• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Jul 6, 2010
9.0

1. Oct 17, 2010
    My favourite PSP game yet, coming on the tail of Metal Gear and Kingdom Hearts (both of which I loved) that is a big call. I cannot recommend this game enough to RPG fans there has been proper care taken to make this PSP version as addictive and fun as the PS2 releases without making it feel watered down, and in my opinion it is the best version of all three.
  2. Aug 23, 2010
    If you like Dating Sims + a little RPG + high school students life...yeah go for it.Personally this game is just too slow pace for me...Plus the Voice Actiong is not that good,it's just decent :/
  3. Sep 2, 2010
    THE PROS: great story line,solid game controls,graphics are great for a port both handheld and the composite cable on my 46" HD T.V look good,the game gives you a choice which affects the outcome of the story line, Long game play I have found some replayability in this game that can't be found in any other RPG,and the best con is if you decide to challenge levals that don't really provide a challenge in order to rank up "death will be your challenge".
    THE CONS:you have to fight the same monsters over and over again (I do have to say this atleast the monsters do leval up which can surprise you and that I like)
    CONCLUSION: I love this game and it is the first one that I can"t seem to put down! (I have 56 games for my PSP GO) and this one has kept me playing at an addictive leval more than all the rest combined
  4. Aug 30, 2010
    A great port of a classic RPG, Persona 3 Portable boils Persona 3 down to its essence: a romance/adventure sim coupled with the familiar gameplay of the Shin Megami Tensei series. By changing the story sequences from a free-roaming 3D environment to the traditional visual-novel format, Atlus has allowed PSP players to experience Persona 3 in full, while adding several new scenes, the option to play as a female, and reducing tedium to a minimum. Great for fans of the original game, or for those new to the series. Expand
  5. Nov 9, 2010
    Persona 3 Portable is basically a stripped down Persona 3 FES with added portability and a female main character. It's also the sole reason why my PSP isn't gathering dust.
    The battle system underwent a complete overhaul, now being more reminiscent of Persona 4 than its predecessor. This means that you can fully control your party, which is a very welcome addition. Mitsuru is actually
    useful now!
    The game is just as long as it was on PS2, clocking at around 70 to 80 hours on average. The additional Social Links and story events featured in the female path made the game feel just as fresh and new as when I played it for the first time on PS2, and this downscaled offering definitely survives multiple playthroughs.
    I recommend this to anyone who enjoys JRPGs, regardless of whether or not they've already played a previous version of Persona 3, which I have. This is essential! You mustn't miss this! You mustn't!
  6. Feb 10, 2011
    Very fun game. I love this game its so fun. The gameplay is just right. I never played any Shin Megami Tensei games until this one. This is one of psp best games of ever. The graphics is just right for a console game, Playing this game make it feel like you living in an anime series. I think everybody who has a psp should most definitely this game it is worth getting. At first this game looking so bored to me. Then I started playing it . Very awesome story to the game. I recommend this game. A excellent role playing action game. Expand
  7. Jan 27, 2011
    This was one of my favourite game on PS2. The PSP version is even better. The new campaign is great as are some of the new features. Definitely worth getting if you enjoyed the PS2 version.
  8. Nov 8, 2012
    I was both excited and scared when this game got announced: I'm a HUGE fan of the persona series, with persona 3 being my most favorite rpg, and of course the hype got me and I was literally counting the days for its release. The things I heard the most were the obvious female protagonist and some other innovations, which I don't remember, but I was anyway gonna buy even if it was the same exact game for the ps2. But I can clearly say, this is one of the best rpgs on the psp, if not THE best: the game not only is an improved version of the ps2 version, it also adds a "new" storyline with the female counterpart, meaning that the 2 stories, even if the same, are also different at the same time. The game is also very long (I finished in about 60-70 hours, 80+ with the secondary tasks and the additional fusions) which really strikes out considering that most of the rpgs on portable consoles aren't very long (unless you do the additonal stuff...of course). The combat is also very improved, basically taking the best parts from persona 4 (the possibility to control your members, for instance) and still remains one of the strong points of the game, together with the story. My only BIG complains are mostly 2: 1) the game has a very simplified interface outside the dungeon, meaning that you will NEVER control your character outside the dungeon, but only a cursor. I know that they did this in order to make more space for the game and luckily you will still see your characters during the dungeon exploration, and I'm ok with that, but it's going to take a while to get used to it. Luckily the navigation works perfectly: you can move easily anywhere by pressing the Square button (taken from persona 4) and the cursor is quite precise and works good. Overall, it's fine, just too bad that you'll basically never see your character(s) outside the dungeon, especially when there are a lot of costumes to unlock, Also, because of this, most of the cutscenes got cut as well. 2) NO FES! If this game had also Fes (the second part of the game, called "The Answer",that roughly lasts about 30 hours), this would be perfect, but unfortunely we only have few things from Fes (the possibility to choose different Stewards, some extra scenes, new persona, etc). Again, probably the lack of space made them cut the additional scenario, or else it would be perfect in all ways. And really, that's about it: the game is the same as the original, with a different interface, but with 2 very well detailed campaigns that aren't necessarily the same: they basically tell the same story with 2 different perspectives and, actually, it really encourages you play twice, doubling the hours and the ways to play the actual game. I personally recommend to try it out if you want a good rpg for your psp (it's a dungeon crawler RPG, the ideal for portable consoles) and even if there are some flaws (it can be slow if you don't install the game into your memory card) it still remains one of the best rpgs on the psp. Must try at all costs. Expand
  9. Apr 30, 2013
    Persona 3 Portable is a remake of the PS2 version of Persona 3. The story is about a group of students who enter a tower at their school which appears past midnight during an hour called the "Dark Hour". During the Dark Hour, shadows appear and wreak havoc. The team must destroy the strongest shadows and stop the Dark Hour for good.

