Jeanne d'Arc PSP

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Aug 21, 2007
8.2

1. Nov 23, 2011
    Not impressed. The graphics are great for PSP, and I love me some turn-based RPGs. However, what's with the super-archaic turn structure? Super slow heavily-armored knights get to move just as many times as my super fast thief guy (with the exception of Jeanne's special ability, which will have her skipping all over the entire level, killing 4-5 guys in a single turn)? Spells and skillsNot impressed. The graphics are great for PSP, and I love me some turn-based RPGs. However, what's with the super-archaic turn structure? Super slow heavily-armored knights get to move just as many times as my super fast thief guy (with the exception of Jeanne's special ability, which will have her skipping all over the entire level, killing 4-5 guys in a single turn)? Spells and skills don't have to charge at all? Every single one of my units gets to move before every single one of their units does? Forgive me for making the comparison, but this is nowhere near the strategy level of Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. It feels like a beginner's introduction into turn-based games (which never needed an introduction). The whole point of mixing which team moves when (one of mine goes, one of theirs goes, 2 of mine go, etc etc) is to give it a vaguely real-time feel. This game feels like the enemy stands there waiting for all my people to move and attack, until finally asking "is it my turn now?"

Production values are very high (liberties with the story aside), and you can tell it was well-thought out and executed, but given the cons I listed above and the stupidly arbitrary mission-success requirements (ie you have to "escape" your enemies by making it to one edge of the map, but you can still fail even if you kill them all), I will probably never end up playing it again.
  2. ChadC.
    Oct 5, 2007
    While its no where near as good as final fantasy tactics its still a must own game if only to tide you over till tactics comes out.
  3. SeanKim
    Jan 4, 2009
    Entertaining game... the animated cutscenes are top-notch, it's a shame that there are any game-engine rendered cutscenes. I also liked the voice acting, although I was slightly irked that there was no option to change to japanese instead of english. (But I digress...) Personally, this game was WAY too easy. With no difficulty slider and no monsters past level 60, I got Jeanne up toEntertaining game... the animated cutscenes are top-notch, it's a shame that there are any game-engine rendered cutscenes. I also liked the voice acting, although I was slightly irked that there was no option to change to japanese instead of english. (But I digress...) Personally, this game was WAY too easy. With no difficulty slider and no monsters past level 60, I got Jeanne up to level 90 and was able to solo damn near the entire game. Normally, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, but in a game designed with team-play and small unit tactics in mind, the ability to solo and be successful flies in the face of the intent of the game maker. The EXP system awarded points for damn near everything you did, and thus by singling out injured enemies with one character, you ended up with a character, in the end, that was 30+ levels ahead of Henry VI, which made the boss fight a joke. Although the game is a very well-crafted in terms of presentation and battle mechanics, the improper game balancing killed the experience, thus rating the average 7 rating. Expand

#4 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2007
#9 Most Shared PSP Game of 2007

1. Play Magazine
    This looks more like a triple-A PS2 game than a PSP game, and it weighs in at 40-plus hours. [Aug 2007, p.70]
  2. By all means for you SRPG fans out there pick this game up! I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed! I myself have still yet to clear this game and it seems that there will be more than enough volume left to satisfy the casual to the hardcore gamers. This is one game that is worth its weight in gold. [JPN Import]
  3. Hardcore Gamer
    There's just the right mix of story and gameplay, with a couple of cool twists thrown into both for good measure. [Sept 2007, p.69]