8.9

1. Feb 21, 2014
    Haven't finished the game, but from what I've played some of these low reviews are baffling. The level design and attention to detail are top class. The gameplay is fluid and intuitive. Lots of great, subtle ideas presented on a moment by moment basis, so I'm not sure what all the "lack of ambitious gameplay" is all about. Maybe these reviewers rushed through things a bit?

Absolutely
    beautiful game, by the way. Maybe the best looking game on the Wii U (Close between this and Mario 3D World). David Wise on the soundtrack puts it over the top. Get it. Expand
  2. Feb 21, 2014
    The level design of this game is just perfect. I truly recommend this game if you like platform games and challenge. The boss battles are well thought.
  3. Feb 21, 2014
    This a beautiful game with an incredible soundtrack. Join Donkey Kong and his Kong family in this outrageous adventure on the Nintendo Wii U. DK and fam look brilliant as you maneuver them through this games bright and colorful worlds. The boss battles are intense and overall this is a classic game. Check out my youtube channel seantendo001 - especially my Quality Content Comparison video.
  4. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is awesome and I do recommend it to anyone though it does have some cons but overall it is a great game for the wii u. But by far the best thing is the maps they fell alive
  5. Feb 21, 2014
    Brilliant level desing, A alot variety in almost every level, Good boss fight, Amazing soundtrack.. Beautiful graphics. Challenge is fair and I love that you can found secret path from levels... Amazing game.
  6. Feb 21, 2014
    Perfect? No. Beautiful, challenging, and ambitious? Absolutely. I own DK Returns on the Wii and 3DS, never got too much into it... But this one goes above and beyond, console-purchasing worthy gameplay with in-depth levels, a beautiful colorful world, and difficult enough even for the most avid gamers looking for a new challenge. I can't give it a 10 simply because, well, I think you can fairly compare this to the Mario franchise... While comparable, Mario just has an "it" factor that can't be touched. A tremendous game nonetheless and a must-have title for all current or potential Wii U owners. People really need to stop sleeping on this console as it currently has some excellent titles, DK Tropical Freeze being a noteworthy one. Expand
  7. Feb 21, 2014
    Pretty much all the high reviews are in love with the game, and the low reviews are confusing at best, nonsensical at worst. Take from that what you will, but I'm solidly in the first camp.
  8. Feb 25, 2014
    I am writing this as a follow up review. My first review was my initial response to the game, which still stands. I had just made it through the games vast and ambient level selections, massing to approximately 70 levels. The graphics and attention to detail was phenomenal. The audio was probably the most enjoyable part of the game, due to the fact of the ambiance had been made unique for each level and section within that level. Level design was fantastic, though were some parts that seemed a bit jaded generally due to the fact there are many repetition throughout 2D plat-formers. Though the overall game-play and mechanics were challenging, they were not frustrating. For every balloon I had lost there was a moment of joy to serve as a balance, and after getting past each struggle there was a sense of achievement to further that balance. The Wii U is truly building a promising library and I believe there is no reason not to get one knowing that this game, upon many others out and soon to be, is apart of it. Expand
  9. Feb 21, 2014
    a nostalgic romp through all the best things that donkey kong country has to offer. the gameplay is fluid, quick and fun. the music is great and really true to the series. the graphics are also impressive as an HD Nintendo title.

this game really hits the nail on the head if you are looking for a solid new entry to the donkey kong series.
  10. Feb 21, 2014
    Better than Rayman Legends. I think people who give it a low score are either mad about not getting HD Metroid, or they didn't grow up playing games in the 80's. This Retro game feels like an arcade adventure with limitless quarters. Sure the motion and timing has to be precise just like the original Donkey Kong, but at least they throw as many lives as you need at you without making it feel like hand holding. This game is 1080p running at 60fps so that makes it "next gen" in the minds of pixel counters. For me, sure the graphics and music are stunning, but it's the challenge that gives this game huge replay value. Expand
  11. Feb 22, 2014
    Retro Studios have done an astounding job resurrecting the spirit of a franchise's history while creating something new to add to the legacy. If you liked Donkey Kong Country Returns, this game is improved in every possible category, from a stellar soundtrack and graphical fidelity, to the variety of levels and fantastic enemy design. No other video game has felt like such a thrill ride from start to finish, nor packed more personality and awe-inspiring moments than Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Expand
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    Easy to learn, difficult to master, some of the most involving art design and music you will come across, there is no reason not to love this game. I would recommend it to absolutely anyone.
  13. Feb 21, 2014
    First of all let me thank the developers for making this truly wonderful game. Now, I also have to say that the musical score for this game is a 10/10. The remixes of the previous tunes as well as the new melodies are hauntingly beautiful. The game play is the classic DK platforming (if you've played DK Returns you know the style) and it is difficult in some areas which is a great relief because it's a challenge and for $50 a game should be challenging, not a hand holder, point a to b, linear quest. It uses all the different Wii/Wii U controller schemes (unfortunately you CANNOT USE the Wii Classic Controller). There are a ton of collectibles in the game that adds a bunch of replay ability. All in all this is a great game for the price ($10 less than normal games) and is probably the BEST WII U game on the market at this time. Check it out, you'll go banana's, hahaha! Expand
  14. Feb 21, 2014
    this game is a masterpiece! boss fight are very good. one of the best game my ever played.luckily this game is very challenge it´s like it! level are very long all collectecting per level need about 20 minutes to time.get this game now! very good!
  15. Feb 23, 2014
    I was really looking forward to this since I enjoyed playing its predecessor Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii a lot. The only thing really holding DKCR back was the gimmicky waggle controls, which are not present in this game so it had every chance to turn out an even better game. Sadly I feel that DKC:TF misses the mark a bit, and having finished it today I don't really feel like going back and getting all the extras like I did right away for DKCR.

I think the level design leaves a lot to be desired, there is way too much trial-and-error which is the completely wrong way to go about difficulty in games. I find it curious since DKCR had very little of trial-and-error in it's design. It's virtually impossible to finish some levels on your first try since some obstacles seemingly appear right out of nowhere and there is not enough time for the player to react. The developers seem to have gone for a Super Meat Boy approach where extra lives are expendable, but I feel that doesn't suit this kind of game really, and neither the original DKC nor DKCR intend you to play the game like this. Additionally the controls take a while getting used to. Retro Studios have a track record for overcomplicating controls going back the Metroid Prime games, but there is no excuse for making them this complicated for a simple platformer. DKC had two action buttons and there was no need for more.

