• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2012
7.5

1. Nov 19, 2012
    Do not be fooled by the 1st person view, the guns and the zombis - this is *not* a shooter. It is a tactical survival horror. Slow paced, dark, difficult and unforgiving. That pretty much sold it to me right away - no hand holding, not instant re-spawns. Its nice to play a game that makes you work at being good for once! Combat can get a bit stale at times but it doesn't really detract from the overall survival-horror aspect.

RE: smellymetal (and others) who complain that "My gosh these people who like the game have new accounts, clearly this means they are fake!" - Yeah, I'm sure this happens, check out some of those zero score "reviews" if you want some examples. I enjoyed playing it, I enjoyed it enough to give it a 9. However I doubt very much if the people giving it zero are being remotely objective, do you? However 5 critic reviews give it 8 or 9 out of 10, why is my liking it so unrealistic?
  2. Jan 20, 2013
    ZombiU won't be for everyone, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It is pure survival horror, something that I missed within these past few years. I enjoyed every ounce of gameplay of the 15 hours that I poured in. One bite and you're gone, n ifs and or buts about it. If you need to grab something out of your inventory and you have a horde of zombies on you, the game will NOT pause, which in turn is a good thing and makes things tense. The world is set up sort of like "The Darness" or somewhat like "Bioshock". The Safehouse acts like a hub and from there you can either walk to each connected place or fast travel (given that you unlocked a manhole cover in that area) to each location. There will be certainly back traveling for doors you need to go back and unlock, looking for more ammo (yes, ammo is scarce), or looking for other player's zombies for their loot. While the game doesn't have any online multiplayer components, it does allow other people to infect your world, where they previously died and if you kill them, you'll get whatever loot they had in their backpack at that time. You can leave messages for others on virtually any wall or floor, to give people hints, warn them or trick them. Leaderboards are also posted for people's best survival character's score. Your score resets when your survivor dies, which in turn you start a new survivor and you get a chance to go get your loot back from yourself. There is also a "Survival Mode", which basically and bluntly, if you die (even at the end of the game), it's game over, period. Graphics are quite good and I have no complaints with them. Certain glitches may appear with zombie's heads turning kind of oddly, but other than that, the atmosphere is so surreal, that it really gives the impression that this world as we know it, is dead. It'll take you in some pretty unnerving places that will cause you to really take your time and keep watching your back. The sound is pretty outstanding, if not a little low in certain spots. You'll hear people screaming around you in houses, garbage being tipped over, crows, rain and thunder, voices all around you, growls. I did have a few lock ups/freezes (3 in fact) during my play time. One glitch happened when I was sliding through an opening, and it locked up, couldn't do nothing. Two others were pure lockups upon loading a section or in the middle of killing a zombie. In closing, I can recommend this game to any WiiU owner from now and probably until the end of the WiiU's life cycle. It is THAT good. Expand
  3. Nov 19, 2012
    This game isn't perfect by any stretch but no game I have played is. My thoughts on controls are they don't feel bad at all the only issue I tend to come across is accidentally pushing the wrong button to swing my cricket bat for the kill resulting in me getting bit . I don't find them clunky like other reviewers have said they could be better but they are about what I expected them to be not bad not great. Graphics some people bash the graphics in this game but I really dig them the zombies sometimes look like the same person you already fought but this is a minor complaint in my humble opinion. Sure the characters have elongated faces but that is how people from that area usually look so this doesn't bother me they are not as elongated as the characters from Dishonored. So basically you will see more Bremner look a likes than McGregor any fans of trainspotting will get that reference. My ratings breakdown Gameplay/Controls 7.4 Graphics 8.7 Sound 8.2 Replay Value 7.1 Overall 7.85 solid launch title that has it's moments this is more fun than the original Resident Evil games enjoy it. Expand
  4. Jun 25, 2013
    These days it's hard to find a survival horror games. Sure there's still resident evil and stuff like that but they aren't really "scary" then came e3 2012 where ubisoft showed off their ambitious exclusive for wiiu. So how was the game? Amazing. It is survival horror at its finest. I'm willing to put this up with games like re4. Actually scratch that this is BETTER than re4. No Ashley Graham's whining no qte's just killing zombies. While this isn't the graphical showcase for the u since you can't see anything in the dark the presentation is this games strongpoint. Ubisoft paid tons of attention to detail and it shows. Zombies growl unsettlingly making you tap your radar which also picks up rats and crows so you may see a ton of rats on your radar and become pale. Your character makes whimper noises while using the backpack where there are zombies it's great. The gameplay is ok but nothing to special. It makes good use of the gameplay but the cb combat is clunky and unsatisfying although I don't imagine it being to satisfying during the apocalypse so ill let this one slide. Zombiu is a great action packed adventure that every wiiu owner should experience. Don't let this one pass you by. It rocks. Expand
  5. Jul 22, 2013
    Terrifying and difficult, yet fun still. This gets an okay score because my character (In the middle of climbing a ladder) randomly teleported to the bottom of the ladder, died, and started twerking on the ground. In addition to this, there are many many more bugs. However, what did it for me was the king of zombies mode. Without the (not included) wii u pro controller, as a survivor, I was having trouble MOVING to a destination, let alone fighting zombies to get there. Play it for single player, and watch out for bugs. Expand
  6. Jan 6, 2014
    This game is much better than people give it credit, and so much of the negativity seems to be based in graphics, bugs and/or genre confusion. So, let's start with the graphics: granted, this isn't the best-looking game, but it was a launch title, and most launch titles (on any console) don't showcase a system's full potential. Even considering that, I personally don't think it looks as bad as people say, which leads us to the bugs and glitches. Most of the "game-breaking" ones have been ironed out in patches, leaving (so far as I've encountered) sparse and minor glitches that in no way hinder game play. And as for the genre... This isn't Dead Rising or a FPS, so don't expect to be able to cleave through zombies in single strikes or mow them down in rows. It's a survival game, and as the in-game guide says near starting up, it's sometimes better to just run, which should give the player an idea of what he/she will encounter. Expand
  7. Nov 18, 2012
    Hi, ZombieU is an awesome game, graphically good with a setting and atmosphere very successful survival horror. As for the multiplayer is the most original.
  8. Feb 24, 2013
    Disappointing Anyone who has had any substantial experience playing video games will immediately notice the many horrible game designs used in this subpar game. Allow me to elaborate, in detail, why this game is horrible and you should save your money for a more enjoyable game: 1. Controls (5/10) Aiming with a thumbstick is a horrible and outdated way of aiming in 3D games on a next generation console. It’s ineffective, slow and frustrating. The technology the WiiU has makes it possible to make aiming a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience than fumbling around with a thumbstick. One only needs to look at the Zelda Archery minigame in Nintendoland to see that aiming projectile weapons in games on the WiiU can be both easy, fun and accurate rather than backwards, clunky and inaccurate.
    The rest of the controls such as map, inventory management, “pinging” for nearby zombies, scanning a room are all executed on the WiiU gamepad. Many of these features are used very often making looking down at the gamepad a common occurrence that detracts from the immersion in the game and makes it more difficult than necessary to accomplish simple and always repetitive tasks.
    It seems that Ubisoft went to great pain to make sure their game used EVERY SINGLE NEW FEATURE of the new WiiU regardless of if it actually even added any value to the title. Just because your game can utilize a feature of the WiiU console/gamepad doesn’t necessarily mean it has to. The scanning feature is cool the first two or three times you use it, but pulling out your scanner and waving your arms around every single time you enter a new room gets repetitive, boring and slows the gameplay and action to a crawl. Over 50% of the time you play this game you will be spent either scanning each and every new room you enter or collecting the items you find during said scans. This makes the core of ZombieU feel mostly like a easter egg hunt game rather than a zombie survival game.
    For a title that makes it’s main selling point the game controls, ZombieU leaves a lot to be desired on the controls front.

2. Graphics (5/10)
    The game actually looks pretty nice when you can actually see it.
    ZombieU has this persistent dirty screen effect that puts random circles on the screen that look akin to viewing the entire game through a dirty piece of glass. This I feel detracts from the game or was put in to obscure the overall average polygon counts in ZombieU.
    ZombieU also has a habit of making light sources look like someone installed nuclear powered light bulbs in every socket. Being blinded by overly bright lights is just another graphics gimmick that makes actually seeing the environment difficult.
    The game is also notoriously dark making the viewing area in such areas just as wide and as far as your non nuclear powered flashlight can shine. Flashlights in games are cool but only if they are used sparingly here and there such as in games like Metro 2033. ZombieU has a heavy reliance on flashlights making it even more difficult to view your environment.

3. Combat (3/10)
    I hope you like that pretty cricket bat you get at the start of the game because 90% of all combat in this game will be you bashing zombies over and over and over with the damn thing. Between scanning rooms and bashing zombies over and over with your cricket bat, 80% of the time you spend in this game will be doing one of these two repetitive actions.
    Aiming is difficult and the firearms in the game are weak. A headshot to a zombie (if you can even manage to hit a moving zombie in the head with a crappy thumbstick aiming device) doesn’t kill a zombie, it takes upwards of three headshots to kill a zombie. With ammo being scarce as it is already coupled with crappy and ineffective alternatives you are pretty much stuck with that crappy bat.
    Speaking of that crappy bat, your character really really sucks at using it effectively. The animation (not animations) to swing it are slow, boring and repetitive making combat a thing of timing seeing as it can take a whole 4-6 seconds from the time you push the swing attack until the time you can swing again. Timing combos, varying bat animations and effects and not to mention just different melee weapons (knives, swords, hammers) could have made the melee combat more enjoyable.

