• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2012
7.5

1. Jul 18, 2013
    Now, this is what I'd call a Survival-Horror game! It has a high difficulty level and a great, tense atmosphere.

Loved it al the way though, the 13 hours it lasted, feeling the thrills every second.

Cons are graphics look a little outdated and the story is somewhat shallow, but the Gamepad adds a lot to the game play (radar and Backpack checking. You don't know how tense the game can
    get with just those two features)

It has nice reply value, too. Try playing in cooperating with others via Miiverse and the game renders an awesome online-multiplayer-like experience!!

And that's enough for me to give it a 9.
  2. Jul 15, 2013
    I couldn’t help feeling sad after finishing this game. This is one of those games you don’t want to finish in a good way). I choose to play this game at night with no one around to bother me, It was an amazing experience. The way the gamepad works is such an awesome addition, you don’t feel save going through your inventory, i kept watching every 2 seconds at the TV if i was not being attack from behind.
    Even though you find some powerful weapons you never feel save wandering around London, you have to make strategy’s to make it out alive in the best way possible since you don’t want to spoil all your ammo at once. There have been times my hart of was pounding so fast and so hard i had to just stop playing this game. But there is a catch.. you can’t just save on the spot. You will have to find your save zone and save over there. ZombiU is a true survival and those who gave this a low rating are either not very good at it or don’t want to take their time to play through this game.
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    After reading reviews that were either great or quite bad, I was still intrigued by this game. after passing it this is a great ride and is definitely worth a visit. the atmosphere and tension in this game is terrific I could feel my heart pumping sometimes as you never know what to expect around the corner. This is survival horror and you will die many times but this is part of the fun. There are some issues I had loading times were sometimes all over the place when just opening a door and it would be great if you could mark things on your map so you know where you need to trace back to if necessary.

You aren't given an unlimited supply of ammo or health recovery but this is part of the fun you really need to plan and strategise how you will survive for the next mission and I really liked this. The Wii U game pad is also used well serving as a map, inventory holder and also a cool feature where you can use it to scan your surroundings in the game for hidden secrets or messages. I was quite impressed and had a great time with it.

This game may not be for everyone but if you want a suspenseful, scary yet fun game this is for you. Patience is key to this game if you don't have it, then you won't survive very long.
  4. Sep 5, 2013
    What can videogames produce? What is their goal? I do believe VG are art, so they want to communicate, create experiences. ZombiU is one of the freshest experiences out there. You'll see people speaking about graphics and bla bla bla, this game is a MUST HAVE, an unique experience. Do you want to play generic games or have unique experiences? Your call
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    This is the game that made me buy the Wii U. ZombiU is as survival as it can be. Every zombie is a threat, ammo is limited, and dying have consequences (in most cases you lose your stuff, and you have to go from your safe house to where you died to recover them). This game doesn't pause when you look at your inventory, read some document, or picklock a door (but there is a pause button, if you need a break and you haven't saved). The difficulty is medium to hard; but it can be increased with the option of 1 life game over.

The graphics are average (for today standards); but if you are used to Wii games, you'll look at this as a huge improvement. The overall ambiance feels dark, deserted, and sometimes frightening. The horror factor comes from the sound department, the eerie locations, and occasionally sudden panic situations (like a horde coming to kill you).

It lacks online multiplayer mode; but there is offline multiplayer, with one player controling the survivor with a Wiimote and nunchuck, or a Wii U Controller Pro, and the other deploys zombies in the map with the gamepad. Here the game is more action oriented. In single player mode, the game keeps a score that is published online, and appears in other people games if it's on the top ones.

ZombiU had the potential of being the best horror game in this generation; but it fell short in the graphic aspect, and it didn't went as deep into twisted situations that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia did. However it's still a great game, and I highly recommend it.
  6. Feb 19, 2014
    This game certainly deserved better reviews than what it got. The controls were frustrating at first, but then I actually grew to like the sense of limited movement. Its not like CoD at all. It feels like you are actually controlling a human body and all the physical limitations that entails. It contributes greatly to the frantic, scrambling, survival sense. The game has some genuine fright to it and has a 2 player mode that is not only funny, but also creative and extremely entertaining. I wouldve liked to see more options with melee combat besides a single weapon (a cricket bat) since you are very limited on ammo, but I think Ubisoft did a great thing with this game, and I would love to see a sequel where they refine some of these issues. Expand
  7. Dec 24, 2013
    (This is a very long review that goes in depth) I'm a bit late to the ZombiU launch date, this was supposed to be one of the Wii U's main launch title and was supposed to showcase how to the gamepad can be used in harmony with the TV.It does that exactly. ZombiU is Zombie thriller that focuses not on the shoot and hope you dont die gameplay but instead takes Zombie killing back to its roots.Focusing in on planning, conservation of ammo, if you try to run and shoot on this you are going to last 10 minutes.ZombiU reminds me of the days back when the N64 had resident evil. You were on edge, it was tough gameplay you had to be wise with the little ammo you had. ZombiU is probably one of the greatest Zombie games ever and one of the greatest FPS games ever. ZombiU in my opinion has achieved its goal of being realistic, tense but at the same time give a Zombie experience that is ultimately fun and memorable. The story line is a bit confusing at places especially at the start with Some "Prepper" telling what to do but does get interesting I wont spoil the fun though.I'll split the rest of the review into specific features of the game.

Setting/Location-
    The setting being London is an interesting choice to say the least as here in the UK you would have trouble finding any firearm unless its an air rifle. Also being set in London a city makes the chances of anyone owning an axe or chainsaw extremely unlikely but that all aside, I personally love the settings a trip to the The Tower Of London is something I will not likely forget. If have you played the demo you would have completed the nursery level, that nursery is one the most scariest Zombie experience I have ever had. 9/10

Combat-
    A lot of people complain about the clunky combat in this game and the lack of extra melee weapons but this all adds to the realism of the game, as I said earlier its unlikely that you will find anything better. As for the clunky combat I dont think its that clunky but this also adds to the ever increasing difficulty of the game. A great way to get more used to the combat is to play the multiplayer which is excellent. The combat at times is very clunky but again gives you a challenge (And I play it on Chicken Level). There is quite a range of guns to find and use from the Desert Eagle (Known in the game as the magnum I think) to the silent deadly Crossbow which is a very fun weapon to use. 8/10

Difficulty-
    I would like to think I'm quite the expert gamer choosing to play a lot of games on the hardest setting, but this was a challenge for me I chose to play on Chicken which was the only one other that normal. I assume it makes the zombies more docile and not quite as sharp but even with that 3 hours I had already died 5 times. Which sounds fine if I was playing a simple die and respawn from the last checkpoint game but alas this game decided to put an interesting spin in that, everytime you die in this game you respawn but at the safe house and as a different survivor, your previous survivor has now turned into a zombie and has all of its weapons with it and you have to go and find to get it all back. Making this a frustrating yet challenging way to die and respawn. 10/10

Multiplayer-
    A small feature with huge potential. Multiplayer is a great way to showcase the gamepads features and makes me wish there was a RTS game for Wii U. Play as the King of Zombies who can spawn zombies to attack a survivor (Player 2 with a Wii Nunchuk Combo or Wii U Pro Controller) capture flags and try to stop the survivor capturing flags. I have had a lot of fun with multiplayer unfortunately limited by only playing with 2 players this shows what can be done in the future with FPS games imagine spawning MW3 juggernauts to try and kill the other players and this could be done online. There are 3 modes in ZombiU's multiplayer Assault basically CTF, Kill Box where the survivor just needs to kill as many zombies as they can, Survival where its time based as opposed to kill based (this is a Uplay reward)
    Overall Multiplayer has a lot of potential 9/10

Graphics-
    This is a let-down unfortunately they're not great but they aren't necessarily bad, they could just be improved is all I will say. 7/10

Gamepad Use-
    This is amazing giving a constant map, letting you scan rooms for items saves so much time but the gamepad use also adds another great amount of difficulty as the game does not pause for you while arranging your equipment or picking a lock so while your attention is fixed on the gamepad on the TV a zombie could be right behind you this adds more difficulty to the game. Overall this game gives us the reason why the Wii U has a gamepad 10/10