The remake of the game features a Female gender which
    changes social links from people at school to the SEES members. She's also given a few romance options and her starting persona is coloured differently than the boy's.

I really enjoyed P3P's story it was dark, serious, and much bigger than imagined. It really felt like a massive adventure by the end of the game, like I had spent my time well and not wasted it on a different JRPG.

The characters of P3P are normal high school students. They are united by a common goal and also by their own struggles and challenges. SEES members live in a dorm together dedicated to investigating the Dark Hour, however, all of them have struggles with their parents. One has an alcoholic father, another's expects her to be a doctor like their other relatives. The pain of their memories unites them as a team.

A bit of an upside is that their Personas evolve relating to the story, rather than making their social link max level.

I also enjoyed the music of P3P. As it's a portable game, and a remake, the music selection is really just a rehash of the Persona 3 music. The soundtrack itself only comes with about 10 songs on it and even then, some of those are from the previous game. The songs in this also relate back to the story of the protagonist. The same goes with the opening animation.

Combat... I really loved the combat. So much. I never played Persona 3, but in P3P, you are given the ability to take control of your team mates and use their skills instead of setting a fighting mode and hoping for the best. Team mates can also be separated and sent to explore other parts of the dungeon. Fighting alone or with one other character increases the amount of XP you'll get per battle. Team mates can even level up without you battling with them.

