7.2

1. StephenS.
    Oct 22, 2009
    At first I was a little skeptical about whether or not i shuld get this game. I couldn't imagine gta with a top down view and there was so much that could go wrong. I am happy to say that all of my fears were unfounded and am thoroughly enjoying this game. I like this game so much that i think that this is the way to go with the portable series of gta from now on. This game really At first I was a little skeptical about whether or not i shuld get this game. I couldn't imagine gta with a top down view and there was so much that could go wrong. I am happy to say that all of my fears were unfounded and am thoroughly enjoying this game. I like this game so much that i think that this is the way to go with the portable series of gta from now on. This game really gave the series the fresh breath it needed. Great game and I recommend this to anyone looking for another great psp game to add to their library. Expand
  2. Sep 9, 2011
    Take-Two have obviously payed for reviews. The game is well structured, and is fun quite a lot, but it's not amazing. I would recommend you buy it, but don't expect something amazing.
  3. MutiG
    Oct 30, 2009
    This game must be phenomenal on the DS. It may even be a breakthrough game. This is NOT the case on the PSP. There have already been two GTAs on the PSP, and they both trump Chinatown Wars in every way. The graphics are a HUGE backstep, and there are NO VOICE OVERS! The gameplay has been dumbed down, and the characters are candy coated and pg-13. I am not sure where all this positive This game must be phenomenal on the DS. It may even be a breakthrough game. This is NOT the case on the PSP. There have already been two GTAs on the PSP, and they both trump Chinatown Wars in every way. The graphics are a HUGE backstep, and there are NO VOICE OVERS! The gameplay has been dumbed down, and the characters are candy coated and pg-13. I am not sure where all this positive attention is coming from, but I can tell you one thing, the cheers originate from DS owners, and we are simply hearing echoes on the PSP. I am not saying Chinatown wars is a bad game, it is just not NEARLY as good as either of the other two offerings on the PSP. Congratulations DS, you finally have one in your stable. PSP owners, keep your expectations low. Expand
  4. tahsins
    Dec 3, 2009
    If you didn't play it on ds, then this is a must buy. but I've played and finished the ds version, and when playing this one I got bored, since there isn't much change in gameplay. but psp version is the one to go since graphics and animations are way better than ds plus the bigger screen.
  5. CruzU
    Oct 20, 2009
    Great game..! And also very, very fun... Once you see Grand Theft Auto on any title, you will know it will be a very fun experience. No GTA title disappoints, well, maybe GTA IV, because it was such a downgrade with the limited space they had to work with... But it was still a very good experience. Clearly one of the best games on the PSP to date.
  6. Dr.Ghettoblaster
    Oct 21, 2009
    First off, big improvement over DS version. Only thing missing is stylus controls on mini-games - so this version uses buttons. Big deal. Everything else is an upgrade and plays/looks fantastic. Very impressive. It's like playing GTA3/4 from top down view.
  7. NathanE.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Chinatown Wars is without a doubt one of the best PSP games I've ever played. Anyone saying the gameplay isn't as immersive as other GTA games didn't give this one enough time. At first I wasn't a fan of going back to the top down look, even though this time around the cars and cities are rendered in 3D. It took me a while to get used to, but once I did, I was hooked. Chinatown Wars is without a doubt one of the best PSP games I've ever played. Anyone saying the gameplay isn't as immersive as other GTA games didn't give this one enough time. At first I wasn't a fan of going back to the top down look, even though this time around the cars and cities are rendered in 3D. It took me a while to get used to, but once I did, I was hooked. It has some of the funnest missions I've played in any GTA game. It's obvious the game was designed with handhelds in mind. This time around in the GTA universe, you don't have to show up at a contact point at a specific in game time, meaning if there's a mission available on your radar, you won't have any down time before you decide to tackle it. A huge improvement on the whole series, even though I only expect it to stick around for the handheld games. The story isn't anything astounding. It offers plenty of plot twists, but only a few of them actually caught me off guard. The ending is also incredibly weak. It's a great thing the gameplay can make up for this. Alongside the story missions available, there are plenty of things to do in this slightly scaled down Liberty City. You can do all of the normal GTA side missions, such as taxi fares and taking down criminals in your stolen cop car, but this time around you can be a tattoo artist, sell and buy drugs with a very well implemented trade system, or opt to destroy all of the hidden cameras located on top of buildings or other structures scattered around the city. Chinatown Wars may not be the best GTA around, but it's certainly the best handheld. Expand
  8. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the kind of game that you really have to play to get into it's atmosphere. Apart from the perspective, it has as much content as any other modern GTA, and even more than the other two PSP titles. I guess people that complain about the viewing perspective of the game and the toned down, cartoonish graphics have no idea where GTA is coming from. Expand
  9. SteveP
    Dec 13, 2009
    My actual vote would be closer to 6, but I guess I need to offset Federico, who clearly didn't actually play the game but gets to give it a score anyway. Chinatown Wars is a graphically huge step back to GTA2, with very little of the humor prevalent in the past several GTA games. As someone else mentioned, this GTA probably pushes the DS to its limits, but I expect more than a My actual vote would be closer to 6, but I guess I need to offset Federico, who clearly didn't actually play the game but gets to give it a score anyway. Chinatown Wars is a graphically huge step back to GTA2, with very little of the humor prevalent in the past several GTA games. As someone else mentioned, this GTA probably pushes the DS to its limits, but I expect more than a straight port for the PSP. Expand
  10. Nov 15, 2011
    this is not gta. its a crap game. Are we in the PSone era? No where in the PS3 era. Do not make a crap game like this again rockstar. I took it back and lied and said it was broken and got my money back!
