7.7

1. Oct 5, 2011
    Final Fantasy 1 for the NES is one of my alltime favorite games. I cut my teeth on the original as a young teen and have played several remakes. I picked up the PSP Anniversary edition on sale while I was browsing a shop thinking what the heck. I was amazed at how clean and fresh the graphics are, the sound and music are great. The additional content is also a bonus, but I haven't had a chance to explore it yet. My only complaint is the removal of the 4000g Silver Sword that you could buy once you got the ship. Other than that I'd highly recommend this to anyone who loves a solid classic RPG with present day graphics. This is without a doubt the best remake of FF1 available, if you have a PSP don't pass this up. Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    I'm not really sure if I understand the negativity that this game is receiving. While this game is indeed intensely retro, the gameplay has been greatly tweaked (now we have MP - a MUCH needed addition), the graphics have been lovingly enhanced from the PSX version, and the music, like the PSX version, has been wonderfully reimainged, unlike other Final Fnatasy ports, where the music is 'new' but largely identical. The story in its elements is still good in a fairy-tale type of way, although as a cohesive whole, the story is quite weak, admittedly. While Final Fantasy, at least starting with part IV (II US), played out more like a novel or a movie, this original entry plays out more like a TV series or collection of fables, but these episodes or short stories are sometimes interesting. Lastly, in addition to the new MP system for magic, by adding Dash abilities, quicker leveling and removing some lackluster battle system elements allows this game to play out a lot faster than originally; I think you could probably beat the game in about half the time despite accomplishing just as much. Expand
  3. May 23, 2013
    Being a Final Fantasy fan since the early days of my childhood, coming back to the first Final Fantasy in an anniversary form was a great joy. I've played the Origins version on the first Playstation and I loved it.
    Now coming to a remake that is actually a whole re-imagining of the original. Not only was I swept off my feet from the new enhanced graphics, but the cut scenes, the music,
    and the new magic system have greatly made a difference to how I felt about this remake. It's not only just a remake though, there are new dungeons, new items and equipment, and some really interesting bosses and enemies that have made their way from other Final Fantasy titles. Most notably are the new dungeons, and enemies that accompany them. The magic system has been revamped for the newer generation, it resembles the newer Final Fantasies using Magic Points instead of a fixed amount of spells. New items such as Ethers, Phoenix Downs and Elixirs are introduced, making the game seem familiar to new players not used to the original game, but also makes the game a lot more easier to play compared to the original. The characters and towns are beautiful and well detailed, with added special effects on field screens and over world screen. The battles are well done, enemies now look awesome compared to older versions, also with great looking spells and backgrounds, making the game seamlessly go from battle to field screen. Most Final Fantasy fans will remember the long hours of grinding to level up for a certain dungeon, it is essentially the same as the original but now with more levels to earn. This along with the new items, dungeons and bosses, creates an experience that resembles the famous Final Fantasy that everybody knows and loves. Aside from the main quest are the dungeons that really brings challenge and a few new but familiar places. (FF3 fans will be surprised to see the 8-bit dungeon remade.) The bosses that come with them are absolutely amazing to battle, some being enemies from other FF titles, and new versions of classic enemies are scattered throughout all the new dungeons. Although there are some new places to explore, none of them really create any new stories or plot lines, but they do give you some really awesome treasure. Just like the versions before it, Final Fantasy is a game where exploring and talking to townsfolk are the only ways to find out what to do next, so unless you have beaten this before, actually talk to the people in the game, or you have a guide, you'll be stuck trying to figure out what to do next. The story in the game is simple and lacks the compelling edge of your your seat feeling, but overall it reminds you that a great game doesn't need full motion cut scenes or long dialogue to make you want to save the world. If you haven't played FF1 before, this would be a great way to start your journey down the Final Fantasy road. But fans of the first game would want to check this out as well, an amazing journey that has been revamped and puts you back in the shoes of the glory days, when Final Fantasy was brand new and exciting to play.
    Gameplay: 9/10 Graphics: 10/10 Audio: 10/10 Story: 9/10 One of the best Final Fantasies!

1. My feelings are a lot less mixed about the fact that the Anniversary project is basically just a PSP post of "Dawn of Souls" with the two games sold separately. [June 2007, p.83]
    Gamers who are used to contemporary titles may find this one a little too simplistic and old for their tastes but if you can look beyond that, you'll be treated to an amazing rendition of a classic console RPG. [July 2007, p.86]
  3. Distressingly little effort went into crafting this anniversary package: Square Enix merely cobbled together aspects from the PS1 and GBA remakes, touched up the graphics with high-resolution art, and added one new, ultra-difficult dungeon at the game's end. [July 2007, p.95]