The boss battles are a bit tedious since they aren't really that hard but take a long time to finish because you can only damage the bosses for a short window of time, then their animation begins and you have to wait for a very long time to hit them again, turning these battles into kind of a drag, especially if you happen to die while in a boss battle.

On the plus side the graphics are absolutely stunning, but I understand why they pushed the release date back. The general approach to difficulty and level design in this game could've used even more work.
  16. Feb 22, 2014
    As a big fan of Donkey kong country returns (which i played on both the 3ds and wii), i can safely say this is even better. I didn't think it was possible to get better, but they have done it again. Exceptional level design, very beautiful graphics, and fantastic soundtracks from David Wise, and Yamamoto. One of the main reasons this improves upon the already fantastic game dk returns, is the possibility to play as not only diddy kong, but two other ones aswell- dixie kong, and cranky kong. They all have unique abilities, and they also have unique "team actions" this is a bar you fill up, and if you press the two triggers at the same time, they high five and something cool happends. If you have a wii u, do yourself a favour, and get this game! :-) Expand
  17. Feb 25, 2014
    If you want traditional video games that are actually good, you have no choice but Nintendo these days. This is gaming perfection and sheer joy, pity edge children today prefer interactive movies.
  18. Feb 22, 2014
    Retro have done good job for making this game to be fun and challenging. The levels are good long and not too long or short. The gameplay, music, graphics are amazing. The level design is not perfect but very good. But somehow this game does not give the same spirit than the old DKC games. I hope next time they really bring back the Kremlings that really belongs to this series.
  19. Feb 23, 2014
    NOTHING short of a MASTERPIECE. Absolutely OUTSTANDING in every way. BEAUTIFUL environments, standing ovation-worthy music, challenging gameplay; everything you could want out of this game. The best game to grace a Nintendo console since Super Mario Galaxy (and that's saying something). Hands down a MUST BUY. I cannot stress what a work of art this game is. David Wise's music is absolutely outstanding and compliments the utterly gorgeous environments Retro Studios has created in such a way that it may bring you close to tears, as it did for me. Bravo to David Wise and Retro Studios. Bravo! Expand
  20. Feb 22, 2014
    I am struggling to figure out how a site like Gamespot can use the words "bland level design" when reviewing this game. Each stage of this game is as unique as Rayman Origins was when it came out. This is as close to the original DKC games as we are EVER going to get. Do yourself a favour: Pretend it's you from 1996 and you've just finished DKC 3, and you're wondering "what will they do next?" Someone shows up and gives you this and says. "This is the DKC from 18 years into the future. Play it. See what you think.

That's how i felt playing this game. It's astonishing.

Well done, Retro Studios.
  21. Feb 23, 2014
    Since I'm a huge fan of DKC series, I thought I knew what I want. What I would like was: Kremling, Animal buddies... yeah I still miss them but Tropical Freeze is a game that proved me that I really don't know what I want. The game surprised me in such a great way, I almost didn't miss Kremling's and animal buddy.

Each level is unique, each level has so much details that we are not
    used to see in games. The challenge is fair. The levels you will find in this game could inspire any game designer. If you have a Wii U, you should be playing this games instead of reading here my comments.

This game is a serious candidate for the Game of the year, in my opinion.
  22. Feb 26, 2014
    EXCELLENT GAME!!! recommended to all WII U OWNERS!!!! Great level design, awesome music, & cool challenges. The best DK game in a while. Must buy!!!!!
  23. Feb 24, 2014
    This game is simply incredible. It's the ultimate culmination of all previous DKC games, and if I could have seen this back in the early 90's my brain would have exploded. Graphics, gameplay, and sound all come together in an epic tour de force, as one of the best games I've played. WOW THIS GAME IS GOOD.
  24. Feb 22, 2014
    As with previous DK games.. levels are reasonably long and fun to play.. great visuals and awesome soundtrack. I particularly like the boss levels, which can be fairly challenging. This is a must have game for Wii U!
  25. Feb 23, 2014
    DKCTF is an amazing game. I'm not finished completely yet, but what I can say is that it is (one of) the best game on Wii U. The levels are so vibrant, the background looks just fantastic, every second something is moving or changing. The controls are good, especially under water. The music fits to each level, and nearly each level has its unique soundtrack. The graphics are very fluid and colorful, only 720p, but that's more enough; it's still very beautiful. The game is very hard, but therefore you have items you can buy in Funky Kongs shop. Negatives: Loading times really are a bit long, but OK. And the bonus stages for puzzle pieces get a bit boring after a time.

All in all, this game is amazing. Every Wii U owner should play it! It just makes that much fun, and that's the most important thing.
  26. Mar 8, 2014
    I've never reviewed a game on Metacritic, but something has to be said about this game. Just looking at the User Scores (186 Positive, 4 Mixed, 21 Negative) it's obvious that there is something wrong with the way that modern video game journalists review games. This game does not deserve an 82.

Tropical Freeze is a breath of fresh air in a era of gaming where emphasis has been placed on
    things like plot, realism, Quick Time Events and DLC. The game is completely built around one thing: gameplay. Some of the most challenging and exciting gameplay in any game I've played in years. This game is essentially the Dark Souls of 2D Platforming. It's beautiful, the co-op play is fun and lets you and your friends share the joy of clearing level after level. There are secrets around every corner as well as things that can kill you. Boss fights are actually interesting and force players to think on their feet to defeat. There is simply something special about Tropical Freeze, it actually manages to surpass all the previous Donkey Kong Country games before it. Tropical Freeze is one of the best games I've ever played.

