6.8

1. Dec 1, 2010
    The ideas at play in Epic Mickey are extremely intriguing and attractive, however, the execution is sub-par for a game this generation. The controls and camera are sluggish and take the joy out of the platforming. Generic enemy and level design also plague this title. This game was highly anticipated and I can't feel slightly disappointed by the finished product. This is a missedThe ideas at play in Epic Mickey are extremely intriguing and attractive, however, the execution is sub-par for a game this generation. The controls and camera are sluggish and take the joy out of the platforming. Generic enemy and level design also plague this title. This game was highly anticipated and I can't feel slightly disappointed by the finished product. This is a missed opportunity by Junction Point and Disney to make a really exciting product that can both introduce Mickey Mouse to a new generation and provide a quality licensed title. Epic Mickey is enjoyable at times, but getting through the tedious segments of the game is incredibly taxing. Expand
  2. Dec 6, 2010
    I've had my watchful eye on Epic Mickey since the very first concept art. Seeing all of those Disney landmarks twisted and nightmarish was unbelievably intriguing, and in the proper way too. I tend to love concepts where all the things I've known and loved as a child are ripped out from under me and I'm left to wander around this strange world. And thats exactly what Epic Mickey succeedsI've had my watchful eye on Epic Mickey since the very first concept art. Seeing all of those Disney landmarks twisted and nightmarish was unbelievably intriguing, and in the proper way too. I tend to love concepts where all the things I've known and loved as a child are ripped out from under me and I'm left to wander around this strange world. And thats exactly what Epic Mickey succeeds in, placing you in a world filled with unfamiliar nostalgia in the form of, as quoted by Warren Spector, the game's lead designer, "a platformer game on Wii to rival the efforts of Nintendo's own Mario franchise".

Yeah, you wish, Warren.

Warren Spector is a great storyteller, and is certainly one of the better of today's generation. The story will evoke many emotions from you in ways that really allow you to resonate with the characters and their feelings of sadness, hopelessness and despair. The environment adds a depressing feel that would start to be happy only then to show that your favorite Disneyland attraction has been turned to a demented version of what you remember. And then in comes animatronic Goofy's disembodied head and you start to freak out a little bit. The environemnt and story are all great, but the "legendary" designer needs to remember that while yes, games are growing to be an outstanding medium for storytelling, we also have to PLAY through those stories since they are still video games. The gameplay is the game's Achilles heel. Every ounce of potential for a groundbreaking title completely collapses under the unnecessary baggage that is the sloppy platforming and abysmal camera. Of all the emotions that the game has evoked from me, the one most vibrant in my mind is anger that such a brilliant concept is dismayed by such unbelievable flaws. Warren, you're a very refreshing mind in the industry today, and thankfully Epic Mickey will sell enough to possibly warrent a sequel, and will succeed in bringing Mickey Mouse back to a healthy state of relevance. But you're going to make this game a 3D platformer and screw up the camera, a now-obsolete problem from over 10 years ago? Get it together. Unbelievably disappointing.
  3. Dec 5, 2010
    A lot of wasted potential... Marred mostly by braindead gameplay, laggy controls, and a camera from hell. The story/nostalgia can't salvage it completely while it is endearing. They had it right at the concept art.
  4. Dec 14, 2010
    When I first saw the cover of this game on Game Informer, I was amazed. The cover looks like a goth part of Mickey that I was thinking it would be cool....until I looked in the magazine for game footage's. It didn't look like what I expected it to be, I was thinking that it would look like a dark part like Kingdom Hearts has a little bit. Your just using a paint brush coloring buildings.When I first saw the cover of this game on Game Informer, I was amazed. The cover looks like a goth part of Mickey that I was thinking it would be cool....until I looked in the magazine for game footage's. It didn't look like what I expected it to be, I was thinking that it would look like a dark part like Kingdom Hearts has a little bit. Your just using a paint brush coloring buildings. Might as well just finger paint. I rented the game, and I felt disappointed, my little cousins agree with me (11 yrs. and 9 yrs.). I wish Disney can make this game dark and goth, it would be pretty cool. But, this isn't what I have in mind. Expand
  5. Dec 9, 2010
    TBH, it's not bad, but it's not great. Comparing this with other platforming games like Kirby's Epic Yarn, this is junk. I do not like how the game is paste, and I feel as I finished more of a filler episode of Kingdom Hearts rather than actually play a solid game. The history addition is alright, but there is no nostalgic moment to it nor is it memorable.
  6. Dec 6, 2010
    I cannot understand how some people can give this game a 10. I'm a big disney fan and I was expecting a lot from this game. And I'm being objective here, the idea is great. The art is sweet and adorable, totally keeping the 'Disney' feel. When I saw the mixed reviews I still went ahead and bought the game, to make an idea of it all myself.

