6.8

1. Nov 30, 2010
    Did this title live up to the hype? No. Let's get that out of the way. Epic Mickey, however, succeeds on many levels. It succeeds in doing what many dragged out franchises have failed to do. Make you care about the characters. While I realize that Disney isn't exactly the Video game exclusive, the creators of Epic Mickey have succeeded in telling a fairly original story that helps younger generations familiarize themselves with the origin and history of Disney and the many forgotten characters from the golden era of cartoons.

While the story delivers, the game play is where Epic Mickey loses 1 point from a perfect 10. As noted is many reviews, the camera may pose a problem to some players. I was readily spamming the "C" button to avoid such camera chaos, so the camera was forgivable. A somewhat clunky aiming system is also a minor setback in the game. Neither of these small problems, in my opinion, warrant the harsh criticisms many of the reviewers have had on this title.

I feel that Epic Mickey succeeds in visuals and audio as well. A well balanced (although somewhat repetitive) soundtrack tags along on the wonderful journey in Epic Mickey. The only gripe about the audio is the fact that there is no spoken dialogue - just subtitles and cartoon gibberish. The visuals, though dated and to be expected on the Wii, work very well for the obvious cartoon styled graphics. The framerate suffers at times, and the character models suffer from some pretty rough "jaggies", even running the Wii through component cables.

I don't normally write reviews, but I had been looking forward to this game since it was announced, and have gladly come to say that this title has brought my Wii back to life for the time being - and I urge people not to latch onto seemingly mindless critics harping on very minor issues.

Epic Mickey is a blast. Sure it could've been more, but I feel this game succeeds on all of the right levels. Will the 6-12 yr old demographic enjoy it? I think they will, even if they don't understand the context of many of the characters (the game does a superb job of simplifying the origins of the "forgotten characters"). The game play is solid and interesting enough to warrant a purchase from parents for their kids. I do think that this game will be most enjoyed die hard disney fans, since this game pays tribute to classic Disney more than it does current Disney brands.

Some will moan and complain that the lack of familiarity with characters will cause people to lose interest. I don't think it will.

