• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2012
7.6

1. Jan 13, 2013
    Zombiu is a great survival horror, better than the new Resident evil style. This is a terrorific game with an interesting way, great atmosfear and beautiful graphics. I love this game, this is a fantastic surprise for survival horror fans.
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    This game certainly deserved better reviews than what it got. The controls were frustrating at first, but then I actually grew to like the sense of limited movement. Its not like CoD at all. It feels like you are actually controlling a human body and all the physical limitations that entails. It contributes greatly to the frantic, scrambling, survival sense. The game has some genuine fright to it and has a 2 player mode that is not only funny, but also creative and extremely entertaining. I wouldve liked to see more options with melee combat besides a single weapon (a cricket bat) since you are very limited on ammo, but I think Ubisoft did a great thing with this game, and I would love to see a sequel where they refine some of these issues. Expand
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    we now have a precedent for what all wii u FPS should be like. watch the trailer to see how it works: you are fully immersed and have to use your body to move the screen around to see exactly what you're getting yourself into. it's almost like you're in the game itself. like nothing i've ever played before.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    OMFG this game is absolutely hands down the best survival horror I've ever played in my life. Do not play on easy mode. No ammo pickups, maximize your skills with melee, and get ready to get your ass TORTURED. I thought the Wii U was going to be the weakest new console to hit but this title makes it a brutal, brutal new episode in gaming. Going to pick it up real soon (have only made these judgments based on my neighbor's new setup). Expand
  5. Dec 3, 2012
    This game is Terrifyingly AWESOME. Seriously. I haven't had this good a time getting put in straight up horrific moments in a long time. This game PUTS YOU in the world of zombie-London and does wonders for making an immersive, horrifying experience. I played it all weekend in a pitch black house and I recommend you do the same.
  6. Nov 21, 2012
    Incredible. Those who trash this game clearly don't know what type of game they're playing. This is not a twitch shooter, it's a survival horror game. Yes, a genre that's just about dead finally has a new AAA game. This is not a game where you just run around holding the trigger and you win, this is a game that actually takes SKILL. Learning how to conserve ammunition is very important. the game makes great use of the Wii U gamepad, and it really showcases a lot of amazing things it can do. Highly recommended. Expand
  7. Jul 5, 2014
    This is exactly what a wii u game should play like , it utilizes the gamepad perfectly and its an also very fun survivor horror first person shooter , lots of weapons to choose from , zombies to kill , and hidden paths everywhere , it was a great launch title , nowadays you can get it for 20$ and its worth every penny
  8. Nov 27, 2012
    I think this game is not getting the love it deserves. It's a great game for the Wii U. Great graphics, great sound, and it's a very unique approach to the zombie genre that just won't go away. If you own a Wii U, i say buy this game over the rest. Mass Effect 3 and other titles are just not worthy to be in the same level as ZU. Give it a try. The best Wii U game so far!
  9. Dec 1, 2012
    Finally an outstanding zombie survival game and brings back old Resident Evil feel to new life. The multiplayer feature is great and I hope it expands I lovesurvival modes especially online. Art Style is nice, but Still needs an upgrade. The Wii U controller brings back zombies and I love inventory uses. This is next generation gaming.
  10. Nov 18, 2012
    Not sure what's up with all of these 0-3 reviews--come on now. I'll be giving it a 10 just to boost it from the trolls.

