Metroid: Other M Wii

6.6

1. Feb 25, 2017
    The best Metroid game since Super Metroid. Metroid is a third person platformer, not a first person shooter. Yeah maybe it has some flaws, but a pretty decent good game. Need more Metroid games like this on the Switch!
  2. Jan 21, 2017
    Metroid: Other M Was a game I sincerely enjoyed- but let's start with the rough stuff. Many have criticised the game for it's story, and the failings they perceive in it. Honestly, I also dislike the concept of gameplay being from "cutscene to cutscene", a common trope within the industry that other m falls into quite heavily. However, I didn't hate the cutscenes and did feel like theMetroid: Other M Was a game I sincerely enjoyed- but let's start with the rough stuff. Many have criticised the game for it's story, and the failings they perceive in it. Honestly, I also dislike the concept of gameplay being from "cutscene to cutscene", a common trope within the industry that other m falls into quite heavily. However, I didn't hate the cutscenes and did feel like the atmosphere they created was an appropriately tense, solitary one.
    But that's it. No more complaints. Just the monologuing, that's it.
    The controls are tight, the action is fast, and the difficulty is elevated. After a bit of a warm-up, the controls feel second-nature, even the first-person missile attacks that take place in slow motion. The mechanics reward experience and grant a visceral, exciting experience start to finish. leave out the cutscenes, and you have a medium length campaign that isn't shy to show off it's teeth and bite you right in the balls. The boss fights are varied and challenging, frequently taking multiple tries to finally beat. Is it Nintendo? No. cell-shaded pastel tones are nowhere to be found, the polish on the graphics is good but not the best on the wii, and it is occasionally frustratingly difficult to find your way to the next bit of the level. However, the dark, space-esque feel, the 8-directional controls, the rapid movements and powerful enemies- all combine into a worthy spiritual successor for side-scrolling metroid titles.
    That is perhaps what i love the most: the perspective that puts me right back behind an NES gamepad, leading my intrepid orange-suited hero to victory through black caverns and silent tunnels. The gameplay is unique and wholeheartedly enjoyable, especially for someone who enjoyed the classic metroid titles.
    Is metroid: other m a sequel to the prime series? of course not. if you go in looking for the experience you found in the prime trilogy, you'll be sure to be disappointed. That said, if you go in looking for the feel of a side-scrolling metroidvania title, modernized, then the sadistic difficulty and impossible collectibles will be sure to satisfy that particular itch.
    I would urge anyone who initially put Other M down, to try it again, with a more open mind. I think that this is one of the very best Wii games to have ever been developed, and it deserves a chance to prove it's worth. Of course, it's not for everyone. It is really, truly, hard, and even includes a yet-more difficult setting to repeat the game on after collecting every item once; The cutscenes are long and I blame no one for not being able to take them seriously; but tossing the baby out with the bathwater isn't the solution either. There is a gem here if you look in the right places.

My verdict: Rough around the edges but polished in the most important places, Metroid: other M delivers a tense and challenging gameplay experience I've yet to find elsewhere.
  3. Dec 18, 2016
    This is a straight up bad game. Many blame the story, but this is not the problem.

The biggest problem is that it is a 3D game with 2D controls. You cannot aim your weapon. You cannot press a button to target an enemy. It uses an auto-targeting system. You will generally be faced with 3 or more identical enemies. There's no way for you to decide which enemy to target so you can defeat one at a time and beat them more quickly. They have attacks you must evade, so you find yourself running and jumping away while firing your weapon in the wrong direction, because the auto-targeting system only works when you're facing the enemy. There is an additional way to attack - point the remote at the screen and you enter a first-person view where you can fire your missiles. In this mode, you're still not free to aim. The game will target enemies, objects or power-ups automatically when you are trying to point your weapon at a boss. The auto-target and pointer are completely independent of each other. There's a freeze beam that will glue your enemy to the ground, allowing you to attack it with a missile. Switch to the missile, and you will find yourself facing the opposite direction, forced to turn all the way around to fire at your enemy, who is breaking free of the trap. It's an awful system for a game dependent on speed.

The second biggest problem is the level design. Many times you will be presented with a door that you can't open. This is pretty normal for a Metroid game. Usually, when you encounter a door that's locked, you will find the weapon or method to open it later and an alternate route for you to take right now. This is not the case. You run up against a locked door and there is no other direction for you to go. Generally, you end up finding some roundabout exit within the same room that either opens the door or takes you to the exact same place that the door would take you. Why is the door there?

I found myself in front of one such door when I needed to stop playing the game. On the other side, the game told me, was a save point. No idea why a game made in 2010 still uses save points, but the more severe problem is that the save point followed a boss. Usually you fight a boss, go through a door, and get to save. So instead I had to turn off the game, re-do the boss fight and figure out the puzzle later.

The graphics do not help the design. Switches, holes, and breakable walls look like everything else in the environment. I found myself pointing the remote at the screen just to scan every wall when I was stuck (which was frequently). Finding secret upgrades, like missiles (which give you a whopping two pieces of ammunition) is just not worth the time.

Finding health is non-existent. This harks back to the original Metroid, where the basic goal of the game was "never get hit." Unlike Super Metroid, where every minion gave you a missile or some health, killing enemies does you no benefit and is likely to harm you and stop your progress. I found myself jumping over minor enemies and running away if my health was low. Even big enemies that cause a lot of damage yield no reprieve when defeated, so my health was low very often.

Adding insult to injury was the bizarre suit upgrade process. There are no suit upgrades. You are instead given "permission" to use your variety of lasers and safety mechanisms by your commanding officer. It was especially frustrating when I was told not to enter areas that I wasn't equipped for although that was exactly where I was supposed to go. Entering a volcano-themed area started hurting me immediately, so I backed off, looking for an alternate path. It turns out I was supposed to run through it and suffer until fifteen minutes later I was "permitted" to use the feature on my suit that keeps me from burning to death (which I did, often). This was quickly followed by me facing fiery enemies that required the freeze beam and not being "permitted" to use it. This again points to how poorly the game was designed. I found myself hearing the game over dialogue "Samus, respond!" over and over just getting past one segment or another.

If the game was intended to be frustrating and waste the player's time, then mission accomplished.
  4. Oct 15, 2016
    With this first main episode since the Prime trilogy Nintendo and Team Ninja tried to change a lot of things compared to the games made by Retro Studios, was it good or bad ?

Technically the games is obviously limited by the hardware of the Wii but compared to other titles on the console it's actually pretty good with good animations and a nice variety in environments that you would expect in a Metroid game. I didn't encountered any glitch or framerate issues, like always with Nintendo.

Concerning the gameplay there's a few major changes compared to the Prime series with a third person view with the possibility to aim in first person. You'll moved on 3D environment with some little phases on 2D making this episode feel like a more faithful game compared to the first Metroid (that will qualify an entire genre along with Castlevania), the controls are very responsive and like we're used to with Team Ninja the gameplay is frenetic making the action more enjoyable for the ones that crave for it.
    I understand that some fans wanted a new Prime, but this gameplay is also very good on its own.

The story is way more important than other Nintendo games with a great focus on Samus, the characters all speak (those voiceless characters always bothered me) even if the plot is basic but I welcome the change with open arms. Concerning the length it will last around 12 hours not too short but not long either.

So in conclusion Other M was a new vision on the Metroid series, everyone will prefer one or another depending on their tastes (personally I had more fun with this one than the Prime) but its mechanics all work well together without being astonishing, and I'd advise the game to any Wii owner looking for a nice action game.
  5. Sep 19, 2016
    At a critical point in the story, Samus was shot in the back by a standard freeze pistol. It was at this point that any of her standard appeal of being a powerful, cool, independent, female bounty hunter went down the drain alongside her melted suit.

It seems that whenever Adam Malkovich wants her to strip into the zero suit, he can do so on demand (due to nonsense plot).
  6. Aug 21, 2016
    So this game doesn't only deviate from the proven gameplay formulas of it's predecessors to introduce clunky camera controls and less interactive gameplay mechanics which would've been disappointing in itself. No, it goes the extra step to add insult to injury and characterize the formerly strong, independent female protagonist as a weak, senselessly babbling girl stuck in an abusiveSo this game doesn't only deviate from the proven gameplay formulas of it's predecessors to introduce clunky camera controls and less interactive gameplay mechanics which would've been disappointing in itself. No, it goes the extra step to add insult to injury and characterize the formerly strong, independent female protagonist as a weak, senselessly babbling girl stuck in an abusive relationship with her commanding officer... So in regard to my opinion about this game I can only say this: I truly hate it. Expand
  7. Jul 31, 2016
    Is it the worst Metroid game? Yes.(Of course I am not including Hunters & Pinball) But that is not a bad thing, since every single entry in the franchise is great. The gameplay is good. It could get better, if Nintendo eventually decides to release another Metroid game in ten years. That is mainly why I didn't give it a 10.
    People got surprised that Samus was an "emotional" woman. I
    People got surprised that Samus was an "emotional" woman. I mean... First of all, she's human. Second of all... She rescued a goddamned metroid in Metroid II. People hate on Adam/Samus relationship and how nonsense everything was, but even in Metroid Fusion she obeyed orders from Adam's AI. And she narrated how she respected Adam. The dialogue is not bad. Actually it is as if you read the text like in Super Metroid, the thing is that the voice acting is not great, but it is not bad.
    Personally, I did not dislike the "long" cutscenes, since I am used to them in games like Metal Gear, where you can get cutscenes of an hour and a half... So yeah, 15 minutes... Not a big deal. Samus' backstory is not as nonsensical as some claim, since it is all based on the 2002 manga (which is canon)
    It is the perfect Metroid game for newcomers.
  8. May 11, 2016
    please, just please, just play Metroid Fusion. That's what Other M is based on, and it's better. Combat is horrible and it's FP segments is worser than the Primes'
  9. Mar 23, 2016
    Excellent gameplay, history and graphics.
    In my opinion it is one of the best games ever!
    The cutscenes are great.
    I do not know how many people did not like the game.
  10. Mar 4, 2016
    Metroid Other M is better franchise game I've ever played, the visual design is amazing for a console like the Wii, is beautiful and play in the third person, it proved to be a big bet
  11. Jan 15, 2016
    I won't go go into the story or Samus character as others have already done that in the past, Instead I'll tell you that in terms of gameplay this is a descent action game with some fun although repetitive sequences in it but honestly you be better of just buying the prime trilogy on the nintendo eshop.
  12. Dec 22, 2015
    Graphics: 9/10
    Gameplay: 7/10
    Sound: 7/10
    Fun: 8/10
    Screenplay: 7.5/10
    This isn't the best metroid but is funny to play and i enjoyed the story.
    Final veredict: 8/10
  13. Jul 9, 2015
    I'm not going to write much about the game, because it doesn't deserve it and everything that had to be said was already told, so I just want to emphasize the connotations of Other M's story. To put it bluntly: the idealization of a morbid story like the one described here (a ruthless and cold bastard & a hysterical and submissive teen) is NEVER a healthy thing to promote. And this isI'm not going to write much about the game, because it doesn't deserve it and everything that had to be said was already told, so I just want to emphasize the connotations of Other M's story. To put it bluntly: the idealization of a morbid story like the one described here (a ruthless and cold bastard & a hysterical and submissive teen) is NEVER a healthy thing to promote. And this is exactly what Sakamoto does. I'm glad the sales didn't help this pseudo-Metroid at least. Expand
  14. Apr 28, 2015
    Nowhere near terrible(only massive fanboys would give this less than a 4 IMO) but certainly not very good.

Pluses: -Fun gameplay overall despite a few annoying flunks -Pretty impressive attempts at making big character building and backstories for Samus and some people around her -Lots of different little set pieces, lots of enemy and boss diversity, an overall really nice experience

Pluses:
    -Fun gameplay overall despite a few annoying flunks
    -Lots of different little set pieces, lots of enemy and boss diversity, an overall really nice experience in terms of playing it
    -Literally the best graphics I ever saw on the Wii, Samus especially looks wonderful in this game
    -Good voice acting(wait till the minuses for the details)
    -Different characters than 99% of what we see in videogames

Minuses:
    -Extremely stupid writing decisions concerning how you get the powerups, how you must fight, how you must do anything, which leads to :
    -handholding, both through Samusian monologues fitting a horribly obnoxious Fi from Skyward Sword and through directions by Adam Malkovich and the map system
    -Re-portrayal of samus as a complete and utter cretin, especially with the Varia Suit deactivation when she goes through a fire area because Daddy Adam didn't specify to put it back on(not that it should ever have been off anyway)
    -Linear progression that is directed by Malkovich at all times, making the game as linear as poor Metroid Fusion

-Along with the linearity, the level design is ridiculously non-Metroid. There is almost no exploration whatsoever and no choice in pathways, and although they made some neat set pieces and things that make you go astray, you never truly explore a brand new area
    -Terrible decision for a 3rd person game to make the missiles usable only in 1st person mode
    -An atmosphere that is thankfully better than Fusion, but not by that much, and nowhere near good metroid games like Super or the Primes or Zero Mission
    -While the voice actors for all characters sound great and Samus' voice is especially charming, the voice acting direction is TERRIBLE. Whoever thought that depressed people always speak in the most soul-sucking monotone voice needs to meet his first depression patient. And then needs to be fired. Samus has a great voice, and all they do with the actress is make her speak the slowest, dullest, simplest and most pointless, pseudo-emotional lines I've heard in years. It's a complete shame if this colours this fine actress' voice as bad for Samus, because it really isn't, it's the direction that is wholly to blame.

-Lastly, the amount of ridicule the story can get to is pathetic(and thankfully very laughable).
    -Samus being emotional and breaking down because Ridley is around, Malkovich's suicide, the crappy emotional re-telling by Samus of events that just happened because of this game's handholding policy, the pseudo-drama around Mother Brain...it's all really, really ridiculous.

