8.3

1. Feb 7, 2015
    Beautifully rendered classic Zelda game, unique in both its art style and its open-ocean gameplay. So many remasters don't do much, but this one has crisp and beautiful graphics, plus small changes to gameplay to improve some small annoyances on an otherwise brilliant game.
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    IT LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL! THAT HD, OMG! On a more serious note: Besides looking really good in HD, fans who have either played or not played the original will still love this. It adds a few extra things and helpful tweaks to improve gameplay and decrease sailing time. It's still the same clever dungeons, beautiful art style and memorable characters as the original. 10/10 Must have for Wii U.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    I'll be honest, I skipped out GameCube when it came out because I was still playing the N64. However, that means that my experience of The Wind Waker HD had no nostalgia, yet it still was an amazing experience.
  4. Nov 2, 2016
    Graphics: 10 Sound: 9.5 Gameplay: 10 Fun/Story: 10

Graphics: 10 Sound: 9.5 Gameplay: 10 Fun/Story: 10

First: i´m not a cel shading fan. Of course i´m not saying that it´s bad, and it isn´t. Sometimes it´s beautiful. Second: i love zelda, and in that time i really wanted a realistic zelda. After all this game is big because it proved by itself that it´s a masterpiece. Nintendo proved with this game that it´s a company apart from the rest and i explain why: 10 years later i played this game on WiiU and the feeling was... Breathtaking
  5. Oct 27, 2013
    It's hard to pinpoint favorites in a franchise as storied as The Legend of Zelda, but I think The Wind Waker HD just might be it for me. This is a delightful experience from start to finish; one which miraculously manages to capture everything that makes Zelda games great, while adding new ideas and avoiding pretty much all of the pitfalls.

The cel-shaded graphics, which were full of

The cel-shaded graphics, which were full of personality to begin with, look positively stunning in HD. More than once I stopped playing for a few moments just to gaze with awe at the gorgeous 3D cartoonish sceneries. I've seen people complaining about how one detail or another doesn't look quite as good as the Gamecube version, but I call shenanigans: the lighting is better, the colors are more vibrant, everything looks just the way it should.

The game is set on the Great Sea, which is littered by islands of all types and sizes. At first, navigation is achieved mainly through the Wind Waker, a maestro's baton that controls the winds. Soon, however, savvy players will come across a special sail that is not only faster, but dispenses the use of the Wind Waker altogether, which makes exploration even more delightful. The storyline is very poignant; a nice surprise, since Zelda games tend to repeat themselves in this regard. I won't spoil anything, but suffice it to say that there's a tragic story behing the Great Sea and its people.

The gameplay is as tight as it gets, with a fluid combat system and amazing controls for Link's inevitable arsenal of weapons (the gamepad's gyroscope, for example, lets you aim by simply tilting the controller to one side or another). The dungeons are just the right size, offering plenty of challenges but always stopping short of becoming tedious. No longer will you have to suffer through chores like Ocarina of Time's Water Temple, for example.

The sidequests follow suit. In fact, the deviations from the main storyline here might just be the best the series has ever had. One of the game's most enduring sidequests tasks you to use the pictobox (this world's version of a photo camera) to take pictures of every single character you find, including townsfolk, allies, enemies, and bosses. Those pictures can then be transformed into figurines, which will fill several thematic rooms in one of the game's islands. If you're the collector type (like myself), you'll taste a little bit of heaven every time you come across a new character or a new breed of enemy.

Finally, the game's use of the Miiverse, Nintendo's exclusive social media, is the best I've ever seen. Once you get an item called the Tingle Bottle, you get to send messages-in-a-bottle that will then be found (and hopefully replied) by other people playing the game. Your letters can contain words, pictures, and drawings, and the fun is exponentially extended by simply hunting down bottles to interact with fellow players.

I keep wanting to further defy brevity by talking about numerous other assorted details, which should tell you just how impressed I am. Boasting insane levels of personality and a vast world filled to the brim with secrets, The Wind Waker HD shows that the little Gamecube title that could is, in fact, a timeless classic.

Rating: 10.0
  6. Oct 2, 2015
    Tier 3
    + Awesome world with a lot of visually interesting set pieces and environments
    + Generally fun gameplay with several interwoven mechanics + Cool designs of enemies, characters, and mechanics ? The game world is vast, but for the most part feels empty and isolating as opposed to large and alive - The level design is incredibly linear, in no way offering genuine exploration aside
    Tier 3
    + Awesome world with a lot of visually interesting set pieces and environments
    + Generally fun gameplay with several interwoven mechanics
    + Cool designs of enemies, characters, and mechanics
    - The level design is incredibly linear, in no way offering genuine exploration aside from looking for islands in the boat
    - Progression through the world is often tedious, with many challenges and story requirements forcing a lot of uninteresting travel downtime
    - Story feels arbitrary and generic, even for a Zelda game; the reveal of Zelda especially feels forced and totally random
  7. Nov 23, 2013
    The Wind Waker has always been one of the true greats from Nintendo's frankly wonderful Zelda franchise, but now it's something even more...it's the Wii U's first genuine system seller and it's an absolute belter!