I honestly feel as if the people who would rate this game negatively either are used to playing games that are more like movies, or games that simply aren't challenging. For someone who craves a beautifully crafted game that bursting with ingenious ideas, an incredibly difficult challenge and well designed co-op play, Tropical Freeze is the way to go.
  27. Feb 23, 2014
    Okay this will be a quick and simple review broken down into 5 categories 1) Visuals Hot damn does this game look good. It runs at a smooth frame rate and all the characters and enemies show great animation. The primary colors are brilliant and it looks great in HD. The variety in level types is great, and this is one of the best looking 2D platformers. 9 2) Sound Following the DKC series the music is fantastic. A wide variety and it reaches the quality standard. I won't review too much for the music, as a quick video search will find the OST. 9

3) Design
    Many people find this lacked good level and I cannot disagree more. Very rarely did I feel bored with what it threw at me, and it didn't overuse anything. A very difficult game to add, but it teaches you through the design and rewards you for not being conservative. 10

4) Controls/technical
    Tight. Not much too say. Pretty perfect for a platformer. My only gripe is how tedious it is to switch in a second player, and it's not so simple to switch between TV and gamepad play like in Super Mario 3D world. 8

5) Lasting appeal
    This game could easily draw me in again many alternate paths, collectibles and co-op is enough to bring more after your first run-through. 9

28. Feb 28, 2014
    Beautiful, absolutely flawless gameplay and level design, funny, diversified, colorful,... the new DKC is all that, and more. It is long, especially if you wanna get all the collectables, challenging and crazy fun to play. Kudos to the soundtrack. The DKC series has always been known for its amazing OSTs, and this one is definitely one of the best and most inspired ever heard in a video game.
    Retro Studios really captured the essence of this legendary character and made a game that suits him perfectly. The fans will probably love all the old Donkey Kong vibes, mixed with modernity.
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a masterpiece of its genre, and it keeps reminding it to us during every single level we're travelling through.
  29. Feb 24, 2014
    This game is one if the best platform's to date and arguably the best looking. It's charming ,challenging and also boasts a stunning soundtrack. If you own a Wii u and don't hate all that's good and fun you should own this game !
  30. Feb 27, 2014
    Basically if you like Donkey Country 1 and or 2 and or 3..This is better! Yes it is that good.The main thing I enjoyed was that it had clever hiding spots for the puzzle pieces,I have not even played through the 2nd stage yet and I can already say this is a 10 game,must have.Thank You Nintendo!!
  31. Mar 19, 2014
    This game is amazing. Dare I say, it's better than the originals. Yeah, I went there. The controls are smooth, the music is AMAZING, the level design is perfect... All the stars aligned for this gem. With the addition of Cranky Kong and Dixie Kong, it fits more styles of play. Anyone who turns this one down is missing out.
  32. Mar 24, 2014
    Just finished the game after playing it for about a few hours over the course of 3 weeks. I love Returns but this game blew it out of the water the music, level design, multiple characters, and beautiful levels made me want to 100% this entire game but man hard mode is hard.

I highly recommend this game to anyone one of the best platformers on the system and with rayman legends and 3d
    world thats saying a lot I would love to see a third game from the returns series! Expand
  33. Feb 22, 2014
    Beautiful visuals, fun gameplay, and a pretty challenging experience. Those kids complaining about the difficulty of this game are obviously used to the majority of today's blockbuster releases that come with training wheels. This is a great throwback to older platformers that required persistence and skill to complete.
  34. Apr 4, 2014
    Amazing Game. Must Have for any DK Fan. Crisp Graphics, Game play, Level Designs. Feels just as good as any new version. You can also play the full game on the gamepad which is how i usually play after kicking back to relax on the couch.
  35. Feb 25, 2014
    There is a lot of complaining about the game not being innovative, but, to me, this franchise didn't need a makeover yet. New level designs, new enemies, new bosses with the same great style of game play and better visuals is perfect for me. The cut scenes look great, and there is a little bit more 3D in this game than in DKCR, and I like using the game pad so much better than holding the Wii-mote sideways.

I have to deduct a point for the abscence of useful game pad functionality. Nintendo needs to patch this game so that you can use game pad and the TV at the same time. How great would it be to have the person playing on the gamepad be able to go back or forward off-screen to thump a couple more enemies, or to grab some needed goodies? Even just mirroring the TV would be better than nothing. That way I wouldn't have to die when kids or wife walk in front of the TV while I'm playing. Pretty dumb Nintendo.
  36. Feb 22, 2014
    This game is brilliant. Improved controls, great HD graphics, tons of humour, enemies, extras...I mean,the new puzzles alone would have been great, the way You can throw enemies around, the fantastic coopmode...to date for me the best JnR on Wii U, and maybe on any console. Retro know what they are doing and how to please gamers.
  37. Mar 26, 2014
    One of the best modern platformers, if not the best, that I have ever played. I cannot compare to old school platformers (just not fair), but of any recent titles (last gen and current gen), by far the best. The music is amazing, the artistic graphics are awesome, the gameplay is challenging and a good amount of difficult, controls are responsive and fun. If you buy a WiiU, buy this game.
  38. Feb 23, 2014
    Great game. DK is my favorite Nintendo franchise. Grew up playing it on the SNES, so yes I am biased; but down to business. What makes this game great, is the way it excells in all aspects of video game development. Art style Level design Animations Small Detail to level Game play ( hasn't change that much from WII, but polish and does have a flow if you reach that skill level )

and Music ( One of the best for any gaming franchise , up their with Sonic / FF )

My biggest con is the game really feels like a sequel. And perhaps missing some innnervations. It's a plat forming game at heart, so you will be a lot of running, jumping, climbing, and swinging. There's nothing wrong with that, but we did it during the WII. They do add some new aspects but again, Nintendo games always seem to leave room for improvement for the next installment.

It just ins't revolutionary enough to start selling consoles left and right but this is about all I could find wrong.

The second last con ( objective ) is difficulty. Hard games are great, and tough to come by. But for once I was really enjoy taking my time with each level, slowly playing through and enjoying each level as they come and go.

World 4 is ALL under water, bit disappointed, which boss took me over 15 tries until I got tired and use the power up from the store; defeated him my next try. ( again this will not effect the score, just my anecdote ) World 5 starting getting more frustrated and it goes on from there.