Overall this is a must buy and with the talk of a 26th December eshop sale with ZombiU being reduced to 7.99 there is no reason not to buy this. This game has laid down the foundation for many more great Wii U games. I hope there is a sequel even if it has to be cross platform. 9/10 game
  8. Mar 14, 2014
    I absolutely love Zombi U. Don't expect a game where you'll be immersed in some incredible storyline and lovable characters-this game isn't really about that. It's all about creating a terrifying atmosphere where you feel really alone and where you get legitimately scared and panicked when a group of zombies comes out of nowhere. Sometimes I find myself fumbling through my inventory haphazardly when I'm caught off guard by zombies because I wasn't prepared for it. It's a rush! I even start shooting poorly because I'm so panicked. It's just plain creepy and unpredictable. Best part about it is that once you die, you start as a new survivor with hardly any supplies (I'm sure you knew that). But that makes me try SO HARD to stay alive, making any zombie encounter terrifyingly realistic. Most first person shooters can't create those types of emotions because you know you'll just respawn again in a location right near where you died and you don't have anything to lose. Not in Zombi U. Survival means everything. Highly recommended. Expand
  9. Nov 18, 2012
    This is a very unique game that rewards the thoughtful player. If you come in wanting to just blast zombies, look elsewhere. However, if you like to tread lightly and think before you move then you're in for one heck of a scary and rewarding experience.
  10. Jan 2, 2013
    I'm a zombie fanatic so when I first heard about ZombiU I had to have it. It's literally the whole reason I bought a Wii U, and while it's not perfect it's a game that I recommend to all zombie fans. This is a survival horror game will both challenge and frighten you. Unlike most zombie games the infected actually won't go down without a fight, making encounters against more than one of them a tense ordeal, and if your off your game against even one of them it will spell doom for your character. One of the most unique features of ZombiU is the permadeath system, which means if your character dies their dead for good, at which point you come back as a new survivor who then has to go back and hunt down your now zombified old character and get your supplies back. It works really well and helps set ZombiU apart from just being another undead shooter. This game is also a fantastic way for Nintendo to show off what the Wii U is capable of doing with it's two screen functionality. For most of the game you'll look at the TV screen, but when your doing things like looting, lock-picking, and checking your backpack, ect. you'll be looking at the gamepad, the cool thing about this is that when your looking at the game-pad the outside world does not pause so your never safe and at any time a walker can come up and kill you while your distracted, so you really need to be aware of you surroundings at all time. All of these help make ZombiU a gem on the Wii U, and hopefully this will be the start of a Wii U exclusive zombie series. Now for the bad, if this game does get a sequel there are some things that need to be fixed. Gunplay needs to be better, melee combat, while satisfying, could benefit from more weapons (preferably something better than a weak cricket bat, a machete would be nice), there are some technical issues that need to be fixed, a better story that preferably let's you choose which characters you side with, and I don't want to have to wait for a door to open while the game is loading (sometimes this took close to a minute). But even with it's flaws ZombiU is a excellent and challenging zombie, survival-horror game for your Wii U. I highly recommend. Expand
  11. Dec 17, 2012
    It's a really survival horror. The graphics and story are not the best. But the mechanics with the gamepad are cool and the terror sensation is real. Good game!
  12. Nov 25, 2012
    Just would like to say that you should not look into the negative reviews about this game. Sure, first person zombie games have come out before, but nothing like this. The sheer level of detail and the lighting, and the environments all blend together to make a pretty damn good launch title. I especially like how, if you become infected, you play as the next survivor and have to kill your previous player. Thought that was really an ingenious idea. I have only scratched the surface, but from what I can see, there is no wrong with this game. Expand
  13. Dec 7, 2012
    This is a really great game. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a NEW gaming experience. I did not think that either Nintendo or Ubisoft could pull something like this off.

The game is genuinely frightening, like Amnesia frightening. That alone amazes me that Nintendo has a more frightening game than the other two. The gamepad works as a unique controller that adds elements to the
    game, real, tactile gameplay that doesn't exist on any other platform at this time.

I don't know why there are neg reviews, but the graphics are great, the gameplay is an improved classic survival horror and not FPS style. That means you can't whip your head around 360, but you are impaired by a more realistic response time. One thing is for certain, you will truly feel like you are in this game. You will be scared.

I highly recommend this game. If you like survival horror I don't believe you can find a better experience. How long will you survive?
  14. Nov 20, 2012
    You are either going to be in the eurogamer (9.2) camp, or the gamespot (4.5) camp. It is that simple, and there is no middle. People expecting left 4 dead U or dead island U should stay away, this is a true survival horror game, like the early Resident Evils and Silent Hills. It has a great, creepy atmosphere, and it nails the gamepad usage, with a real scavenging scenario. However, i would have liked to see better graphics, a more coherent plot, and more interesting varieties of zombies. Expand
  15. Dec 19, 2012
    i love this game its scary and die with one bite one life etc weapons kool game mission and zombies are good

why i did not give it 10 is because ending of it was lame stupid and of course give gamer a middle finger. At ending of the game ithe nothing zombies then you get on the helicopter ur hand and another hand pulling u away then u fly away then straight at menu
    screen...............................

trust me the no need for spoilers cause the is not
  16. Dec 7, 2012
    This game is very much like the original resident evil. You cant save at any time. And you cant even go back to earlier saves . If you die, you cant just reload a save and try again.( you become a zombie ) You then pick up at the safehouse as a new survivor.Then have to go kill yourself and get your stuff back. think many people just are'nt used to this type of game. But most of the mechanics work very well. Some people are complaining about different aspects of the game they simply just dont understand. I.E. losing mission items. If you die with a mission item on you, you must go back and find it. it may not be on your "zombie" self. it may be on the floor around there. The game requires a little thought, and is not just running around blowing apart zombies with infinite ammo and health. The game is scary, and draws you back to play it. But there were some long portions where i found no way to save. So you must be prepared to play when you turn it on. The wii u has an auto power off , so if you want to pause the game for breaks because of its save mechanics. Disable this. Expand
  17. Nov 21, 2012
    I dont know why this game got such a low rating. Dont get me wrong the textures arent as good as they should be, but besides for that this game is intense and extremely fun. This game to me, is an 8. The gameplay is solid and the use of the controller is perfect. While i do wish you used other melee weapons mainly besides the cricket stick, its all good because its really fun and intense trying to kill a zombie. Ive jumped out of my seat so many times from this game, the challenge is great. This is a great game and I urge everybody to try it that owns a Wii U because this game is solid and the critic reviews dont reflect what it really should be. 8/10. Expand
  18. Dec 11, 2012
    Ok, before we get started lets just get this out in the open, this game has guns and it's in first person. That being said, this game is not a FPS (first person shooter). I will be reviewing it as a survival horror game because that is what it is.

When you start off you are put in a world where you have very little control of whats happening. The world has fallen apart and zombies walk
    the streets looking for someone to eat. As it so happens you seem to be one of the very few that are still living. Game Play: Using the game pad is the predominate way to play ZombiU. The touch screen handles most of you inventory and scanning. You are constantly looking back and forth between your TV to make sure that you are not in any danger of being eaten while checking if you have enough ammo or when healing. It creates a sense of real danger and fear. To defend yourself you have been given a cricket bat that constantly makes you re-think your methods. Once you get **** with it and miss swing on a single Zombie you are quickly scrabbling to make space for another try to defend yourself. Guns fire and handle as you would expect and so do explosives. Getting killed is part of the game, after being killed you come back as a new survivor and have to kill the previous survivor to get your old gear back. Be warned that newly turned zombies are a pain in the ass to kill. Story: It's the end of the world and the story is kind of bare bones. The real story is your survival, the experiences you have and the things you have to do is the story here. Art direction:

This game fits it's theme, for a launch title I didn't expect anything to advanced.Most launch titles don't take full advantage of new systems. It looks good where it needs to. Sound: It's scary, the zombies sound like they should and the guns sound like they should. Not much to say.