So all-in-all, P3P is a good remake of the PS2 version of Persona 3 and gives veterans of the series a change to experience a different side of the story.
  10. Jun 9, 2012
    The PSP port of Persona 3 is both better and worse than the original. On one hand, it has more content and it streamlines some of the more awkward aspects of Persona 3, like equipment. However, the cutscenes and the map have been made slightly less active, so to speak. Cutscenes dont really exist in this game. There are moments where you have conversations but now you dont really see the conversation. You see a head pop up and hear the dialouge. Its a minute detail that does not take away from the game, though. Despite that minor flaw, Persona 3 Portable is still an amazing game. Expand
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    I've rarely been at a loss for words when it comes to opinions on video games, but now I find myself in the first time I don't know how or where to begin. So I will just start at the beggining. A lot of people I've known or followed talked about the Persona series and I got this game recommended to me at least 10 times before I actually tried it, and the sad thing is that I tried it because I was bored and I had nothing to do - my Vita was busy being dusty in the corner, I had no time to play big PS3 games (Persona 3 turned out to be bigger than the usual PS3 game, but I didn't know that) so I just decided to try whatever I hadn't tried on my beloved PSP. I just started with 3, because I didn't have any of the other ones, and frankly - it had the best review scores, so that was enough for me. I went in with a negative mindset - I'm not a big fan of JRPGs, neither am I a fan of long games or grinding. To me - a five hour polished story mode is all that is required. This game had three crucial parts to it that made me understand that it is a masterpiece. And I most certainly had no idea that this game will become my favorite game of all time. First crucial part: The intro - shocking and unexpected.
    P3 made a wonderful transition to the PSP. Some complain that most cutscenes are just voiceovers and portraits, but I liked that. I'm usually not a fan of weird japanese designs, but this game made me love its direction, because of two main reasons: it was faithful to it's own source material, meaning the abundance of other Shin Megami Tensei games, and because it was all done in real style with lots of polish that very few games ever achieve.
    Second up is the soundtrack. I have to be honest, at first I hated it. 10 hours in - I was singing along with it, and I had it on my MP3 player, and I still listen to it. It's an amazing soundtrack and a great example of what soundtracks can be - a very well done variant of sorts, because it does tell you how to feel, but it also escapes steriotypes, like the battle music having to be thrilling or scary. Also, the game is almost fully voice-overed in english - props!
    The gameplay is the best JRPG gameplay I've seen. I felt I had control in all the right places. The game knew exactly where the weak points of the JRPG genre are, and it made sure to tell me "Listen dude, this is stupid, so here is what you can do to make it fun and fluid". This is the first JRPG in which I've had actual fun with, but you have to play it to understand why.
    Lastly, and most importantly for me - the story. I have to admit here - I'm a sucker for high-school anime drama. But even at that, the story of Persona 3 really delves with some actual issues. I went in this expecting a silly and overexposed story, but it was surprisingly quite mature, as stated by the intro sequence, going to places that even mature games don't go. This game even may teach the player some things, if they are willing to learn, there is even a slight hint of symbolism in it, which I loved. Ofcourse, to some folks it's common knowledge - to me it was, but it didn't ruin the experience for me what so ever. I've never felt so attached to video game characters in my life - to movie characters - yeah, to book characters - absolutely, but to a video game? Never. But towards the ending of this game I felt that I was my protagonist - the people in the game were my friends and the game made sure that I care for them, and I really did. Second important reason prooving game is a masterpiece - it gives you multiple reasons on multiple levels to care about it's characters. From the little things like their AI not sucking during battle, to the big ones, like them actually having personality and developement throughout the story. Truth be told, I actually miss the characters now, and the memories of the Persona 3 story are also memories of my own, though that may sound farfetched. The story of the game itself isn't anything special when you think about it. In this case it's not so much about literal content - it's about pacing and the way the story is told - by making you feel you are an actual part of it and your actions cause actual consequences to the world, that the game tries it's best to make you a part of and for the most part - succeeds. I'm not saying it will work with everyone, I'm saying that it's very masterfully done. The last crucial proof point of this game is the ending. It's one of the most well-executed endings in gaming history and I loved it. And frankly - I didn't want it to end. I wasn't ready.
    In conclusion, I think the PSP edition is the deffinitve edition. This game is made for portable handhelds. But forget about that - I've never played a game as polished and well-constructed as this. No game has ever managed to keep me entartained for more than 10 hours - I'm not a patient man. And I've, personally, found enough reasons in this game to call it my favorite game. It comes highly recommended from me to everyone.
  12. Apr 26, 2014
    As I've never played the other versions of this game before, I won't talk about the merit of P3P over FES or the vanilla version. That being said, the characters are hard to like, the story and the dungeon are repetitive, and the music/presentation is atrocious! Thankfully this version of the game cuts out most travel time with it's point-and-click map system, but the colors are drab and the music when taking the male path is just flat out BAD. The only saving graces are the fairly entertaining battle system and the social links you can make with non-party members. But even the S.Links can't be too good! You HAVE to have a romantic relationship with S.Links of the opposite genders. At least they don't get jealous and break the links in this version of the game.

And even the battle system begs to have a menu where you can see who gets turns when. You can press a button to see who goes next, but that doesn't help much in the grand scheme of things, and the boss battles are boring as all hell since they are SO repetitive and become too easy after the first few in-game months. Not to mention you get a game over whenever the main character dies and the other characters can hardly hold a flame to his/her versatility and usefulness.