The graphics are not great--that's its low point. They absolutely nailed the feel and atmosphere with the music, sounds, and locations. If you are a fan of survival horror, you'll certainly want to check this game out. I'm not saying it's a timeless masterpiece,
    but get out of here with those 0 scores. Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    GameSpot gave this awesome a 45/100, but then they deleted the review. Yep. Anyway, ZombiU it's an awesome game not only because it's better than the new entries in the series that used to be the bomb in the Horror genre a decade ago ( Resident Evil and Silent Hill), but also because it's challenging, rewarding and it uses the GamePad in a great way. Get this. It's gold.
  12. Mar 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why ZombiU has recieved bad reviews- the world may never know. It isn't a game for everyone. And do not mistake it as your typical mindless-shooting, buns ablazing Call of Duty:Zombies-like first person horror shooter. ZombiU sets out to do 2 things- to scare the crap out of you, and to utilize the Wii U GamePad well. It succeeds at both. Since this is a Wii U game, I'll go over the Wii U Gamepad features first. Your primary tool in-game is a backpack (the BOB). It contains your inventory-you drag items you want to use to the top-when looking in the BOB's items menu, as well as a scanner (used to scan secret messages, tell you what items a zombie has, or are in a box or something), and as a map. The Wii U GamePad's touchscreen is used to turn on/off your flashlight (which can recharge automatically), as well as tapping it when breaking barriers or opening heavy objects (similar to button mashing scenes in videogames), and picking locks. In the assymetric local multiplayer mode, it is used, in a topdown view, to select where to place zombies on a map to attack the survivor(who has a Wii U Pro controller or Wiimote and Nunchuck, in a FPS view). When you are using most of these features (with the exceptions of multiplayer, turning your flashlight on/off, and the map), your TV is put in a third person view of everything in the room you are in, and at any moment, you could be attacked (which adds to the realism of this game-since in a real zombie attack, zombies are not going to stop persuing you just because you are looking in a box for food or ammo).

The story- there isn't much of one. A new plague, part of 400 year old, long deceased scientist John Dee's black prophecy, that is of the 'Blight' spreading across London, has come true. The Blight is the zombie infection that has spread throughout London. You are one of the survivors of the Blight, who has been saved by the Prepper, a war veteran who is your helper throughout the game. The Prepper believes that there is 'no saving the world- no evacuation. No cure', and that one must just... survive. Throughout the game, you will also meet a scientist trying to make a cure to the blight, as well as the Ravens of Dee, a secret organization trying to help survivors and stop the Blight. Throughout the game, you may read (or rather hear what your character is reading) or hear recordings of letters of people who were trapped and about to be attacked (for example, a recording in the nursery), which are creepy, and sort of evil,in the sense that they show you the damage the Blight has caused the people of London, and make you angry at the zombies, but even more afraid of them.

Now for the rest of the uniqueness of the game, and other info: The gritty, dirty streets of London gives it a post-apocalyptic atmosphere, and the music adds to the thrill. The gaming industry has been growing stale of truly scary survival horrors, and ZombiU is not only scary, but unique in the sense that when your character becomes Zombified, you play as a new survivor with 6 shots,a cricket bat and a flashlight, and have to find your last character, now zombified, kill it(as well as the zombie who zombified THAT one,and probably a couple more), and get your equipment back. Another thing that makes it unique is the fact that u have limited ammo, and have to scavenge supplies. This makes you rely primarily on your cricket bat. I have to agree with reviewers that this can get rather boring, with only one animation. If there were more animations, this would probably not get as stale.

Apart from the regular story mode, there is Survival mode (the same story, but with only one life), and an assymetric PvP multiplayer mode, that, while i had personally been skeptical about at first, is actually rather fun. The person with the GamePad is the 'King of Zombies', who places Zombies around a map (this requires strategy- especially with the limitations of where you can put them, and the number of them you can have at a time), VS a survivor with a class of guns and equipment, as well as more guns and ammo scattered throughout the map, to pick up at any time. There are three multiplayer modes- Kill Box (the survivor killing as many Zombies as possible), Assault (essentially Domination with four flags- the first player to control all four flags wins), and Survival. These multiplayer modes are incredibly fun, and they show off another of the Wii U's features, assymetric gameplay. Overall, I find ZombiU to be a very good game. It is scary and uses the Wii U GamePad rather well. While it is not the most beautiful videogame, it's lighting effects are great, and the dirty,gritty setting and creepy,suspenseful music add to the thrills that make this an incredible comeback to the horror genre. The game really places you in a Zombie appocolypse, and has amazing ideas, that are implemented very well. So I'd say this game deserves an 8.5 at the very least.
  13. Dec 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An excellent breath of life to survival horror. The hard core aspect of your character actually dying adds to it. Even if you're about to die from a bite the game will auto save so quickly that you won't be able to quit out before it's done. Don't fight it since that's probably what's caused people to have problems with the save functions. If you're dead you're dead and there isn't anything you can do about it. The Story is solid. However, there seems parts of it that should have been expanded on. Angles are frequently referenced in reference to Dee, but you never see one. The Opening credits claim the "alchemy of wealth from air" is the cause of the plague, but that's never explained. One character blames Science and Doctors, but if the plague were engineered why were their plague victims in Dee's day before genetically engineered viruses. At another point the game references "Vultures" have raided the "Ravens" safe houses. I thought that meant that I was going to encounter The Ravens Antithesis, but it never expands on that point ether. It never fully addresses the question of "Why is the Plague Happening?". In part, that makes this seem more real since you're player is just a random civilian, but it does leave you wanting more. Hopefully their is a Prequel and Sequel to explain and expand.