Overall: I give this game a 8 because it's a good survival game. Some say that this is the road that Resident Evil should have gone. I say give it a rent at least because these types of games can beat up gamers with swaying difficulties. Just keep going and enjoy the experience.
  19. May 15, 2013
    This is a very fun and atmospheric game. The gamepad integration is really cool. This is a 15 hour game with pretty good visuals and good sound. You will experience a lot of frame drops but its not terrible.
  20. Nov 18, 2012
    ZombiU's easily the best Mature rated game at launch, however, is it flawless? No, it is not. ZombiU offers a tense and atmospheric journey through a dark and desolate world. While it's light on narrative, its gameplay offers more satisfying depth than your typical zombie romp. Not without its flaws, ZombiU has a large amount of clipping, where zombies will glitch right through walls. Yes, it's an annoyance that takes you out of the experience a little, but does it hurt the game's overall enjoyment? Not one bit. The gun mechanics aren't like Call of Duty. I'd say they're a little more clunky in the vein of Metro 2033, but it doesn't hurt in this style of game, as it actually adds to the difficulty. This is a neat world to explore. I especially love how zombies will follow you to a door, you shut the door, then they'll stand on the other side pounding, which means you'll have to take care of them at some point and they're not letting you through to the either side without putting up a fight. So while ZombiU has its apparent flaws, this game's satisfaction is simply too difficult to deny. Expand
  21. Dec 5, 2012
    I wrote this review due to the alarming amount of reviews to the tune of - "The graphics are bad, the animations are bad, the combat is dull and repetitive" - Yes the "graphics" are not HD, the animation is mostly simple, the combat is a little dull, but the focus in this game is not on combat. The focus is on the atmosphere, anticipation, and fear. If other shooters are flashy magazines, Zombie U is classical literature. if you want a call of duty, twitch-shooter, sit around with your bros, "wow that was cool", hold your hand linear action shooter, then ZombiU is just not for U. Now if you let yourself be immersed into this world you will find the most organic SURVIVAL horror game in a LONG time. I almost let myself be turned off by the reviews. it wasnt until I actually played it that I realized just how misunderstood this game is. if you have never payed a REAL survival horror game, or been truly scared by a game. do yourself a favor, open yourself up to a NEW experience and get this game. it will leave you fearful of whats around that next corner, yet eager to delve back into its nerve rattling clutches. Expand
  22. Nov 19, 2012
    Nintendo want to do things a bit different & ZombiU manages that in spades. Ubisoft manage to muster up an engaging & often challenging game from a well trodden path. Good use of the touch pad & in my opinion excellent moody atmosphere created by subtle graphical use of the processors. This is a title that will no doubt be bettered by ZombiU2 but is still a very good original title for a new system. Expand
  23. Nov 19, 2012
    This game isn't perfect by any stretch but no game I have played is. My thoughts on controls are they don't feel bad at all the only issue I tend to come across is accidentally pushing the wrong button to swing my cricket bat for the kill resulting in me getting bit . I don't find them clunky like other reviewers have said they could be better but they are about what I expected them to be not bad not great. Graphics some people bash the graphics in this game but I really dig them the zombies sometimes look like the same person you already fought but this is a minor complaint in my humble opinion. Sure the characters have elongated faces but that is how people from that area usually look so this doesn't bother me they are not as elongated as the characters from Dishonored. So basically you will see more Bremner look a likes than McGregor any fans of trainspotting will get that reference. My ratings breakdown Gameplay/Controls 7.4 Graphics 8.7 Sound 8.2 Replay Value 7.1 Overall 7.85 solid launch title that has it's moments this is more fun than the original Resident Evil games enjoy it. Collapse
  24. Nov 19, 2012
    This game has to be one of the best Wii U launch titles. It has great use of the Wii U's gamepad and it reminds me of what Resident Evil used to be (remember the first few titles in the series.) Nothing beats killing zombies and actually being a litte bit frightened. The environments are actually a bit spooky and dark. I gave this game an 8.0 because the graphics are not the best looking for a Wii U game and at times it can be unforgiving. Overall, I say it's a must buy for any Wii U owner and it kicks Resident Evil 6's ass. Expand
  25. Nov 20, 2012
    An amazing survival horror game, however its gameplay is focused like a past gen survival horror, so it is TRULY a survival horror not an action game with zombies (I'm watching at you Re 5 and Re 6). This can discourage some people, but for others, it's great.
  26. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game has a new way to survive and play,but shows the parts that are repeated and eliminate the fear and the actions is running out , the gamepad is fun at first but finishing the game is boring Expand
  27. Dec 26, 2012
    Zombi U is a launch title for the Wii U. After playing is for a few hours, I think I can judge this game fairly. The game takes place somewhere in London, and, obviously, something very bad has happened. The plot consists of an unknown man talking to you via gamepad, which is a nice touch, making it feel like a walkie talkie or something of that nature. I am never unsure of what my objective is or where I should be heading. There are plenty of items stashed in hard to see places, which is good for collectors, but there is limited inventory space. Should I take the planks and buy myself a few seconds behind a door or an energy drink and sprint into the hoard? I also found myself taking note of where more useful items were (flares), and always making room for that medi-pack. It's nice not being bombarded by items in your inventory, which is controlled on the gamepad screen. There is limited ammo in the game, and you can't take much damage which makes this a true survival horror game. You need to have a strategy, diversions, and play it safe. You definitely will not be running and gunning. Rather, sneaking and cricket batting. which, in my opinion, makes for great suspense. You never know what is around the next corner or behind the next door. When it comes time for combat you have to swing precisely, as far as your distance from the zombie, and always be moving and watching your back. Those zombies will come out of the woodwork once they get started. The only real complaint I have about the combat is the variety of weapons, or lack thereof. A crowbar? Baseball bat? Even an awl? Anything with even a slightly different feel or swing mechanic would be welcome. As for guns and such, conserve your ammo until you really feel you need it, because it is scarce. This game isn't exactly a walk in the park. Once your character is overrun by the flesh eating demons, which is very likely to happen, you revert to the initial safe-house, arcade style. A new character will be summoned and briefed by the "narrator" through the gamepad. All the items your previous character had are now strapped to the back of one of those vile creatures leaving you no other choice than to trek back to your corpse and take the pack. This is a great idea making the gameplay suspenseful, progressive, and gives a little old school feel to it. You can unlock shortcuts along the way so you never have to travel too far to retrieve your corpse, unless you pass over a shortcut I suppose. There have been a lot of complaints about graphics. This is a Nintendo system, and it has, by far, the best graphics I have ever seen on a Nintendo system. On par with Xbox 360 games now(I haven't played Ps3 enough to compare). Also, this is a launch title, so it is very impressive what they have done as far as high definition on their first attempt. No, it isn't photo real, but I don't need that in my games. It is fun regardless. The lighting is done very well and does a good job of creating that spooky environment along with the sound effects and the music. Overall, this is a great game. It brings back the suspenseful feeling I haven't felt since the first Resident Evil games, along with frustration at the demise of your 1,500 point character who was befallen by a Buckingham Guard. The attack mechanic is a little clunky, but I don't think that necessarily works against the game, but the lack of different melee weapons surely does. The gamepad integration is awesome! I give this game an 8/10. A great mature game on a Nintendo system, hopefully we will see many more. Expand
  28. Dec 13, 2012
    It's a suspenseful first person zombie survival horror, plain and simple, and it's incredibly fun. It clearly took a few notes from Dark Souls (which isn't a bad thing) such as, if you try to Rambo your way through a room, you will likely be killed. Also if you die, you get one chance to try to make it back to where you died to find your previous self as a zombie. If you can make it there and kill your previous zombified character, you get all your belongings back. And lastly, you can leave messages for other players on walls either warning them or perils, or tricking them into falling into a trap. Not to mention, this game has a great balance of difficulty. Yes it's hard. Is it cheap? Nope. Just don't expect it to be a giant hack and slash/shooting fest. This is not Resident Evil 6. Good game, I hope they make a sequel Expand
  29. Dec 14, 2012
    it's a good game for wii u.. If you are waiting for a new resident evil you are wrong:zombi u is a new horror game with a lot of suspense.. Good in bundle with wii u
  30. Dec 20, 2012
    Is ZombiU one of the most polished games I've ever played? No. Does it have amazing combat or stunning graphics? No. But it is one of the most innovative, challenging and frightening games I have ever played! Yes!

