8.9

1. Jan 26, 2012
    Nintendo always impresses me. Mario Galaxy was the best Mario game i've ever played, it's just really fun. I completed the whole game, and wanted more. I like the graphics, and the planets with yoshi are awesome. I loved playing this game, and deserves a 10. No game is perfect, and this one isn't, but is really really good. If a game was perfect, it would score more than the site maximum, so a 10 is fair. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2010
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    I briefly played "Super Mario Galaxy" in my cousin's house and all I can say is...BRILLIANT. The game looks amazing and well polished for a 2007 game (especially despite the fact that it was on the Wii) and its gameplay was also smooth and addictive for my taste. A epic must-play game.
  4. Jun 4, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy is an excellent game. The graphics are amazing, and with 120 stars to collect, the game will definitely keep the player entertained for a long time. But what I like most about Super Mario Galaxy (and its sequel) is the wide variety of worlds. The idea of Mario traversing through space lets Nintendo keep its options open, so that each galaxy is unique. There are water galaxies, ice galaxies, fire galaxies, grassland galaxies, and much more. I do wish accessing the galaxies was easier, though. It takes forever to get to the higher observatories. Also, there are WAY too many Purple Coin missions. Things get slightly repetitive around the endgame. But altogether, Super Mario Galaxy is a very enjoyable experience that I would recommend to anyone and everyone. Expand
  5. Nov 24, 2011
    Mario galaxy was the only reason i bought a wii, so if you are a wii owner, you shouldn't , miss it. From the music, the level design, the gravity, etc, etc, this game is a MASTERPIECE.
  6. Aug 30, 2010
    This game is the best game on the wii. Truly excellent graphics and gameplay. There is tons and tons of things to do and just keeps you coming back for more.
  7. Nov 24, 2011
    I can't really fault this game. It is seriously good. Mario was always a series that I enjoyed as a kid, but I never really got into properly. Until Galaxy. It is one of the best looking games out there (yes, that does include ALL consoles) and is a joy to play from start to finish. Yes it is more linear than Mario 64, but I think it's a better game because of it. The motion controls work well when used, it's reasonably easy, but not to say, Kirby levels it probably won't really challenge those who have played older Mario games (those are tough as nails). Anybody who has any sense will enjoy this game. Mario has increased in quality, which is something very special as I have not played a Mario game which does not deserve a score less than a nine out of ten. If you don't have it, buy it!!! Expand
  8. Feb 7, 2012
    This is easily the best game on the Wii. The graphics are impressive and the environments are varied. The gameplay and music are amazing. The motion controls were responsive and easy. This is a game for everyone.
  9. Jan 4, 2011

Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  10. Jun 5, 2011
    Amazing, that word poorly describes how wonderful this game really are. I start to play just now, 3 years past the launch and the game still is very fresh and not became old.
    I can't speak anymore. I gonna play!
  11. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = One of the greatest platformers of all-time!!
  12. Mar 23, 2013
    Wholly original and infinetly fun. Perhaps one of the best games ever. I think I'm gonna buy it again. It controls like the best of all marios yet it's platforming is ultra complicated technically. But it controls so well that it all seems so simple.
  13. Jan 15, 2011
    Anyone giving it a bad review, oh come on! You're either one of them COD fanboys, guys who don't even own a Nintendo System, trolls, you found the game too hard or you can't appreciate a game. If you don't like the plot, then you should probably read a book or something. Videogames obviously aren't your thing. This game doesn't even need a good plot, and I'd be upset if it was anything else. If it was something else, it won't work one bit and the game would be pointless. *Cough* (Sonic The Hedgehog) *Cough*. I mean, the Galaxies have variety, are very pretty, have a really good challenge and do not force you to complete the mission. The hub world is fun to walk around in. It stays true to its roots and throws its new ideas around. Oh, and if you're going to call it "Mario 64 in space", well, Halo Reach is Halo in Space. COD is pretty much always in Russia. Tetris is always well, Tetris. I only have one criticism though, and it's that running through to Bowser on your first go is too easy. While the galaxies are original, it gets repeated a lot. This isn't restricted to children. It's for everyone and the only people I see disliking this are technophobes, COD fanboys, people who only use videogames to do yoga, ride horses, etc. and politicians. Mario doesn't need a gun or killing Nazis to be awesome. Not quite perfect, but man is this game good. Own a Wii? Don't have this game? What is wrong with you? Expand
  14. Nov 10, 2011
    tl;dr: This game has excellent graphics, gameplay, and music. One of the best for the wii. ____________________________Borg's Super Mario Galaxy Review__________________________ So here it is, Super Mario Galaxy. Metacritic's 2007 game of the year. Does it hold a candle to it's reception? Let's see. ________________________________________________________________________________ Graphics: Super Mario Galaxy, despite being on the graphically weakest console of this generation, couldn't be aesthetically improved much. The models are extremely smooth, and the textures don't stretch too often. The water, sheen, lighting, among other graphical elements, all look very well done, making Mario Galaxy one of the best (if not the best) looking games on the Wii.
