• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 29, 2013
  • Also On: 3DS
7.3

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Para aqueles que tem dúvida se compram ou não, o jogo vale a pena. um hibrido entre mario galaxy e o sonic the hedahog. Existe a velocidade e os inimigos clássicos de sonic, com o lvl desing das fases do mario, e alguns colecionáveis para procurar.
    O jogo tem a dificuldade um pouco acima da média dos demais sonic, e os controles responde de forma satisfatória. Em alguns poucos momentos senti frustração em decorrência da resposta de meus comandos. Mas isso se deve mais ao fato de se acostumar com a nova mecânica que um defeito do jogo.
    Em termos de gráfico e som, o jogo esta excelente, cumprindo bem seu papel.
    Os chefes por sua vez, apresentam uma dificuldade baixa, mas ainda sim divertida.
    Em minha humilde opinião, este um jogo obrigatório para os fãs do ouriço azul, e para aqueles que não o conhecem. Enfim, obrigatório a todos os donos do wii u
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    This is a great game! I have been playing for a week now and it is amazing.Of course it's not perfect but besides the boss fights this is a game that is worth your time and money if you are a sonic or platformer fan
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    Sonic Lost World's been criticized for being slow. Really guy? There's a run button you know. Granted this isn't entirely bad as SEGA wanted to try something different. The controls are super fluid as you'll get used to them in a matter of seconds like I did. The Music's great like all the other Sonic games, Visuals are outstanding for a Wii U title (There's a lot of exploration in levelsSonic Lost World's been criticized for being slow. Really guy? There's a run button you know. Granted this isn't entirely bad as SEGA wanted to try something different. The controls are super fluid as you'll get used to them in a matter of seconds like I did. The Music's great like all the other Sonic games, Visuals are outstanding for a Wii U title (There's a lot of exploration in levels by the way.) and the story is pretty funny. Just watch some YouTube videos of the cut-scenes and you'll get a good laugh. Sonic Lost World may not be as good as Colors, the Genesis games or Generations but it's still really solid and hell it's better than the 3DS version and Sonic 06 by a long one. Expand
  4. Nov 18, 2013
    Since Sonic Lost World was announced as a Wii U exclusive, I've had three main surprises with it. The first was the launch trailer, which looked like a much better experience than I expected a new Sonic game to be. The second came with the lukewarm reviews it got, a real letdown after all the hype. The third was finding out that, despite that, it is in fact a (gasp) pretty good platformer.Since Sonic Lost World was announced as a Wii U exclusive, I've had three main surprises with it. The first was the launch trailer, which looked like a much better experience than I expected a new Sonic game to be. The second came with the lukewarm reviews it got, a real letdown after all the hype. The third was finding out that, despite that, it is in fact a (gasp) pretty good platformer.

Even before the actual gameplay, I was impressed by the game's presentation. The graphics are sharp, vibrant, and brightly colored. The music and sound effects hit all the right notes, and a lot of the tracks are as memorable as the amazing tunes of the series's 2D beginnings. Sure, the storyline won't win any awards, but it should be serviceable as a well-made Saturday-morning cartoon, especially for younger gamers.

Playing the game is, for the most part, a joy. Sonic isn't always running like mad, which makes the platforming aspect a lot deeper. Controls are responsive and mostly intuitive; after the game's initial batch of gamepad-activated tips, it's very easy to get the hang of everything in a mostly seamless process. Some of Sonic's parkour moves aren't exactly easy to execute, but mastering them feels like a worthwhile process rather than a drag. Sadly, the same can't be said about the wisps, color-based powers than transform Sonic into special forms like asteroid, eagle, and bomb. In trying to use the gamepad touchscreen in innovative ways, wisp controls are inaccurate at best and grating at worst. Thankfully, they're not a fundamental part of the gameplay for the most part, serving mostly as a simple diversion.

The level design, especially when it comes to diversity, is the best thing Sonic Lost World has going for it. The game mixes 3D platforming with old-school 2D stages, sometimes resorting to endless runner levels and more offbeat designs. This ensures the gameplay never gets stale, and the way stages are expertly crafted goes a long way towards making you keep playing.