Indeed, Wind Waker HD is as perfect a game as you're ever likely to find, and whether you're a Wii U owner or not, it is utterly essential.
  8. Sep 21, 2013
    A really beautiful work of art. Many people were wondering how you make cel animation compatible with HD. Well here you go. They also took all the flaws of the original Wind Waker and ACTUALLY addressed them. Superb. My favorite Zelda game in a VERY long time.
  9. Mar 6, 2014
    Still holds up better than 90% of everything released today. The HD and the little refinements are just the gravy on top. Could have used an inverted camera for 3rd person and shifting wind directions can be annoying at times, but that is all I can really hammer it for. Now gimme a brand new Zelda, Nintendo.
  10. Oct 29, 2013
    The Wind Waker initially disappointed me a decade ago on the GameCube with it's more colourful presentation and less impressive gameplay elements compared to the unbeatable Ocarina of Time but the rejuvenation on the WiiU impresses with many other issues addressed. The general pacing and overall gameplay mechanics have been considerably tweaked which makes the flow of the game moreThe Wind Waker initially disappointed me a decade ago on the GameCube with it's more colourful presentation and less impressive gameplay elements compared to the unbeatable Ocarina of Time but the rejuvenation on the WiiU impresses with many other issues addressed. The general pacing and overall gameplay mechanics have been considerably tweaked which makes the flow of the game more satisfying as opposed to a once occasionally dull affair. The AI and combat seem much more polished and the irritating sea exploration has been vastly improved. Still not on par with the likes of Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword which may raise eyebrows as to why Nintendo are looking backwards as opposed to forwards but we can be guaranteed more Zelda titles in the future and this is a nice HD reworking of a title that wasn't perfect but just needed the odd-tweak and we now have a fine product. Expand
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    There’s nothing quite like the slick sailing of the Great Sea’s vast waters, the scream of a defeated Moblin or the charming toon graphic style of the Wind Waker, and this HD remake enhances everything you loved about the original yet further. What’s so admirable about Nintendo’s effort here is that beyond the HD treatment, there is still so much they have done to improve Link’sThere’s nothing quite like the slick sailing of the Great Sea’s vast waters, the scream of a defeated Moblin or the charming toon graphic style of the Wind Waker, and this HD remake enhances everything you loved about the original yet further. What’s so admirable about Nintendo’s effort here is that beyond the HD treatment, there is still so much they have done to improve Link’s sixth-generation adventure and add so much more to it than was there before.
    The most obvious enhancement of the Wind Waker is the HD. What looked great originally is not only improved but given more life. The character and enemy models and the landscapes look so much more 3D and full of life and personality. Upon approaching Windfall Island from the distance you’ll be amazed how much HD has benefited the game. Admittedly, some of it looks stuck in the past but problems in the visuals are rare. Of course, the reason the toon style was originally chosen was because of the fantastic way it brought across the atmosphere and characters’ expressions. The impressionist style makes the enemies look spectacular and interesting: Moblins are easily recognisable as stupid, for example.
    The music, needless to say, is excellent.
    Meanwhile, the story is simple but effective, and for once actually Ganon’s evil attentions are something you can sympathise with, not just a thirst for power and control.
    For anyone who hasn’t played a Zelda game before, it is a mix of puzzles, combat and exploration. As in any other Zelda game, the Wind Waker features multiple dungeons, maze-like puzzle areas littered with cleverly placed enemies. The dungeons are always cleverly worked into the plot of the game. Needless to say, the Wind Waker’s dungeons are intricate, genius and great fun. The puzzles are challenging and often get you stuck. The Wind Waker has an excellent combat system, perhaps the best of all Zeldas except for Skyward Sword’s revolutionary sword-swinging. The target lock system Zeldas are praised for makes a big difference in making combat as strategic as possible without ever being unfair.
    The exploration outside of dungeons is a big part of Zelda too, and what a world to explore the Great Sea is. Nearly fifty islands, all with different characters, secrets and landscapes, litter the Great Sea. There are many side quests for rewards such as pieces of heart, treasure charts and more, and are more than enough to keep the hardcore 100% completionist occupied. Side quests included, the Wind Waker is a good solid thirty hours of gameplay at least, obviously quicker for those who played the original.
    Beyond the HD refinement, this remake does much, much more. There is a new mode, hero mode like in Skyward Sword- enemies do double damage and you can’t find hearts in plants or pots. For those who complained of Wind Waker being easy, which it is a bit, hero mode is an excellent challenge, perfect for people who completed the original and also great for newcomers to Wind Waker looking for a challenge. It’s no master quest like Ocarina of Time’s remake included (which is a shame) but I appreciate its inclusion nonetheless.
    Another improvement is the Swift Sail, which increases the speed of your boat. Some gamers complained of sailing getting slow and tedious after a while. This was of course due to the gamecube’s slower processing power, but because the wii u is much more powerful, sailing is faster, smoother, and a whole lot of fun. It really adds to the exploration element of the adventure.
    Also, the Triforce quest towards the end of the game has been streamlined. Originally, this had required the player to go sailing about the Great Sea using a map to locate the eight shards of the broken Triforce of Courage and get all eight from under the water. This was very tedious and took a possible hour to do, really damaging the pace of the game. But this has been streamlined so that five of the eight are found in mini-dungeons on certain islands, leaving only three to be found in the sea. This really is a great improvement and has changed the Triforce quest from being a lowlight of the game to, for me, being one the highlights. It’s disappointing that most of the mini-dungeons are only composed of just lots of rooms, each full with enemies, with no puzzles. But they are fun challenges regardless of that.
    And wii u integration. Now, your inventory of items and the map of the area or dungeon you’re in are all on the gamepad, meaning faster, easier access to everything without needing to pause the game every time you want to see your inventory or map. As well as this, you can aim projectile items using the Gamepad’s motion sensing, allowing for improved precision. Also is miiverse integration.
    The Wind Waker HD goes the extra mile to make an awesome game even more awesome. If you played the original you simply must get this to experience the game in a new way. If you haven’t played the original, you have an even greater need to play one of the greatest games ever.
  12. Sep 5, 2015

+ Character personality
    + Amazing enemy design

- Frame rate dips 30fps
  13. Jan 27, 2014
    This is hands down the best HD remake of any game I have ever played. The cell shaded goodness will warm your heart. The Wii U gamepad support for this game is great and the game sound is stellar. The original game was actually pretty hard to beat due to the slow sailing and finding of the Triforce shards. But they fixed this problem and I was actually able to beat this game for the firstThis is hands down the best HD remake of any game I have ever played. The cell shaded goodness will warm your heart. The Wii U gamepad support for this game is great and the game sound is stellar. The original game was actually pretty hard to beat due to the slow sailing and finding of the Triforce shards. But they fixed this problem and I was actually able to beat this game for the first time since I played it on the Gamecube. Awesome game you won't be disapointed. I have noticed all the 10 this game has. It was very close but I did not achieve "total immersion" for me to give it a 10. Expand
  14. Mar 16, 2014
    This improves on the original in every way. The original was already worth AT LEAST a 9, so it follows that this is a 10. I couldn't ask for a better remake of a classic Zelda adventure. Everyone should get an opportunity to play this game, even if you've never played a Zelda game in your life.

