EA Sports Active 2 Wii

8.1

1. Dec 12, 2010
    Love the new workouts, however; 2 complaints. Leg strap doesn't seem to register movement in squats and lunges and you lose connection with Wii Remote and Wii balance board several times during a workout. Sometimes in the middle of an exercise! Any suggestions fellow gamers?
  2. May 19, 2012
    Short version: Get it now since it AND the strength training kit are cheap, but it requires a little patience.

While some of the motion controls could stand some polish (but then, ALL motion controls could), overall this is a solid alternative to shelling out $40 a month on aerobics classes and a personal trainer at an average gym. For anyone wanting to get in shape, this game will take you at least from couch potato to weekend warrior within the 9 week challenge, if you stick to its schedule and do ALL the exercises it asks you to. This game does, however, suffer from one major flaw; on its own, the game will give you a so-so workout. The 'super strength building kit' that can be purchased for about $20 as an add-on however, makes it go from a 5 to an 8. I got my copy with the kit at the same time, and the kit is AMAZING for the price. I thought for $20 that I'd get some flimsy crap that would break in one or two workouts or snap like the awful tension bands provided by the base game... I was pleasantly surprised. The game SHOULD have come packed with all these goodies; two good-quality weighted gloves (1 lb each), two ankle or wrist weights (not very comfortable on the wrists, however, unless you're Hulk Hogan, also 1 lb each) and two barbells, one with a Move/Wiimote enclosure, that can weigh up to 4 pounds each. Also comes with a skipping rope (a bit too long for me), also with a Move/Wiimote or move cradle, and a 20-pound tension band with a mesh for holding a Move/Wii controller. It also comes with a thicker, high-quality flat tension strap.

While a lot of the exercises are basically variations of squats, jogging in place, and jumping, the visual stimulation DOES promote a healthy pace. Anyone who's already in good shape will find it a little slow, however, but for a raw beginner, and at the highest intensity, it'll require a good effort to push through. Some of the exercises, however, just don't work. Mountain Climbers, for instance, are almost completely unresponsive. Stride jumps sometimes work. Skipping will ... skip some of your jumps. The squat, lunge, and upper body exercises move at a frustratingly slow pace, and for the most part serve as a respite between cardio sets. Overall however, at the end of the workout, if you put forth an honest effort and don't take shortcuts, you'll be left panting and secure in the knowledge that you've done something good for your body. Another small gripe is the calorie counter. It doesn't calculate calories burned based on how good your technique was or if you even completed a full rep, it just goes up by a set number and is very mildly affected by your pulse, which often isn't accurate during fast-moving exercises like jogging or foot fires. It's not a huge problem, but you might end up short-changed for calories burned, especially if you swap out the plastic barbells with some real barbells. You can tell the game how much weight you're lifting, but it doesn't change the calories burned... in fact, it makes no difference at all... so why even bother with the feature?

In closing, I bought my game for $20, bought the strength building kit for $20, and it was a worthwhile investment. I don't have the time to drive out to a gym, none of the equipment has broken despite daily use, and most importantly, I lost 10 pounds during the 9 week challenge without changing my diet. While the game can be a little annoying, if you stick with it, you can reach your goals in the comfort of your own home. One more thing; muting the voices of the trainers is a must.

#20 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#31 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fun, but if you're not obsessed with your heart rate, the original's similar - and cheaper. [Jan 2011, p.78]
  2. Jan 11, 2011
    Despite many new entries into the fitness genre, EA Active remains above its competition. EA Active 2 brings a host of new exercises to the mix, great new motion accessories that are more accurate, a very welcome heart rate monitor and robust online integration. The only drawback I find is that versions on other consoles take better advantage of newer motion technologies.
  3. Jan 4, 2011
    Get active with EA Sports Active 2! Hard workout with some control hick-ups, yet among the Wii fitness games it gets your power and stamina up the fastest. And it's still cheaper than going to the gym.