It utilizes the WiiU game pad in a way that not only adds to the game, but makes it an integral part of the game. Every time I look in my backpack my adrenaline starts
    pumping and I know I am completely vulnerable to whatever zombie might be lurking in a dark corner or waiting around the next bend. Whenever I push the tracker button and see those little red dots pop up on the map, my heart skips a beat and I know I am just moments away from a grueling zombie attack. ZombiU is by far one of the most difficult games I have ever played. You will die a lot, but it is the intense challenge the game poses that makes me want to keep playing more and see if I can climb up the leader board. I still don't know how some of you racked up 15,000+ points. If only I could successfully kill my last survivor and recover all of my supplies before getting mauled by the zombie horde that killed me the time before. The scarcity of ammunition, and explosive weapons also makes you think twice about killing a loaner zombie when you can whip out your trusty cricket bat. ZombiU is also probably the scariest video game I have ever played, with the original Resident Evil coming in a close second. I highly recommend playing it at night with the lights out. It is constantly suspenseful and always keeps you on your toes. Although ZombiU's graphics aren't super polished or sharp, I really do feel their grittiness contributes to the rawness of the game and never takes away from it's chilling atmosphere. The lighting in ZombiU is great! The use of the flash light is a very effective medium and adds to the chilling atmosphere of the game. There is nothing like walking down a dark narrow hallway with nothing but your flashlight to guide your way, and do not let it run out of batteries. You don't want to be caught in the dark with your guard down. In closing, if you are looking for a fresh take on the Zombie survival horror (not FPS) genre then you need to pick up ZombiU! Your Wii U collection will not be complete without it. Expand
  31. Dec 24, 2012
    Nowadays it's hard to find a true survival horror game. What I like about ZombiU is that the emphasis really is on surviving, not mindless shooting. I found it visually appealing, atmospheric and just fun. My criticisms would be with loading times that often mar the atmosphere, the campaign being a little too short and some harsh combat difficulty (this is surprisingly hardcore for a ubisoft game). A great game if you like to slow down and explore, if you prefer shooting everything you'd maybe be better off with Left 4 Dead or something. Expand
  32. Jan 17, 2013
    I don't know what people are complaining about. This game is awesome! The graphics are okey, maybe not the best but still better than most console games. The sound is amazing. It sets the mood sky high, especially when you're outside in the stormy weather. It's a pretty hard game, maybe that's why some don't like it. If you die your character dies for good and you have to start from the beginning. You can however track down your former character, kill it and take all the items that you lost. If you got a Wii U and like horror action, this is a game for U Expand
  33. Feb 1, 2013
    I don't know how this got anything below a 7. I understand that its not perfect but overall it is a very good horror/first person shooter. ZombiU is very fun and has kept me on th edge of my seat the entire time I have played it and it keeps me interested even when Im not playing it. I cant wait to get off work so I can go home and play!
  34. Apr 27, 2013
    A fun and enjoyable game experience not like most console zombie games. Fun gameplay and interesting use of the Wii U gamepad make it a must have for any Wii U owner.
  35. Jun 20, 2013
    ZombiU is a good game, but its somewhat clunky gunplay is its major downfall. ZombiU is immersive and actually causes paranoia in the player as one bite will kill you. Worse yet, if you want your precious items back you will have to kill your zombified self. Very few games punish you in this way. The game, however, suffers from a horrible story and a terrible ending. I love how almost everything, if not everything, is in real time. ZombiU uses the gamepad to its advantage. It is your inventory and forces you to look at the in order to scan for danger TV.... ALL IN REAL TIME. ZombiU is a prime example of a game that is great and immersive without having a good story. Expand
  36. Oct 19, 2013
    This game is a true zombie survival game and that's why i love it. It truly fells like your in a zombie apocalypse with the limited ammo in your gun to the dark and creepy atmosphere, and i like how each time you die you play as a completely different character.
  37. Jul 18, 2013
    Zombiu is a under-rated game is the Wii U launch title. Zombiu try to takes survival horror genre back to their roots. The gameplay is well done. The story is somewhat bad in it's way. It make use of the Wii U gamepad like the scanner, using the crossbow, and inventory management. The multiplayer is boring and it's not online. Zombiu is worth our time and money just buy pre owned or any under fifty dollars. Expand
  38. Nov 14, 2013
    A good game but is not complete and is not considered great
    Close for resident evil and the Dead Island !!!!!!
    And needs to be cut exclusive to increase sales of the game!
  39. Dec 13, 2013
    Zombi u is a good shooter
    but i think i have already played
    i mean,it wasnt very original and the gameplay its not perfect
    it feels like a clone of left 4 dead
    STILL BETTER THAN CALL OF DUTY
  40. Oct 30, 2013
    this game came with my Wii U. i was a bit hesitant because i don't like/do well with FPS, but i stuck with it. This game is better than what the sales or reviewers say! great graphics, controls, and man will it creep you out at times (the nursery)! i will tell you the downside: the storyline! it was horrible! but out of all the games i have traded in, i am sticking with this one! the multiplayer could have been better if it was online, but it does good on it's own. Get it and enjoy it!

instagram: Game_Row
  41. Nov 18, 2013
    I found this game to be a bold and engaging experience. It has a unique atmosphere and very good Gamepad integrated features. It has flaws quite a few actually. But since this game drew me into this zombie infested London so quick and didn´t let me go until I finished the game through, I have no other options but to rate this game an 8/10

Still I would have wished for better zombi
    character models and better texture quality overall.
    Plus it seemed rushed and therefore was buggy here and there nothing gamebreaking for me though.
    Recommended for the more old schooled gamers around who are looking for an intense experience and are not afraid of the dark.
  42. Nov 19, 2013
    This is a game that honestly you'll have to find out for yourself if you like it. Reviews are kind of guidelines on this one, so to each is own. you really have to try this one for yourself. Just think of the difficulty and dying of Dark souls meets a walking dead british style. My only beef with the game is that they should've had more melee weapons than a cricket bat. Zombiu truly uses the gamepad to its full content and Ubisoft delivers an almost realistic sense of surviving in a zombie apocalypse.

If you're the kind of gamer that just wants to run through everything guns a blazin then I would say this game is not for you rambo, go back to left for dead.

I will say you can dumb down the difficulty a bit, but honestly you are defeating the purpose of this game.

I myself am not a fan of hardcore difficulty games where you have to constantly learn from your mistakes including dying and starting all over, but this one I'd say sticks with me.

