Red Steel Wii

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 19, 2006
6.8

1. Jul 10, 2011
    At the beginning of the the announcement of the first WII games, Nintendo had Red Steel( " We think that if we add a hard core game to it, we may gain more new players" ) i do not think this is so hardcore Nintendo, but i most say is great. The control is good and utilize all the gimmicks it needed. I complain a lot about the checkpoint, very irritating and sometimes the WII remote getsAt the beginning of the the announcement of the first WII games, Nintendo had Red Steel( " We think that if we add a hard core game to it, we may gain more new players" ) i do not think this is so hardcore Nintendo, but i most say is great. The control is good and utilize all the gimmicks it needed. I complain a lot about the checkpoint, very irritating and sometimes the WII remote gets messy. I'm happy though that Nintendo made the risk. Expand
  2. Jun 14, 2015
    Red Steel is a big empty promise, the sword fights are just boring and the gunfights is full of bugs (your aiming point goes back on the center of the screen for no reasons in the middle of your gunfights) it would have been even more annoying if the game was difficult, but at least the game is very easy and you'll just have to walk your way through the levels to finish it (shouldn't takeRed Steel is a big empty promise, the sword fights are just boring and the gunfights is full of bugs (your aiming point goes back on the center of the screen for no reasons in the middle of your gunfights) it would have been even more annoying if the game was difficult, but at least the game is very easy and you'll just have to walk your way through the levels to finish it (shouldn't take more than 8 hours). The story comes right from a 80's D movie, so does the actors, and will at best make you smile for its stupidity. To finish with this list of problems, the graphics are pretty ugly even for a Wii launch game, and I'd just like to emphasize that the absence of blood for a game named RED steel, is also a bit dumb.
    But in the middle of all this there is some nice destruction and even a bit of fun.