Check it out.
  2. Dec 3, 2010
    I don't understand why all the hardcore "gamerz" out there believe this title should have been made only for them. My kids love the game and have enjoyed it tremendously. Maybe they aren't trying to be journalists and sound important on the internet for all the other nerds. I'm very happy with my children's enjoyment of this game and I trust Disney. The end.
  3. Dec 30, 2010
    i am half way though the game. wow! Hard work! But it is so fun! lots of paint! green and blue! there is even a world of forgotten charachters . mickey is brave. There is even an ink monster .
  4. Dec 12, 2010
    Great game! Some bugs, but still finishes way above the sea level thanks to constant development, a nice story, good graphics and top notch gameplay. Having said that, the camera system can be a bit annoying at times and the game play doesn't always provide instant gratification, but I'd say... 9
  5. Dec 2, 2010
    A great moment with the family- played it all we with my son and we are hooked! some difficult moments but nothing that could not be solved with google. So happy to share some Mickey moments with the kid...love the mini rabbits too
  6. Dec 1, 2010
    After playing through this game, easily my most anticipated Wii title of the year, I can say that while it doesn't quite live up to my expectations, it's still an experience that has such an astounding amount of love crafted into it that I can't help but find it a fantastic production, even if it's not as solid as other Wii offerings this year. Classic Disney buffs will probably get a kick out of this game, which sees Mickey going into an alternate world where all the forgotten Disney characters reside, like Horace Horsecollar, Clarabelle Cow, as well as various temporary-incarnations of Pete and numerous others, all led by Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, the original creation of Walt Disney, whose up-and-coming fame was shafted by Mickey Mouse due to legal reasons so many years ago. Having accidentally caused a horrible disaster in the world years prior, Mickey is pulled into the world, where he has to escape while making grand choices that will effect the now devastated plane, now known as "The Wasteland". Choices come heavily into play, as you have access to two different types of materials to affect the world around you: Paint, and Paint Thinner. The former won't always have immediate reward, but will generally benefit you in the long run, and the latter has practically immediate payoff but with often huge consequences, though both are often used in certain puzzles one way or the other. The heavy choices you make are given a surface-level simplicity that most kids won't have too much trouble understanding, but the amount of difference it has on the world and how its' characters treat you can be quite astounding. Another two items in the package that seriously impress are the visual aesthetics of the game, and the wonderful soundtrack within. The world is essentially a macabre version of Disneyland, all its' notable locales twisted beyond recognition at some point, like a barren Main Street or a run-down version of Toontown, and a few new locales, like a mountain made almost entirely of old Mickey memorabilia. All I can say about the orchestrated soundtrack is that it's about on the same level as a great Disney film, and I hope it will be released in a separate package. The one aspect that unfortunately doesn't quite conform to the same quality as the rest is the gameplay, which feels a little bit like something out of the N64 era, with a very spotty camera and quite basic platforming and combat without much variety. There's still enjoyment and fun to be had, if you're willing to put up with a few problems synonymous with antiquated game design, but I'd say the same thing about other heavily-enjoyed Wii games like Super Mario Galaxy or the like. The paint/thinner concept stretches well to some neat gameplay flourishes, no pun intended, like activating and deactivating moving platforms for easier mobility, or the choice between outright eliminating enemies with thinner, or turning them into friends that will help you with your fight by use of paint. There's also a few "sketches", which give you other powers like distracting enemies, summoning anvils for attack from above, or temporarily slowing down time, but besides occasional use, these can feel a little extraneous and unnecessary for the most part. As said, despite its' issues, Epic Mickey has so much to it that should not be forgotten, like a heavily-inspired storyline involving Disney characters that haven't had their due in a long time, a wonderfully and whimsically dark world that will scream to some players to save it and to others to ignore its' existence, a soundtrack that hits all the right notes for a Disney production, and simplifying the concept of grandiose choices to a level where everyone can understand their meaning without beating you over the head with some kind of cheap morality system. It's just a shame that the gameplay isn't quite all there when it needs to be. Regardless, this is an experience that I believe everyone should give a chance, especially those who have a fondness for much of Disney's obscure history. Expand
  7. Dec 1, 2010
    okay soooo epic mickey has an horrible cam...but so what!!! this game is creative and beauitful!! i feel like some people want to hate on this game for no reason and it stupid. im not sure why..but maybe because it's not for 360 and ps3. but anyways this game is wonderful. please don't listen to reviews and have an opinion of your own and try it out!! not all reviews are true!! it's not a fact!! people it's just an opinion, so if they don't like it so what!! also this game has been getting ALOT of positive reviews too!! and many problems are cause by the cam!! if it had a wonderful cam..this game will really rock. Collapse
  8. HPA
    Dec 2, 2010