However; this IS probably the best version of the game. You can choose your gender, the story tacked onto the end of the FES version is gone, and the battle is made to be less frustrating and more streamlined.

It's a fun game, but it's hugely overrated.
  13. Sep 16, 2011
    This is the best psp game ever. Although it is a ps2 game just put on a psp, I cant name a game that can beat it. Length, story, characters, replay value, variety. Everything was perfectly done. One thing I HATE HATE HATE, is that they took out "The answer" portion of this game which you can find in Persona 3: FES. Its a very crucial part to the story as well. I look forward to Persona 4: The Golden Expand
  14. Aug 25, 2010
    This does take a bit of time to get going but it is hands down the best RPG I have played for the PSP. Leonix7791 is right, it is a bit slower than the usual RPG but the style and characters are so well done that the slow pace only accentuates how good this game is. The only thing really lacking is the inability to free roam and the 2d dialogue and "cut" scenes . This is probably due to the limted memory of the UMD.

I played the first one for the PSP and found it repetitive and flat. This one on the other hand is the work of a development team who konws what they are doing and pull it off with real panache. If you are looking for an RPG a bit different from the norm you should give it a try, particularly if you like Magna. Only problem is that you may find it hard to go back to the typical D and D flavour of virtually every other RPG franchise out there once you've given this a try.
    Fantastic, charming and completely engrossing.
  15. Sep 11, 2010
    P3P managed to fix the flaw from P3 and FES, but in order to maintain a quality gameplay they sacrifice they cutscenes, not that it was great graphics to begin with but it just makes me felt like they come short a little. The freedom to play as a girl (slight different in plot but huge different in social links) is a plus and they got rid of the annoying status indicator. Put it shortly, it's a must for those who love P3 and those who're willing to give this series a try... just be more accepting that there's no more free roaming and cut scenes. Expand
  16. Mar 8, 2011
    What can I say?
    Persona 3 Portable is a beast of a game, that is absolutely not to be missed.
    Joining the ranks of my other favourite PSP games (Birth by Sleep, Chains of Olympus, Peace Walker), Persona 3 Portable is an astonishing accomplishment in not only game design, but in scope and what can actually be done with the PSP. This game is huge - it contains two story campaigns (male and
    female main character), both of which follow slightly different patterns with different options for friendship, romance, and other things. The gameplay is a hybrid between a relationship simulator, a tactical turn based strategy game, and exploration. The sections blend seamlessly into a fluid experience.
    The voice acting is usually brilliant, with a few exceptions here and there (I'm looking at YOU, Fuuka) and the art is outstanding. The music is also quite good, although it's a bit random and sometimes quite funny.
    Persona 3 Portable is a varied, fluid, exciting experience and is in my opinion and ESSENTIAL PSP game. Probably one of my favourite JRPGs of all time, and P3P has ensured that I always take my PSP with me when I leave the house (or am in bed!). Really, you cannot afford to miss this game. Buy it!
  17. Sep 13, 2010
    I was surprised at how well this turned out. Many games which are remade onto a hand held device turn out badly, but this one was done perfectly.
    Able to simultaneously make personal decisions which change your character, and hunt an endless army of evil baddies, you never run out of things to do in P3P. Not to mention the addition of the female character in this version of the game allows
    old P3 players to experience the game in a new way.
    Definite must-have for the PSP.
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    A great port for an amazing game. If you have not played the original Persona 3, I recommend you play that over the PSP version. The watching cutscenes with real 3d models is much more hilarious than just listening to their portraits talk. If you have already played P3 however, you will find a lot to love with this port. When you play the girl side you will meet new characters, and they are pretty well designed. As a big P3 fan, I definitely found it worth my time to play this again with the new characters. Overall, great port. I wish they could have brought everything in from the PS2 version, but that's asking quite a lot. Expand
  19. Aug 10, 2012
    This is officially the best psp game I have ever played!!!shin megami is a genius!!!simply beautiful and my heart was so touched by its beauty!Thank you guys for making this game! I can't wait for persona 4!!!
  20. Feb 12, 2011
    Not only is this my favorite RPG of all time, this is my favorite game of all time.
    I'll try to put into words to the best of my abilities just how amazing this game is.
    One of the things that makes this game stand out in the RPG crowd is the phenomenal story. Without spoiling anything, I'll leave it at this; the story will make you reconsider why you live.
    Another amazing aspect of the
    game is the turn based battle system. Not only are you now able to now control the allies in your party individually, but you can play through the game as a female character which opens up many new possibilities. My only gripe with this game is that it takes a while to really get into it but if you stick with it, you won't be sorry. Anyone who considers his or herself an RPG fan or simply a fan of gaming in general absolutely has to play through this game. Expand
  21. Jan 25, 2011
    one of my favourite JRPG and the best I have played on PSP, storyline is what I am after and this one delivers, big fan of the SMT series and for the moment they have only gotten better hope that cathrine will bring us some new surprises as well :)
  22. Jan 27, 2011
    I think this is the best version of one of my favourite games, the option to play as a female main character and the changes to the combat make the game worth playing even if you've already played the PS2 versions.
  23. Jan 27, 2011
    This game is really awesome, even more so than the PS2 original and definitely the best SMT game so far IMO.