----

On a side note. I really enjoyed the cave / autumn levels in World 2. They were quite beautiful and were able to pull an emotion out of me, which is what gaming is all about.
  39. Mar 7, 2014
    Where can i start..the games graphics are expertly done, the water and fur effects are some of the best I have ever seen. The controls work truly well and are very responsive. You do get a few new moves with crankies hop stick jump and the pluck move to alter your environment. The game sticks to the side scrolling formula but every now and then switches to a angled view for certain aspects of gameplay. each level is a different world to explore they hide collectibles and other secrets extremely well and will require multiple playthroughs to 100% each level. Again with graphics they are just so colourful and extremely well detailed it's the best looking game on wii u as of now. There are a ton of levels to run through and there are about six worlds, so the game does boast a good 20-25+ hours of game play to complete everything. The under water sections are a pleasure to play being that most video game water levels are universally less likable than other's, but in this game they are extremely fun. The only minor gripe i have with the game is the game pad implementation is nothing but a controller, audio device and obviously a screen for off-tv play. But seeing though I use another controller anyway it doesn't matter to me, a real gem this one. Retro Studios have another classic on their hands. Expand
  40. Feb 25, 2014
    A brilliant game, packed with innovative level design, gorgeous visuals and a soundtrack that craves an official release. It's the most fun I've had with a 2D platformer since Rayman Legends.
  41. Jul 5, 2014
    ill start off by saying that the graphics are gorgeous , the gameplay is pretty similar to donkey kong returns , the game is just a fun 2D Platformer overall , the only DOWNSIDE is the Difficulty can be very frustrating at times , i recommend getting a Pro Controller , it works much better then the gamepad , also the game doesnt really use gamepad other then off screen play , but still a great Platformer Expand
  42. Feb 23, 2014
    a masterfully crafted game. music,visuals,game play,variety. this game offers so much! the amount of detail this game has is incredible! to the enemy that inhabit the land to the environment all the way to the smallest animations. this game will keep you hooked. at one point you will be shot into a tornado, jumping on land that has been ripped from the ground while lighting strikes at you destroying the very platforms you stand on. at another you will be in a mine cart dodging left and right avoiding wholes in the track made by sharks right in front of your very eyes. there are many instances like these, challenging and rewarding and none of the game feels unfair. all of this action is complement by the beautifully crafted music and environment. for any wiiu owner, this is a must buy. Expand
  43. Feb 23, 2014
    "Sigh" Where to begin? I couldn't wait for this game to be released, I'm sure like many others. It looked amazing through the trailers. I went out and got the game on the release day, put it straight in and away it went. At first glance it really catches your attention, vibrant colors and unique level designs. The load times drag a little, but are ignorable. It starts off like majority of platform games, slow and easy, but before you know you're right smack bang into some incredibly hard and frustrating levels. On first, right away one thing frustrates me and I'm sure many others, is the button/s for the role maneuver and the......we will call it the ground bash move, are exactly the same. Now that doesn't bother me.....that much, what bothers me is the X and Y buttons do exactly the same thing. Why couldn't they split the two moves up onto their own button? The point I'm getting at is, the roll maneuver can only be used when you are moving in either direction. It can't be used from a halt, and the ground bash can only be used at a complete stand still. This can be very frustrating when in the heat of the moment. Sometimes a quick roll is needed to get out of danger and sometimes a good ol ground bash is handy when trying to get an item or, when trying to reach the next part of the level. I can't explain how many times I have died from both of the moves. Trying to completely stop, to get an item or to advance in the level, and roll off the edge, or visa versa. Having to do a roll and end up ground bashing and get killed by a failing platform or other hazards. It may seem like petty complaints, but this was almost game ruining, for me anyway.

Another annoying thing about tropical freeze was the extremely repetitive gameplay. Sure, some new awesome things were added, and some old ones also, like, the mine-cart, the Rhino, a rocket that you ride and a snowball you get to control. These were all fun things, and I extremely enjoyed them, but, and it's a big but. This where tropical freeze really disappointed me. The game play felt very repetitive. Now, I don't know if it was because I found it extremely difficult, by island three you're finding yourself constantly dying, this may have been what made it feel very repetitious and tedious. The game it's self, would have been very short with out having to repeat a certain part as many as five or more times, Thus dragging it out and making the game feel a lot longer than it should have been. The enemies were fairly dull also, a lot of the levels felt draggy, and the levels that were actually enjoyable we're short and much easier.

Another thing I would like to mention, was the boss fights. Though they were actually quite fun, they quickly became like the rest of the levels. It felt like one of the brain training games from the DS. Memorization and more memorization, until you knew it so well, it would haunt your dreams. I don't think there was a boss fight where I didn't die at least once. It wasn't difficult, once you learnt their pattern it got easy, but until then you're in for a hell of a ride. Most bosses are long, and have no check point. So, if you die, back to the start for you. This got frustrating very quickly.

All in all, it wasn't the worse platforming game. It was entertaining in some aspects. The music like all donkey kong games, was up to standards. In the end I often thought, Am I just trying to finish this game to hear all the sound tracks? Because I sure as hell ain't enjoying the game all that much. The visuals were also stunning as usual. A lot were put into them, and I do thank the makers and the company for putting in a lot
    of effort.

I have been a huge DKC fan since the SNES, so be sure this isn't a biased review. To me it just didn't shine like I was hoping. All in all, it was a decent game and had some fun aspects, nothing mind blowing but plausible.....Just. I give it a 6.

Thanks for reading.
  44. Feb 23, 2014
    Excellent game. Old and new fans alike should find plenty here to enjoy, from the lush visuals, to the incredible soundtrack. Everything feels unique and handcrafted. It seems like most people that don't enjoy it take issue with the difficulty. Sure, it's difficult, but it isn't unfair, and the controls are slick and responsive. Practice, improve, and you are rewarded with a fulfilling experience from Retro and Nintendo. Expand
  45. Feb 24, 2014
    Great throwback to the original series with beautiful level design complimented by an amazing score. Ultimately, this game is challenging, but is completely fair.
  46. Mar 14, 2014
    If you've been holding out for a a solid Nintendo title that will bring back the classic feel of console gaming, now is the time for you to buy your Wii U. If you already own a Wii U, it's pretty much your BIRTHDAY! Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze brings back so many elements of DK Country with absolutely gorgeous graphics and catchy tunes from the original composer.

