• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Aug 21, 2007
8.2

1. Jul 19, 2011
    The most awesome game on PSP, period.
    Don't believe those who say it's not as good as Final Fantasy Tactics, as it is in fact much better! But don't take my word for it...
    The most awesome game on PSP, period.

Quick question: What do God Of War, MGS, GTA, Final Fantasy, and all the other games that are rated higher than this one have in common? Answer: All of them are part of a franchise that was already massively successful, before a new episode was ported to the PSP.

As one of the few people who tried the PSP versions of the new franchise episodes with fresh eyes, from not having played almost any of the previous instances from these series on any other platform, I can't help but find that scores are massively biased. God Of War, GTA, FFVII, Persona 3? Meh. MGS? Will never come close as its first instalment on PS1. The only title from an existing franchise actually worth its place around the top on PSP is Ridge Racer. If critics were actually objective, all the others would be much lower rated.

But let's also compare with non franchise games: Lumines better than Jeanne D'Arc? Not a chance. The Lumines guys haven't spent 10% of the development time that went into Jeanne D'Arc, and, as addictive as the game may be to some, it shows.
    Siphon Filter: very good game, which deserves a lot of credit for managing to be highly playable despite Sony's idiotic lack of insight with regards to the second analog stick. But still a bit too predictable and not as polished.
    And then you get all the stuff like Patapon, LocoRoco, LittleBigPlanet, etc., that tries so hard that it actually gets into the way of the gameplay.