The Multiplayer is also unique. The only setting I like is CTF. The other settings are just a play until the person playing as zombies kills the survivor. I like CTF because I have a goal as the survivor, and the other settings are lacking in a clear goal other than play-till-you're-dead. The Irony is that in the Single player there is an arena mission that is just like the multiplayer. The goal for the Survivor in that is to survive and escape with your life. That would have been great to have in the multiplayer rather than just kill zombies till you're dead.

It would also have been interesting if they had worked in some form of Anti-Coop play. It would be nice to play though a second time, but with someone spawning the zombies trying to kill me. That way the predictability goes out the window, but it wouldn't be good to have available for the first run though so I can see why it wasn't done.

The multiplayer requires the Pro Controller. It will let the survivor play with the Wiimote and Nunchuck, but it's LITERALLY painful looking around with the Wii Mote. Really it did hurt my arm playing with the wiimote in first person for any length of time. It's just too heavy in one hand to be waving around fighting in First Person. With the pro controller my Wife and I were able to crank the Zombie difficulty up and I was able to play much better than I was with the difficulty way down with the Wiimote.

The game was fully worth buying at full price, and is one of the 3 must have games for the WiiU right now.
  14. Nov 25, 2012
    As a survival horror game, this game really does its job. Yeah you will end up beating zombies with a cricket bat a lot, but that's because supply conservation is a crucial and common element of any real survival horror game. I found the game to have a very dark and scary atmosphere that has kept me pacing myself wherever I go rather than running and gunning without a care. The story of a zombie plague is told through real time scenes (a la half-life) as well as numerous news paper pages and letters you find. I've found myself interested in all aspects of the game... I feel like the negative reviews for this are full of prematurely conceived biases and a fair number of reviewers were expecting the wrong kind of game. Expand
  15. Nov 21, 2012
    Amazing use of the Gamepad, sometimes it's broken, but that's the point. So hard, maybe the hardest I ever played in the last years. Just remember this isn't a normal first person shooter. It's a tactical survival horror. The gameplay it's the best part, maybe this a real survival horror, many zombies made me jump from my chair, specially when I was playing at night. Ubisoft did a great work making this game, because it's really haunted. When you die, you restart with a different character, and the last one you controlled is now chasing you. Great atmosphere. But sometimes is very slow and graphically, is very weak. But that's a good point, too. Just because the zombies look so horrible. A must-have for the Wii U. Expand
  16. Jul 11, 2014
    No Other Game Like It On Consoles Or PC. Now I Find Every Other Game To Be Irrelevant To Me. Zombi U Has Extremely Fun Gameplay. Cricket Bat is utterly boring. But I manage to go through most of the game without it. BECAUSE I MANAGE. I PREPARE. AND THATS WHAT THIS GAME TEACHES YOU. PREPARATION. USE NEW METHODS. SURVIVE.

The story builds up at a very good pace, but what lies under it is
    a great amount of subtext.

