• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 16, 2005
7.8

1. Aug 11, 2010
    I'm a bit of a white-knuckler flyer, so handheld gaming is a must. I bought my PSP for this game (and bought 3 more copies for my friends so we could play it in ad-hoc multiplayer). Great fun - good for smack talk. Still play it. In my mind, it's far superior to its successor Pulse. I have no idea how to finish this game, it's so tough in the faster classes, but I've had a great timeI'm a bit of a white-knuckler flyer, so handheld gaming is a must. I bought my PSP for this game (and bought 3 more copies for my friends so we could play it in ad-hoc multiplayer). Great fun - good for smack talk. Still play it. In my mind, it's far superior to its successor Pulse. I have no idea how to finish this game, it's so tough in the faster classes, but I've had a great time trying. This game and Lumines were a promising start for the system. Expand
  2. Assimov
    May 20, 2007
    A racing game, with good control in PSP. Addictive and entertaining. Graphics are nice (except ships, a little simple). Downloadble content is good. Now it's at low price so it's a very good buy.
  3. K.V.
    Jan 22, 2006
    Amazing. One of the best games in PSP.
  4. MartinR.
    Jul 20, 2006
    I cant beleive they managed to get the speed of phantom class on the psp! I will still be playing this in years to come.
  5. MaximusGladiator
    Mar 25, 2005
    This game is Amazing! A must have for the PSP. Really does showcase what the PSP is capable of. Much better than RR! The music also complements the games superbly. A really well done job.
  6. PhilL.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Fabulous game, with immediate pickupability yet excellent depth. Let's have more like this soon!
  7. JonnP.
    Apr 7, 2005
    Hestiated to pick up this up since I'm not into racer games, this turn out to be more fun than I thought, critics comments with music was right on... sight, sound, control and adrenaline fun.
  8. EC
    Jun 4, 2005
    Amazing racing game! Has creative gameplay, replayability value and a professional soundtrack that just feels like it fits perfectly in the game. It is also very easy to pick up and just get into it. A MUST GET for the PSP.
  9. Zippidydoo
    Jun 6, 2005
    GREATEST GAME ON EARTH. jk, its still real real real real real real real real real good though, and the new downloadable tracks rock! go check em out if you already havent!
  10. BenA.
    Jul 6, 2005
    Wow this is a great game, the speed you travel and the tunes that it belts out as you go screaming at 400mhp into a crimson sunset while a volly of red flaming missles arc over your head before tearing into a brightly lit neon tunnel. i could play this till my eyes bleed.
  11. PaulM.
    Aug 7, 2005
    This game is a great game because when you use it with a psp you can browse the internet.
  12. ImpulsePayne
    Oct 10, 2007
    This game is almost perfect. Its fun and exciting and the racing crafts are awsome!!! screw what some critics said its a good game. Take this from a kid who's played the game instead of listening to these up tight critics who find every little mistake or glitch there is. Buy this gameand you won't be dissapointed.
  13. TomS.
    Dec 29, 2005
    This game is brilliant! The visuals are just fantastic. There ar lots of levels, incorporating diffferent speed classes. The controls are easy to use and remember. A must have for the PSP - WipEout Pure deserves every mark it gets!
  14. AB
    Mar 24, 2005
    I expected Wipeout Pure to be good, but I didn't expect one of the best racing games I've ever experienced. Nearly everything in Pure is perfect. The graphics are beautiful. Pure looks as good as a lot of PS2, GCN, and Xbox games, and has just as many effects. Also, the sound is amazing. The music and effects are great. Most importantly, the gameplay is perfect. With this, Ridge I expected Wipeout Pure to be good, but I didn't expect one of the best racing games I've ever experienced. Nearly everything in Pure is perfect. The graphics are beautiful. Pure looks as good as a lot of PS2, GCN, and Xbox games, and has just as many effects. Also, the sound is amazing. The music and effects are great. Most importantly, the gameplay is perfect. With this, Ridge Racer, and GT 4 planned, it's clear that the PSP is going to be the best handheld console for racing games. Expand
