7.4

1. Mar 15, 2015
    Weirdly, the wii U platform does not support the multiplayer component of this game. It can obviously run it if even a PS3 can, but the Arkham Saga seems a little racist towards Nintendo outside of Arkham City Armored Edition (Debatably the best in the series). There's no multiplayer, but the gamepad is integrated quite well without interrupting gameplay (and optional, so you can just useWeirdly, the wii U platform does not support the multiplayer component of this game. It can obviously run it if even a PS3 can, but the Arkham Saga seems a little racist towards Nintendo outside of Arkham City Armored Edition (Debatably the best in the series). There's no multiplayer, but the gamepad is integrated quite well without interrupting gameplay (and optional, so you can just use a regular pro controller if you please) and any avid Arkham fan knows the game doesn't flow terribly well in multiplayer to begin with. With a ten dollar lower price tag this is the system I recommend you get Origins on.

It Isn't terribly innovative, but rather refines Arkham City. Combat is slightly deeper with new tools and combos, flowing a bit faster and feeling much more fluid. Story is much more interesting, bringing out many obscure characters such as "Anarky", "Firefly", "Calendar Man" and more (Yes, Calendar man is a villain. And he's not as silly as he sounds). The introduction of such creative characters, including the fantastic boss fights not only build interest in the characters but their comic book origins. After meeting a character a little bio is unlocked, and I'm unafraid to say I've read them all. This cast is new, fun, and feels less like an obligatory parade of Penguin, Two Face, Catwoman etc. (Though a number of usual suspects also appear). With more refined combat, larger plentiful maps for stealth scenarios the game will be left with one flaw. It borrows a LOT from Arkham City.

Numerous parts of the much larger map are in fact taken from Arkham City. You might find it lazy, but they're modified significantly enough and from a story perspective there's no reason they wouldn't have been built yet. Small glitches WILL occur, but rarely enough that they won't distract from the game (At least on Wii U, PC is an infamously different tale). If you liked Arkham City, treat yourself and explore Gotham and its inhabitants. If you haven't played it, try Armored Edition first. If you weren't thrilled with City though, Origins won't be changing your mind.
  2. Apr 21, 2014
    This game is just perfect! Combat makes really fun, stealth scetions can be breathtaking and there is a lot to do in the open world version of Gotham City.
  3. Jun 19, 2014
    A little too similar to arkham city. Very few new ideas and some repetitive gameplay. No online mode on Wii U edition but they made up for it for making it cost $10 less. Still a great Batman story, I never ran into any glitches that people were complaining about
  4. Oct 25, 2013
    The game looks pretty nice on my Wii U! And the I haven't beaten the game yet but as of now its pretty intense and feels a bit more serious then the last Batman Arkham games. The only gripes I have with the game is that it feels and looks too similar to Arkham City and it does not have as many gamepad functions as the Armored Edition but other then that its still pretty awesome and its aThe game looks pretty nice on my Wii U! And the I haven't beaten the game yet but as of now its pretty intense and feels a bit more serious then the last Batman Arkham games. The only gripes I have with the game is that it feels and looks too similar to Arkham City and it does not have as many gamepad functions as the Armored Edition but other then that its still pretty awesome and its a nice edition for any Wii U collection. The Gamepad still has the radio chatter and Alfred talking through the gamepad and the map on the gamepad screen but the hacking and radio signals are no longer touch based, you also have to hold ZL and use the D-Pad to select your gadgets as they do not show up on the gamepad.
    The game is compatible with the Wii U Gamepad and the Wii U Pro Controller. It also supports off-TV play as well.
  5. Nov 9, 2013
    This is definitely one of the best games I have ever played, and definitely one of the best games on Wii U. It may not have the multiplayer on Wii U, but if you have a Wii U, you should get it on Wii U, because it is $10 cheaper, and the gamepad makes gameplay extraordinary just Arkham City Armored Edition, however not quite as many gamepad features as Armored Edition had. If you likeThis is definitely one of the best games I have ever played, and definitely one of the best games on Wii U. It may not have the multiplayer on Wii U, but if you have a Wii U, you should get it on Wii U, because it is $10 cheaper, and the gamepad makes gameplay extraordinary just Arkham City Armored Edition, however not quite as many gamepad features as Armored Edition had. If you like Batman, you will like this game. Bad reviews are given by people WANTING the game to be bad because it wasn't made by Rocksteady. Those people need to jump off a cliff because this is an amazing game. The most awesome thing about this game may be the boss fights, this game has some of the BEST boss fights I have ever played! If you like Batman and video games, you NEED to get this game. It is amazing! Expand
  6. Oct 25, 2013
    The cape is finally black, and there are no man panties in sight. Now Rocksteady should learn to make a serviceable Batman by omitting the absurd blue/purple cape and briefs, their Batman design is a walking paradox.
    P.S. The grey belt is nice, keep that too.
  7. Nov 26, 2013
    This game may be in my top ten favorite games of all time, it may not have changed the formula as much as city did but there is not as much to change that would be unneeded if you are a fan of batman arkham city i recommend this game. i have played all versions and the wii u version is probably the best because of the lack of the horrible multiplayer. the wii u version is also the cheapestThis game may be in my top ten favorite games of all time, it may not have changed the formula as much as city did but there is not as much to change that would be unneeded if you are a fan of batman arkham city i recommend this game. i have played all versions and the wii u version is probably the best because of the lack of the horrible multiplayer. the wii u version is also the cheapest being 10 dollars cheaper than all of the other versions. this is probably my favorite game of the year so far Expand
  8. Nov 25, 2015
    Batman Arkham Origins is a little different than the other Arkham games. It is from a new developer and features new voice actors. WB Montreal takes the helm while Roger Craig Smith voices Batman and Troy Baker voices The Joker. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill left big shoes to fill for Origins, but Smith and Baker make it look easy. They do amazing jobs. WB Montreal also manages to do aBatman Arkham Origins is a little different than the other Arkham games. It is from a new developer and features new voice actors. WB Montreal takes the helm while Roger Craig Smith voices Batman and Troy Baker voices The Joker. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill left big shoes to fill for Origins, but Smith and Baker make it look easy. They do amazing jobs. WB Montreal also manages to do a great job. Everything you have come to know and love about the series is still here. The combat system, visuals, characters, feel of Gotham, Origins has it all. But is more of a good thing a bad thing?