I could have ignore the ugliness if the controls were better thought and without bugs, but Red Steel is barely not a pain to play and doesn't deserve almost any kind of money from your pocket instead of other games out there.
  3. Dec 17, 2010
    I wasn't really impressed with this game. I bought it because the comedic trailer made it look fun and pretty cool. That is until I played through the whole thing. The problems that I have is the health system. You die so easily, you will be over raged to break the TV screen. The aim is really difficult, I can never get my Wiimote balanced when I'm trying to kill someone. Some First PersonI wasn't really impressed with this game. I bought it because the comedic trailer made it look fun and pretty cool. That is until I played through the whole thing. The problems that I have is the health system. You die so easily, you will be over raged to break the TV screen. The aim is really difficult, I can never get my Wiimote balanced when I'm trying to kill someone. Some First Person Shooters are like that on the Wii. Plus the story was cheesy, so this game isn't so good. Expand
  4. Aug 10, 2013
    This game has the same story as every action movie that has been made in the past thirty years.The action is terrible, the music sounds like it was made in the 80's and the controls are pure The more I played this game the more I really just wanted to return it. The characters are badly writing because they are Asian american stereotypes. You play as a bodyguard what is also marring theThis game has the same story as every action movie that has been made in the past thirty years.The action is terrible, the music sounds like it was made in the 80's and the controls are pure The more I played this game the more I really just wanted to return it. The characters are badly writing because they are Asian american stereotypes. You play as a bodyguard what is also marring the daughter of a very respected Asian gang. The problem is that a rival gang has killed your boss an stolen your fiance. That is the most lazy and reused idea EVER!!!!!! Its like zombies and vampires had a baby and the baby was born to play in a kart racer! This game was made just to show off the Wii's motion controls and that's it. This game is horrible and it shows with badly thought out game design and very little effect other than that when you move the Wii mote the sword moves almost a whole ten seconds after your actual movement. Avoid this game at all cost don't buy this for anything less than free. Expand
  5. Jun 25, 2012
    I bought this game after reading about it in Nintendo Power when it first came out. After buying it i found that it was a pretty good game. I see alot of people complaining about this game mostly because of the graphics and how its not realistic like the PS3 or 360. The graphics are good and who cares if it isnt just like real life.The story is good, the motion controls are good and reactsI bought this game after reading about it in Nintendo Power when it first came out. After buying it i found that it was a pretty good game. I see alot of people complaining about this game mostly because of the graphics and how its not realistic like the PS3 or 360. The graphics are good and who cares if it isnt just like real life.The story is good, the motion controls are good and reacts to your movements pretty well.Aiming with the gun is pretty easy and you can even tilt your gun sideways. If you're looking for a good game to play for your Wii Then buy this, but if you are looking for something that has "real-life graphics" then play something else. Expand
  6. Oct 26, 2011
    I played the 2nd game first and I liked it quite a lot, so I thought I would give the first one a try. The first red steel really sucks for me compared to red steel 2. I really liked Red Steel 2 but Red Steel 1 was totally bland compared to number 2. In number 2 you can use the gun and sword any time you want while in red steel 1 you can only use certain things at certain times. SwordplayI played the 2nd game first and I liked it quite a lot, so I thought I would give the first one a try. The first red steel really sucks for me compared to red steel 2. I really liked Red Steel 2 but Red Steel 1 was totally bland compared to number 2. In number 2 you can use the gun and sword any time you want while in red steel 1 you can only use certain things at certain times. Swordplay is also much better in Nr.2 because of Motion Plus. I recommend to anyone to skip one and go straight to 2. You will get the story of 2 without having played 1. Expand
  7. Aug 15, 2010
    Red steel is a hard game for me to review because I liked the game overall, but many of the game's glitches/problems could have been easily fixed. The hook of the game is that it is part shooter part sword fighter, but sadly the sword slinging is clunky and most of the time not much fun. The gun motion controls are also a bit of a problem, while most of the time they work fine some ofRed steel is a hard game for me to review because I liked the game overall, but many of the game's glitches/problems could have been easily fixed. The hook of the game is that it is part shooter part sword fighter, but sadly the sword slinging is clunky and most of the time not much fun. The gun motion controls are also a bit of a problem, while most of the time they work fine some of the time they will freak out and you will start spiraling in a circle for about a second, but keep in mind this is very rare problem (it will happen once or twice the entire game.)The graphics of red steel are not award worthy or great because they are bland, gray, and overall terrible even for a wii game, but there are some decent explosions. Too add to this seemingly never-ending list of problems the story seems to be taken out of a d movie, and while some will laugh at this story other will just skip it altogether. Possibly the largest problem with this game is that it is only 5 hours long with no on line, but since the game now is the price of a wiiware game I guess that isn't a huge problem. Even though all these problems are true and in the game I am giving it a 6 because even though the game has its faults is also has many fun mini games, a variety of weapons, good local multi-player, an original idea, and most of the time fun fast paced shooting action. Now to recap I do not recommend this game to everyone, but to those who can accept its faults should definitely buy the game used or rent it. Expand
  8. Jun 24, 2012
    I feel this game was like a Golden Eye 007 for 64 attempt while adding rails, the game is ok but it put me to sleep quick. I love the original 007 but this game is ridiculous. The controls are crap and i disliked the game all together. Deserves a 4 for effort.
  9. Oct 19, 2015
    To begin with, I got my copy at a pawn store. Since it cost next to nothing (for a console game), I'm not price-quality-ratio biased. Even so, I can relate to the frustration of people who bought it at launch. Had I had my wii seven, eight years ago, woulda been a little disappointed either. But maybe not as much as to have it drowned in a puddle of diarrhea. It's also my first wii fps, soTo begin with, I got my copy at a pawn store. Since it cost next to nothing (for a console game), I'm not price-quality-ratio biased. Even so, I can relate to the frustration of people who bought it at launch. Had I had my wii seven, eight years ago, woulda been a little disappointed either. But maybe not as much as to have it drowned in a puddle of diarrhea. It's also my first wii fps, so I guess you could say I don't know any better.

The game is flawed in many respects, with the katana fights on top of the list. It is easiliy the most crippled in-game mechanic here. But other than that, the control scheme ain't half as bad as I was convinced it would be, having read online reviews. The least them devs could have done was given us an option to somehow skip these mutilated katana duels.

Aside from them, it's not like the motion controls are all good at all times. Every now and then, the camera tends to freak out as if it has gotten dizzy, in later chapters. Or is it just my wii mote losing it? Keeping in mind how crappy the controls were for, say, Medal of Honor for PS1 (doesn't mean I don't like the game), it still is quite convenient, but for occassional wrist strain.

The presentation is decent. Wii may be supposed to be played on a classic tube tv but even if you connect it to a plasma, without an HDMI adapter, it won't make your eyes bleed. It could be better, though. Textures are blurred and the screen resolution leaves much to be desired. The backdrops are sort of claustrophobic for Ubisosft, who came up with the well-acclaimed and pseudo open-world Far Cry two years before (I'm talking the PC version, don't know how they fared with the wii port's 'open worldliness'). By way of contrast, Red Steel is more of a corridor shooter.

NPCs are not the sharpest tools but they do take cover (sometimes), as opposed to what people say on the Internet. But I have seen for myself that, five times out of ten they act like dumb cannon fodder. And they blinking go away, once you get rid of them. Where are the corpses to mutilate with your sword? I want more blood (ha ha ha ha - madman's laughter).

