9.3

1. JacobP.
    Aug 31, 2009
    I want to post an honest review of this game. I greatly enjoyed Metroid Prime for the Gamecube in 2002. However, because of this new version complete with Wii controls, I know have pains in my wrist that I've never had before. I think the right thing to do is let others know what's happened to me. Maybe it doesn't affect others like it does myself, but I believe that I have I want to post an honest review of this game. I greatly enjoyed Metroid Prime for the Gamecube in 2002. However, because of this new version complete with Wii controls, I know have pains in my wrist that I've never had before. I think the right thing to do is let others know what's happened to me. Maybe it doesn't affect others like it does myself, but I believe that I have a responsibility to share my experience with this game in a honest and unbiased manner. So yes, I now have troubles with my wrist. The Wii is the top selling home console to date, and I imagine the draw is the Wii motion controls. It's in the opinion of some people that the controls of the Wii allow precision, and with the new peripheral Wii Motion Plus, that's certainly true. But is Metroid really a precision based game? If you were a sniper and needed to assassinate someone from far away, I imagine that's when precision would come into play. If you're a seamstress and trying to poke a thread through a needle, precision would be needed there too. But firing an arm cannon at monsters from point blank range? I think Retro Studio's heart was in the right place, but I feel they overdid it. The Wii controls truly do hurt my wrist as well as tire my arm. I need to lie my arm down in order to play this title. I've never had problems with my wrist before or any kind of signs of carpal tunnel syndrome, but this game really does, no joke, and with all seriousness make the game nigh unplayable, let alone fun. So much so I've only played the game in bursts, and now that I've beaten it and can trace my wrist ailments to it, I know I'll never pick it up again. Even then though, I don't know if this would still be worth the full price tag. The games in the Prime series came out in 2002, 2004 and in 2007. I beat Metroid Prime way back in 2002 and it's sequel in 2004. They're great games, but they're old games. Plus, I was quite young back then. I feel as if there are more grown-up titles out there and this is best suited for children. But the carpal tunnel syndrome comes into play again. If you're a parent and thinking of buying this for your child, please reconsider. Your child may very well develop carpal tunnel syndrome or some other arm and wrist problems. If you truly love your child, ignore their cries of protest and give them a hockey stick instead. They should be outdoors, not destroying their wrists (and any future working with a computer) playing this. If you want a good title for the Wii, pick up Wii Fit. The gaming website IGN gave this compilation a 9.5 out of 10. If you read the user reviews though for the other Metroid game with Wii controls, you'll find the reviews are much less favourable. I'm not chiding you; please go the the respective webpages and look. One final thing before I finish: the first two Metroid games came with substantial bonuses. In Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, there was a multi-player component which, if you're familiar with the Gamecube's lack of online play, was only local. The bonus in Metroid Prime was even sweeter: providing you had a GBA, you could play the original Metroid; the game that started it all. In this compilation however, the multi-player remains still only local; which stikes me as a wasted opportunity to bring motion controls into a setting where precision would've actually been substantial. Also, the original Metroid for the NES is missing. There's always Metroid: Other M to look forward to. It looks to be a worthwhile reinvention of the series. God, I love innovation in all it's forms. Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2015
    Garbage. Same games with no graphics upgrade, but you get to pay for them again! But wait, that's not all, now we have MANDATORY MOTION CONTROLS. No controller support of any kind. Steer clear.

1. The bargain of the century and a great opportunity to visit a brilliant series. [Sept 2009, p.79]
  2. There's a seriously massive amount of gameplay per pound here. [Oct 2009, p.58]
  3. Three outstanding games (two of which are vastly enhanced with dead-on motion controls) available for the price of one. We can’t imagine a better deal on Wii this year.