The story of Origins takes place before Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and revolves around Batman having to fight for survival when Black Mask puts a huge bounty on Batman’s head. Eight villains are up to the task, so you’ll get to go up against every single one, along with the many street thugs that inhabit Gotham’s desolate streets. It’s a nice change of pace from the heavy handedness of Asylum and City. That is where the main difference lies. The main villain can’t really compete with iconic Joker, so we can’t fault the writers too much. Luckily, there are several great and recognizable villains to encounter throughout the game. I enjoyed the story wholeheartedly. The gameplay is what you have come to expect. The button-mashing awesomeness of the fighting system is back, along with the crazy combo streaks. The controls are as tight as ever and bashing all the baddies is just as satisfying. The atmosphere in this game makes it stand apart from its predecessors. The snow is constantly falling, it’s Christmas Eve and there are Christmas trees and colorful lights everywhere. I just wish Gotham was more bustling. The only people around are police, thugs and Batman. It tends to feel a bit empty and dull at times.

The visuals are pretty solid, especially for being an open-world title. There are some frame rate issues when gliding around the city from time to time, but it never hinders the experience. Also, some textures tend to look muddy if viewed up close. Character models are the standouts with good attention to detail. The city may be dark, but it’s always glimmering with lights from apartment windows, Christmas lights and lamp posts. Of course, there will be plenty of gliding around Gotham and focus on the main story, but what about all the in-between moments? To go with the combat, you will come across a few great weapons such as the Triple Batarang, Smoke Pellets, Cryptographic Sequencer, Concussion Detonator, Batclaw and more. There are plenty of bad guys to test your abilities and weaponry on around the city and it’s fun to listen in on their conversations. They are usually shaking in their boots because of Batman’s presence. Another last thing to note is the upgrade system. You get ability points by accomplishing various goals and missions. There are plenty of awesome upgrades, whether it’s to one of Batman’s weapons or armor. Overall, Batman Arkham Origins is a very fun and enjoyable game. It has an interesting story, great combat system, tight controls, nice atmosphere and a solid group of villains. Yes, it may be very similar to the other games in the series, but that’s not a bad thing. It doesn’t break any new ground, but it’s still one heck of a good time.
  9. Dec 31, 2013
    While I give major credit to the storytelling, Origins is more of what we already had. That's not necessarily a bad thing but the lack of almost no important new items and mechanics holds this game back. Also, the Wii U version suffers from some frame rate issues.
  10. Nov 5, 2013
    It's good but not as good as I was hoping. Graphics look great but not any better then the older systems such as ps3 and 360. I would say it's as good as Arkham City but not much better.
  11. Jan 7, 2014
    It actually seemed like a shorter main story then some games, but believe me there's plenty else to do as well. The city seemed kind of dull but it's night time so what do you expect. My game had a bug where you couldn't here certain audio on Local Surveillance. The fighting and predator gameplay was fantastic (I beat the game on hard mode and once i got the hang of things it was fun) TheIt actually seemed like a shorter main story then some games, but believe me there's plenty else to do as well. The city seemed kind of dull but it's night time so what do you expect. My game had a bug where you couldn't here certain audio on Local Surveillance. The fighting and predator gameplay was fantastic (I beat the game on hard mode and once i got the hang of things it was fun) The story was awesome, the game looked great. But the bugs and the dullness of some parts detracted from that. I give it a 8.5. Collapse
  12. Jan 28, 2014
    One of the best games of last year. The gameplay and graphics are great. And the story was surprisingly the best thing about it. I love this game and I hope i'll play this again at one point. But I rented so, I don't know.
  13. May 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played Batman: Arkham City and I was not disappointed when I picked it up, so I was pretty pumped about Arkham Origins. Fortunately, I was not let down by this game. Does Arkham Origins succeed in topping its predecessor or is it just a cash grab to get longtime fans to get the game?