4. Gameplay (4/10)
    I hope you like a linear roller coaster gaming experience. This game is not open in the least, it does not give you choices to make you simply hop in the ZombieU roller coaster and tackle each and every problem it throws your way in the proper order it wants you to. There isn’t even any dialog choice to make, the only voice characters in the game simply talk at you rather than talk with you.

Overall, this game doesn’t feel so much like a fun well designed game but rather a gimmick to show off all the new features of the WiiU that will drive you utterly insane with frustration at it’s backwards game design.
  9. Apr 21, 2014
    I don't understand how this game is so underrated. It's the return of the classic horror games. I haven't played something this scary since the first Silent Hill titles. It's a very good game considering that it is a launch title. The atmosphere is very well done, it has one of the best GamePad uses yet and even tough it doesn't have online multiplayer, you can find your friends in the game if the have played it and interact with them in some way ;). It's a fantastical game. Short but from my point of view a very good experience. If you have a Wii U and you haven't played it yet, I don't know what are you waiting for. You can find it now anywhere for less than 10€. Expand
  10. Dec 5, 2012
    I wrote this review due to the alarming amount of reviews to the tune of - "The graphics are bad, the animations are bad, the combat is dull and repetitive" - Yes the "graphics" are not HD, the animation is mostly simple, the combat is a little dull, but the focus in this game is not on combat. The focus is on the atmosphere, anticipation, and fear. If other shooters are flashy magazines, Zombie U is classical literature. if you want a call of duty, twitch-shooter, sit around with your bros, "wow that was cool", hold your hand linear action shooter, then ZombiU is just not for U. Now if you let yourself be immersed into this world you will find the most organic SURVIVAL horror game in a LONG time. I almost let myself be turned off by the reviews. it wasnt until I actually played it that I realized just how misunderstood this game is. if you have never payed a REAL survival horror game, or been truly scared by a game. do yourself a favor, open yourself up to a NEW experience and get this game. it will leave you fearful of whats around that next corner, yet eager to delve back into its nerve rattling clutches. Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    I'm shocked by the reviews this game has got, 4.5, 5.5, Just because it;s not a typical action shooting gallery does not mean it is rubbish, Zombiu is great, You just need to get used to it.
  12. Nov 18, 2012
    I'm enjoying all the bull$hit reviews from people who clearly don't have wii U systems let alone have Zombie U to play. Stop the foolish regurgitation of review sites comments without actually playing it. The Game is great, and haters gonna hate. nuff said
  13. Nov 18, 2012
    honestly I don't know why this game got those weak reviews, almost did not get this game. I am glad I did not listen to them. this game is not perfect but I love the tension. I hope they improve on a lot of the elements introduced in this game in zombie u 2.
  14. Nov 19, 2012
    Firstly, I want to say that I created an account just to review this game. I agree with the others, there are a lot of people just posting 10s, 9s, and 0s. Ignore those. This game is definitely in the 5-7 range. I

The main drawbacks the graphics for me, they just aren't that good. After seeing how beautiful AC3 is on this console (which is a port), there is no reason for a ground-up
    WiiU game to look so sub-par. This thought is in the back of my mind every time I play. On a brighter note, I feel they nailed the GamePad usage. A lot of people are complaining about it on the reviewing sites, but its pretty neat to be able to scan stuff with it, have a persistent map, and use your inventory. Mediocre game. Not bad, just mediocre. Expand
  15. Nov 19, 2012
    In a generation that is saturated by action games, Zombie U is getting the cold shoulder. "Ugly graphics, claustrophobic areas, limited ammo, 1 bite your dead" is one of this game main complaints. That would be true if Zombie U was a action game...BUT IT'S NOT. Zombie U is a green mushroom for the survival horror genre that's dying thanks to capcom & ignorant casual gamers. Survival horror games are supposed to be: 1) ugly looking environment, 2) limited ammo (survival, duh), using your brains instead of brawn( your just 1 weakling against many viral enemies. 3) feeling helpless. Melee attack animations can get tiring, but when your desperate trying to get the zombie of your back, you'll forget that. This game delivers for what resident evil 1-4 fans Have been claiming for. I suggest go watch a few playthrough videos & see it for yourself, but NOTE: if your expecting call of duty zombie, you'll be disappointed but sorry to tell you IT'S AN SURVIVAL HORROR GAME not an ACTION GAME Expand
  16. Nov 20, 2012
    After playing for close to 10 hours, I am now in love with this game. For someone looking for an action shooter, this is not your game. This is a game of strategy, patience, exploration, and lots of crying.
    My first death was the hardest. Not only did I scream in horror as I tried to pull out a Molotov. I also continued screaming when I spawned in the safehouse and realized my waking
    there had triggered an event. No supplies, I died quickly and screamed again, realizing that all my gear on my first character had just disappeared. While I think this game mechanic works most of the time, (the whole double death equals a disappearing zombie and loss of all items on said zombie), this instance seems an unfair part. If i could have waited to trigger the event, I could have gotten my gear. After the loss, It took me a while to build my gear up. I had to strategize. I had to know when to run and when to kill. I learned the hard way how important the locker is. If your locker has a few flares and molotovs, retrieval of gear is always much more successful.
    My biggest gripe is multiplayer. The zombie king thing is nice, but why no option to play against the computer? I can't always convince the wife to play king for me and playing solo would be nice.  Why no 2 players in the king of the zombies arena? I think a multiplayer patch that supports 2 screens would be amazing.

Another annoying bit is the lack of melee weapon variation and / or upgrading. It seems a simple thing to add. The Crickett bat does get old, and it never gets more powerful. Luckily, after you make it to Buckingham, weapon variety expands on the projectile front.

Another strange bit is the insistance that the touch screen be used. For instance, when scanning, why can't I just use a button, like Y, to analize or hack?  Reaching off the joystick to tap the screen is awkward and arbitrary, as NONE of the other buttons are used during scanning.Yes, they are trying to make use of all the wii u's gadgets, but sometimes a button is still easier, especially when the alternative is just a button on the screen.

Overall, best launch game by far. I can't stop playing it to even touch Mario or cod for more than a few minutes each. The shortcomings are so obvious, it makes me wonder if they were brought up but pushed aside due to ubisofts corporate structure. This is definitely a buy. If you get frustrated with the difficulty level, set it to chicken mode, which is pretty much 'normal' when you compare it to the standard difficulty.
  17. Nov 20, 2012
    This really is a very good game. I was skeptical at first because for whatever reason I thought it might be like Red Steel; it's not. The most important thing to know is that this is a survival horror. This is not a run and gun FPS.. The game does an excellent job of creating a very scary and "edge of your seat" experience. It really sucks to die in this game; which is great because it makes you care. The scavenging and survival aspect of this game is what makes it shine. There aren't enough games that actually make you feel like you are in danger and must forage for anything that might be of use. Some zombie games are good even if they are just built around a "run and gun, kill as many as you can" concept, but that ultimately provides for a much shallower experience than what is offered in ZombiU. Sometimes mindlessly killing zombies may be what you want, but if you feel like a change and the idea of a true survival horror zombie game appeals to you, you should buy this game. Expand
  18. Dec 6, 2012
    ZombiU. Much discrepancy has been had over this game. Either you love it or you hate it. I went in a bit skeptical due to some of the negative reviews I had seen of the game. I am very happy that I chose to purchase it however. This game is true survival horror.

Those expecting a game like Resident evil 6 or dead space will be disappointed...as this is not a game in that same vein. This
    game is about slow, tense, careful planning and conserving...with occasional spikes of terror and a constant feeling of nervousness while playing.

This game does NOT hold your hand. You will die, and you will die alot. Dark souls with zombies? You might not be too far off. The graphics are average, yet the world and setting that have been crafted here are top notch.

The use of the gamepad really brings it home here, making the experience more tense and intuitive without making it feel very gimmicky.

If more games are crafted like this, the WiiU has a bright future ahead of it indeed.

19. Dec 13, 2012
    One of the best and worst games I have ever played in one package. Firstly i found the game to be amazing when i first played it. The atmosphere is intense. This is not an action shooter, if you want a shooter play call of duty. This is a slow paced atmospheric game that breaks new ground. Graphically it works to set the scene. I have seen better, but i have also seen far worse. People that dislike the graphics most likely dislike the game due to the setting. I didnt find it repetetive and i loved walking around waiting for the zombies to appear from nowhere. I think in total it made me jump 3 or 4 times, which is more than any other game has for years. With the score I would have given this a 9 easily, like i said for me this is a new type of game that i loved. The gamepad sound effects, coupled with surround sound really set the scene.