My best advice is play this after watching an episode of walking dead. Great feel
  43. Jan 6, 2014
    This game is much better than people give it credit, and so much of the negativity seems to be based in graphics, bugs and/or genre confusion. So, let's start with the graphics: granted, this isn't the best-looking game, but it was a launch title, and most launch titles (on any console) don't showcase a system's full potential. Even considering that, I personally don't think it looks as bad as people say, which leads us to the bugs and glitches. Most of the "game-breaking" ones have been ironed out in patches, leaving (so far as I've encountered) sparse and minor glitches that in no way hinder game play. And as for the genre... This isn't Dead Rising or a FPS, so don't expect to be able to cleave through zombies in single strikes or mow them down in rows. It's a survival game, and as the in-game guide says near starting up, it's sometimes better to just run, which should give the player an idea of what he/she will encounter. Expand
  44. Jan 20, 2014
    I got this game dec 13 and I love it. Was the 1st game I played on wii u so took about a hour to get to grips with. I heard about alot of game breaking bugs but 14 hours in I havent seen any yet. I have loved every minute of this game. Graphics are decent( not groundbreaking) sound is good gameplay is good. The tension is very high and is truly scary when played in the dark with the sound up. Also a decent variety of guns but only one melee weapon which is a cricket bat so I mainly stick to guns. Expand
  45. Feb 8, 2014
    ZombiU is a great game, but not the amazing game every nintendo fan claims it is. This game was hyped beyond belief, and the story mode is ok. However, I love the multiplayer mode and would have bought the game just for that if it had online (which unfortunately it doesn't).
  46. Feb 27, 2014
    This is a start to what all Zombie games have been missing in my opinion. An open world first person shooter. What I am saying is that its a proper Zombie simulator with all the proper Zombie apocalypse aspects, as in limited resources, strategy and many scares. My wishes is that there could be a bit less head bashing and more shooting, slightly better graphics and online co-op play and multiplayer online play. However it is undoubtable the best Zombie survival game I have ever played, possibly the greatest Zombie game ever made. Expand
  47. Mar 24, 2014
    I have to be honest, when I got this game I didn't really expect much. I read some reviews about it and i heard mixed reactions. Some people loved it while some despised it. It's not until I started playing it for myself that I developed my own opinion.
    At first the game starts of a bit slow. The controls take some getting use to and you only have the cricket bat. Which is fun, don't get
    me wrong. But you crave for a weapon after a while.
    But ones I started getting a hang of it it turned out to be pretty good. This game is very tense. I think that even the most hardened of gamers will get some scares out of it.
    Once you start finding weapons and upgrading them the game gets pretty addicting.
    There are definitely some great moments in this game like when you go into The Royal Safe for example.
    I appreciate what Ubisoft did with this game. It's not just a mindless shoot-em up game like Dead Island or Left4Dead. It's everything a survival-horror stands for. If you're not into slower but creepier games than this isn't your game. It got overlooked in my opinion. If you have a WiiU and haven't played this game for some reason, do so. Trust me, you won't regret it. Especially considering it goes around for 10 euros nowadays. This game deserves a bit more credit.
  48. Jun 22, 2013
    Let's face it, when it comes to launch titles, people shouldn't expect too much, especially from Third Party developer. However, I have to admit that ZombiU is a solid title, which tries its hardest to utilize WiiU's functionality to the best of its abilities. This is not a FPS; it's a pretty hardcore survival horror game. Bitten by a zombie? You'll become one, and you will resume the game as another 'survivor', losing your loot in the process. When you have more than 2 zombies in front of you, moving headfirst will surely end your game prematurely. It leads to a lot of tension for sure. This is more of a survival horror title than the acclaimed RE series these days. The only bad thing: so so narrative, probably due to the 'perma death' system in the game. If you own a WiiU, and looking for a solid exclusive, give this one a look. Expand
  49. Dec 3, 2012
    Zombie U takes a good concept but unfortunately doesn't do the best job of capitalizing on it. The game is very much a survival horror game with ammo and supplies scarce. The coolest part to me is that when your survivor dies you start off as a new one and you can actually run into the zombie version of the deceased survivor. You can also run into other zombies from other people's games if your Wii U is hooked up to the internet. The game pad control works fairly well in terms of managing your inventory as well as using a radar on it to detect zombies. The game just gets choppy and the missions are often bland. The graphics could also be a lot better and combat isn't as smooth as other zombie games like Left 4 Dead. In the end the game is a solid game but could have been a lot better. It's enjoyable especially if you enjoy survival horror but I would say wait for the price to come down. Expand
  50. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is NOT easy. Zombies do not go down quickly. The ones you meet later on are rough. To be honest the only reason why I gave it a low review is because I didn't like it on the WiiU. I didn't like how the gamepad removed me from the action onscreen. It very much removed the sense of immersion that the game works to build. But as far as zombie games go, it's fairly difficult, creepy and there's a fair amount of intensity in some parts of the game. It's not terrible though. I'm just not drinking the koolaid when it comes to a 2 screen experience. Expand
  51. Nov 21, 2012
    Completely unique. Take Atlus from Bioshock telling you what you need to do, Dead Island type zombie combat, Left 4 Dead type graphics, Dark Souls type difficulty, and an English setting. You get very little ammo and a flashlight. And your main weapon is a cricket bat. Huh?
    But it works....for the most part. First the graphics are passable. Nothing special but I suppose it has a look.
    Problem is it is the same look over and over again. Music is up to par as is the sound effects. Control is good except for the gun play but for a survivor game it is a work of freaking art. And yes. This game is actually scary.
    The story? Well.....You start off as a random person. When you die you die for good. Then you become another random person. However you can go and collect everything that your corpse left behind. It is a cool concept. Once you die that corpse supposed to become part of the game. The thing about the story is I really got over it kind of quick. Mainly because I spent half the time kind of worried about my surroundings. Is that a good thing? I think so. You have a guy called the Prepper who is trying to lead you the way. Pretty sure there is something up with that. My average playtime has only been about 20 minutes or so so maybe the story picks up later.
    The Wii Pad is an important tool as well and this game more than any other game at launch works great and is almost a necessity. It holds all of your weapons, sonar ability to see through walls when looking for zombies, hold your health, and stats. But looking at it can get you in trouble. Why? No pause button in the game. The game wants you to feel uneasy and it does a really great job. Another thing about it? It is violent. Still feels strange playing a Nintendo system with this kind of launch title. Another pretty cool feature is online play. You can leave people messages on the walls. But you cannot play co-op or together. You basically just bump into their zombie after they have passed. But being able to leave messages on the walls are a pretty unique feature I hope to see in future games.
    I think this game has got a bad rap. I think people are expecting a Left 4 Dead or a FPS. That is not what this game is. It is a survivor game.. Playing it gun ho is gonna get you killed. Not conserving ammo as big of a pain as it is to use guns will get you killed. But you have to take chances and keep moving. The game does what it was meant to do. Make the player uncomfortable and does something unique. Once you get passed the control and get used to dying the charm comes out. I do think the game could of used another 3-6 months to flesh out more ideas and maybe another month to fix some glitches and slowdown (I noticed slowdown more than I wanted) but at the same time I realize they had to make the launch date. Hopefully we get a patch. Props to Ubisoft for again having something different during a Nintendo launch. But unlike Red Steel which was completely awful. This could be the start of a trilogy. Good game that could of been great.
  52. Feb 19, 2013
    This is a pretty good game. I enjoyed the fair amount of challenge it gives, although there are some things that could have been done better. Yes, the combat is dull to some people, but this isn't a gun and run game. Its NOT L4D. You are NOT immune and one bite will mean the end for your character. If you want a gun and run game, then you're better off with L4D. If you don't like being cautious and having a limited about of weaponry and such, you're better off dodging this game. Expand
  53. Mar 14, 2013
    It's a fairly solid title, but it could have been so much better. The things it captures well is the feeling of true survival horror with limited ammo and tense gameplay, It also uses the Wii U GamePad very well as a "Survival Kit" featuring Map, Scanner and some other functionality.

Where it really falls short is some design issues, Your main weapon is a Cricket bat, but using it is
    slow and repetitive with normal zombies taking forever to die, the graphics are also fairly weak for a game designed exclusively for a new console where it should be showing off what the Wii U can do.