Play it, beat it, buy
    it, and saddle up on your rhino cause there are plenty of secret levels with loads of bananas just waiting to be found. Rayman was great, Donkey Kong is awesome! Expand
  47. Mar 14, 2014
    I hate monkeys more than global politics, but here we have DK with some pretty lame characters and nice graphics. Sad, but i need to mention all frustrating things here starting with bad hit detection and ending with inappropriate control scheme. Seriously, i think that wii-U deserves more good games. But not like this one.
  48. Mar 15, 2014
    Just finished the game, and honestly i have three words for a review: Buy. This. Now. It was absolutely phenomenal - graphics, gameplay, and most importantly (for me) the MUSIC. It was a nostalgia trip for me going back through the 1990s playing DKC's on the super nintendo... Absolutely phenomenal game. Way better than DKC Returns. Loved every second of it!!
  49. Mar 20, 2014
    The Game is great for classic gamers and newer gamers, its a retro platform game with new type features. The reviews have been to harsh I strongly believe if a game is labeled "Wii U" then they will go in expecting to be bad. The game has a nice feel and flow, graphics are nice no frame rate issues for me. The only thing that needed to be added in my opinion is being able to play as other kongs in single player. Anyone who is looking for a fun game to play and owns a Wii U should pick it up for sure. There is no reason for this game to score anything less than an 80. Expand
  50. May 1, 2014
    This game is perfect! The best game of new generation! Donkey Kong is good game for all ages!
    And have good boss batles! as good as the donkey kong country
  51. Apr 9, 2014
    I am 38 years old and I love platform games, because I have been playing them for decades. I am typically very critical of how a platform game is constructed. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is a masterpiece. Also, the music is excellent, it adds to the entire experience .
  52. LBC
    Feb 27, 2014
    The New Donkey Kong Country is incredibly deep and requires patience. I learned this in DKC Returns after speeding forward to my death many times. Tropical Freeze brings the series to Wii U and does not disappoint. DKCTF is a finely crafted old school platforming game wrapped in gorgeous graphics.

That being said, it's not a system-seller. If you aren't sold on the Wii U at this point,
    Tropical Freeze is not going to change that. Expand
  53. Mar 21, 2014
    DKCTF is challenging, beautiful and its controls are nigh perfect. Level design is among the best, most intricate and imaginative in any platformer. The soundtrack is easily one of the best in any game done by the legendary David Wise who have many iconic video game music tracks under his belt and he's the original composer of DKC series in the 90's. The boss battles are the best in the series and the replay value is over the roof and the game is priced at 50$, suffice it to say that you'll get more than your money's worth if you buy this game. Highly recommended, go buy it, you'll never regret. Collapse
  54. Mar 17, 2014
    A very pale comparison to its own predecessor of 2010, but still an okay game overall. DKCR was essentially a perfect game and a necessary one. Tropical Freeze doesn't really have much of a purpose. There is swimming, but it doesn't feel great. There's the same hard-as-nails game design, but it's made pointlessly frustrating by a less-than-responsive input. The controls in general feel laggy, perhaps as a result of the way the game is buffered on the Wii U, but I played the game side-by-side with DKCR and it was like night and day how much more responsive and tight DKCR was. That sluggishness in controls lead to countless deaths as a result of missing vine grabs even though I pressed the ZR button, rolls instead of ground-pounds and ground-pounds instead of rolls, and missed jumps galore. My girfriend also finished the game, and complained of the exact same problem. The level design also does not hold up. Levels are bizarrely long, like at least 3 times longer than they need to be on average. There is very little here that is both new and genuinely enhances the experience. The ice levels are okay, there are no new animals, Dixie is super-useful and Cranky is kind of neat in certain scenarios but you basically have to guess which side-kick will be most useful, and it often doesn't even matter, except when it does. The bosses are also way to long, tedious marathon battles divided into 3 phases each. The secret portal exits are often incredibly difficult to find and require playing a level over and over again, which due to the length of levels will drive you insane. The music is incredible, and the game looks great, and there are a few levels are genuinely fun, but it isn't until the second to last world that the game finally shows some of its strengths, and they quickly diminish back into the grind of trial-and-error that makes up most of the final world. The pacing of each level is exasperated even further by there being way, way, way too many bonus levels. There should never be any more than 1 of these per level, much less 3 as some of them do. If you are truly starved for something to play on the Wii U, wait until you can get it used or rent it. It's not even in the same ballpark as the previous game in every way except music. Expand
  55. May 17, 2014
    This game is amazing. Crisp graphics, enjoyable soundtrack and amazing level design. Great 2 player multiplayer action, really rockin with a good wingman/woman. A 10 except for a few minor items. Lives are shared, so if you are say, playing with your 5 year old, lives evaporate quickly. No ability to swap the player 1 character from DK. I also miss the lack of the blowing mechanic from the 3DS version. My complaints are minor and come from experiemce with other games and other DK titles. This game is an incredibly enjoyable experience for the family. Expand
  56. Mar 6, 2014
    Some of the puzzles could have been a bit better thought out, but other than that.. swimming, riding rhino, using the supporting characters, traveling the worlds, and boss battles are all very fun and thought out. The soundtrack is epic for a Donkey Kong Country game. Very easy on the ears and eyes. Except the sounds it makes when you die. And you will die. Probably more than you would expect. But it does make for a very rewarding experience when you finally get it right. This is a must have game for any Wii U owner that has a remote interest in platform games. Expand
  57. May 3, 2014
    Playing through Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, I thought it was a nice platformer. The designs were nice, it proved to be challenging, and it used some nice dynamic camera angles that I hadn't seen before in a 2D platformer. Then it was over, and I found myself a little disappointed at how bare-bones the game turned out to be. Unfazed, I decided to extend my playtime by collecting all of the K-O-N-G letters and Puzzle Pieces. It was then that I saw the game start to open up. Although it's not as extensive as New Super Mario Bros. U or Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze had one important thing going for it; the "just one more try" mentality. The inclusion of collectables such as Images and Dioramas added to the thrill of trying and failing, and listening to the absolutely gorgeous soundtrack over and over was never irritating. It's just one of those games that you may not love at first, but overtime you begin to appreciate the smaller, finer details that the game poses to you. In a long line of 2D platformers for Wii U, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze finds itself amidst some stiff competition. But this game doesn't ape the others (pun intended); it merely puts its own spin on the meaning of 2D platforming just like other greats before it. If you are a Wii U owner and are desperate for a game that is challenging and rewarding, look no further than Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It is a title that has definitely earned its place in every gamer's home. Expand
  58. Apr 7, 2014
    It's been a long time since sidescrollers were the norm in the gaming world, but enthusiasts of the genre still have a lot of excellent options to get their fix. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, with its endless simian charm and incredible atmosphere, might well be the very best of them this side of year 2000.