There is one major problem....BUGS.....I spent 14 hours playing this slowly with every intention of revisting it to play survival mode. I never replay games.....this game made me want to replay it before i had even completed it....But near the end i died working on the panacea level. When i restarted i completed the objective, but nothing happened. It still says i need to complete the objective. I googled the walkthrough and videos to be sure. I did everything right. The game wont unlock a door to allow me to leave and nothing happens. This means after 14 hours i cant continue or do anything. So for the first time i emailed a game maker, because i Ioved playing this game. Their response google walkthroughs.....even more annoying.... its a bug. I have completed the objective but the things that are supposed to happen dont. So not only are there bugs stopping me completing it but ubisoft wont acknowledge them. I could start again, but what then 14 hours to find a new bug. With all bugs fixed 9/10 easily. As is... you make up your own mind. I gave it 5. Play if but if you die ( you will die) be aware a bug might surface stopping you from completing a key action. Other users have said the same. ( I didnt belive it until it happened to me). So frustrating, a great game that should have been tested. Technically the item is faulty and everyone could legally get their money back, so ubisoft fix it.
  20. Dec 31, 2012
    Ignore what some of the idiotic "professional" reviews have said about this game, it's fantastic. It's not flawless, no game is, but it's a wonderful, true survival horror game. It's slow, methodical and extremely well done. Survival horror at its finest.
  21. Feb 1, 2013
    I don't know how this got anything below a 7. I understand that its not perfect but overall it is a very good horror/first person shooter. ZombiU is very fun and has kept me on th edge of my seat the entire time I have played it and it keeps me interested even when Im not playing it. I cant wait to get off work so I can go home and play!
  22. Mar 29, 2013
    So far, the best Wii U game to date. It has completely changed the survivor/zombie game dynamic since Left 4 Dead. L4D was all about pure survival against the herd. ZombiU is the Splinter Cell of zombie games. You need to sneak around, listen to the radio voice and avoid surprises. ZombiU utilizes the game pad extraordinarily, even incorporated it into the game itself with having the character holding one. My one and only complaint is that there are portions that seem repetitive, but Ubi managed to fix it in some areas by having different looking zombies.

Are you wondering about playing it? Oh definitely. Buy it? Oh I highly recommend it.
  23. Apr 27, 2013
    A fun and enjoyable game experience not like most console zombie games. Fun gameplay and interesting use of the Wii U gamepad make it a must have for any Wii U owner.
  24. Jul 29, 2013
    After reading reviews that were either great or quite bad, I was still intrigued by this game. after passing it this is a great ride and is definitely worth a visit. the atmosphere and tension in this game is terrific I could feel my heart pumping sometimes as you never know what to expect around the corner. This is survival horror and you will die many times but this is part of the fun. There are some issues I had loading times were sometimes all over the place when just opening a door and it would be great if you could mark things on your map so you know where you need to trace back to if necessary.

You aren't given an unlimited supply of ammo or health recovery but this is part of the fun you really need to plan and strategise how you will survive for the next mission and I really liked this. The Wii U game pad is also used well serving as a map, inventory holder and also a cool feature where you can use it to scan your surroundings in the game for hidden secrets or messages. I was quite impressed and had a great time with it.

This game may not be for everyone but if you want a suspenseful, scary yet fun game this is for you. Patience is key to this game if you don't have it, then you won't survive very long.
  25. Sep 5, 2013
    What can videogames produce? What is their goal? I do believe VG are art, so they want to communicate, create experiences. ZombiU is one of the freshest experiences out there. You'll see people speaking about graphics and bla bla bla, this game is a MUST HAVE, an unique experience. Do you want to play generic games or have unique experiences? Your call
  26. Nov 13, 2013
    Situative fear is just awesome in this game! You really fear for your life, not like in resident evils or whatever. Love it and the way you can explore and search for stuff, use it wise!
  27. Jan 20, 2014
    I got this game dec 13 and I love it. Was the 1st game I played on wii u so took about a hour to get to grips with. I heard about alot of game breaking bugs but 14 hours in I havent seen any yet. I have loved every minute of this game. Graphics are decent( not groundbreaking) sound is good gameplay is good. The tension is very high and is truly scary when played in the dark with the sound up. Also a decent variety of guns but only one melee weapon which is a cricket bat so I mainly stick to guns. Expand
  28. Feb 26, 2014
    Use of the gamepad was intuitive, music and sound effects are well designed. I've heard multiplayer is good, but I don't play well with others so I wouldn't know.

Use of the gamepad was counter intuitive during fight sequences in that you need it to switch weapons, and for a game that punishes you for dying, it's spiteful to put you in a powerless position for even just a moment, all
    while trying to cover yourself on the fly with no ammunition.

In general the controls are just terrible. Let's face it, the gamepad is basically a tablet computer in your hands, and with the controls it brings your arms far enough apart that you have to get used to playing with it as if it were a standard controller and there is a comfort level you have to find in this configuration. That being said, L3 for running was truly a bad idea as L and LZ are just below it, and were constantly disrupting my progress. I had to mentally remember to keep my left index finger snuggly under L so I didn't accidentally trigger it or LZ while running, especially during the circus time trials, which are forced on you when you just think you're getting a hang of the game. The option to invert look on the game pad was a glaring omission, as I'm an old school gamer and have always used flight-sim style controls on my FPS's. Mentally switching between the two view formats was such a headache that I literally re-programmed myself to play with standard controls. It's been an adjustment that has literally re-defined how I play games now.

Graphics are substandard, with poor textures and a garish "looking through a dirty car window" aspect to them. Because of this I truly wasn't scared, feeling as if I was watching some animated Zombie movie where poorly rendered dead things were being thrust at me.

Zombi U is blessed with at least one horrible programming snafu, such as when I was locked in a safe room in Buckingham Palace and was unable to do anything but quit my game and lose all my progress. Load times are also questionable.

Logic seems to be an option in this world, as you are left with nothing when you reincarnate and you start at level 1, but your weapons retain their upgrades and you always have a pistol and a bat. Additionally, zombies are typically lumbering unfocused creatures. Regardless of this fact, in Zombi U they keep up with you at an irritating rate, even when you run. They might as well be alive.

Disappointing character development puts a damper on the emotional draw of the game. The Prepper seems to be in his own little world, eventually falling under the illusion I'm working against him. The doctor in Buckingham Palace has an interesting flare, but his character is so undeveloped that we don't really care when his predicament comes to a dead end. Finally there are these spoken messages throughout the game that are intended to engage the player in the evolution of the "Blight", but they seem more like sprigs of parsley on a dinner plate; sure you can eat them but they are hardly satisfying. All of these factors augment the feeling that you're not interacting with anything, just running around bashing Zombies.

While I don't mind the next aspect so much, game play has been compared to Metroid where you backtrack for additional items and clues, and Zombi U is all about retracing your steps. But at least Metroid has tight controls that give you a fighting chance and doesn't compound the punishments if you don't play the game a specific way, such as this game where if you fail to survive during the final sequence, your shortcuts are removed.

While you're free to travel almost anywhere in London, I would have suggested a better chronological flow to the game, where we experience the passage of day and night, such as in Skyrim. I think this urgency to get under cover when night falls would have added an amazing dimension to the game, but time seems to be a prisoner along with us, where it's always night or always day depending on where you're at.

Some have said the game should be looked at as true survival horror but even the original "Resident Evil" gave you a save system to fall back on, Zombi U gives you a learning curve for wrapping your head around the idea that you are playing a body, not a character, even though they all have names. If they die, you can move onto the next one so having any feelings for these automatons is pointless. Yeah, it probably looked good on paper, but I think just like the lack of connection with the Prepper, all of these elements enhance ones indifference to the experience, and it totally works against the game.

A challenge for many and I do respect that, Zombie U is definitely a game that will monopolize your mind and give you plenty of work to do to get through it, but it could easily have been put on a mobil device and called "Bash the Zombies" and would have been just as effective.

