7.2

1. Sep 30, 2014
    The two things that bring the Wii U version down is the fact that EA didn't even think to release the Trilogy along with this game, and they didn't even support this release with the rest of the DLC that came out for the other 3 platforms. I don't really have to mention the ending as I think everyone is well aware of it, but that's not the reason I gave it a 6.
    It's not a horrible game
    and if you love the series like I do, you'll want to have this game on the Wii U just because it's the first Mass Effect game on a Nintendo system. Despite all the annoyances I have with the story not really being my own and a lot of the plot points I would have controlled in previous games just being waved off and unchangeable even with the interactive comic, I still enjoy the story. It's also the exact same gameplay as the other versions just with an added gamepad touch (pun sort of intended), it's used a map screen mostly and you've got some hot keys and you can command your squad to take cover not the best use for it but you won't find it's functions on 360, PS3 or PC. I played mostly with the Pro Controller so I didn't utilise the gamepad that much.
    The Online mode is sort of baron, you'll be searching for games for a while unless you try to start one yourself and hope that somebody joins, also I live in Australia so the lag was terrible as most of the servers I tried to join were in Europe. The Multiplayer is fun for a bit but then you realise it's the same thing mostly ans sometimes it can get difficult as to where you can take cover without getting slaughtered.
    As a Mass Effect fan who hates EA, I'm glad I have it in my collection, but I'm also pissed off that I can't play as the Shepard that I want and I can't stop my evil clone and party on the Citadel with my crew!
  2. Mar 7, 2014
    I will never forgive EA for rushing the development of this game. It pains to think about what could have been.
    On top of it all, they screwed over Wii U owners. What would have clearly been the definitive version is held back by a horrible comic that omits any sort of control over the events of the first 2 games. On top of it all, they will never release 1 and 2 because EA likes to screw
    over Nintendo fans at every possible avenue.

However, I still give this game a 10 because in spite of its rushed development, this game is darn near perfection. Several of the most emotionally provocative moments in video game history are all in this game. I've never experienced such a grand storyline on such an epic scale. Thank you BioWare for the ride. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it up until the end.

Thank heavens we at least got the extended cut that tied off so many of the stories and choices that were left totally absent from the original ending.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    There is not much difference from the others but if your wanting a third party game that you can play for a long time to the point of wearing it out Mass Effect 3 does it purpose! The game pad is better used as a screen to play on. From Ashes DLC and Javik is what you would expect from DLC for a RPG. Star Trek fans should have no problems getting into the story. The comic book is masterful designed to give you background but sabotages you be not allowing you the use of the two DLC characters from Mass Effect two and even worse selects a options that means life and death for a character. Expand
  4. Dec 7, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U is a good port and runs pretty well. The downside is that the first two games aren't available on the Wii U which means players are missing out on two-thirds of the story and a lot of the DLC.

It's still a good game on its own but it feels a bit like catching the last few episodes of a TV series, the episodes might be good on their own but it's just a whole
    lot better if you start from the beginning. It also includes the "Genesis 2" interactive comic which is a quick recap of the main storyline in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.

It's nice that they tried to get players up to speed with the story and not just put Mass Effect 3 onto the Wii U anyway, but turning a 40 hour game into a 10 minute comic means that unfortunately a lot of things do get missed out.

