Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (The Director's Cut) Wii

• Also On: PC
8.1

1. BobB
    Apr 4, 2009
    First, the bad: There is at least one bug in the game that prevents you from finishing. I am about 80% through the game, and the next destination the map is grayed out, and the game is no longer able to continue -- even as the hint system tells that destination is where I need to go, right now. Alas, as mildly entertaining as the game was, I refuse to restart the game from scratch. The First, the bad: There is at least one bug in the game that prevents you from finishing. I am about 80% through the game, and the next destination the map is grayed out, and the game is no longer able to continue -- even as the hint system tells that destination is where I need to go, right now. Alas, as mildly entertaining as the game was, I refuse to restart the game from scratch. The presentation of the original portion of the game is clearly dated, and the newly added portion of the game is very brief and inconsequential to the plot. There aren't too many point-and-click adventure games on the Wii, though, so this Wii port may be your cup-of-tea if you enjoy the genre. The hint system helps move it along if the you miss one of several easily overlooked items, even though walkthroughs can be found easily on the web for this old game. Lastly, this is one of the many games that annoyingly do not take up the entire 16x9 display area. Expand

Ultimately, there’s a sense that Broken Sword: The Director’s Cut can’t quite reconcile its attempts to incorporate updated gaming sensibilities with its need to maintain the sort of respectful reverence demanded by fans. The result is a game that flounders unevenly between both extremes and never quite gels as an overall experience. However, for all its inconsistencies, Broken Sword is still an undoubted masterclass in videogame storytelling.
  2. Broken Sword turned out to be a pretty decent adventure game that shouldn't be missed by the old and the new fans. The game has everything a good adventure should have and even offers a little bit more. The only thing we can nag about is the lack of extras after waiting almost thirteen years.
  3. This Director's Cut deserved to be spared from patchy audio and shonky cutscenes, but it wasn't. Regardless of this fact, the brilliance of the Templars remains largely undiminished.