FHP
  29. Jan 27, 2013
    The game started off great. But then zombies that explode on contact simply because they're wearing a tank on their backs even if you don't actually hit said tank, and a plethora of game breaking bugs just made this a pointless purchase really. With no official word on a patch to fix the various issues with the game, I'd say skip this. Don't even ask for it as a gift.
  30. Nov 26, 2012
    Please, PLEASE try this game. The online reviews have been very harsh with it, and I personally think it deserves your attention. It is not perfect, far from it, but the game-play is fun, the atmosphere is great, you really feel like it's a survival. I also really enjoyed the gamepad features, scanning around for items and mission objectives, looking into your backpack you can get attacked if not careful, hearing the radio communication from the gamepad while looking at the screen is a small detail that really immerse you into the game. So please, try it :) Expand
  31. Nov 29, 2012
    What an incredible game. This game will be divisive among gamers and reviewers - but know this: If you want to play a game where you load up on all kinds of weapons and take out zombies like ducks in a shooting gallery - this is NOT your game. If you want to play a game with edge of your seat atmosphere and "DEAD GOD I HOPE I HAVE ONE MORE BULLET LEFT" suspense where YOU WILL DIE, this is the game you need. What a refreshing game - what a great game by Ubisoft. Expand
  32. Dec 14, 2012
    Juego increible, tremendamente adictivo y que es capaz de crearte una auténtica sensación de inseguridad en todo momento. Altamente recomendable para los amantes del survival horror y poco para los que lo único que busquen sea un shooter.
  33. Dec 28, 2012
    Great game! One of the few that really scares you and feels like true survival horror. If you like games like Resident Evil (the original), Silent Hill, Condemned, etc. that are actually frightening then pick this one up. It keeps the tension high at all times and makes you feel truly alone in a zombie outbreak. The game pad is used well during game play, and if you encounter more than 1 zombie at any time it's very difficult, you have to use strategy and sometimes run for safety! Dark atmosphere and very tense game play, I highly recommend! Expand
  34. Nov 19, 2012
    Nintendo want to do things a bit different & ZombiU manages that in spades. Ubisoft manage to muster up an engaging & often challenging game from a well trodden path. Good use of the touch pad & in my opinion excellent moody atmosphere created by subtle graphical use of the processors. This is a title that will no doubt be bettered by ZombiU2 but is still a very good original title for a new system. Expand
  35. Nov 18, 2012
    This was one of nintendos main launch games and wanted this game to sell the Wii U, well Nintendo have achieved that ZombiU works great on the amazing gamepad and has a really adventures twang to the game this is the best game I've ever played you guys have got to get it!
  36. Nov 18, 2012
    This game does an amazing use of the gamepad and has the potential to bring back the core of the horror games. With time, zombies got overused and couldn't keep their true meaning, of scaring people. ZombiU may not have the most awesome graphics, but if you care that much about it, you're not a hardcore gamer, that will try to beat a game where you don't have that "autosave" every 5 seconds and will have to really give a good effort to make it through. Expand
  37. Nov 18, 2012
    How in the world this game got a few bad reveiws I will never know!!! The game is fantastic its not like every other zombie game on the market thank goodness!!!!! It stands alone, a truly fun and unique gaming experience!!! Dont let a few false reveiws ruin a truly extraordinary gaining experience for YOU!!!!!!! think for yourself don't let others decide for you!!! if you want a great game its here waiiting 4 you!!!!!! Expand
  38. Nov 18, 2012
    Essentially, the game is really fun, challenging, and scary. However, those who want something more action oriented, go somewhere else.

This is a SURVIVAL HORROR title. And it does that very well in my opinion. While the combat can be a bit repetitive, and the visuals aren't as nice to look at as I had hoped, (Hence, I marked it down a little) the game still provides a good time and a
    decent challenge. A few bugs here and there that I'm confident can be ironed out (and those gameplay issues that can't) are all I see wrong with the game. Add a compelling multiplayer experience to enjoy with friends and you have a very fun game for the Wii U launch, though it isn't for everyone. Expand
  39. Nov 18, 2012
    After waiting in line at walmart for 6 hours to pick up the wii u on release, this was my first game purchase. I eagerly rushed up to set up the new console and fire up this game. I only played about an hour into the game so please keep that in mind when considering my review. The game looks gorgeous!! It looks like a next generation title. The atmosphere is extremely creepy to the point where it was scary playing late at night by myself. My initial impression was the wii u gamepad felt a little awkward to use at first but it achieves a new feeling in gaming. I wanted to put this out there because I read some really bad reviews and I don't really agree with them. It is definitely not a game for children as you smash the heads in of zombie corpses. The game makes really good use of the wii u game pad and the sonar tool will drive you crazy when you see targets and realize they are only rats running around. I thought a group of zombies was rushing up the hall and it turned out to be some rats. The game did make the hair on my neck stand a few times. I cant wait till my kids go to bed to play some more tonight. Expand
  40. Nov 18, 2012
    I am seeing quite a few trolls trying to bash this game when they probably haven't even played it, but that isn't all of the negative reviews. Reviews like IGNs were geared towards reviewing it as an action title, which it is not. This is a pure survival horror title and is by no means ugly, if you enjoy the tension of running and hiding like you would in real life you will enjoy this. If you like to be an invincible action star that is immune running and gunning through a zombie horde this game is not for you and you should move along. I am thoroughly enjoying it and am headed back to play it right now. Expand
  41. Nov 18, 2012
    4.5? 6.3? WHAT? This game is great, it accomplishes exactly what it set out to. To be a survival horror game. If you don't like Survival Horror, then steer clear. If you do, then ZombiU is a no-BRAIN-er. The only gripe I have with the game, and it's a minor one. Is that alot of the textures are pretty low-res.
  42. Nov 19, 2012
    Expected a survival horror game and got survival horror game.
    One of the best and most original Launchgames in this century. Its not a blunder like Resident Evil 6 focusing on Action and cutscenes .
    Its not a Left 4 Dead where hundreds of Zombies attack you and you have more Ammo than the American Army.
    Is an real oldschool game where your sources are limited.
  43. Nov 19, 2012
    One of the better Launchgames for The Wii U.
    Scary as ****
    Harder than steel, more addictive than Meth. Its more Survival than watching bear grylls eating centipedes.
    Enjoy ing the game so far and glad that i bought it.
  44. Nov 19, 2012
    I was suspicious against the Wii Pad and ZombiU.
    I thought it would end like an not usefull gimmick but holy **** the Gamepad is realy adding immersion to the gameplay.
    Searching for items on the Pad as fast as possible and looking with fear on the televions for Zombies is just great.
    The gameplay is great and the graphics ( for a luanch title supporting native FullHd) impressive.

Sound effects are good the only thing negative are the loadingtimes and backtracing.
  45. Nov 19, 2012
    You like hard games?
    You like unforgettable games?
    You like games that will haunt you in your dreams?
    ZombiU is one of this games. Brutally hard, it will not forget one mistake you do.
  46. Nov 19, 2012
    You know why the Metacritic user review sucks? Because people who didnt play the game give 0/10 . So the only possibility to get the score right again is to give a 10/10. The game isnt a 10/10 because there a few problems in ZombiU. Like the Backtracing and the Meleecombat and the Loadingscreens. I can live with this 3 negative points beecause the atmosphere and the difficulty of this game give a huge advantage ov every other self claimed survival game out there.
    Playing Survival Horror for a long time its the first game since Amnesia who really suprises me.
    The setting is new and fresh, the atmosphere is dense and the sound is great.
    Zombies are really dangerous when attacking in groups of 2-6 and the only possibility is to kill them or avaiding them.
    So its a good Launch game for a new console and a good first impression for an new Ip.
    Normally i would give this game a 8/10 but because of the kids who bomb reviews of games they dont like i give a 10/10
  47. Nov 19, 2012
    Buying this and New Super Mario Brothers U for launch ( Nintendoland was already in my premium pack ) and its quite good.
    Running through the devastated London is great and the atmosphere is so dense its awesome.
    The zombies are a real threat for the players and the gameplay is challanging.
    I like survival games so its not a big issue for me that the melee combat is slightly repetitive
    and the backtracing.

So i give this game a 9/10
  48. Nov 19, 2012
    Oh my God, there's an entire horde on the other side of this fence. Only 10 bullets left in my pistol? At least I've got two flares. Should've saved a molotov on that last group, though. Equip my flares, a health pack, and open the gate.

5 crows and one zombie. What was I so worried about?

ZombiU is not a great action game, I'll say that up front. However, this is completely
    unimportant to the experience as a whole. ZombiU capitalizes on making the player feel vulnerable; the tension of knowing that death is potentially around every corner. Most of the time the zombies will lunge and scratch at you, but if just one of them can get their jaws on your flesh, BAM. You're infected.

The game design harkens to the early days of survival horror; ammo is hard to find, health is hard to find, and the zombies need a serious beating from your cricket bat before they quiet down. The graphics are nothing mind-blowing, but they do run smoothly and look great. The sound design is one of my favorite parts; the squish and thud of hitting a zombie with a bat, and the thinly spread music which always makes me feel like there are 10 zombies that are coming for me even though I can see both of the ones in the area.

Atmosphere is honestly ZombiU's greatest achievement, and is a refreshing experience for a long-time Survival Horror fan that had nearly given up on console games in the genre.
  49. Nov 19, 2012
    I'm opening with my closing statement: If you want a game that forces you to think about how to handle a situation instead of run and gun, this game is for you. If you don't want a game that challenges your wit and cunning, steer clear. This rogue-like gem is a must have for true survival horror fans.

ZombieU is one of the WiiU's most promising launch titles. A step away from the sea of
    action horror games flooding mainstream gaming, ZombieU brings us back to the old days of Resident Evil-esque survival horror. Ammo conservation and knowing when to sneak rather than confront an enemy is key!

I can imagine some players getting frustrated with the Normal level of difficulty, but I've sorely missed unforgiving games that make you value every ounce of life you have. This is a must have for fans of Dark Souls/Demon Souls and oldschool difficulty.

Two things they could have done better and one thing I was on the fence about:

Include some kind of local multiplayer component. Only one person would be able to manage the pad/inventory/map instructions, but split screen could easily allow you to equip a companion to help you along.

Offer a sandbox mode for both multiplayer and local co-op. London is a huge place and they could easily expand the game into a "last as long as you can" session. They have a survival mode currently, which is brilliant, but I believe it still follows the campaign.

I'm on the fence about how death is done. Sometimes, you die and it's really frustrating. You spawn as a new survivor only to have to back track to your former location, hopefully kill your former self, and carry on. Sometimes your lack of gear snowballs into a bigger problem; if you don't manage to kill your old self you will lose out on that super sweet gun you just looted until you happen to find another one. This can be problematic in situations where the next area is chalk full of zombies and you could have really used that extra firepower. I'm on the fence because I believe this is a necessary punishment for not being more careful the first time around. Ultimately, I would rather have it this way than be handed another super shiny gun immediately.