The Donkey Kong Country series has always been known for its attention
    to graphics and music, and once again Retro Studios kept true to the norm. Every single stage feels like a living, breathing environment, with staggering amounts of detail and incredibly fluid HD animation. The soundtrack was composed by the great David Wise, who wrote most of the defining tunes from the SNES series, and that should speak for itself. Better yet: graphics and sound blend together to form an even greater whole. Background animations sway to the music, from upbeat jungle themes to idyllic seaside melodies and moodier, darker compositions. This generates moments such as the absolutely breathtaking Grassland Groove, first stage of the game's Savannah-themed third world (and quite a contender for the title of greatest sidescrolling level of all time). Simply put, it's a feast for the senses.

If you think all the production value was used as an excuse for half-baked gameplay, well, think again. Tropical Freeze delivers frantic action with dynamic camera, loads of control nuance, and level design that is seamlessly integrated with the animations. It's not an easy game by any means, especially if you want to collect everything, but it's so perfectly crafted that even less experienced gamers should keep trying. It's a lesson to modern game developers: a big challenge is more than okay as long as it's part of a compelling package.

In designing their version of the Donkey Kong Country series, Retro has shown equal amounts of reverence for the Rareware-developed originals and a desire to make their own thing. Their original ideas work most of the time, but there are still some problems. Even though we have three extra Kongs to play with in Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky, they're little more than power-ups, instead of being full-fledged characters like they were in the SNES (thankfully, this is rectified in the post-ending hard mode). And of course, there's the continuing lack of animal buddies aside from Rambi the Rhino, which remains the most puzzling of decisions.

Even so, the many right choices made in Tropical Freeze make it the best title in the franchise since 1995 masterpiece Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. It's colorful, it's charming, it's filled with the series' trademark brand of meticulously designed chaos, and that's what makes it unforgettable.

Rating: 9.5
  59. Jun 29, 2014
    This is what video games were meant to be. Entertainment found through challenge of skill-based gameplay, with flawless mechanics, top-tier soundtrack, gorgeous visuals, expertly crafted level design, creative and unique bosses, and incredible replay value through time trials video uploads.

I've loved Donkey Kong Country since I was a small child. And this game blows the breaks off its
    predecessors. Rare made a classic trilogy back in the 16-bit era, but the games fall incredibly short when compared to Retro's recent triumph. In fact, most games fall short of Tropical Freeze. I can't recommend this game enough. If you suck at video games, and like to be led through from start to finish with novice difficulty that makes you feel like a winner, this game is not for you. But if you are a real GAMER, and find entertainment through overcoming a challenge via practice, skill, and perfectly timed maneuvers, look no further. DKC Tropical Freeze is, at least in my opinion, the greatest 2D platformer I've ever played. Expand
  60. Apr 3, 2014
    When Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze I was a bit disappointed that Retro Studios weren’t working on a different project. I knew that it would be a good game, but it would be more of the same. I was right. It’s a blast to play through Tropical Freeze but I can’t shake off the feeling of over-familiarity.
    Let’s start with the best thing: the graphics. Sometimes it feels like the main
    reason of this game was to have Donkey Kong in HD, and it sure looks good. Country Returns I regard as a brilliant platformer, but because of the Wii’s graphical limitations, it didn’t look as good as it could have. Tropical Freeze looks excellent. It’s not the visual spectacle that Super Mario 3D World was- scenery and locations don’t have that same wow factor- but it still looks impeccable. All the enemies have great animations too, and Donkey Kong’s fur particularly is very detailed and realistic.
    If it is true that the main justification for this sequel was the potential of HD, then Retro have succeeded. The game also has a powerful musical score alongside the graphics. In some ways, though, the game is a total letdown. At this time Nintendo should be showing off the potential of the Gamepad to benefit games, so it’s slightly worrying that they didn’t even consider using that second screen. It doesn’t even have the rarely used functionality found in 3D World. In fact, the screen goes black when playing. For that reason I played the game entirely with the pro controller.
    The Gamepad doesn’t benefit the game at all, losing some potential to make levels more creative than they are, however the excellent design of each of the levels, requiring very precise jumps and movements to get through, is as great as it was before. Sadly levels aren’t as challenging as they were in Country Returns but they’re still designed with fantastic flow, with very well thought out ideas every time. They are also extremely dynamic, forcing you to stay on your toes. While it’s a lot of fun and quite challenging as well, there aren’t too many new ideas. Levels aren’t really that creative and some of the best ideas- such as silhouetting, cannon level and rocket barrel and mine cart levels, all appeared in Country Returns. Often the levels are made to constantly be falling apart, so that you have to keep moving, however this too is a great idea but recycled from this game’s predecessor. The 3D camera allows for some potential in perspectives and ideas, and some levels make excellent use of it, like a challenging rocket barrel level, but it just isn’t used enough through the game, featuring in only a handful of levels. The bosses are an excellent example of how the game excels, with amazing creative ideas. They also return to the punishing, brutal difficulty of Donkey Kong Country Returns.
    Unlike Country Returns, which had eight worlds, Tropical Freeze has only six. This means it’s beatable- along with lower difficulty- in much less time. There are still the puzzle pieces and kong letters to collect in each level, which offers a lot of replay value, but the game could seriously do with more levels.
    There’s one thing I’ve left to the end, and that’s the characters. Whereas in Country Returns you could only play as DK and Diddy, Dixie and Cranky are added to the list here. They each come with special abilities: Dixie can hover like Diddy and then boost upwards and Cranky can bounce on spikes. While this is a nice thing to include, the problem is there’s one outright winner you will use all the time- Dixie. Her superior powers render Diddy effectively pointless and though Cranky’s bouncing abilities are also useful if you want to get to higher places, Dixie, again, does the same job with her ability. Multiplayer functions incredibly well, which was a surprise. It can be quite chaotic, but that much was to be expected. The camera is (usually) perfect in multiplayer too. There’s no online though, which is disappointing.
    Overall, Tropical Freeze is great fun to play, with some good ideas introduced. It does play it safe in the level design, which drags it down quite a bit, but there’s no denying it’s a sight seeing its environments rendered in full HD.
  61. Jun 9, 2014
    The best wii u game to date. it is a must have and a system seller. the gameplay is great. the difficulty is perfect. the only thing that i can think of that is wrong with the game is the lack of a good menu setup. nintendo has always had a problem with their menus and it is a thing that needs to be fixed.
  62. May 25, 2014
    This is an amazing game, the graphics are fantastic and the gameplay is just one of the best ive seen in a platformer. Although its a very hard game you never feel cheated of dying. There is also alot of content and collectibles as well. This is one of the best games on the Wii U. The level design is purely amazing, it ranges from normal platforming, swinging from vines, minecarts, underwater levels, rocket barrels and even riding on the back of a rhino. Also the addition of Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong are a bonus. If i could i'd give it 9.5 but a 9 will just have to do due to its boring under water levels. Expand
  63. May 22, 2014
    Well folks, if you've been looking to play the greatest 2D platformer of all time, you've just found it. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is absolutely phenomenal in every single way. The visuals are superb, the level design is amazing, the amount of content is huge, the replay value and multiplayer is great, the music is worthy of awards, it innovates on Donkey Kong Country Returns and adds so much in terms of new abilities and level designs and the boss fights are a lot of fun. Did I miss anything? Well if I did count on it being amazing in this game. It's currently the best game on the Wii U. If you own a Wii U you need to own this game. Expand
  64. Feb 24, 2014
    If I were to tell you this game was amazing in all faults then I would be a complete sell out to my ideals, and love to Nintendo.