  15. JayK.
    Mar 25, 2005
    I got this on a whim because I heard it was good and the store didn't have Ridge Racer. I sure am glad I got this instead. I was a fan of the first Wipeout, but for whatever reason I just didn't dig the sequels as much. In Wipeout Pure, however, every mode is gripping and addictive. The graphics and framerate are great, but the best thing is definitely how fun it is to master I got this on a whim because I heard it was good and the store didn't have Ridge Racer. I sure am glad I got this instead. I was a fan of the first Wipeout, but for whatever reason I just didn't dig the sequels as much. In Wipeout Pure, however, every mode is gripping and addictive. The graphics and framerate are great, but the best thing is definitely how fun it is to master the extremely satisfying controls. I can't decide whether I like analog or digital better, they're pretty different. The weapons are extremely refined, fun, and require just the right amount of skill to use. Usually I only play racing games that have a gimmick, like upgrades and such. This reminded me of what makes the best and most memorable racing games, namely, exceptional RACING. A+. Expand
  16. BlancoA.
    Mar 25, 2005
    What a wicked, insidious game. Just like XL and WipEout 3, this baby can suck your time out from under you and vaporize your social life. I love it, but I have to learn to live with it in a responsible way. The only reason it gets a 9 instead of a 10 is that the system seems a little small in my hands. It's a bit of a struggle to use the triggers in the same way you'd use them What a wicked, insidious game. Just like XL and WipEout 3, this baby can suck your time out from under you and vaporize your social life. I love it, but I have to learn to live with it in a responsible way. The only reason it gets a 9 instead of a 10 is that the system seems a little small in my hands. It's a bit of a struggle to use the triggers in the same way you'd use them with the larger Dual-Shock controller. But for a handheld, it's revolutionary. If you buy a PSP and you don't buy this game.... well, it's like buying one of the new Mustangs and putting 87 Octane in it, I suppose. Expand
  17. DaveM.
    Mar 27, 2005
    Absolutely the best title out for the PSP, stunning framerates and a hardcore electronic soundtrack. Truly shows the power of the PSP. You are missing out if you do not buy this title!
  18. TillB.
    Mar 28, 2005
    Hello everyone! Wow! This game is superb. It´s the best game that I´ve ever seen on a handheld. The graphics are beautiful, the sound is excellent, the gameplay is nearly perfect! It´s pure fun for a very, very long time. Everyone who have got a PSP must have this game. Buy it now!!! I´m from Germany, so my English isn´t so good! Bye!
  19. N!CL
    Mar 9, 2005
    This is an amazing game that is nowhere near a rehash of PS2s Wipeout Fusion. Fast ships and mindblowing graphics (IM NOT KIDDING) this is a must have for sure. Videos and screenshots are at ign.com . I am not a promoter for that site or for the game. ign has actual gameplay videos. the graphics might not look as good on a big computer screen but on the PSP, they are amazing.
  20. John
    Apr 12, 2005
    A very strong title.
  21. TonyK.
    Apr 13, 2005
    I liked it more than the Ridge Racer ~ Awesome graphics...good sound ....best racing game yet for PSP. You won't regret buying it for urself !
  22. Dbarry
    Apr 3, 2005
    Fantastic game, picked it up with my psp, never been more pleased with a racing title.
  23. IbraheimF.
    Aug 22, 2005
    Definatley a must own psp game. Although the tracks in the game are classic track frm older wipeout games and the computer racers get more difficult as you progress in a kind of noticeable way, it certainly does not take away the fun from it. Also connect to the net to download more tracks which are impressive to say the least
  24. JazzJackrabbit
    Aug 28, 2005
    Ignore the illiterate morons rating this zero. It's a great game, extremely addictive, with tonnes of downloadable stuff coming out all the time. A rip-off of Star Wars?!! You mean the pod race, which was blatantly ripped off from Wipeout !!! Jeez, get a brain - then learn to write.
  25. MarkoD.
    Sep 15, 2005
    Fun racing game. The main thing that makes this addictive game work is the music. What they need to add is a snow track and it would be perfect.