I'm just going to say... best game made by Ubisoft to date.
  17. Nov 19, 2012
    Along with resident evil revelations I would concider this one of the only true survival horror games to still exist in this modern day of casual games and faceroll uninteresting ideas. This game is tough, infact IGN gave the game a bad review just because of how terrible the reviewer playing was, this game is scary at times and the atmosphere is amazing! Play this game in the dark!
  18. Dec 30, 2012
    ZombiU is getting such a wide range of reviews because there are a lot of people expecting something from it that the game itself is not. This is pure and simple a survivor horror game more in line with the first Resident Evils on the Original Playstation. If you are looking for an FPS then turn away now because Zombiu is not an FPS. You are not going to run around completely demolishing everything in your path. This game is great! This game is intense and has you really scrambling to survive. You can not afford to underestimate any threat. There have been times where I barely survive a Zombie mob just to be brought down by a single Zombie later. Having to kill your former zombified self is an amazing concept as well and works wonderfully. This game is top notch and delivers on what it promises. You may die a few times getting use to the controls but once you do get use to them surviving becomes that much easier. The graphics are not as amazing as I would like but they do not take away from the experience either. Don't pass this game up if you are looking for a survival horror that will keep you on your toes! This game is worth every penny I spent on it. Expand
  19. Nov 18, 2012
    I see no reason to criticize this game for being exactly what it was advertised and hyped up to be. You get a survival horror that pushes you to the limits, but hey, that's what you do when you survive. You get pushed to the limits to survive. The graphics are pretty unique. Nothing impressive, but unique nonetheless. Gameplay great. If you don't like to be limited and like to have the upper hand constantly, this game isn't for you. Expand
  20. Dec 30, 2012
    ZombiU is the hard-core experience that the Wii U's launch has to offer. Nintendo claiming they want to provide for the hard-core--ZombiU is a difficult game which tests the abilities of the player. The difficulty heavily focuses on reaction-speed and the ability to multitask and plan ahead. A common complaint is that the melee combat with the cricket bat is forced--it honestly isn't if you are skilled and know how to use your weaponry well without being all gun-happy, remember this is not a run-and-gun first-person-shooter...this is a survival-horror.

Logic doesn't apply well to this game, though if you're playing ZombiU for its plot and story, then you shouldn't be playing it at all. It's very simple, and the whole point of the game is to be bossed around whilst exploring and surviving--Ubisoft provided well.

Only problem that I can find with the game that it is a bit buggy...though unless you're extremely unlucky, this won't cause any major game-breaking problems. ZombiU is a very tense and fun video game which can be enjoyed by anybody if they know what they're actually playing. A great multiplayer mode which allows for hours of gameplay outside of the main game...which only allows for two save slots, one being a special mode and not the actual main-game.

