Traxxpad PSP

6.3

1. PeterH.
    Sep 25, 2007
    It's not as good as the reviews indicate. I imported this as soon as I heard about it because I've been waiting in desperation for a good PSP sequencer to sketch out the ideas that (invariably) hit me on the way to or from work. Then I could go home and program them properly with proper synths, guitars etc in my studio. Unfortunately, the user interface is so astonishingly bad It's not as good as the reviews indicate. I imported this as soon as I heard about it because I've been waiting in desperation for a good PSP sequencer to sketch out the ideas that (invariably) hit me on the way to or from work. Then I could go home and program them properly with proper synths, guitars etc in my studio. Unfortunately, the user interface is so astonishingly bad that the software can't fulfil this function. This is nothing like Cakewalk, Logic or any "real" sequencer - it has a dreadful gimmicky front end with a very broken separation of the sequence, melody and arrange windows. If you have a musical idea, rest assured, by the time you've fought your way through choosing an instrument and working around the poorly-laid out "melodee" window, you'll have forgotten it. Even if you've disabled the stupid dancing robot animations. The sounds are poor but that doesn't matter for a sketchpad; however, what is unforgivable is the total lack of ease of use. I'm good with this sort of thing; the very first game I ever had on a PSOne (and the reason I bought a PSOne) was Codemasters' Music, and I've used various console iterations since, in addition to ten years programming vintage synths using Logic. This thing is aimed squarely at ADD-troubled kids who want to cobble together piffling hip-hoppy loops without really knowing what they are doing (hence the soundset full of clunky West Coast percussion stabs and mock record crackles). I challenge anyone to program anything more complex in a meaningful way. Perhaps Beaterator will be better - fingers crossed. This, I'm afraid, is a titanic disappointment. Expand
  2. TimV.
    Aug 7, 2007
    Just too hard to learn. i've used audacity and garageband, and they're both far easier to pick up. after playing with this for a couple hours, i still couldn't get further than producing and editing one beat. from there i couldn't even add instruments. and the manual was no help at all.

#40 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2007

1. A marvelous addition to the PSP library. Gamers with an overflow of talent but a lack of funds and musical equipment should pick it up immediately and get to work.
    It's extremely powerful for what it is, but that also means it's complicated and not as user-friendly as a computer-based equivalent.
  3. It takes some patience and dedication to learn, but it is well worth the effort.