But sadly, the level design isn't too permissive

But sadly, the level design isn't too permissive and the cameras are horrendous resulting of a very frustrating experience. Sure the first few minutes are fine, but if you keep going it gets tedious fast. I was also a tad disappointed of the lack of voice over, sometimes I didn't have the time to read the text and it was gone. And at some point I was so frustrated of not being able to solve a platforming area because of the jumps, I did hand over the controller to my bf and he gave up as well and was pissed off, then his brother tried and same things, gave up and said it was not enough permissive. So to me, it falls flat... No more than a 6/10.
  7. Dec 2, 2010
    An awful camera and clunky controls prevent this charming platformer from fulfilling its potential. While the art direction is generally good, it seems that Junction Point has failed to meet the expectations generated from the stunning conceptual artwork. The lack of recorded dialogue is a disappointment as the sound design is, for the most part, impressive. Epic Mickey is a solid game,An awful camera and clunky controls prevent this charming platformer from fulfilling its potential. While the art direction is generally good, it seems that Junction Point has failed to meet the expectations generated from the stunning conceptual artwork. The lack of recorded dialogue is a disappointment as the sound design is, for the most part, impressive. Epic Mickey is a solid game, but I can't shake the feeling that it's incomplete. Expand
  8. Dec 30, 2010
    I had interest in this game since E3 when Warren gave his demostration, and a best word to describe it; Disappointing. Maybe it was partly due to Warren Spector and Junction Point hyping it up every waking moment. But still, the camera is a dodgy can be a right bugger, controls feel really, um, 'tight' and irresponsive, well, in my experience anyway. I also found the actual platforming toI had interest in this game since E3 when Warren gave his demostration, and a best word to describe it; Disappointing. Maybe it was partly due to Warren Spector and Junction Point hyping it up every waking moment. But still, the camera is a dodgy can be a right bugger, controls feel really, um, 'tight' and irresponsive, well, in my experience anyway. I also found the actual platforming to be "average". The paint/thinner mechanic saved it from being a complete disaster. It's stuff you've seen before, very basic and not anything on the level it was hyped to be. But, the characters have good personalities, and Wasteland is really intriguing place to explore. The paint/thinner mechanic is genius and makes for some interesting gameplay. The game has massive depth, with Warren's manifesto "Playstyle matters" couldn't be more true. But, despite this, and offering you plenty of gametime, I felt that you'll only feel good when you make a decision which isn't signposted. If you're a Disney fan then you should give this a try. But approach with caution. Expand
  9. Dec 19, 2010
    I was blown away when I rented this game.(not in a good way) The environments were nice the back ground was good, and mickey looked normal-ish. A good start, then I saw the biggest error the camera. I literally was, so annoyed at first that I wanted to sue Disney. (something I have an urge to do a lot this year cough, Tron)I did finish the game, and it was fun, and long enough with plentyI was blown away when I rented this game.(not in a good way) The environments were nice the back ground was good, and mickey looked normal-ish. A good start, then I saw the biggest error the camera. I literally was, so annoyed at first that I wanted to sue Disney. (something I have an urge to do a lot this year cough, Tron)I did finish the game, and it was fun, and long enough with plenty of references to older Disney cartoons. Sadly after the control issue it may not have been worth it. Sorry Disney that's the last time I play one of your over-hyped games again! Collapse
  10. Jan 2, 2011