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Sound: The soundtrack for Mario Galaxy is orchestrated, and every single level is brought to life by the epic, fitting music. It synergizes perfectly with the graphics and gameplay elements taking place on the screen. Certainly one of Koji Kondo's best works.
    Gameplay: Here's where we get down to the most important element; the gameplay. Super Mario Galaxy's gameplay is nothing less than perfect. You're not bombarded with a slew of glitches ( if there any glitches at all) and the difficulty level is very well perfect, also. Let me explain.. There are several ways of beating the game. You can simply get the minimum 60 stars and beat bowser. There are 120 different missions in the game, so you have alot of variety. But for the hardcore gamers, one can complete all 120 missions, unlock "Super Luigi Galaxy", get all 121 stars in that mode, and then get the last star from the special mission in mario's mode. So much for hardcore gamers to do, and enough for casuals.
    Replayability: See "Gameplay"

Overall: Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best Wii games, and should be in every Wii owners collection.
  15. Apr 5, 2011
    10.Sin duda, un muy buen juego. No defrauda técnicamente, la banda sonora es genial, tiene un control preciso y ajustado y una dificultad muy bien nivelada. Además es largo, te asegura unas 40 horas de juego completártelo. 242 estrellas difíciles pero posibles.
  16. Jul 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is probably one of the best for the Mario series, the characters are really cool, the gameplay is absolutely stunning, and the graphics are out of this world. The game is really long, especially if you try t grab every green star in order to play as luigi. People always compare 3D Mario games to Mario 64, but this is where games are really compared. Expand
  17. Jan 31, 2012
    This entire game can be summarized in three words: a true masterpiece. I enjoyed it's sequel a lot, but the plumber's first galaxy adventure is arguably even better. Gorgeous graphics and a sweeping, beautiful orchestral score heighten the sheer greatness. Sure, the story is ok (you know, Bowser kidnaps Peach; but this time, he wants to rule the universe), but no one really plays a Mario platformer for the story; they play it for nostalgia and creative, original gameplay. Not only is Super Mario Galaxy one of the best Wii games (up there with Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Paper Mario), it's also one of the greatest games ever to grace the video game market. Expand
  18. Jun 10, 2011
    Its no Mario 64 opr Super Mario Bros but it is reall fun game, it has pretty good graphics for a wii game , it has some moments that are just ok and it is going around planets in space which is weird, but its mario and it is lots of fun
  19. RJV
    Oct 8, 2011
    As far as the Wii goes, this is the second best game there is, the best being Galaxy 2, and it deserves that place. You can see the classic Mario in it, and there are loads of new stuff. The controls are pretty much perfect, and the only problems i have are accidentally activating the spin attack by shaking the Wii remote, and the Red-Star flying power-up has awful handling. After you beat the main story, which is easy, but if you quit a Mario-game after just completing the main story you're doing wrong, there is a lot of game-play afterwards. There some small flaws of course, but they are all fixed in galaxy 2, the best game ever. Expand
  20. Sep 4, 2011
    I gotta admit, some of these levels are easy, but that flaw is backed up with an amazing soundtrack, almost perfect graphics, and unique game play. The levels are highly unique, something that most games lack.
  21. Jan 26, 2012
    Mario rules the gaming world and this is a reminder of it. Ignore what trolls say this game is amazing and not buying it would be a crime for any true gamer.
  22. Jan 1, 2012
    This was the first game on Wii that wowed me. Everything comes together beautifully: the controls, the music, the graphics, the unbelievable level design. A modern day masterpiece.
  23. Nov 26, 2011
    This is not close to the plumber we fell in love with in super mario bros. He has strayed extremley far away from his original concept that its sad. This series may have the graphics but it lacks tht true mario gameplay we all used to love....... Sigh...:(
  24. Jan 29, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy has good graphics, and a memorable storyline that has changed the way we look at Mario more as a character. The only complaints I have are that the camera angles are abysmal, and some levels are more frustrating than challenging. All in all, it is a must-have game for the Wii.