In pure quality this game earns a 5, but if you can laugh at the terrible story and not take it seriously, the gameplay is overall quite good, the visuals are nice, and it's a fun time. I'm giving it a 7 also because I simply appreciate that Nintendo, a company known for its reticence at crossing bridges *cough*Zelda voice acting*cough* actually greenlighted a game that was filled with story, voice acting and all sorts of creative risks.
  15. Apr 17, 2015
    Metroid Other M is without a doubt my favorite Metroid game. Everything from the story to the gameplay to the graphics to the soundtrack is amazing! The game plays fantastically, and the interesting 2D style works great! I have no doubt that you will be riveted to this game if you pick it up! The story just sucks you in, and is filled with awesome plot twists and mysteries. Contrary toMetroid Other M is without a doubt my favorite Metroid game. Everything from the story to the gameplay to the graphics to the soundtrack is amazing! The game plays fantastically, and the interesting 2D style works great! I have no doubt that you will be riveted to this game if you pick it up! The story just sucks you in, and is filled with awesome plot twists and mysteries. Contrary to what other people say, the biggest mystery is revealed if you simply think for a second. Also, Samus's personality and backstory are explored to such an impressive and revealing degree that I have to applaud Nintendo and Team Ninja. Anyways, I've rambled on long enough. Get this game, and you won't regret it! Expand
  16. Mar 22, 2015
    Metroid Other M is Nintendo's attempt to recreate the Metroid franchise, giving Samus a voice of her own as she goes to investigate a distress signal codenamed babies cry upon a spacestation named the bottleship after the super Metroid. She runs into Adam Malkovich, a CEO she served under before she became a full pledge bounty hunter, first mentioned in Metroid Fusion after the events ofMetroid Other M is Nintendo's attempt to recreate the Metroid franchise, giving Samus a voice of her own as she goes to investigate a distress signal codenamed babies cry upon a spacestation named the bottleship after the super Metroid. She runs into Adam Malkovich, a CEO she served under before she became a full pledge bounty hunter, first mentioned in Metroid Fusion after the events of other M. She quit his command after a failed attempt to retrieve Adams brother. Adam asks for Samus to help, but also asks her to keep her suit features locked until he says so. Expand
  17. Mar 4, 2015
    IF YOU NEED TO PLAY METROID PLAY THE PRIME TRILOGY.
    IF YOU NEED TO PLAY METROID PLAY THE PRIME TRILOGY.
    I thought that the Prime Trilogy set the bar for level design and challenging gameplay so I was excited that there was a new metroid that actually had a story. I bought this game the day it came out, beat it in two days and immediatly took it back and got my money back. I am only writing this review now bc I am annoyed at the tens i am seeing this **** get. Worst iteration of Metroid ever. The gameplay is not as challenging or as fun as the Prime trilogy and I absolutely hated the story and dialogue. As other reviews mention, Samus goes from interstellar badass to a weak and dull little girl. And yes i know its an origin story, it still sucks. I would give it a 4 but if i set aside some fanboy rage i can give it a 6.5 since i did enjoy (few) parts of it.
    Bottom line: As a standalone game its ok, but as a Metroid game I was very dissapointed
  18. Feb 20, 2015
    One of the best games on the Nintendo wii , a must buy for any fans of third person action games. Fantastic graphics , great combat and a classic outer space style story. For those of you who are sick of the mary sue character (to perfect to be true) you will be glad to see this character actually has flaws and emotion. Yet still she kicks butt in combat. All the classic MetroidOne of the best games on the Nintendo wii , a must buy for any fans of third person action games. Fantastic graphics , great combat and a classic outer space style story. For those of you who are sick of the mary sue character (to perfect to be true) you will be glad to see this character actually has flaws and emotion. Yet still she kicks butt in combat. All the classic Metroid weapons are there and like all Metroid games they become usable as you progress to certain points in the game. Oh and the boss fights are top notch. The game is pretty cheap (since the wii is considered last gen) if you are looking for a fun time that won't burn a hole in your wallet then this is the game for you. Oh its easy to pick up and play even for players who have never played Metroid before Expand
  19. Feb 10, 2015
    Turning the main character from a bounty hunter badass to whatever that was deserves a 0/10 worst metroid game so far.

Seems I have to make this 500 characters long...... sure thing. Don't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this

Seems I have to make this 500 characters long...... sure thing.

Don't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this game
  20. Jan 9, 2015
    This game is a good game that has a few flaws, mainly presentation of Samus's character and the voice acting in general feels choppy and poorly put together. The game play is the best part of the game if feels like a Metroid 2D game turned into a 3D game. The first person elements in the game are a bit odd to me but it does bring in the element of Metroid prime of looking around.
  21. Dec 14, 2014
    No entiendo porque tanto odio hacia esta entrega, diciendo que samus parece una chica debil a comparacion de las entregas anteriores.
    pero está historia se enfoca mas en el Manga que el continente americano nunca tuvo el placer de leer.
  22. Dec 9, 2014
    I cannot understand how this game is getting such high ratings. It's exactly what people feared Prime would be, a generic action game. The only reason I think this game is getting high ratings is because it looks similar to Super Metroid, in fact, it borrows most aspects except for the item hunting, and Metroidvania exploration. There are so many restrictions in this game, that are not inI cannot understand how this game is getting such high ratings. It's exactly what people feared Prime would be, a generic action game. The only reason I think this game is getting high ratings is because it looks similar to Super Metroid, in fact, it borrows most aspects except for the item hunting, and Metroidvania exploration. There are so many restrictions in this game, that are not in any of the other Metroid games, not even the linear ones. Many doors lock permanently, and areas become inaccessible. I could go on with the problems with the story, and Samus' character, but I think you get the idea. However; if an action game is what you're looking for, you MIGHT want to consider this, because it's the only reason I still have a copy of the game. Expand
  23. Sep 7, 2014
    tragus35 Hello to all, I'm a Metroid fan, since I played Super Metroid 15 years ago, since then played Gamecube Metroid Prime in 2004, GBA Zero Mission, GBA Metroid Fusion, and recently for a weekend Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. I stopped playing Metroid Prime after spending over a week finally getting the Wave Beam, in the Sheegoth area, and soon after going to a roof-top area and gettingtragus35 Hello to all, I'm a Metroid fan, since I played Super Metroid 15 years ago, since then played Gamecube Metroid Prime in 2004, GBA Zero Mission, GBA Metroid Fusion, and recently for a weekend Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. I stopped playing Metroid Prime after spending over a week finally getting the Wave Beam, in the Sheegoth area, and soon after going to a roof-top area and getting killed by Space Pirates each time. This game Metroid-Other M is my 2nd most Favourite Metroid after Super Metroid. The controls are fine, people forget the 2d shooting controls of Super Metroid, and the sequels, which connect to enemies automatically. It's great to see Samus sans armour at times, and more of her backstory. The space setting is excellent, with outstanding visuals, and many integrated movie elements included.The difficulty level is not unfair, even near the end with Queen Metroid. I've finished the game twice, and will continue to play it, to discover more. To my mind it is a "hidden gem" in the Metroid universe. Expand
  24. Sep 4, 2014
    Metroid Other M is a excelent continuation for the original 2-D saga, expanding many of old mechanics or elements in the games, and giving new life to them.
    Here, the ambientation is almost perfect, with a solid artwork, and a excelent execution, almost any part of this world feels alive, but at the same time, dead.
    The basic elements could be more refined, like the control, some enemi
    The basic elements could be more refined, like the control, some enemi IA or the rhythm of game and story, but I don't feel any of those elements bad, or not enjoyable, it's just that the game doesn't reach the level of quality this game promises.

The plot itself is excelent, but the narrative of the game is really horrible, I was bored viewing half of the cutscenes. But, the story itself is way better that what I thought.

The only "real" problem I have with the game is the music.
    Only some of the pieces of music of this game are melodic, most of them are just ambiental with indistinguishable sounds, whitch is pretty forgetable.

The details is what makes this game good.
  25. Aug 31, 2014
    Making Metroid heavily story-based was the first mistake, using a D-pad instead of an analog stick for movement in a 3D environment was the second, and mistakes 3 through 75 involve turning one of gaming's toughest female icons into a shrieking mimsy in a submissive relationship with a dickbag in a fancy hat.
  26. Aug 24, 2014
    Metroid: Other M is a flawed game that delivers in many ways but falters in other aspects.
    The controls and the switching to first and third perspective will take a few seconds to get used to because of how jarring it can be in the beginning but once the player gets a feel for it as understands how the combat flows the experience becomes very fluid. Dodging works well and is quite forgiving to allow for some leeway if the player is charged during first person mood to compensate for the loss in motion. The auto-targeting allows for third person to be painless and a cinematic with flashy finishers.

Story wise the game attempts to create a bridge in the Metroid timeline and also tries to create a definitive character for Samus Aran. The writer's success depends on how willing the player is in accepting certain changes presented as fact within Metroid: Other M. For some long-time fans, it might seem jarring and undesirable change. But to some fans and newcomers to the series, Metroid: Other M's motion towards creating a specific characterization for Samus allows for new ideas to be brought into the series and acts as a nice jumping point.

Other M has plenty of rough edges but on its own merits, this game is fun and an interesting look on a normally blank protagonist.
  27. Aug 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metroid: Other M in my opinion is an underrated game. It gets a lot of hate, and, a lot of it is admittedly justified, but a lot of criticisms I hear about it can be worked around.

Gameplay:
    Pros: I find the game style is generally pretty enjoyable. I love the fast paced 3rd person shooting action gameplay. I find it fun and addicting. I found using the sideways WiiMote worked fairly well for the most part. Even though auto aim is not usually part of the Metroid series, I find it fits in this game. I love the added combat features such as jumping on an enemy's back and firing a powerful beam into them. Morph ball was good, but hasn't changed much from previous Metroid games. And even though a lot of people didn't like this particular feature due to it being overpowered, I love Samus's dodge move. It makes the game more exciting and adds a different dimension to the gameplay.

Cons: When going into first person view, you can't move, you can only look around. Meaning when you're in the middle of a heated boss fight and you HAVE to use missiles, you CANNOT avoid their attacks which by the way, are extremely fast in a lot of instances. Grrrr. Also, they almost entirely took out the scan visor. You can only scan things that you need to destroy, and all it will do is tell you what weapon you need to destroy it. Also, you can scan other humans and it will tell you their name. You can't learn that much about your surroundings.

Weapons:
    Pros: They're all awesome to use. Stacking the weapon upgrades makes it easier with the limited controls so that you don't have to constantly switch between beams to get your objective done.

Cons: Adam Malcovich.

Story:
    Pros: This game is very story driven. A large portion of the Metroid fanbase do not like this aspect, but I love it. It gives me motivation to continue playing because I want to see what happens next. Stories interest me, I just enjoy it. Scanning a bunch of lore in the Prime games to discover hidden stories was cool, but sometimes I get lazy and don't feel like having my scan visor on at all times, so having the story explain itself without having to scan 100% of the game is good, at least for gamers like me. I thought the scene with Samus suffering from PTSD when she meets Ridley wasn't all that bad though. Despite defeating Ridley several times, she was under a lot of emotional stress after the death of the baby, and she knew for a FACT that Ridley had previously been eradicated for good, so it's not surprising to me that she was stunned by him being back from the dead (even though he was cloned).

Cons: Voice acting is not the worst, but at the same time not nearly as good as I think it could have been done. Samus's voice actor felt pretty dull in quite a few scenes. I love the idea of giving her a voice so that she's not this silent protagonist that has no personality while being robotic, but her voice actor didn't do the greatest job with bringing out her emotions. However, I don't think Samus was whiny like a lot of people say she was.

Environment:
    Pros: I like the idea of a ship with artificial environments made to suit specific lifeforms. The eerie feel of a giant space station with computers running everywhere and signs of previous human life that's completely deserted just awesome.

Cons: There's only 3 main elemental areas and a lot of the spaces in them look empty and bland, like the snowy areas.

I found the graphics mostly looked really nice, especially for a Nintendo Wii game.

All pros and cons said, I give this game an 8 out of 10. I really enjoyed playing and replaying this game, and playing the game re-sparked my love for the Metroid series and I am now working on collecting every game in the franchise.
  28. Aug 7, 2014
    Team Ninja will be forever known as the womanizing jerks that ruined Metroid.

The controls are bad. You have to navigate an entirely 3D world with just a dpad. To shoot missiles, you have to point the controller at the screen. So when you go into first person missile mode, you can't move, resulting in several frustrating deaths. The story is utter vomit, and the voice acting is even
    Team Ninja will be forever known as the womanizing jerks that ruined Metroid.

The story is utter vomit, and the voice acting is even worst. Samus is a strong, independent female character. In Other M, she is a whiny **** that has to be surrounded by men in case she gets too emotional.

Do not buy Other M. Don't even rent it. It is an insult to the Metroid series and the gaming community as a whole.
  29. Aug 5, 2014
    Unlike other metroid games. Was not a fan. The game was a lot of running around, not much exploring to do, and the 3rd person view really took me away from my favorite game series' style.
  30. Jul 10, 2014
    An absolute spit in the face to what Metroid is.
    You can look anywhere on the internet to find out why the story is bad and how it fails on nearly every narrative level, but there are way too many apologists saying that "the gameplay is good though."
    Is it? For a generic action title yes, for a Metroid title? No. Aside from the d-pad & simplistic setup being bad for a 3D game, this game
    An absolute spit in the face to what Metroid is.
    Is it? For a generic action title yes, for a Metroid title? No.
    Aside from the d-pad & simplistic setup being bad for a 3D game, this game is just not Metroid.
    Metroid is about exploration, isolation, discovery & puzzles.
    Most of the puzzles boil down to looking around for something in first person view, which isn't really a puzzle.
    Isolation? You're on a ship with other generic 1 dimensional characters, not to mention you're always in contact with Adam, who also doesn't get any meaningful character development despite his history with Samus.
    Exploration & discovery? Sorry none of that here. The map literally shows you where in the room items are, and always has a yellow marker showing you exactly where to go. Doors will lock all the time for the sake of the plot & to hand hold you to your next destination. Yup, this thing is 10x more linear than Fusion.