Like an LoZ game, there is a huge amount of bang for your buck. This game will last many hours, and while it isn't perfect, it gets about as close as you can get.
  15. Sep 21, 2013
    I am so glad Nintendo decided to remake this game. I love Hero mode enemies deal twice the damage and hearts do not appear during gameplay. The only way to replenish your health is through potions an excellent challenge! Now that it's in HD and everything is fixed near the end of the story, there is absolutely NO reason for any Wii U owner not to own this game! A masterpiece. 10/10
  16. Feb 7, 2015
    Without a doubt one of the best games ever. And probably the best remake ever, too. Everything also appears fixed in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. The graphics are incredible, the story is amazing and the gameplay is fun and exciting. A true Wii U masterpiece. 10/10
  17. Nov 27, 2013
    The legend of zelda wind waker was a classic on the gamecube that was under appreciated because of its art direction,however, i was not among those who looked down on this masterpiece. Instead i gave it a try and what i discovered was an amazing game! Enter wind waker reborn on the wii u. This game is simply amazing. Everthing has been redon and refined into an almost complete package! TheThe legend of zelda wind waker was a classic on the gamecube that was under appreciated because of its art direction,however, i was not among those who looked down on this masterpiece. Instead i gave it a try and what i discovered was an amazing game! Enter wind waker reborn on the wii u. This game is simply amazing. Everthing has been redon and refined into an almost complete package! The gameplay is simple,yet enenthralling,the graphics rival an animated movie! Its everything you loved about wind waker on the gamecube plus more! The gamepad works very well with wind waker making item and weapon management a breeze. The only hiccup i have with this game is the sailing,itcan get rather tedious after awhile but dammint the ocean looks aabsolutely marvelous so there a silver lining. This game was made for nintendo fans so don't pass this classic up! 9/10 Expand
  18. Mar 5, 2014
    As I was playing through The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, I thought that it was all a bit too easy. Like it was just me just going through the motions. Which was fine, but I felt like it was lacking that something special. But the further I got through the game, the more I realised I couldn't have been more wrong. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a phenomenal game with itsAs I was playing through The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, I thought that it was all a bit too easy. Like it was just me just going through the motions. Which was fine, but I felt like it was lacking that something special. But the further I got through the game, the more I realised I couldn't have been more wrong. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a phenomenal game with its classic Zelda patterns involving a tonne of puzzles and loads of combat. It's that gentle mix of linear and open, making it alluring for those who love a good story as well as those who love to roam around. Although there is a little bit of hand-holding at times, it is generally only in times when the next step isn't so clear. As such, this did not detract from the quality of the adventure in the least. The Wind Waker HD offers many different objectives and side quests, from gathering pigs to taming seagulls to winning auctions. And every character is just bursting with flavour and personality, courtesy of the cel-shaded art style. I have played only two Zelda games prior to this one: Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword. These two and The Wind Waker HD have that elaborate adventure that binds the player to the environments with its great authenticity and depth. And its my personal opinion that The Wind Waker HD does this the best of the three. Nothing really compares to venturing on the sea like a pirate, searching for loot and invaluable objects. If a single fibre of your being is even curious about what The Wind Waker HD has to offer, buy a copy of it immediately. There is seriously no adventure like a Zelda adventure, and you will not regret getting it. Expand
  19. Mar 25, 2014
    like alot of people i did not like Wind Waker when it was new, the art style bothered me and i had a hunger for a more mature HD zelda game after my taste of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. But now i'm older, and my eyes are opened to the greatness of this game. It has a great plot with lots of twists and turns that will leave you on the edge of your seat, a beautiful HD world to saillike alot of people i did not like Wind Waker when it was new, the art style bothered me and i had a hunger for a more mature HD zelda game after my taste of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. But now i'm older, and my eyes are opened to the greatness of this game. It has a great plot with lots of twists and turns that will leave you on the edge of your seat, a beautiful HD world to sail through, the countless enemies you'll encounter and defeat throughout your journey, and a nostalgia factor to the MAX. To be honest, other than not having a mini-map on the screen i dont have much to complain about this game. Expand
  20. Feb 20, 2017
    This game improves on the original: the graphics are better, the camera is better, the controls are better, and the gamepad is an extremely useful addition because it allows you to swap the items in your inventory around without having to pause the game. The only problems I had with the original game have been mostly fixed: the sailing doesn't bore me or take too long anymore thanks to theThis game improves on the original: the graphics are better, the camera is better, the controls are better, and the gamepad is an extremely useful addition because it allows you to swap the items in your inventory around without having to pause the game. The only problems I had with the original game have been mostly fixed: the sailing doesn't bore me or take too long anymore thanks to the new quick sail and the tedious Triforce hunt has been (mostly) reduced to only 3 charts. This game is simply amazing and an incredible experience on the wii u. Expand
  21. Nov 17, 2015
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD is a game that you should not miss, whether you’ve played the original or not. It’s truly an experience of a lifetime. The game boasts a memorable story, an incredible sense of adventure and exploration, quirky characters, satisfying combat, breathtaking visuals, harmonious music and much more. There just isn’t much to complain about. The sense ofThe Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD is a game that you should not miss, whether you’ve played the original or not. It’s truly an experience of a lifetime. The game boasts a memorable story, an incredible sense of adventure and exploration, quirky characters, satisfying combat, breathtaking visuals, harmonious music and much more. There just isn’t much to complain about. The sense of adventure is simply awe-inspiring and once you begin, you won;t want to put the controller down. Nintendo is still the master of making fun games. They don’t have to be violent or have Oscar-winning performances. As a matter of fact, I think we need to evaluate our view of games in that sense. There are a vast majority of genres these days. Adventure, shooter, racing, action, fighting and also we’re seeing an emergence of movie-like experiences with Beyond Two Souls. Wind Waker HD is one of the classic action-adventure types that we have always loved. It’s kid and adult friendly. It’s truly an incredible game that you should not pass up. Yes, this game alone is worth purchasing a Wii U, so what are you waiting for? Expand
  22. Nov 4, 2013
    I loved the original game because it was pretty much not stop action. This one is basically the same but the graphics blow you into another universe. Goes without saying: Wii U has superior controls!
  23. Jun 21, 2015
    A great zelda game bytheway...This time in high definition. Funny game with a certain challenge. Not the best zelda anyway, but great game after all. Amazing gameplay, sound na graphics. A "must buy" game.
  24. Oct 1, 2015
    Sometimes you play an HD remake it you realise it hasn't aged well. Nintendo did a great job applying a fresh coat of paint to a must play classic for any WII U owner.

With slight tweaks to the interface and minor gameplay changes, I enjoyed this game every bit as much as I did back on the GAMECUBE.
  25. Oct 17, 2013
    Zelda wind waker HD is an amazing remake of a brilliant game the graphics gameplay presentation and replay value are nearly perfect Exploring the world to save zelda and aryll is incredible it's easy to pick up and play it's a lot of fun and I recommend it to everyone
  26. Aug 28, 2016
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a great Zelda title with an amazing story and great graphics. The only downside is that a large majority of the map is water, so it takes a really long time to sail to different islands.
  27. Feb 21, 2015
    This game is just another complete rip-off of angry birds. The game itself is exactly the same except the graphics quality is much lower and the gameplay is significantly less user friendly.
  28. Jun 5, 2014
    An easier game in the Legend of Zelda franchise, but still extremely fun. The game-pad was very useful and cool as it was used for your map and items and so you didn't need to pause the game and go to a separate screen just to check the map quick or switch an item. Anyone from any age would enjoy this game.
  29. PMG
    Jan 25, 2014
    I love this game! The art style allows the characters to show off so much color, the swift sail is a must have and the use of the Game pad speeds up the pace of the game. Plus the shortening of the Triforce hunt saved us from some of the worst hours of the game. Dispite what people might say, i think this is one of the best games ever made.
  30. Nov 25, 2015
    This was the first time I played Wind Waker and it was a very great experience! I loved the game so much as I was playing. The whole sailing was confusing at first but I managed to get used to it. very great game and is my 2nd favorite Zelda game ever!
  31. Oct 21, 2013
    The Wind Waker is a great game. The HD updated graphics, added gamepad features (easily accessible menus), and small tweaks to gameplay all make this Nintendo classic even better. I highly recommend this game to all Wii U owners, it is a must-buy for anyone who missed the original, and a worthy purchase for those of you (like me) who played it a decade ago.
  32. Nov 24, 2013
    What can I say about this game.... I mean its a freakin zelda game!!! When has this franchise ever done anybody wrong?

Windwaker was a great game on gamecube, so there's not much of a difference there on Wii U. There is less quest for triforce shards and they changed up the pictobox to make it less tasking. For those who have never played it, I would say this is a must. I

For those who have never played it, I would say this is a must. I remember when this was on gamecube and I was very disgusted at first by its toonie graphics mainly because I was expecting a Zelda game that had graphics to where it looked like Lord of the rings. You know what? I learned a valuable lesson in that game to not judge a game by its graphics because that game was the most fun in a Zelda game in a long while.

Only reason I give this a 9 is because its an HD remake not a new Zelda game and its also not the HD remake I was hoping for. I honestly believed Majora's Mask was the HD remake with all the videos on youtube which was the main reason I wanted a Wii u, but you know what I understand why they remade windwaker.

Its the most non-linear Zelda to play, so they wanted to test the grounds with a big open world and communicate with players with tingle bottles to get a jist of what Zelda fans are wanting new in the series. Windwaker has the largest map out of all the zelda games.

So I will say yes this game before was good and this one is good too. In fact this is only the tip of the Iceberg of the Zelda upcomming in the future. So after you beat this I'll guarantee it'll get you more pumped for the newest one coming out
  33. Mar 16, 2015
    Eigentlich wusste ich schon etwaig , wie die Story ablaufen wird , da ich schon ein Let's Play dazu angeschaut habe , trotzdem konnte mich das Spiel dermaßen überzeugen in Punkto Freiheit und Gameplay , dass ich einfach 10 Punkte hergeben musste . Dieses Game steht auf Platz 5 meiner Top Zeldas , was aber eher positiv gesehen werden sollte ;) Das einzigste , was wirklich genervt hat , warEigentlich wusste ich schon etwaig , wie die Story ablaufen wird , da ich schon ein Let's Play dazu angeschaut habe , trotzdem konnte mich das Spiel dermaßen überzeugen in Punkto Freiheit und Gameplay , dass ich einfach 10 Punkte hergeben musste . Dieses Game steht auf Platz 5 meiner Top Zeldas , was aber eher positiv gesehen werden sollte ;) Das einzigste , was wirklich genervt hat , war das Geisterschiff zu finden . Die Triforcesuche wurde zwar verbessert , aber das hat mich dann schon echt aufgeregt . Neue Features wie das rote Segel oder die Tingleflaschen haben den Spielverlauf spannender und flüssiger gemacht , also kann ich nur sagen , dass dies ein gelungener Port war ^-^ Expand
  34. Oct 18, 2013
    zelda wind waker is one of the best Zelda games ever created, the original game for the gamecube was already fantastic gameplay, grafics and story now on WiiU zelda still impeccable, everything in the gameis very impressive
    nintendo once again surprising everyone
    you need to buy this game
  35. Jul 31, 2014
    The original game was one of my favourites on the Gamecube. This remake recaptures the magic and looks a lot better on my TV than the old gamecube one does!
  36. Aug 18, 2016
    my favorite zelda game toon link cute my favorite zelda game toon link cute my favorite zelda game toon link cute my favorite zelda game toon link cute
  37. Oct 2, 2013
    This is everything a remake should be. It keeps the entire essence of the original while at the same time fixing so many of the problems that the original did have. It didn't try to distance itself too far, but it also improved on itself. This is as perfectly as a remake really can be done.
  38. Oct 16, 2013
    I never played the original but I am loving this game. The graphics look great for a remake but are still showing their age in some places (NPC character models are rough in some places you can tell that the main characters had a lot more time spent on them). A huge world to explore but the pacing of the campaign is so consistent and fun that you may forget to explore while catapultingI never played the original but I am loving this game. The graphics look great for a remake but are still showing their age in some places (NPC character models are rough in some places you can tell that the main characters had a lot more time spent on them). A huge world to explore but the pacing of the campaign is so consistent and fun that you may forget to explore while catapulting yourself towards your next goal. Countless charming characters and an unforgettable storyline make this one of my favorite entries in the series. a must own for Zelda fans but perhaps a bit pricey for ppl who are still on the fence ($50 is pretty steep for a remake). The "message in a bottle" MiiVerse functionality is fun and well implemented. Also, the selfie pics can be a lot of fun (see linkstagram on twitter). Expand
  39. Jan 27, 2014
    Wind Waker is a good game, but this remake felt a bit... Off.
    There are barely any changes at all, I was expecting smoother transition between cutscenes, as well as cutscenes that were less dramatic as they should've been.
    Wind Waker is a good game, but this remake felt a bit... Off.
    Graphics are good, but there are still little problems that bug me, such as when the player uses the swift sail, the boat will rock up and down more, which causes water to 'go through' the bottom of the boat, and that just looked sloppy.
    That aside, Wind Waker is a great game which can be both relaxing and demanding, it's not so hard that I rage at my controller, and it's not quite a pushover either.
  40. Oct 27, 2014
    An excellent combat system is Wind Waker's biggest strength, offering tactical and precise fights with a very nice variety of enemies. Gorgeous design and overall interesting puzzles are abundant as well, but you may be patient with the very tedious sailing mechanic, which is very important in this game.
  41. Sep 21, 2013
    HOW REMAKES SHOULD BE MADE.

I know nintendo shouldn't be pulling a sony by releasing a bunch of straight up remakes for a console that needs exclusives but this game is jaw dropping
  42. Dec 3, 2015
    This game man. This game. Could consider it either tied for my favourite Zelda game with Twilight Princess, or at least second or third favourite.

Graphics - amazing. Yeah the Wii U is not powerful at all, yada yada, but this art style is timeless. So charming and just beautiful. Had to stop and admire the eye candy many times during my playthrough. Story - emotional, funny, but also

Story - emotional, funny, but also bittersweet (mainly talking about the ending here). The concept of Hyrule being flooded lends itself to some great storytelling, and the characterisation of most characters is so well done. Link, Tetra, Ganondorf, and Medli stand out to me.

Gameplay - your typical Zelda experience, which means great puzzles and item usage followed with engaging combat. Never was bored of whacking enemies (except those goddamn magician-bird thingos).

So yeah, overall, I just wish that I could have played WW as a kid on GameCube, had I had one. I mean, seriously, I'm gonna be thinking about it for a long time. Thank the heavens for The Legend of Zelda.
  43. LBC
    Oct 31, 2013
    All of the biggest flaws from the original game have been nicely ironed out. The best improvement in my opinion is the revamped aiming system. Now you can walk around in first person view while aiming and you can even use the gyroscope to fine-tune your shots; a welcome addition indeed! If you missed out on Wind Waker the first time around, now is your chance to experience a true masterpiece.
  44. Sep 29, 2013
    One of the finest adventure games tweaked and remastered make this a no-brainer for Wind Waker newcomers and a fantastic nostalgia ride as well. Pleasantly surprised that this game is the best gaming experience that I have had this year.
  45. Oct 30, 2013
    The definite version of one of the greatest games of all time. A classic game that will be forever a gem in the nintendo gallery. A must-have game for everyone.
  46. Oct 19, 2014
    The original was already my favorite Zelda ever, but they found a way to improve it in the remake. the graphics are the BEST hands down graphics I've seen in 8th generation. and the lack of triforce chart hunts takes away the back and forth I found annoying in the original.
  47. Jul 22, 2014
    This game sucks and I don't get why anybody ever liked it. There is so little actual content, and so much of what you do is just a pointless workaround. I can't speak for the whole game, because I only played the first two dungeons but they were both really lame and short and I'm tired of tooling around in a stupid looking talking boat. The graphics and controls are great and I really likeThis game sucks and I don't get why anybody ever liked it. There is so little actual content, and so much of what you do is just a pointless workaround. I can't speak for the whole game, because I only played the first two dungeons but they were both really lame and short and I'm tired of tooling around in a stupid looking talking boat. The graphics and controls are great and I really like the art style actually. I really liked Spirit Tracks so the art style doesn't bother me at all. I really wish I could like this game, but I have better **** to do than to try and appreciate a game that is just simply not a good game. To me a Zelda game has to have fun dungeons and getting shot out of a seed pod repeatedly is not my idea of fun. Expand
  48. Jan 27, 2014
    If you didn't play this on GameCube, now's your chance. No other game comes close to the sense of adventure this one gives while sailing the vast seas. The graphics are superb and the gameplay hasn't aged at all. One of the best games of all time just got better. 10/10
  49. Mar 13, 2015
    This is a great game hampered by a few flaws.

The Good: -Beautiful cell-shaded art design makes the game pop, visually. -The controls are mostly spot-on. -Story is captivating, even if it takes some detours. -Each new island you explore is unique and introduces new items/gameplay elements to be used for the rest of the game. -Combat/sword fights are fun and surprisingly
    This is a great game hampered by a few flaws.

The Good:

-Beautiful cell-shaded art design makes the game pop, visually.

-The controls are mostly spot-on.

-Story is captivating, even if it takes some detours.

-Combat/sword fights are fun and surprisingly complex.

-Creativity and charm ooze from this game.

-Side quests give the game replay value.

-The characters--in particular Link--have very expressive facial animations. This pretty much makes up for the lack of recorded dialog.

The Bad:

-No recorded dialog....it's all text, so get ready to read when you're playing this game.

-There is no autosave and when you DO save and reload at a later time, it starts you at the BEGINNING of the level you're in every time. It's possible to spend 10 minutes or more just to get back to where you were when you autosaved. Apparently they forgot to update the save system from the 2002 Gamecube original. The game SHOULD just load at the exact spot where you saved or a nearby checkpoint--which many games do these days. But it doesn't. This is the game's biggest flaw.

-The camera angle needs to be adjusted all the time. It's manageable, but can be slightly irritating.

-Much of the time, you're given clues as to where you should go/what you should be doing through speech with other characters. However, there are times where the game really doesn't give you enough to go on and expects you to figure it out. It's like the exact opposite of games like Call of Duty, games that 'hold your hand' and give you hints as if you're an idiot. In these moments, if you're like me you'll break down and watch a YouTube playthrough of that particular section to figure out what the game should've been more clear about.

-Although it technically is an open-world game, you aren't allowed to just wander out into the world within 20 minutes of starting the game. It's not a Fallout/GTA/Far Cry type of open world. It's closer to a Super Mario Brothers type of open world where you're only allowed to replays levels you've already been to, if only to look for other quests/stuff that you either missed or haven't unlocked yet.

I recommend this game to die-hard RPG fans who can stomach some of the more frustrating aspects of this game. There's a great game to behold in there, but at times it can be buried in a lot of **** Just know what you're getting yourself into.
  50. Aug 16, 2014
    I believe that this is the single best Zelda game ever. Forget a Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask, this is what Zelda should be like. By far my favorite game on Wii u (and I have A LOT of games), and a must-buy for anyone seeking an adventure. The dungeons are clever, the atmosphere is great, the world is huge, the items are cool, the story is memorable, and most ofI believe that this is the single best Zelda game ever. Forget a Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask, this is what Zelda should be like. By far my favorite game on Wii u (and I have A LOT of games), and a must-buy for anyone seeking an adventure. The dungeons are clever, the atmosphere is great, the world is huge, the items are cool, the story is memorable, and most of all, the exploration never ends. Buy it now! Expand
  51. Jul 8, 2016
    El concepto de belleza hecho videojuego. Una aventura llena de sentimientos y épica con tu barquito navegando por el mar, descubriendo hasta el último rincón de cada isla. Una narrativa genial, jugabilidad digna de la saga Zelda y ciertas mejoras respecto al original.
  52. Dec 14, 2015
    i don't understand people caring as much about graphics as they do these days. i mean, i like looking at pretty things too, but, seriously, no one should ever demand for a game to look better than this. it is gorgeous, colorful, fun, outstanding. even the long stretches you spend sailing alone, which had to be put there in order for the game to load areas before you get to them, i thinki don't understand people caring as much about graphics as they do these days. i mean, i like looking at pretty things too, but, seriously, no one should ever demand for a game to look better than this. it is gorgeous, colorful, fun, outstanding. even the long stretches you spend sailing alone, which had to be put there in order for the game to load areas before you get to them, i think work in the game's advantage. this feels like a real adventure, and sometimes you're alone and lost in a huge ocean. may be the closest i've ever felt to being a hero. Expand
  53. Oct 3, 2013
    One of the best games ever made and now in HD with hero mode. That enough has me sold. Throw in gameplay tweaks and off tv play, and I believe this is exactly what we need while waiting for zelda wiiu!
  54. Oct 2, 2013
    This remake is a must have for anyone with a Wii U, no matter if you already played the original or not.
    So, just go buy this amazing game now people.
  55. Oct 25, 2013
    A good game in the series. Its not on the same level as Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, which offers both the colourful and happy environments, combined with the dark and mystic. The more "cartoonish" art style is a fun contribution to the series along with Skyward Sword, but Im really hoping the next Wii U Zelda will be more realistic, like OOT and TP (the best selling in theA good game in the series. Its not on the same level as Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, which offers both the colourful and happy environments, combined with the dark and mystic. The more "cartoonish" art style is a fun contribution to the series along with Skyward Sword, but Im really hoping the next Wii U Zelda will be more realistic, like OOT and TP (the best selling in the series). Im also hoping that it the graphics will improve. The gameplay and stories are fantastic, but both WWHD and SM3D Land are very small in size, because of the low res textures. SM3D Land had a nice polygon count, with nice round shapes, which WWHD lacked. I think we need a new big open world Zelda which gives us both a great story and a serves as a showcase of the Wii Us graphical potential. But as we wait for that, I think this is a good game to keep you satisfied for a little longer! Expand
  56. Aug 24, 2014
    Since its original release in 2003, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker arrives to the Wii U in HD. The original Gamecube version still looks great today, but in HD? This almost looks like what Wind Waker was meant to be like, its gorgeous!!! The best edition is the Wii U gamepad which acts as a map and a inventory. It works really well since now you don't have to keep pausing to check theSince its original release in 2003, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker arrives to the Wii U in HD. The original Gamecube version still looks great today, but in HD? This almost looks like what Wind Waker was meant to be like, its gorgeous!!! The best edition is the Wii U gamepad which acts as a map and a inventory. It works really well since now you don't have to keep pausing to check the map or switch an item. Another edition is the tingle bottle which lets you send messages through Miiverse and lets other players find the messages on land or at sea. Nintendo has received some complaints about the original Gamecube version that the sailing took to long. Nintendo answered these complaints and add the Swift Sail. The Swift Sail doubles your boats speed and forces the wind to follow your boat. The only thing though is that the Swift Sail is hidden away for you to find. Being the nice person I am, be sure to check out Windfall Island's auction house as soon as possible. Wind Waker HD is a must-play for people who want to relive childhood memories or any newcomers to the Zelda franchise. Expand
  57. Dec 3, 2013
    Windwaker for Gamecube was my favorite Zelda. WIndwaker HD for Wii U takes every complaint about the original and makes it a superb adventure game. The graphics are sharper than any Zelda to date. If you own a Wii U you must own this game despite whether you have played it before or not.
  58. Apr 13, 2014
    I Don't consider myself as one of the best reviewers, but come on? People giving this game a 3 and such ridiculous scores, is well, ridiculous. I read an interesting review about someone saying the game belongs in 2002 and he proceeded to give it a 3. Wait just a second......Since when did the creators say it was anything but a HD version of the original game, with a few extras? The answerI Don't consider myself as one of the best reviewers, but come on? People giving this game a 3 and such ridiculous scores, is well, ridiculous. I read an interesting review about someone saying the game belongs in 2002 and he proceeded to give it a 3. Wait just a second......Since when did the creators say it was anything but a HD version of the original game, with a few extras? The answer is...Never!

Miyamoto himself stated, it was just something to tick people over, until the release of the next proper Zelda game in the franchise. It was never meant to be a "Remake" or a completely new Wind Waker. It was just solely meant to be a HD version of the original, nothing more.

Now that's out of the way. What's the game like? Well, as usual, it's nothing short of amazing. The game in 2002 was amazing, and the game now is also amazing. I could finish it over and over, and I proceeded to do so, even with the original.

The graphics are amazing. I don't know if people realize this, but it's actual the first Zelda game to ever have such amazing graphics. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's the first ever Zelda game to be in HD. Sure it's a beautiful game to look at, but graphics don't quite make a game, do they? But, with that said, it truly is a masterpiece, graphics, story, length, gameplay. It's all got it, just like the original.

What's the downside? Every game has a down side, whether you accept it or not. It's difficult to think of one for this, besides I'm sure the down sides will be exactly the same as the original, so I won't even get into them, but I will say. It is nothing more than a HD version of the original. It's definitely a must to buy for any Zelda fan, but if you're happy with the original, don't expect for HD to bring anything new to the table, besides a few extra in game things and a small proportion of online activity. If you weren't too fussed with the original, you won't be too fussed with this one.

All in all, majority of Zelda games are amazing as usual, to me this game and I'm sure many others agree, definitely deserves a 9.
  59. Aug 8, 2014
    If you like the original game, you are going to love this, is HOW REMAKES SHOULD BE MADE, as easy as that, if we could play classic games in HD 1080 we will be happy forever.
  60. Sep 30, 2014
    This is a beautiful remake that really is a blast to play. Windwaker has at least 50 hours worth of content and is worth the full $60. The gameplay is addicting and the newly added super sail really makes going for 100% a lot less tedious. Every Wii U own should have this in their library, especially if they've never played the original. I give it my full recommendation.
  61. Dec 29, 2014
    A classic revisited. It is true that The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD was an time buyier for the Zelda fans until the Wii U exclusive, but the visuals, the Miiverse incursion, and the happiness to sail again in this big sea makes a delicious adventure cake. If you didnt played the Game Cube version, this is your chance to face one of the best games of the franchise.
  62. Jun 26, 2016
    What can you say about a game that would need to follow legends like Ocarina and Majora's Mask? At first I was not convinced about the cartoon look but within a few minutes I found myself as engrossed in this game as in all of its predecessors, having played every single Zelda game there is, and played them out, this is a must have on the Wii U, you have not seen a game and how game playWhat can you say about a game that would need to follow legends like Ocarina and Majora's Mask? At first I was not convinced about the cartoon look but within a few minutes I found myself as engrossed in this game as in all of its predecessors, having played every single Zelda game there is, and played them out, this is a must have on the Wii U, you have not seen a game and how game play should be unless you have seen this game. Expand
  63. LHy
    Sep 29, 2013
    Love it so much, wish they would transfer to PC for a bigger market though. Other than that, the mechanics were really smooth and the world was not only bright and colorful but full of mystery and challenges, I highly recommend this game, get it!
  64. Mar 11, 2014
    One of the best Wii U games, and legend of zelda games, i've ever played. Truly a cult classic, beautifully remastered for the 8th generation of consoles, all while keeping the original feeling of the game intact, even improving it a little bit. Although i've never played the original GameCube version, i can clearly see that even back in its original years, this game was great. As for theOne of the best Wii U games, and legend of zelda games, i've ever played. Truly a cult classic, beautifully remastered for the 8th generation of consoles, all while keeping the original feeling of the game intact, even improving it a little bit. Although i've never played the original GameCube version, i can clearly see that even back in its original years, this game was great. As for the tweaking, from what i've read, there were a few annoying things the original game had, like the whole triforce charts thing. However, Nintendo has tweaked the game to perfection, making it even better than it was before.

A wonderful sequel to Ocarina of Time, this game is one any fan of the Legend of zelda games should get.
  65. Aug 30, 2014
    This game is absolutely fantastic. I love this game. It is fun, the graphics is good and the story is very fun. If you really want a good adventure, this is the game for you.
  66. Mar 13, 2016
    One of the best games ever i love it its a mix between cartoon and hd grafics with new things and a great adventure , this game is better than art all looks awesome
  67. Apr 15, 2016
    Excelente Juego por donde se le vea, gran historia, apartado artístico impecable, implementación de novedades estupenda... Sin duda alguna una maravillosa forma de traer a las nuevas generaciones esta magnifica obra... Una vez mas Nintendo demuestra que se puede mejorar lo que se pensaba inmejorable...
  68. Jun 22, 2016
    This game is truly remastered, the only things I didn't like in the first version are all different now. Traveling the world is so much easier with the new features, searching for treasure and everything in general got better.
    The graphics look great, even though I remember seeing them very similar in the gamecube version.
    This game also has amazing music and great characters. A must
    This game also has amazing music and great characters. A must have for everyone.

The only thing I would've liked is to be able to see more of the underwater world. You know, if the main world is The Great Sea, being able to swim underwater and underwater places would've been great.
  69. Dec 22, 2014
    Simple put.. absolutely amazing. They fixed everything wrong with the first game to make it into an even more enjoyable experience. It's so beautiful and has amazing dungeon exploring and puzzle solving. I also love Wind Waker's open world.
  70. Sep 20, 2013
    Everything I disliked in this game has been replaced and now it's only a Masterpiece. After playing Skyward Sword, i can finally push a button to hit an enemy with my sword and I enjoy it!
  71. Nov 5, 2013
    The only Zelda I never played was Wind Waker and now I get to play it like this in HD. Having completed all the Zelda games and being about 80% complete with this one I can say it is my favorite. The game looks beautiful and plays like a zelda game.
  72. Sep 22, 2013
    Simplemente es perfecto, es adictivo y puedes visitar muchas islas y encontrar muchos tesoros en el mar. sus graficos son excelentes, aunque nunca se debe juzgar a un juego por sou graficos.
    El mejor juego de Wii U hasta la fecha.
    Es diferente a otros Zeldas, ademas que los personajes son Toon, tambien son otros y la historia cambia bastante
  73. Oct 8, 2013
    Playing the HD remake makes me feel so old! I enjoyed the original, but have enjoyed this more. The mechanics feel a lot better then they did on the Game Cube, add in HD and you've got yourself a 10/10 remake.
  74. Apr 22, 2016
    Yes, its way to late to say this, and no i do not care. Reviews are not about timing, its about REVIEWING.
    When I first saw the Wind Waker at age 5, i was obsessed. it was my first zelda game, and thus the bias is real. Little did i know, nintendo was going to make the game look better. The only question i had was HOW? how could it look any better? Then i saw it, and it hit me like a train. immediately, the game looked absolutley beautiful. And still does. the gameplay, textures, and character models are a classic case of: 'if it aint broke, don't fix it.' However, the sailing has been, rather fitingly, fixed in every way. New features, including off- tv play, are more than welcome and result in a perfect blend of a nostalgic and fresh experience.
  75. Sep 30, 2013
    Excellent game. Never play the first one, so this one was a whole new experience. I'm glad I got to play it in HD my first time, it is just beautiful. Many people criticize that Nintendo should make brand new games instea of bringing back old games to life. People who own a WII U today are probably not the same people who owed a Game Cube 10 years ago. People seriously need to think beforeExcellent game. Never play the first one, so this one was a whole new experience. I'm glad I got to play it in HD my first time, it is just beautiful. Many people criticize that Nintendo should make brand new games instea of bringing back old games to life. People who own a WII U today are probably not the same people who owed a Game Cube 10 years ago. People seriously need to think before they speak. Expand
  76. Nov 10, 2013
    The remake of this brilliant game looks absolutely spectacular. This isn't the Zelda game I would have picked for an hd remake (Majora's Mask needs it) but I love it anyway
  77. Oct 4, 2013
    This isn't just a simple HD port, this is a game that has been lovingly remastered to improve on almost every aspect of the original. There's no reason not to experience this game again.
  78. Nov 21, 2013
    I remember playing Legend of Zelda back in the day when it came out. I never did get very far, but I understood the appeal. I then tried Twilight Princess and liked that a lot too. I again...never was able to play to even halfway through. I bought this WindWaker HD bundle because I never got to play the original and heard it was great. Let me tell you, this game blows it out of theI remember playing Legend of Zelda back in the day when it came out. I never did get very far, but I understood the appeal. I then tried Twilight Princess and liked that a lot too. I again...never was able to play to even halfway through. I bought this WindWaker HD bundle because I never got to play the original and heard it was great. Let me tell you, this game blows it out of the water...no pun intended. I mean, it is gorgeous, the story is strong, and the puzzles can be very challenging. I love it! If I was going to suggest a Zelda game..especially to a beginner like me, it would be this one. It's easily one of the coolest games I have ever played. It's as strong as Mario Galaxy and that I feel might be the best game ever. Expand
  79. Jan 6, 2014
    So much fun great throwback to the original and it stays true to the original game while slightly Improving the mechanics
    While incorporating the wii u remotes second screen as a inventory allowing smooth swapping of items in fights with great sword mechanics best of any of the Zelda games and brilliant boss fights with a game that does require lots of open world exploration and it may at some points require a walkthrough to complete.
    But just in case you find it too easy still there is a hero mode with double damage and no recovery hearts.
    Great game definitely recommend
  80. Apr 20, 2014
    This isn't just an ordinary remake. This is the single best remake I have ever played. Showing off beautiful 1080p there are no complaints for this. Though it is not my favorite Wii U game, it comes in a close second
  81. Jun 30, 2014
    Wind Waker was a great gem back in 2003. Zelda: Wind Waker HD on the Wii U is even better.

They have added game pad controls so the menus aren't clunky and you have instant access to them. They also have off screen play which is a nice bonus. Nintendo have added a hero mode to make the game harder as that was one of the complaints about the original. There is now miiverse support as

There is now miiverse support as well so if you get stuck you can ask for help. You can also post picture with the camera and post them on miiverse.

Add gyro controls for aiming etc you have a massive improvement over the original and it is definitely worth replaying again as many games today lack that little something.
  82. Aug 24, 2014
    As an improvement on the original, Wind Waker HD offers Wind Waker with a little extra oomph.

Controls are the standard of most Zelda games and with the addition of counter move in this game the combat is fluid and fun. The adaption of the pad's gyroscope allows for a more direct experience with certain items that allows the player to be more involved and works very well. Of course, the player can choose to play the game in the original format which is always a plus.

Wind Waker's world is massive and I mean massive. It's a gorgeous world to be explored but its sheer size means most of the map is empty with maybe a treasure here or there with most of it being rupees. That being said, one of the biggest problems was sailing was tedious if you wanted to explore in the original but this new one fixes it by offering a special item that cuts travel time quickly and allows the world to be explored more efficiently. Another improvement is the game's flow, modifications to a certain aspect of the game allows for the experience to feel more fluid and less choppy near the end. With these improvements, Wind Waker HD is without a doubt one of the best Zeldas.

Also I just love the art style, it's very charming.
  83. Aug 20, 2015
    Incredible game. Gameplay is gripping until the end, open world feature is outstanding. For every gamer, not just Zelda fans. This game inspired me to take an interest in Zelda and I am now a fan! :D
  84. Sep 18, 2016
    This is my favorite Zelda games currently. Awesome graphic, awesome controlls (even I prefer the Gamecube controller), awesome history (similar to Ocarina Of Time history) and awesome new implementations (like using the Game Pad to use de Bow and Hookshot). For me this is the pefect Zelda currently.
  85. Feb 4, 2014
    The original WW was already beautiful, and the HD remake builds up on it so much, it's almost staggering. Other than that, it's the same great game that came out on the Gamecube. The addition of Miiverse features makes sailing more entertaining - I love collecting up bottles.
  86. Sep 24, 2013
    The game is amazing and the updated visuals assures that this game will remain as one of the most beautiful for another decade. Hero Mode really adds to the challenge the game is much better with Hero Mode active. Can't give it anything less than a 10.

The adventure is filled with things to do, treasures to hunt, places to reach, and a beautiful ocean to set sail on.
  87. Feb 16, 2014
    If you miss the fun in past Zelda games, Wind Waker HD is for you. It's everything you would expect, it follows the past Wind Waker perfectly and the actual HD feature looks beautiful. The mechanics are great, the gameplay is solid, and it's a great experience from old Zelda franchises.
  88. Feb 24, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda game with the most memorable characters made almost perfect with some amazing lightning effects and HD textures. For those who have played the original I don't need to mention how great this game is. For those who have never played the game and want to call themselves gamers, you owe it to yourselves to play this game. It's beautiful, calming, just magnificent.
  89. Apr 27, 2014
    Truly a well crafted piece of art work, it's hard to think that a ten year old game gets ready made into the greatest looking Zelda game of all time and one of the best Wii U games currently. Is it the best zelda game ever, some say yes, some say no. I can only say that it is my favourite Zelda game ever. The sea gives a certain joy to exploring that other games don't. The sun actuallyTruly a well crafted piece of art work, it's hard to think that a ten year old game gets ready made into the greatest looking Zelda game of all time and one of the best Wii U games currently. Is it the best zelda game ever, some say yes, some say no. I can only say that it is my favourite Zelda game ever. The sea gives a certain joy to exploring that other games don't. The sun actually makes you smile when you leave a dark cave, and happy when you look at waterfalls and cliffs a certain way that feels the same as sitting on a beach. Does this games charm and elegance make up for a boring ending? Yes it does. That is the only negative to this game. It possess all the strong elements you want...

Strong story
    familiar elements
    looks amazing
    and new interesting world to explore.

A must play game for zelda fans but if you do not like cell shading or cartoon like I would move on.
  90. Sep 15, 2014
    There's nothing to say about Wind Waker that hasn't been said before.
    With this remake, the game looks even more beautiful, the audio is even higher quality and the slight issues it had before are fixed.
    There's nothing to say about Wind Waker that hasn't been said before.
    However, there were some other issues I had with it: I was a bit confused by the item-screen on the gamepad, and changing items using the touchpad scared me since I felt like I was scratching the screen trying to move the items. Just nitpicking. I like the idea but in my case it slowed me down a little. Also, aiming with the WiiU-gamepad was kind of difficult and left you vulnerable for slightly longer than necessary.
    Other than that, the new controls worked fine (although naturally it confused me at first, as someone used to playing it on the GameCube) and I had a blast playing it in it's new form.
    This game is special in many ways, it wasn't afraid to break new ground with it's visual artstyle back in 2002 and it looks fantastic in HD. The battles run smooth and are immensely fun, and the bosses are just as great. Sailing is faster, the part of the game labeled as the most tedious is shortened, and the newly added Tingle Bottles are a nice touch that I like way better than the Tingle Tuner.
    In conclusion, Wind Waker HD is worth its price. The developers took an already marvelous game and sprinkled some extra gloriousness on top of it.
    I can definitely recommend it.
  91. Jun 1, 2015
    This game is amazing. Now I am not a diehard Zelda fan but I have played quite a few Zelda games before in my life and I have never had as much fun as this. The story is amazing, the art style is amazing, the feel is amazing, what else can I say? This is a must buy for anyone who owns a Wii U, 10/10.
  92. Feb 16, 2016
    The definitive way to play The Wind Waker: 105 out of 100. Bonus points for making the classic graphics look even more crisp and clean, Miiverse pictures that to this day are relevant on the internet, faster travel for those who thought the boat was too slow. Classic story-line that parallels its predecessors. Intense game-play that requires quick reaction time. Suspenseful story.The definitive way to play The Wind Waker: 105 out of 100. Bonus points for making the classic graphics look even more crisp and clean, Miiverse pictures that to this day are relevant on the internet, faster travel for those who thought the boat was too slow. Classic story-line that parallels its predecessors. Intense game-play that requires quick reaction time. Suspenseful story. Innovative artwork. Distinct characters. Side stories worth completing. Fun mini-games! THE CONTENT IS OUT OF CONTROL! In such a meticulous way that will keep its relevance throughout years and years to come! Expand
  93. Oct 22, 2013
    The Windwaker HD has definitely set the bar for modern remakes of classic games. The controls are as smooth as ever, graphics are in brilliant 1080p, and the touch pad adds a nice element to tie it all together. The story and characters are among the best in the Zelda series, bosses are challenging. It is so much fun exploring the massive open-world and discovering new islands. In myThe Windwaker HD has definitely set the bar for modern remakes of classic games. The controls are as smooth as ever, graphics are in brilliant 1080p, and the touch pad adds a nice element to tie it all together. The story and characters are among the best in the Zelda series, bosses are challenging. It is so much fun exploring the massive open-world and discovering new islands. In my opinion this game is the first real reason to buy a wii-u. An experience you cannot find any where else. Expand
  94. Oct 15, 2013
    What I don't get is why this will score lower than the original ethane though it is improved on a lot of graphics to make it seem more immersive and captivating still they are both on of the best games... period.
  95. Sep 23, 2013
    When I initially saw videos of the game, especially in comparison to the original, I hated it. Everything looked too soft, too bloomed, too foggy- all the colors that made the original different and fun seemed gone.

After starting the game, I immediately knew I'd never trust another review like that again. The colors are all there and absolutely stunning when playing on the TV. (They're still there on the gamepad, but there are small differences that can be attributed to your individual TV settings.) To say the game is gorgeous is an understatement. You get all the things that made the original stylistically great, but even better- vibrant colors, smooth and crisp lines entities, sound and music that always fit the mood, and incredibly expressive characters (Link in particular!) make this possibly the most personable and charming of the console games.

The gameplay's as solid now as it ever has been, but the more recent tweaks included really spice things up. Travel over water is now much faster and the ocean feels far less empty. For the dungeons, puzzles, and combat, not much has changed, but that's a good thing.

What has changed MOST though is the interface and controls. At first I was sort of worried about the Wii U game pad- it looked so big and clunky, but after using it for 10 minutes I fell in love- and that was just for browsing Wii U menus! Using it in game is a real treat. You have easy access to the map and item screens without ever needing to pause or wait, and the drag and drop for items is splendid. The controller feels right in the hands- it fits well and is quite light! This ties nicely into an addition they added the 3DS, and that's motion based controllers for first person views. Want to take a picture? Activate your pictograph box and hold up your game pad! It will move with you- which is even more impressive when you're playing with the game pad only. It ties into item use as well, such as the grappling hook and others, and feels much faster than regular thumb use. The only thing missing is the ability to connect a wii-remote and use it as the Wind-Waker baton!

This game is everything I wanted it to be- a direct improvement and complete remastering of the original that takes full advantage of what makes the Wii U great. It's sold me on the console's abilities and brought me back to a delightful childhood memory that seems even better the second time around. This game is a must-buy for all Legend of Zelda fans, and all those who love good old fashioned ADVENTURE.
  96. Oct 13, 2013
    Just a great game, with lots of content and beautiful colorful visuals.

The graphics are fresh, and the gameplay is excellent. The use of the GamePad really makes the game more enjoyable.

TEN OUT OF TEN.
  97. Dec 14, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is just one of those games that bursts with adventure. This is by far the best Legend of Zelda game I have ever played. If you get this game, it will be extremely hard to put it down. Since this is my first game review on here... I may have gotten the Review Score wrong. If I did. I meant to put a 10!
  98. Jan 7, 2014
    Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game to date, so when I heard they were remaking this game in HD, you couldn't imagine how happy I was.
    this is definitely how a remake SHOULD be done, the new features and controls are much smoother and definitely improve upon what made the original tedious or annoying. the new swift sail is the savior to those who get bored of the long sailing times and the unnecessarily huge amount of times you'd have to change wind direction with the Wind Waker. The tingle bottle feature is just as amazing as well. I always had a hard time filling up the Nintendo figurine gallery in the game, due to missing some bosses and whatnot, but this feature helped fix that this time around. And besides that, it's also useful for hints and tips, or to just be silly.
    The new gyroscope feature used for the arrows and boomerang was pretty useful to me as well, since using the other analog stick felt somewhat odd.

Although I'm not one much for graphics, this game is just stunning with the HD upgrade. Proof that even cartoony cell shading styles can be stunning.
    Besides that, the game still feels the same, but at the same time it doesn't, the magic is back in a new way. If you're a Zelda fan and loved the Wind Waker, this would be worth a pick up!
  99. Mar 11, 2014
    A fantastic adventure that feels as current, if not even more, then the actual games of today. Looks and play great. Probably the best The Legend of Zelda to date.
  100. Jul 7, 2014
    This game takes Wind Waker and smooths out the few rough edges. Wind Waker on the GameCube was already incredible, and now it's even better, this is in contention for the best Zelda game ever, this game is a must play.

1. Jan 6, 2014
    After ten years Wind Waker is still as magical as it was when it was first released. The Wii U is all of a sudden looking like a console worth considering.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Fond memories of older games can oftentimes come to shatter when revisited but The Wind Waker still shines bright even after ten years. It is almost hard to believe the game is even that old. The battles, the dungeons and the sidequests are all still top notch and wrapped in timeless cartoon graphics. Have you not yet been enchanted by The Wind Waker then now is a better time than ever.
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    Wind Waker HD is a must play game not just for Zelda fans, but for every gamer.