It's a solid title, one that survival horror fans will definitely love and I would still recommend it to people looking for a fun zombie game. There is great potential here for a sequel with improvements.
  54. Apr 12, 2013
    I was looking forward into fun with zombiU, and when I got it, I had a little fun.
    First of all, the game is a survival horror about the zombie Apocalypse in London,
    the game is challenging because you have a limited amount of ammo, and
    if you're character dies: they're dead and you have to play as another survivor,
    but you can encounter your dead survivor and get his or her backpack
    back.
    All though, melee is one way to quickly (or not) go through the game, though melee gets
    repetitive after a while. The Multiplier is something less people mention about the game
    though the 2 player VS mode is a little much like left 4 dead's VS mode, only with a Wii U gamepad
    and Wii remote, if you don't have a pro controller, the survivor with a wii remote play's like an arcade game, only without the light gun and I found that for best results of using a Wii remote on multiplayer,
    use a Wii Zapper, and if you don't know what that is already SEARCH IT UP. Anyway's multiplayer has only 2 modes one, which is just KILL that Zombie Then Kill the next as of it gets repetitive and frustrating after a while, the second one, in which one survivor must capture all of the points before the zombies do, think of it as team fortress 2's Capture the Point mode, only not as repetitive but STILL frustrating, even though it has good ideas. So, over all
    SINGLE PLAYER: great
    MULTIPLAYER: frustrating and repeatitive!
  55. Dec 15, 2013
    I'm a little late to this party, ZombiU released a year ago, but in the very limited world of the Wii-U titles, its still a good option. The game features grainy graphics (ala Silent Hill) and complex controls that will drive you insane the first hour or so that you try to play. When I first loaded the game up, I said WTF?? these controls suck, but you will adjust eventually. The difficulty is brutal, you will die, and when you do you will play as a different survivor and your first task is finding your old character, who is now a zombie and killing him to loot your supplies back (original idea, gets old later on in the game). The story is absurd, but that survival horror feeling is strong and the game is very creepy. There is no run and gun (ala COD zombie modes) and there isn't much action (ala resident Evil). You must conserve your ammo, use melee attacks often and run for dear life. There really isn't another game on the market like ZombiU so there's nothing to compare it to. A close comparison might be a combination of the games "I am Alive" and "Amy", but much better than either of those two. For me, this was one the first games I picked up after purchasing a Wii-U, I'm too old for Super Mario part 6000 or another clusterphuked rehash of Zelda. I like Adult games and ZombiU, despite its flaws is very adult. My low score is reflective of the poorly designed controls. Expand
  56. Nov 19, 2012
    Firstly, I want to say that I created an account just to review this game. I agree with the others, there are a lot of people just posting 10s, 9s, and 0s. Ignore those. This game is definitely in the 5-7 range. I

The main drawbacks the graphics for me, they just aren't that good. After seeing how beautiful AC3 is on this console (which is a port), there is no reason for a ground-up
    WiiU game to look so sub-par. This thought is in the back of my mind every time I play. On a brighter note, I feel they nailed the GamePad usage. A lot of people are complaining about it on the reviewing sites, but its pretty neat to be able to scan stuff with it, have a persistent map, and use your inventory. Mediocre game. Not bad, just mediocre. Expand
  57. Jan 12, 2013
    ZombiU is a bit of a average score. Usually ZombiU is a survival but then soon as you get bitten you turn into a zombie. And since when you were human there where no zombies whats the point of being a zombie. Sure, there are good graphics and story but the point is a short time survival and boring zombie play.
  58. Jun 5, 2013
    A bit clunky and ugly at times. This IS a survival horror and it can get pretty creepy at times. Whenever the character swings a melle weapon, i get really pissed off because its so damn annoying. The atmosphere can be ruined by a lot of jump scares which sullys the experience. Still, I mostly enjoyed it and it is not a perfect game. I hope they make another one in the future, so we may get those improvements. I think most people give this game a ten because of it's unique ideas and doesn't consider the gameplay and everything else. Pick it up when that price drops! Expand
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a good idea and concept, with decent execution.

The gamepad is ACTUALLY UTILIZED IN THIS GAME. I know, brace yourselves.

The gamepad acts as your communication device with some guy watching everything from a safe control room. It is also how you interact with your inventory and how you use your 'radar' to check for zombies (that's handy as heck in a zombie apocalypse,
    convenient).

While I love gamepad innovation, this one is tricky. Forcing me to take my eyes off of the tv and look at my gamepad... while zombies are chasing me... is scary. Maybe that's what they want But I find myself scared to mess with my inventory, because it means someone could sneak up on me. Maybe that's realism.

Other zombie elements are typical. Scarce ammunition, zombies are hard to kill.
  60. Jul 22, 2013
    Terrifying and difficult, yet fun still. This gets an okay score because my character (In the middle of climbing a ladder) randomly teleported to the bottom of the ladder, died, and started twerking on the ground. In addition to this, there are many many more bugs. However, what did it for me was the king of zombies mode. Without the (not included) wii u pro controller, as a survivor, I was having trouble MOVING to a destination, let alone fighting zombies to get there. Play it for single player, and watch out for bugs. Expand
  61. Jan 29, 2014
    one of the least games that should get a chance

zombie u is one the eh games but a good game that has flaws but not bad game
    the thing that this game lacks is co op and online, the modes that it has is fun but still
  62. Apr 30, 2013
    I found this game to be pretty poor and I don't know how it passed nintendo's QA. 1st off, the game is full of bugs. My first play through, I fell through the floor near a save point. The game auto-saves due to it's quasi-perma-death mechanic. So it said I died, falling through the floor, auto-saved with no way to get my stuff back, but then it kept spawning me at the hole in the floor. So each time I tried to start from that save again it just threw me through the floor. So that was several hours lost after I had to delete my game and restart. I also ran into plenty of other game-breaking bugs in my several hours with the game.

The graphics are just awful. I'd say they're comparable to launch xbox 360 games like condemned: criminal origins. They're just really bad and it's often hard to see what you're doing.

The sound is awful too. Guns sound pathetically weak, zombies don't sound scary.

Some reviewers here are saying this is a "true survival horror" game. I found the game neither scary, nor having any real aspect on survival other than the quasi-perma-death and 1-bite-death mechanics. Other than that many areas of the game can be beaten simply by tossing a flare and sprinting away. If you make it to a sewer hole it acts as a checkpoint. No real survival here...

The gameplay is extremely basic. Melee weapons are boring consisting of one swing move. Guns are boring and feel unrealistic. The scanning mechanic to find items and stuff is cool...for about the 1st 5 minutes. Then after the 50th time you have to stop and scan a room using the wii u's game pad, it gets old and tedious.

Honestly I'd say skip this game entirely. A select few may find something to like here, but the majority of people are going to find this a shockingly low quality, boring game that uses none of the wii u's functionality well at all.
  63. Jan 25, 2013
    A great idea but very dissapointing. ZombiU amazing captures what we all love about survival horror. You always feel a bit on edge. In my eyes this is what newer Resident Evil's SHOULD have been like. But the game is falls short with repatitive combat and difficulty to the point of just being annoying to some. But it really does show what the gamepad can do and I'd love to see a sequel with little more polish. Expand
  64. Dec 13, 2012
    One of the best and worst games I have ever played in one package. Firstly i found the game to be amazing when i first played it. The atmosphere is intense. This is not an action shooter, if you want a shooter play call of duty. This is a slow paced atmospheric game that breaks new ground. Graphically it works to set the scene. I have seen better, but i have also seen far worse. People that dislike the graphics most likely dislike the game due to the setting. I didnt find it repetetive and i loved walking around waiting for the zombies to appear from nowhere. I think in total it made me jump 3 or 4 times, which is more than any other game has for years. With the score I would have given this a 9 easily, like i said for me this is a new type of game that i loved. The gamepad sound effects, coupled with surround sound really set the scene.

There is one major problem....BUGS.....I spent 14 hours playing this slowly with every intention of revisting it to play survival mode. I never replay games.....this game made me want to replay it before i had even completed it....But near the end i died working on the panacea level. When i restarted i completed the objective, but nothing happened. It still says i need to complete the objective. I googled the walkthrough and videos to be sure. I did everything right. The game wont unlock a door to allow me to leave and nothing happens. This means after 14 hours i cant continue or do anything. So for the first time i emailed a game maker, because i Ioved playing this game. Their response google walkthroughs.....even more annoying.... its a bug. I have completed the objective but the things that are supposed to happen dont. So not only are there bugs stopping me completing it but ubisoft wont acknowledge them. I could start again, but what then 14 hours to find a new bug. With all bugs fixed 9/10 easily. As is... you make up your own mind. I gave it 5. Play if but if you die ( you will die) be aware a bug might surface stopping you from completing a key action. Other users have said the same. ( I didnt belive it until it happened to me). So frustrating, a great game that should have been tested. Technically the item is faulty and everyone could legally get their money back, so ubisoft fix it.
  65. Mar 2, 2013
    Sadly I am one of the wii u owners who rode the hype and bought this game day one. The game is pretty average but it has its terrifying moments. You would either love or hate this game but still this game is far better than what RE or SH series has become today.
  66. Feb 24, 2013
    Disappointing Anyone who has had any substantial experience playing video games will immediately notice the many horrible game designs used in this subpar game. Allow me to elaborate, in detail, why this game is horrible and you should save your money for a more enjoyable game: 1. Controls (5/10) Aiming with a thumbstick is a horrible and outdated way of aiming in 3D games on a next generation console. It’s ineffective, slow and frustrating. The technology the WiiU has makes it possible to make aiming a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience than fumbling around with a thumbstick. One only needs to look at the Zelda Archery minigame in Nintendoland to see that aiming projectile weapons in games on the WiiU can be both easy, fun and accurate rather than backwards, clunky and inaccurate.
    The rest of the controls such as map, inventory management, “pinging” for nearby zombies, scanning a room are all executed on the WiiU gamepad. Many of these features are used very often making looking down at the gamepad a common occurrence that detracts from the immersion in the game and makes it more difficult than necessary to accomplish simple and always repetitive tasks.
    It seems that Ubisoft went to great pain to make sure their game used EVERY SINGLE NEW FEATURE of the new WiiU regardless of if it actually even added any value to the title. Just because your game can utilize a feature of the WiiU console/gamepad doesn’t necessarily mean it has to. The scanning feature is cool the first two or three times you use it, but pulling out your scanner and waving your arms around every single time you enter a new room gets repetitive, boring and slows the gameplay and action to a crawl. Over 50% of the time you play this game you will be spent either scanning each and every new room you enter or collecting the items you find during said scans. This makes the core of ZombieU feel mostly like a easter egg hunt game rather than a zombie survival game.
    For a title that makes it’s main selling point the game controls, ZombieU leaves a lot to be desired on the controls front.