Regardless, this is a must have title. I just really, really hope the would be sequel doesn't get dumbed down- there's "Chicken" difficulty for that!

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
  50. Nov 19, 2012
    This is an amazing survival game. Allot of critics and lesser-minded folk seem to think repetitive things make a game terrible. Sadly, these folks must not enjoy FPS games, halo, CoD, or assassins creed being that they are all extremely repetitive. Dont miss out on great games like these, and zombiU because of trolls.

This game very closely resembles Dark Souls in just about every way
    (including the backtracking, bonfires = safe rooms, the way combat works etc is very unforgiving. Expand
  51. Nov 19, 2012
    This game has to be one of the best Wii U launch titles. It has great use of the Wii U's gamepad and it reminds me of what Resident Evil used to be (remember the first few titles in the series.) Nothing beats killing zombies and actually being a litte bit frightened. The environments are actually a bit spooky and dark. I gave this game an 8.0 because the graphics are not the best looking for a Wii U game and at times it can be unforgiving. Overall, I say it's a must buy for any Wii U owner and it kicks Resident Evil 6's ass. Expand
  52. Nov 21, 2012
    I am about 7 hours into the game, on my 5th survivor and I have to say how much I am enjoying this game. Its super hard, you will die if you get careless, and the zombies are really great. The only thing I would gripe about are when the event is scripted to add more zombies than there otherwise would be, but it adds to the excitement and gives momentary bursts of action will generally result in my starting a new survivor!

A worthy purchase for anyone who can actually remember what survival horror is.
  53. Nov 22, 2012
    Maybe it's a misunderstanding, maybe times have changed? What ever it is it makes me sad to see that the fruit of Ubisoft's labour has been tarnished by gamers who have not given this game a chance to let it's survival horror elements permeate through them.

It has been mentioned numerous times already in countless reviews that gamers expected an 'action shooter' title or 'CoD' like
    experience. Well, I'm absolutely glad to say that survival horror is back, and no such game mechanics have found their way into this brilliant piece of software.

ZombiU's greatest achievement is by far evoking fear through a fantastic use of atmospheric sound and level design. While elements of the game mechanics may appear to be broken, they do nothing to cripple the gaming experience, and boy, it's been a long time since a game has provided that.

I'm a bit of an old time gamer - right back from the days of the Spectrum ZX, and in all the time I have been playing great titles, this is actually the first time where it's culminated in a true experience of fear. Many games (and movies) have tried, and achieved a few scares, somewhat cheap ones, but ZombiU isn't cheap and it takes that emotion and plants that element right in the centre of the cerebral core.

The game doesn't have state of the art graphics, there are technical flaws, there are even bugs that can stop the game in it's track (Ubisoft, please fix these in a patch) but despite these issues, and that's what they are - ISSUES, there is still something very special here, and any gamer from any platform worth their salt should recognise that. We should celebrate this game, perhaps I personally do more so because I adore the genre, film or game, and I'm very happy it has divided opinion because this will only draw attention to what is undoubtably going to have a cult following.

In a day and age where we're all told what to like, what is good or bad, trust game reviews like the word of god, it's good to see not all consumers are brainless zombies themselves, that they take the punt beyond what a journalist would say and discover the experience for themselves. It pains me to think there will be people who will not give this game the time of day just because they read or watched a video review - and I know full well if only they'd given it a chance they would have discovered something that may have opened up their gaming world just a little bit more.

If I was to review this game I would have marked it an 8.5, but due to some of the backlash from what are obviously fake reviews I'm showing some love and support by giving it a full 10.

In an age of mindless churned out template titles that strangulate the industry, it good to some companies take a risk to set themselves apart, Ubisoft are magnificent French beauties for having the guts to change direction on a project that ultimately resulted in what will be a very successful game changer. And the fact that the grandfather of all gaming companies is with them on the ride makes it all the more sweet. And if anyone from Ubisoft or Nintendo read this, please know, I for one think you should be very proud.

My final thoughts are on the fear of creative risk and pandering to what people think they want. Let me tell you, people (gamers in particular) as a mass are idiots - they don't have a clue what they want to play and it's why everything is stagnating. Like magpies they look at something and say "I want that!" pointing, grasping - and what they get over and over is diluted with every passing. They think they want it, because they enjoyed it the first time, when it was new. Then every experience feels old, been there and done that - the only way to progress is by making it look better or flashier, pump in production values. The hook isn't that, it's fresh ideas, and without them the industry will flounder. This is why it's important to take risks and it's also why Nintendo for me puts it's ethos at heart with a business sense - rather than milk a cash cow.

What I'm trying to iterate here is ZombiU is a very important title in driving the industry forward, and although it's not perfect, it's certainly very good despite the flaws. And that my dear gamers is a testament to the creatives behind this game.
  54. Nov 23, 2012
    This is a survival game with an extra hard difficulty level. If you are not good at surviving in games, chances are you will not like this game. However, if you enjoy the challenge of surviving insurmountable odds where one mistake can end your entire game...this is the game for you. decent graphics, excellent lighting. Probably the best game I've played this year. people that suck at gaming will more than likely hate this game. Expand
  55. Nov 23, 2012
    I'm just going to say it... Hands down the BEST SURVIVAL HORROR I'VE EVER PLAYED!I had pre-ordered ZombiU after seeing gameplay footage and demos, Needless to say, I was litle put off by the initial reviews it was receiving, It was too late, I had already purchased the game.

I finally got a chance to sit down with ZombiU last night and was floored by how personal it feels. I'm a horror
    movie fan, an english speaking one, but I've turned to Foreign horror to receive my thrills, as it seems that Hollywood lacks any kind of imagination. I've found that Foreign movies have retained the creepy atmospheric tension that there hollywood counterparts have traded for T 'n A long ago. This is exactly what Ubisoft has Done with ZombiU. I fondly remember what I consider as the scariest moment in video games for me As the part in RE:1 where you're strolling down the halls and out of nowhere "SMASH" beast dogs come flying through the window. I was 11 or 12 years old when that game was released and that feeling has remained with me until last nights session of ZombiU. If you were interested in this game but put off by the negatives reviews, you need to reconsider.

The only negative comments I can make about this game are as follows: 1) Nothing but a cricket bat for melee
    2) inability to pick up whatevr you want and bash a zombies face in.

