7.9

1. Sep 12, 2014
    First I feel I must set a underlying description of what mood I was in when I started to play this game. I was bored out of my mind after playing super castlevania and metro redux. What I usually do when I can't think of anything that will tickle my pickle, I resort to checking out what indies are out on the console I spend the least time with. The wiiU has giving my pleasant surprisesFirst I feel I must set a underlying description of what mood I was in when I started to play this game. I was bored out of my mind after playing super castlevania and metro redux. What I usually do when I can't think of anything that will tickle my pickle, I resort to checking out what indies are out on the console I spend the least time with. The wiiU has giving my pleasant surprises before and snapped my boredom. It didn't let me down this time either.
    After seeing a post with the name TESLA-grad my ears turned up. I love Nicola Tesla and have been infatuated with his story both factual and unproven conspiratorial. I didn't even check a review seeing this was a brand new release.
    I was definitely not in a mood for platforming since I just finished getting through a chunk of super castlevania but that didn't even matter. This game is SO GOOD it sucked me right in. You can see I am not **** you by checking how many reviews I have written and how long they are. I am giving this the sweet time it deserves. No spoilers just a spit shine of your opinion towards this purchase.
    You know those games you put in and even when you die or get stuck your still completely in it. Your desire to succeed is never gone flaccid. The art is so cool I like taking my time section to section. I like noticing all the smaller details and the occasional artsy 'Easter egg'.
    The game play is do dope I will let u discover it without any type of description of what u do. The thing that had my loving this was the fact I had not idea how I was going to get through this game. The approach to this is best kept a surprise.
    I want to get back to it now. I wrote this while I was taking a **** YES THAT GOOD. I AM THINKING OF THE GAME WHILE I AM SQUATTING. Do yourself a favor and buy this. Puzzle platformer in a unique sexy adventure.
    Enjoy MEUS AMIGOS
  2. Sep 23, 2014
    I really want to like this game. The mechanics are fun, the artwork is done well. The way the story is presented by optional puppet shows is quite enjoyable. But the game is so short. Honestly, $15 and 2 hours of gameplay. Sure, you can spend extra time finding all of the scrolls, of which there are 36. But, to complete the game, you only need 15. I want more of this game, and I thoughtI really want to like this game. The mechanics are fun, the artwork is done well. The way the story is presented by optional puppet shows is quite enjoyable. But the game is so short. Honestly, $15 and 2 hours of gameplay. Sure, you can spend extra time finding all of the scrolls, of which there are 36. But, to complete the game, you only need 15. I want more of this game, and I thought I'd get a longer story for the price that I paid. If you are reading this after a price drop, then ignore what I say and pick this game up.. Expand
  3. Sep 30, 2014
    Developer Rain Games' first title for the Wii U is a delightful mixture of open-world 2D exploration, brain-bending electricity-based puzzles, and poignant storytelling.

The first immediately striking feature about Teslagrad are the insanely beautiful graphics. Characters are stylish 2D sprites, while the environments are nothing short of 3D-rendered marvels. This is especially pleasant since screenshots of the game definitely don't do it justice; you have to experience it in motion to fully appreciate the art style.

As far as the gameplay goes, you're tasked with the exploration of a massive tower, gathering new powers and solving puzzles along the way. The electricity and magnetism theme is at the game's heart, as the main character has to conquer each section by skillfully controlling the polarization of several different objects (represented by blue and red hues). If this sounds annoying, don't worry: it's generally a very well-implemented mechanic that eases you into the physics. Most puzzles, while hard, feature intuitive resolutions, although there are a few difficulty spikes here and there and two or three sections that can prove to be insane head-scratchers (Giant Bull room, I'm looking at you).

True to the electricity theme, the game features an ominous steampunk atmosphere that works wonders. This is also the perfect setting for the surprisingly engrossing story, which is told entirely by images and brief "stage play" sections. To get the entire picture, however, you'll have to track down several scrolls along the tower, which are the game's main collectibles. Getting all of the scrolls to reach the beautiful "true" ending is going to be quite the challenge; one that can be at the same time exciting and intimidating. Finally tracking down a cleverly hidden scroll feels great, but there are a few problems as well: for starters, the game lacks any sort of indication as to how many scrolls are left in each section, resulting in more trial and error than necessary. Furthermore, there isn't an easy way to quickly transverse previously beaten areas, which sometimes results in having to go through an entire section all over again just to use a newly-acquired power to get a single pesky scroll.

At around six hours to get everything, Teslagrad does feel a bit short, but the vast majority of the playtime is very rewarding. It's easy to see the amount of care put into every aspect of the game by the developers, which has resulted in another small classic for the Wii U e-Shop.

Rating: 8.5

1. Dec 9, 2014
    It’s not a bad game, it’s just not really anything.
  2. Nov 14, 2014
    Teslagrad is somewhat different from other proposals that rely on the gender "metroidvania" and these differences benefits all that come here.
  3. Thoughtful, pretty and just strange enough. [Christmas 2014, p.85]