7.2

1. WilliamT
    Feb 14, 2008
    The fifth video game based on the fifth movie of the fifth book of the magical series has come to the Wii promising magical gameplay with the Wiimote and a huge environment to explore. "Hooray!" exclaim the masses. Those of us who have wisened to the liscence treatment of film and video games will no doubtedly state otherwise. While the game is rather large with a nice Hogwarts world toThe fifth video game based on the fifth movie of the fifth book of the magical series has come to the Wii promising magical gameplay with the Wiimote and a huge environment to explore. "Hooray!" exclaim the masses. Those of us who have wisened to the liscence treatment of film and video games will no doubtedly state otherwise. While the game is rather large with a nice Hogwarts world to explore, there's nothing remotely interesting about it. Sure you can cast spells with the Wiimote, but most of the time it feels like the spellcasting is very random, no matter what you're doing with the controller. The virtual Harry, Ron and Hermione are explicitly detailed but you're laughing bitterly when they open their mouthes and utter a line of totally obvious and incredibly corny dialogue.
    If you're potty for all things Potter then you might consider getting this game, but if I were you, I personally wouldn't be bothered.
  2. CraigA.
    Jul 15, 2007
    As previously mentioned this is a game of two halves. On the one hand the castle is amazing and after watching the latest movie i realised just how accurate the games recreation of Hogwarts really is. However after playing this game all the way through i fealt more like a magical dog than a trainee wizard, all you ever seem to do is follow footprints around the castle and fetch whatever As previously mentioned this is a game of two halves. On the one hand the castle is amazing and after watching the latest movie i realised just how accurate the games recreation of Hogwarts really is. However after playing this game all the way through i fealt more like a magical dog than a trainee wizard, all you ever seem to do is follow footprints around the castle and fetch whatever people have asked for. At one point i was chasing an owl with a package for 5 minutes, all the time thinking 'im supposed to be a wizard - why cant i just magic the package off him?' Overall the game was ok, but could have been a lot better if the tasks were a little more varied. Expand
  3. RobertR.
    Aug 16, 2007
    As a Harry Potter fan, I am disappointed in the Wii's inability and inaccuracy in casting wands, especially attack/defensive ones--I naively found out that no matter what you do, the game doesn't drift that far away from the book.
  4. SezB.
    Aug 28, 2007
    I liked this game but it was over very quickly but i don't think you can put any more in it really. But fun and enjoyable while it lasted.
  5. KaylaF.
    Jan 3, 2008
    Being a Harry Potter fan, I was pleased and disappointed. The characters, the building, most of the dialog, the activity of being able to interact with just about anything, and go just about anywhere, was pleasing. But as for plot, well there was none. The game is just running around do this and that for people. Very very boring. But I guess I can't be too crude, as this was also the Being a Harry Potter fan, I was pleased and disappointed. The characters, the building, most of the dialog, the activity of being able to interact with just about anything, and go just about anywhere, was pleasing. But as for plot, well there was none. The game is just running around do this and that for people. Very very boring. But I guess I can't be too crude, as this was also the worse and most boring book/movie of the series, I suppose then you couldn't have a perfect game. Expand
  6. NathanB.
    Jun 27, 2007
    This game makes me sad. There are aspects of it that are downright awesome. The spell casting is very well done, and the Sandbox style world is incredible- and that is where the good parts of the game end. The in game cut scenes are done poorly. For the first 30 minutes of the game, I thought i was accidentally hitting buttons and skipping the first part of cutscenes, because they are so This game makes me sad. There are aspects of it that are downright awesome. The spell casting is very well done, and the Sandbox style world is incredible- and that is where the good parts of the game end. The in game cut scenes are done poorly. For the first 30 minutes of the game, I thought i was accidentally hitting buttons and skipping the first part of cutscenes, because they are so jumpy when they start. The ingame camera is terrible, and frequently whips arond when you are trying to look at something. The "auto-aim" feature on the wand is frustrating as well, and often jumps away from where you are guiding it to go to a more prominent lock-on point. Let us not forget the ingame menu either. In an attempt to stay with the Harry Potter theme they have used the signature font on all of the menues, etc. However, the text is so small that it is illegible on my screen (32in Picture tube). I can't imagine how people are playing this on a smaller television- considering that a large part of the game is looking at the map, finding a name on it, and then following footsteps until I you get there. All of that aside- i've played the game for just over an hour, and I have to say that it's pretty bland. Mostly errand based tasks- go to this class, go find that person, go get this item. All of which are made simple by using the ingame map. In the end- this is a Movie game. Don't expect too much from it- and you will come out ok. My copy came with 2 tickets to the movie, so i saved 17 dollars! Expand

#29 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007

It is by far the most immersive journey to Hogwarts to date thanks to the realization of a truly enormous, often-beautiful world that is wholly connected without any load times and also thanks to new Wii remote controls that effectively enable you to use Nintendo's controllers as Harry's wand.
    For diehard Potter fans and those who walk away from the movie with stars in their eyes, the game will hold some value, especially in the unlockable videos and interviews with the cast and staff members of the movie and games. However, the rest of you Muggles should definitely stick to the novels and the power of your imagination to get you in a magical state of mind.
    Does the motion control work? Absolutely. Granted, casting spells with the Wii Remote isn't a perfect affair, but the interactive nature easily pushes the Wii version above the others, despite its higher-resolution console brothers.