• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Dec 5, 2006
8.3

1. Jul 24, 2011
    This instalment was very fun especially for players who closely follow the story as players once again take control of Big Boss as he is once again thrown onto the battlefield from retirement against a new enemy and through the story realises that the battlefield is where he belongs and must find his own calling if he is to find something which he can believe in and fight for. The gameThis instalment was very fun especially for players who closely follow the story as players once again take control of Big Boss as he is once again thrown onto the battlefield from retirement against a new enemy and through the story realises that the battlefield is where he belongs and must find his own calling if he is to find something which he can believe in and fight for. The game play is good as well for the system they provide as much of the fun as possible from other metal gear instalment. Expand
  2. Nov 4, 2010
    A worthy addition to the MGS series. Interesting (and comprehensible) story, good stealth, decent controls. Dragging guys around to recruit gets a little tiresome, but the team-building aspect is fairly cool and fits well with the story & MGS canon. There are some control issues and the camera is far from perfect, but neither are debilitating and the gameplay and story are worth it.A worthy addition to the MGS series. Interesting (and comprehensible) story, good stealth, decent controls. Dragging guys around to recruit gets a little tiresome, but the team-building aspect is fairly cool and fits well with the story & MGS canon. There are some control issues and the camera is far from perfect, but neither are debilitating and the gameplay and story are worth it. The stylized cut scenes may not please everyone, but I got to like them. Missions are a good length for a portable game too. Expand
  3. Sep 17, 2011
    Stealth action and CQC adapt well to a portable console, with gameplay mechanics feeling similar but fresher thanks to the inclusion of teams. These teams add a new depth to planning and strategy, with the enticing ability to recruit more and more followers. The story is absorbing and fittingly complex and the graphic novel cutscenes look great . Voice acting is of a high quality as is theStealth action and CQC adapt well to a portable console, with gameplay mechanics feeling similar but fresher thanks to the inclusion of teams. These teams add a new depth to planning and strategy, with the enticing ability to recruit more and more followers. The story is absorbing and fittingly complex and the graphic novel cutscenes look great . Voice acting is of a high quality as is the soundtrack. Expand
  4. Feb 15, 2014
    As a fan of metal gear series, this is the only metal gear game I haven't enjoyed. And there is only one reason for that: Worst controls in gaming history.
    I've spent few hours with this game and the issue just doesn't go away. Story line can be good and other mechanics can also be very enjoyable but controls being what they are, it's not even worth to play.
  5. Jul 10, 2011
    Very good, it cleared the fog that the MGS series has ( Mostly MGS3, it really explained and made everything soft too understand the series) it also make proud the PSP, there arent too many great games on the handheld, the cutscene are creative ( comic style). This is an important tittle for the PSP.
  6. Feb 16, 2013
    Although Kojima did not direct this game, it still feels as though he did. If you played any MGS game, then you know what to expect. But this time, you can kidnap enemy soldiers and convince them to join you. It's really cool. Gameplay is the same. Enemy soldiers see you? Alert Mode. Then Evasion mode. Then Caution Mode. And then Normal. Just like any MGS game. And, of course, that's aAlthough Kojima did not direct this game, it still feels as though he did. If you played any MGS game, then you know what to expect. But this time, you can kidnap enemy soldiers and convince them to join you. It's really cool. Gameplay is the same. Enemy soldiers see you? Alert Mode. Then Evasion mode. Then Caution Mode. And then Normal. Just like any MGS game. And, of course, that's a good thing. Believe or not, the story IS canon, that is, it IS part of the timeline. The story is set in 1970, six years after MGS3. The Special Force Unit FOX has rebelled against the USA, and is supposedly sided with the Soviets. Snake has been framed as the mastermind. It's his job to find out who's behind all this and clear his name. And it has its share of twists and heart-wrenching moments like its big-brother consoles. Unfortunately, they have shut down the online-component, but that was just the icing on the cake. As it is, the game can stand on its own. It's $9.99 on the PSN Store now, so if you have a PSP (or better yet, a PS Vita), buy it now. Expand
  7. Oct 10, 2011
    The only thing better than the poopy-brown graphics is the horrible, Monster Hunter-esque controls, coupled with tons of dialogue with no voice acting and some kind of autistic army management system. This game has hours and hours worth of exciting gameplay, slowly trudging around the blocky levels, not being able to crouch-walk but still having a third person camera implying that youThe only thing better than the poopy-brown graphics is the horrible, Monster Hunter-esque controls, coupled with tons of dialogue with no voice acting and some kind of autistic army management system. This game has hours and hours worth of exciting gameplay, slowly trudging around the blocky levels, not being able to crouch-walk but still having a third person camera implying that you could. My favorite thing to do is to play as characters who aren't even Snake, such as guys who are in disguise, invalidating stealth.
    The team-based action really gets me going, too. What happens is, you get a bunch of guys and hide them in boxes all over the level, right? As if that wasn't awesome enough, you can switch between them by hiding whoever you're playing as in a box. That's not even the most exciting part! If you're ever in danger, your box-hiding comrades absolutely will not help you because box-hiding is just a way to make a team-based game with no teamwork and the developers were too lazy to program friendly AI. So cool!!!
  8. Aug 20, 2011
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
    Its a solid game, good story, good gameplay, good control, and good graphics and voice acting for a psp game, its generally better than most metal gears, though I sometimes find its story over soppy or far too much, this was good.
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