  11. Oct 18, 2013
    Awful.
    This is why GTA should never try another formula like Overhead
    Action is bad, controls are awful, and impossible to shoot anything.
    A waste of money, stay away
  12. FedericoAa
    Nov 4, 2009
    I absolutely do not understand how a game about being a scoundrel, robbing cars, dealing drugs, beating people up, and sabotaging order can get such a high score from professional reviewers. It truly saddens me to see how society favours this instead of banning it. But I guess that's human nature is simple, you give them evil as a choice, and they take it. No wonder the world is coming down.
  13. trixw
    Dec 28, 2009
    Didn't like the music, the gameplay is less immersive than the other GTA games, weak story...not a 10.
  14. Jan 1, 2013
    Chinatown really packs a punch and makes GTA III look Old fashioned. The cutscenes are Retro style and the story is excellent. A worthy game indeed and really should have an award for best agme on PSP.
  15. Jun 1, 2015
    Bought this game on a blind hunch. Worst hunch ever. Possibly the most bland, tacky, uninteresting and boring GTA game ever. They completely wasted their time putting in all the rampages, unique stunts and extra missions because I'm never going to play them. Not only that, but the controls are extremely annoying and inconvenient and the game does not always let you do what you want to do.Bought this game on a blind hunch. Worst hunch ever. Possibly the most bland, tacky, uninteresting and boring GTA game ever. They completely wasted their time putting in all the rampages, unique stunts and extra missions because I'm never going to play them. Not only that, but the controls are extremely annoying and inconvenient and the game does not always let you do what you want to do. It seems like absolutely no effort was put into making this an immersive or even relevant game, no decent dialogue scenes or voice actors, just cut out art scenes with text. Games like GTA III completely own this game despite being it released about 8 years earlier. This is a pathetic excuse for a GTA game, and possibly the worst game to waste money on. Don't waste your time with this. Rockstar put zero effort into making this good and you should not put any effort into playing or buying this. Ignore the critics reviewing this as they have almost certainly been paid to write positive lies about this abhorrent piece of garbage. Avoid. Expand
  16. PimpieB
    Oct 23, 2009
    Finally, another GTA for the PSP and it doesn't disappoint. For all the GTA - PSP fans, this one is a must have.
  17. DrDrew
    Jan 12, 2010
    I like the return to top down while retaining lots of modern GTA features. Looks great on PSP. Also to Federico Aa, despite your moral objections, the game is fun. Go play "Hello Kitty Island Adventure"
  18. TonyW
    Nov 27, 2009
    An outstanding, long lasting game that actually beats the DS version that I loved. The top down view works to the games favour and does not detract at all from the experience... possible enhances it. Every PSP owner need to try this well worth your cash.
  19. MatthewC.
    Oct 23, 2009
    gta chinatown wars is the greatest gta game to be on a nintendo console and portable one too. the ds version was awesome along with the psp much is good with extras too. the game is very cool.