Nothing in Sonic Lost World is breathtakingly innovative, with the Super Mario Galaxy influence being pretty obvious, but it's still a great piece of software that will get platforming fans invested. Add extras like collectibles, time trials with online leaderboards, co-op play and item-sharing Miiverse integration, and you've got a tight package that is much better than the average review will let on. If you like what you see on the game's many trailers, rest assured you'll have a lot of fun when you play it.
  5. Jan 1, 2014
    lost world is a sonic game that challenges gamers more than any sonic game since the genesis. By doing this it makes some missteps but when it does things right it is an exhilirating game to play. their are chase levels, their are levels were you precisely move from falling platform to falling platform. the tougher levels require speed and you will even have to rotate sonic around thelost world is a sonic game that challenges gamers more than any sonic game since the genesis. By doing this it makes some missteps but when it does things right it is an exhilirating game to play. their are chase levels, their are levels were you precisely move from falling platform to falling platform. the tougher levels require speed and you will even have to rotate sonic around the world to dodge gisnt snowballs and enemies occasionally. this shows that the galaxy formula actually gives sonic greater freedom to roam and its neat when its used. the problem is their should be mandatory movie sequences or something to show that it can be done early on in the game. onto whats irritating, the red rings are inconsistently difficult. one red ring has icicles surrounded it which you have to dodge but then rewards you with rings for attempting it while the next red ring requires careful wall jumping skills which give no room for error. their are also segments which although interesting and creative. jumping on clouds. running toward blender gears so you can be carried by the fruit juices. these segments are fun but their different trom the visceral experience in a typical sonic game. this game is an extremely fun difficult game which reminds me of the original crash bandicoot. I think once fans get a hang of the difficulty theyll love how much precision and speed is behind their actions. Expand
  6. Dec 24, 2013
    Sonic Lost World has been bombarded with a significant amount of negative, low scaling reviews.

I for one do not understand it. Sonic Lost World is a much needed upgrade to the franchise. The level design is the best aspect of game. Each zone offers some unique and different. This game is far from perfect but it appears that all the negative reviews are pushing players away. If

I for one do not understand it.

This game is far from perfect but it appears that all the negative reviews are pushing players away. If you find this game on sale you need to still add it to the library. It still one of the top 5 games on the WII U to play.

I suppose the negative aspects is what is really holding the game back.

---
    Cons Game play. This is a big one. It need's a bit of polishing. You often fine yourself bumping back and forth into walls. It lacks an overall smooth flow to the game. Some areas, secrets just seems a bit of a hassle to discover instead of an accomplishment.

Flow Landing attacks on enemies is easy, but your character loses all it speeds and reset it's running speed. It's quite odd that developers felt like this was the correct way of programming.

---

Pro Level concept. The game still offers great concepts, and beautiful art style. The part that hold it's pack is the actual design which hinders the flow.

A more accurate grading would be high 7.8 to a low 8.0
  7. Apr 26, 2014
    che cosa solo un voto nella media a questa sonic che devasta letteralmente gli altri prequel in 3d che era tra l'anonimi ( sonic adventure dx , sonic unleashed) oppure giochi buoni ( sonic heroes , sonic colors) questo titolo stramerita i vostri soldi
  8. Jan 19, 2015
    This game is an awesome sonic game and worth every cent!

Pros
    -Outstanding Graphics
    -Amazing story
    -Fun gameplay/bosses
    -Very funny
    -Outstanding music

CONS
    -A little glitchy
    -too hard at times
  9. Feb 12, 2015
    Game is actually quite good, sometimes a bit hard but a very good Sonic game. Arguably the best one in the last 10-15 years. Classic Sonic turned into a 3D style title.

Some consider this a "Mario Galaxy" game, but it isn't really the case. The gameplay feels like if old Sonic went into the new modern Sonic games but focused more on accuracy and mixed speeds. Heard alot consider it

Heard alot consider it better then Colors, but it depends on whether you played it.
  10. Nov 21, 2013
    Here's how I determined this was a good game and worthy of being purchased. I downloaded the demo, which is just the first stage (Windy Hill Zone 1). I played it, then I played it again. Then again, and again after that. Next thing I knew, three hours had gone by and all I'd been doing is playing one stage over and over again. The last things I did before turning in for the night wereHere's how I determined this was a good game and worthy of being purchased. I downloaded the demo, which is just the first stage (Windy Hill Zone 1). I played it, then I played it again. Then again, and again after that. Next thing I knew, three hours had gone by and all I'd been doing is playing one stage over and over again. The last things I did before turning in for the night were buying the game in the Wii U shop and starting the download.