Its multi-player is pretty well rounded if you get past the hackers, and I cant help but be addicted to getting the best soldiers possible. 8/10 My Opinion /Unbais 7.5
  9. Dec 27, 2013
    Portable Ops manages to meld the flavor of Snake Eater and some new features to make an impressive Metal Gear game. Strong story with amazing ost, cast of characters and more..
  10. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is great! I do find the stamina meter extremely annoying, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying this.
    The storyline is wonderful.
    Voice acting is SPLENDID! (David Hayter AND Steven Blum).
    The gameplay and graphics are sweet!
    I'd say get this if you can find it in a retail store or on PSN.
  11. Jul 7, 2014
    I think that this is game is pretty great, the story and even the whole thing is great... though, the controls could be a little better or so. It's true that most of the new MGS games have kinda difficult-to-learn controls, but when you get used to it, you'll pretty much fully enjoy the game. It personally took me few minutes to learn the basics, such as CQC tricks and other things, I alsoI think that this is game is pretty great, the story and even the whole thing is great... though, the controls could be a little better or so. It's true that most of the new MGS games have kinda difficult-to-learn controls, but when you get used to it, you'll pretty much fully enjoy the game. It personally took me few minutes to learn the basics, such as CQC tricks and other things, I also like the cut-scenes... I like Manga after all... although, they could change few things... it's kinda hard to knock every soldier down and try to bring back soldiers to the truck so that you can recruit them, because don't forget that you have Stamina... and if you're using a soldier, but with low stamina; it will pretty much decrease 'till you pass out. The box/radio thing is neat, but still... some people find this kinda pissing... I do myself, not from those patience type and that's it. Also, even if you're mass-fan of the MGS series, you'll understand that they could of had made it better... that's my opinion. Expand

The GPS and WiFi scanning feature is excellently implemented, the online and single player modes are deep, and there are plenty of things to do by tracking down and recruiting new soldiers from various places.
  2. As a single-player game, Portable Ops can't match the scope and drama of its predecessors. Of course, with its bite-sized style and team aspect, it doesn't really try to. This is one of the PSP's best multiplayer titles, giving you essentially a two-for-one experience.
    A game that essentially pushes the PSP in all of its features: graphics, portability, Internet, extra hardware doohickeys, and multiplayer. Sure, it might have hiccups (occasional ghosting, quirky A.I., the one analog nub), but Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is not only a fine MGS title -- it's also a damn good showcase for the PSP.