Aside from the diffusion beam, nothing in this game is new. The setting is a smaller version of Fusion's BSL, and the plot is way too similar as well, except they added more characters & a filed attempt at an emotional narrative that's filled with plot holes. This game chugs along on nostalgia, drawing heavily on concepts from fusion & artwork & design from Super Metroid, just not the best of it.
    Fair enough if you like the game, but DO NOT say it's a good METROID game.
  31. Jul 7, 2014
    This game falls flat on its face in every aspect: The gameplay is shallow, boring and repetitive. The story completely degrades Samus as a character, contradicts previous games, just DROPS certain plotlines before they're even finished, and for the most part, it's just a rehash of Metroid fusion. The art style is weird and shiny, and does not fit the eerie atmosphere of Metroid. The sameThis game falls flat on its face in every aspect: The gameplay is shallow, boring and repetitive. The story completely degrades Samus as a character, contradicts previous games, just DROPS certain plotlines before they're even finished, and for the most part, it's just a rehash of Metroid fusion. The art style is weird and shiny, and does not fit the eerie atmosphere of Metroid. The same goes for the music, which just consists of cheesy action movie scores and some remixes. ALL the bosses and enemies are recycled, which may wet the pants of some fanboys, but I really couldn't appreciate the lack of creativity. Luckily, according to Nintendo, the next 3D Metroid will be Prime style, so that's a huge bloody relief. I REALLY don't get how ANYONE can like this game, ESPECIALLY not the fans of Super Metroid, since this game takes away any and all exploration in favour of cheesy finishers and constant flashes of Samus' bum. This is not just a bad Metroid game, it's a bad game overall, and I would recommend this game to absolutely nobody. Also, check out TheGamingBrit's review of this game, because he does a way better job at dissecting this pile of feces than I do. Expand
  32. May 24, 2014
    That this game received negative reviews is proof positive that people believe having a contrary opinion makes them more interesting. The story line is amazing, much more than what I expected from a Metroid title and the gameplay is addictive. I usually don't like motion controlled games at all but switching between fps mode and 2.5d is done really well. The boss fights are amazing asThat this game received negative reviews is proof positive that people believe having a contrary opinion makes them more interesting. The story line is amazing, much more than what I expected from a Metroid title and the gameplay is addictive. I usually don't like motion controlled games at all but switching between fps mode and 2.5d is done really well. The boss fights are amazing as well. I haven't had this much fun since I played Super Metroid way back in the day! Expand
  33. May 15, 2014
    It's no Prime, but it's a lot better than people give it credit for. Honestly though, the game deserves praise for being a huge risk. It plays like literally no other game ever made. So it's not going to be for everyone. It has some things that genuinely don't make any sense and simultaneously throw away years of Metroid tradition (you get upgrades because a commanding officer "authorizes"It's no Prime, but it's a lot better than people give it credit for. Honestly though, the game deserves praise for being a huge risk. It plays like literally no other game ever made. So it's not going to be for everyone. It has some things that genuinely don't make any sense and simultaneously throw away years of Metroid tradition (you get upgrades because a commanding officer "authorizes" them? That doesn't make any sense. And it's super lame) but ultimately the game is at least good. Sure the story is a little befuddling, and it's not as good as any of the main prime games (in fact it's probably the weakest metroid since hunters) but it still has it's merits. Expand
  34. May 8, 2014
    This game is a huge disappointment. It had bland characters, the script was thinner than paper, the characters are very unlikable, and worst of all the combat mechanics are incredibly unfair.
  35. Apr 21, 2014
    its neat to learn samus' back story, but it is not interesting enough to feel relevant or necessary, which is a large focus of the game, I prefer the isolated feeling of prior Metroid games, that was a key element that they took out of this one. Switching between 1st and 3rd person doesn't feel gimmicky, but does feel unnecessary. the game play is a highpoint though and many of the enemiesits neat to learn samus' back story, but it is not interesting enough to feel relevant or necessary, which is a large focus of the game, I prefer the isolated feeling of prior Metroid games, that was a key element that they took out of this one. Switching between 1st and 3rd person doesn't feel gimmicky, but does feel unnecessary. the game play is a highpoint though and many of the enemies are fun to fight, but they should have just stuck with the first person view of the Metroid prime games. Expand
  36. Apr 10, 2014
    ( So you know I'm reviewing this as a Metroid game and nothing else. On it's own merits it deserves a higher score.)

Other M is the worst thing that has ever happened to the Metroid franchise! Metroid is mainly an adventure game about getting lost in cool, beautiful and interesting alien worlds. Not only is that part of the game pretty much nonexistent since the game is so incredibly

Other M is the worst thing that has ever happened to the Metroid franchise!
    Metroid is mainly an adventure game about getting lost in cool, beautiful and interesting alien worlds. Not only is that part of the game pretty much nonexistent since the game is so incredibly linear with no exploration. Graphically this game is actually fairly impressive but the world itself is incredibly bland and boring and the art design can't even be compared to Metroid Prime. Action has always been part of Metroid and a very fun part but it was never what the series was about. You shot the enemies because they got in the way of your exploring not because it's a shooter and you need to kill everything you see. Other M isn't necessarily a shooter but the game about the combat so it's not part of the game like it used to in a very bad way and the action itself doesn't even feel like Metroid action.

The story is terrible and makes no sense in the timeline or on it's own. They also tries to tell this story by trying to be a movie which is the worst way you could possibly tell a story in a Metroid game. The character Samus has always been a mystery which is the biggest reason she is so interesting but with the Prime games we still got a pretty good idea who she is and who she is is an experienced, in control and badass bounty hunter who is feared by the space pirates and respected by everyone on her side. In other m she is pretty much the exact opposite which wouldn't be such a big problem if it actually made sense why she became such an emotional mess all of the sudden. The only place I could see other m's Samus work is in a Metroid game that takes place before she became a bounty hunter.

"Metroid" Other M couldn't be more terrible as a Metroid game. No exploration or adventure which is 2/3 of what Metroid is. The action is here but not in a Metroid fashion. The story is a completely garbage and not engaging at all because it doesn't make any sense. Ironically the game tries to be nostalgic which wouldn't be a bad thing if it was done in small doses in an actual Metroid game but that's not the case here.

So overall it's a complete mess and I hope we don't ever get a Metroid game like this again.
  37. Apr 6, 2014
    Metroid: Other M

This game is an absolute failure on all levels and a major insult to any fan who is able to look at this game without being blinded by nostalgia. This game fails on almost every level in terms of gameplay presentation and story. Gameplay Metroid Other M is a complete bastardization of the Metroid-vania sub-genre that the series previous to this game have
    Metroid: Other M

Gameplay

Metroid Other M is a complete bastardization of the Metroid-vania sub-genre that the series previous to this game have established. The game is as linear as games come to the point of being nothing but a shooting gallery rather than an exploration game, in fact there is no exploration of any kind to be found here, no secrets, no backtracking, just a generic overly-simplified combat system strung along linear corridors with doors that lock behind you and a map constantly pointing to the objective as if it was actually possible to get lost. Combat has no depth to it, simply point and shoot until everything in the room is dead. The dodging and Regeneration mechanics also remove any challenge due to how easy they are to use. Pair this with the poorly implemented Wii-mote controls and you hardly have any worthwhile game play.

Story

The story is one of the worst in any game I have ever seen. The game's awfully generic and uninspired story constant contradicts established lore and all characters save for one have terrible motives and personalities. Nowhere is this more apparent than with the main character; Samus Aran who has such a stark and uncanny personality change in comparison to other games that to many including myself it comes of as insulting and to some even sexist. Samus in this game seems to have no common sense, an irrational fear of one particular enemy which makes no scene in the continuity, and an unnatural attachment to the another major character, her for,er commanding officer who she holds in high regard who dispute his cold indifference or even malice behavior toward her. This apparent and quite disturbing infatuation goes so far that it clouds Samus's judgment to the point that she needlessly risks her life to follow his orders. This is made all the more worse since the game is entirely form her point of view, and most of the story is delivered through her bland expository monologues in completely unskippable cut-scenes. The game's terrible writing ends in a terrible ending with no payoff and leaves the series as a whole with a huge number of irreparable plot-holes and a tarnished Main Protagonist. More care should have been taken portraying Samus Aran, who was, until one of the most respected female icons in gaming. To tarnish such an iconic character as Samus by making her a 2 dimensional submissive housewife with Stockholm syndrome without at least making something profound or at least likable out of it is outright shameful and possibly unforgivable for many fans and gamers.

Presentation

As for the rest of this game, the graphics for the most part are tolerable. The Writing and dialogue however are exceptionally bad, barely any care was taken into the localisation of this game. The voice acting was almost all bad, particularly from Samus's voice actor Jessica Martin who was instructed by the game's director Yoshio Sakamoto to talk in a bland monotone. The music and environments are also horribly generic and uninspired which is a shame when compared to every other Metroid game before it. In fact the setting is ripped right out of Metroid Fusion but with less environments. At points the environments actual make no scene, such as a real Active volcano inside of a space station that is supposed to be filled with synthetic environments. All of these things break immersion on a huge scale removing any player investment and any amount of fun which is unforgivable is a series that always put immersion and atmosphere at the forefront of the design.

Conclusion

In short this is not a game worth buying, especially if you are a Metroid Fan. Yoshio Sakamoto and Team Ninja's attempt to give Samus Aran personality has left the both Metroid series and it's protagonist in shambles that it may never recover from due to the low sales. This game is a disappointment to say the least and in my honest opinion, an insult and a crippling to a once great franchise. It makes no sense that this game has received such high scores from professional critics. It would seem that none of them actually gave this game a fair shake either blinded by nostalgia or they failed considered it's lack of merits vs it's stellar line of predecessors. In the years since this game's disastrous release Nintendo has all but ignored the Metroid IP all together, which would suggest that this game has killed the franchise, and to see such an Iconic series with an even more iconic Protagonist die in such as disappointing whimper is quite disheartening.
  38. Mar 16, 2014
    Whether being compared to other Metroid games, or on it's own merits, Metroid: Other M has an extensive amount of failures. The biggest of which is using only the Wii remote as it's main control scheme. This not only leads to clunky controls, but shallow action and unnecessary ways to use items as well. You hold the Wii remote sideways, meaning you must control Samus with the D-Pad, whichWhether being compared to other Metroid games, or on it's own merits, Metroid: Other M has an extensive amount of failures. The biggest of which is using only the Wii remote as it's main control scheme. This not only leads to clunky controls, but shallow action and unnecessary ways to use items as well. You hold the Wii remote sideways, meaning you must control Samus with the D-Pad, which makes the combat incredibly clunky to use. Firing missiles, super missiles, and the grapple beam are all done when in the first person perspective, which requires you to turn the Wii remote and point it at the screen, which will slow down the action considerably. Not only that, but the controls for these segments are terrible, and it really shows when you play a game that does wii-mote pointing right, such as Metroid Prime 3. The combat in the game, while fun at times, has almost no depth and is extremely repetitive. You are limited to only one beam at a time, and even when they do switch, they all handle the same, unlike in other games like the Metroid Prime series. This means you are simply shooting over and over until you get a chance to do a finisher. It feels like a watered down version of Ninja Gaiden that was meant for smartphones. I won't go in-depth with the story, as it won't matter that much since the game is about gameplay, but I will say that it seems like they ripped out the same kind of acting from awful films like The Last Airbender and Twilight and copy-pasted them into this game. This is an even bigger problem because the game constantly shoves unskippable cutscenes in your face that are filled with monotone dialogue from Samus, which completely shoves the immersion that made the other Metroid games so great out of the window. Expand
  39. Mar 9, 2014
    While the gameplay might not be too offensive (emphasis on 'too'), the story is so, so, SO INTENSELY AWFUL that it is literally impossible to ignore. Literally, it even messes with the gameplay to the point of being groan-worthy.
  40. Feb 23, 2014
    Why Other M is secretly a good game.

Why Other M is secretly a good game.

I fell in love with Metroid and Samus with the original Metroid for the NES and have remained a faithful fan since. I was skeptical when Metroid went FPS with Prime, but when I played it, I thought the perspective was better than the side scroller! Since then, I LOVED FPS Metroid, and played all the Primes religiously, only going back to the sidescrollers for nostalgic reasons. Also, with the exception of Hunters and Corruption, Samus has been pretty much alone. So when Other M reverted back to sidescrolling with FPS elements, also including narration and cutscenes, I was skeptical. This was the moment where Samus will finally reveal her personality, to see what kind of person Samus really was. The results were, to say, disappointing...

...to everyone but me, it seems. For one, I LOVED Samus' personality. It showed that while she was strong and confident, she was still a woman. She was powerful, yet feminine, and I liked it. I also feel like the only one who truly understood the relationship between Adam and Samus. Everyone seemed to think she was seeking approval from an authoritative man. Being a military guy myself, I saw it as, while he WAS a father-figure to her, raising her as a child after the Chozo, he was also her commanding officer. When you have an officer who actually cares for their soldiers, you tend to have great respect for them. A truly great leader earns the respect and confidence of their soldiers, so much so that they would do anything for that officer, including taking a bullet. This is how Samus saw Adam; a great leader whom she would do anything for. The defiant act of disagreeing with everything he said was at first an act of defiance when she was young. However, that act because a symbol of their bond as the years went on. To Samus, Adam was a father, a leader, and a friend. So when Adam requested she not use certain aspects of her suit during missions, she begrudgingly agreed. Now, this could have been executed better, and for that, I'm docking points, but it was meant to show their relationship and Samus' immense respect for the man.

The voice acting was decent. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't horrible. The gameplay was also pretty good, though it was a bit stiff. Other than that, it felt like a classic Metroid game.

While Other M was not Game-of-the-Year worthy, it is still a solid game with a great story and fun gameplay. Definitely worth picking up.
  41. Feb 8, 2014
    This is definitely a great action game, and a very good Metroid game too. Do not listen to all the whiners, they are all wrong! If anyone gives this game a score below a 7, they're just trolling and not worth reading the review.

Anyone playing this game can see Nintendo put a lot of effort into it. A little minus is that it might be a bit story-heavy at times, and you can't skip the cut-scenes.
    But if you like action games you'll love this one. I wasn't even into the Metroid-series before playing this, so this is for everyone.
  42. Feb 3, 2014
    The worst Nintendo game I have ever purchased. This is an absolute stain on the Metroid franchise. In fact, I'd rather Nintendo just retire Samus than try again if THIS abomination is their idea of a Metroid game.

There is no sense of exploration, no sense of being alone versus the environment, no satisfaction of finding upgrades. All that remains is bad cutscenes that make Samus out to be an emotional teenager.
  43. Jan 4, 2014
    I was as excited as any other Metroid fan for Other M. The reveal was exciting and I preordered the game as soon as it became available.

Then... I played it. Long story short, play it for the gameplay. Do NOT play it for the story. That part is awful. More details below. STORY Let me start by saying I had no issue with the idea of Samus speaking. I also was extremely excited to

Then... I played it.

STORY
    Let me start by saying I had no issue with the idea of Samus speaking. I also was extremely excited to get to know the woman behind the visor and see a bit more of her emotional side.
    That out of the way, the story is the main reason why I don't like Other M. To avoid spoilers I won't go into details about the exact parts of the story are so bad, but if you want to read, what is in my opinion, the greatest review of Other M's story on the net, then visit:
    The article explains why the story is written poorly by giving examples of the tropes and story no-nos used and explains how the infamous Ridley scene is damaging to Samus' character in ways you may not have thought of.
    From what I've seen, most people who are fans of the series and enjoy this game's story are defending it because they believe an attack on this game is an attack on the franchise. If this is you, please read the link I posted above.