2. Graphics (5/10)
    The game actually looks pretty nice when you can actually see it.
    ZombieU has this persistent dirty screen effect that puts random circles on the screen that look akin to viewing the entire game through a dirty piece of glass. This I feel detracts from the game or was put in to obscure the overall average polygon counts in ZombieU.
    ZombieU also has a habit of making light sources look like someone installed nuclear powered light bulbs in every socket. Being blinded by overly bright lights is just another graphics gimmick that makes actually seeing the environment difficult.
    The game is also notoriously dark making the viewing area in such areas just as wide and as far as your non nuclear powered flashlight can shine. Flashlights in games are cool but only if they are used sparingly here and there such as in games like Metro 2033. ZombieU has a heavy reliance on flashlights making it even more difficult to view your environment.

3. Combat (3/10)
    I hope you like that pretty cricket bat you get at the start of the game because 90% of all combat in this game will be you bashing zombies over and over and over with the damn thing. Between scanning rooms and bashing zombies over and over with your cricket bat, 80% of the time you spend in this game will be doing one of these two repetitive actions.
    Aiming is difficult and the firearms in the game are weak. A headshot to a zombie (if you can even manage to hit a moving zombie in the head with a crappy thumbstick aiming device) doesn’t kill a zombie, it takes upwards of three headshots to kill a zombie. With ammo being scarce as it is already coupled with crappy and ineffective alternatives you are pretty much stuck with that crappy bat.
    Speaking of that crappy bat, your character really really sucks at using it effectively. The animation (not animations) to swing it are slow, boring and repetitive making combat a thing of timing seeing as it can take a whole 4-6 seconds from the time you push the swing attack until the time you can swing again. Timing combos, varying bat animations and effects and not to mention just different melee weapons (knives, swords, hammers) could have made the melee combat more enjoyable.

4. Gameplay (4/10)
    I hope you like a linear roller coaster gaming experience. This game is not open in the least, it does not give you choices to make you simply hop in the ZombieU roller coaster and tackle each and every problem it throws your way in the proper order it wants you to. There isn’t even any dialog choice to make, the only voice characters in the game simply talk at you rather than talk with you.

Overall, this game doesn’t feel so much like a fun well designed game but rather a gimmick to show off all the new features of the WiiU that will drive you utterly insane with frustration at it’s backwards game design.
  67. Gar
    Jan 1, 2013
    Looking at gameplay videos/reviews I could tell that ZombiU is not a good game, but still got it since I was desperate for christmas present ideas. I was right about the game being rather poorly made. Now those crazy people that compare ZombiU with the "master piece" that Dark Souls is, should be quite embarrased. A car broken in half and an F1 car are both difficult to handle, BUT only one is hard because its good.

Dark Souls had great varied combat with some actual tactics and enemies that were fair if you knew what you were up againts. ZombiU on the otherhand relies on zombies spawning from nowhere (monster closets are considered out of nowhere), poor unresposive controls and a ridiculously narrow field of view. A game with good mechanics like Dark Souls can be challenging even if you are going 1 vs 1 againts an enemy. ZombiU on the other hand relies on "surprising" you with enemy encounters which shoudlnt happen and at least in the beginning, making those encounters "hard" by explaining the controls too late. The scanner funcionality is also pretty atrocious. Why on earth would I want to almost turn around in my seat to scan my enviroment? Looting corpses and dragging stuff on the touchscreen isnt thad bad, except when you just want to close the menu on an empty corpse and wind up having to move your hand instead of just pressing a button. More of an annoyance really.

If you want a good zombie game/expirience, get Dead Island instead.
    If you want good combat mechanics in a hard game, get Dark Souls instead.

The game is also very buggy. I've had my menu item to open my backpack disapper completely for half an hour, now I'm expiriencing a game breaking but that is preventing me from completing the game. After 6 hours of gameplay, my game is giving me 2 objectives (the one I completed last time) and a new one. However I cannot complete my next objective since the my scanner refuses to scan a code for a keypad I have to get open. Before purchasing the game, I recommend visiting the official forum to see if "game breaking bug" is still a the most common name for thread...
  68. Nov 30, 2012
    The graphics are bad, the animations are bad, the combat is dull and repetitive, and the game is incredibly buggy. I have run into two separate game breaking bugs. Other than that there was general buggyness, things like context sensitive actions sometimes not showing up. I cannot even complete the final mission because a mission critical item disappeared from my inventory. This game had so much promise, and even though i prepared myself for disappointment I cannot believe how badly this game was made. Expand
  69. Jan 24, 2013
    Okay, the amount of 10s here is kinda baffling. The game starts out good, but quickly goes downhill. The combat system is clunky and dull, which I thought was fine at first, because I wasn't playing a highly skilled character (except for the policemen, majors, generals, etc, who were just as useless with a gun as the musicians and clerks), but the kind (and amount) of enemies they throw at you after a while makes killing them a chore. You have zombies in riot gear, which is understandable, at least some people would have been wearing riot gear when the infection spread, but there are tons of them. And they take like 20 slow slow slow hits to kill (also, they're bullet proof). Then you have zombies that spit acid.. and zombies that self detonate. Which makes absolutely zero sense if they're normal zombies. Maybe someone is controlling them? I won't find out, since I quit playing after 10 hours, which, normally, I NEVER do... but there are so many missed opportunities and bad decisions in this game. You'd think having a map/pad thingie with motion sensors would offer the player some sort of strategic advantage, and would allow for creative solutions to maps, but it only serves to warn you about the zombie's presence (except for when zombies are just waiting for you to approach them before they start moving, which .. doesn't make sense T_T).. you'll have to take the same route regardless. Throughout the game they use cheap tricks to scare you, like loud aggressive music, sounds that get triggered (every time) you walk past certain areas, flashlight going out in some areas. Which wouldn't have been necessary if they got the basics right. Sorry about the messy review, it's not often I'm so mad at a game that I quit playing it halfway through, so I won't waste too much time on this review. OH, and one time when I jumped off a six feet pier into two feet deep water, I died from the fall damage. I was at full health. GG Ubisoft, GG. Expand
  70. Jan 1, 2013
    My adventure was finished around 6 hours by a game killer bug at brick-lane market door-code. That tower of London helicopter just keeps hovering there although I have already completed that area.
  71. Dec 28, 2012
    This game is good and uses the game pad well however there are a few problems for example, the lack of online co-op multi-player, the graphics seem to be lacking, the game is also to linear for my liking. Overall the game is good however i still think it could do with a few more features and updates.
  72. Aug 9, 2013
    good idea, poorly executed. 10's people...really?! this game belongs in the 90's. I guess they thought that people would get caught up in the current zombie-craze, and not realize that this game sucks. Its graphics are terrible(think PS2 in HD), its extremely clear that they used an old engine with no attempt to supply anything that looked good. the zombies are repetitive and all look the same, aside from different genders and a couple of outfits. If you knock a zombies head off, it literally looks like a broken pencil. i saw better textures on N64. The environment is the only thing that i can't complain much about, except i really dislike when developers try to make the game scary by making it hard to see(i.e. always dark), rather than making the actual gameplay scary or intense. Overall this was a flop, and a terrible choice to bundle with the console. Expand
  73. Jan 27, 2013
    The game started off great. But then zombies that explode on contact simply because they're wearing a tank on their backs even if you don't actually hit said tank, and a plethora of game breaking bugs just made this a pointless purchase really. With no official word on a patch to fix the various issues with the game, I'd say skip this. Don't even ask for it as a gift.
  74. Jan 1, 2013
    I love this game and this game has game breaking glitches that can completely destroy your progress and force you to restart from scratch several times over. So to be very clear: I love the slow horror-filled progress of the game, the clunky process of killing zombies with a cricket bat, the search for ammunition, all of that. The death of your character and the process of going to kill your old zombified self to get a backpack full of stuff is great.