    As somebody who doesn't read up on upcoming games I am generally unaffected by hype. Going into this game without any preconceptions about what to expect, I found that I walked away with mixed feelings. The worlds are very well crafted although the prominent dark atmosphere can sometimes detract from the world's charm. I found the "2D" sequences to be particularly enjoyable. The keyAs somebody who doesn't read up on upcoming games I am generally unaffected by hype. Going into this game without any preconceptions about what to expect, I found that I walked away with mixed feelings. The worlds are very well crafted although the prominent dark atmosphere can sometimes detract from the world's charm. I found the "2D" sequences to be particularly enjoyable. The key characters command a lot of presence and are very likable and memorable. I understand that in many games of this genre you will find a lot of cookie cutter "extras" to fill in towns and the such and this game is no exception. Fortunately they do not detract from the experience of the game but rather add to it. As many other reviews have pointed out, you might have difficulty enjoying these worlds as the camera can be downright painful at times. The camera becomes fixed at one angle at parts and even though there are mechanics in the game to center the camera on where you are facing, to move the camera around, or to look through Mickey's eyes, most of the time the game will not allow you to use these camera manipulating functions thus resulting in you having to guess where to leap, or wondering what lies just beyond sight. The game flows well but at times the way the quests are arranged feels reminiscent of World Of Warcraft. You must go around and gather 'x' amount of 'y', or go to point 'z' and paint in 'x'...etc. At times it can feel very rinse and repeat and can make the game seem to drag on at times. Now to be clear the game play is not completely boring, or dull and definitely has it's moments. I just found that it wasn't the kind of game that I could just sit down and play for hours and hours on end but needed to be broken up into smaller pieces. Depending on the person you may find yourself playing for an hour before taking a break, or you may be more like my wife who is able to take in around three before forcing herself to take a break. So it really does depend on if you are alright with repetition. (My time playing games like World Of Warcraft may have jaded me towards this kind of game play.) There are some wonderful moments as well but it feels like in between each of these amazing moments that completely engross you there are some definite fillers to extend the length of the game. Overall It is quite enjoyable however. The main mechanic of the game (the paint and thinner aspect) is well executed. I understand the challenges with programming this type of mechanic and I can admire what they did. Whenever you enter an area there are an assortment of objects that are both painted and unpainted. This gives you the choice to either use thinner to erase what has already been painted or to use paint to paint in predetermined objects. It is a little disappointing that the majority of the objects that are modifiable are quest items. I think it would have added a lot to the game to have completely random objects with no definite purpose as an option to paint or erase but that may just be me. I do believe that in some cases the ability to affect the world more dramatically using the paint/thinner mechanic would have been beneficial but that is very much so a personal preference. What they did, they did well and it does contribute to an enjoyable experience with this game. Difficulty is pretty much bang on. You can play through it casually but there are moments that will challenge you. The switch between difficulties is smooth though, not ramping up too quickly and easing you into difficult situations. Some reviewers believe that combat is broken due to the inability to lock on to your target. I see the decision to not include a "lock-on" function as genius. Back in the day there wasn't any "lock-on" feature to make gamers lazy. There are a number of games that do not have this feature yet are completely playable; Monster Hunter Tri comes to mind. Ultimately this comes down to a matter of preference once again and adds to the difficulty of the game. One aspect that I absolutely love is that depending on how you deal with each situation presented to you will have an affect on how the game plays out. The "karma" system as I shall refer to it is leaps and bounds ahead of the system implemented in games such as Fable. A decision can mean the difference between fighting a boss or skipping him altogether. Destructive choices tend to be the easy way out but can be less satisfying, but trying to befriend or save enemies while the more difficult choice can feel more rewarding in the end.