GAMEPLAY
    As far as gameplay goes, the third person isn't terrible. The dodge jump move was visually powerful and a nice change to just running around, but it definitely took challenge away from the adventure once you mastered it. The first person sequences were bad. Having to flip between 3rd and 1st person was disorienting and left me scrambling to fire a missile where it needed to go. The search-and-find sequences were particularly awful. They were unnecessary and had you looking for some obscure object in the environment.

LEVEL DESIGN
    A bit linear compared to the other games in the series, but it's something I was able to take as is.

MUSIC
    Awful. Uninteresting, unmemorable... Not what I expect out of a Metroid game given that every other title in the series has fan favorites that they enjoy listening to and possibly remixing. There will be no fan remixes of this game.

GRAPHICS
    Very good. The cutscenes were gorgeous and the in-game engine was visually pretty.
  44. Nov 27, 2013
    While the story is, for all intents and purposes, convoluted and gives Samus some rather questionable characterization, the gameplay itself is everything I hoped a 3D Metroid would play. Sure the Prime trilogy's style of play is virtually flawless, but it's nice to see how a Super Metroid today would be like.

As a follow up, I can't help but feel this story would have made a lot more

As a follow up, I can't help but feel this story would have made a lot more sense if Samus was portrayed as she was in her training days. Not as a seasoned veteran. Tomb Raider 2013 got that part right.
  45. Nov 21, 2013
    This game is abysmal. Literally the worst story of any video game I've ever played, almost no music, and absolutely horrid gameplay all combine to make a giant turd of a game. Avoid avoid avoid. Horrible.
  46. Nov 12, 2013
    This is not what Metroid is about... It's a shame that the series has gone downhill and a lot is due to the lack of demand with the Metroid franchise. There's no more exploration, even less than Metroid Fusion. This isn't a bad game, it just shouldn't have the Metroid logo slapped onto it. Mediocre story, poor controls, and lack of Metroid feel makes this a poor experience, especially forThis is not what Metroid is about... It's a shame that the series has gone downhill and a lot is due to the lack of demand with the Metroid franchise. There's no more exploration, even less than Metroid Fusion. This isn't a bad game, it just shouldn't have the Metroid logo slapped onto it. Mediocre story, poor controls, and lack of Metroid feel makes this a poor experience, especially for those fond of the series. Expand
  47. Nov 9, 2013
    This is the only Metroid game I've fully played and I had a lot of fun.

Metroid: Other M picks up after Super Metroid where Samus is flying through space, mourning over the loss of her little metroid baby, when she hears a distress call. Being a hero, she flies down to the source to help out a few surviving soldiers who have found themselves trapped in this deathtrap. The gameplay is
    This is the only Metroid game I've fully played and I had a lot of fun.

The gameplay is very enjoyable. It's third person unlike the Prime games, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't trying to follow those at all. While you play through the game, like the original Metroid games, you'll be finding armor upgrades and fighting creatures with your blaster. What adds to the fun are little finisher moves against each creature, where you can jump from one to the other, blasting their heads off. You can even dodge roll and evade attacks, which adds to the smooth fighting mechanics. This also aids the quality of the boss fights who were all memorable in their own way. It's all very fluid in third person, and you can switch to first person by pointing the wii remote at the screen. This gives you the ability to fire missiles, locate certain points of interest, and other cool things. However, when you're in first person, you're very vulnerable as you don't have the ability to move. And if something's charging you while you're in first person, there's a lag time between switching so you won't get out of the way in time. It's not like you could just stay in third person the whole time; you'll be forced into first person on occasion, (at the very beginning of the game, I was forced into it and it took me a good 45 minutes and a tutorial to tell me what i was supposed to be looking at) but there are times where this first person event will add to the fun of boss fights. Something else to note, in order to interact with anything, all you have to do is stand next to it. The gameplay is very fun and worth coming back to.

The environment and atmosphere of the game is very eerie. You'll be alone most of the time running through dark areas with nothing but the sound of your footsteps and the creatures ruffling around to keep you company. It's this lonely feeling that somewhat pushes me, personally, away from playing the game again. The soundtrack doesn't help at all as it's very dark and has the feel of "you're screwed." It's not for me, but I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for. If eerie is your speed, this is a good game for you.

The story consists of a whole lot of narration that makes Samus sound like a whiney baby. She's too serious the entire time, like a girl spouting a monologue as an audition for a play. It's emotionless and frankly it gets ridiculous at times. While I enjoy a good story, which this game didn't really have, the cutscenes were excessive and too long in my opinion. I swear I was watching a movie at the end of the game.

In the end, I did like playing this game when I did. Now that I finished it, I don't really feel like going back to it. However, despite its big story flaws, Metroid Other M is a game worth playing, if only for gameplay which is wonderful and enough to make up for what this game lacks. If you're looking for a really good strong story, you won't find it here, but I'm glad I played this game.
  48. Oct 8, 2013
    This is essentially a Metroid movie with a few hours of fun gameplay along the way.

It has the best cinemas of any Metroid game. Beyond that, I found it lacking compared to the rest of the series, which is admittedly a very high benchmark. Gameplay is fun, and the story explains a lot of unknowns in the series. This is definitely the easiest Metroid game so far. My biggest problem

My biggest problem with this game is that it had no replay value. I got 100% completion on my first time through the game (without any guides) in 8 hours, most of which was spent watching cinemas. After that, there was nothing left to do.
  49. Aug 4, 2013
    [Control]
    The sideways controls are simple and easy to use. Holding the controller I didn't feel uncomfortable at all (and I have rather large hands), and switching from third to first person was a cinch. It was easy for me to turn the controller, lock on, fire, and turn back with no hassle. Perhaps it would have been better to add some control options, but I wasn't bothered in the least.
    [Control]

[Graphic]
    A beautiful game with a smooth feel. Samus looks great and moves fluidly throughout the game.

[Sound]
    About what you'd expect from a Metroid game. Atmospheric, almost quiet. Just enough to spook you at the right moments and let you feel like you are actually in a serious battle during the bosses.

[Continuity]
    The game has some replayability, given that it's not too long and there is an extra mode if you can get a high enough percentage. I would like to note that after you reach a certain part in the game everything is closed off to you so you would need to start a new game to replay or find any missed powerups.

[Story]
    This was a great story. I love that they finally showed who Samus is and what she thinks about under certain circumstances. Unlike many others, I also listened. There is much to the story, and though it does require you to know about some of the Metroid history yourself, it does well within it's own confines. There is one scene especially where I shed a tear (it takes a huge buildup to make me cry, so a tear is just as good).

[Satisfaction]
    I love the direction the series took with this game and hope to see more games in this style. This is my favorite entry in the series!

Also, I really wish people weren't just voting 0 to try to hurt the game
  50. Aug 1, 2013
    Combat is shallow, "cinematic" scenes of just holding forward on the control stick kill the pacing, controls are awkward thanks to the exclusion of the nunchuck, level design is linear, the cutscenes are unskippable first playthrough, dialogue is painfully bad... I'm really not sure what there is to like about this game. I suppose you might like it if you don't enjoy Metroid games, becauseCombat is shallow, "cinematic" scenes of just holding forward on the control stick kill the pacing, controls are awkward thanks to the exclusion of the nunchuck, level design is linear, the cutscenes are unskippable first playthrough, dialogue is painfully bad... I'm really not sure what there is to like about this game. I suppose you might like it if you don't enjoy Metroid games, because it's a terrible Metroid game, and I supposed you might like it if you don't enjoy action games, because it's a terrible action game.

I'm just disappointed a game like this came from the director who brought us Super Metroid. Super Metroid was fantastic because it didn't boss you around or hold your hand or shove fifteen minute long cutscenes in your face. You just had a big world and were free to explore it to find fun new powerups and boss fights. Where did that same sense of discovery go? There aren't any new interesting power-ups or bosses in Other M; it's just content to reuse series staples as if that gives it more nerd cred or something. It's not like there is much exploration either; level design is linear and many times doors will lock behind you to stop you from backtracking with new power-ups.

Even without comparing it to other Metroid games, Other M still fails. Its combat is laughably shallow. In 3rd person view, you just charge and shoot. Aiming is automatic. Whenever you see an attack, you mash the D-pad so Samus can do her invincible dodge move. It doesn't matter which direction you dodge, you're invincible for the whole animation. Sometimes, the game will have you move to first-person to shoot powerful missiles, but the controls are clunky and you're unable to move, making first-person aiming a chore. Then there are the quick-time events. It seems like every awful action game these days has them, and Other M's are pretty bad. They're incredibly showy execution scenes, but they make the player feel inadequate. It's not the player doing these actions; all the player is doing is pressing the D-pad once. There is about as much connection between the player's controls and the actions on screen as there are watching a Transformers movie. About the only neat thing in combat is the overblast, an attack you can use on some enemies by jumping on them with a charged shot. It feels much more natural and I'd like to see it return in future Metroid games.

So many games this past generation have lost their expansive worlds, forcing you down hallways from cinematic set piece to cut scene to cinematic set piece. They have lost their interesting and unique gameplay, becoming a homogenous mass of quick-time events and auto-aim. They feel more like amusement park rides than games; you're not there to play, you're there to watch. Other M is not some ambitious, misunderstood work of fiction; it's just another stupid modern game with all of the worst things about stupid modern games.

If you want a fun action game, go play Devil May Cry 3 or the Xbox Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta or virtually anything else. If you want a fun Metroid game, go play Metroid Prime or Super Metroid or Metroid Zero Mission. Just skip Other M. It doesn't deserve your time.
  51. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I get into the enormous can of worms that is this game's issues, let me talk about the positive aspects. The graphics generally look nice, a lot better than most Wii titles, and the action is suitably bombastic when intended. The finisher moves you get are satisfying as well as very cool and flashy.

Unfortunately, that's all I can say in this game's favor. While it is true that when the action is happening it's generally fun to watch, it's not very fun to play thanks to a frightening lack of variety in terms of both enemies and what Samus herself is able to do, and the fact that you have a dodge-roll technique called the "Sensemove" which utterly breaks the combat. It gives you a ludicrous amount of invincibility frames, nothing works against it, and if you're charging your beam while you do it it completely fills the charge. Beyond that, lulls in the action, rather than serving pacing like they would in a game such as Devil May Cry or Half-Life, instead just feel boring. Often they simply have you running from place to place, and when they don't feel that's putting you to sleep enough they go to an over-the-shoulder view and make you walk slowly with incredibly unintuitive controls. Even less intuitive than the rest of the game, which is pretty unintuitive, as the rest of the game asks you to navigate three dimensional environments at high speeds with a d-pad, relying on finnicky auto-aim to in order to hit enemies. The over-the-shoulder segments aren't even the worst flow-killer though. At times the game forces you into first-person mode and makes you look for a piece of scenery to scan in order to advance the plot. This was a good idea when Arkham Asylum did it because Batman is after all the world's greatest detective, and because that game handled it well, making it clear what you're looking for and still allowing you to move around the area. In Other M you are forced to remain still, searching for what is often a small innocuous-looking piece of scenery at best. Worse examples include scanning for the exit in the chamber where you fight Ridley, which is such a dark area when you're scanning it that you can barely see the exit, and finding Madeline standing in a window, so far away and with so much glare coming off said window that I, an avid gamer with 20/20 vision, was simply not able to see her. I went back and played the segment again, knowing where she was, and still couldn't to see her. Coming back to Ridley, this is kind of a sticking point: Samus should not have freaked out when she saw Ridley. I'm not saying they've tainted her badass persona or anything, and had it been handled differently I would have loved it. But there's no excuse for her to panic upon seeing the enemy that she has been established to have defeated around six times by this point according to series canon (yes, the adjusted canon that came with dropping the Prime games.) Beyond that, the way they brought Ridley in just didn't help the story at all. Apparently the Federation cloned him, as well as most of the other monsters in the game, despite the fact that they've watched the Space Pirates royally screw themselves by doing that many times in the past. Of course, the reason for this is that Nintendo and Team Ninja wanted to cram as many references to older games in as possible, hence the inclusion of the Metroid Queen, Nightmare, Phantoom, et cetera. It feels very much like fan pandering, as if the game is afraid to have its own identity and instead wants to cash in on nostalgia, which makes its decision to completely kick Metroidvania-style exploration in the head even stranger, and that was already a baffling choice considering that the Metroid series contributed the first half of the genre's name. Of course, you do still gain abilities over time, you just don't explore and look for them. Instead you have most of them from the start, but you're not allowed to use them until Adam Malkovich allows you to, in the poorest excuse for ability loss this series has ever had, which is saying something considering that even some of the best games in the series have had pretty weak excuses. This leads to a downright painful situation in which you move through the lava world, which does continuous damage due to the hot atmosphere, without protection because Malkovich didn't authorize it. Speaking of Malkovich, his death was incredibly flimsy. He locks himself in a section of the ship and jettisons it, blowing it up, because apparently nobody thought maybe you should make the function accessible from another part of the ship. There's also a baffling moment when you need to use power bombs to kill the Metroid Queen, but the game never says or even implies that you can use them. The final boss, right afterward, is even worse, as you don't even get to fight it. Instead you just lock onto it, and a cutscene activates. Tres anticlimactic. Overall the game was lazy and sloppy, and not worth playing. It's a disgrace to the series.
  52. Jul 14, 2013
    First off let me tell you that I am a HUGE HUGE Metroid fan. The metroid franchise means so much to in every way and I have never even come close to love another franchise more. With that said this is possibly the worst metroid game ever created. For all of you who are avid metroid fans this is a mockery of all the games you have previously had the pleasure of playing. With theFirst off let me tell you that I am a HUGE HUGE Metroid fan. The metroid franchise means so much to in every way and I have never even come close to love another franchise more. With that said this is possibly the worst metroid game ever created. For all of you who are avid metroid fans this is a mockery of all the games you have previously had the pleasure of playing. With the introduction of the first person 3D adventure style introduced in metroid prime a lot of fans were enthralled and amazed by the progression of the series from side scrolling to first person. Many after ,metroid prime 3 was finished, wanted a new metroid that goes back to the old formula which, after super metroid and metroid fusion, was a formula that was both perfect and timeless. When I saw this game i was a bit let down because it took what i had become familiar with in prime and what i loved about super metroid and changed the formula. A year after release i got this game and i did not finish it till today. Whats my opinion? THIS IS ON E OF THE WORST GAMES I HAVE EVER PLAYED. The story is so cliche and filled with influences of Japanese mediums. It's gameplay is clunky and wholly inaccurate and insufferable. The animation, while not exactly bad, wasn't the hardcore realistic or menacing style of super metroid, fusion, or prime (half the time I laughed at the stupid faces these creatures made) The games story however was the worst part. Yoshio Sakamoto has been with metroid from the beginning seeing as he is the creator of the game. Sakamoto knows what we liked and what we loved of the previous entries in the world of metroid and instead of giving us a mysterious, strong willed samus, with a badass ethos he gave us a butchery of Italian horror films, with Japanese anime emotion, and a horrific gameplay experience. This review i am writing is so horribly put together but bare with me because i just finished this game and want to cry. It is the worst game ever, it isn't even bad to somebody who isn't a huge fan, but to me a fan who once a month beats his metroid games over and over because he loves them that much, this was just horrible. I hope this man knows what he has done. I hope he knows that he butchered a franchise that never got a score lower then 80 for there games and created a game that deserved a 30. I hope when retro works on the next iteration that he is nowhere to be found except in the credits for a thank you A thank you for staying the away from the game. Expand
  53. Jun 24, 2013
    Forget the story. Forget the voice acting, the drama, and the weakness of Samus. Forget it all, and what's left is a great game full of tight action and crazy boss battles.