There's a bit of a learning curve as far as the controls are concerned, but after awhile, I find them to be far more responsive and precise than Hedgehog Engine games. My only real complaint about the controls is the unnecessary addition of color powers, which appear to have been added simply because they felt they had to put something in the game that utilized the gamepad touchscreen. I don't like the very idea of the gamepad touchscreen in just about every Wii U game I've played. Having to shift and refocus your eyes back and forth is awkward and uncomfortable. In a game like Sonic, it really breaks the flow, although Sonic Team was smart enough to make the game pause after using a color power to give you a chance to reacclimate yourself with the TV screen.

As far as the people saying it's copying too much off of Mario Galaxy, so what? That's what Sonic has always done. Sonic games take the elements from Mario games and speed them up. Sonic 1,2, and 3 copied Super Mario Bros. Sonic Adventure copied Mario 64. Sonic Lost World copies Mario Galaxy. It doesn't matter as long as the games are good, and this one is good.
  11. Jun 4, 2014
    I'm very surprised to find that this game scored so low. In my opinion it is one of the best sonic games of all time. The controls are tight and visually it is great. The coop could be better though, but as far as playing through single player it is great, the switching between 3d and 2d modes is cool(kind of like Sonic Generations but better) If you own a Wii U and love that sonic speed,I'm very surprised to find that this game scored so low. In my opinion it is one of the best sonic games of all time. The controls are tight and visually it is great. The coop could be better though, but as far as playing through single player it is great, the switching between 3d and 2d modes is cool(kind of like Sonic Generations but better) If you own a Wii U and love that sonic speed, give this one a try, it's very good. On a side note get the Yoshi DLC, it's short but looks amazing. Expand
  12. Nov 8, 2013
    I agree with the 80 and above because the fact that after wacthing gameplay its so realistic, but it goes with bad reviews. I don't get it why some games are so good but then you know what happens.
  13. Nov 24, 2013
    Sonic Lost World is a very Different take on the Sonic games. I've 100% completed the game and I say its a great Sonic Game. Single-Player and Multiplayer are both a blast to play (with the exception of the RC Vehicles). Multiplayer was surprisingly fun to play, the two screen feature works perfect for the Multiplayer. However, this game is not perfect. In the last world, there is a hugeSonic Lost World is a very Different take on the Sonic games. I've 100% completed the game and I say its a great Sonic Game. Single-Player and Multiplayer are both a blast to play (with the exception of the RC Vehicles). Multiplayer was surprisingly fun to play, the two screen feature works perfect for the Multiplayer. However, this game is not perfect. In the last world, there is a huge difficulty spike and can really get annoying and frustrating. The Boss Battles are Jokes, with the new Homing Action it is pretty easy to defeat the bosses. The Pre-order bonus is alright, but could have been better. Gyroscope controls and the Wisp are poorly implemented into the game. Gyroscope controls are twitchy and are from the console instead of the senor bar and can be frustrating to control. Wisp are not even mentioned or put into in the game's story which is a complete let down to me. Other than those small problems, the game is great. Very underrated in my opinion. One of my Favorite Sonic Games. Expand
  14. Nov 17, 2013
    First, for those saying it ripped off Mario Galaxy, actually, Sonic Adventure did the whole flying from area to area place first (Windy Valley for example)!