Really fantastic - I am a late convert to Shin Megami Tensei (first game I played was Lucifer's Call/Nocturne) but this game ROCKS!
  24. Jan 29, 2011
    This game is highly recommended for any fans of RPGs. I loved the original Persona 3 and so being able to play it on the go using my PSP is an absolute pleasure - but even better than that, rather than just port the game and be done with it they have added brand new content as well. The ability to now play as a female character adds a refreshing change of perspective so that it almost feels like playing a new game; add to that the tweaks that have been made to combat (for example allowing you to control all the characters in your party by turning off the AI) and the result is one of the best RPGs ever made and one of the best games to ever grace the PSP. If you love RPGs you won't be disappointed! Expand
  25. Mar 19, 2011
    The game play is really fun, there seemed to be a lot more strategy needed than most would think.
    The story line to this was actually quite impressive; a little cheesy; but good.
    I love the various of choices you get. You also get to communicate with your friends and other things as well.
    The problem is though; I did find myself in the dungeon.. A lot. A lot more often than I assume the
    average person is needed.
    And for Leonix7791. It's a turn base game. Did you expect some fast paced game? I do agree with you though; the voice acting could have worked out a little better.
    But really other than that; this game is just beautiful.
  26. Dec 2, 2011
    Well it's Persona 2 AGAIN and this being the 3rd time it's graced the world with it's presence. Due to limitations and what not the game now adopts somewhat of a visual novel feel to it. As a person who has played the hell out of Persona 3:FES it's interesting to see the little changes. For one the battle system has adopted the Persona 4 style including the ability to command your teammates because let's face it their not the smartest people in the world. It's easier to raise your social sats and earn money this time around. And the skill card system is a welcome addition. Now the people who get this are more than likely the have played a previous version of this game and like before the social links and japanese student life simulation is surprisingly entertaining as ever. And even after all this time the really emotional part still punch jut as hard even when you've seen them about 4-5 times before. But the best for me is the effort into the female portion of the game. And it isn't just for females and if you can handle the idea of playing as a girl there are lots of interesting things to be found, though the social links are divided oddly and the male can no longer use all but two weapons. The girl side may be better as it explains your teammates better and the emotions displayed by the female are nicely varied. So in short the game is a vast improvement on a already awesome game and it makes me look forward to Persona 5 a lot more considering the vast potential the female side has. Expand
  27. Oct 8, 2011
    Persona 3 has been one of the most influential JRPG's of our time, successfully rebooting Atlus's most promising franchise. Since then, it's spawned an anime, a sequel, an expansion, and a whole legion of fans. Now, the expansive game spawning at least seventy hours, has brought itself over to the PSP. But it's not just a simple port, no, P3P brings an entirely new scenario where you play through as a female protagonist, opening new story paths and "social links".
    What's even better than that is the fantastic plot. Never was I bored or uninterested in the venture which follows your character through about one year of his life at his new school. When he (or she) is recruited by the S.E.E.S. extracurricular club (which in secret fights monsters in the tower of Tartarus), he/she discovers that an impossible hour of time begins between one day and the next. It's very well done. Match all this up with beautiful graphics and soundtrack, and you have an enthralling experience unlike anything you've played before.
  28. Oct 15, 2011
    Great port, and it's the best thing since sliced bread! I found The Answer to be wholly unnecessary, so i don't care if it wasn't included in this thing. I like the changes, like the battle navigation, as well as party control, and the fact that the social link increases don't take as long. Plot wise, it is of course, extraordinary, because it is Persona 3. I love how you have breaks between the hardcore grinding by going on a date or going to a school club like a normal japanese high school student. Definitely my favorite PSP game so far. It's a must-get if you like RPGs, and if you want them portable. Expand
  29. Jun 9, 2012
    Overall one of the best RPGs and one of the best games made by Atlus, they've outdone themselves with this game as it has one of the best original storylines, deep character storylines, unique battle system, amazing music and beautiful art visuals. You will surely enjoy this game and spend many hours on it!
  30. Jan 2, 2012
    The addition of the female main character really adds a great reason to buy this game if your already a veteran of the PS2 versions. For everyone else, this is a VERY in-depth RPG that'll take up hours and days and weeks of your time. This is definitely not a game you can just blow through so be prepared to really invest alot of time here. However that's not a bad thing considering just the sheer amont of stuff you can go and do here. By comparison to the PS2 version, more specifically the FES title, this game has everything that game had and then some. The only thing not included in this version is the Answer portion of FES. However that certainly does not make or break this game whatsoever. Like I said before, the new Female MC really changes things up just enough to almost make it a fresh experience even for those who have already beaten the game. While the main story is still the same, the Dating Sim portion of the game is brand new and gives the game a fresh feel to it. There were some elements of Persona 4 that were added to make life easier as well, including the ability to control your teammates in battle, something that was a huge frustration for me on the PS2 version. For series veterans, there's enough here to make buying this an easy move to make. For people new to the series, this is your chance to experience what was and still is one of the best RPGs on the system that was defined by them. Pick it up today! Expand
  31. Apr 4, 2012
    Persona 3 Portable is obviously inferior to the original, but still looks and plays very good on the PSP. Combat is simple, characters are original and interesting, but the battles are still repetitive and get boring after a while.