As far as the story is concerned, the game lacks cut scenes. It is a flaw, if you ask me. Events in the plot are presented in the form of picures/ drawings, which reminds me of first two Max Paynes, where you had comic strips to fill you in as for the goings-on between chapters. The thing is Max Payne in-game comic novel was well-made. Sadly, the one in Red Steel is not as good but it kind of does its job. Guess decent cut scenes were too much to ask for at that point, but then again there already had been more stylish cuts scenes for PS1 games.

The story asks you to suspend your disebelief, to say the least:). Although cheesy and cliched, it still is quality-B-movie enough to get you coming back to see what'll happen next. Not as ambitious as Deus Ex, to name one example, but hey, while we are at it - did Far Cry have a good story? I think not. All the same, it did not prevent some reviewers from praising it like it was the best thing since the sliced bread. While the truth of the matter is that the plot in Far Cry was as dumb as could be.

The price will have been slashed by now and Red Steel is no collector's gem. If you can get it for a reasonable price, give it a try. Even for the sake of gaming history, to see for yourselves what might have been, had the motion controls delivered like they were supposed to in first trailers.
  10. Sep 18, 2011
    I didn't enjoy this game at all. The controls are totally not intuitive and don't feel natural for how a samurai would move. The gun is nearly impossible to aim. When get the game and hate it so much that I can't even bare to play it again after the first time, that can't even be considered a game, rather an expensive demo.
  11. DavidPerkins
    Dec 29, 2006
    The lower scores given out by reviewers smacks of nothing more than a review they were forced to rush to cover the Wii launch.

The control system is different, but it's nothing like broken, and those who claim otherwise are simply wrong. The game is very on-rails, but that doesn't damage the otherwise satisfying gun and sword play offered here. It's not going to drop

It's not going to drop any jaws, but this is about as solid a launch FPS title the Wii could have hoped for. There's enough original ideas to call it well above average, and the control system is a real breath of fresh air.

Complaints against the games technical side also seem unfair. Red Steel would be considered an extremely competent and visually impressive Cube title, and given that Ubisoft were working on GC development kits for most of Red Steel's development, they have done a cracking job.

Most notable for me though, is the variety of locations and set pieces, within the games - admittedly straight forward - story, which makes the whole thing feel like an expansive adventure.

Red Steel may not be a system seller, but if you've got a Wii and are looking for some solid FPS action, this is absolutely indispensable.
  12. IordanTonchev
    Feb 13, 2008
    Incredible how gamesites, giving high mark for pretty bad game, are giving so low scores here.
    The game is indeed not reinventing the FPS genre, but it is one really good shooter. Also take into account this is a launch title made to show off the new wii controllers. Also it has some of that Max Payne feeling in it.
    Good grafics (wii wise), fast gameplay, fun controlls, really annoying
    Good grafics (wii wise), fast gameplay, fun controlls, really annoying sword fights.
    Good game, but indeed far from perfect.
  13. DavidGough
    Apr 17, 2008
    I consider this one of the best games I have, not quite the best, but pretty close. I love the swordplay (something I've never seen before in ANY game), I like the graphics, and the very well designed multiplayer.
    My few complaints: too few multiplayer maps, and
    no online play (though not all that many games have this). Even with these complaints, I still think that it is a
    My few complaints: too few multiplayer maps, and
    no online play (though not all that many games have this).
    Even with these complaints, I still think that it is a awesome game.
  14. Maslab
    May 21, 2008
    Fun at first, but sword fights are a pain to start and once you get the controls down, they're just way too easy. The only part I truly like about it is how the gun mechanics work, but the absence of an actual reticle is akward. Really only fun in the beginning, probably just a rental at best, a leave-it-alone in my solemn opinion.
    Points for actually making use of the motion
    Points for actually making use of the motion sensing in a good way.
  15. TomAgius
    Jun 7, 2008
    Red Steel is fast from perfect, but the one thing it has over a lot of other shooters is that it's really, really fun. After I finished the game, I only wanted more, and replayed the whole thing again and I still wasn't sick of it.