I'm writing this to point out that even in passing generations, we aren't all perfect and we need to look at this from a wider angle. There are some very jarring discrepancies from what is expected from the WII U and interaction with the gamepad. There is an
    inconsistency with the menu feel, and that should be bottoms up the core of the gamepad. No matter what, that is what makes it easy to navigate through. You take that away and you render it a confused controller.

You don't need to be innovative to approach it as a navigation tool, allowing you to integrate other aspects of the game if wanted. Fear of not standing out and not using the main tools of marketship, you are going to lose momentum in the long run. This is why WII U is next gen.

This game does though have the core concept of a good video game down, and you have made forefathers proud by convincing that you don't need a good hard drive to pull off great hand detail. In the scheme of arch in production value, the hand defeats the tool. Thank you for making this a great amazing visual of a game and it is AMAZING!!!!

Deserved it should be passed around as a fun game with faults. The music in concrete feels lazy at times, and all that jazz, sometimes doesn't tell a story pertaining to the visual. I'm a driven believer that when integrating both in harmony of motion the sublime of the mind will register it into the subconscious cortex a little faster.

Here's to you, the not so perfect, but yet a great ode to the past, and what we should be expected. Let's not let their heads get full. I give this an 8.0 with grateful selloutness.
  65. Mar 22, 2014
    I just dont give a 10 for the game, as a incentive for improvements because of some lack of support of game features that this game still dont have. But it's not a fail of DK franchise, but from Nintendo itself.

The graphics? Awesome. The soundtrack? Amazing! The gameplay? Perfect! All that you should be waiting about this game is simple perfect. Nothing to discuss.

The innovation
    that comes with the game is a kind of new engine/concept of 2d platform like game. You're not more enclosed inside a simple scrolling. Now the camera works from so many different ways as you go playing that it's like watching a movie.

Talking about movies... the game have a huge amount of content. In fact, each course that you plays, yes I'm not exagerating, is like an entire new game. The only thing that persists is the gameplay itself, all the rest is new. Just like that. You'll see new kinds of objects, new backgrounds, new animations, etc. It's incredible how the development team could work all of this and still with a good quality.

And now the cons:

-Lack of online features.

I think that all the game industry already knows it... but Nintendo. Online interactions is not the future... it's the present! And Nintendo yet live in the past when it comes to this. I think that almost everybody would love the idea of playing a Mario or DK game with a online friend or even with a random player from the world.

And it's not just about the main game itself. DK have some kind of collectible toys. A really interesting and great idea.... so subutilized... A simple online interaction to trade it would be amazing!

-Loading Screens

Some people already comment that the loading screens have a small delay... in fact, lots of games dont use loading screens anymore. The concept of have the processor with the objective of carrying small amounts of data per time, while you're still playing works better in lots of situations. Anyway it's not a big concern at all... After the loading screen, the game simple runs perfect, without any graphics problems.
  66. Mar 27, 2014
    This game is very enjoyable! The levels all feel new and fresh, and they are also very long too! The HD in this game is spectacular, it has some of the best graphics on any system EVER! If you have a Wii U and are ready for a challenge, this game is for you!
  67. Apr 20, 2014
    Wow this is really underrated. Poor sales and low ratings should not deceive you. This game is at least a 9.3! Can't give it that but can't say it's perfect either, so had to go with a 9. This has wonderful music, great graphics, awesome gameplay. Only complaint is how easy it is. Compared to other DKC games this is a Tropical Breeze. See what I did there lol.
  68. May 8, 2014
    Let's get this out of the way immediately: If you enjoy platformers, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a worthy addition to your videogame library. I recommend you place it high on the list of the games you want to purchase, especially if you currently own a WiiU. What's more, if you haven't played Donkey Kong Country Returns, you can purchase that game afterwards and play it on the same system. Here's what helps give this game high marks:

1) Level design: The levels are spread out across 6 different islands. Every Island has a theme / setting that inspires the levels within. Every island has recurring challenges that you learn to maneuver as you progress. This is offset by including new types of hurdles and obstacles that you won't find in any other level or island. So, even as your skill level increases, there is constantly a new mechanic to get a hold of that keeps the game fresh.

2) Music: The game's musical score is fantastic. It's in the spirit of the original Donkey Kong games with lots of percussions, and flutes. As you progress through a level, the music will too, gaining in intensity to match what is going on onscreen. The music alone will motivate you to get past difficult obstacles just to hear it evolve.

3) The Kong family: What's great about this mechanic is that each of the three Kongs wil give Donkey Kong an additional ability that makes the obstacles in a level easier to master. There is also a meter that fills with every bananna picked up and every enemy stomped on that, when full, allows you to unleash a super power that transforms onscreen enemies into items. From a heart surplus to coins to extra lives. For extreme difficulty, take the levels on solo.

