#3 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2011
#8 Most Shared PSP Game of 2011

1. Feb 27, 2012
    If you're going to spend the $20 on Corpse Party, it is very important to know what you're getting into. This is not a "game," but an interactive novel with video game elements that, for the most part, aren't very good. You will get frustrated and lost a few times, but if you stick with it and keep a cool head, Corpse Party will reward you with an unsettling story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. The game doesn't shy away from violence so be prepared to sit through some really disturbing and uncomfortable moments.
  2. games(TM)
    Jan 29, 2012
    It's extremely rare that a game would be better with less gameplay. [Issue#118, p.113]
  3. Jan 10, 2012
    Corpse Party proves that a minimalistic approach can get some of the best results when it comes to horror. If a little blood gets you weak in the knees, this game is not for you.