  25. Mar 9, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy is THE BEST GAME on the wii. it takes Super Mario Galaxy and does what no one thought it could. it made it even better. it fixes just about every one of the small problems i had with Galaxy 1 and fixes them. plus there are new additions such as a bag full of new power ups and of course Yoshi, the dinosaur that everybody loves. my biggest complaint about Galaxy 1 was that many of the boss fights were the same. Galaxy 2's boss fights are much better, but the final boss is still too short, too easy, and just disappointing over all. the rest of the game is also quite easy except for the perfect run (god dammit that took me forever to beat) and also the number of save files you can create has been reduced from 6 in the original to 3 in this game. not a major problem it just might be an issue if you have a family of gamers. Now i know MANY gamers will skip this game simply because its on the wii. but please, play this game. you won't regret it. and it is well worth the $50. i've been wondering whether to give this game a 9/10 or a perfect 10/10. i was reluctant to give it a perfect score because there were a few microscopic problems existing. but then i realized that a perfect video game doesn't, and never will, exist. every game no matter how amazing will have small bugs. but even if a perfect game doesn't exist, Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes pretty damn close. Expand
  26. Mar 27, 2012
    The game off the bat is spectacular. The beginning is very compelling, and through out the game you get wondoures surprises. The bosses are filled with adreneline and the game is addicting in general. I think this game had a lot of thought into it, and to this day I still play it. One word to explain this game? EPICC!!!!
  27. Jun 12, 2013
    Best game ever made!!!! Incredible level design, awesome music, and amazing power ups all enhance the fantastic gameplay! Super Mario Galaxy is the best game I have ever played and I dont think anything will ever top it!
  28. Jul 18, 2013
    Since Super Mario 64 we didnĀ“t associate Mario to a perfect game until this game came out. Brilliant technically, really funny, new, fresh, and long. It will take you several months to get the 242 stars that the game has. Difficulty is high but reasonable, and every level surprise you in a different way.
  29. Aug 29, 2013
    This game is the grand masterpiece! Beautiful music and levels. Fantastic new Mario character: Princess Rosalina! This is the best game of all time besides Ocarina of Time! I wish, I'll be in one of these levels, because it's like dreaming... And chilling by these beautiful musics. It also features a emotional story about Rosalina's past. Finally a Mario game with story! It's Perry Rhodan in Mario style! Expand
  30. Oct 19, 2013
    Esse jogo e muito bom,por causa de sua dificudade,historia,etc... mas tem uns que dizem que e ruim esse jogo maravilhoso jogo de wii.
  31. Dec 3, 2013
    Pure perfection. That's all there is to be said. The power ups are amazing and really enhance the gameplay, and each level brings on something new, creative, and challenging. Super Mario Galaxy is a must have for anyone who has a wii, or anyone who appreciates video games, for that matter.
  32. Dec 22, 2013
    I'm just going to start off by saying, this game is freaking amazing. The only people that have any reason not to like it are people who think anything without perfect graphics is bad. And even though the graphics aren't that great, if Nintendo gave it super amazing graphics, would it even feel like a mario game? No, no it wouldn't! And even though the graphics aren't insane, they still look friggin pretty. And if you hate on it because your too "hardcore" for mario or it's too "easy", then you are allergic to fun. Isn't that what games set out to do? Give you a fun game to play? Hell, I almost cried with joy when I first beat the game! And that's one of the beauty of the game itself. Does it have replay value? No, not really. But if you want to complete the full game, it'll take you a pretty long while anyway. What I'm trying to say, is if you have a Wii, then you're probably not going to get much more hardcore than this anyway. But, if it just happens that you have a Wii, then this is an absloute MUST HAVE. And I can't tell you how amazing the music is, either. It fits every location perfectly. I don't know what those developers were smoking, but whatever it is, I want some. Some people say that it gets a little too heavy at times (specifically boss fights), but here's two reasons or rather, objections to that. If it's too loud or whatever, there's probably a volume switch on your TV. Also, most of the time, I at least, am too immersed in the game to even notice the music. But if it wasn't there, then it would be empty and silent. The level design is fantastic, the music is pheonamonal, and the gameplay is near perfect. I'm just here to say, I REALLY FRICKING LOVE THIS GAME. If you have a Wii, about 20 bucks, and a craving for fun, then this is a MUST HAVE. Expand
  33. DME
    Aug 11, 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy is a mixed bag. It beats Super Mario Sunshine but still hasn't quite lived up to the same standard that Super Mario 64 set. Sometimes the game is fun and addicting but it also has it's moments of boredom.