If you like tense/freaky or just generally being creeped out, pick this up, turn off the lights smoke something fun and play.
  56. Nov 26, 2012
    This game blows my mind with how good it is. I played this back and forth with my girlfriend for hours just elated with how much fun we were both having. The zombies are tough and take rational thought to defeat rather than shoot-em-up style mechanics. The game often rewards patience. 90% of the widgets that the controller utilizes to enhance the game feel engaging and useful. However, I found the removal of barricades to be lazy and not well thought out. They could have done better on that one. But seriously, if that is the ONLY gripe I can muster after hours of game play... all that I can say is, try it for yourself. I know you will find this as pleasing an experience as I did. Expand
  57. Nov 26, 2012
    Damn that was really unique, probably due to the use of the new nintendo tablet, but quite the perfect use. A one in a videogamer's life experience (and those are quite rare nowadays). Are you gamer ? ... Well then don't miss it !
  58. Nov 30, 2012
    The graphics are bad, the animations are bad, the combat is dull and repetitive, and the game is incredibly buggy. I have run into two separate game breaking bugs. Other than that there was general buggyness, things like context sensitive actions sometimes not showing up. I cannot even complete the final mission because a mission critical item disappeared from my inventory. This game had so much promise, and even though i prepared myself for disappointment I cannot believe how badly this game was made. Expand
  59. Nov 30, 2012
    I still don't see why a few outlets gave this game such negative reviews, fans of survival horror this is the game you have been waiting for. I personaly havent experienced this kind of enjoyment for a game since the first devil may cry. the only critical thing i would say is i feel the bat should be more effective but then it probably would be too easy if they changed that.
  60. Nov 30, 2012
    This game is pretty good. im glad i picked it up. its a modern day resident evil 2 minus the crappy walking... this is in my top five of games, i truly believe it gets bad reviews because its hard, and not an easy zergfest. they dont hold your hand through it like most games anymore. id say its for hardcore gamers
  61. Dec 1, 2012
    First things first - I singed up with Metacritic just to put forward my dismay at the unfair reviews this title has received. Don't listen to the unusually wayward wafflings of some those big American sites. ZombiU is a more than solid wii u launch title.
    If such a thing is possible in the world of a zombi apocalypse, this game is a breath of fresh air. Dark, gritty and very real, it
    makes use of impressive lighting effects and eerie audio detail to create a truly tense, gripping atmosphere. No balls out, 200 round per second mayhem here - at least nothing even close to it until the end - ZombiU is all about picking your battles, scavenging for every last scrap of ammo and, more than just occassionally, resorting to the nearest blunt instrument in a final frantic attempt to save your own skin.
    Moreoever, playing ZombiU feels like a fresh and new experience, almost - dare we say it - next gen. Pay no heed to those who throw around words like 'gimmicky' when referring to ZombiU's use of the gamepad. For the most part it works. Scrambling though your inventory live or fumbling to hack a door lock as the monsters approach on the other screen is a new, often exciting experience and scanning for objects that you would otherwise miss the in the shadowy back streets of London is genuinely useful. Occasionally, ZombiU will throw in a tablet mini game that feels a little unnecessary or 'gimmicky'. Occasionally.
    Quite why ZombiU has received anything other than A star reviews is beyond me. Some may claim that the game could look a little better, produced as it is on the very latest home console hardware money can buy. Such comments are fair, but visually this game is all about light and shade rather meticulous visual detail and the lighting effects in this game are VERY impressive. Some may also claim that the game is frustratingly difficult. That is the point. To create the kind of tension that ZombiU so often does, it is essential that the player feels the possibility of death lurking in every shadow and around every corner. And in death ZombiU brings it's final trick into play. Your character lives on infected, and you must hunt them down to reclaim the equipment and ammo you so desperately need. ZombiU will take you out countless times, but there is no feeling of pointless repetition. You will enjoy the challenge that follows.
    Nintendo took the decision to package this game with their new machine for a reason. Trust them. It's a purchase you won't regret.
  62. Dec 2, 2012
    It would be difficult to offer any review for ZombiU without words like "intense", "atmospheric", or "terrifying." While this game rewards those who play with caution after your first handful of deaths, you'll get a sense for what works and what doesn't, and this will likely allow for a better flow, and a more enjoyable experience. The features that make this a "WiiU" game may take some getting used to, and most will find-- after they have become accustomed to managing your inventory while remaining vulnerable to attacks, for example-- that these features simply work and add to the gameplay experience. Scanning a room with your gamepad becomes second nature with time, and offers something that you've never been able to experience in a game before. In many ways, ZombiU may very well be more about what a player DOESN'T know as it is anything else. At first this can be a titch frustrating, as trying to figure out just how to use your weapons efficiently and effectively can lead to accidental deaths. The games refusal to hold your hand can land you into some tough spots and some early mistakes you make may be more due to your general cluelessness as a supposed Zombie Apocalypse survivor (read, "noob"), than it is to fair and challenging gameplay. But these moments will pass soon enough, if you give the game a chance. Over time you will become familiar with game and the element of the unknown will shift from frustrations to intrigue. "What's around that corner?" "Is that animal showing up on my radar a bird or a Zombie?" "What does a survivor have to do to get a working map around here!?" may all be questions that are asked repeatedly, while moody, understated music and solid graphics carry you along through an overall very enjoyable experience. In short, this game is a unique experience which is not without its faults or frustrations, though overall provides an intensely enjoyable thrill that can keep a player up at night either playing it, or for those who are more timid/easily scared, making it harder to sleep. If this is a sign of things to come for the WiiU, it's going to be a great ride. Expand
  63. Dec 3, 2012
    This is a true survival horror game.
    Try the game for yourself and then decide if you like it. Don't let reviews make your mind up for you.
    Not since Resident Evil 2 on the PS1 have I felt that I have played a true scary zombie game, until now. The later incarnations of the RE series has turned it from the amazing survival horror it used to be, to an action based, guns blazing, Gears of
    War attempted clone.
    ZombiU actually makes you not want to use your gun for the fear of running out of ammunition.
    So you will find yourself actually avoiding Zombies and steering away from them as to not risk dying, and/or wasting precious ammo.
    The gamepad features are great, however, some may consider them to have flaws, depending on how you approach the game. For example, changing weapons, you have to select the particular weapon you want on the gamepad screen; changing your inventory items around, using med-kits and different items.
    Pros - touch screen interface, select the desired weapon/item with a simple press.
    Cons - have to look away from the TV screen to organise inventory to select specific items.

I consider the cons of this a good thing, it adds to the suspence and forces you to prepare for situations before walking in blindly.
    If this was a real life situation and you had a backpack of limited goodies and weapons, you would actually have to stop and go through your stuff of collectiables the same way to find what you want.
    And yes, although this is just a video game and shouldn't be compared to a hypothetical situation in real life, it's "survival horror", and it's doing an amazing job of it.

Graphics - Fantastic for current-generation, not quite Next-Gen worthy as it is a launch title. It has a dirty grainy look all over for atmospheric purposes which may be getting mistaken for "bad graphics" by some "critics."

Controls - Typical First-person with some unique additions. Left Trigger to aim, Right Trigger to shoot. If you don't aim before you fire , your character will just "shove" for those close encounters when trying to push Zombies away from you.
    It plays quite different from a typical Call of Duty game, which are meant for a more cinematic experience/presentation and just all out action and fancy effects (yes, even the Zombie mode in Black Ops 2).

Ubisoft did a great job and I commend them for their efforts on this. It's immersive, scary and definitely a worthwhile purchase for the Wii U.
  64. Dec 7, 2012
    As one of Wii U launch titles thing game delivers an experience unlike anything else on the market. 10 out of 10 this is the Wii U Killer app. You must play this game if you own a Wii U
  65. Dec 26, 2012
    Zombi U is a launch title for the Wii U. After playing is for a few hours, I think I can judge this game fairly. The game takes place somewhere in London, and, obviously, something very bad has happened. The plot consists of an unknown man talking to you via gamepad, which is a nice touch, making it feel like a walkie talkie or something of that nature. I am never unsure of what my objective is or where I should be heading. There are plenty of items stashed in hard to see places, which is good for collectors, but there is limited inventory space. Should I take the planks and buy myself a few seconds behind a door or an energy drink and sprint into the hoard? I also found myself taking note of where more useful items were (flares), and always making room for that medi-pack. It's nice not being bombarded by items in your inventory, which is controlled on the gamepad screen. There is limited ammo in the game, and you can't take much damage which makes this a true survival horror game. You need to have a strategy, diversions, and play it safe. You definitely will not be running and gunning. Rather, sneaking and cricket batting. which, in my opinion, makes for great suspense. You never know what is around the next corner or behind the next door. When it comes time for combat you have to swing precisely, as far as your distance from the zombie, and always be moving and watching your back. Those zombies will come out of the woodwork once they get started. The only real complaint I have about the combat is the variety of weapons, or lack thereof. A crowbar? Baseball bat? Even an awl? Anything with even a slightly different feel or swing mechanic would be welcome. As for guns and such, conserve your ammo until you really feel you need it, because it is scarce. This game isn't exactly a walk in the park. Once your character is overrun by the flesh eating demons, which is very likely to happen, you revert to the initial safe-house, arcade style. A new character will be summoned and briefed by the "narrator" through the gamepad. All the items your previous character had are now strapped to the back of one of those vile creatures leaving you no other choice than to trek back to your corpse and take the pack. This is a great idea making the gameplay suspenseful, progressive, and gives a little old school feel to it. You can unlock shortcuts along the way so you never have to travel too far to retrieve your corpse, unless you pass over a shortcut I suppose. There have been a lot of complaints about graphics. This is a Nintendo system, and it has, by far, the best graphics I have ever seen on a Nintendo system. On par with Xbox 360 games now(I haven't played Ps3 enough to compare). Also, this is a launch title, so it is very impressive what they have done as far as high definition on their first attempt. No, it isn't photo real, but I don't need that in my games. It is fun regardless. The lighting is done very well and does a good job of creating that spooky environment along with the sound effects and the music. Overall, this is a great game. It brings back the suspenseful feeling I haven't felt since the first Resident Evil games, along with frustration at the demise of your 1,500 point character who was befallen by a Buckingham Guard. The attack mechanic is a little clunky, but I don't think that necessarily works against the game, but the lack of different melee weapons surely does. The gamepad integration is awesome! I give this game an 8/10. A great mature game on a Nintendo system, hopefully we will see many more. Expand
  66. Dec 11, 2012
    survival horror is back
    Immersive and fresh reinstallment of the survival horror genre after it got killed by action shooters like resident evil 4 or dead space 2. This game can without a doubt be placed next to resident evil 2, silent hill 2 or dead space 1. Standing out gameplay instead of shooter action, story by atmosphere and gameplay like demon souls instead of hollywood on the rail
    cutscenes, innovative controls (prepper pad!!!!), slow paced hard and creepy horror with atmosphere.Love it or hate it. Expand
  67. Dec 20, 2012
    Is ZombiU one of the most polished games I've ever played? No. Does it have amazing combat or stunning graphics? No. But it is one of the most innovative, challenging and frightening games I have ever played! Yes!

