7.5

1. Dec 14, 2013
    Wii Fit U is a game that does exactly what it sets out to do; it battles the bulge and tones those glutes! In all seriousness, Wii Fit U is largely similar to the two previous instalments on Wii. The differences, however, are significant enough to keep the game fresh namely the mini-games that involve the use of the GamePad and the inclusion of the Fit Meter as an additional peripheral.Wii Fit U is a game that does exactly what it sets out to do; it battles the bulge and tones those glutes! In all seriousness, Wii Fit U is largely similar to the two previous instalments on Wii. The differences, however, are significant enough to keep the game fresh namely the mini-games that involve the use of the GamePad and the inclusion of the Fit Meter as an additional peripheral. The Fit Meter works like a dream, and shows up many other pedometers on the market in doing so. Steps, calories burned, an altitude graph and a METs graph are all able to be viewed on the Fit Meter, with temperature and time also viewable. Not to mention a picture of your Mii's face with a few little animations! Sync the Fit Meter with the GamePad to view a full-colour bar graph of your energy output and altitude on the Wii U. If a calorie goal has been set for the day, and you haven't met your quota, Wii Fit U will recommend exercises you can do in-game so that your quota is met. Fit Meter Challenges allow for long-term goals by translating distances and altitudes onto famous areas and landmarks, complete with some trivia from the talking Balance Board. Wii Fit U isn't the most revolutionary fitness game, and a lot of it is rehashed from the past instalments. But that doesn't take away from the fact that this is a great game to consult about getting fit, and does little to suggest otherwise. Expand
  2. Dec 26, 2013
    This is a great fitness game. I have two 13 year old boys and a 17 year old daughter. I tried the game first and liked it, even though my balance is terrible and it rated me older than my physical age. Once my kids tried the game, and saw how cute and fun it is, it's been in daily use. All my kids and my daughter's boyfriend have accounts on it and play it together (one at a time),This is a great fitness game. I have two 13 year old boys and a 17 year old daughter. I tried the game first and liked it, even though my balance is terrible and it rated me older than my physical age. Once my kids tried the game, and saw how cute and fun it is, it's been in daily use. All my kids and my daughter's boyfriend have accounts on it and play it together (one at a time), laughing and joking all the way.

I recommend this as a mild to moderate fitness game that's a lot of fun, gives you a wide range of fitness activities, and tracks your progress to help you meet your fitness goals. I just got the Wii U Fit Meter and it works. I can't say how well yet, but the meter is $20 and is small and discreet enough to wear at work, so I'm looking forward to carrying it all day. The price is so low, I'm not stressed about breaking or losing it.
  3. Dec 15, 2013
    I can't say I love Wii Fit U to bits, because it really hasn't changed that much, but it's still a welcomed iteration into the series. The game pad makes it a lot easier and viable to do some quick strength workouts and body tests since it isn't based off of the Wiimote's point and click interface that had many in conniptions. True, the social gym feature didn't have me on the edge of myI can't say I love Wii Fit U to bits, because it really hasn't changed that much, but it's still a welcomed iteration into the series. The game pad makes it a lot easier and viable to do some quick strength workouts and body tests since it isn't based off of the Wiimote's point and click interface that had many in conniptions. True, the social gym feature didn't have me on the edge of my seat, but it's a nice higher quality step up from Wii Fit Plus. Expand
  4. Mar 8, 2015
    Wii Fit U may be better than Wii Fit Plus and some other titles in the Wii series, but I can say that it definitely doesn't surpass Wii Sports Resort.

Let's start with the good. I usually do not like when games recycle ideas over and over again (like New Super Mario Bros. 2) but for this one, I will make an exception since it will be easy for both newcomers and veterans to jump into. You'll remember the simple Body Test (yes, it will still criticize you at the end) and the Yoga and Strength Training. There are some new Yoga and Strength Training exercises, yet I rarely do these types since I'm not that flexible. If you are flexible, however, there are special exercises that are "For Advanced Users" as the game calls them.

The game got rid of some of my favorite Wii Fit Plus exercises, particularly Rhythm Parade, Tightrope, and the Penguin game and I had really enjoyed those. They do keep Rhythm Kung Fu and Snowball Fight though. There are some new exercises such as one that involves you having to find certain Miis, one where you have to take food to Miis, one where you're rock climbing, one where you're jumping on a trampoline, and one where you have to squirt water at Miis similar to Snowball Fight. These new minigames are all very fun and enjoyable and I'm glad that they put at least some effort into them.

Wii Fit U's main new feature is the Fit Meter which can track your steps and calories burned which you can later input into the game. I do have a Fit Meter but I've yet to try out this feature. Once you've inputted your data, the game will cleverly tell you things like "If you were in Paris, you would have made it ____ far" or "If you were in New York, you would have made it ____ far." It can help you set goals which is very neat.

Overall, Wii Fit U is another enjoyable Wii-branded series title and I would probably say the second best in the series behind Wii Sports Resort. It does seem to take more of a diagonal step when it comes to improving over Wii Fit Plus but it's still worth picking up if you have a Wii U.

1. May 11, 2014
    Wii Fit U is the second updated edition of Wii Fit. More of the same, then. Which is mainly a good thing. [Feb 2014]
  2. Mar 23, 2014
    Although it doesn't serve as a replacement for regular exercise, Wii Fit U is probably the best game in its genre, and with the existence of the Fit Meter, is a great way to keep track of and accompany daily activities.
  3. Jan 24, 2014
    If your goal is simply to be more active, of if you're just starting to dabble in dedicated personal fitness, Wii Fit U will probably fit the bill. If you're willing to put in the legwork to create a regular regimen and stick with it, you can definitely get a good workout. Anyone seeking detailed fitness guidance and structure should look elsewhere.