Castlevania Judgment Wii

• Release Date: Nov 18, 2008
5.9

1. JohnB
    Dec 29, 2009
    This game is underrated. It's not nearly as bad as the metascore suggests. I didnt have too much problem with the camera. The game actually gives player more freedom to move around in stages as fighting games usually. You can move completely free inside the stage, and when you attack, the nearest enemy is the targeted one. It's that simple, and i suspect that most of the This game is underrated. It's not nearly as bad as the metascore suggests. I didnt have too much problem with the camera. The game actually gives player more freedom to move around in stages as fighting games usually. You can move completely free inside the stage, and when you attack, the nearest enemy is the targeted one. It's that simple, and i suspect that most of the reviewers have really not played this seriously. Characters have lesser moves than usually in this type of game, but i found myself actually using more moves than i have used in other beat em ups. The statistics of characters also have a good amount of variety, and every one of em is unique and fun to play(except the golem), so no clones in here. The music is superb, as expected of Castlevania title. The graphics are decent. Story mode is actually fun to play and complete with different characters. On the downside, i gotta admit that the design of the characters could have been better and more true to the originals. There should also be more stages. Expand
  2. RaidenD
    Jan 1, 2010
    So not really a Castlevania game in play, but in spirit it is. This was an underrated title because it was so different. The fighting was some of the most satisfying I have had in a while, the motion control was welcome and worked me out. Wave the remote, you hit, wave the 'chuck' you dodge.Simple, clean. I will say the camera was a bit awkward but this really only happened So not really a Castlevania game in play, but in spirit it is. This was an underrated title because it was so different. The fighting was some of the most satisfying I have had in a while, the motion control was welcome and worked me out. Wave the remote, you hit, wave the 'chuck' you dodge.Simple, clean. I will say the camera was a bit awkward but this really only happened against Dracula.The character designs are better then a lot of the derivative stuff most American games give us.You can definitely tell they are Obatas, but they are alot more inspired then other 3-D Castlvania character's looks. I am still having fun with it and that is what matters with a game really, the fun. Expand
  3. CR
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fun, Fun Fun. Simple controls, but the camera needed work. Love the castle-quest, and the collecting aspect. A viscerally fulfilling game. If you can find it buy it.
  4. StephenM
    Dec 30, 2008
    Minus a bad script and incredibly hard end boss i saw nothing wrong with this game and actually out of all the wii games that me and my wife have I think this is one of my favorites.
  5. BillT.
    Dec 5, 2008
    If you are thinking of buying this game, make sure you rent it first before spending your money. The controls and camera are broken, the characters are unrecognizable, the story and dialogue are cheesy, and the gameplay is tedious. IGN went pretty easy on it (maybe because they are advertising the game), just read some of these other reviews to get a true picture of how flawed it is. If you are thinking of buying this game, make sure you rent it first before spending your money. The controls and camera are broken, the characters are unrecognizable, the story and dialogue are cheesy, and the gameplay is tedious. IGN went pretty easy on it (maybe because they are advertising the game), just read some of these other reviews to get a true picture of how flawed it is. Awful attempt at a fanservice game, and a very flawed fighter. Collapse
  6. AriV
    Jan 12, 2009
    Surprisingly, it's a pretty good game. I have never played it with the Wiimote, but it works perfectly with a GCN controller/Classic controller. Regarding the visuals, it has some of the prettiest ones on Wii (character geometry, textures, particles), although some of the arenas aren't as detailed as others. Characters are modeled accordingly and animate fluidly. VO aren't Surprisingly, it's a pretty good game. I have never played it with the Wiimote, but it works perfectly with a GCN controller/Classic controller. Regarding the visuals, it has some of the prettiest ones on Wii (character geometry, textures, particles), although some of the arenas aren't as detailed as others. Characters are modeled accordingly and animate fluidly. VO aren't bad either and you can choose whether they're in Japanese or English. Combat is fast and furious, and takes a little time to master it, but once you do it then everything feels just right. Audio is superb, as expected. Now, onto the most stressed complaints: a) The camera. While the camera system for the game isn't perfect, it doesn't render the game unplayable or less funnier. The fact is, once you understand how it works (it tends to "follow" to the nearest character) you can work it around. It's not the best setup, but there are far worst camera systems out there. Sure, this may be unacceptable to some, but actually I find it pretty flexible as it works. b) Character design. This is a bit difficult to grade and depends entirely on personal taste. I for one feel comfortable with the character designs and I really love some of them even more in the actual models than in their illustrated forms (Alucard comes to mind). As it stands, the Castlevania series have never attached to a specific style, specifically in most recent times - Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia - and while some may argue that Ayami Kojima's style is the most "suitable"for the series (and believe me, I love her style as well), it is also refreshing to have these 'alternate takes' to her designs. Sure, some are better than others, but I find it difficult not to like them. Yeah, they may look different and aren't as delicate or effeminate or detailed as her designs, but in the end, as I previously stated, is more of personal taste than anything else and they serve the purpose and context of the game as they are. For a Wii game, it has a very decent on-line mode and global leaderboards, something that even Nintendo's own Smash Bros. couldn't deliver. There are some derivative modes to Story mode in the game as well and here are my greatest complaints, specially Castle mode. While the challenges are interesting and the unlockable accessories give some legs to the game, it is the fact the rooms/arenas are always the same doesn't help and make this particular mode repetitive. Enemy models are ported over the Playstation 2 offerings, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there are so few that sometimes it would feel better if they weren't there in the first place. This is a great fighting game - let a lone a Castlevania game - so if you are curious about it, i recommend you at least to rent it. For those fans to the series, you'll find lots of fan service and references to past games here. Have fun. Expand
  7. josiahh
    Mar 22, 2009
    You know, I was a fan of castlevania since it made its first game for the nes. I was enthralled to find it available for virtual console and played it for hours remembering the days when the graphics were good. So, naturally when i saw judgement on the shelves, I bought it immediatly. i was disapointed to find that it was a simple fighting game, and no longer an adventure, but i grew to You know, I was a fan of castlevania since it made its first game for the nes. I was enthralled to find it available for virtual console and played it for hours remembering the days when the graphics were good. So, naturally when i saw judgement on the shelves, I bought it immediatly. i was disapointed to find that it was a simple fighting game, and no longer an adventure, but i grew to enjoy it. It was overall, pretty good, with a few flaws. There really should have been more things fom the original titles, the controls were insultingly simple, and it was somewhat patronizing the way they almost expected you to be scared when playing. Also, this is a big problem with all wii games, but you can win just about any match by shaking the remote like you have a cockraoch crawling on your arm. Expand
  8. Jul 26, 2011
    THE GOOD: An enjoyable, easy to learn, fighter that features great stages, nice graphics (wii), and an incredible score. THE BAD: The camera CAN BE problematic.No adventure mode in a "Castlevania" game? THE UGLY: Zomg, why did they drag the Belmont's into this title? The character design and story really do not fit in the Castlevania series. This is annoying and cheap marketing thatTHE GOOD: An enjoyable, easy to learn, fighter that features great stages, nice graphics (wii), and an incredible score. THE BAD: The camera CAN BE problematic.No adventure mode in a "Castlevania" game? THE UGLY: Zomg, why did they drag the Belmont's into this title? The character design and story really do not fit in the Castlevania series. This is annoying and cheap marketing that probably hurts perception of this game more than helps. Expand
  9. Jun 26, 2011
    Haters gonna hate. This game rocks. This is the Final Fantasy Dissia of the Castlevania franchise. The controls are simple and smart, as long as you're using the Classic Controller. Each move has a counter, and it becomes a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. Who said that's a bad thing, though?

