Field Commander PSP

7.8

1. NickS.
    Aug 11, 2006
    I have to agree with DJFIL, I have not played Advanced War but from what I've heard, it appears to be the better game. This however does not mean I am disappointed with Field Commander, the graphics are ok, the sounds are good, and its indeed very playable. I am not too sure that turn based strategy games is the way forward, the AI does not appear to be the smartest and some rounds I have to agree with DJFIL, I have not played Advanced War but from what I've heard, it appears to be the better game. This however does not mean I am disappointed with Field Commander, the graphics are ok, the sounds are good, and its indeed very playable. I am not too sure that turn based strategy games is the way forward, the AI does not appear to be the smartest and some rounds appear to take an eternity (saving and buying new armoury then push forward, retreat, save and buy new armoury, push forward). Maybe I'm not the best tactitionist but I don't feel it gives me more options. Nevertheless, good game, worth buying, long life span....that's what counts at the end of the day. Expand
    Apr 18, 2006
    Good, but sucks compared to Advance Wars: Dual Strike.
  3. MoeS.
    Oct 17, 2006
    This game is half decent as for all the advanced wars comments do people think AW was the first turnbased strategy game? I think I'll go post on AW and accuse them of ripping off panzer general etc.
  4. DanH.
    Jul 17, 2006
    Decent turn-based strategy, but doesn't even compare to Advance Wars DS. Advance Wars DS has way better maps, AI, CO's, personallity, and replayability. This feels so much half-baked compared to it.
  5. Dec 8, 2012
    For all its flaws, "Field Commander" still manages to be fun and playable. I disagree with reviewers who claim this game cannot be compared to "Advance Wars." After all, if this can't match that game, why waste your time?

Pros: -The closest you're going to get to "Advance Wars" on PSP. -Actually improves on some gameplay mechanics from "Advance Wars." -Fairly long Single Player

Pros:
    -The closest you're going to get to "Advance Wars" on PSP.
    -Actually improves on some gameplay mechanics from "Advance Wars."
    -Fairly long Single Player campaign with plenty of variety in map design.
    -An over the top story with over the top characters; just what you'd expect.
    -Plenty of unit variety to keep things interesting.
    -Multiplayer is great. Play every map, and even edited ones, over the internet, either live or by an email system. Or you can play on with a friend on the same PSP.

Cons:
    -Laughable AI makes battles difficult only when the AI severely outnumbers you.
    -Unit models are... Meh. I prefer the straightforward unit appearance in "Advance Wars." The 3D models are creative, but made me a bit confused at times.
    -For a brand that builds its name on Graphics, this game can't say the same. The models could have looked a little better.
    -Only 2 people can play at once; that's a bit disappointing. I was looking forward to 3 player free for all, but no luck there.

So, as you can see, the pros far outweigh the cons. Singleplayer will keep you busy for a while, but I think you'll find more enjoyment in the Multiplayer options. Find a friend, play, and you've remedied the main problem with "Field Commander," the AI. If you still play your PSP, add this game to your library if you haven't already. It's great to add variety if nothing else.

#23 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2006
#22 Most Shared PSP Game of 2006

1. PSM Magazine
    The strategy angle comes from the different abilities of each unit...assuming they're each on a different level (air, land,etc.). [May 2006, p.85]
  2. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine