9.1

1. May 30, 2014
    Simply fantastic! Ladies and gentlemen, GO BUY A WII U FOR THIS GAME. Highly recommended for a fun gaming experience. Nothing on PS4 or XB1 comes close. 10/10
  2. May 30, 2014
    Fantastic game with an abundance of gorgeous looking courses and awesome music, this game will being you hundreds of hours of fun whether you are playing alone or with friends...the ONLY complaint I have is that the Battle Mode tracks could use some tweaking... All in all a fantastic experience
  3. May 30, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 doesn't really add much either than some new characters and useful new items(finally can block the flying blue shell!). But it holds on to what makes every Mario Kart game so great: Rock Solid gameplay, well designed tracks and lots of charm.
  4. May 30, 2014
    Everything I could have hoped for in a new Mario Kart game. Fantastic HD graphics, tons of levels, characters, and custom karts... and online play! I've had a hard time finding a flaw with this game.
  5. May 30, 2014
    Absolute amazing, fantastic, gorgerous, great, incredible,
    THIS IS THE REAL NEX GEN GAME a TRILE AAA+ Game, MK8 is not a simple MK game is a complete gaming experience ONLINE, SINGLE PLAYER
  6. May 30, 2014
    This is the best next-gen game I have played to date. This is also my favorite Mario kart as well. Everything about it is perfect its amazing. Also I was able to get pikmin 3 for free with the promotion and because I downloaded both of these titles I got 10 dollars in eshop credit thanks to the deluxe digital promotion. On top of all that I also used the club Nintendo coins I got from these games to download Super Metroid for free which also adds to my deluxe digital promotion points. Nintendo is the best gaming company. Expand
  7. May 30, 2014
    I bought a Wii U for this game. It's a nice change from the AAA games that I play on my PC and PS4. Nintendo definitely knows how to make a game FUN. I highly recommend this game to anyone.
  8. May 30, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is a beautiful game! All the tracks are well designed, look great and the game has an amazing sound track! Certainly better than Watch Dogs! A MUST HAVE for any Wii U owner and a good start for someone who doesn't own a Wii U yet! 720 or 1080; this game looks amazing!!! But like I said, pick up a Wii U if you haven't already! Especially with the Mario Kart Wii U bundle! The best part of it all...A FREE GAME! You get a download code for one of 4 games in the US and one of 10 games in the UK if you pick up Mario Kart 8! 10/10 Expand
  9. May 30, 2014
    Game is amazing. Can't say anything else really. The game plays like a dream, graphics and textures are gorgeous all at 60 fps. Watch Dogs on the PS4 is on the back burner tonight.
  10. May 30, 2014
    Another Nintendo masterpiece. .
  11. May 30, 2014
    This is the real Next-Gen game that you've been waiting for. Mario Kart 8 is simply amazing and will keep you in the front of your TV for hours and hours playing because you won't get bored of it.
  12. May 30, 2014
    Great soundtrack, great level design, improved gameplay mechanics, no rubberbanding, smart AI, beautiful and detailed and colorful visuals, improved online mode, buttery smooth frame rate, new items, cart creator improved, bikes and carts balanced, skill based gameplay, fun gameplay, best Mario Kart ever made.
  13. Jun 2, 2014
    Most reviews fail to point out any of MK8's flaws. I shall attempt to do so. Nevertheless, I bought the Wii U specifically for this game and I am glad I did. It is a masterpiece, but it is not perfect.

Everything is great, except for:

- Ability to hold a weapon in reserve: Now you can only hold one item at a time. You cannot hold, for example, a banana behind you for defence whilst
    hitting an item box to get something else in reserve. This feature was removed unnecessarily. Now, if you are in 1st, you simply hold on to whatever defensive item you get, rather than attempting to sabotage 2nd place (in fear that you may get a coin). This makes the game significantly less tactical.

- No on-screen map: whilst there is a map on the game pad, it is not as practical as having one at a glance on the television screen. It also makes playing with a Pro Controller more difficult. Checking whether and who is fast approaching is now not as easy unless you pause the game, lift the pad up and try to retain concentration or use the rear view mirror, which may only give you a brief snapshot of what is going on behind. This pales in usefulness to a full map which shows you the precise location of everyone (including those ahead) in an instant.

- No quick way to compare vehicles and parts: There should be a compare button that allows you to select one vehicle/part and track the bars of others against it. The only practical way to compare is looking up an online table.

- Online track voting: no longer can you select any of the tracks. You are given a selection of four tracks, or can simply opt for any random course. This is a step backwards.

- Awful battle mode: I am alarmed at how bad this is. There are no arenas - you just race around (a select few of) the normal tracks firing at each other. This is so bad that it makes you wonder whether the game was rushed.

- No horizontal two-player split screen: the only available mode is vertical. This makes it very difficult to see around sharp corners in advance, and caters for the few times that the camera deviates slightly on the diagonal. Give players the option at least.

- Character selection: too many babies and repeats. You can play as three types of Mario and Peach. The Koopalings are a nice addition but at the expense of great characters like Diddy Kong. Why is "Pink Gold Peach" more iconic than Diddy, Dixie or King Boo?

- "View replay" is default selection after race: by default, "next race" should be selected, not view replay. This gets frustrating when you just want to get to the next race but through 20 years of habit press A only to be presented with the replay screen.

- AI: unfortunately the AI seems to cheat quite a lot. Thankfully, now that online is the centrepiece, this does not matter so much. You can really tell the difference in challenge when you play against the AI and then online. The AI has faultless accuracy for items like green shells and the boomerang, and seems to get the perfect item to ruin your race at just the right time. Expect bloopers on the last section of Grumble Volcano and blue shells in the last 20 seconds of a race when you are winning (this usually happens at least once every grand prix).

- Weapon distribution: Weapons from 1st to 6th place are invariably on the weak side. Mushrooms, coins and single bananas/shells are very common. Things only get interesting in the lower half of the pack, unless you race on frantic mode. In past MK games, 3rd place and below usually netted you something more powerful, such as triple red shells. However, even at the back of the pack, it is still entirely possible to get weak items, whilst those in the middle get high powered ones. This is very bizarre.

-Effect of coins: I think the return of coins is a great idea, but they are so important that driving skill is less important than whether you have 10 coins or not. The problem is that when you get hit or fall off, you lose three coins. This means that people in the middle of the pack are less likely to ever catch up with first place because they are constantly battling it out between each other and slowing each other down. In my experience, most races have one person far out in front and an explosive pack of people in 3rd - 10th that is anyone's game.

- Retro track selection. Personally I think there are too many tracks from the handheld games, although all of them are done well. However, I think Toad's Turnpike should NOT have included anti gravity elements, because this means that the main focus of the track - bustling amongst the traffic - is lost.

This may seem like a lot of criticism, but overall it still means that MK8 is a great game. All the tracks are enjoyable to play (although I don't think any of them are spectacular), the music is great and the racing itself is very smooth. The way the blue shell works (back to N64 days) is very welcome. No doubt I will be playing it for many years to come, hopefully with patches.
  14. May 30, 2014
    I can not believe how much fun this game is!!! If they bring out a dlc with arenas, I'll give it an 11!!! :-) gotta go racing again!! Woohoooo!!!!!!! :-)
  15. May 30, 2014
    One of the most fun games I've ever played! -Very interesting and unique tracks; lots of them too. -Online play and Split Screen(2 player) + Online Play. -Split screen up to 4 players. -Ability to upload highlight videos to youtube and the miiverse. -Runs super super smooth and looks amazing too. -Perfect sense of speed combined with crazy items and abilities. -Drive up walls, in tunnels, under water, etc... Expand
  16. May 31, 2014
    The insanely high standards established by Nintendo games have been lifted even higher. The game is simply FLAWLESS. Brings back the feeling of being able to enjoy a freshly released game straight from the box. Perfect. Handles great, offers a load of swearing-inducing challenge, and FINALLY you can fend off the effing blue shell. Absolutely lovely. God I love it.
  17. May 30, 2014
    I have to say, I almost lost faith in Nintendo. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was good, but didn't make me feel that childhood wonder like the past Nintendo games have. I haven't felt this good about a Nintendo game since Super Mario Galaxy 2. This is, especially for a Nintendo fan, a MUST BUY. The gameplay is super fun, the graphics are phenomenal, the music is very catchy, and there is a lot to do. I've only played single-player so far, but I'm very much looking forward to couch and online multiplayer! Expand
  18. May 30, 2014
    Simplesmente Genial!!! Superou todas as minhas expectativas. Uma verdadeira obra prima da nova geração. O gameplay, os gráficos, as pistas, os personagens, modalidades online, tudo foi aprimorado pra uma das melhores experiencias de jogos de corrida que já tive.
    Totalmente recomendado! 10/10
  19. May 31, 2014
    Balanced, competitive, inspired visual and audio design, this is the genre defining kart racing game. This is reason enough to own wii u. Will be my go to game for a long time.
  20. Jun 2, 2014
    The perfect kart racing game. Smooth and beautiful animation, nice online multiplayer and choice of controls, cheerful music, no doubt one of the most joyful game on the Wii U thus far.
  21. May 31, 2014
    Highly recommend this gorgeous super duper fun game. I want to have children some day, just so we can play this wonderful game together! Nintendo magic.
  22. May 31, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 brings gorgeous visuals at smooth 60 fps, and mix the bikes from MK Wii with the parts and customization from MK 7, along with the new gravity system. There's more than enough new stuff here, but what matters is that the game is wonderful as ever on its design. If you don't have a Wii U and care about fun and challenge, it's time to buy one.
  23. May 30, 2014
    Gorgeous! It's like Mario Kart in heaven. I can feeeeel the 60 fps. If you were on the fence about getting a Wii U, please do yourself the favor and pick one up!
  24. May 30, 2014
    This game does so many things righ, I'm barely scratching it but the excitement is 10/10. Pack yourself a group to play online and locally. The bundle is totally worthy if you don't have a Wii-U yet.
  25. May 31, 2014
    Could have been better. They recycled the exact same elements from Mario Kart 7, 6, 5 and the ones before that. It's pretty much the exact same game with better graphics. I mean, I could understand that all Mario Karts were the same before because they were running on weak consoles that could not handle HD, but now, this console finally as the HD capability and can handle complex processes that could have made the game incredible (such as the Twinkle-Vane process; makes games, especially RACING games, incredible and could only be handled by the Cell Processor and above). So yes, thanks Nintendo. Not just for giving me the same Mario Kart game every 2 years (is this CoD? same game every year), but for giving me REALLY high hopes. I am a die-hard Nintendo fan. I am ReflexionIntelectual and in my channel, already said this game disappointed me, but it's a lot more beautiful to express feelings with written words. Thank you for reading this and see ya next time!
    PS: It's funny how Nintendo fanboys are comparing this game and Watch Dogs. It's alright that you're a Nintendo fan (like me), but saying this is better than Watch Dogs? They're not even in the same genre and are COMPLETELY different games.
  26. May 30, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is a great addition to the Mario Kart series. With it comes 16 completely new maps, and another 16 highly renovated retro maps. With the option to either race 50cc, 100cc or 150cc against the AI, or play co-op with friends, or online, there's something for everyone. Every map has it's own theme, both in aesthetics and music.

The only part of the game that I'm disappointed
    with is the Battle-mode. It unfortunately uses the same maps that you race on, and Nintendo even misses its chance to make a "Battle-Dome" where you can drive up the wall, upside-down on the roof and etc. Vehicles in Battle-mode are also very slow, and are lacking any options to change this.

All in all though, this is a great game, and it might end up being one of my favourite games of this generation.
  27. May 30, 2014
    Non posso non dare un 10 secco. Il gioco è graficamente delizioso, divertente in single player (le gare 50 cc sono molto facili, ma poi nelle 100 cc e 150 cc la sfida c'è eccome) e divertentissimo online, dove è praticamente infinito! Le gare online sono serratissime e avvincenti, non vi è alcun lag, la grafica non ha nessun downgrade. Vale anche da solo l'acquisto della console e, con la promozione del gioco in omaggio, Nintendo ha fatto una grande mossa commerciale e va elogiata e premiata.

Finalmente WiiU inizia a fare sul serio!

I voti negativi sono quelli dei poveri hater sfigati, che non vedendo il titolo sulla loro console, vengono a dare un voto negativo...essi non sono veri videogiocatori, ma solo dei poveri idioti frustrati.
  28. May 30, 2014
    the game is beautiful it may not have the most high tech graphics like the Xbox one or the ps4 but it does beat it in one department and That the fun factor. you'll have more fun playing Mario Kart 8 than you will playing watchdogs. if you don't have a Wii U sell your ps4 after all isn't fun what games are all about?
  29. May 30, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is the most FUN I've had in a video game for quite a while. Gameplay is classic Mario Kart, but with a couple new items and elements that always keeps things interesting and on your toes. The level designs are almost awe-inspiring on a visual level and a whole lotta fun. If there is ANYTHING keeping me from giving this a perfect 10, it'd be the fact that the current character roster is saturated with Baby versions of characters already there. It make the selection of characters feel...lacking, and not really diverse. But that's a nitpicky issue, as they are all balanced better than ever before. For those on the fence for buying a Wii U, this is absolutely worth the ticket price. The engine is efficient (60 FPS for 1-2 players local and single-player) and looks as good, if not better than, most next-gen games currently available. It's also more fun than ANY Xbox One or PS4 game out now, and the best part is it'll keep on giving for years to come, especially with the strong possibility of DLC in the coming future.

9.5/10
  30. May 31, 2014
    Having read some of the reviews, I can't understand why people rate this game so high. Of course everyone has their own opinion, but I'm not that fond of it. Let's start with the good stuff. The game looks gorgeous. That, coming from someone who doesn't care about the graphics much, that means a lot. The soundtrack is nice too. It is very fitting. What this game is lacking, however, is skill to master it. It is a nice and very fun game for any casual gamer and even my friend who is really bad at games in general, liked it.

But that's just it. It's easy and simple. There isn't much to be good at.

I'm not saying it doesn't take skill at all. It matters where you drive and there are several ways to take shortcuts. There are also several ways to increase speed. However, most tricks, if not all, you'll learn your first day.

The courses have gotten somewhat easier, the AI worse and items aren't as devastating as they used to be (which is a good thing). Having played mainly mario kart double dash, I have to say it has gotten worse instead of better. In double dash, you had to push enemies around and picking characters actually mattered. Each character had their own unique item, and that was certainly a very strong point.

In mario kart 8, the characters don't matter besides the 3 (6) weight categories. They simply look different. There is a whole lot of characters to unlock and if they would have been different from one another, it certainly would have added more depth to the game. Sure, it's nice to play with your favorite character, but for someone who's less interested in the lay out and cares more about the gameplay, it isn't really worth unlocking them.

A nice addition to the game is the option to build your own carts/bikes. Each part has their own stats, which is nice, but to me, the stats don't seem to matter much. Different bikes/cars don't require a unique way of driving, besides the difference between bikes and cars. The parts also often have the same stats, making it also visuals, pretty much.

Cool about this game is that it has zero gravity. You can drive upside down and on the walls. I also like the flying parts. However, because of the way the camera always follows the car, you can't really see the difference between being upside down or not. The flying parts are cool, but what would have been really nice is if it was optional. Being able to turn your car into a kite at all times. It would allow all sorts of techniques to get past obstacles and would add much more depth.

Something else I don't really like about this game is the lack of options. There is no option screen whatsoever. No way to turn down the music or change the controls. Also, using any controller other than the gamepad is somewhat buggy. Whenever you lay down your controller for a while, you can't pick it up and keep on playing. Instead, it suddenly goes to the gamepad, forcing to use that instead.

The game is also rather short, because it's so easy. At 150 CC you finally get the feeling you have to do something, so you can finish the game the first day. Luckily you can play online, so the game becomes both more challenging and it extends the duration. It's just not something I enjoy, because it doesn't take much skill but a whole lot of luck.

Overall:
    It's a very fun game. It's casual and relaxing and lots of fun with friends. But casual it is. It is in no way competitive. The game doesn't take much skill to master, but it is very dependent on items, meaning it is a very luck based game. In competitions, you try to avoid luck based factors as much as possible and in this game it can't be avoided, especially because the game doesn't have much else to offer.

The graphics are great and the music is good too. The game plays like a charm and everyone can jump right in, without needing a lot of practise. You can play with all controllers (from gamepad to nunchuks), so everyone can use whatever they want.

Overall I give this game a 6.5
  31. May 30, 2014
    Phenomenal. Absolutely spectacular game. Exactly what I was hoping for from the 8th installment of the Mario Kart series. I was able to play through half the courses in one sitting, and the rest in another and ended very content with the results. The game looked amazing, ran like a joy, and had a great soundtrack (heavily influenced by the trumpet). I've yet to do too much focus on the multi-player as I am currently enjoying single player. Now as amazing as this game is, I do have merely 3 complaints as no game is truly perfect.

A. The zero-gravity/hover mode was visually impressive, but did not effect the aesthetics of the racing. You are still racing on a standard curvy track it just looks fancy. On that note the retro tracks could use a bit more zero-gravity.

B. Battle mode. If you've played this game, the title explains itself. They done-goofed the battle mode. The courses are no longer fun and interesting square arenas, but are portions of the courses itself. Completely shattered my nostalgia from battle mode.

C. Why all the mini bowser/bowser relatives? I don't have the character list in-front of me, but there are I want to say 6-7 bowser relative characters from the New Super Mario Bros series. These seem like wasted space as they easily could've included more characters from series' such as Super Mario Galaxy/Sunshine.

That's it for the negative. Those are really minor complaints in the grand scheme of things as overall, this is the most I've enjoyed myself in a video game in quite some time. I can't help but smile and let the nostalgia overflow me as I play this nearly perfect installation in one of my all-time favorite series'.
  32. Jun 13, 2014
    Where's the 8-Player LAN party? Double-Dash was the peak of Mario Kart greatness, because it allowed friends to all come together at one location, hook up 2 GameCubes with a TV each, and have loads of fun for hours on end.... The Mario Kart on Wii lost the most attractive feature, and playing by myself got boring real fast... When I heard Mario Kart on Wii U also didn't have this feature, I decided to boycott the game. How can technology be advancing, yet simple networking features be stripped? No thanks to Mario Kart 8... a game that's meant to be enjoyed with friends is not fun playing by yourself on the couch. I'm not saying internet multiplayer shouldn't be there... I'm just saying a LAN option should be included. Is it really that hard to do? Expand
  33. May 30, 2014
    It's exactly what you'd expect from a Mario Kart game, and more. New courses, new characters, some new items and improved online. The replay system is a great addition too. Don't expect the game to change gaming forever, but you simply can't not have fun playing this game.
  34. May 30, 2014
    It's always a god feeling when a console gets a timeless classic of a game like Mario Kart 8 is. This game adds to an already great, underrated lineup of games for the Wii U. The first thing I noticed when I threw the game in was the graphics. Finally, an HD version of a Mario Kart series that easily gets a spot in my top 10 all time greatest game series. The courses are beautiful and you find yourself admiring just how good everything looks mid-race. The critics definitely nailed the key point here, the fact that you're getting everything you loved from past games in the series while giving you more features like customization and a couple new power ups. This is the first in the series where, in my observation, can be master of the controls in the former Mario Karts but will have a bit of a learning curve with this installment. You have to be a bit more careful on the turns when first starting up, but if you recently polished your skills with one of the older Mario Karts, you'll catch on by your 2nd or 3rd cup qualifier. All in all just an amazing racing game and a title worthy of donning the Mario Kart name. Expand
  35. May 30, 2014
    I could write this review using a single word.

Fantastic.

But it wouldn't be enough. It wouldn't describe the colossal amount of effort Nintendo has gone to to make Mario Kart 8 the prettiest game on Wii U, even prettier than Super Mario 3D World, the prior graphical showcase Wii U owners like me would use to show off what the console could really do if people just tried. From the
    character models to the fact that this game runs in 60 frames per second, even in split screen two player, Mario Kart 8 is now the go-to-game to show people that Wii U can rival even the PS4 when it comes to graphical prowess. The fact that this came out the same week as Watch Dogs, which looks last gen even on the PS4, makes this all the sweeter.

It wouldn't be enough to tell you about the little graphical flourishes Nintendo have sprinkled throughout the world, so little that you don’t really notice them but they help bring the world to life. Things like Donkey Kong’s fur or Mario’s mustache rustling in the wind as their kart zooms around the track. The little background animations that don’t need to be there but are. The word “fantastic” would encompass these things, surely, but wouldn't tell you how impressive it is in its subtlety.

It wouldn't let you know that the racing controls in this game are spot-freaking-on, just as they have been in every Mario Kart since the halcyon days of the N64.

“Fantastic” wouldn’t explain how great the music is, from the synthesized beats of the Electrodome to the orchestral music of Cloudtop Cruise.

Nor would it be enough to tell you how easy the online matchmaking is, putting more “adult” games like Titanfall to shame. Or how well online multiplayer runs. Or just how fun it is.

Fantastic wouldn’t tell you where Mario Kart 8 stumbles, either. The most obvious stumble is Battle Mode, a multiplayer favorite since the original Mario Kart came out on the SNES. Whereas previous iterations of Battle Mode had custom built arenas, here Battle Mode is reduced to reconfigured versions of the Grand Prix mode tracks. It’s such an obvious fumble that you wonder why Nintendo even bothered to include Battle Mode if they were going to half-arse it like this.

There’s also the use of the Gamepad; in the sense that apart from being a horn or being the usual avenue for off-TV play, it’s not really utilised as well as it could be. How about a reverse camera option, so you can always see what’s happening behind you? What about a local 2 player mode that allows one player to play on the TV and the other on the Gamepad? Great ideas that aren’t there for some reason.

Mario Kart 8 may also prove the adage that you can have too much of a good thing. Some criticized Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS of having too few characters, but here there may be too many. Choice is always nice, but the fact that there are five different baby characters, and six of the Koopalings, makes the character choice seem a bit superfluous. There are differences between all the characters, of course, but when the differences are so subtle because of the large variety of characters to chose from, you end up wishing for less.

There’s the consistent problem of the enemy AI being all knowing. I’ve always seen single player Mario Kart as Me vs. 8+ computer characters working as one. This problem becomes all the more obvious when you start making it to the front of the pack. For example, Mario Kart veterans know that the only time you get items like the Blue Shell, or the Lightning Bolt, are when you’re at the back of the pack. When you’re all the way back there, you can’t really know what’s going on in first. So it’s insane that when you’re leading the race, and about to jump over a precarious jump, that a Lightning Bolt hits you at just the right time to see you spin out and fall to your doom. There’s no other word for that than unfair; fantastic is definitely not apropos.

A minor niggle I have… and it’s really minor… is the fact that the default menu choice following a race is the Replay button. If you’re anything like me, you’re constantly hitting A trying to speed up your progression to the next race. Mario Kart 8 looks set to break me of that habit, since starting a replay of the race just ends up slowing me down. The replay feature is a nice feature, don’t get me wrong; the ability to edit and share videos on Youtube and Miiverse is especially cool. But it’s not the main game.

Overall, Mario Kart 8 is fantastic. Just fantastic. It’s pure fun. The new anti-grav feature is arguably a gimmick, but when it bends your mind (and the course) it’s just, well, fantastic fun. Mario Kart 8 stumbles in a few places, but the overall package is one of quality and substance. It’s a game all Wii U owners should be buying right now, and it’s a game that should make non-Wii U owners rush out and buy the console right now.

Fantastic. Get it now.

Read my review here: http://intelligentgamer.org/2014/05/31/review-mario-kart-8/
  36. May 30, 2014
    Tremendous level design and the soundtrack really does lift the MK8 experience. Game play is solid and playing online is a blast. Shame the courses feel too short, as everything looks GORGEOUS in HD, and this just leaves me wanting more. If the character roster had variation other than babies, metals and koopa kids would be a 10.
  37. May 30, 2014
    There is a fine balance between innovation and perfecting systems that already work. Nintendo has mastered this balance in Mario Kart 8. For the first time, Nintendo has made a Mario Kart eloquently achieves both increasing the level of skill required while simultaneously making the game visually stunning and enjoyable to play for fun. I give Mario Kart 8 a 9.9/10 because no Game is perfect.... except portal Expand
  38. May 30, 2014
    There is just so much love in the making of this game. You can simply feel it in almost every track (except maybe one or two). It gets better and better as you play it, and four way split screen has never been this good. Unlike old kart games you can actually know exactly what is going on.
    Not a 10 because they did not add special arenas. They used to serve as a good distraction after
    hours of racing with friends... Need to make it an update and not a DLC. Expand
  39. May 31, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is my favorite game in the franchise. This game is an absolute blast at every turn. The 16 new courses are gorgeous, and the 16 remastered courses are all changed enough to make it feel like a brand new experience, with just the right amount of nostalgia. Online play so far has been working flawlessly, and new games start in less than a minute.

My only gripes is the
    character roster and the battle mode. The roster is filled with babies, koopalings, and metal characters. Which are okay, but when these characters take up the space of fan favorites like Dry Bones, Boo, and Birdo, I start to think that maybe we don't need 5 baby characters. And the battle mode is significantly different, now taking place on actual tracks from the game instead of in a fixed arena. It's difficult to catch people when you either have to tail behind them, or they zip past you going the opposite way.

These issues are easy to look past, as the core gameplay and track design is better than it has ever been. This game is pure unadulterated fun, and is definitely worth your time as a Wii U owner.
  40. May 31, 2014
    If you're looking for a reason to buy a Wii U, then here it is!!! Because this game is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! It has a lot of features from Mario Kart 7, along with new characters, customizations and usuables! The new Rainbow Road looks amazing!!! wooo! Ohh... and many features are on the gamepad istead of being on the bottom right of your screen ^__^
  41. Jun 1, 2014
    Depois de vários anos longe da série em consoles de mesa, Mario Kart 8 me chamou atenção desde sua primeira apresentação. Não tive duvidas e comprei o game em uma oportunidade única alguns dias antes do lançamento e não tenho um ponto negativo ou arrependimento nesse game, simplesmente fenomenal e recomendo a todos que gostavam e ainda gostam de games de kart e também os que gostam de um bom game de corrida.

Com certeza é o melhor do gênero e dificilmente será superado.

42. Jun 1, 2014
    Very few games these days bring out the awe and excitement like Mario Kart 8. This game not only looks gorgeous, but it was designed by a genius. Mario Kart 8 is a must buy, and I have not had this much fun playing games for a very long time. Why are you still reading this? Go play it now!
  43. May 31, 2014
    The best Mario Kart ever made! It has so much more depth than Mario Kart Wii. It is only slightly harder to pick up and play but it is a much much deeper game, it will take time to master all the intricacies in the course, cars, moves and characters to get to acquire top level of driving skill.

Nintendo proves once again they are consistently the best world at making games.
  44. May 30, 2014
    Visually one of the best looking mario game to date. All the courses especially the new ones are absolutely gorgeous. Also the anti-gravity thing in this game is awesome!!! Driving upside down and sideways on some of the courses is a blast!! 9/10!! ALL THE WII U OWNERS OUT THERE!! BUY THIS GAME!!!
  45. May 31, 2014
    I love this game so much, that I made an account just to give this game a 10/10! XD The stellar game design and the amazing art direction is more than enough to warrant a perfect score from me. Well, I do have minor complaints with the game (notably the bizarre roster, the battle mode, and the online infrastructure, etc.), they're truly minuscule in face of the amazing and seemingly endless content that this game provides. It shows that Nintendo still has what it takes to make a game that stands out in such a competitive generation... here's hoping for more Nintendo magic in the future! Expand
  46. May 31, 2014
    Best Mario Kart game yet. Everything has been refined and the new mechanics work really well. The only problem is the character roster is a bit poor but this has a minimal effect on the gameplay.

A must buy if you have a Wii U.
  47. Jun 1, 2014
    The guy from The Toronto Sun must be smoking crack with Rob Ford, because MARIO KART 8 is without a doubt THE best racing game ever on any home console or PC, not to mention the best Mario Kart game. The visuals are jaw dropping, the music is bangin' and the intensity is off the charts! Anyone who rates this game as less then perfect needs to stop gaming, maybe take up crocheting or knitting because possibly this is too complex of a hobby for them. All jokes aside this is a fantastic game absolutely loaded with fine details and crafted by the masters at Nintendo with LOVE...see you online - seantendo001. Expand
  48. Jun 4, 2014
    Simply the best Mario Kart ever. Skill is rewarded but opportunities are still always present, and the best mechanics from throughout the series are brought together.
  49. May 31, 2014
    THIS GAME IS HUGE¡¡ WHERE ARE ALL THESE NINTENDO FANS? WII U NEEDS TO HAVE MORE SALES BECAUSE OF GAMES LIKE THIS , ITS SUPER FUN¡ YOU WONT SEE THIS ON OTHER CONSOLES.
  50. May 31, 2014
    You know that hyperbolic nostalgia that makes you think the first Mario Kart you ever played was the best, even though you have a sneaking suspicion that some of the later ones were probably better? Well, nostalgia be gone! This Mario Kart is destined to be your favorite racer of all time. Every track is gorgeous, the controls are perfect, and the reward system is motivating and fun. It all fun - even the AI's item logarithm feels fair. Three cheers for Mario Kart! Expand
  51. Jun 4, 2014
    People, Mario Kart 8 is finally here and it's the best game I've ever played! The game is so addicting its a good thing it's not Cocaine because I would have Overdosed already. This is one of those games that you'll never get bored with even in 8 years from now, the graphics are truly next Generation graphics that truly make Mario Kart 8 Shine in the Brightest way possible. If you want to have fun for the rest of your life, you have to go out and buy a WII U immediately and get this game! I guess the only down part of this game, is once you get it your life will be over. Expand
  52. May 30, 2014
    Simply amazing. This game is not only beautiful but extremely fun to play. I had a huge smile from ear to ear when I was gliding in the air passing someone in the race. It's everything I was hoping this game to be, it was well worth the wait. This game alone is worth buying the Wii U, if you don't agree with me then the free download you get for buying this game is worth the purchase of the Wii U (New Super Mario Bros, Pikmin 3, Windwaker HD) are games worth owning the system and will not disappoint. Don't listen to the haters my library includes: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Darksiders 2 (amazing!), Batman Akrham City (Amazing, they have Wii U exclusives), Call of Duty Black Ops II, Call of Duty Ghost, Legend of Zelda Windwaker HD, Duck tales, Mass Effect 3 (wii u exclusives), Need for Speed Most Wanted U (Wii U exclusives), Ninja Gaiden 3 (Wii U Exclusives and amazing), nintendoland (awesome), sonic all star racing, tekken tag team tournament (wii u exclusives), Zombi U and Pikmin 3 with my free download :D. Anyone that says that the system doesn't have good titles, deserves to be slapped in the face. Later this year Super Smash Bros, a Monolith Exclusive, Bayonetta 2 (wii U exclusive).. Nintendo fan for life! Expand
  53. May 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Super. Najlepsza gra w jaką ostatnio grałem. Dużo postaci i pojazdów, cudowna oprawa muzyczna ;-) Tz "gameplay i fun" w tej grze to po prostu majstersztyk!!! Trasy wyglądają obłędnie, online do 12 graczy, dzielony ekranik przy 2 playerach,60 Fps, warto dodać, że to pierwsza odsłona serii w HD i naprawdę wygląda cudnie, zresztą plusy tej gry można by jeszcze długo wymieniać. Naprawdę polecam i zachęcam do kupna. Nintendo pokazało magie po raz kolejny. Expand
  54. May 30, 2014
    This game is fantastic. It is fast paced and has really nice graphics. I remember when video games used to be fun. This one doesn't disappoint. I'm so glad I picked it up. Fed up of being disappointed at the so called "NEXT GEN" games recently. For fun factor alone, everybody that calls themselves a gamer should get this. Trust in Nintendo to deliver a game that is actually fun and not trying to scam you for more content at every damn opportunity. You'd be a fool not to get it! Expand
  55. May 31, 2014
    Best Mario Kart ever!!!! Game is nothing but fun. This is the reason that I bought a Wii U! If you have always been a fan this ga!e is for you, If you never played the game, Try it!!!!
  56. Jun 3, 2014
    I'm a bit disappointed by most of the reviews here, especially the 10 point reviews. Many praising for the good old Mario Kart in HD, the sales bringer for the Wii U. As hardcore Nintendo / Mario fan it seems you are not allowed anymore to note something negative, otherwise you might be a hater... But let us face it straight - As Hardcore Mario Kart gamer it's letting me down. Of course the game has many good points and it's still an excellent game, but if you played Double Dash, or the Wii version and you played it really hardcore you will find many difference in the Balancing of the game which will annoy you.

Lets start with the positive:
    -> Best Graphics in a Mario Kart game so far
    -> New Type of Vehicle, Quads
    -> You can build your vehicle as you like (comp. to Wii)
    -> Wonderful track design

Points that are neutral, mostly depends on personal taste:
    -> New Items - There are good and bad additions
    -> Character Selection - Some nice characters have removed, some have been added
    -> Wheelies have been removed (comp. to Wii)
    -> Item rates depending on place have been greatly change, less different items for first places etc.
    -> Redesign of old tracks (+because it's not just a copy, -because they have become less interesting)

Negative things:
    -> You can now only hold 1 items, removes strategy aspect from the game
    -> Tracks are easy to master, it requires not much skill anymore to drive good times
    -> Game became more luck based because of the new balancing

For me the races do not feel that intense anymore as on the Wii, I've the feeling I've less control over what happens with me. It was always the case you could have a good or a bad phase, you could easily drop to the last place or with luck having a comeback and win the race from last place.
    In Mario Kart 8 it seems more usual that you drop a lot places, then gain a lot places again etc. the field is more tight together, but this does not mean it makes more interesting, it makes it just more annoying.

In my opinion the game has become even more casual than it already was, so for people playing from time to time, families and Kids it's great. But for people who also wanted to drive for competition need to look for a new game.

Actually subjective I would give it rather 4-5 Points, but from objective view it's more 7 - 7,5 points.

I as Nintendo fan boy and Mario Lover hope the next game becomes more intense again, but Mario Kart has lost the status for me as 'must buy game'.

- Former Mario Kart Wii player with a 9999 score
  57. Jun 1, 2014
    Thanks for renewing my respect for the video game industry Nintendo. By far, best game of the year for so many reasons and a choice of Pimkin 3, Zelda Windwalker, Mario U or WIIU party - FOR FREE - for registering MK8. Oh Yeah, not available for the "Drop a $1,000 just to play video game" x box 1. oh, but you do get dud of the year titan fall.
  58. Jun 7, 2014
    El mejor Mario kart de la saga. Su modo online es endiabladamente divertido y los circuitos y pilotos lucen fenomenal con la nueva potencia HD de wii u. Pero lo mejor es que los años le sientan genial y sigue siendo igual de divertido o mas...
  59. Jun 7, 2014
    Here's the thing. Nintendo have this gift; a gift of magical prowess. They know how to make games that attract all kinds of people, no matter their personality. It's a gift that is so rare nowadays, yet never goes under-appreciated. Mario Kart 8 is the prime example of this. It delivers with such poise that it makes you wonder if the Wii U was ever on struggle street. Titles like Mario Kart 8 are what bring supposedly doomed consoles back to life. Every game has its issues, and Mario Kart 8 is no exception. But when the magic of Nintendo shines through, there isn't anything that makes you feel let down. For over 30 years, Nintendo have been the kings of game development, and Mario Kart 8 shines brightly with every other classic gem they've ever made. Kudos to you, Nintendo. Pats on back for a job well done. Expand
  60. Jun 1, 2014
    I simply have to give this game a 10/10. It improves upon everything compared to all past Mario Kart entries. It's a superb experience, it's fluid, the controls are very solid and online racing is more fun than it has ever been. Probably the best WiiU game right now, do yourself a favor and get this!
  61. Jun 1, 2014
    This is without a doubt the most fun racing game of all time! Great controls, gorgeous graphics and the best track designs ever in a mariokart game. Only downside is to many baby versions of other characters in the roster.
  62. Jun 3, 2014
    Awesome Game! I could never really get into the Wii Mario Kart because I didn't really like the motion controls, well problem solved. You can play with any controller for the Wii U be in the pro controller, gamepad, gamepad using motion controls, or wiimote(possibly classic controller, but I don't have one to test it out) and the controls are tight. The graphics are easily the best for the Wii U to date, with no lag or stuttering even online is butter smooth and connecting to an online mate is easy and fast. There are tons of unlockables through gameplay where other companies might charge you in app for. If you own a Wii U go get this game, if not go get a Wii U and This game with the price you can find the Wii U at these days it's almost a no brainer and you will not be disappointed. Expand
  63. Jun 3, 2014
    The best game out there for the WiiU. It's hard to get the hang of at first, but the payoff is worth it in the end. The graphics are amazing, the level design is fantastic.

I think the levels are the best part, besides the crisp HD.

If you fall behind, it is extremely difficult to catch up though! I recommend this game to everyone.
  64. May 30, 2014
    The track design in this game is second to none, the virtual scenery is jaw dropping, just beautiful. there are tons of items to use which are well implemented, you can trump the blue shell attack, which thus adds more refinement and balance to the gameplay. the controls are smooth and responsive as they should be, the online is a hoot to play as well. the battle arenas are no longer, nintendo has been lazy in my opinion and just used 8 tracks from the grand prix. you can change your kart as well with different well...karts, wheels, gliders to tweak your stats to your liking. The anti-gravity elements are in my opinion not emphasized enough in gameplay, say when go upside down your camera realigns with the track so it looks like your driving normally so it's more like a underlining concept to keep the series and action ticking. Overall though a stunning game, filled to the brim with pure charm and nostalgic joy. Expand
  65. Jun 1, 2014
    This game takes a huge step forward in its course design and graphics, while lovingly looking back to its roots. It combines everything I've loved about every other Mario Kart, and turns it into a fresh experience. The new tracks are great, and the "highlights" are a nice touch- but the thing that most impresses me about this game are the retro courses. They're far from the standard copy/paste from the past, and each of them have been retrofitted with the new things this game brings, while still maintaining their original feel. Nintendo clearly put a lot of time, effort, and thought into this game, and it deserves every last cent that I've spent on it- and I haven't even STARTED The multiplayer yet! To sum it up, this is a fantastic game- a must have for any Wii U owner, and the closest thing we've had so far to a system seller! Expand
  66. Jun 1, 2014
    Wow, this is the most fun racing game iv'e ever played, its just pure chaotic fun no matter how many players there are. Just go and BUY A WII U FOR THIS GAME!!!! Plus you get a free download game if you register Mariokart before july 31st, that is true value!
  67. Jun 1, 2014
    El MK8 es excelente en todos los sentidos, el primer día lo jugué casi patológicamente al rededor de 14 horas que se fueron volando con los amigos.

Solo tuve un problema de conexión en línea para jugar partidas que ya teniendo acceso a internet son increibles. Relato cómo solucionar el problema por si lo tienen.

Lo que tienes que hacer es meterte a la pág. de tu modem y cambiar la
    configuración del DMZ y a mí me entra ya siempre a internet, si tienes infinitum (México) llámales a los asesores y ellos te van diciendo cómo...
    juego de ★★★★★
  68. Jun 7, 2014
    Fun enjoyable gameplay. This is my favourite Mario Kart yet (previously it was Mario Kart 64). The gameplay is enjoyable alone, but best played with friends or being competitive online. The only flaws are the poor roster (full of babies, metal mario and the aweful pink gold peach) and in battle mode you can only play on race courses rather than courses specifically designed for it like previous installments in the series. This leads to you driving around trying to find someone for the whole match, and when you do it's someone on your team, but you're so happy that you have found someone so you throw an item anyway, but it harms them as items aren't on team. However, battle mode isn't the main feature in Mario Kart, and the roster can be forgiven by the fact you can play as Mii, which have almost endless customization possibilities. I give Mario Kart 8 a 99/100 Expand
  69. Jun 2, 2014
    Tough to say anything wrong with the game, maybe having a way to invite people to you game online, but seriously the only minor complaint I can find. Tracks are amazing, visuals are beautiful, soundtrack is wonderful, and the game is just pure fun and accessible to everyone.
  70. Jun 2, 2014
    I just picked up this game on May 31st. It was the best purchase I have ever made! Mario Kart 8 is by far the greatest in the series, NOT Mario Kart 64... put the torches and pitchforks down. The visuals? Mind-blowing. The gameplay? Fun beyond belief. EVERYTHING? Incredible. I want this game to make the Wii U sell like hot cakes. It seriously deserves all of the love that its getting, and even more than that! Nintendo went all out with this one, and wanted it to be the greatest, and we got what could possibly be the most beautiful game ever created by Nintendo so far. Mission accomplished. :D Expand
  71. May 30, 2014
    Only thing holding me back from giving this fantastic title a 10 is the inability to send online game request to friends. Other than that this is a solid title. The highlight reels are great after a race!
  72. Jun 1, 2014
    It's an honest to God game, and it's incredibly fun to play. It's not riddled with DLC right out of the box, and the online is great, and the AI is fun to race against. It was everything I expected and more.
  73. Jun 1, 2014
    Is the best kart racing game ever made. I wanted all the kids in the world could play it. This game is incredibly fun. If you are a true mario kart fan, this game is like a dream. Highly competitive, best online experience, detailed and colorful visuals, amazing graphics, awesome soundtrack. I loved the balance between old and new ideas. If you never played mario kart before you must buy Mario Kart 8. I really miss the battle arenas, can't wait to see them soon as possible. Expand
  74. Jun 1, 2014
    Uns dos melhores Mario Kart já lançados. O visual HD deixa o jogo impressionante apesar de alguns serrilhados aqui e ali, isso não atrapalha em nada na jogatina. As trilhas sonoras são épicas e o sistema de anti gravidade funciona perfeitamente bem, e os ovos itens e personagens serem bem bolados e criativos. As partidas online são super bem fluidas, sem travamentos, mas você poderá cair da rede online do jogo de vez em quando. Expand
  75. Jun 1, 2014
    I must say that, this game is perfect, I never could imagine that this graphic could be maked, it's more beautifull than even the real life, it's just amazing.

The controls are fine, they are like every Mario Kart game, and men... the items are so much balanced, isn't a item rain like in the DS.

I'm more than right when I give a 10 to this beautifull game... no, it's not only a game,
    it's art. Expand
  76. Jun 2, 2014
    Saying amazing is not enough for this game. It was made by geniuses. The graphics are outstanding, the music is a delight to hear, every detail has been taking care of. As a Mario Kart game is short if you play solo, but youll have a blast ... and the multiplayer ... well hours and hours of fun... if this game can not sell Wii Us nothing can
  77. Jun 2, 2014
    Best gaming experience I've had in a long time. A Nintendo representative said that technical horsepower alone is not enough. Game-play is what's most important. This piece of software is a perfect example how true this statement is. Thank you Nintendo, you guys rock !!!
  78. Jun 2, 2014
    Ótimo jogo, está muito lindo, a jogabilidade está impecável... muito épico, moderno e nostálgico ao mesmo tempo, as fases antigas dos consoles anteriores remasterizadas ficou muito lindas, sem mais o jogo é supremo.
  79. Jun 6, 2014
    An absolutely amazing all around game! Similar to the original we know and love except it greatly changes things up with its level design and gameplay. It really deserves a 10/10
  80. Jun 8, 2014
    In a game series such as Mario Kart, breaking the bar and delivering a truly fantastic addition to the series is far more difficult than one would first think. Mario Kart 8 is overall a great game and is a lot of fun to play, however there are several design choices which I highly disagree with. The most noticeable is, of course, there being no map on your television screen. Looking down to your gamepad for a map is also very detrimental to your race, and having to do so will hinder more than help. This was especially noticeable in battle mode, where a map is more necessary than ever as you try to navigate full-sized tracks in order to find another player.
    Another less noticeable design choice was that after a race in a Grand Prix or Versus race cup, you cannot merely mash the "A" or "2" button to move on to the next course. This is because they placed "View Highlight Reel" above "Next Race" or "View Results" in the menu, which has made me have to view the replays unnecessarily. Especially because, let's be honest here, very few people view replays of their races. This leads on to another complaint I have; it feels as if the development team hasn't tried to refine the game properly, and spent their time on unnecessary features such as Mario Kart TV, which is essentially a primeval version of the "Mario Kart Channel" we saw back in 2007 for Mario Kart Wii. A couple of noticeable cases of not refining the game properly is the lack of a stopwatch, and having the scores added or subtracted to your ratings disappearing after a short amount of time.
    The game is also unfortunately easy. The whole point of Mario Kart is to be hectic, exciting and a fun multi-player experience. This game seems to be more like a generic racing game the likes you would find on other consoles. The Special Cup had me falling off of it a total of 2 times my first time playing this game (which was 150cc) when I truly didn't know the tracks. Both "Rainbow Road" tracks have too many walls for a finale, and other, actually quite hectic tracks such as Cloudtop Cruise or even the very first Mario Kart Stadium are pretty much lined with walls the whole way through. However, one of those examples is from the Mushroom Cup and the other from the Special Cup. This game has no difficulty curve! This is especially apparent when DK Jungle, from Mario Kart 7's Special Cup, appears in the Banana Cup of all things. Arguably the hardest new track in the game, Mount Wario, is in the Star Cup, not the Special... I could go on.
    However, one must give credit where credit is due. It is likely that all of the retro tracks have had to have been made from scratch, as many redesigned parts have been placed in the tracks, along with all textures now being HD. Unfortunately, I prefer the retro tracks to the new tracks almost unanimously, but there are a few new courses which I think are going to be all-time favourites for me, such as Cloud Top Cruise. The Anti-Gravity is an incredibly fun feature, and it seems quite chaotic whilst driving through them in a pack. However, there are times where it seems quite tacked on (such as in Wario Stadium). In a franchise like Mario Kart, you have such high expectations to have to try and live up to it is no wonder this game isn't quite as good as others in the series. However, this is the worst game in the franchise, but it is still quite close.
    However, this doesn't stop it being an incredibly fun game, and while it doesn't appeal to me, I'm sure it appeals to many other players. It looks gorgeous, as has been stated repeatedly over the Internet, but graphics alone don't make a game. Not once have I had a sudden urge to play Mario Kart 8 since buying the game. However, this is because the game doesn't appeal to me because what I see in a Mario Kart game is a short burst of fun-filled adrenaline with items and constant shifting of the places. What I see in Mario Kart 8 is a serious racing game the likes of the Dirt series featured on other consoles.

In short, if you want a serious racing game, I would buy Dirt 3 and an Xbox 360 over the far more expensive Mario Kart 8 and Wii U. If you want a fun and hectic Mario Kart game, a Nintendo GameCube (or Wii!) and Mario Kart: Double Dash!! would be the better option for you, along with Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart Wii in that order. If you already have a Wii U, then Mario Kart 8 is a very worthwhile game to pick up in the shallow game library the system has.
  81. Jun 2, 2014
    Same old same old. Too little has changed since the wii version. The anti-grav/flying parts are lifted straight from Sonic and Sega all stars racing transformed.
  82. Jun 9, 2014
    This is an incredibly fun game don't get me wrong, if you enjoy doing the same thing over and over and over then this is the game for you, it's just it lacks any real content. Sure it has a lot of tracks, but 50% of those tracks are pulled from previous games, some of which are absolutely tedious and make me question who in their right mind decided to bring them back. The variety of characters is very poor, it's mainly an assortment of your usual Mario, Luigi and Peach and then the babified versions of those characters and even metal versions of Mario and Peach. The variety is sorely lacking with the characters, I have no idea why as there's a lot of characters to choose from in the Mario-verse.

My biggest problem with this game comes from the lack of things to do, sure racing is fun for a few hours against the AI, then you realise over a decade later they still haven't fixed the AI to target anyone but you, so that spoils racing against the AI. The multiplayer is fun, sure, when you're not being disconnected from races. Even then it's just a matter of time before this games goes from amazing fun to tedium as you're just playing the same maps with the same vehicle over and over with nothing really changing.

A fun game, but a lacking one.
  83. May 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very addicting! The graphics on a 1080p HDTV is simply amazing! A must have for any Wii U owner, by far the best game for the Wii U yet! I don't want to spoil the game so go out and buy it already! Have fun with your family, friends, or random internet gamers. Expand
  84. May 31, 2014
    I've never had so much intense fun with a racing game in my life! Very easy on the eyes and tantalizing at that. Sound effects are there and the music, but as good as everything is in the game, I think the sound is it's weakest link. No biggie. The new tracks are wonderful and a nice careful selection of remastered tracks. Worth buying a new Wii U for? You bet your last pair of clean socks it is!! Expand
  85. Jun 4, 2014
    This is, without a doubt, the biggest letdown in the Mario Kart series, a middle finger salute to the fans. Mario Kart 8 is a result of taking out everything that makes Mario Kart good, and leaves in the bad. Mario Kart 7 was pretty much the refined Mario Kart of the series, but that doesn't mean there was nothing to improve upon. They could have at least tried to make it on par with 7, but instead it was like they deliberately held back on this one. Were they trying to make sure there was enough to improve upon with Mario Kart 9? Because you don't do that. You don't try and make a sequel less than perfect so you can make the next sequel better. That's just a blatant, lazy excuse for money. To be a little more specific on why this game is bad - remember Mario Kart Wii, with its sloppy controls and rubber band AI? It's back in 8, maybe even worse this time around. How can they take such a step backwards? The stage design is also incredibly flat and uninspired, ironic given the anti-gravity feature, and that in itself is not utilised at all because I barely felt like I was going anit-gravity, and the stages are still flat.

It's very upsetting to see Mario Kart, of all franchises, become a lifeless shell of what it once was. 8 is the unlucky number for Mario spin-off sequels, it seems. This is the Mario Party 8 of the series, proof that people are getting sick of the series. Mario Kart will no longer be the big party game hit it once was, because even the biggest Mario Kart fans will have little good to say about this slump in the series. If we're very lucky, by Mario Kart 9 they will realise what they did wrong with this one and win everyone back - but let's face it, that's not very likely. Go away, Mario Kart. We don't like you anymore.
  86. Jun 21, 2014
    A nearly Perfect Game. If you liked any Mario or any karting game, get a wii u and buy this game.
    Pros: The visuals. Wow. It looks amazing. The races. The Characters. Multiplayer etc.
    Cons: The battle mode. This is the thing that held it back from a 10. They put actual race tracks in the game instead of those cube tracks. This results to instead battling it out with your friends, you
    drive through the track hoping you find them. And even you do find them, they're just gonna zoom past you.
    Anyway, Great game nearly a 10, but the battle mode ruined it. Still great though.
  87. Jun 8, 2014
    Striking colors, fantastic music and unabashed fun, that is whats waiting for you in Mariokart 8.

Mariokart 8 is fantastic game showing that a series in its 8th installment can still come up with fresh ideas and deliver such a high dosage of pure gaming joy. in a time where the trend to bash on Nintendo for being "unoriginal" and "behind the times" its refreshing to see a game without
    the mountains of blood, gore and excessive dlc and microtrnsactions from a AAA publisher.

Let's pretend you have never played a game in the mariokart series. What does it play like? well mariokart (and almost every kart racer) builds upon the idea of crazy physics and over the top tracks that you duke it out on, often with some sort of item/weapon system. strategic use of items and Mastering of inline drifting is top priority.

while the same basic concept remains the same for mariokart 8, it's still the most refreshing kart game i have played in years. The antigravity feature may not seem to be much of a change at first, but its how much it plays in with gliding and underwater portins that makes it all work together. while mariokart 7 also had the gliding and underwater sections, it never really meshed. But with the antigravity in mariokart 8 it manages to transition seamlessly from one to the other without it feeling like thoughtless addon.

aside from thye new features what improvement does this 8th installment in this gaming megaseries bring to the table? for me it was the changes made to how items and drifting work. in past mariokart games you had the ability to pick up an item, shield you back with it and pick up another item in your hand, ready to blast anyone brave enough to slip past your defenses. This made first place almost invincible and impervious to attacks. not this time though as you can only pick up one item at a time, leveling the playing field. but as a consolation for the nefarious shell and banana fortresses they have the superhorn, an item so glorious, so magnificent it shattered the mind of many a mariokart fan, sending tears of gratitude from battle worn eyes. This item is able block the dreaded blue spine shell. halleluja!

As mentioned earlier the other major improvement to this game lies the improvemt made the drifting system, the bikes in particular. in previous installments bikes had the ability to inline drift, makeing them superior to karts in every way. this is fixed in mariokart 8 by giving every new vehicle type its own advantagea and weaknesses. bikes have better drifting, ATV's have better traction rough terrain and recover faster from slipping of the course into mud or grass. regular karts have better overall stats on every field and have an advantage when racing straight ahead on regular asphalt. of course each character also brings their own stats and preferences for vehicles. this makes this the most ballanced mariokart to date. cpu's are still terminators hunting the player down though.

the graphics in mariokart 8 is some of the best graphics i have ver seen in a video game eve. no its not the most technicaly advanced graphics ever seen, but its still gorgeous and proves the wiiu is no slouch when compared to the ps4 and xb1. the creativity that is put into the design of each track, both graphicaly and from a gameplay standpoint is mindblowing. even the the retro courses have been remade with new features and gorgeous HD visuals.

the online is probably the best nintendo has ever had, you can customize EVERYTHING in the different modes, from item selection to tournament rules and times. i ahve experienced no lag or dropping and have not had any conectivity issues over my long play sessions of this game.

there is only one issue i have with this game and that is a big one for some people. they completely ruines the battle mode. no more custom made arenas designed for crazy deathmatches and high intensity weapon slinging. instead you batle it out on the tracks from racing mode. this makes battle kode slow and tedious and completely unplayable with less than 12 characters. once the player count dips below it becomes more of a match of finding someone in an empty nothingness compared to the chaotic fun of previous battle modes.

all in all this is a fantastic game and a testament to nintendo's creativity and skill in game design, showing us why they still reign when it comes to making an actaully fun game and not barely interactive "cinematic experiences" that is so popular today. if not for the lackluster battle mode this would have gotten a 10 out of 10, but it seems nothing can reach perfection. a stellar game worth every buck for years to come. a definite BUY.

the
  88. Jun 2, 2014
    This game is excellent. The graphics are unmatched, the game play is perfectly balanced, all of the courses are a blast, online gaming works great, and couch co-op is the most fun in the series.

It gets an 9/10 from me for two reasons:
    1 - The character selection is a bit lackluster. How about Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, Boo, Birdo, ROB, etc.?
    2 - Battle mode is pretty much
    just racing mode that doesn't end until you get hit 3 times. It's terrible compared to other iterations of Battle Mode in Mario Kart, which used to be lots of fun. Expand
  89. Jun 2, 2014
    Wow this is a great game I'm still playing it and I love it it has great graphics great gameplay and great multiplayer very great oh and the price is not too bad it's worth It
    give this a ten
  90. May 30, 2014
    After 3 hours of playing i'm stunned. amazing tracks, nice new weapons and karts, 1080p / 60 fps what else do you need?! this game is must buy if you have wii u or even planning on buying it and promotion free game is always welcome
  91. Jun 5, 2014
    this game needs soooo much fixing, dont get me wrong its a good game i completed all the cups already with atleast a 1 star rating but the items and karts are sooo dumb. first of all the kart parts have "stats" in which some have more speed than others and some may have more acceleration, but none of those stats come into effect. i play as morton (heavy) on the sport bike with azure roller tires and the bowser kite. the stats for that is (4.25 speed, 4.0 accel, 3.75 weight, 3.25 handling and 1.75 traction) that is a great balance of a high amount of speed and acceleration but noooooo in this game ive gotten passed by normally driving by mario, who is a medium player, with the Standard kart, standard tires and the super glider which has (3.75 speed, 2.5 accel, 3.75 weight, 3.25 handling and 3.75 traction) so nintendo is trying to go above and beyond with these features of customizable karts but you basically customize them for show since the stats dont apply to the game at all. Second, the items in this game suck, ive gotten a star in 2nd place, that really doesnt make any sense at all in my eyes, when you get hit by an item its almost like youre stunned for 15 seconds, ive been in first place slipped on a banana and was sent all the way back to 7th in a matter of seconds. in mario kart wii, which is the best mario kart, when you had a mushroom or a star it would give u a noticably big speed boost...... not in mario kart 8, there is probably a 2% speed boost tops when activating star power. mushrooms in this game barely add speed as well, ive had a golden mushroom before and was passed by a person getting a boost from drifting.......wtf is that crap. there really needs to be something changed with the items with how often you get a certain item, what places can and cant get certain items, faster and more powerful boosts with mushrooms or stars and even the bullet bill. the bullet bill is complete garbage in this game. if nintendo is going to implement kart stats they should at least make it balanced or just have the stats removed. in addition to that, the stats are completely unfair, heavy characters start off with a base stat of (4.75 speed which is already fast, 2.0 accel, 4.75 weight, 2.25 handling and 3.25 traction) with just a base stat of that is completely over powered. having a footrace on mario circuit with heavy against light, heavy would win because of the speed they have(light has a base stat of 2.25 speed). overalll this game is completely 100% broken from items to stats to stun from items.right now with my experience on this game i would give it a 2.5 out of 5 and im a great Nintendo fan, but they really messed up this game and its bad. Expand
  92. Jun 6, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is the best game I've ever encountered in years! It brings back the true meaning of fun into the gaming world, to the players home. The races are fun, there is great real and cosmetical customization options, the tracks are wonderful, and the music...i can't tell... you need to experience it... Nintendo released this masterpiece on their not so well selling system, but i'm sure the selling be skyrocketing soon. If you looking forward to the game, but you don't own the Wii U yet, just go out and buy it. This game is a system selling title, not to mention, you can get a free game at club nintendo if you buy mariokart. Expand
  93. Jun 6, 2014
    I need to say, im impressed! The graphics are really great! and the game its a lot of fun! Online matchs are great. i would like too see more options to chat between players before the race starts. i would like to see a way to play on tv and gamepad separately in 2 playes mode, but im really satisfied with Mario KArt 8. Thanks Nintendo!
  94. Jun 10, 2014
    SUPER JUEGAZO, POR ESO LE DOY UN 10+, ADEMAS TIENE UNA JUGABILIDAD MARAVILLOSA QUE NO SE HABIA PRESENTADO EN ALGUN MARIO KART PASADO; ADEMAS SE NOTA UNA MEJORA EN LA MOVILIDAD DEL JUEGO EN RELACION A LA OPCION MULTIPLAYER ONLINE QUE TIENE
  95. Jun 17, 2014
    This game was such a disappointment! They no longer have automatic and manual, for most people this is okay but for casual gamers like my wife and kids who do not know how to drift will not like it very long. Mario kart 7 introduce Automatic driving which was great because now my family can actually play on 150cc cup with me because it auto drifts for them. I do not know why they took out the feature but my family all quit after always coming in last. We went back to mario kart 7 so we can all play together Expand
  96. Jun 12, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is a fun game, but it fails to take the series anywhere it hasn't been before and suffers from Nintendo's laziness in a few areas. Let's start off with the good. There are plenty of courses and a decent roster of characters to choose from. Nintendo added a little more depth by being able to choose your vehicle type, tires, and air peripheral. The game is colorful and looks decent for a Nintendo game. Why am I saying decent a lot? I'm simply not very impressed overall with this game. The graphics, while decent for a Nintendo game, are still very lackluster. There are a lot of rough edges and the detail just isn't there. Then again, I have higher standards than the average gamer. Additionally, you can no longer carry more than one item at a time. This makes the game a little less strategic, which is unfortunate. The battle mode is probably the worst-executed part of the game. There aren't even specialized maps for battle. Nintendo literally took some of the race courses and made them battle courses. Online multiplayer is also very underwhelming, as you cannot fill and entire race with human opponents.

Overall, Mario Kart 8 is a fun, but lacking game. It would be nice to see Nintendo try a little harder next time and not take the easy way out in so many areas.
  97. Jun 6, 2014
    Pretty fun, but it's still no Diddy Kong Racing. Having an answer for the blue shell is welcome and the HD graphics are an improvement, but at the end of the day it's essentially the same thing it's always been.
  98. Jun 1, 2014
    I really wanted to love this game but as it is I only like it. It looks fantastic and has a good variety of tracks. The player roster leaves a little to be desired, there should be less babies and koopa kids and more of the other toons we all like (Samus).

But when push comes to shove this is just the same Mario Kart game (that some of us have been playing since the SNES) with pretty
    graphics.

This is still a good game and any Mario Kart fan should pick it up, but it could have been great, Nintendo were simply to scared to take any real chances with it.
  99. Jun 9, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is everything you should come to expect from a next-gen Mario Kart title. The visuals are beautiful: graphics are very detailed, and courses are colorful and eye-catching. The gameplay is nothing new for Mario Kart, as it employs all of the mechanics from previous games while new additions are minimal, ranging from a few new power-ups to some new kart customizations. Making a return from Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 7 are coins, which add some variety to the game and allows for some "fun along the way" as you try to grab coins to cap out your max speed. The revamped courses are gorgeous and very nostalgic, and the remixed music was a blast from the past. My personal favorites are N64's Rainbow Road, SNES's Donut Plains 3 and Wii's Moo Moo Meadows. One minor complaint I have about this game is the item balance, both in quality and quantity. First: one of the new items unleashes a piranha plant that frantically snaps its mouth, giving you speed boosts, nabbing nearby coins and knocking out opponents in the process. Although you only typically acquire the piranha plant when you're towards the bottom of the board, it seems a bit overpowered and does a lot for one power-up. Second: just like in Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 8 increases the number of concurrent racers from eight to twelve, which drastically increases the number of items on-screen. When I first picked the game up, I immediately jumped into 150cc Grand Prix. Being a veteran of the series, I've done this before with previous entries to challenge myself and was able to get accustomed fairly quickly. In just about every race this time around, I was in first place for more than half a race, ahead by a considerable distance, and then out of the blue I got hit with an assortment of three or four different shells that sets me back at least eight places and left me to finish the race in fourth at best. For a game that requires you to get first on all four races in a cup in order to get the best award for that cup, this is infuriating and incredibly frustrating. You can do everything right in a race (drifting, drafting, hitting speed boosts, doing tricks off every jump, collecting ten coins, etc.), only to be barraged with shells at the very last second and to be thrown into sixth place, forcing you to restart the entire cup and ultimately resulting in a waste of time. It feels like, no matter what you do, this game doesn't reward skill but simply gives you a slight chance of having a three-star rating fall into your lap, which honestly isn't fun in the slightest. Items aside, this game is very fun to play with friends and it's a very refreshing Mario Kart experience. Just don't expect to have much fun if you're in it even remotely for the achievement. Expand
  100. Jun 11, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is a step backwards for the Mario Kart franchise. It's getting a lot of positive attention, as you would expect a Mario Kart game to get. I think people are beginning to disregard any flaws that a Mario Kart game may have now because of a delusion that all of these games are perfect. If this is your first time picking up a Mario Kart game, I would recommend Mario Kart Wii over this game, if you already have a Wii or Wii U. So why don't I like Mario Kart 8? They changed things that didn't need to be changed. It felt like they took content out. They added things that didn't need to be added. And worst of all, it feels like it was lazy. I'll get the positive things out of the way now, because I'd like to put more emphasis on the negative aspects. The game is fun, as usual. The game is gorgeous, too. The graphics are very nice to look at, the music sounds pretty good. They added a Piranha Plant power-up, which I thought was a strong and good addition- it chomps every few seconds, giving you a small boost each time and grabbing/attacking anything on your screen (even the Blooper that sprays ink). They also added a Music Box power-up, which was an excellent addition because it sends out a shock wave around the user, flipping any nearby enemy drivers and destroying any incoming hostile projectiles (including the Blue Shell) or any bad things left on the road. It's a power-up that requires skill and timing, and there can never be enough of that. Online mode is pretty smooth, I've never lagged and I've never had any problems finding people or connecting. Bikes were also made more similar to karts, which, while it takes away some of the uniqueness of bikes, adds a bit more balance to the game. The game also lets you take on the Grand Prix with your friends, something that should have been added a long time ago. That's it for the good. Time for the bad. And there's a lot more of it. When I first started the game, the first thing I did was look up a list of specific prerequisites to unlock characters (sorry, I didn't feel like finding out for myself), and the characters themselves. When I found something to read, it told me that all the characters are unlocked in a random order. That's stupid. In Mario Kart Wii, there was the more difficult-to-get Dry Bowser, who seemed awesome. And you know how you unlock him? By getting a one star rating or higher on all the new 150cc cups. Not too difficult, but was definitely satisfying to complete that specific goal and have that character waiting for you as a reward. Dry Bowser is just my favorite example- there are plenty of other characters that were unlocked in many different unique and specific ways. Mario Kart 8, however, has the universal method of coming in 1st place in any cup, unlocking one character per gold trophy. So you can't just go for the characters you want by taking on specific challenges- you just play and hope the game gives you the character you want (if there are even any on MK8's roster). My experience works out perfectly for this review- the only character I wanted was the last one I unlocked. That was real nice. Oh, and yeah, I only cared about one- Rosalina. The rest of the roster was garbage. They used all 7 Koopaling bosses from the original Super Mario World. While I was amazed and happy at first, realizing that they put ALL SEVEN of them in the game ruined any kind of excitement and nostalgia I felt. That was a lazy choice. And in case there weren't enough babies, Baby Rosalina joined the fray! Because, you know, we need more of the same exact character. Metal Mario is kinda cool I guess. Lakitu is okay, I love Rosalina, and the heavy/metal versions of Mario and Peach were fine. But, in my opinion, the rest of the roster was lame and lazy. 2-player split screen was made worse. The screen is now divided with a vertical line instead of a horizontal one, making your vision of what you actually need to see worse. Battle Mode was butchered. This one was painful. Remember those fun, arena-like tracks where you could have balloon battles in a frenzy? They're gone. The new selection of courses to battle on are just a few of the actual racetracks from the game. This was one of the stupidest decisions they made. They added some power-ups that are horrible. There's a Coin as a power-up now. It gives you a barely noticeable speed boost and two coins. Useless. There's also a Boomerang, which is seemingly impossible to aim. The "8" is stupid too, because it consists of 7 mediocre power-ups and a Star. But you have hardly any control what order they're used in, so I just mash the button until I get the Star. If you hold a power-up behind/around you now, like a banana peel, it doesn't empty your item slot. This takes away strategy from the game. Finally, the new anti-gravity mechanic is practically unnoticeable. I'm sorry to end it so abruptly, and I had more to say, but I'm reaching the character limit. Mario Kart 8 is a disappointment to the franchise Expand

1. Sep 18, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is pretty great in many ways, but undoubtedly moreso with a collection of friends to play with, or when facing off against other players online.
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    No revolution here, but still it’s an absolute must-have for every Wii U owner. [08/2014, p.68]
  3. Jul 31, 2014
    A beautiful and fun racing game, which uses the possibilities offered by its host platform to emphasize and renew the truly universal appeal of the series.