However, the issue here is that it isn't easy to ignore the game's numerous short comings. For one thing, the voice acting is just bad. I know that Samus looks like a robot, but she shouldn't have to sound like a robot too. Samus is so monotone that it makes her constant inner monologue even worse to listen to.

The biggest issue I have with this game is that it is in no way a Metroid game. Other than the characters, it bears no resemblance. The whole point of Metroid games were to abandon a player on an Alien world, having to figure things out and piece the story together yourself. In Metroid Prime, you accomplished this by scanning your environment for story based clues such as lore. In Metroid: Other M, this aspect is nonexistent. The game doesn't let you figure things out yourself. Rather, it has Samus tell you exactly what's happening at every moment in her monotone voice.
    The game is full of other issues, such as the fact that there is literally no music except for during boss battles. That just plain sucks. I love Metroid music, and this game had close to none of it.

The gameplay, however, is excellent. It's a mix of fast paced actions with a 3D twist, building upon the great foundation of Super Metroid's gameplay. The graphics, too, are great.

If you can look passed the game's cruel departure from Metroid norms, what's left is a great action game. However, as far as Metroid games come, it disappoints.
  54. Jun 9, 2013
    Metroid: Other M has one of the worst opening segments in videogame history. It forces you to deal with having your expectations for a Metroid title shattered in front of your eyes; Samus whines like a prissy teenager and acquiesces to a dominating male general. The clumsy switching interface between 2D and 3D modes will have you threatening to break something. The game's continualMetroid: Other M has one of the worst opening segments in videogame history. It forces you to deal with having your expectations for a Metroid title shattered in front of your eyes; Samus whines like a prissy teenager and acquiesces to a dominating male general. The clumsy switching interface between 2D and 3D modes will have you threatening to break something. The game's continual locking-off of areas so that you can't explore properly will frustrate to no end, as will the steep learning curve of it's combat heavy gameplay. The first hour or so of Other M will have you questioning whether this is truly a Metroid game at all. That said, if you can struggle past the opening and acclimatize to the missile lock sensimove mechanics, Metroid: Other M becomes a lot of fun. The main reason for that is the game's unpredictability. Other M features a huge menagerie of monsters to fight. You never know what is going to be lurking around the next corner. And as for the bosses! This game features some of the best encounters in the franchise's history. If you are a hardcore Metroid fan, some of the boss fights will make you pee your pants with excitement! Thankfully, the story gets much better as it progresses too. By the end of Other M, Samus is no longer a whiny brat and acts with the poise that we all know and love her for. It's quite a riveting yarn, actually. After all was said and done, I came away from this game will a mile wide grin on my face and the strong desire to immediately start another playthrough. On the Metroid scale of awesomeness, Other M would rank under Prime, Fusion, Zero Mission and Super Metroid but easily lays waste to Prime 2 & 3. Another sterling adventure for Samus Arran! Expand
  55. May 31, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is different from the Prime series so they aren't just rehashing the series and the gameplay is really fun, but my biggest problem with this is how they ruined Samus. I've always viewed Samus as a silent protagonist who never speaks, but it shows how committed to the job she is and her character was revealed through her movements and the way she reacts toDon't get me wrong, the gameplay is different from the Prime series so they aren't just rehashing the series and the gameplay is really fun, but my biggest problem with this is how they ruined Samus. I've always viewed Samus as a silent protagonist who never speaks, but it shows how committed to the job she is and her character was revealed through her movements and the way she reacts to certain things. With this voice actor, she sounds like a damning cheer leader in Samus's armor. It drives me crazy to hear her talk and how she's emotionally scarred from seeing Ridley come back from the dead more often than Krillin is just stupid. This is not a bad game by any means, but how they handled the characters just pisses me off. If you can ignore it and enjoy it for its gameplay, then this is for you. Otherwise, don't bother with it. Expand
  56. Apr 29, 2013
    This is definitely an example of Nintendo and Team Ninja pooping on a classic and well-loved franchise. I don't really feel like completely rehashing what the professionals and amateurs have already complained about: yes, they turned our beloved Samus, the first "strong" female lead character in a video game, into a whiny. weak-willed princess. Yes, the gameplay was left something to beThis is definitely an example of Nintendo and Team Ninja pooping on a classic and well-loved franchise. I don't really feel like completely rehashing what the professionals and amateurs have already complained about: yes, they turned our beloved Samus, the first "strong" female lead character in a video game, into a whiny. weak-willed princess. Yes, the gameplay was left something to be desired. But at its core, the components of a Metroid game were there. It wasn't the worst game I ever played, and let's be honest there's not a whole lot of truly A-list titles on the Wii.

Is it worth playing? Absolutely. Will you be disappointed? If you're a real Metroid fan, probably. Should you pay retail for it? No way.
  57. Apr 25, 2013
    Team Ninja gets how we all feel about Samus. We view her as a hardened badass war machine who gets the job done with chilling proficiency. The gameplay they've crafted reflects that long-held characterization. Throughout the Bottle Ship, Samus will throw giant alien bees, kick Space Pirates in the face, and suplex giant chameleon-scorpions. It's a shame the narrative paints her asTeam Ninja gets how we all feel about Samus. We view her as a hardened badass war machine who gets the job done with chilling proficiency. The gameplay they've crafted reflects that long-held characterization. Throughout the Bottle Ship, Samus will throw giant alien bees, kick Space Pirates in the face, and suplex giant chameleon-scorpions. It's a shame the narrative paints her as something entirely different. Yoshio Sakamoto wanted to humanize Samus, but in his attempt to do so, he made her come across as a weak-willed, emotionally stunted moron with deep daddy issues.

If Team Ninja developed the next game, and Sakamoto had nothing to do with the story, I would be optimistic. It's clear that they get how Samus is seen by Metroid's audience, and they certainly delivered a compelling game. It's a shame that such a great game had an awful story to go with it.
  58. Mar 10, 2013
    Though it's certainly not as good as Metroid Prime, Other M is still a worthy entry into the series and I feel it's the most underrated game of the seventh generation. The story isn't quite as exciting as I would have hoped and has a few glaring plotholes (what was the point of the Deleter if we never found out who he was?), but it's still worth looking at. People complain to no end aboutThough it's certainly not as good as Metroid Prime, Other M is still a worthy entry into the series and I feel it's the most underrated game of the seventh generation. The story isn't quite as exciting as I would have hoped and has a few glaring plotholes (what was the point of the Deleter if we never found out who he was?), but it's still worth looking at. People complain to no end about the gameplay, but here's a newsflash for you: this game has roughly the same controls as the modern Ninja Gaiden games (having played Razor's Edge, I know what I'm talking about), though I will admit it's not as immersive as the first-person view Prime gave us. Regardless of that, it felt pretty awesome jumping around and shooting things the way you could, and the bosses were just epic. The graphics are some of the best you'll see on the Wii and the voicework really makes this game more movie-like as a result. And about Samus. While her narration isn't very enthralling, the rest of the time she speaks makes me feel like she's a human being. After all, that's what she is: a human being. Humans cry and get scared just like she did in this game. So she's not a silent protagonist anymore. That's a good thing! It means she's not an emotionless robot like Master Chief or Gordon Freeman anymore! She has layers, for God's sake!(Admittedly though, it wouldn't kill her to smile every once in a while.) Bottom line is that this game has been judged very unfairly and it's worth a second look. G4 and angry fanboys have complained to no end about this game, but I say at least give it a rent sometime and give it a chance. I don't think you'll regret it. Expand
  59. Mar 7, 2013
    Some looked beyond the newfound wetness of Samus Aran's bounty hunting femme fatale, others (like myself) believed Team Ninja had just gone and destroyed the most iconic female protagonist in video game history. What doesn't help is the actual game she's in is a visually flat, uninspiring and very bland corridor themed third person shooter adventure. The game's cutscenes are a visualSome looked beyond the newfound wetness of Samus Aran's bounty hunting femme fatale, others (like myself) believed Team Ninja had just gone and destroyed the most iconic female protagonist in video game history. What doesn't help is the actual game she's in is a visually flat, uninspiring and very bland corridor themed third person shooter adventure. The game's cutscenes are a visual highlight, if too overlong. Gameplay mechanics are unnecessarily cumbersome and limiting just for the sake of being innovative. The execution of the protagonist's character is very controversial and confusing. Samus behaviour and personality in cut-scenes don't reflect how she behaves in-game. From weeping over a cold, un-charasimatic and intensely dislikable Adam Malkovich to wringing an alien lizard's neck then shoving her arm cannon ruthlessly into it's mouth before blasting it's internals out, it is clear the character development was only half-baked. Boss fights bar one or two are dull. The game is very difficult, as expected from Team Ninja of Ninja Gaiden fame but the game only lasts roughly 10-12 hours on normal difficulty, hard mode a few more. Graphics: 6/10
    Gameplay: 5/10
    Features: 6/10

Hard to recommend with the offensive portrayal of Samus Aran's character and dated attitude towards women...oh yeah did I mention she speaks now? I mean really talks? I mean never actually shuts up now?
  60. Feb 9, 2013
    By far the worst metroid game a a huge mis-step by Nintendo. The game has way too much focus on it's boring and ridiculous story, the characters including Samus are boring as all hell and I couldn't care less about any of them. The gameplay is decent for the most part, but the controls ruin the experience and make enemy encounters a chore. D-pad controls just don't work for this game. TheBy far the worst metroid game a a huge mis-step by Nintendo. The game has way too much focus on it's boring and ridiculous story, the characters including Samus are boring as all hell and I couldn't care less about any of them. The gameplay is decent for the most part, but the controls ruin the experience and make enemy encounters a chore. D-pad controls just don't work for this game. The game looks pretty good for a Wii title and the animation on Samus is better than ever but the boss battles and enemies aren't memorable when compared to previous games in the series. There are also infuriating 'scanning' segments and the plot has so many dumb moments it's ridiculous. I enjoyed some of other m through the frustration but I felt like I was playing a rip-off metroid rather than a real one the entire time. Expand
  61. Dec 18, 2012
    Short review: Metroid Other M is good for a rental or if you can score it for under 10$. It's short, linear, but can be quite fun if you could only skip the cutscenes.

Longer review Story: I keep wanting video game stories to really engross me, but usually I have low standards. If I'm interested enough to find out what happens next, we're good. Bonus points for good characters and

Longer review

Story: I keep wanting video game stories to really engross me, but usually I have low standards. If I'm interested enough to find out what happens next, we're good. Bonus points for good characters and a fun arc. Other M is offensively stupid in this aspect. I honestly feel a twinge of envy reading any review that praises the story or characters in this game. Clearly these people have an entire unexplored world of fantastic stories that to experience. What is "meh" level to the average person will be fantastic to them...they are strangely fortunate. It would not be so bad, if only the cutscenes are skippable...and they aren't...I've tried every button on the wiimote. I have difficulty putting into words why it's so terrible, however. I guess it must be that you have a story here that shoehorns in themes under the mistaken impression that, so long as a thematic element is present, it is well executed. There are themes of motherhood, female vulnerability, etc. that are indeed present, but the thick dialog and awful execution makes Samus end up looking like a wuss as well as a colossal moron.

Gameplay: The game is easy...and very very short. You'll most likely be fighting the controls with more furor than the enemies. Pointing at the screen will freeze you into place for an fps mode, and so the response lag will make for mouth frothing frustration as you point at the screen to aim your missiles without the ability to dodge. Otherwise, the gameplay is pretty okay...and I would be willing to forgive the abortion of a story (not to mention the clearly skewed view of women Team Ninja seems to have) if I could skip the cutscenes. Gameplay is 7 hours to finish...longer to get all the stuff. I did end up with 70% of the pickups with only 7 hours played, though, and the game is easy besides. The lack of buttons makes the game straightforward and simple, which I guess is okay.