  20. MarcDoyle(GamesEditor&Co-Founder-Metacritic)
    Oct 23, 2009
    GameSpy reviewed GTA: Chinatown Wars (PSP), but they have since removed the review from their site. I removed the review exerpt and 70 score (originally a 3.5 stars on their site) from Metacritic after speaking with the GameSpy team regarding the situation. I am satified that GameSpy's decision to de-publish the review was an independent and principled one. Per GameSpy's GameSpy reviewed GTA: Chinatown Wars (PSP), but they have since removed the review from their site. I removed the review exerpt and 70 score (originally a 3.5 stars on their site) from Metacritic after speaking with the GameSpy team regarding the situation. I am satified that GameSpy's decision to de-publish the review was an independent and principled one. Per GameSpy's Editor's Note: "We have decided to remove our review of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars after finding some factual inaccuracies in the text. We apologize for the error and any confusion this might have caused, but we're dedicated to making sure we bring you the most informed and honest reviews possible." (http://bit.ly/3Kak8v) Metacritic's original excerpt taken from the de-published review reads as follows: "So, while Chinatown Wars is a solid, entertaining title for the PSP, it simply lacks the oomph and 'oh wow!' factor that it had on DS." Expand
  21. MarcDoyle(GamesEditor&Co-Founder-Metacritic)
  22. Feb 8, 2011
    This game is really fun. I think this is one of the funniest GTA on psp. The graphics isn't like the other one but its still good. I love this game. The story is great and the gameplay is just right. One of psp best action driving games. One of my favorite psp games. Different from the other gta games but it still have the same story line and gameplay with a lot of extra. Love theThis game is really fun. I think this is one of the funniest GTA on psp. The graphics isn't like the other one but its still good. I love this game. The story is great and the gameplay is just right. One of psp best action driving games. One of my favorite psp games. Different from the other gta games but it still have the same story line and gameplay with a lot of extra. Love the characters in the game. This game didn't take me a long time to figure out. Expand
  23. Jun 3, 2013
    Although Liberty City Stories runs it pretty close, for me at least, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is quite simply the best game ever made for Sony's Playstation Portable. While it obviously lacks the wonderfully tactile touchscreen elements that helped make the Nintendo DS original feel so very special in the first place, from just about every other perspective (most notable of whichAlthough Liberty City Stories runs it pretty close, for me at least, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is quite simply the best game ever made for Sony's Playstation Portable. While it obviously lacks the wonderfully tactile touchscreen elements that helped make the Nintendo DS original feel so very special in the first place, from just about every other perspective (most notable of which are the vastly superior graphical clout and additional content/missions), this PSP edition blows it's dual-screened sibling clean out of the water.

Meanwhile, for any and all Playstation Vita owners out there who enjoyed Chinatown Wars on PSP and haven't played it to the point of fatigue already, I wholeheartedly recommend picking it up again via a convenient (and very reasonably priced) PSN download. On Vita's larger 5in display, the game looks far, far better than it ever did on PSP, and a million miles from it's DS debut. And what with Vita's much improved analogue sticks, Chinatown Wars not only controls and handles better than ever, it feels absolutely fresh and utterly sensational all over again.

9.5 out of 10
  24. May 7, 2013
    Absolutely the best portable GTA i have ever played. I myself have LCS and VCS, but this one is off the charts. The one thing that i definetely enjoyed was the humor; it was dirty, in the best way that you can put it. Addicting mini-games, great story. The only downside was the detail of the characters; it should be a little better. 9/10.
  25. Sep 29, 2013
    "Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars" es uno de los mejores juegos para la PSP, por la razón de que lograron hacer lo que hicieron en las otras diferentes consolas de Sony, en la PSP y no me confundan, tiene muy buena jugabilidad y buenos gráficos para ser la PSP. Buen juego y da mucho para reflexionar de lo buena que es esta saga.

As a PSP game, it's still a well-done portable GTA; not necessarily a better one than before. But that's fine; it's still worth playing Chinatown Wars for those bite-size bits of the GTA formula, and if you're still warm to it, then definitely give it a go.
    An absolute blast from start to finish with plenty of trademark Liberty City locales ripe for exploration, not to mention a cast of incredibly memory characters (Chan Jaoming, I hardly knew ya.) If you're looking for a good action adventure experience that harkens back to the more cartoony Grand Theft Auto days, then Chinatown Wars is certainly worth the investment.
  3. Chinatown Wars on PSP was always going to be a port job, and though it soils some of DS original's intuitive mini-games it maintains the inventive, thoroughly entertaining and built-for-handheld mission structure of the original - and that's what we loved most in the first place.