THE GOOD
    Luckily, this is an origin story so newcomers should have no problem jumping in. The story of the game is not better than City, but it still has shocking plot twists and quick moments. The cutscenes are now CGI which is pretty cool to look at. The gameplay remains largely the same but that isn't a bad thing, because you don't have to get used to everything all over again and forget the gameplay most players have done for two games.

You have almost all your gadgets from the beginning and unlock some new ones throughout your journey on Christmas Eve, which may be a problem for some people but it was fine for me, because I don't want to unlock everything all over again. Batman gets a bunch of new gadgets--most are good but some are just copies of some from City but with different names. Batman also gets some shock gloves (which seem to be taken straight from Armored Edition) which makes the more challenging thugs a breeze if you're about to die.

THE BAD
    The game's story is one of the games weak points. It starts awesome at first when "Black Mask" puts a $50,000,000 bounty on Batman's head, and sends 8 assassins out to kill Bats for the money. Then the bad part about the story is when Batman investigates a murder at a hotel and finds out that someone (everyone playing probably knows who that is) dragged Black Mask out of the hotel to get access into Black Mask's safe and get money. Once you get to the bank, there are TWO Black Masks. The one with the mask strangely has a humor of kicking people in the face. Then he takes off his mask and its.............THE JOKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously!? Then the game completely forgets the 8 assassins and it goes to another Batman vs. Joker story. If they were going to do that, they should at least make him Red Hood first, not Black Mask.

Another bad thing is the graphics, after the astonishing graphics of Arkham City, they just took all the buildings and added some new ones. They are not even detailed at all. It is just muddy graphics with no attention to detail whatsoever.

FINAL VERDICT
    Arkham Origins was a good game. No, it wasn't as good as City, but still worth your money even at full price. The gameplay is great, but the graphics and story aren't the best. That still shouldn't stop you from buying this game.
  14. Sep 6, 2015

Batman Arkham Origins improves the refined combat but doesn't feel as good as it should

+ One night story
    + Boss battles
    + Combat is smooth and responsive
    + Street crimes

- Doesn't feel as good as the other games
    - Lacks innovation
    - Story could have been better and deeper
  15. Feb 3, 2016
    Definitely the least favorite of the Arkham series, other than the PC port of Arkham Knight, this game is often credited with not improving enough upon Arkham City. While I can see where they're coming from, I don't think it's fair to judge a game based on its predecessor. While plenty of people will hate a game for the repetitiveness of its series, I prefer to take a step back and look atDefinitely the least favorite of the Arkham series, other than the PC port of Arkham Knight, this game is often credited with not improving enough upon Arkham City. While I can see where they're coming from, I don't think it's fair to judge a game based on its predecessor. While plenty of people will hate a game for the repetitiveness of its series, I prefer to take a step back and look at the game itself, unless it actively got worse. This game has the Arkham gameplay we all love, often immitated but never replicated. The story is great as well, the characters were legitimately interesting and I actually came to worry for one of them (avoiding spoilers.) Overall, I love this game. It's not the best in its series, but it certainly does stand out. Expand
  16. Jan 7, 2014

1. Mar 3, 2014
    Despite its similarities with Arkham City - Armoured Edition, this Arkham Origins ends up on a lower threshold. Its hints of innovation don't go as far as they seem to promise and the lack of a multiplayer component is simply impossible to understand. A higher degree of ambition would have worked much better for Arkham Origins.
  2. Jan 13, 2014
    The Batman: Arkham series has been of a consistent quality since it began with Asylum, but with not too many changes to the formula, it has started to become a tad too stale.
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    If you haven’t played a game in the Arkham series yet, you’d be better off starting with the superior Arkham City; diehard fans are sure to get some surface-level enjoyment out of Batman’s latest outing, but disappointment is sure to set in when examined too closely.