The question of Samus: The words "Strong female protagonist" tend to annoy a lot of people. I guess it must be the lack of female developpers in the gaming industry. Could also be that any such character usually comes out trying so hard in a medium plagued with bad writing that it can be a bit off-putting. Samus had managed to avoid this problem in the most egalitarian (if not exactly eloquent) of ways: I'm a woman...that's about it. There was nothing strictly "female" or "male". Her sex was completely irrelevant, and she had no real personality to speak of anyway. That being said, we don't live in a 100% egalitarian society, and so there is a need for actual female characters with depth to fill the complete lack thereof in the entertainment industry in general. All this being said, Other M's Samus is not a good character for the feminist cause, anyway. Stupid, childish (not to mention freezing with fear in front of a monster who she kills on a regular basis), unsure, and constantly waiting on a the permission of a man for action (unintentional on the part of the developers I'm sure, but one can't help but notice...). Throw in the very, very bad writing, and you get a mess.
  62. Dec 1, 2012
    I love this game and any gamer that says this is sexist needs to grow up. The only flaw is the game does not have as much length as Metroid Prime. It is inspiring to see that samus Aran is human. The best kind of Bounty Hunter is one that is peaceful. I love how this goes back to NES gameplay.
  63. Nov 4, 2012
    There is one thing game does right and that is gameplay. Aside from the out of place first person moments, this game gives off the same 2D platforming feel of the originals; however, everything else about this game is terrible. For those of you that haven't played this game, be warned, the story is TERRIBLE. Now, most Metroid games have never been known to have great stories, but thisThere is one thing game does right and that is gameplay. Aside from the out of place first person moments, this game gives off the same 2D platforming feel of the originals; however, everything else about this game is terrible. For those of you that haven't played this game, be warned, the story is TERRIBLE. Now, most Metroid games have never been known to have great stories, but this game made story its centerpiece and shoved every cheesy ounce of it down your throat. In addition to the terrible story, the game is short, linear, and never gives off that isolated feeling that fans have grown to love about the previous titles. For the entire game, Samus is accompanied by members of the galactic federation. Rather than discovering new powers, Samus has to receive permission to use them from Adam. All in all, Nintendo really needs to give the franchise back to Retro studios. If Retro can take the gameplay elements of other M and incorporate them into every thing else that makes the Metroid franchise so amazing, we would have the potential for a game better than the Primes. Expand
  64. Aug 29, 2012
    I loved so much this game. It has a awesome way to play, great exploration, epic boss battles, a pretty damn good history, it's the way for me to do a third person metroid game.
    I think that capcom could borrow this type of game to rebirth the mega man and X series
    I just don't understand why people complain so much about this one. The only problem that a found in this game is the way they chose to present Samus, but it is a tiny flaw because for me they go just a little to much in Samus quietness and sadness but aways think that she will be a woman like that but not that much.
    Please play the game entirely before give your opinion.
  65. Aug 12, 2012
    Controls are bad,

the story is awfull, completly butchers everything about the series so far. the gameplay doesn't work. it feels good untill you realise the entire combat system is just twiddling the dpad and pressing a because the auto aim is so strong. and don't get me started on the stupid first person bits, especially the ones where you're routed in place and need to look at
    Controls are bad,

the story is awfull, completly butchers everything about the series so far.

and don't get me started on the stupid first person bits, especially the ones where you're routed in place and need to look at a damn flower for 20 min to progress.
  66. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've read some reviews on here that give the game an 8 or 9, while still managing to find significant gripes with the game. I'm here to explain why these gripes are important.
    Item 1: The Story/Dialogue. I would have put these as separate points, but the go together. The story, in a vacuum, is not too bad, except for the gameplay tie-in where you get authorized to use suit pieces (more on that later). However, this is the first Metroid game where Samus has a voice. In previous games, her only "dialogue" was during elevator loading screens, or a few bits of text boxes in Fusion, the next game in the timeline. When a main character is given a voice and, by extension a personality, it should be done so as to reinforce the character and her role in the game. If they meant to keep her as a bad-ass that saves planets, they messed up. However, her voice actor speaks in such a bland monotone that it only diminishes her character. But don't worry, I'll get to that later too.
    Item 2: The Controls. This wasn't too bad at first. I didn't mind switching modes as long as I wasn't under crazy amounts of fire, and the camera angle changes nicely around corners, with a few minor exceptions in morph ball tunnels. However, at the final boss fight, the controls come to a head. You have to freeze metroids in normal, hold-controller-sideways mode (you can go first-person, but dodging Metroids in first-person is nigh impossible), then switch to first-person, point-controller-at-screen mode to shoot missiles. If you freeze all Metroids on the screen at once (which is ordinarily a really good idea), the Metroid Queen will unfreeze them within a few seconds, and now you have to freeze them all again. This was my only real grudge against the controls, but a seamless game that falls apart at the end feels unpolished.
    Item 3: Item Upgrades. To everyone who said that this mechanic is not too bad, I say "Orly?" There is a small cutscene after you meet Adam, your former CO, in which Samus explains that she was in the military (and she could wear her power suit in the military. What's up with that?), but she quit the military to become a "solitary bounty hunter." (actual quote) Right after this scene, which ends with Adam being in charge of a military rescue operation, a small info box pops up saying that Samus has decided to not use missiles or bombs until Adam authorizes it. This is the beginning of the frustration that is the Authorization System. Other Metroid games accomplished similar systems by having really tough enemies either guarding items (Prime) or just tough enemies in the room before the item (Zero Mission, I think). It kept the feeling of exploration alive to find the items yourself. To have the items but not be able to use them keeps Samus in a submissive role. Also, if you do play it (or have played it), there are a few sections where Samus is wary and walks slowly, while the camera swings around to a 3rd-person, over-the-shoulder angle. I found myself wishing Adam would come over the horn and say "Brisk jog authorized."
    Item 4: Samus' Character. This is, honestly, the most important part of the game for me. I'm a huge fan of character development. In previous games, Samus worked alone, with maybe an authority figure that helped her locate power-ups. In this game, there are other people on the station with her, and she is careful around them. Also, the station is called a Bottle Ship. The distress signal is called a Baby's Cry, specifically designed to get attention (when they make a distress signal not designed to get attention, call me). She calls Adam a father figure. She gets freaked out of Ridley, who she fought at least 3 times (Metroid 1, 2, Super. Timeline-wise, of course). She submits to the will of Adam and his authorization. Other M is an anagram of Mother. (oh snap!) Here's what it boils down to: This is a chauvinistic view of one of gaming's most iconic female characters. Other female icons, like Lara Croft, have survived on sex appeal, but Samus has always been carried on her adventurous spirit and awesome fighting skills, with sex appeal only coming in when you beat the game, or Justin Bailey. In this game, her adventuring spirit is gone, especially in Hard Mode, where there are no non-essential collectables. Her fighting skills are still here, to a point, but it's not the same Samus as in previous installments. It's a bad view of gender politics, but Team Ninja has always had a strange view of gender politics (see: Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball).
    At the end of the day, I have to admit that it's not a bad game. It's not great, but if you grab it on sale, you'll probably have fun. However, it is a bad Metroid game. If you come into this game looking for another Metroidvania adventure, you'll get some enjoyment from it. However, if you really wanted to see what happens to Samus next, you'll be disappointed.
  67. Jul 18, 2012
    This is a good game, that's really all there is to it. People that give it a low score, not just on this site but all over the internet, are just Prime fans which is why they say "it's not like the other ones", and unfairly hold it to a non-existent standard. This game did not claim to be a 2D or 3D style Metroid. To rate it properly, you have to take it for what it is. I guess I have toThis is a good game, that's really all there is to it. People that give it a low score, not just on this site but all over the internet, are just Prime fans which is why they say "it's not like the other ones", and unfairly hold it to a non-existent standard. This game did not claim to be a 2D or 3D style Metroid. To rate it properly, you have to take it for what it is. I guess I have to say, good job Prime fans. Because of you, and the way you acted about this game, we will never see a 2D Metroid ever again. Only the extremely sub-par Prime games. As for details of the game itself, my first thoughts were that the automatic aiming would be a bit broken. But the idea is that if you use the standard shot which automatically aims, it's not very powerful. If you take your time and carefully aim a shot with a missile, it will do more damage. A simple yet ingenious concept. Nothing new of course, but at least we can say that this game has the bare, basic fundamentals required in order to be considered a "game". Most modern "games" such as the Prime series, and Skyrim cannot say that. Sure, you can easily clear out a group of small enemies but you're just not going to be taking out boss after boss by spamming the charge shot like some people want to make it seem. And the game is not about fighting each small enemy on your way from point A to point B. They are just there to give you something to do, and to add a small degree of challenge. That is why they're not incredibly difficult. Did you even play Super Metroid? Your beam took up half the screen when you fired it. Killing smaller enemies on the way from point A to point B was extremely easy. The game is about exploration, upgrading your equipment, and fighting bosses. In all of these areas, it succeeds. There are some frustrating moments, such as when the purple lizard like enemy jumps on Samus and you have to shoot its tail. I guarantee very few people survived that their first time. There are the moments where you have to look around for clues, sometimes requiring that you notice a very, very small detail in a large, open environment. I'm so glad they included moments like this in the game. It really goes to show just how many people got to these parts, got mad, and came on Metacritic to give the game a 0/10. The art style, graphics, and use of color in this game is just awesome. Traversing jungles, volcanoes, etc. is really fun to look at, and every now and then it's fun to just stop and look at the scenery. This is probably the most visually appealing Wii game out there. Not to mention all of the awesome animations when taking out a weakened opponent. The story is pretty decent. I would probably enjoy it more if I actually played games for the story. A lot of people complained that Samus "acted too much like a girl", and that she showed weakness. To these people, I have to ask, did you even pay attention to the story at all? The only times she really showed weakness was when she was initially getting in to her career. She was young. She WAS weak. How do you think she got to the level she is at today? Did you want her to just be BORN incredibly strong and independent? Wow, yeah, that would be an awesome back story! Another complaint I often hear about this game is that "you can just dodge everything". No. No you can't. I guarantee the people that say this got hit countless times. Not to mention, that's your choice if you choose to sit there and mash the d-pad as fast as you can in order to dodge. If you think the dodging is unfairly advantageous, then how about you don't abuse it then claim that it's a definitive part of the game when it's not? Expand
  68. Jul 14, 2012
    The game play is superb, and the storyline was enough to keep me interested. The thing I disliked about this game is how it took a strong willed woman like Samus and made her a whiny little baby at times with a thousand insecurities. I can get over that though as I did enjoy the game play and I thought it was a lot of fun to play.
  69. Jul 14, 2012
    I just replayed Other M and think I understand why so many give this amazing game negative reviews. First, Samus is an actual woman and not just T&A that keeps her mouth shut. Second, complaints that the controls to fire a missile into the face of a giant monster trying to kill you takes preparation, quick reflexes, and accuracy. People who lack the ability to do those things call theI just replayed Other M and think I understand why so many give this amazing game negative reviews. First, Samus is an actual woman and not just T&A that keeps her mouth shut. Second, complaints that the controls to fire a missile into the face of a giant monster trying to kill you takes preparation, quick reflexes, and accuracy. People who lack the ability to do those things call the controls bad instead of immersive. Third, haters tend to focus on the story and completely ignore the crisp graphics, heart pumping audio, and tight game play... which for a video game is kind of dumb (nobody is making you watch the cut scenes). Fourth, "they changed metroid!!!" coming out of the mouth of Prime fanboys who fail to realize that Prime was a massive change to metroid for us old fart Super Metroid fanboys. Expand
  70. Jun 11, 2012
    As a huge fan of the older games and the prime series it wasn't really what i had in mind. It has a cool blend of 2-d and 3-d environments that work pretty well. Metroid other m's control scheme is pretty cool too like pointing the Wii mote at the screen to go into First person and things like that. But the game is severely lacking lots of things. Most of the characters are annoying andAs a huge fan of the older games and the prime series it wasn't really what i had in mind. It has a cool blend of 2-d and 3-d environments that work pretty well. Metroid other m's control scheme is pretty cool too like pointing the Wii mote at the screen to go into First person and things like that. But the game is severely lacking lots of things. Most of the characters are annoying and unmemorable. Samus always has something pretty irrelevant to say, and there are way too many uninteresting story bits that dont make sense and if you were to remove them entirely you wouldent miss out on anything. All else aside it is a pretty enjoyable game but not up to par at all with the epic Metroid Prime saga. Expand
  71. May 10, 2012
    It may be a "fine" game for someone who doesn't care about previous Metroid games but for Metroid fans this is a disgrace. The main focus in this game is a linear story full in stereotypes and cliches. Everything else gets kicked off. Everything that made the franchise what it was is completely absent here. Metroid games are known for several qualities such as:
    -Non linear level design
    -Non linear level design with freedom of movement.
    -Tons of exploration.
    -Creepy atmosphere with superb music and the feeling of isolation.
    -SUBTLETY.

What we get in OtherM is:
    -Linear level design with tons of hand holding and directions. -No freedom of movement and almost no exploration at all.
    -You get your upgrades automatically, you don't even have to search for them.
    -A cliched story and obnoxious characters that lack subtlety. Tons of unskippable cutscenes.
    -Non existent soundtrack. So there you have it folks. If you are a Metroid fan and looking for a Metroid experience just look away and pretend this game does not exist. If you just want to play a simple, linear action game featuring anime tropes and trends, well, i guess OtherM should be a OK game for you.
  72. Apr 23, 2012
    I was really excited when i saw the trailer of this game, but when i play it i said... WTF?! I've never seen a Samus like that: She's tormented for the death of the baby metroid, she waas scared by Ridley, when in the other she was absolutely fine. THe new prospective is good, but the first person isn't like the prime ones. You've all of your items, but you can't activate because of thatI was really excited when i saw the trailer of this game, but when i play it i said... WTF?! I've never seen a Samus like that: She's tormented for the death of the baby metroid, she waas scared by Ridley, when in the other she was absolutely fine. THe new prospective is good, but the first person isn't like the prime ones. You've all of your items, but you can't activate because of that **** Adam malkovich, or whatever, that is appared from nowhere. This sucks!!! But i still like the boss battle and cutscenes (not all of those). Expand
  73. Apr 19, 2012
    I own all the previous games, and this game is a awful piece of trash compared to any and all of them. The writing is so bad an autistic child could do better, and the woman playing samus delivers her lines like its the most boring thing in the world, and she couldn't care less. The plot is as weak as humanly possible, samus has all her powers from the very beginning but wont use any ofI own all the previous games, and this game is a awful piece of trash compared to any and all of them. The writing is so bad an autistic child could do better, and the woman playing samus delivers her lines like its the most boring thing in the world, and she couldn't care less. The plot is as weak as humanly possible, samus has all her powers from the very beginning but wont use any of them until this guy who isn't her boss any more says she can. its to the point where samus is dieing of exposure to lava, but would rather that than activate the varia suit or even request to use it. Seriously WTF. The game randomly turns into the most hated of all genres, the pixel hunt. Randomly throughout the game the action stops, the view is locked into first person, and the game cannot continue until you randomly click the world around and guess the exact one thing the designer was thinking of. Finally, the gameplay is just awful. Almost all the shooting is done via auto-aim, the main weapon is almost useless except when used for finishers and charged shots. Expand
  74. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i dont see what the big complain about this game is i enjoy tthis game even in the hard mode.........people mainly complain about stuff like the insane lava run.........samus breaking out against ridley and anthony almost dying because of that........but who cares about that part because in the end anthony saves himself during the fall......this game has also the most classic bosses......ridley my favorite boss is creature you meet up with 3 times...once when hes a baby chick the other when hes a lizard that kills a trooper and when you have to blow off his tail...and then you fight him at the geothermal power plant.......theres lso mother brain and much more....i mean seriously we all have been waiting for samus's true nemisis to come back and were all ungrateful for this game.........and the heth replenishing and the ninja moves are awesome....oh yea the last thing people always complain about swithing from first person to third person........im not a metroid pro but honestly ive got no problems with switching modes even if its to fire a missile.....this game has to be a very great game.....and sadly its not noticed by anyone so you can get a cheap brand new copy anywhere for $10 to$20 bucks.........if your like me who enjoys nintendo this game might be your best bet Expand
  75. Mar 8, 2012
    The Other M is so far the worst in its series. They make Samus look like a sissy that needs assistance all the time. They have a stupid item gaining system. They have an mediocre story line that isn't that great. I think they should remove this game from the series and pretend it was a really bad nightmare that Samus had and she'll never think about it ever again.
  76. Mar 4, 2012
    Other M is a very strange title in the metroid series, I like the game but there are some serious issues that bothered me about this game. There are 2 controls perspective: the 3rd person controls are great you can fire, dodge, jump etc. just fine the problem is the 1st person controls, by aiming the remote to the screen you acces to FPS perspective but you cant move and this way is theOther M is a very strange title in the metroid series, I like the game but there are some serious issues that bothered me about this game. There are 2 controls perspective: the 3rd person controls are great you can fire, dodge, jump etc. just fine the problem is the 1st person controls, by aiming the remote to the screen you acces to FPS perspective but you cant move and this way is the only way to fire missiles and super missiles, is not that bad but sometimes its feels werid and you can get hit very easily and mimics the prime series controls. My point here is that the game didnt need that feature it would be better if al the focus went to the 3rd person and manage to put all the games control into only 3rd person. The other thing that bothers me is samus personality, is not a bad idea to put personality into a character but the cheap writting put into samus in this game was bad, always samus was a determinated a serious character and in this game they make her with a soft-emotional personality, soft moments can be emotional but not if they are repeated in the whole game. but aside from that other m is a good game the combat is flashy and action packed and the boss fights are incredible, by far this is one of the best games on the wii Expand
  77. Mar 1, 2012
    This game is only OK. Its basically button mashing fire and enemy avoidance with some interesting bosses. Controls get awkward when you switch to missile mode. The levels are similar to other metroid games. Unfortunately, I got stuck at a cut-scene that would not advance 1/4th of the way into the game. I tried everything while characters stood over the body of another a dead character. IThis game is only OK. Its basically button mashing fire and enemy avoidance with some interesting bosses. Controls get awkward when you switch to missile mode. The levels are similar to other metroid games. Unfortunately, I got stuck at a cut-scene that would not advance 1/4th of the way into the game. I tried everything while characters stood over the body of another a dead character. I don't consider those type of cutscenes gameplay, I tried everything, so I consider it a bug. Anyways it was enough to give up on this game that I only got for $5. I didn't even want to look on gamefaqs. It was stupid. As far as the narration and story I thought there should have been more of it. It was almost nonexistent too, so I'm not sure why people complained about it. Beware, this is a cheap game and might be buggy. Expand
  78. Feb 18, 2012
    Not only the first bad Metroid game but worst game I can remember having played, with the worst name I've seen on a video-game. Team Ninja wanted to make Samus more human and failed magnificently. Did their ideas ever include giving her a discernible personality, or dialogue a human might speak? 'Mother... time to go!' A mythology about a lone bounty huntress perpetually wrapped in aNot only the first bad Metroid game but worst game I can remember having played, with the worst name I've seen on a video-game. Team Ninja wanted to make Samus more human and failed magnificently. Did their ideas ever include giving her a discernible personality, or dialogue a human might speak? 'Mother... time to go!' A mythology about a lone bounty huntress perpetually wrapped in a space-suit exploring the silent worlds of distant stellar systems millennia in the future and fighting bioforms who have no words to speak to her is not one of the more fertile grounds for melodrama. The characters in Metroid games work exquisitely as silhouettes. The people at Team Ninja took those and painted smiley faces on them.