Considering that Mass Effect Trilogy was released on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC at the same time as ME3 launched on the Wii U and for the same price, the "Special Edition" doesn't really feel all that special. This is a shame since this could have been a good time to bring the whole series to a new fanbase and not lock fans out of the full story just because of the platform they have.
  5. Sep 30, 2013
    Amazing! I had the intention of playing Mass Effect 1 and 2 but didn't quite adapt to the controls on the Xbox360 and PC but this one using the Gamepad and it's touchscreen was perfect. It lets you speed up to the story with an interactive comic so you can set some background on your character. The story kept me playing non stop for 3 days until i reached the end (superb). I would recommend this game for everyone out there with a WiiU! Expand
  6. Sep 12, 2013
    This is a fun game and I have spent countless hours playing online with family, friends, and strangers. It has been a blast to play. The only reason I will drop 1 point is because head shots don't take down your enemies as fast as I think it should but that is my opinion. Either way this game is a fun and great game.
  7. Sep 8, 2013
    I played this game back when it first came out on Xbox 360. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and also one of the few games I've ever given a perfect 10/10. This port is the exact game game with the previously released DLC already installed on the disc. It's got the same fantastic campaign and awesome multiplayer, but there are a few key issues that keep this Wii U port from being the "Special Edition" that the title would have you believe. Most issues are little and due to the fact that EA and Bioware aren't giving this port the backing they are giving the PS3 and 36o versions. This means no DLC or patch support, the latter of which causes this port to have many bugs and glitches, mostly in the multiplayer portion of this game. But by far the biggest issue that keeps me from recommending the Wii U version over other ports is that Mass Effect 1 and 2 aren't available on the Wii U. This strips this version of one of the biggest and best part of ME 3; the ability to import you decisions from previous game to influence how the game plays out. They tried to make up for this by giving this version a digital comic that covers over the previous two games stories and lets you make some of the bigger story decisions. The problem with this is that the comic gives you no sort of context as to why they are important or how they will effect the game. Also you're not building relationships with the fantastic characters Bioware has crafted over these 3 games, so a lot of ME 3's more emotional moments are lost on the player. So as you can see you're better off buying ME 3 for a system with access to the entire trilogy to feel the full effect ME 3 can offer, especially since you can probably get the entire trilogy for the same price or cheaper than this Wii U port. However if the Wii U is the only video game system you own, then this is still a must play regardless of its faults. The campaign still has one of the best stories in video game history, sci-fi or otherwise. It's also packed with intense firefights, tough decisions, and fantastic characters. It will keep you busy for many hours, and the multiple endings will keep you coming back. The multiplayer is also fantastic, combining co-operative gameplay, with multiple character classes and races, as well as many difficulties. So if you have the option I do recommend picking up ME 3 on another system wit the entire trilogy, but like I said before if the Wii U is your only video game system then this is still a game you need to play. Expand
  8. Jun 13, 2013
    Nope, even with all of the dlc and patches, this game still sucks. There isn't much to say that hasn't been said already, the gameplay is gears of war lite with broken controls, the story in this particular chapter is atrociously written, the new squadmates suck and the ending still sucks. Not to be rude, but anyone who rates this highly clearly hasn't had much experience with good RPG's, or good shooters for that matter, because this game sucks on both fronts, it has poor narrative, and the gameplay sucks so hard that it could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Expand
  9. Feb 2, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 is a great addition to the Wii U library, specially because it was available since launch. It definitely keeps all the essence of the other versions and adds some interesting features through the Wii U GamePad. It's really sad that some of the DLC is not included on this version, which does not make it so special as the title suggests, but it's still Mass Effect 3, a definite must-buy for the Wii U Expand
  10. Jan 11, 2013
    Mass Effect has arrived in style for Wii U. Many fans have enjoyed this series on other platforms and Mass Effect 3 shows what it's all about. In addition to the main game, there's the new gamepad functionality with a convenient map for ordering allies and your special powers and some of the DLC on the other consoles is included for free. The game truly deserves a 10 but as much as I hate to say it 3 key factors hold this version back. 1. Wii U players have no access to the first 2 games resulting in a comic to catch players up on the story, while it gets the job done its not the same as playing 1 and 2 on the system. 2. Any DLC for the other platforms besides the content that's on the disc will not be available on Wii U. 3. ME3 on Wii U is the full $60 on Wii U but other platforms have it around $30 now (and the whole trilogy for $60). None of that changes the fact that this game is amazing and if the Wii U is your weapon of choice for gaming defiantly pick it up. Expand
  11. Dec 23, 2012
    The WIi U version is great - the reason it has 6.1 is probably due to all the XBOTS / PS Drones. It runs a lot smoother - it's a great experience, and the WIi U gamepad functionality really adds a new dimension to the game which I (now realised) that I lacked on the 360 version and PS3. Unfortunately, the Wii U gamepad functionality isn't as great as I would have hoped - but it's still a superior version to the others. I felt they could have added a lot more, but there is a lot of untapped potential. However, this is to be expected from a launch port - future iterations are most probably going to utilise the gamepad a lot better. However, from a game perspective, it's as great as it's always been. The ending left a bit to be desired, but the whole gameplay experience more than made up for it. Expand
  12. Dec 17, 2012
    It's absurd that this has a 5.8. It's better on wiiu than both the mainstream consoles. It's smoother in both graphics and controls. Everything else is the same, and since it scores so well on other consoles I smell industry buy-off corruption *******. Get this damn game!
  13. Dec 1, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 Special Edition was made for the Wii U engine. For all you Star Wars noobs you will appreciate controls. It is sad that developers are not using the Nintendo eShop for on-line content. Also I want wii motion plus controls it is epic for third Person games. Also it would be nice if Mass Effect 3 had better replayability,
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    Runs so much faster than the other two. Loads more fun and only on one disc. Graphics are much smoother and framerates only lag sometimes. This game shows you what the wii u is capable of and I cant wait to see what it brings us!
  15. Nov 22, 2012
    a fantastic game. with the new extended cut mass effect 3 ends the trilogy in a great way. its epic, exciting, dramatic, its equally as good as mass effect 2. the only negatives are the journal system sucks now...but the gamepaly, characters, graphics, everything is top notch. the best game of 2012 and one of the best games ever overall
  16. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is exactly the same as the 360/PS3 counterparts with a few exceptions. The frame rate runs smoother than the PS3 version I have but the color looks off. As in it looks good but looking side by side some parts of the level looks different on the Wii U. Not bad, just different.
    The Wii Pad is not really put to good use here and is mainly for inventory purposes and it kind of sucks
    not getting 1 and 2 on the Wii U. The biggest problem is EA has the audacity to change $60 for this when you can get the trilogy on other platforms for the same price. Really EA? And you can't figure out why no one likes you.
    I can't hate on the game too bad and feel I should rate the game on its own merit, and they at least added a 20 minute comic at the beginning to catch Wii U owners up on the story. But EA has been doing a lot of stupid things lately so I am docking 3 points. The game itself is a 9. But for the price you are better off getting it on another system. But if all you have is a Wii U, then by all means.....Pick it up.

From the boring story, to the shallow single-player gameplay, to the dull characters, Mass Effect 3: Special Edition didn’t do anything for me to live up to its Wii U subtitle.
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    Still great, but the port should have had more. [Feb 2013, p.77]
  3. Jan 14, 2013
    Without doubt, Mass Effect 3: Special Edition is easily one of the best offerings on the Wii U right now, but it simply cannot be stressed enough that players must seek out the two previous games in the series before playing this one.