Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together PSP

8.8

1. Aug 12, 2011
    Guest characters (AI characters) are suicidal - simply the worst AI (or scripting) in recent years. This became a deal breaker for me when on one level I was giving the choice to save a AI-controlled character in an impossible situation. After several hours of trying and searching internet for tips, I found out the only way is to cheat the system or let her die by making an out ofGuest characters (AI characters) are suicidal - simply the worst AI (or scripting) in recent years. This became a deal breaker for me when on one level I was giving the choice to save a AI-controlled character in an impossible situation. After several hours of trying and searching internet for tips, I found out the only way is to cheat the system or let her die by making an out of character choice. The illusion that I was in control of "battle tactic" is but all broken at this point and the rest of the game matters little. Don't call it a tactic/strategy game if the only way to play is by developer's design. Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2015
    I was really excited to finally buy this game, getting a PSVita recently. I've beat Tactics Ogre a few times in the past on PSOne.

The new systems and graphical changes were refreshing at first, but it all seems like a half measure. The portraits are great, but the sprites are lazily low-rez. All of the new features are things that modern SRPGs not only have, but have advanced upon further making Tactics Ogre still feel 2 steps behind.

What killed the game for me is the pace. The game is easily 40-50 hours, but to be honest 20-30 of those hours could be removed if battles weren't so slow. You have low damage, low chance to hit, and the board is flooded with enemies. It can easily take 4-5 hits (assuming you hit with 40-60% chance to hit) to kill one enemy. The trajectory system also drives me nuts. 9/10 maps the enemy is given the high ground, making it very easy for their archers and casters to hit you. Having the low ground you're going to constantly hit your own units. What's the point of having a knight protect a wizard if the wizard is just going to keep hitting the knight in the back?

There's also no real alternatives to grind your characters to speed it up.

Ultimately I started questioning why I was playing the game when I could play something like Disgaea 4 or Fire Emblem: Awakening instead. Despite the upgrades, the game still feels just slow, old, and a waste of time.
  3. Apr 3, 2015
    The game has a good premise, but a very flawed execution.

The first few battles your characters will be lagging behind, relying on the guests, since they have very low damage and piss poor accuracy. (60% chance of hit from the back!) Your units are blank slates, and the game expects you to work and make them useful. This would be great if wasn't for the obnoxious and low resource
    The game has a good premise, but a very flawed execution.

Your units are blank slates, and the game expects you to work and make them useful. This would be great if wasn't for the obnoxious and low resource pool.

To make them useful you need to unlock skills. To unlock skills you battle. Each battle is very slow, due to the high number of units and the low damage output, and gives you just enough points to unlock about one skill.

To use the skills you need to set them in slots that also need to be unlocked. And each slot unlocked makes the next one even more expensive, making the already slow process even more insufferable.

Skills also have levels, but it takes to much grind - you need to use a skill about ~150 times to level it once.

Equipment have damage type, elemental affinity, and weather performance. But none of this adds strategic value, just bloat and time.

Now and then you will need to protect a Guest. They have have two AI patterns: Moronic - casting harmful spells on you - and Suicidal - rushing towards the enemy giving your an early game over.

Menus are bloated and excessive.
    Shops don't have an option to compare your equipment.
    Class system is uninteresting.
    Battles are too slow.
    Damage is too low.
    Accuracy is too low.

Tactics Ogre is slow, contrived and poor. The developers focused in adding too many subsystems and forgot to balance them.

#5 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2011
#3 Most Shared PSP Game of 2011

1. Jun 20, 2011
    Bottom line: If I can only have one SRPG for the rest of my life, it isn't even a contest. I could play Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the next 10 years and still be finding new stuff to try. One of the best remakes of all time.
  2. May 11, 2011
    Fifteen years may have passed since its original release, but Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together still manages to enchant any "tactical-RPG" lover who devotes his free time to it. A real gem that earns its rightful place next to Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions and Jeanne d'Arc.
  3. May 10, 2011
    In closing, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together appeals to a very specific demographic: the serious fan of the SRPG. It is time- and energy-intensive, but the reward is immensely worthwhile.