Great game. One of the best Sonic games. I really enjoyed all of it, the 2D and 3D levels and found the new gamepad color controls innovative and wonderful. I loved the way one could run onto another side in the 3D worlds for different play and paths. And most of the levels were just beautiful!
  15. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is truly amazing in every way Its so fun to play and so many different ways to play through each level it never gets boring. I love how the story is on this game and it has superb graphics and music in this game. I'm going to admit it the last sonic game I enjoyed was sonic adventure on the dreamcast but this one is my new favourite with adventure a very close 2nd. I recommendThis game is truly amazing in every way Its so fun to play and so many different ways to play through each level it never gets boring. I love how the story is on this game and it has superb graphics and music in this game. I'm going to admit it the last sonic game I enjoyed was sonic adventure on the dreamcast but this one is my new favourite with adventure a very close 2nd. I recommend this game to everyone and yeah as you get through the game it can get hard and frustrating at times I've lost count how many continues I have used but I get there in the end. Sonic lost world really should of had better reviews overall and this is a fantastic wii u exclusive game to own. if you haven't got this game yet then you are missing out big time! Expand
  16. Dec 12, 2013
    I honestly don't understand why this game would get poor reviews. Sure, the controls take time to get used too, especially if you're used to the Unleashed/Colors/Generations controls, but that doesn't make it a bad game, does it? I personally think Sonic Lost world is a worthy successor to Sonic Colors. It isn't perfect though, the Whisps in this game are useless, and i would of liked someI honestly don't understand why this game would get poor reviews. Sure, the controls take time to get used too, especially if you're used to the Unleashed/Colors/Generations controls, but that doesn't make it a bad game, does it? I personally think Sonic Lost world is a worthy successor to Sonic Colors. It isn't perfect though, the Whisps in this game are useless, and i would of liked some online multi-player like on the 3DS Version, but aside from that, this game is worth buying! Expand
  17. Dec 16, 2013
    Sonic Lost World is so far, and by far, my favorite platforming and Sonic game.

The controls are tight, but take some time getting used to, as the controls ARE explained fine, but no one usually ever feels like touching the tutorial button as it pauses the game and I don't feel like stopping. Also I feel like critics like IGN or gamespot tried a little bit too hard to make the game
    Sonic Lost World is so far, and by far, my favorite platforming and Sonic game.

Also I feel like critics like IGN or gamespot tried a little bit too hard to make the game look bad, and the only reason this annoys me is because they give some players who want the game the wrong idea, because the game in my opinion, is just aced perfectly. The parkour (which may seem like a "overly hyped idea to some) is possibly my favorite part about the game because of the satisfaction from running up a wall away from what could possibly be a cheap death and again, the parkour takes a little bit of time getting used to, making the game start a little slow, but it only gets better and better the more you get used to the game.

Honestly, there were two flaws in the game that occurred to me, and those were the way the controls were to be explained and surprisingly, the wisps. The wisps didn't really need to be in the game in most parts and only added a small gimmick to do in the game.

Now, to all the people that say that this game "shamelessly rips off super mario galaxy", SONIC LOST WORLD IS NOTHING AT ALL LIKE SUPER MARIO GALAXY. The level design is to the game, but sonic actually started the planetoids and gravity trick idea, especially from a canceled sonic game for SEGA Saturn named Sonic X-treme which looks VERY similar to Sonic Lost World, and a Sonic Adventure 2 stage called "Mad Space". In nutshell, sonic lost world plays nothing at all like mario galaxy, such as some, actually most critics, just slam the game saying that it rips off another game.

As the for the graphics, "non-offensive visuals" (seriously?) doesn't quite describe it's graphics. It's more like "downright sexy" because sonic lost world has 1080p resolution with silky smooth 60 FPS without a single frame drop. Sonic lost world has to be the most beautiful looking games for the Wii U as of now.

The gameplay, as described and hyped about during the making of this game, SONIC IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE FASTEST IN THIS GAME PEOPLE. You can make sonic go fast using the infinite spin dash (which admittedly, is pretty freaking sweet and the best spin dash of all time in a sonic game) to make sonic go very fast and if you've figured out the controls, you can just blaze through the level. The plat forming for me was at its best in sonic lost world as sonic can actually climb up platforms along with the help of the parkour system and the double-jump returning from sonic colors. Yes the game is challenging, all sonic plat forming based games are, and for some reason that's randomly a problem now which really confuses. You will die a lot, but it never came to a point where I found it ridiculous and made me want to stop playing, it actually made me want to keep trying and trying and even if you die too much, you are given a capsule that will transport you to the next checkpoint. But after I got the hang of the game and completed it, I loved this game even more and did not encounter infuriating deaths afterwards.

Sonic Lost World is a really great plat forming game with some minor flaws (to me at least). The parkour was a great and life saving addition to the game that added tons of satisfaction and once you get the hang of the controls and the levels and how sonic works, Sonic lost world has become an addiction.
  18. Mar 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Lost World is all about one thing: variety. Whether or not you like the game, you cannot deny that there is a multitude of different activities in each world. In the first world alone, you're in a Mario Galaxy-esque stage, to be followed by a classic 2D Sonic the Hedgehog. Following this, you're in a circular mind-shaft - and then there's a boss - and that's just World 1! There is a lot you can do in this game, but this also means that there's a huge variety in scores offered.
    I liked everything the levels offered, and was willing to play them again just so I could get the red rings. However, I know many that weren't keen on some of the different level designs and this put them off the game. For them it was almost bipolar - one minute they were playing their new favorite level, only to be followed by their worst.

