Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep PSP

8.5

1. dz9
    Jul 23, 2011
    The Good: The game has improved its gameplay, has great graphics for a psp game, decent enough voice acting, and a passable story. The bad: The only bad thing I would be able to think of is the fact that the board game side quest is awful. No one really truly enjoyed the gummy ship sequences---they're gone...GOOD BYE!! However, the gummy ship sequences were good enough to endure, andThe Good: The game has improved its gameplay, has great graphics for a psp game, decent enough voice acting, and a passable story. The bad: The only bad thing I would be able to think of is the fact that the board game side quest is awful. No one really truly enjoyed the gummy ship sequences---they're gone...GOOD BYE!! However, the gummy ship sequences were good enough to endure, and the game never punished you for not going out of your way to complete them 100%. However, on "Birth by Sleep," The board game side quests are WORSE than the gummy ship but it would still be passable enough if the game never really forced you to play it. However, most of the important items in the game are only obtainable through this horrid side quests. You still don't have to truly play it, but if you're a gamer who must obtain everything in the game to get 100% completion, this will be more than an annoyance for you. The story, however not as compelling as the main series, it is still interesting enough to keep you playing. The game does its job in giving fans their fix of KH, while hyping everyone up for KH3... This game is a definite recommendation for RPG fans and KH fans that have a PSP.. Expand
  2. Feb 15, 2012
    This game is good the storyline is great but not as good as kingdom hearts 2. The battle system is not even close to as good as the one in kingdom hearts 2 although its the most diverse battle system, its poorly executed. and the game storyline while fun you dont really feel like going through the game more then once unless you are a super hardcore fan
  3. Dec 5, 2010
    Load times are pretty bad. Once an area (like in the other KH games) is loaded, the whole thing is available, though. The start menu at any given time takes about three seconds to pop up. It pauses the action, but the actual menu doesn't come up for a while. I say three seconds, and it doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a start menu.... There are two cool options that should be on everyLoad times are pretty bad. Once an area (like in the other KH games) is loaded, the whole thing is available, though. The start menu at any given time takes about three seconds to pop up. It pauses the action, but the actual menu doesn't come up for a while. I say three seconds, and it doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a start menu.... There are two cool options that should be on every game: colour bit-depth, and clock speed. You can change from 16 to 32 bit, and change the clock speed from 222 to 333mhz. The speed change is a little noticeable, and didn't drain the battery power too much. (I'm on my third hour and it's probably around 15%.) So far I can see no difference between the colour modes, but it's a psychological thing as well. You could probably get maybe 4 to 5 hours with the lower speed and colour settings.
    The battle system is awesome. I loved the one from the console games, and it's basically the exact same thing, with some minor changes with abilities and stuff. My only complaint is with magic and that the camera never really zooms out far enough to view a lot of enemies. It's always pretty close. Buttons were used awesomely and very economically. R-shoulder locks on, L-shoulder moves it behind the player, and L with the analogue stick moves it freely. Analogue stick moves, square is block and dodge roll, triangle uses abilities, and X attacks. The direction buttons do stuff like switching abilities and D-link.
    There's no MP. Instead you can select different things like Fire, or Strike Raid, and put them on a 'command deck'. It starts with 3, and grows as you progress up to 8. Then after you use it, there's a recharge time. Magic power is a stat, but there are the Fire, Firaga progressions as well. Triangle uses these abilities. You can also get passive abilities from these by fusing with rare-ish items.
    Remember mixing materia in Final Fantasy, and how some products had bonuses like HP +100% ? It's kind of similar. You can fuse abilities (which are treated as items) with one synthesis item to get things like Blizara with a Air Combo +. Once you max out the level of the ability (Blizara), you can remove it, and still have Air Combo +. Abilities have to be at a certain level to fuse. Personally I like this aspect.
    I don't know if it's borrowed, but even if it wasn't new, I like how it works.
    Sadly, there aren't any forms (or were they called drives?). Yes, they were cheap, but who didn't love floating around Master Form blowing the hell out of everything? There are two similar things, though, both of which aren't as powerful: D-links and Command Styles.
    D-links are formed with other characters. I think they replace summons, except they're more useful. Your command deck is changed with another character's, and you can use their abilities. It also completely heals you for some reason. Kind of cheap, but I'm doing proud mode, so I like it.
    Command Styles are more similar to drives. You can switch them out like abilities. After you button-mash enough enemies, and use a certain combination of attacks (like fire attacks), you automatically change command styles. They do different things; some give you elemental-physical attacks, one lets you fly around the battle.
    There are also two completely irrelevant things that shouldn't have been included at all because they are stupid, but turn out to be kind of fun regardless. One is a board game kind of like Monopoly. It's completely optional, but can give you new abilities and level up other ones. Another is this thing during battle where you press L+R and then target stuff, and then you shoot everything you targeted, or the same enemy multiple times. It charges up, so you can't spam it. The type of attack it is changes, like for command styles. You can buy, fuse, or find them, as with abilities and command style.
    Graphics aren't amazing, but they're all pretty-smooth 3D. Better than mediocre, and there are a lot of models. Cut-scenes look like in-game models, but have character voices. There are a lot of these as well. And just like KH, there are a lot of enemy models. Considering it's all 3D, and there's no slowdown, I was pretty impressed with how many enemies you could fight at the same time. Bosses look pretty cool. Landscapes are a little bare as far as models go (rocks, tables, whatever), but they're still original and colourful. Cut-off for graphics was great. You can see basically the entire area at one time; nothing magically appeared at a certain point. Oh, and each keyblade has its own model. I might have quit playing if it wasn't that way, so I'm glad someone thought to include it.
    Sound is also like KH. It's where the PSP just pwns the DS. Kingdom Hearts didn't have anything like a ground-breaking soundtrack, but anything Final Fantasy related is nice. The story sucks. But what else do you expect? It's fun enough to keep me entertained for at least 100 hours, probably more like 200 at the end.

#3 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2010
#7 Most Shared PSP Game of 2010

1. Jan 13, 2011
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep isn't just a spin-off; it's an evolution of the series that makes helpful tweaks to combat and introduces interesting new worlds.
  2. Games Master UK
    Jan 13, 2011
    "Quotation Forthcoming"
  3. Jan 13, 2011
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is a fun game that was almost brought down by questionable control issues and a repetitive story. If players can get past a few minor problems, they'll discover that this prequel offers a surprising amount of great content, beautiful graphics and even some fun multiplayer modes!