Sorry, but this game is miles above the rest, graphically, story-wise and in terms of playability and, what matters most, enjoyment for players. Truly of a class of its own!
  2. CharlesS.
    Apr 7, 2008
    After being totally let down by the titles for the PSP, imagine my surprise at finding this gem! While lacking the same gameplay mechanics and depth of Final Fantasy Tactics, this game manages to bring out some of the best features. Animes cutscenes, in-depth skill customization and creation, and dare I say it even tries to stay historically accurate (outside of the demons and what not). After being totally let down by the titles for the PSP, imagine my surprise at finding this gem! While lacking the same gameplay mechanics and depth of Final Fantasy Tactics, this game manages to bring out some of the best features. Animes cutscenes, in-depth skill customization and creation, and dare I say it even tries to stay historically accurate (outside of the demons and what not). This game is a must have for any fan of the genre! Expand
  3. ChrisN.
    Aug 26, 2007
    WOW! I'm not usually and RPG fan but picked this game up based on trailers and previews - what a great decision that was! I haven't been able to put it down. Stunning graphics, zero load times, deep strategy, engaging plot. Best game for my PSP so far.
  4. MichaelJ.
    Aug 30, 2007
    Great game. If you like Tactical Role-Playing Games you will really enjoy this game. A must buy for any PSP owner.
  5. KristianA.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Truly an amazing work of art. Amazin story-line and charecters. You should buy a PSP just for this!
  6. Enzo
    Aug 23, 2007
    Wow....if you loved Final Fantasy Tactics then you'll love this game. The gameplay is addicting and the story is one that keeps you going for hours. This game is worth every penny.
  7. Ezekial
    Sep 5, 2007
    SRPG Gold, I havent enjoyed a stratagy RPG this much since Final Fantasy Tactics.
  8. MichaelF.
    Apr 29, 2008
    This is a fantastic title for any system and is a brilliant combination of style, story, and gameplay. Anyone remotely interested in strategy or role playing games owes it to themselves to try this game.
  9. PhilJ.
    Aug 3, 2008
    The cut scenes are absolutely amazing (especially the intro)! I really enjoy this game, even though it's not as fun as Final Fantasy. What makes it great is you can customize your characters in a very flexible manner. I am really addicted to this! Worth the price.
  10. ChrisJ.
    Oct 11, 2007
    An amazing piece of work. Seriously i was going to give up my PSP. Give up. But then i played this. A refreshing tactics game. Anime cut scenes depict certain key scenes and add a nice life like vibe. I dont care for anime to much but i felt that it belonged with this game and actually made it better. Gameplay: ------------- Much like final fantasy tactics or Tactics Ogre. A turnbased An amazing piece of work. Seriously i was going to give up my PSP. Give up. But then i played this. A refreshing tactics game. Anime cut scenes depict certain key scenes and add a nice life like vibe. I dont care for anime to much but i felt that it belonged with this game and actually made it better. Gameplay: ------------- Much like final fantasy tactics or Tactics Ogre. A turnbased combat game. A defense system that works when your allies are close is an interesting twist, making you move in packs that takes time. After time the speed is a little slow. After a town is done on the world map it can be replayed as a basic battle to build stats. Skills are are great and interesting. Some can only be found by binding, o combining the two together. Pros: Great turnbased with interesting game mechanics Cons: Not enough weapons, i felt limited. Slow combat sometimes but thats very minor. Sound: --------- Not bad voices are there and growls. FIre sounds like fire etc. During the Anime cut scenes. Music gets repatitive. Pros: Actual voices! Footsteps, well rounded Cons: Music gets old not too long in to the game Controls: ------------ Flawless, perfect Just amazing very fluid. I love it! Pros: Fast controls easy to use Cons: None A must have for any strategist. Maybe to slow for people who cant appreciate good games when they play it. If you dont like this game go play madden. Because your worthless. Expand
  11. KrsitianN.
    Dec 18, 2007
    Clearly one of the best games ever. It has amazing graphics, story, characters etc. For all you hardcore Tactical RPG payers out there this is definetly for you.
  12. MinatoNamikaze
    Oct 24, 2007
    This game was great if you like tactical RPG's but what realy dissapointed me is that Jeannne herself dies in the game and the other chic who was travelling with her became your manditory choice and she was so weak on my level...!!!!! but all in all it was a good game
  13. RavenX301
    Aug 29, 2007
    I turly enjoy this game. I love SRPG's ever sense I played Dieagea. However, I miss being able to pick my own team instead of having to use computer made and placed charaters. Also you can not change a charaters weopen class which is kinda of werid. But all in all it is a PSP game and without a doubt the greatest of the bunch. Absolutly 10! (or 11).
  14. Jul 8, 2011
    Truly a sleeper hit I could easily have missed, if you enjoy tactical fantasy games this is a must play. The theme might seem off-putting but it is actually well handled from a fantasy perspective. From a historical perspective there are someserious liberties taken, but there is just enough true history to make this fairytale a great story and a lot of fun. Graphics and sound are quiteTruly a sleeper hit I could easily have missed, if you enjoy tactical fantasy games this is a must play. The theme might seem off-putting but it is actually well handled from a fantasy perspective. From a historical perspective there are someserious liberties taken, but there is just enough true history to make this fairytale a great story and a lot of fun. Graphics and sound are quite impressive to boot. Expand
  15. Mar 30, 2013
    This is a great tactical RPG game. The main advantage is deep turn-based combat, where you need to use any of your troops and skills wisely, the battles have many nuances. The story is decent though of course it has little in common with real history. The characters are memorable, the dialogues are lame sometimes. The anime cutscenes are nice. Also the game has pretty graphics andThis is a great tactical RPG game. The main advantage is deep turn-based combat, where you need to use any of your troops and skills wisely, the battles have many nuances. The story is decent though of course it has little in common with real history. The characters are memorable, the dialogues are lame sometimes. The anime cutscenes are nice. Also the game has pretty graphics and addictive gameplay. Expand

1. This looks more like a triple-A PS2 game than a PSP game, and it weighs in at 40-plus hours. [Aug 2007, p.70]
  2. By all means for you SRPG fans out there pick this game up! I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed! I myself have still yet to clear this game and it seems that there will be more than enough volume left to satisfy the casual to the hardcore gamers. This is one game that is worth its weight in gold. [JPN Import]
  3. There's just the right mix of story and gameplay, with a couple of cool twists thrown into both for good measure. [Sept 2007, p.69]