In short, if you want an original Sonic experience - where you get to do a lot of different stuff- then this is the game for you. If you want a classic Sonic experience - running around at the speed of sound in 2D or 3D environments then you should avoid the game.

Personally, I loved the game but I feel that there could have been more, and I'm still confused at why, after spending so much time perfecting the 3D stages in Sonic Generations (and the critical acclaim the Daytime stages in Sonic Unleashed obtained), they would completely revamp the 3D sections of the game to something completely different. This didn't change my opinion on the game, as I still loved it - but I can understand why people wouldn't.
  19. Mar 6, 2014
    Sonic Lost World to me is good game and my Second favorite sonic game.
    The story is ok not dark or nothing it's ok the humor is really funny and for the deadly six.......ehhhhhh I don't no they ok but not mind blowing or anything. The gameplay is different from previous sonic games you can choose to make sonic run really fast or make sonic walk
    Alot of people say it's like Mario galaxy
    Sonic Lost World to me is good game and my Second favorite sonic game.
    Alot of people say it's like Mario galaxy and I actually see it now.
    The game is not bad like glitches everywhere and stuff it's a playable game. Give it a try and see if u like it or not.
  20. Mar 22, 2014
    I wonder why people hate this game. I mean it's not perfect but it's not bad but I do happen to know who this game is for: If you like the classic sonic games where you earn your speed (like remembering the level design like how the genesis games worked), you want a little difficulty in your sonic game (this game is harder than most but now that a patch has released you should be showeredI wonder why people hate this game. I mean it's not perfect but it's not bad but I do happen to know who this game is for: If you like the classic sonic games where you earn your speed (like remembering the level design like how the genesis games worked), you want a little difficulty in your sonic game (this game is harder than most but now that a patch has released you should be showered with lives), If you have the patience to read the instruction manual (this game has a slight learning curve when it comes to getting used to the controls but trust me when you get used to them the controls are really good), and the final and most important thing you've got to remember this game is nothing like generations but more like the genesis games. Also you got to give it a chance if it frustrates you try again later because there is a lot of good in this game but you have got to understand some of these things. Expand
  21. May 31, 2014
    When i look at the other reiews, I feel like people are underating this game. But it's actually a pretty good game. yeah i know it has weird controlls but i got used to it. and it has a weird 3-D crap. but it has a good storyline, new characters, and some pretty neat stuff such as some awesome kick-ass moves and colors. but i can't beileve the score on this game i feel like it's soWhen i look at the other reiews, I feel like people are underating this game. But it's actually a pretty good game. yeah i know it has weird controlls but i got used to it. and it has a weird 3-D crap. but it has a good storyline, new characters, and some pretty neat stuff such as some awesome kick-ass moves and colors. but i can't beileve the score on this game i feel like it's so underated. but it's still a pretty good game which takes advantage of the Wii U Expand
  22. Dec 12, 2014
    you have stolen the words by my mouth, so:
    you have stolen the words by my mouth, so:
    As a lifetime fan of Sonic, I've seen him at his best and worst. Sonic Lost World is definitely one of Sonic's better 3-D offerings. The plot and storytelling are enjoyable. The game is stupendous from a visual and audio standpoint. The soundtrack is wholly fantastic, ranging from super rad to breathtakingly beautiful. The gameplay in SLW feels more faithful to Sonic's Genesis classics, both in concept and execution, than any 3-D Sonic offering to date. Rather than being the ridiculously fast "boost to win" Sonic of recent years, Lost World focuses on acceleration and maintaining momentum through skillful platforming, just like the old days. The level design compliments the control mechanics really well, with a subtle brilliance even. The game isn't perfect. The Wii-U exclusive features like wisps feel totally shoehorned in an unnecessary. As Sonic Team is often wont to do, the focus on creativity over refinement can really be frustrating at times. Difficulty spikes toward the end are infuriating. Some ideas just don't work and can take away the grin the good 80% of the game gives you. Boss battles are terrible in this game. Overall though, I think Sonic Lost World deserves a much better reception than what it has received from the press. It's easily as good as Sonic Colors and should not be missed if you're a Sonic fan.
  23. Dec 24, 2014