While I would love to give this game a perfect score I just cannot because of the few issues previously mentioned. Epic Mickey is a well made game with excellent promise that falls short primarily on quest delivery and camera execution.
  11. Feb 25, 2011
    I'm sorry. I wanted to like this game, I really did, but I had problems with the combat.
    It just took too long. You'd think just one attack would get them, but you have to spray them with a little too much paint or thinner. This game had so much potential. :(
  12. Dec 28, 2012
    El juego, sin ser nada revolucionario, aporta unas buenas tardes junto al televisor. No hay que esperar un título inolvidable, pero lo que da lo hace de manera sincera, y es una buena alternativa para los amantes de las plataformas y de los dibujos clásicos de Disney. Algunas pantallas en 2D (y sus pegadizas melodías), o escenas como las del final, quedan grabadas comoEl juego, sin ser nada revolucionario, aporta unas buenas tardes junto al televisor. No hay que esperar un título inolvidable, pero lo que da lo hace de manera sincera, y es una buena alternativa para los amantes de las plataformas y de los dibujos clásicos de Disney. Algunas pantallas en 2D (y sus pegadizas melodías), o escenas como las del final, quedan grabadas como buenos recuerdos, y eso es síntoma de un buen juego. Expand
  13. Feb 14, 2011
    I bought this game cause I had heard lots of good things about it, on top of that it stars an iconic Disney character that I've grown to love. However, this game is not as good as it's hyped to be. It's an ok game, but nothing spectacular. Basically, you obviously play as Mickey, who has accidently disturbed a world of forgotten Disney characters, by spilling magic thiner onto a model ofI bought this game cause I had heard lots of good things about it, on top of that it stars an iconic Disney character that I've grown to love. However, this game is not as good as it's hyped to be. It's an ok game, but nothing spectacular. Basically, you obviously play as Mickey, who has accidently disturbed a world of forgotten Disney characters, by spilling magic thiner onto a model of the world, turning it into a dark realm. Mickey then gets sucked into the world, and becomes trapped, and your mission is to find a way out. At the same time however, you want to try to hunt down the king of the realm Oswald, who used to be Disney's big star before Mickey came along, and he is trying to destroy Mickey. Throughout the game, you have to use the paint brush to create or delete objects to solve puzzles, which sounds cool at first, but is actually pretty agitating in this particular way. You use Paint to reate, and thinner to delete, the problem with doing this is it's extremely hard to figure out when you have to paint or delete something. Usually, if you see a faded object, it means you have to use paint on it, and if you see a brightly lit object, it can be deleted, but with lots of bright lights in each level, it's hard to tell if something is deletable, and the faded objects are so faded, you pretty much have to squint to see them, which means odds are, you'll get stuck alot. I ended up getting the strategy guide, cause I was constantly getting stuck in parts where all i had to do was paint or thin something, but it's hard to tell, cause it's tough to spot. If you insist on getting this game, make sure you get the strategy guide, otherwise you will get angry. The whole concept of using the brush is fasinating though, but they need to add a way to see the paintable objects easier, like a compass that points to objects that can be painted.