How long will YOU survive?
  21. Oct 31, 2013
    If you plan on buying this game, know this: this is not a FPS, this is a first person survival horror game that has shooting in its gameplay.
    that being said, the game is just awesome. zombies are tough and you need some time to kill one. you are not supposed to run n' gun zombies like most fps games, and instead you have to be methodical, scanning your enviroments, finding supplies and
    advancing slowly.
    One mistake might cost you a survivor's life, and then you become a new survivor. You can even hunt down the old survivor (now a zombie) and kill him to get his items back. neat.
    one advice: don't listen to reviewers who say the game is too hard or boring. they are the ones playing this with the wrong expectations.
    and know this: if you get past the first confusing hour of the game, it becomes a unique experience, unlike any other in this generation.
  22. May 4, 2014
    ZombiU is an amazing Zombie Survival horror game. Call me a fanboy, but I love the survival element in the game. What people don't like in it is that it's actually challenging. Every corner, every street and every hallway can have a painful death. Its scary, quick paced and the local multiplayer is fun! The big problem I had was the lack of weapons. Really, all I need is a shotgun and a pistol, but you get the idea. It needed a lot more weapons. Not coming from a "fanboy" perspective...I just liked the challenge. ZombiU gets 9/10. Expand
  23. Dec 3, 2012
    I nearly cancelled my pre-order of the special zombi u console after reading the ign and gamespot reviews because they where so bad. But it was to late for me to cancel so I ended up having to get it. So I got and played and I don't understand what ign and gamespot where playing. Zombi u is invative and really brings back the tension in to the survival horror genre. If you where disappointed by the action focused resident evil 6 this year, zombi u is what you have been waiting! Expand
  24. Nov 24, 2012
    Yes a 10, you know why? Because it is different from any zombie game, it actually makes you feel like a survivor, something that DayZ itself couldn't make it 100% right... People giving scores below 7 are just sick of zombie games, I get it, I am too, or at least I was, this game is the only reason i could find to get WiiU this early. The way they simulate the apocalypse is perfect, if you die you get to pick another character that was around the area, and get to kill your past-zombie-self, loot and continue surviving... It lacks in zombies just to give the tense atmosphere, making you wandering what happens next... The chances of getting bitten are HUGE and you actually get infected (just like the Half-Life 2 mod, No More Room in Hell) as I said, hen you kill your zombie character once you pick another survivor. Expand
  25. Jan 22, 2013
    The market is flooded with run and gun shooters and this one sets itself apart. It's more about surviving with limited resources and I mean limited. The atmospheric sounds add a great deal to the experience especially traveling in the dark. There is so much detail in this game I don't know where to begin like the fire and water effects are nicely done as well as lighting. But sure the visuals are not the games strong point but the gameplay is where it strikes. It's about carefully executed events that keep you alive and never rushing to reach the next objective, one small mistake and it's zombie food. Do yourself a favor and try this out. Get ready to jump out of your seat because they come when you least expect it. Expand
  26. Nov 21, 2012
    A great game. Difficulty is a little high, but it's supposed to be for survival games like this. The lack of ammo, the paranoia, and hesitancy of opening the next door.. because your radar tells you there are at least 4 zombies on the other side.. Will you use your limited ammo? No.. you should try using the melee weapon.. the cricket bat.. You have to lure them into a 1/1 fight.. any more than that, you can't handle.. That is ZombiU, decisions.. plans, how to survive, and how to conserve. It is hard, it is unforgiving. It doesn't deserve a 10, nor does it deserve the 0-5/10 scores many reviewers give. Metacritic is a joke of a review site. I feel sorry for people who's jobs depend on doing well on reviews.. only to have them take a dump all over them because it was too hard, and a lack of ammo.. If you have a WiiU and are interested in ZombiU, do yourself favor and go buy it. It's worth it. It's fun, it's a little terrifying. It's a great game. Expand
  27. Nov 22, 2012
    This game is amazing, a real survival horror, I think the only reason why people is **** about the game and giving bad rates is because is not on 360/PS3 or because they thought it was going to be like shoot like crazy and run like in Resident Evil 6 or Left4dead
  28. Nov 26, 2012
    Wow, this was a day one purchase as it s for me and I have to admit I played it for an hour and was somewhat unimpressed. I came back about a week later and told myself I was going to give it a fair shot and boy am I glad I ever did. The initial turn off to many gamers I think is that it is NOT a scripted "hold your hand" type of game and it aims to take from seasoned greats such as Dark Souls (Learning from dying), Metroid (Revisiting past places with new equipment to access new areas), and even Resident Evil One (Clunky Survival Horror) Although its not perfect graphically or combat wise It almost seems to be a necessity as the graphical style allows for more surprises (think Silent Hill Fog) and the minor clunkiness gives you a sense of urgency when attacking or running from Zombies. This game is great and like many Nintendo exclusives makes me realize why I enjoy games so much. The amount of ingenuity and new ideas far surpasses almost every modern day title to date and with a few more tweaks such as more melee weapons and some slightly better character animations, the future of this series could be very good. Expand
  29. Nov 18, 2012
    oh my god this is my first wii u game and its so good the graphics looks great and the sound effects so impressive i recommended this game for any wii u owner
  30. Dec 13, 2012
    ZombiU is an excellent survival horror game, in my opinion is a bit like the resident evil on playstation 1, in the only thing I complain a little is in the graphics, but everything else is excellent game.

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It takes a couple of hours to fully realize that ZombiU – not an eerie game, but a rather eerily boring one – is a goner. I hope that Ubisoft will hack the head off this franchise before it turns into ZombiU 2 and starts biting people’s wallets.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    An intense experience. ZombiU delivers one of the most intense experiences in recent history. Moody, violent and suitably tough, it managed to keep me playing long into the night. [Jan 2013]
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    For fans of the survival horror genre, ZombiU is filled to the brink with challenges and many hours of gameplay.