Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Essentials PSP

• Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
7.5

1. DonT.
    Mar 27, 2006
    I Really Wanted to like this game! Unfortunately, it's loaded with crash bugs, camera clipping problems, and horrible controls. That's Ubisoft for ya! You did the same with my favorite series Prince of Persia on PSP! As for graphics; the screenshots everywhere on the net look very good, and they had really gotten me pumped for the release. However, The majority of the game is I Really Wanted to like this game! Unfortunately, it's loaded with crash bugs, camera clipping problems, and horrible controls. That's Ubisoft for ya! You did the same with my favorite series Prince of Persia on PSP! As for graphics; the screenshots everywhere on the net look very good, and they had really gotten me pumped for the release. However, The majority of the game is Black (not dark...just balck!) and you end up having to use the night vision all the time. This wouldn't be so bad if the night vision didn't look so bad. If you think this game looks great, then I'm guessing you're comparing it to the DS or something 'cause the newer games like Syphon Filter and Daxter make this Splinter Cell look rather weak. As for the controls, I got used to it after a while, but not being able to shoot and move at the same time was REALLY not intuitive. Maybe it's because I played quite a bit of Syphon Filter and got spoiled by thier controls, but Essential's control implementation lacked finish and forethought. Example: the analog on the PSP is WAY too sensitive and you try to sneak by moving the nub just a bit and end up running: not the outcome you're expecting! Expand
  2. AllyP.
    Mar 22, 2006
    All I can say is get Syphon Filter not this game!
  3. Nov 13, 2014
    Did not like the game much. The militaristic/stealth setting is great and shooting/melee attacks from surprise were fun, but overall Essentials is way too hard for non-hardcore splinter cell gamer. High difficulty, complicated controls, often unclear/obscure mission objectives, and also in some places somewhat busted technically. Only for die hard fans of stealth games.

#11 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2006
#29 Most Shared PSP Game of 2006

1. The AI is so basic that it is possible to rush through many areas without fear of getting hurt or even getting noticed. Even if you do decide you’re going to take it slow, it is a lottery as to whether some enemies will detect you or not.
  2. To make an embarrassing story short, Splinter Cell: Essentials is a mess. For a series that leads the stealth genre and has worked hard to make itself more accessible and more polished with each successive sequel, an entry like this—even on a portable— can only be seen as a miserable failure.
  3. Play UK
    Fans of the series should be prepared for a fight if they want to get the most out of the game. [Issue#139, p.75]