    Well Sonic Lost World the second best game that sega make every thing is good storyline is interesting new spindash new homing attack new attack homing kick,skydriving level's,graphic,gameplay,wisp are changed and upgraded and amazing game soundtrack,super sonic gameplay,dlc level hell dude everything! But the bosses is too easy so this made that game too easy so because of boss battle'sWell Sonic Lost World the second best game that sega make every thing is good storyline is interesting new spindash new homing attack new attack homing kick,skydriving level's,graphic,gameplay,wisp are changed and upgraded and amazing game soundtrack,super sonic gameplay,dlc level hell dude everything! But the bosses is too easy so this made that game too easy so because of boss battle's and final boss i can only give 9/10 but still looking for good sonic game were you can play with frends here ya go but still sonic colours is better. Expand
  24. Jan 22, 2015
    Sonic Lost World, in many ways, feels like the first truly 3D classic Sonic game to me. It has so much inspiration and creativity that I'm just bursting with happiness as I blaze through the colorful and adventurous worlds of the Lost Hex.
  25. Nov 3, 2013
    Honestly, I don't see the hate. The controls are extremely tight and the game is just hard enough to be a good platformer, graphics are good, the music is downright amazing, only thing I really have to complain is the color power controls. Otherwise, it's a great game.
  26. Nov 4, 2013
    Sonic Lost World is the greatest Sonic game I have ever played. The Controls are really great, the graphics are really beautiful, and level design is good. The bosses may be a disappointment but its still the greatest Sonic I've ever played. If reviewers are hating this they just don't know how they play it cause they're ignorant. this the Best Sonic game I've ever played, and one of theSonic Lost World is the greatest Sonic game I have ever played. The Controls are really great, the graphics are really beautiful, and level design is good. The bosses may be a disappointment but its still the greatest Sonic I've ever played. If reviewers are hating this they just don't know how they play it cause they're ignorant. this the Best Sonic game I've ever played, and one of the best Wii U Games I've Played so far. 10/10 Expand
  27. Nov 10, 2013
    This is a return to classic Sonic the Hedgehog. This is the 3.D. experience that is required in order for Sonic to feel as he did back in the days of Genesis/Mega Drive. Brilliant soundtrack and voice acting make Sonic Lost World feel how Sonic should be. Remember the attitude and cheesiness that Sonic used to have? It's back, and it has been done very well.
  28. May 20, 2014
    First of all, nice gameplay! You did a great Job innovating this idea of gameplay into the gaming world. The whole point and basic Idea was good, and the storyline was just as good! It was a great game with some innovative gameplay and great music and character description! I'll give a 10/10 for the innovation and gameplay as well as music and scenery! But there was one problem however,First of all, nice gameplay! You did a great Job innovating this idea of gameplay into the gaming world. The whole point and basic Idea was good, and the storyline was just as good! It was a great game with some innovative gameplay and great music and character description! I'll give a 10/10 for the innovation and gameplay as well as music and scenery! But there was one problem however, this was not a game for such a poor system as the Wii U! It would make more sense on next-gen consoles and PC than such a mess of a system! SEGA seems to be saving the WII U somewhat by giving it a chance to perform mediocre gameplay. The game, was amazing and well deserved a 10/10. The console the game was exclusive to, a mess. Good job on making a decent game on a crap system SEGA. I never thought anyone could pull that one off! I'll be relieved when Sonic moves over to the PS4 and XB1 as well as PC! That, will make him successful once more. Expand
  29. Nov 8, 2013
    I think this is a game that shows that SEGA is always going forward with Sonic series, the new mechanics are very good and i really want to see the next step. Very fun and interesting. Graphics are great, sound is awesome as always in Sonic games and Super Sonic is a good reason to replay the game. Totally recommended!
  30. Nov 1, 2013
    Sonic the Hedgehog has been quite the icon as of recent years. Hanging around for 22 years, the blue blur has drifted from Genesis Killer-App to Pop-Culture Icon. In 2013 comes Sonic's latest foray, Sonic: Lost World, a game that seeks to transform the character even further to help balance adrenaline and curiosity. Can Sonic go 3 for 3 on the Next-Gen Wii U, or will the blue streak breakSonic the Hedgehog has been quite the icon as of recent years. Hanging around for 22 years, the blue blur has drifted from Genesis Killer-App to Pop-Culture Icon. In 2013 comes Sonic's latest foray, Sonic: Lost World, a game that seeks to transform the character even further to help balance adrenaline and curiosity. Can Sonic go 3 for 3 on the Next-Gen Wii U, or will the blue streak break his streak?

Most people realize that the hedgehog's written plots aren't exactly works of Shakespeare, but this time they decided to have a little fun with the story to Lost World. Seeing Eggman, Sonic, and Tails interact with one another reveals a little bit about themselves, and they always have a one-liner afterwards. However, there are a couple holes in the plot. The wisps, making a return from Sonic Colors, are never explained why they're there, Knuckles and Amy play little to no role in the overall plot, and there can be a lot of cheesy lines. Fortunately, the plot does have its moments, with genuine character interaction, superb voice-work, and some points that can get a little dark. It's not exactly emmy-worthy, but for the blue blur himself, it's one of his better plots.

The layout for Lost World takes a lot after Sonic Colors, with a hexagon based map filled with the different levels you'll come across. Animals in this game act as collectables, and you'll need to collect them to unlock the later levels in the game. Fortunately, the amount you'll need won't have you running around for too long, and the carnival mini-games let you grab more than a handful of them. Red Medals also make a return, collectables that are hidden throughout each level. Some of them you'll have to think outside the box to find, but most of them are relatively harder to get than to find. Getting all the Red Medals will also provide for a very good bonus. There's certainly a lot to do in Lost World, but most of it will depend on how committed the player is to the game. While having a low time on a level is nice for bragging rights, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to do all the activities that the game wants you to do. But for the outgoing players who play everything the game has to offer, don't worry, this game certainly has a lot.

While the last few games expanded on a single style, Sonic: Lost World brings a whole new style to the table. Ditching the boost and re-learning the classic Spin Dash, Lost World takes a new idea into the speedy platformer. The Lost Hex not only contains an interesting landscape, but the levels are sporadically organized, and the first level has you traversing across cylindrical tubes suspended in mid-air. You can move completely around the tube without the fear of falling off. While these levels remind others of the exploits of Mario, the similarities begin and stop there, as the two couldn't be more different. These however aren't the only types of levels in the game, as the game sports several different types, enough to have you doing something different every level. Sonic now has three different speeds that one can activate by the press of a button. Sonic walks around at a smooth jog at all times, but holding down the ZR button will make him break into a run, with the ZL button being responsible for the Spin Dash. One last mechanic is Sonic's new acrobatic set of parkour abilities. Holding ZR on any landscape will have sonic wall-run, run straight up, jump between, or climb on any surface in the game.
    Being able to grab onto any surface saves the player from a lot of unfair fall deaths, letting them continue their run. However, the game isn't exactly the best teacher, leaving most of the mechanics to figure out to the player, and while the game embraces experimentation in the beginning, later levels can get a little unforgiving. Compounding the problems is the overabundance of automated sections, which take control away from the player. Some assortments of springs and speed boosters can last for as long as 30 seconds. The boss battles against the Deadly Six don't fare much better, where some battles are ridiculously easy, and others can drag on for a while until you figure out yourself how to beat them.

Sonic: Lost World takes on a new face with its graphical fidelity, ditching detailed textures and complex shadows for a more simplistic art style that's easy on the eyes. Every level in the game is bright and colorful, and each one has its own flavor. However, the crowning achievement of the game is a 1080p resolution at a perfect 60 fps. The music is some of the best in the field. You can trust the next sonic game to have a fantastic soundtrack most of the time, and this game certainly holds true to that philosophy. You'll find just about every genre in this game. Every level track is fantastic, and sometimes you'll be tempted just to stop and listen.

It does a lot of things right and can keep the player extremely happy through and through, but things can make the player quit outright.

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Sonic Lost World has its problems. The controls are imprecise and the difficulty somewhat uneven. But it is still one of the better Sonic games in later years with some great level design. It is not the best platform game out there but well worth a closer look.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    The best true Sonic in years. [Christmas 2013, p.83]
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    Sonic is no longer a good or even passable video game character.