It utilizes the WiiU game pad in a way that not only adds to the game, but makes it an integral part of the game. Every time I look in my backpack my adrenaline starts
    pumping and I know I am completely vulnerable to whatever zombie might be lurking in a dark corner or waiting around the next bend. Whenever I push the tracker button and see those little red dots pop up on the map, my heart skips a beat and I know I am just moments away from a grueling zombie attack. ZombiU is by far one of the most difficult games I have ever played. You will die a lot, but it is the intense challenge the game poses that makes me want to keep playing more and see if I can climb up the leader board. I still don't know how some of you racked up 15,000+ points. If only I could successfully kill my last survivor and recover all of my supplies before getting mauled by the zombie horde that killed me the time before. The scarcity of ammunition, and explosive weapons also makes you think twice about killing a loaner zombie when you can whip out your trusty cricket bat. ZombiU is also probably the scariest video game I have ever played, with the original Resident Evil coming in a close second. I highly recommend playing it at night with the lights out. It is constantly suspenseful and always keeps you on your toes. Although ZombiU's graphics aren't super polished or sharp, I really do feel their grittiness contributes to the rawness of the game and never takes away from it's chilling atmosphere. The lighting in ZombiU is great! The use of the flash light is a very effective medium and adds to the chilling atmosphere of the game. There is nothing like walking down a dark narrow hallway with nothing but your flashlight to guide your way, and do not let it run out of batteries. You don't want to be caught in the dark with your guard down. In closing, if you are looking for a fresh take on the Zombie survival horror (not FPS) genre then you need to pick up ZombiU! Your Wii U collection will not be complete without it. Expand
  68. Dec 27, 2012
    ZombiU is an excellent game and deserves its place among survival horrors best. Although lacking some polishing and currently requires a patch for a few bugs, it is an enjoyable experience. The gamepad use adds to the immersion and challenge of the game. Graphics are good and you can't really judge them as most environments are poorly lit but the lighting is still superb. The gameplay is fun although some may find the common use of the cricket bat tedious but I found it realistic. There is a genuine sense of fear when a more than two zombies assault you at once. Expand
  69. Jan 1, 2013
    I love this game and this game has game breaking glitches that can completely destroy your progress and force you to restart from scratch several times over. So to be very clear: I love the slow horror-filled progress of the game, the clunky process of killing zombies with a cricket bat, the search for ammunition, all of that. The death of your character and the process of going to kill your old zombified self to get a backpack full of stuff is great.

The problem is when you go back to kill yourself but can't retrieve from your old self things that are absolutely required in order for the game to continue. Essentially you can take 50 hours worth of game progress and throw it right out the window. This is because ZombiU does not retain any intermediate saves that you could go back to if something goes wrong, and because players have discovered and reported that many game-breaking glitches just crop up that destroy the game. Each time that happens you have to go back to the very very beginning. When you hit a problem like this, contact Ubisoft for support and this is what I got back:
    "Unfortunately, you are most likely going to need to create a new save profile. We are not able to recover lost or damaged saved files from either the cloud or other methods. We have reported this issue to the devs. Contact us again if you have additional questions." [there was no "lost of damaged" save file. My character died and there was no way to obtain a particular item that he was carrying that was necessary for plot progress"]

Take a look at the ZombiU forums (http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/383-ZombiU)
    "Game breaking bug - ladder disappears!!"
    "Another ZombiU Game Breaking Glitch"

And this nice statement, in a 2-page series of posts by frustrated gamers:

"Ubisoft, as far I can see, you received your first notifications of game breaking bugs over a month ago on this forum.
    Since then, this forum has been flooded with further reports which have mostly fallen upon deaf ears.
    While admittedly the Forum Manager Ubi-Mush has been acknowledging these reports on occasion and reportedly forwarding the issues described, there has been absolutely no indication that the developers have been acknowledged any of these issues."

In essence, excellent gameplay is ruined by the complete and total loss of your campaign if you fall prey to any number of serious programming bugs. Ubisoft has not acknowledged the problems, has not issued a patch, and has not offered even a hint as to whether they will patch the game at all. For some who play this, it turns out great and they don't get nailed by the many programming bugs. I have had to repeat 40 hours of campaign twice and after the third game-ending crash, I have to give up.
  70. Jan 7, 2013
    I have 7 games for the Wii U: New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Scribblenauts Unlimited, GameParty Champions (Don't ask, it was a gift), Assassins Creed III, and the one I keep coming back to (besides Assassins Creed II) ZombiU. There are many mixed feelings about this great title. Personally, I find this one of the best launch games there are for the Wii U. Several hate it because of its "horrible and ugly" graphics, and game changing bugs. Most of the 1990's games are the best and on the Top 100, but did they have fantastic graphics? No. Graphics are a big part of a game, but not the biggest factor to choosing a game to play. I actually think the graphics were fantastic for a game so early on in the Wii U's lifetime. The setting was so creepy, horrifying, and ugly that it made the game. An apocalypse is supposed to be ugly. I doubt when there are zombies you will go outside and say, "It's so pretty outside, what beautiful weather." Another thing people are complaining about is the use of the cricket bat. Well it isn't that bad. The use of gamepad, difficulty, and "heart-attack" moments complete this game. So pick up this game with your Wii U and you will be pleased for a while. I suggest that you are not 5 playing this game, or you will literally **** your pants. Survival-Horror. Expand
  71. Jan 9, 2013
    One of the best games of the year. Its a zombie game that's actually scary to play. It makes even one or two zombies frightening, let alone a hoard. The sound/music is amazing and perfectly timed. The use of the Wii U pad feels natural. Its also very challenging which gives you an authentic zombie experience. People say the melee system gets repetitive but they probably didn't even find all the hidden weapons or loot for ammo because there are great weapons like the cross-bow where you can pick up your used arrows. Plenty of great weapons and ways to kill while still giving you a scary feeling. You also have the option to play this game with 1 life, meaning 1 life and your whole game is over. Up for a challenge?

The worst part of the game is the story. I didn't feel it was too bad myself, but when you have many children who don't want to dig deeper at the story, its understandable. It doesn't tell you everything up front, and even then, what kind of story other than survival do you expect? There's also letters around the game that you could read and try figuring stuff out but I never read them. There's a story but I wont go deeper. Buy this game if you're into zombies and survival. Don't buy it if you rather play Borderlands.
  72. Jan 10, 2013
    I really loved the ZombiU experience.
    The gameplay was awesome, I really felt like i have to survive, and have been scared many times.
    The game was hard and addictive, each death is gonna make you scream.
    The graphisms were quite good and acceptable.

ZombiU is a survival horror, not a FPS, If you prefer shoot zombies instead of hit them with a cricket bat, choose Call Of Duty Black Ops II.
  73. Jan 12, 2013
    A very good and hard Survival Horror game with multiple endings, pretty intense and probably will scare the sh*t out of you, great controls and great use of the GamePad, definitely a must-have for the Wii U.
  74. Apr 27, 2013
    This game, for me, is one of the few actual survival-horror titles to come out in the last few years. Not only did it instill a true sense of dread and tension but it made me cautious of my every move and think about every situation. One of my favourite games of 2012 and a game I still enjoy playing now. A real slice of terror instead of the copy and paste spam fests of other 'tripple A' games.
  75. Mar 13, 2013
    This game Is a great Survival Horror game. It is very slow with great atmosphere. It is really good how one zombie can be a threat and get you. The gamepad features are really cool with 2 ways to control it, using the gyroscopic sensor or if you don't feel like moving it around you can use the right analog stick. The gamepad is used as a scanner and as your inventory which is really cool. There isnt a huge amount of content and the graphics are not that great. But the lighting system and the cool ways the gamepad is used make up for that. Is this a game for everyone no It is a game if you are a fan of TRUE SURVIVAL HORROR. A great way to tell if you will like this game is if you like the first 3 resident evil games. This game is slow paced survival horror and that is what I like about this game. Expand
  76. Mar 17, 2013
    ZombiU is one of the greater zombie games developed. It has a more haunting and creepy atmosphere than most zombie games. I feel that Nintendo achieved this with the lack of zombies you encounter. Sure, there isn't one around every corner, but that sense of surprise when you do come across one of the undead only adds to the intensity of the game.
  77. Apr 12, 2013
    I was looking forward into fun with zombiU, and when I got it, I had a little fun.
    First of all, the game is a survival horror about the zombie Apocalypse in London,
    the game is challenging because you have a limited amount of ammo, and
    if you're character dies: they're dead and you have to play as another survivor,
    but you can encounter your dead survivor and get his or her backpack
    back.
    All though, melee is one way to quickly (or not) go through the game, though melee gets
    repetitive after a while. The Multiplier is something less people mention about the game
    though the 2 player VS mode is a little much like left 4 dead's VS mode, only with a Wii U gamepad
    and Wii remote, if you don't have a pro controller, the survivor with a wii remote play's like an arcade game, only without the light gun and I found that for best results of using a Wii remote on multiplayer,
    use a Wii Zapper, and if you don't know what that is already SEARCH IT UP. Anyway's multiplayer has only 2 modes one, which is just KILL that Zombie Then Kill the next as of it gets repetitive and frustrating after a while, the second one, in which one survivor must capture all of the points before the zombies do, think of it as team fortress 2's Capture the Point mode, only not as repetitive but STILL frustrating, even though it has good ideas. So, over all
    SINGLE PLAYER: great
    MULTIPLAYER: frustrating and repeatitive!
  78. Jul 15, 2013
    I couldn’t help feeling sad after finishing this game. This is one of those games you don’t want to finish in a good way). I choose to play this game at night with no one around to bother me, It was an amazing experience. The way the gamepad works is such an awesome addition, you don’t feel save going through your inventory, i kept watching every 2 seconds at the TV if i was not being attack from behind.
    Even though you find some powerful weapons you never feel save wandering around London, you have to make strategy’s to make it out alive in the best way possible since you don’t want to spoil all your ammo at once. There have been times my hart of was pounding so fast and so hard i had to just stop playing this game. But there is a catch.. you can’t just save on the spot. You will have to find your save zone and save over there. ZombiU is a true survival and those who gave this a low rating are either not very good at it or don’t want to take their time to play through this game.
  79. Sep 18, 2013
    This is the game that made me buy the Wii U. ZombiU is as survival as it can be. Every zombie is a threat, ammo is limited, and dying have consequences (in most cases you lose your stuff, and you have to go from your safe house to where you died to recover them). This game doesn't pause when you look at your inventory, read some document, or picklock a door (but there is a pause button, if you need a break and you haven't saved). The difficulty is medium to hard; but it can be increased with the option of 1 life game over.