Fun to play from time to time, a solid JRPG.
  32. Dec 7, 2012
    This is my first time to play Persona series. When I started playing the game I thought "what's all this Manga school stuff??" But then I got caught by the plot and by the gameplay. The game is very catchy and addictive. The combination of JRPG and Dating Sim works well! I liked the Social Link system, the background of most of them is awesomely written and is interesting to evolve to uncover the stories of the characters. The NPCs AI is pretty decent. Overall, the best game I've played on PSP by far. Expand
  33. Mar 8, 2013
    ersona 3 has been one of the most influential JRPG's of our time, successfully rebooting Atlus's most promising franchise. Since then, it's spawned an anime, a sequel, an expansion, and a whole legion of fans. Now, the expansive game spawning at least seventy hours, has brought itself over to the PSP. But it's not just a simple port, no, P3P brings an entirely new scenario where you play through as a female protagonist, opening new story paths and "social links". Which brings us to the mechanics of the gameplay. While there have been some cuts to make it more apt for the hardware (for example, travelling has been cut down to using a cursor, and the anime scenes have been removed to just stills), it doesn't affect the game TOO much. Sure, I did feel a bit more limited than the first time around, but it wasn't a make or break function. You play as a normal teenager in a Japanese high school, forcing yourself to juggle academics with your social life and free time. As you forge friendships and relationships with others, your strength in the second portion of the game, dungeon crawling through a seemingly endless tower and fighting monsters, increases. It's an interesting mechanic that works quite smoothly. What's even better than that is the fantastic plot. Never was I bored or uninterested in the venture which follows your character through about one year of his life at his new school. When he (or she) is recruited by the S.E.E.S. extracurricular club (which in secret fights monsters in the tower of Tartarus), he/she discovers that an impossible hour of time begins between one day and the next. It's very well done. Match all this up with beautiful graphics and soundtrack, and you have an enthralling experience unlike anything you've played before Expand
  34. Jun 6, 2013
    P3P being the portable version of Persona 3 is a underrated masterpiece. There are many draws in the game, the main ones being story and characters. But the anime style and clearly Japanese soundtrack are great too.