Example: A despicable opening scene presents a crater of a reenactment of the climax of 'Super Metroid', which most people seem to consider the best final boss encounter yet made, in one of the greatest games yet made. One of the things that made Mother Brain terrifying in the 1994 game was her empty, necrotic eye. She was a paragon of the soulless monstre archetype. In 'Other M', her enormous eye is brought to full, vibrant life. The ravening demoness of the tomb has now been reduced to a big, dumb ogress. The camera is maddening during the cut-scenes. It judders among Galactic Federation troops as they **** their guns in deference to the more wretched of the T.V. action shows, throwing any focus we might have off of the T.V. action show-like plot points currently being given, which in turn would distract us from the innate beauty of the game's atmosphere, if it had any.

Game-play disgraces its predecessors. Nearly all areas are dark and grimy. There is no Earthly reason there should be a Metroid game this bad.
  79. Feb 11, 2012
    Absolutely horrible. The controls are poorly designed. The cut scenes go on forever and are sometimes downright embarrassing. Samus' boob job may impress adolescents, but I came to play a game, not watch a movie. The Metroid series hit its high point with Metroid Prime in my opinion, and Other M stuck a knife in its' back. It was so bad I couldn't sit through enough of it to finish theAbsolutely horrible. The controls are poorly designed. The cut scenes go on forever and are sometimes downright embarrassing. Samus' boob job may impress adolescents, but I came to play a game, not watch a movie. The Metroid series hit its high point with Metroid Prime in my opinion, and Other M stuck a knife in its' back. It was so bad I couldn't sit through enough of it to finish the game. I may have to move to another platform, or drag out my SNES. Expand
  80. Dec 28, 2011
    The storyline is great and unique, very emotional and touching unlike any other Metroid game. It does not have much connection to the saga superficially but the story behind holds strong stings attached to the central concept of the franchise. Technical production also outstands from similar games, with amazing graphics and astonishing cutscenes that add more excitement to this newThe storyline is great and unique, very emotional and touching unlike any other Metroid game. It does not have much connection to the saga superficially but the story behind holds strong stings attached to the central concept of the franchise. Technical production also outstands from similar games, with amazing graphics and astonishing cutscenes that add more excitement to this new production. A big flaw can be found in its gameplay, with poorly developed controls that could have taken significantly more advantage of what the Wii platform has to offer. Overall, a good game to pass time but not one to become a classic. Expand
  81. Dec 17, 2011
    Not the best metroid game out there, but still a slightly good one. The controls are my biggest concern, even after playing this game multiple times, I still have problems. Not to mention the voice acting in the game is terrible. Also, the story was not well written either, I felt they should have worked harder on the story more then anything else because the way they depicted Samus andNot the best metroid game out there, but still a slightly good one. The controls are my biggest concern, even after playing this game multiple times, I still have problems. Not to mention the voice acting in the game is terrible. Also, the story was not well written either, I felt they should have worked harder on the story more then anything else because the way they depicted Samus and Adam's relationship is a little disappointing. I feel as if they should have added more game play to this game. It seems like Nintendo focused more on the cutscenes (which were done very well!) more than the game play. Expand
  82. Dec 6, 2011
    I really liked this game.Gorgeous graphics, refreshing game play and great cinematic story.I dont care if Samus talked,i found those parts entertaining.My only complain is the final boss which is lame , but thank god a little surprise in the game.Also i found that metroid prime games were more deep and longer .Although i finished the game in 8 hours ,i've only completed the items at 23%.SoI really liked this game.Gorgeous graphics, refreshing game play and great cinematic story.I dont care if Samus talked,i found those parts entertaining.My only complain is the final boss which is lame , but thank god a little surprise in the game.Also i found that metroid prime games were more deep and longer .Although i finished the game in 8 hours ,i've only completed the items at 23%.So there are lots of items to collect. Expand
  83. Dec 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think this game was pretty good as far as plot goes. It tells us metroid fans about samus' mostly hidden past, and fills in alot of gaps left by earlier metroid games. But the controls are often unresponsive and the missle launch system is sometimes difficult to activate and can be hard to aim. But when you aren't in 3rd person mode, it is fun to run around with samus and kill your enemies, There are a few characters that haven't been seen since the first metroid games, such as phantoon and the queen metroid. Ridley (my favorite metroid character), makes a return and gives samus a panic attack for some reason. The whole games takes place in a large space station called the Bottleship and holds many enviornments with both old and new enemies, some of which are absolutely enourmus and take at least 5-10 minutes to take down, but the contasnt dodgeing and shooting keeps any diehard killing or mertroid fan amused. As usual, there are tons of power-ups in this game to collect and use,as this is the case with all metroid games. There isnt much post game stuff to do besides collecting all new powerups and doing the special mission, but it wil keep one playing for a few weeks. Expand
  84. Nov 20, 2011
    This game butchered Samus Aran.

It's too easy, has a riculous upgrade system, unlikable characters and spits on the otherwise amazing Metroid series.

After Metroid Prime, it's inconcievable this could even be alowed to exist.

If you have never played a Metroid game, you may find something enjoyable in the gameplay, but otherewise, stay well clear.
  85. Nov 13, 2011
    This game is bad. It was the awful voicing of samus, that i just couldn't stand. Needing authorization to use a weapon - Come on! Traded in immediately. Want a good Metroid game? Play Metroid prime 1 2 or 3.
  86. Nov 11, 2011
    This game was so bad! I don't understand how it has gotten such good reviews from Game review sites like IGN and Gamestop. I loved the design of the game and thought the gameplay was well crafted, with the exception of the first person mode in which you could not move. It was also nice to see a 3D metroid game return to its 2D roots. However, Team Ninja really dropped the ball on the storyThis game was so bad! I don't understand how it has gotten such good reviews from Game review sites like IGN and Gamestop. I loved the design of the game and thought the gameplay was well crafted, with the exception of the first person mode in which you could not move. It was also nice to see a 3D metroid game return to its 2D roots. However, Team Ninja really dropped the ball on the story and character development. Every character was an archetype and the relationships between the characters were boring and cliched. Perhaps is the writing had been better the "twist" at the end of the game would have been at least mildly shocking, and maybe even had the impact on the audience that I think Team Ninja was aiming for. Without spoiling anything, I must also warn that the final boss battle is a bit of a cop-out. The only good that can come from this game, is that hopefully Nintendo will be more careful, with whom it allows to develop its first party IPs. Expand
  87. Oct 14, 2011
    I adore this game. This game feels like controlling a little action figure as it blasts it's way through classic crazy over the top Japanese monsters stuck in a space station. The worlds feel like beautiful little dioramas with plenty of hidden secrets. As to if this is a Metroid game; yes. The action is more frantic that previous games in the series, but it's really wonderful. While theI adore this game. This game feels like controlling a little action figure as it blasts it's way through classic crazy over the top Japanese monsters stuck in a space station. The worlds feel like beautiful little dioramas with plenty of hidden secrets. As to if this is a Metroid game; yes. The action is more frantic that previous games in the series, but it's really wonderful. While the story is a bit SyFy channel cheesiness, it serves to keep the tension high and move the game along. I also appreciated the frequent save points and not overly long quest. I don't have a ton of time to sink into games, but this one felt just right. This is the Metroid franchise on an arcade bent and I loved it. Expand
  88. Sep 23, 2011
    They managed to break the excellent gameplay of both the 2D games, and Prime's GOTY award-winning FPS action... in one sitting! let me elaborate...

The third person parts are ok, i guess, but since the d-pad's 8-way digital input is ill fit for 3D environments. most of the shooting is auto-aimed, taking the fun out of much of the action, this is broken as well as most often than not, the auto aim, picks the target far away rather than the dangerously close one.

The First Person Mode is infuriating at first, frustrating at best when you get used to it. not being able to move in this mode is really not the way to go here, i still don't understand why... you are perfectly capable of still using the d-pad here to move, yet it's blocked, even free-looking is blocked unless you press and hold B, which also activates locking and missiles which makes it a pain to look around... Fans of the Prime Trilogy will (and have) revolt since there's no good reason lo lock looking around and moving in this mode (even without the nunchuck) than just to piss you off...

Gone are the Energy/Missile/SuperMissile/Powerbomb pickups when you defeat enemies, now you have to hold the wii remote upwards and hold A to recharge missiles and takes a little while (3 secs?). You also have to do this to recharge Energy, the kicker is you can only do it when you're about to die at 25 energy or less and when you hold the remote upwards and hold A you stand still and completely vulnerable until a blue dot reaches the end of the energy meter. then it recharges, this takes approximately 5 seconds which in metroid terms is an eternity, making it impossible to recharge when most enemies are around, besides, it only recharges the first (or last, if you will) 100 points of energy, not the tanks, these can only be recharged at the save stations. To me... this... outright sucks. It's like Mario with no mushrooms anywhere... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? it breaks the formula too much!

Metroid Prime fans are gonna hate it (forsaking the nunchuck is one thing, but locking movement and even free looking in 1st person mode, just to piss you off, is too much, went too far)

