7.9

1. May 14, 2011
    My first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy XII so I'm quite a newcomer to the series. Since then I've played VII, VIII, XIII, III, and IV. Now before venturing into this game I was well aware that many thought this game only appealed to fans from long ago. In my experience however I've gotten quite addicted to it. I'm not really sure what it is about this game but other than the art much ofMy first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy XII so I'm quite a newcomer to the series. Since then I've played VII, VIII, XIII, III, and IV. Now before venturing into this game I was well aware that many thought this game only appealed to fans from long ago. In my experience however I've gotten quite addicted to it. I'm not really sure what it is about this game but other than the art much of this game is far too old. First off, the gameplay is not only extremely simple, but extremely easy. Much of your commands will involve holding down circle until one of your team mates are low on health, which will take a while. There are also quite a lot of random encounters, which really bugged me at first but I got used to them fairly quickly. You should also understand that there is no story in this game, you will relate with none of the characters and most of your quests are about killing someone to save someone or fetching something to do something. Probably my biggest criticism about this game is that is does nothing to help guide you to your objectives. The game's simplicity is perfect for playing on a bus or in a line but because of the extremely ambiguous goals, you'll often find yourself looking up what to do on a strategy guide. That being said I really do like the retro and simple feel of the game as well as the amazing art but it could have been much more fun with an objective marker. Expand
  2. AB
    Jul 8, 2007
    Without a doubt, the original Final Fantasy is a true classic; sadly, the Anniversary remake does not update the gameplay. Instead, by making only graphical and auditory changes, it allows this aged masterpiece to rust rather than shine.
  3. Nov 4, 2010
    I began my goal of playing all Final Fantasy games through in order with, obviously, Final Fantasy I. I thought, might as well go with the newer PSP version and see how I like it. This game is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's outdated. Unfortunately, the fact that it's so archaic without real characters or a story make it feel like a chore in some instances. Not to mention the fact thatI began my goal of playing all Final Fantasy games through in order with, obviously, Final Fantasy I. I thought, might as well go with the newer PSP version and see how I like it. This game is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's outdated. Unfortunately, the fact that it's so archaic without real characters or a story make it feel like a chore in some instances. Not to mention the fact that the random fights pop of much more frequently here than they do in the sequels. It's a difficult game, not for those who're planning on taking an RPG lightly. With this said, I do recommend it to those of you who are interested in seeking out the roots to a noteworthy series of games, or those of you who've played the original version, which I haven't, so I can't really tell you what's all been improved upon and changed. Expand

1. My feelings are a lot less mixed about the fact that the Anniversary project is basically just a PSP post of "Dawn of Souls" with the two games sold separately. [June 2007, p.83]
    Gamers who are used to contemporary titles may find this one a little too simplistic and old for their tastes but if you can look beyond that, you'll be treated to an amazing rendition of a classic console RPG. [July 2007, p.86]
  3. Distressingly little effort went into crafting this anniversary package: Square Enix merely cobbled together aspects from the PS1 and GBA remakes, touched up the graphics with high-resolution art, and added one new, ultra-difficult dungeon at the game's end. [July 2007, p.95]