I can't wait for the sequel!
  16. DavidP.
    Sep 10, 2006
    I give this game a 9 as I am unsure of the contorls yet, if it replicates the exact movement of the controller to the sword on the screen then it scores a 10 because i think that game would be incredibly fun however if it only has certain places where it replicates i score it a 8, i gave it half way for now because I do not know either one for certain.
  17. JackH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    This game plays like it was rushed out the door. The cut-scenes look like they were produced by interns, the sword scenes are reminiscent of PC games circa 1988 and the controls just don't work. save your money.
  18. JohnK.
    Nov 20, 2006
    This game is horrible! The controls do not work that good and many people will quit right away because of the confusing controls! If you have the patience, then maybe it's worth a rental.
  19. BryanM.
    Nov 20, 2006
    this game is really good, its controls are a little bad but other than that the game is a great wii game if you like killing this may be the game for you. I mean when can you use a sword then a gun in the same game. thats right never.
  20. CH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    The controls are twitchy, the sword fights are boring, the graphics are muddy, and the voice acting is bad (bad for an FPS even). The game had so much potential to be great it's a real heart break to see it fall flat on it's face. I wanted to enjoy this game so much, but I couldn't. For a better FPS on the Wii, check out Call of Duty 3.
  21. ChrisD.
    Nov 21, 2006
    It's a pretty nice looking game with a great soundtrack, but the controls are a little iffy and there are a few glitches. It's not too bad, but not un-noticiable. There are some nice touches though using the controls for certain features such as opening doors and zooming in. The sword fight sequences are the most disappointing though. The sword has a delayed response and is It's a pretty nice looking game with a great soundtrack, but the controls are a little iffy and there are a few glitches. It's not too bad, but not un-noticiable. There are some nice touches though using the controls for certain features such as opening doors and zooming in. The sword fight sequences are the most disappointing though. The sword has a delayed response and is really lacking the fun you get from using the guns. For anyone looking to purchase the game, I found it to be a good introduction to the FPS genre on the Wii. Expand
  22. ScottW.
    Nov 21, 2006
    This game is amazing and well worth the purchase. It can be a little fiddly at the start, but once you know what you are doing, it is very addictive
  23. ChrisH.
    Nov 22, 2006
    Critics are slamming it a little too hard. Dual-analog control sucks anyway, this is paving the way for the Wii's future. Not perfect but pretty fun.
  24. ShaneP.
    Nov 25, 2006
    Great game, ignore all "ugly by gamecube standards" type comments, because this game could not be handled on the cube, much as I love that system. Excellent controls, the only downside is the lack of online multi-player. A great first entry into the new world of immersive FPS.
  25. AntonioJ.
    Nov 27, 2006
    I just beat this game. This game is worth checking out. The graphic (fire, water, rain, particle effects, lighting effects, fog, and textures) are beautiful. No way Deeko. The control are only perfect when you adjust the sensitivity through the Wii and have steady hand. I'm ready for a revolution, what about you.
  26. AnthonyW.
    Nov 28, 2006
    Incredible game that only has one flaw, a steep learning curve the many lack the patience to overcome.
  27. KyleW.
    Dec 2, 2006
    The game is very well put together exept I thought the swordplay could have been more interactive. All in all I highly recommend Red Steel for any FPS fan.
  28. AllistairP.
    Dec 5, 2006
    Decent enough, and sadly in the top 3 launch titles for the Wii. I had a good time with it, and especially enjoyed the controls (although they were buggy). It'd be nice to see a Half-Life caliber shooter with this control set up. Better than COD3, but not as flashy.
  29. ChrisS.
    Dec 6, 2006
    This is a truly bad game, but not for the reasons you most hear. The biggest issue is the completely guided almost rail shooter experience. Your only choices seem to be which gun to use. You cannot choose to use your sword outside of the specifically scripted Sword fights and you can't pull an Indiana Jones and just shoot the guys swinging the sword around. I must agree with everyone This is a truly bad game, but not for the reasons you most hear. The biggest issue is the completely guided almost rail shooter experience. Your only choices seem to be which gun to use. You cannot choose to use your sword outside of the specifically scripted Sword fights and you can't pull an Indiana Jones and just shoot the guys swinging the sword around. I must agree with everyone that the sword controls are a travesty, the story and voice acting a sin, and the guns aren't anywhere as good as "Call of Duty 3" Do yourself a favour and prey for a Star wars Light Saber game. Expand
  30. JonnyT.
    Dec 11, 2006
    I was really hyped for this game but i gotta say i was disappointed. I personally dont mind the bad graphics all that much. But in multiplayer mode, theyre just way too horrible to overlook. youre player's arm doesnt even match with the person youre using! Pretty bad v-acting Controls were alrite but too difficult to explain to my friends for multiplayer mode.

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2006
#3 Most Shared Wii Game of 2006

1. Nintendo Gamer
    It's liquid movement... A massive improvement on previous console FPS control... Not only making excellent use of the Wii's controllers, this is huge fun in its own right. For a launch title to get so much right is an indicator of great things to come. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  2. There are still some minor control issues, and the game is still incredibly inconsistent in terms of visual acuity, but in spite of this Red Steel is still an unquestionably fun game to play.
  3. Red Steel introduces a promising control scheme both for shooting thugs and for slashing them with samurai swords, but wraps it in a buggy, thoroughly unimpressive game.