Old school metroid fans are gonna hate it as well, since it breaks the classic formula... (Linearity, shallow, chatty monotone Samus w/daddy issues included)
  89. Aug 28, 2011
    First of all, this is highly recommended for fans of meaty adventure games or generally top-down shooters, as the Wii seems to be lacking them. The only reason it got such a low-ish score from me was becuase that it wasn't going to be the classic we were all expecting. It's still a good game, but it's let down by a un-interesting plot and cut-scenes, fiddly D-pad controls and poor shooterFirst of all, this is highly recommended for fans of meaty adventure games or generally top-down shooters, as the Wii seems to be lacking them. The only reason it got such a low-ish score from me was becuase that it wasn't going to be the classic we were all expecting. It's still a good game, but it's let down by a un-interesting plot and cut-scenes, fiddly D-pad controls and poor shooter sections. Basically, treat it as a meaty adventure with Metroid side-bits and references and you won't be disappointed. Fans of previous Metroid games may be. Expand
  90. Aug 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metroid is one of my most favorite series, so when this was announced I was excited, however this was an extreme disappointment. This game brought it into a 3rd person view with a method to pop into First Person view, however the controls for this are really bad. Pointing the Wii-Mote at the screen is an extremely clunky method of doing this and is one of the 3 problems with the controls. The other Problem with the controls I have are as follows.
    They are using a D-PAD for 3 dimensional movement.
    The other problem with the controls are that to use one of the abilities that you need to use most, the missiles you MUST go into first person to use them.
    The annoying thing about these problems are that they could all be fixed if Team Ninja used the Wii-Nunchuck. Other: M is a game that was meant to go deeper into Samus' backstory and history and to clear up some questions that were created in Metroid Fusion. However this being a story driven game, it is a Abysmal one, the writing is honestly some of the worst in all video games. There is a scene where Samus meets up with Ridley and she goes into a panic attack, this being the 5th time she has killed Ridley, this scene makes little to no sense.
    Samus also finds a specific liking to a Metroid she met on Zebes during Super Metroid, resulting in 50% of the Dialogue being "THE BABY", which drives on my nerves greatly. However the problems with the story don't just go there, they have terrible voice actors too. Samus' voiced by Jessica Martin, was really bad. She has no emotion and she sounds just overall always whiny for such a heroic character as Samus. The gameplay is incredibly simplistic, easy, and generally un-fun for such a fun series as Metroid. Team Ninja put little effort into making anything about the game Challenging, because In the game Samus learns the ability to dodge almost every attack just by pressing a button and mashing any direction on the D-Pad. This is what Kills it for me, this ability basically makes it so that you can no longer take a lick of damage and even if you do, you can Regenerate health whenever you want. Not only that but you can now fire of a Charged Shot after doing a Dodge roll which makes taking out enemies extremely easy. However, things look a little bit in the right direction when Team Ninja spent large amounts of time Making the Aesthetics of the game good, however good Aesthetics does In no way make up for the huge other flaws of this game. So the combat in the game is largely flawed due to, easily spammable abilities. So does this mean the overall flow of the game is bad. Well unlike almost all other Metroid Titles, accept for Fusion, this game is cripplingly linear. It is a straight narrow hallway, which completely kills any Ideas for cool types of runs like in Super Metroid. This is a incredibly bad game Musically too, Super Metroid had some of the best music for a 16 bit system , and this when on the Wii you would expect for a great soundtrack...well this game has only ONE song out of the whole soundtrack. That and there is an extreme lack of music in general with the majority of the game being blank and soundless. Boss battles are uncreative at best with the Final boss extremely flawed, and one boss might as well be a cutscene, because to end it you have to scan a place. Scanning in this game, unlike Metroid Prime which in that game was a fountain of knowledge, this game it is a clunky mechanic where in some scenes you have to scan a logo...or a pixel of...nothingness sometimes wasting hours of your life just questioning what are you supposed to do. Flawed with, bad controls, bad soundtrack bad gameplay, bad combat, and bad story. What did Team Ninja else do wrong. This, being a Metroid title, is supposed to have a large focus on gaining power-ups and items. However the power-up system is illogical, Samus, returning from Super Metroid has everything she had in Super Metroid, however she won't use them because they may harm the Galactic Federation team... according to Adam, which means that Even though Samus has the Varia suit which blocks heat damage, she will not use it because Adam has not allowed her. I would be less annoyed about this if it weren't for 2 times where It really annoys me. First, Samus enters the fire area of the game with out the Varia suit so you think that you will get it in like a minute however. Adam only authorizes the Varia suit at the end of the area during a boss fight. Second, there is a fight with the Queen Metroid where you enter the belly of the beast and are supposed to use a Power Bomb, however Adam has not Authorized it meaning that, you will spend at least 30 minutes until you realize that you can use them with out Authorization from Adam. So what reason could you have for this game, I would avoid this game unless you are either A: A collector or B:A person who only cares about Graphics. This game was a terrible flop for Team Ninja. My final score would be a 2/10.
  91. Jul 5, 2011
    Concerns that the game destroys a strong female character and sets 'women in games' back should be immediately abandoned; demanding women fill either one of two roles in gaming is as sexist as any portrayal of the 'girly-girl' or 'homemaker'. The game shows a woman with inner turmoil and actual problems, yet still allows you to kick absolute arse through gameplay. A far more relatable andConcerns that the game destroys a strong female character and sets 'women in games' back should be immediately abandoned; demanding women fill either one of two roles in gaming is as sexist as any portrayal of the 'girly-girl' or 'homemaker'. The game shows a woman with inner turmoil and actual problems, yet still allows you to kick absolute arse through gameplay. A far more relatable and real feeling character than the cardboard cutout hero many games have (silent protagonists being much over done and a cheap replacement for characterization) or the typical 'Terminatrix' most people think female heroines should be in order to be cool. The style of play is fun with an intuitive switch between first person and third person (it's not clunky like lazy gamers would have you believe, and clearly they don't remember old games with actual clunky controls). In many ways, it plays like a classic metroid- a mostly platformer styled game with the return of your beam weapons and other powerups all combining (which can be good or bad depending on your taste admittedly) set between a variety of explorable zones. I high risk to rip the game out of the genre Prime had set when FPSes are a cash cow today. The new way of approaching enemies in the game and giving them unique ways of killing each one gives a much less boring feel of simply blasting your way through as with previous titles (a system that oddly no one had a problem with when used in God of War yet is just as viscerally satisfying here) and again can show- through Rule of Cool, check it on TV Tropes- just how much arse Samus can kick; while showing that she is still very much a person, a woman, with real problems and an actual personality rather then a face-frozen-in-scowl or some witty-kid focusing more on asinine commentary. Your main problems with the game will come from the somewhat awkward way most upgrades are given to you, which may cause a raised eyebrow at one point in the game, and leaves too much room for people to read too much into it (it's not that bad, but invited all the children into the house) and the fact that Nintendo is putting characterization much too late into the game, which will (of course!) upset those with preconceived notions on how they feel Samus should act, especially as the amount of talking she does is incredible (even if mostly inner monologue) compared to previous games, which can give a confused notion of seeming 'preachy'. These two are largely subjective problems; leaving the only real technical fallacy to the game being the rather difficult 'detective' moments, when you're required to find incredibly tiny bits of 'evidence', and often are hard to get your WiiMote to recognize your pointing at it, in order to advance. These are, thankfully, sparse through the game. It's short, like most old Metroids, and the re-playability isn't as grand as it could have been. I can suggest that one at least RENT this game, ignoring what others say about it, and try it yourself; form your own opinion. I PERSONALLY don't regret my money being spent on it, and I bought it- you should at least rent it, and form your own opinions. It's short, and the gameplay alone is interesting enough that there's no way you could really have wasted five bucks just to try it. A good, if not the best, addition to the series. Expand
  92. Jul 2, 2011
    just to start off, this game is EPIC, it ties up almost all of the loose ends of metroid; and then it has great gameplay. the 3rd person can be weird for those at home with prime, but eventually feels natural. The graphics, though not that important, look really good. the only downside? the LONG cutscenes lasting up to 15 minutes, cannot be skipped, and you are not allowed to pause, butjust to start off, this game is EPIC, it ties up almost all of the loose ends of metroid; and then it has great gameplay. the 3rd person can be weird for those at home with prime, but eventually feels natural. The graphics, though not that important, look really good. the only downside? the LONG cutscenes lasting up to 15 minutes, cannot be skipped, and you are not allowed to pause, but the cutscenes look amazing and tell samus's story very well. overall i love this game and say any who hate it can be staring down the barrel of a phazon cannon for all i care. Expand
  93. Jun 25, 2011
    Metroid Other M is different from most Metroid games due to the fact it is more stroy driven than any other Metroid game out there. While different in that regard, Metroid Other M is a fantastic game. Overall presentation is superb! From the games opening moments to the very 'final' ending, Metroid Other M will keep surprising and aweing the game player!

Graphics are amongst some of the

Graphics are amongst some of the best that any Wii game has to offer. Very detailed and colorful backgrounds help immerse the player in Other M's world. Samus is beautifully animated. Bosses look huge and menacing. Game is drop-dead gorgeous! Not much else to say!

Metroid Other M's soundtrack is also very well done. Even though the Wii can only do pro-logic, while playing this game through my 7.1 surround sound system, I could distinctly hear different sounds coming out of all the speakers. Samus even talks in this game and I had no problems with her voice. She is a younger Samus and I thought her and all the rest of the voice actors did a superb job!

Gameplay is top-notch as well. I had no problems changing to the first person view. I have seen where people do not like the FP mode, but honestly it probably has more to do with those people sucking at videogames. Plus, its not that often you really have to use the FP mode. Overall length of Other M is actually a little bit longer than most Metroid games. Now, I tend to take my time with all the games I play, so my playtime may be a little longer than the average person's. I just like to savor every moment. It took me around 14 hours to finish the game. Others I know have finished the game in 11 hours or so. There is quite a bit of story driven cutscenes in the game, but I liked that. If all games were clones of each other what fun would that be. I hearby rate Other M a 10. I do give out 10s pretty easily as I am not as anal as some when it comes to videogaming. Definatly pick this game up, even if you are not a Metroid fan. Metroid is definatly not one of my favorite gaming series, but I enjoyed the hell out of Other M. I think it being different than most other Metroid games is why I like it so much.
  94. Jun 23, 2011
    This was a waste of money, and I only spent $20.00. Whatever good ideas this game contains are outdone by the awful story line and emphasis on cut scenes. They bog the game down, and are embarrassing to watch. If you want a 2D Metroid experience go back through each one from the NES, SNES, GB, and GBA. If you've already done that - save your money and put it towards a Metroid Prime statue.
  95. Jun 14, 2011
    Can a game possibly have a story so terrible it gets its ass kicked from Canon? I think this one has achieved that feat. With destroying the core concepts of a strong, powerful female character, full on stealing its plot almost piece by piece from Fusion, and having Samus in general do retarded thing... OH did I forget plot lines that just get randomly dropped and random whining that seemsCan a game possibly have a story so terrible it gets its ass kicked from Canon? I think this one has achieved that feat. With destroying the core concepts of a strong, powerful female character, full on stealing its plot almost piece by piece from Fusion, and having Samus in general do retarded thing... OH did I forget plot lines that just get randomly dropped and random whining that seems out of place EVEN for this freaking game as well? Holy **** the story is terrible. Gameplay is... marginally better. The swapping back and forth leaves you pathetically pew pewing with your beam most of the game until you stun something or have to go all missile face; making gameplay boring... in addition to making the standard enemies feel like boss battles on themselves. WHEN I GET THE SCREW ATTACK **** DIES. END OF STORY. Not... you gotat Screw attack them, then serve them tea to expose their weak spot which you hit with a dash of beam and then a missile before getting eaten and using a power bomb. Which with how much build up they have around the power bomb, is a pretty lack luster attack outside of when you're supposed to use it. The clue searching was... stupid. Just... stupid. I like how they tried to revive the 2d style with a 3d world... but I think they could've done it a lot better with a NUN-CHUCK. Holy **** I move with the Nun-chuck and point the curser at the screen to aim. I'm a genius. A **** Genius greater than that at Team Ninja. I'm glad for rentals though. Let me play this ****ty ass game without super frustration. Expand
  96. May 16, 2011
    FUN! Metroid has had a lot of games. It started as a side scroller, developed into an FPS and then a pinball game, but now we have Metroid Other M. This game is 2D, it's 3D, it's a 3rd person shooter, it's a Side scroller, it's survival horror, it's an FPS, it's a story of closure, and it's flat out high octane FUN. Team Ninja's Metroid Other M, has a lot in common with an action gameFUN! Metroid has had a lot of games. It started as a side scroller, developed into an FPS and then a pinball game, but now we have Metroid Other M. This game is 2D, it's 3D, it's a 3rd person shooter, it's a Side scroller, it's survival horror, it's an FPS, it's a story of closure, and it's flat out high octane FUN. Team Ninja's Metroid Other M, has a lot in common with an action game developed by the famous game developer, TREASURE. It's Fresh, Familiar, tons of explosions, and throws caution to the wind when considering what a lot of loyal fans may think. Like so many Wii titles, Metroid Other M is an experiment and uses the meeting ground of the Wii, like a pit-stop, to attract some New faces to the Metroid Fan-base family. Like me. My favorite Wii game is Sin and Punishment Star Successor, and my tastes are very action orientated, so I get bored easily at exploratory type games. I know I will get Hate for this, but I find every Side-scroller Metroid before Metroid Other M, confusing, frankly not that smooth or fun to play, worst of all dull. In Metroid Other M, the traditional Metroid style gameplay stiffness is gone, the rat-mazes are history, Bosses are exciting and plentiful now, a good life regeneration system has been implemented, collecting items is no longer a chore and YES even the character Samus, is lovable. This is the closest I have seen to a 90's Arcade style Metroid, and it is all the better for it, in my frantic stuck-in-the-90's arcade action gamer opinion. If you have hated Metroid all the days of your life, this is a Metroid that sings a Siren song, reaching out to you! The low sales of this game will make the development of another like it, not likely to say the least, so there should be plenty copies out there cheap. Don't mind the spoiled brat fan-boys and fan-girls, this Metroid is AWESOME! I don't think those fans, who are offended at this iteration of Metroid have anything to fear concerning the future Metroid releases because as far as I can tell, this wasn't made for them, it was made for YOU. Think of it as a conspiracy by pathetic elitists, that don't want us scum to enjoy "THEIR" game franchise. So go and enjoy METROID OTHER M! This is my Second Favorite Wii game, second only to Sin and Punishment Star Successor of course. Next time Nintendo, Hire TREASURE to develop Metroid:D Expand
  97. May 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a newcomer to the Metroid series, and have only every played another Metroid game when I was about 5, on the GBA, I didn't even know it was one too. I bought this because my brother (He loves the Metroid series) wanted to get it so badly. I found it rather cheap on GAME so I bought it. And I have to say I am so happy that I did. Amazing graphics, looks beautiful. Great cutscenes, great fight sequences and this has even got me into buying the Prime Trilogy and Super Metroid. The only few bad things is the lack of replay value, except for having to go back, and collecting the power-ups, getting Adam's hat and fighting that giant Monster, and parts where you go into first-person and have to search for something as small as a pixel. I did like the twist of that small rat thing being Ridley. Great game all around, haters gonna hate on this game. Expand
  98. Apr 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I DONT HAVE A PERFECT ENGLISH.

The best metroid ever created. Seriously, why the people cant accept a change in the gameplay of a great franchise. Before metroid other m, metroid was still my favorite franchise and this improved. I loved when the franchise try to be more original. I hope the bad reviews do not affect the future of metroid. I'm sure many of you expected it to be equal to the other Metroids, and for that reason got bad reviews.
  99. Apr 29, 2011
    metroid other m is a game that has the classic gameplay from the first games in a 3D world it changed exploration for good cutscenes with impressive CGI and good story telling, you can use a FPS view but you cant move in this mode, but you can shoot missiles which are your stronger weapon, the in game graphics are impressive and only make a good game in a better one
  100. Apr 26, 2011
    Excellent game. Brought back memories of playing super metroid in some ways. If your looking for a cheap Nintendo title this is the one. Don't really like shooters at all but i like metroid. Wish they had finished making the game though. Too short.

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#4 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Oct 21, 2010
    Regardless the shortcomings, Nintendo definitely deserves praise for yet again hiring not one but two orchestras to play the game's soundtrack start to end– hearing real strings and percussion, occasionally augmented by sci-fi synthesizer, adds a lushness to the soundtrack that Metroid has long deserved.
    Experimental by design. It might not always work, but when it does its an experience hard to forget, wearing the Metroid tag with pride with its head held high.
  3. Team Ninja is not Nintendo. This could be the perfect description for Metroid: Other M, a competent action game that simply lacks the quality and the level of polishing of the "real" Nintendo games.