    Overall, a fantastic game! Through every minute of playtime I loved the story and all of the Disney history involved. While some of the reviews from critics have bemoaned the fact that Junction Point chose to give a darker tone to the game, I find it to be quite beautiful. Graphically (for a Wii game) it is in that top tier of games. I find myself wanting to play through the game at least 2-3 more times to further explore wasteland and see how my decisions impact the overall story. First time through, I tried to use the paint mechanic almost exclusively, so I am very intrigued to find out what happens when I do the exact opposite. I manually controlled the camera at all times with the remote's D pad, so I didn't find the camera to be the same problem that some other critics have claimed it to be. Not perfect, but not bad either... I would have preferred that Junction Point allow for classic controller pro set up, but I understand the desire to utilize motion controls on a system such as the Wii. This is a must buy for anyone who loves great characters, great story, beautiful setting and environment, as well as exploration and gameplay choices that impact the way the story unfolds. Expand
  9. Dec 25, 2010
    The game is really cool, but it is so dark. I am scared of a few things and this had a lot of them in there, and i am almost 16 years old, not typical Disney which I love. I love how this game is different and how it has the classic characters :)
  10. Feb 2, 2011
    This game is hard. but it is tons of fun. ozwald finally got to be on the screen again. its been a long time. the charecters are well represented and the graphics are great. but 1 problem is that sometimes you cant see whats on the screen cause its dark. i recomend this gme to anyone who loves disney.
  11. Mar 12, 2011
    Epic Mickey is an amazing game. It wraps the company history in an amazing fantasy adventure game. Oswald the Lucky rabbit takes center stage as the ruler of the Wasteland and was Walt Disney's first creation. This game approaches the rivalry that developed when Walt lost the rights to Oswald and then went on to create Mickey Mouse. Other characters include various incarnations of Pete, Clarabelle Cow, Horace Horsecollar, and others. These were characters that I was raised on and it is so great to see them in the spotlight once more. The platforming elements were easy to get used to. The game moves from 3-D to 2-D platforming seamlessly and the morality system is fun to experiment with. I look forward to the potential for more games continuing the story of the Wasteland. Expand
  12. Apr 29, 2011
    this is a beautiful game with RPG elements, good controls and a great story, sure it has some problems with the camera some times but its not a big problem when a game has more good things then bad things, this is a great game if you want a game with mickey mouse
  13. Nov 18, 2011
    For me, 'Epic Mickey' is kinda like a magic game. It gives kinda the nostalgic feeling from old platform games and adventure games. The only thing that I can complain about is the camera angle, but you can get to it by time.
  14. Jul 14, 2012
    As you may have noticed I chose this game title as my username for this website because it is just SO AWESOME! The story is deep and fascinating, the music is good and doesn't grind on the nerves, the gameplay is rich and challenging and, best of all, it is exciting to see old characters that SHOULD have been popular through today. It is overall a terrific Disney game.
  15. May 14, 2013
    Great game,great dialogue is strong in concept and.....a bit flawed in execution don't ya think? But...i absolutely love this game,a platformer masterpiece that will NEVER bore the player.
  16. May 14, 2013
    Epic,just epic. This game has a strong concept and i love it as RONALDiss says:A masterpiece. Don't you believe it?just try yourself! It's an epic experience that you can't absolutely miss. 10/10
  17. Apr 10, 2013
    Epic Mickey is, in my opinion, an amazing experience. Yes, the camera sucks, but once you get used to it it just becomes a part of the game- an integral part of combat is constantly moving the camera, but it becomes very natural. Disney took a daring step with this game, and they didn't 100% make it, but I say they did a pretty good job. Another thing- for the wii, the graphics are killer. Although some environments can be annoyingly dark, overall the level design looks great. And the enemies you fight- literally I have no idea how Junction Point managed to force the Wii to handle it. Naturally, because of this there may be a couple of instances of lag, but its nothing serious. It bogs a little at one point with fetch quests on Mean Street, but toward the end of the game I could not stop playing. My verdict? It's cheap. Pick it up. (PS- Replay value is tremendous) Expand
  18. Aug 7, 2014
    Personally, this is one of my favorite games. This is a game that sends you down into a world that feels like its been forgotten and ruined. Marvelous art style, animation and soundtrack set the tone for this game perfectly. The cutscenes are especially unique and well-done, and they fit into the game. Many say that they were disappointed by the lack of voice-acting that was replaced with grunts and moans, but I personally think it fit. Any voice-acting probably would have broken the immersion and atmosphere. The story is also unique in the sense that it is based off of truth: characters lost to history are reintroduced and remembered once more in a great story that will entrance you with its characterization and plot. The game, however, does fall slightly in the gameplay area: the controls are a bit bothersome, but more annoying are the quests that are essentially fetch-quests. But I did like just running around and exploring the different areas of Wasteland, experimenting with different choices and paths every playthrough. The morality system (dubbed "play-style matters") wasn't as deep or enjoyable as I think it could've been, but I still had fun with it. I was hooked and played through it as many times as it took to get every precious pin, and I loved every minute of it. Expand
  19. Dec 1, 2010

1. Feb 8, 2011
    A fantastic historical / interactive / playable document and sometimes irregular, expressed in its good and bad moments.
  2. Feb 6, 2011
    Clumsy design holds it back from true greatness. [Christmas 2010, p.46]
  3. Jan 31, 2011
    Its reach exceeds its grasp, but at least Disney Epic Mickey is reaching. Occasionally it brushes its fingertips up against something amazing that might have been.