The most enjoyable part of the game is playing the side-scrolling levels. It reminded me of classics I played as a kid, and it was pretty fun. The problem though, is the side-scrollers are way too short. You can literally clear them in less than a minute, then it's back to trying to find the objects you have to paint or thin out. Fighting enemies isn't too great either. The only way to battle is by spraying paint on them to turn them from evil to good, or spray thinner on them to kill them, that's not too fun. Yeah, you could do that in Mario Sunshine, but in that game you didn't have to use the spray, you could punch them. The story is slow and dull, you basically just chase Oswald in the first half of the game, it get's pretty boring. I don't have any more time left to finish this review, but overall, it's not too great. I don't really recomend it at all. If you want a fun game that involves using a paint brush, you're better off getting Okami. I'm giving Disney's Epic Mickey a 6/10.
  14. Jun 1, 2011
    Epic Mickey takes one of the world's most beloved mascots and places him in a strange decayed and ruined world he help destroy and create. Mickey travels around a magical kingdom of forgotten and lost characters and hopes to right his wrongs and escape the ruined world. With the magical paint brush Mickey is able to create and destroy with paint and thinner. All of that sounds wonderful onEpic Mickey takes one of the world's most beloved mascots and places him in a strange decayed and ruined world he help destroy and create. Mickey travels around a magical kingdom of forgotten and lost characters and hopes to right his wrongs and escape the ruined world. With the magical paint brush Mickey is able to create and destroy with paint and thinner. All of that sounds wonderful on paper.. but the final product is far from wonderful.
    The game is directed by Warren Spector, the man behind Deus Ex, and a few Ultima games. While I have yet to experience them I don't know much about his previous works, but it one can see that this is his first platformer he's worked on. While the world of the Wasteland is quite interesting with places like Mickeyjunk Mountain standing out, you feel that the team didn't know how to approach the platforming sections of the game. There's 2D and 3D sections to the game. The short 2D sections prove to be tedious, repetitive and uninspired platforming while the 3D sections get screwed by a horrible camera which fails to follow you properly and won't shift. I fell plenty of times because of the faulty camera. The music feels full and orchestral but there's no stand out tracks ,besides the warped 2D section music.
    The game promises a moral choice system, you can be evil and erase the baddies and not help people or help people and convert the baddies to goodies. Overall.. it doesn't matter the main ending is still the same. I was kind of expecting Mickey to merge with the big bad of the game and become the evil menace to the Wastleland and rule it with an iron fist., or something a bit darker then the same happy ending that happens.
    Overall, Epic Mickey is an interesting adventure full of neat little tidbits from Disney's past. But .. it is held back by a poor camera and poor level design.
  15. Dec 4, 2011
    Epic Mickey is a good game. A must own if your a disney fan but a word of warning the camera is bad in this game and will make you want to throw your wiimote or paint brush. With that said I like the concept of this game a cool story line good graphics for the wii. These graphics are more like Mickey stuck in a Burtin world with all the darker shades. If you like a good platformer and areEpic Mickey is a good game. A must own if your a disney fan but a word of warning the camera is bad in this game and will make you want to throw your wiimote or paint brush. With that said I like the concept of this game a cool story line good graphics for the wii. These graphics are more like Mickey stuck in a Burtin world with all the darker shades. If you like a good platformer and are willing the put up the camera I feel this is a must own current prices have this game at 15 to 30 dollars which in is a steal BUY IT.
    +graphics -camera
    +paint/thinner idea -no voice overs
    +story
    +hidden stuff
  16. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is not bad, per say. It has its flaws such the camera which really hurts the game in the long run. But, it does tell a story in a grim tone without being a waste of time. The platforming and puzzles are great, but most importantly, its Disney references are remarkable. If you are a Disney fan or enjoy a good platformer you will enjoy Epic Mickey.
  17. Jun 11, 2013
    Relatively entertaining. Not very balanced co-op. Seems like it was made for one player as Mickey and then a second player was slapped on with a few attacks. Mickey solves the majority of the puzzles and controls the majority of the choices. Not very exciting if you aren't Mickey and like to do more than basic attacks and turning on machines.

Having to call Mickey over to do

Having to call Mickey over to do something basic like paint an object or chest is very tedious. The controls aren't well explained. Many vital moves are not explained at all you are just told to do it. The game feels very slapped together.
  18. Mar 29, 2014
    I really couldn't get into this game. It just didn't impress me all that much. I do like both Disney and video games but for some reason, I am not as much as a fan of Disney video games. The gameplay just felt bland and boring, the story felt a bit uninspiring and this also was one of those tutorial infested games; I really think that tutorials shouldn't be so long, just kept simpleI really couldn't get into this game. It just didn't impress me all that much. I do like both Disney and video games but for some reason, I am not as much as a fan of Disney video games. The gameplay just felt bland and boring, the story felt a bit uninspiring and this also was one of those tutorial infested games; I really think that tutorials shouldn't be so long, just kept simple because I find myself grinding through text boxes throughout the game. Overall I just wasn't a fan, maybe I'll give it a second chance later on, but I don't see myself playing this or the sequel any time soon. Expand
  19. Dec 19, 2010

1. Feb 8, 2011
    A fantastic historical / interactive / playable document and sometimes irregular, expressed in its good and bad moments.
  2. Feb 6, 2011
    Clumsy design holds it back from true greatness. [Christmas 2010, p.46]
  3. Jan 31, 2011
    Its reach exceeds its grasp, but at least Disney Epic Mickey is reaching. Occasionally it brushes its fingertips up against something amazing that might have been.