Many gripe about the camera, but it's whatever. I haven't had any problems with the camera. Anyone who has a problem with it needs to get something called hand-eye coordination. The special attacks are cool, not too short, not too long. The voice acting is satisfactory, however mouths move often when nothing is even being said.

In addition to the story mode, there's a Dracula's Castle mode, where you explore different rooms, accomplishing different objectives. The pull here is to earn custom equipment to decorate your characters with.

Wifi is fine as long as your partner has a good connection.

I love this game, for the price I paid for it, it's a steal. Thanks for all the nay-sayers rating this game down, making it cheap.
  10. Dec 20, 2011
    Not a bad game, the controls are great, the character selection is good and the moves and attacks can't be more epic. As a single-player game it's great and it's also great fun having a friend over and playing to death.
  11. Nov 14, 2011
    This isn't Castlevania, it's not a 'pleasent surprise' IGN, and it's not cool. It's a obsurd little game with a revealing cover forcing teenage girls to buy it. Now that's just sick, the graphics suck, the gameplay is dissapointing, and the game itself is the equivilant to horse dung. Still want to buy it?
  12. dib8rman
    Dec 3, 2008
    This game reminds me of what Marvel vs Capcom 2 would be like if it were 3d, its totally deep, I switched to control style two which basically turns basic attacks to the B button and super move is waggle.

The game is totally amazing, My only beef is that online people play like rejects and refuse to have a good fight, they stick with Dracula and do hit and run tactics with everyone else. (Death, Shinoa and Aeon)
  13. JoeC.
    Nov 19, 2008
    Cool game, it has lots of features and is a fresh spin on the Castlevania series. Don't listen to 1up's incomplete review of the game as they fail to mention many of the game's modes. For a better comprehension take a look at IGN's review.

#25 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008

In the list of games I'm dying to play in the Castlevania series, a 3D fighter was about as far from the top as possible, but Judgment was a pleasant surprise.
    As a fighter, Castlevania Judgment employs too many design ideas that are neither well planned nor well executed. It's a strange misstep for the beloved series, one that Konami hopefully learns from.
  3. Nintendo Power
    If you forgo your expectations of what a Castlevania game should be--or are simply looking for a respectable 3-D fighting game--you should have a good time with Judgment. [Holiday 2008, p.77]