The problem is when you go back to kill yourself but can't retrieve from your old self things that are absolutely required in order for the game to continue. Essentially you can take 50 hours worth of game progress and throw it right out the window. This is because ZombiU does not retain any intermediate saves that you could go back to if something goes wrong, and because players have discovered and reported that many game-breaking glitches just crop up that destroy the game. Each time that happens you have to go back to the very very beginning. When you hit a problem like this, contact Ubisoft for support and this is what I got back:
    "Unfortunately, you are most likely going to need to create a new save profile. We are not able to recover lost or damaged saved files from either the cloud or other methods. We have reported this issue to the devs. Contact us again if you have additional questions." [there was no "lost of damaged" save file. My character died and there was no way to obtain a particular item that he was carrying that was necessary for plot progress"]

Take a look at the ZombiU forums (http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/383-ZombiU)
    "Game breaking bug - ladder disappears!!"
    "Another ZombiU Game Breaking Glitch"

And this nice statement, in a 2-page series of posts by frustrated gamers:

"Ubisoft, as far I can see, you received your first notifications of game breaking bugs over a month ago on this forum.
    Since then, this forum has been flooded with further reports which have mostly fallen upon deaf ears.
    While admittedly the Forum Manager Ubi-Mush has been acknowledging these reports on occasion and reportedly forwarding the issues described, there has been absolutely no indication that the developers have been acknowledged any of these issues."

In essence, excellent gameplay is ruined by the complete and total loss of your campaign if you fall prey to any number of serious programming bugs. Ubisoft has not acknowledged the problems, has not issued a patch, and has not offered even a hint as to whether they will patch the game at all. For some who play this, it turns out great and they don't get nailed by the many programming bugs. I have had to repeat 40 hours of campaign twice and after the third game-ending crash, I have to give up.
  75. Feb 28, 2014
    By the way, you can piss off wth stupid, futile, invisible assistant. He's not only a ball buster but a morale destroyer as well. He doesn't help. When does he help? Exactly. Other than scanning doors and **** constantly about cameras and good riddance if a survivor dies because the makers of this program basically sat around a conference table and decided "what if we made a zombie first person shooter that could become uh......"the most unbeatable" in the WORLD." We'll be rich by Xmas next year for gods sake people will clamber for it just to prove they can do it!, the American market is ours! Sound familiar? I think so.
    And no. Give a challenge, but you gotta play fair. Otherwise, it's not a real game. It's a joke.
  76. Feb 26, 2014
    Use of the gamepad was intuitive, music and sound effects are well designed. I've heard multiplayer is good, but I don't play well with others so I wouldn't know.

Use of the gamepad was counter intuitive during fight sequences in that you need it to switch weapons, and for a game that punishes you for dying, it's spiteful to put you in a powerless position for even just a moment, all
    while trying to cover yourself on the fly with no ammunition.

In general the controls are just terrible. Let's face it, the gamepad is basically a tablet computer in your hands, and with the controls it brings your arms far enough apart that you have to get used to playing with it as if it were a standard controller and there is a comfort level you have to find in this configuration. That being said, L3 for running was truly a bad idea as L and LZ are just below it, and were constantly disrupting my progress. I had to mentally remember to keep my left index finger snuggly under L so I didn't accidentally trigger it or LZ while running, especially during the circus time trials, which are forced on you when you just think you're getting a hang of the game. The option to invert look on the game pad was a glaring omission, as I'm an old school gamer and have always used flight-sim style controls on my FPS's. Mentally switching between the two view formats was such a headache that I literally re-programmed myself to play with standard controls. It's been an adjustment that has literally re-defined how I play games now.

Graphics are substandard, with poor textures and a garish "looking through a dirty car window" aspect to them. Because of this I truly wasn't scared, feeling as if I was watching some animated Zombie movie where poorly rendered dead things were being thrust at me.

Zombi U is blessed with at least one horrible programming snafu, such as when I was locked in a safe room in Buckingham Palace and was unable to do anything but quit my game and lose all my progress. Load times are also questionable.

Logic seems to be an option in this world, as you are left with nothing when you reincarnate and you start at level 1, but your weapons retain their upgrades and you always have a pistol and a bat. Additionally, zombies are typically lumbering unfocused creatures. Regardless of this fact, in Zombi U they keep up with you at an irritating rate, even when you run. They might as well be alive.

Disappointing character development puts a damper on the emotional draw of the game. The Prepper seems to be in his own little world, eventually falling under the illusion I'm working against him. The doctor in Buckingham Palace has an interesting flare, but his character is so undeveloped that we don't really care when his predicament comes to a dead end. Finally there are these spoken messages throughout the game that are intended to engage the player in the evolution of the "Blight", but they seem more like sprigs of parsley on a dinner plate; sure you can eat them but they are hardly satisfying. All of these factors augment the feeling that you're not interacting with anything, just running around bashing Zombies.

While I don't mind the next aspect so much, game play has been compared to Metroid where you backtrack for additional items and clues, and Zombi U is all about retracing your steps. But at least Metroid has tight controls that give you a fighting chance and doesn't compound the punishments if you don't play the game a specific way, such as this game where if you fail to survive during the final sequence, your shortcuts are removed.

While you're free to travel almost anywhere in London, I would have suggested a better chronological flow to the game, where we experience the passage of day and night, such as in Skyrim. I think this urgency to get under cover when night falls would have added an amazing dimension to the game, but time seems to be a prisoner along with us, where it's always night or always day depending on where you're at.

Some have said the game should be looked at as true survival horror but even the original "Resident Evil" gave you a save system to fall back on, Zombi U gives you a learning curve for wrapping your head around the idea that you are playing a body, not a character, even though they all have names. If they die, you can move onto the next one so having any feelings for these automatons is pointless. Yeah, it probably looked good on paper, but I think just like the lack of connection with the Prepper, all of these elements enhance ones indifference to the experience, and it totally works against the game.

A challenge for many and I do respect that, Zombie U is definitely a game that will monopolize your mind and give you plenty of work to do to get through it, but it could easily have been put on a mobil device and called "Bash the Zombies" and would have been just as effective.

FHP
  77. Dec 2, 2012
    Worst game ever, belongs in 1999. Lost my save for some unknown reason. Way to ruin my holidays. Played an hour or 2, saved and turned off. Went to play next day save file says empty. No way am I doing that boring start again, I'd already started over due to the bad tutorial. Taking the game back first thing tomorrow, may even take back the Wii U. Bad Ubisoft, bad
  78. Nov 19, 2012

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It takes a couple of hours to fully realize that ZombiU – not an eerie game, but a rather eerily boring one – is a goner. I hope that Ubisoft will hack the head off this franchise before it turns into ZombiU 2 and starts biting people’s wallets.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    An intense experience. ZombiU delivers one of the most intense experiences in recent history. Moody, violent and suitably tough, it managed to keep me playing long into the night. [Jan 2013]
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    For fans of the survival horror genre, ZombiU is filled to the brink with challenges and many hours of gameplay.