4) Gameplay: Tropical Freeze adds swimming to the mix, which increases Donkey Kong's move set. You can roll, jump, smash the ground, swim, water spin, grab onto vines and cling to certain surfaces. Most, if not all of these moves are augmented when partnered with a Kong family member that sits perched atop Donkey Kong's back. Mastering these skills is a lot of fun when trying to complete levels. What makes the levels stand out especially, and adds replayability to the game, are the hidden Puzzle pieces and K-O-N-G letters in every level. Finding them opens up bonus levels on every island, as well as gives access to a 'temple' level once every puzzle piece is found. The difficulty of these temples is quite high, as they'll have unique obstacles to master. Also, every level completed has a time trial challenge that opens up for you to try.

5) Graphics: The artistic design is top notch. The world is colorful, and lively. Levels are stuffed full of détails that you won't even notice unless you stop and take a look once in a while. Grass swings in the breeze, water ripples nicely when you dive in, enemies animate really well, The kongs have better fur effects than the previous game, and all of it is rendered in 1080p at 60 frames per second. It's a visual treat.

Overall: Tropical Freeze will make you a better platformer. It engages all of your senses, besides smell, beautifully. It's extremely challenging, but fair, and the high difficulty is offset by items you can use within the game, as well as the various checkpoints found throughout the levels. It's a rewarding game that you'll want to play through at least once a year. Go and buy it, you won't be disappointed.
  69. May 26, 2014
    Some of my favorite childhood memories were from playing the old donkey kong country games at my babysitters house. It was amazing and when I saw the trailer for this, I was pretty hyped.

I never played returns so I will not be mentioning it at all in this review. Anyways the game is simply fantastic. Let me start the review by talking about the soundtrack and... HALLELUJAH IT'S
    AMAZING. I love the atmospheric songs david wise conducts and each song fits perfectly with mostly all the levels. This has to be one of the finest soundtracks for a video game ever made.

Controlling Donkey Kong and the gang felt really great. The controls are pretty simple while feeling unique from other platformers. From every roll to jump, it was your fault if you goofed up in a level. The smooth controls allowed the very hard sections to be fair and fun.

The graphics are pretty good but I think they could be a tad better in some levels. The Wii U should be capable of running the game at a higher quality but this is not an issue at all and just a nitpick. No points reduced here.

Now I will end the main review off by talking about the level design and the overall gameplay. I could tell that the developers put a lot of time into making the levels creative and unique from each other. I only hated one level out of every single level in the game! The only time I hated some other levels was due to them being hard at first which is not a bad thing at all. Beating a difficult level without getting hit felt great and rewarding. Then I grew to love them.

Sure this game is not worthy of picking up the console alone but with the combination of super mario 3d world and mario kart 8 and super smash bros coming up in the future, it's certainly worth your time and money. Check this game out. You may just fall in love with it.

70. Jun 1, 2014
    Really fabulous game, very challenging. Amazing graphics, soundtrack is gorgeous! Game play is literally outstanding, I can't get enough of this game... not sure why so many people are hating on it - perhaps it's too hard for them :P haha.
  71. Jun 19, 2014
    This was my first Donkey Kong Country game and I was hooked instantly. Beautiful, well crafted levels and bosses set to fantastic music. Nintendo may be struggling with the Wii U but their games themselves are as creative and fun as ever.
  72. Jun 25, 2014
    Very fun game but more for adults due to difficult stages. We got it for the kids but i ended up playing it the most, the kids found it a bit hard due to some of the more challenging rail stages that require almost perfect timing and in rapid succession. More suited for teenagers and older
  73. Jul 14, 2014
    Donkey Kong Country is a classic. Also Tropical Freeze is able to win a retro-gamer 's heart particularly with a innovative level design and a perfect difficulty. This game is my recommendation for all Jump N Run fans who wants a challenge at its finest.
  74. Aug 4, 2014
    This game just wasn't enjoyable to me. I didn't find it fun after the first few levels. Overcoming challenges was unsatisfying. Maybe you just have to play with another person?
  75. Aug 16, 2014
    Tropical Freeze is the true sequel to the original DKC games. The levels are very creative, the graphics are very crisp, and the bosses are perhaps the greatest bosses in any 2-d platformer EVER. The game also has some different levels, such as minecart, boat, barrel blasting, and swimming levels. Even though it's a 2-d game, some of the scenery is 3-d. You can even interact with the background in some levels. My only complaint about this game is that it's VERY VERY HARD. But it's more than worth it for this great game. Expand
  76. Aug 24, 2014
    The story and graphics were cool, but I only got through 2 levels and then it started to get boring. The levels just weren't that fun for me. But that's just what I think.
  77. Sep 13, 2014
    This was the game I was most excited for at E3 2013. I waited anxiously for this to come out, and after two delays, I finally got it, and the wait was totally worth it. This game is just perfect. Fun and challenging gameplay, memorable music, (David Wise is back!) Gorgeous HD visuals, tons of replay value, this game has it all! Even when i saw almost all the levels on the internet, I was still having fun every second I played. The story is genius, it's about DK and his friends getting kicked out of their island, and these arctic animals named the Snowmads take over their whole island and freeze it. That means there is new locations! Unlike the New Super Mario Bros series... The only two problems I have with this game is that the loading screens are a little longer than Returns, and there's no gamepad function, you can't even touch the gamepad screen to select anything. But overall, I had a blast playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and as a huge Donkey Kong fan, that makes me happy. If you have a Wii U, this game is a must-have on your collection! Expand
  78. Sep 16, 2014
    If you felt New Super Mario Bros. U was too easy, this game is a must own. Everything from the level design, bosses and soundtrack are expertly crafted. Especially the soundtrack! David Wise (who also composed the music for the DKC games on SNES) has crafted an amazing soundtrack for the game. He still hasn't lost his touch.
  79. Mar 21, 2014

1. May 11, 2014
    The next generation of Donkey Kong is a solid platformer for the veterans. The difficulty level is straight from the nineties and the game doesn't give any slack. It's an thrilling adventure that frustrates at times, but on the other hand, it gives you a true sense of achievement. With these kind of games Nintendo will survive, no matter what the analysts say. [March 2014]
  2. Apr 9, 2014
    I hate Tropical Freeze, but I hate it for the right reasons. It's an invigorating hate: I really badly want to beat this game. And when I do, it will be oh so worth it. [May 2014, p.68]
    Still very hard, still very enjoyable. A no-brainer for all the fans of the series but also for anyone with a Wii U. [Issue #239]