Gameplay is really fun, this version has the unique One more! battle system where if you attack a monster with it's weakness you get to attack again. But the monsters get
    the same advantage if they attack you with one of your weakness'. It feels a little like you're cheating because you can wipe out the enemy before they ever even get the chance to move if you know what you're doing, it's a lot of fun once you get it down, it becomes almost like a rhythm

This version also makes it easier to play in shorter bursts and adds the female protagonist which really does change things up. All this comes at the cost of the 3d world beautiful cut-scenes and the 20 hour story epilogue "The Answer", so what version to get should be determined by what system you have more than anything.

Voice acting is some of the best in the business, and the character design is amazing especially if you like anime, I highly recommend the artbook to go along with it, the huge soundtrack is worth getting aswell

The story is very dark (even the color scheme was made to reflect this) and will probably make you cry (I sure did). Finally one of the coolest aspects is that you have to commit pseudo suicide to summon your persona, each character has a different way of doing it and even after hundreds of hours it never gets old.

If you like JRPGS and/or anime or just a game with great all around everything then get this, you won't be disappointed
  35. Jul 16, 2013
    Persona is by far my favorite JRPG series, even topping that of the venerable Final Fantasy (which, for my tastes, is far too inconsistent in story and universes). I believe that P3 and P4 exist equally on the plane of greatness, and this PSP adaptation is somewhere one notch below.

First, the good things. You will find that the core gameplay has remained the same, and even improved,
    from the original P3, including FES. The battle mechanics, while still the same, allow you to control your party members, and the Shuffle Time, which is necessary to advance to certain levels of fusion, has new modes and rewards.

The part that made this game for me though, and the reason why it gets an 8 instead of a 6, is the all-new female player-character, with a different UI and social links, and a few story changes. It is so unbelievably well done that when I finished the game and went to New Game Plus, I didn't even really want to play as the male PC as in P3, but I did for the sake of completeness anyways. It was a good move, and I am sad to see that they scratched it when they remade P4.

Now, the bad things. The first and foremost thing you will find distracting is the overworld. Unlike P3 and P3: FES, there is no 3D overworld. That is used purely for battling. While I understand that there were space limitations on a UMD that prevent this 60-80 hour monster of a game, there should have been some way to compress the textures enough to make it 3D. The weird overworld models and lack of actually seeing your character outside of your portrait gets distracting rather quickly.

The second thing is that, like the lack of a 3D overworld, this game does not have FES. While I did like the story FES provided when I first played it, after playing through P3P again, I realized that I actually like this ending without FES better. It's a bit more poetic.

However, you WILL NOT understand the opening of P4 Arena if you do not play FES. I do believe there are a few copies of FES by itself, without P3 floating around, so if you can nab one and you still have a PS2, I highly recommend playing it if you plan on getting into Arena. I personally haven't played Arena, although I do want to really badly, but I have seen the intro, and you will be kind of confused if you haven't played FES.

Overall, this game is better than P3 in every way except for the lack of a 3D overworld and FES, which are major distractions and disappointments, and earn this game an 8 instead of a perfect ten. You won't be disappointed, but you will have trouble getting into it and understanding some things.
  36. Jul 26, 2013
    It's rather fun game but as its sequel it gets kinda repetitive in time, I actually liked this one slightly better though, I love all the monsters it has and concept is great even if I feel they could pull it way better, I hope one day persona 5 comes out and is able to top it prequels as there surely is still much to improve without changing game mechanics crazy much at least.
  37. Oct 9, 2013
    The most enjoyable way to play Persona 3. Although it doesn't have as much extra content as FES this is made up for by being a lovely port of the original.

For those unfamiliar with Persona on Shin Megami games this is the perfect place to start. While the first two games in the series are certainly playable 3 did everything right, blending dating sim and dungeon crawler in a way that
    neither are tedious.

If you are the type that likes a more rounded ending though FES on ps2 is for you.

1. Jul 8, 2011
    Minus the original cutscenes and Iwatodai's open world, P3P is still a classic RPG oddity. [Aug 2011, p.81]
  2. Jul 3, 2011