The graphics are average (for today standards); but if you are used to Wii games, you'll look at this as a huge improvement. The overall ambiance feels dark, deserted, and sometimes frightening. The horror factor comes from the sound department, the eerie locations, and occasionally sudden panic situations (like a horde coming to kill you).

It lacks online multiplayer mode; but there is offline multiplayer, with one player controling the survivor with a Wiimote and nunchuck, or a Wii U Controller Pro, and the other deploys zombies in the map with the gamepad. Here the game is more action oriented. In single player mode, the game keeps a score that is published online, and appears in other people games if it's on the top ones.

ZombiU had the potential of being the best horror game in this generation; but it fell short in the graphic aspect, and it didn't went as deep into twisted situations that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia did. However it's still a great game, and I highly recommend it.
  80. Nov 17, 2013
    I have no clue why so many critics gave this game a bad review. Sure, there are some bugs, but none of them are game-breaking. It's a great game, and I would love for Ubisoft to make a sequel and fix some things and add a few things that are missing, but the game itself is pretty amazing, and one of the only games i have ever played, on any system, that has made me truly scared.
  81. Dec 24, 2013
    (This is a very long review that goes in depth) I'm a bit late to the ZombiU launch date, this was supposed to be one of the Wii U's main launch title and was supposed to showcase how to the gamepad can be used in harmony with the TV.It does that exactly. ZombiU is Zombie thriller that focuses not on the shoot and hope you dont die gameplay but instead takes Zombie killing back to its roots.Focusing in on planning, conservation of ammo, if you try to run and shoot on this you are going to last 10 minutes.ZombiU reminds me of the days back when the N64 had resident evil. You were on edge, it was tough gameplay you had to be wise with the little ammo you had. ZombiU is probably one of the greatest Zombie games ever and one of the greatest FPS games ever. ZombiU in my opinion has achieved its goal of being realistic, tense but at the same time give a Zombie experience that is ultimately fun and memorable. The story line is a bit confusing at places especially at the start with Some "Prepper" telling what to do but does get interesting I wont spoil the fun though.I'll split the rest of the review into specific features of the game.

Setting/Location-
    The setting being London is an interesting choice to say the least as here in the UK you would have trouble finding any firearm unless its an air rifle. Also being set in London a city makes the chances of anyone owning an axe or chainsaw extremely unlikely but that all aside, I personally love the settings a trip to the The Tower Of London is something I will not likely forget. If have you played the demo you would have completed the nursery level, that nursery is one the most scariest Zombie experience I have ever had. 9/10

Combat-
    A lot of people complain about the clunky combat in this game and the lack of extra melee weapons but this all adds to the realism of the game, as I said earlier its unlikely that you will find anything better. As for the clunky combat I dont think its that clunky but this also adds to the ever increasing difficulty of the game. A great way to get more used to the combat is to play the multiplayer which is excellent. The combat at times is very clunky but again gives you a challenge (And I play it on Chicken Level). There is quite a range of guns to find and use from the Desert Eagle (Known in the game as the magnum I think) to the silent deadly Crossbow which is a very fun weapon to use. 8/10

Difficulty-
    I would like to think I'm quite the expert gamer choosing to play a lot of games on the hardest setting, but this was a challenge for me I chose to play on Chicken which was the only one other that normal. I assume it makes the zombies more docile and not quite as sharp but even with that 3 hours I had already died 5 times. Which sounds fine if I was playing a simple die and respawn from the last checkpoint game but alas this game decided to put an interesting spin in that, everytime you die in this game you respawn but at the safe house and as a different survivor, your previous survivor has now turned into a zombie and has all of its weapons with it and you have to go and find to get it all back. Making this a frustrating yet challenging way to die and respawn. 10/10

Multiplayer-
    A small feature with huge potential. Multiplayer is a great way to showcase the gamepads features and makes me wish there was a RTS game for Wii U. Play as the King of Zombies who can spawn zombies to attack a survivor (Player 2 with a Wii Nunchuk Combo or Wii U Pro Controller) capture flags and try to stop the survivor capturing flags. I have had a lot of fun with multiplayer unfortunately limited by only playing with 2 players this shows what can be done in the future with FPS games imagine spawning MW3 juggernauts to try and kill the other players and this could be done online. There are 3 modes in ZombiU's multiplayer Assault basically CTF, Kill Box where the survivor just needs to kill as many zombies as they can, Survival where its time based as opposed to kill based (this is a Uplay reward)
    Overall Multiplayer has a lot of potential 9/10

Graphics-
    This is a let-down unfortunately they're not great but they aren't necessarily bad, they could just be improved is all I will say. 7/10

Gamepad Use-
    This is amazing giving a constant map, letting you scan rooms for items saves so much time but the gamepad use also adds another great amount of difficulty as the game does not pause for you while arranging your equipment or picking a lock so while your attention is fixed on the gamepad on the TV a zombie could be right behind you this adds more difficulty to the game. Overall this game gives us the reason why the Wii U has a gamepad 10/10

Overall this is a must buy and with the talk of a 26th December eshop sale with ZombiU being reduced to 7.99 there is no reason not to buy this. This game has laid down the foundation for many more great Wii U games. I hope there is a sequel even if it has to be cross platform. 9/10 game
  82. Feb 28, 2014
    By the way, you can piss off wth stupid, futile, invisible assistant. He's not only a ball buster but a morale destroyer as well. He doesn't help. When does he help? Exactly. Other than scanning doors and **** constantly about cameras and good riddance if a survivor dies because the makers of this program basically sat around a conference table and decided "what if we made a zombie first person shooter that could become uh......"the most unbeatable" in the WORLD." We'll be rich by Xmas next year for gods sake people will clamber for it just to prove they can do it!, the American market is ours! Sound familiar? I think so.
    And no. Give a challenge, but you gotta play fair. Otherwise, it's not a real game. It's a joke.
  83. Mar 24, 2014
    I have to be honest, when I got this game I didn't really expect much. I read some reviews about it and i heard mixed reactions. Some people loved it while some despised it. It's not until I started playing it for myself that I developed my own opinion.
    At first the game starts of a bit slow. The controls take some getting use to and you only have the cricket bat. Which is fun, don't get
    me wrong. But you crave for a weapon after a while.
    But ones I started getting a hang of it it turned out to be pretty good. This game is very tense. I think that even the most hardened of gamers will get some scares out of it.
    Once you start finding weapons and upgrading them the game gets pretty addicting.
    There are definitely some great moments in this game like when you go into The Royal Safe for example.
    I appreciate what Ubisoft did with this game. It's not just a mindless shoot-em up game like Dead Island or Left4Dead. It's everything a survival-horror stands for. If you're not into slower but creepier games than this isn't your game. It got overlooked in my opinion. If you have a WiiU and haven't played this game for some reason, do so. Trust me, you won't regret it. Especially considering it goes around for 10 euros nowadays. This game deserves a bit more credit.
  84. Jun 5, 2014
    I bought this at launch along with New Super Mario and CoD Black Ops 2. I played this through over and over again. Whenever I tried the other games I got bored and went back to ZombiU. I have no idea how people can hate on this. I imagine they were brought up on modern games that are really just linear movie like experiences with save points every two minutes.

My wife actually loves
    watching me play ZombiU and will bribe me to play it just so she can watch. Expand
  85. Jul 7, 2014
    One of the few modern day survival horror games. It is thrilling, intense and you will die.

If you can look past the obvious flaws you will find a great and terrifying experience
  86. Jul 11, 2014
    I would rate the scare factor up there with Fatal Frame. I would rate the zombie content next to Resident Evil. I felt that the game play was satisfactory and the graphics were good, not great, but definitely solid. The bugs have been fixed as far as I can tell. I have never encountered any except for when I phased through a gate getting an item. I didn't mind though because it saved me time walking the long way around to get it lol. The game is slow, that is until you learn how to play it. The slow pace builds suspense. It is an intense game and I love it. On my second play through I figured out how to use crawl points and bottle necks to kill zombies easier. I've also found explosives in the areas I can shoot to kill more zombies, learned how to use the flares, mines, and molotov cocktails. The thing is you need to learn how to survive and once you do this game becomes awesome and allows for multiple strategies. Most people I've seen play this hate it because they don't understand it and how to play it properly. It is not a FPS run and gun. You have to think about your next move if you want to survive. Expand

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It takes a couple of hours to fully realize that ZombiU – not an eerie game, but a rather eerily boring one – is a goner. I hope that Ubisoft will hack the head off this franchise before it turns into ZombiU 2 and starts biting people’s wallets.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    An intense experience. ZombiU delivers one of the most intense experiences in recent history. Moody, violent and suitably tough, it managed to keep me playing long into the night. [Jan 2013]
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    For fans of the survival horror genre, ZombiU is filled to the brink with challenges and many hours of gameplay.