  26. Kewlkat
    Aug 22, 2007
    I'd have a reason on why this is the greatest psp game if I actually REMEMBERED what that reason was before I fainted from playing it. Is it possible for a game to be that intense? I don't think I'll EVER know the answer to that without dodging a couple of bombs, weaving through a few mines, outrunning a missle that's quicker than me, and trying to escape that I'd have a reason on why this is the greatest psp game if I actually REMEMBERED what that reason was before I fainted from playing it. Is it possible for a game to be that intense? I don't think I'll EVER know the answer to that without dodging a couple of bombs, weaving through a few mines, outrunning a missle that's quicker than me, and trying to escape that inevitable EARTHF#CKINQUAKE that's in my rear-view mirror, all in the first lap WITHOUT passing out. Expand
  27. StevenR.
    Mar 22, 2005
    WipeOut is back to basics... & Better then ever. It's nice to see the king back on top of the mountain. The is only one WipeOut.. The rest of the clones in the past 5 yrs are left in the Dust.... Dust......
  28. AramisG.
    Apr 15, 2005
    There wasn't an obvious choice for me when it came to the launch line up for the PSP. I don't like sports games, I was never a straight up racing game fan and now I know I hate card games (of any sort, even MGS rip offs). I played F-Zero for the Gamecube and found it relatively amusing so I purchased Wipeout Pure as my first PSP title to hold me over. My first impression of There wasn't an obvious choice for me when it came to the launch line up for the PSP. I don't like sports games, I was never a straight up racing game fan and now I know I hate card games (of any sort, even MGS rip offs). I played F-Zero for the Gamecube and found it relatively amusing so I purchased Wipeout Pure as my first PSP title to hold me over. My first impression of Wipeout Pure was "Wow! This looks beautiful!" Instead of traveling so fast you never really pay attention to others on the track, like F-Zero, Wipeout has you fighting it out neck to neck with your competitors to reach the finish line. You can either find a way to pass them, ram them out of the way or use a weapon on them. However be warned, the bots in this game are temperamental and will totoally try to cut your neck (especially once you have done it to them). This added element of combat makes Wipeout that much deeper than a standard racing game. I really have no idea what the Warcry review is talking about. Expand
  29. BunnyLee
    Sep 16, 2005
    This game ROX. (it's worth to buy). all the morons who gave this game 0 can FOAD [Ed: TABHADWAI] :@ :@ :@ Greetings from Belgium
  30. BruceC.
    Nov 17, 2007
    I've played a couple of the previous versions of WipeOut and have always been impressed by this series, but the latest version for PSP is exceptional! The handling of the car is terrific; you can use the D-pad or analog stick for subtle taps, and the shoulder triggers work airbrakes for harder, tighter steering. The graphics look beautiful, almost jewel-like, and the selection of I've played a couple of the previous versions of WipeOut and have always been impressed by this series, but the latest version for PSP is exceptional! The handling of the car is terrific; you can use the D-pad or analog stick for subtle taps, and the shoulder triggers work airbrakes for harder, tighter steering. The graphics look beautiful, almost jewel-like, and the selection of music works well with this face-paced game. You know a racing game is great when you find yourself leaning your body left and right as you swoop through the curves. The only caveat I've found is that apparently there are online downloads (extra courses, cars, etc.) available at the developer's web-site, but when I try on numerous occasions to download it times out. I suspect it's because the downloads are only available to certain countries, and my country is not one. All in all, I rate WipeOut Pure a 9.5 out of 10. Fantastic! Expand
  31. Jan 6, 2013
    Wipeout Pure is honestly one of the best racing games made especially for a portable, this is truly a console experience on a portable that is worth getting. You'll love the sheer difficulty, the amount of content there is available, the unique style gameplay and design and of course the music which matches quite nicely with the overall design of the Wipeout Pure experience.

1. The lack of online play and the sheer difficulty for newbies keeps it from attaining GR gold, but we're just happy to see it back on the podium where it belongs.
  2. Pure brilliance.
  3. A handful of new gameplay tweaks, new hovercraft racing classes and a PSP-worthy visual overhaul make WipeOut Pure the best installment in the series since 1996รข??s "WipeOut XL."