    Graphics: 9/10 Nice visuals and effects
    Sound: 10/10 Everything sounds 100% Mario
    Story: 7/10 The princess gets kidnapped for the 3 billionth time.

Gameplay: 9/10 Fun with a few bland spots.
    Overall Score: 9/10 A nice addition to the Wii library.
  34. Jul 15, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy is quite simply, one of my favorite video games of all time. My expectations for this game were skyward, in fact, I sold my Gamecube to buy a Wii because I knew I couldn't just miss Mario's next adventure. So its easy to imagine the grateful feelings of excitement when the game shipped and I played it for the first time. It is so rare when I game comes and immediately fulfills all the powerful emotions running for it, but Galaxy fulfilled all I wanted for a next generation Mario back in 2007. It controlled beautifully, It looked beautifully, it sounded beautifully, everything, for a fact, was simply beautiful. But hexed of all the fanaticism that could have possibly propelled my enjoyment throughout my first play-through, the real meat for it to be so impossibly good, and the reason I consider it one of the best games of all time is its masterful creativeness. Galaxy´s levels are some of the most creative work Nintendo has ever done, and coming from a company which´s actual milestone is precisely that, "inventiveness", calling Galaxy a highlight is some serious praise. Galaxy squished all the ingredients that makes Mario games such memorable experiences, while at the same time being new and innovative with its whole gravitational effects. It was the best marriage of old and new, one that only exhibits a sense of perfection. Its only flaw may be that for its short story the game is merely easy, but those who tend to complete this mastery of game design will find plenty of challenge, and a highly entertaining game as well. This is a Nintendo masterpiece. Expand
  35. Aug 17, 2010
    Mario galaxy is a near perfect game, the gameplay is perfect, the sound is perfect, the graphics are exactly the way I like them, and the controls are perfect. Sadly though the game has the same problem as every Mario game, bad story, bad multiplayer, and easy difficulty, but other then that it's a perfect game that anyone can enjoy. Mario galaxy is a game were no level is the same, and all the level have there own hook. In some levels your a bee, and in other your swimming in squid infested water. I am also happy to report every level is fun, so for the 8 hours that it takes you to beat the game you'll enjoy every second of it. Like I said the game is 8 hours long but with great replay value you could play 30 hours like me. Expand
  36. Sep 29, 2010
    Whenever you are tired of the same genre that repeats itself and steadily drops in creativity, rely on Nintendo to make something the opposite of that. Galaxy is the most ambitious Mario game that Nintendo has ever made yet. Perfect controls as expected, ingenious level designs, jaw dropping graphics that rivals other games offered on the 360 or PS3 and amazing replay value. It's a bit easier than previous Mario games but you need this on your Wii collection. Expand
  37. Sep 16, 2010
    I remember getting my pre-order copy of this game. I was so excited to play it and it was definitely worth 50 dollars. the game is super mario 64 in space, although it was a bit short. One of the greatest experiences i've had in my life.
  38. Nov 8, 2012
    Perfection. If there was a bible on game design this game should be on the cover. Perfect controls that make a good use of the unique features of the wii remote.
    Perfect level design that never felt like backtracking and was always compelling and challenging but without being frustrating nor extremely easy.
    Perfect art design and the best graphics on the system.
    Perfect music,
    orchestrated classic melodies from other Mario games.

Best game of a generation.
  39. Nov 13, 2011
    It was hard to find reasons not to give Galaxy a 10, it's fun, inventive, pretty but unfortunately the level design can be incredibly frustrating. but that should not hold you back from purchasing this magnificent title.
  40. Feb 7, 2014
    Another amazing piece of platforming genius from Nintendo. Like most modern Mario games, it can be quite clinical at times. But for gameplay and fun, there's little better
  41. Oct 18, 2010
    This game is probably one of the best single player Wii games on the market. I have not tried SMG2 yet, but despite the useless secrets of the game, this game has perfect difficulty, amazing level design truly more innovative compared to generic maps like Halo (seriously), and it has a consistent storyline even if it requires saving Princess Peach over and over again from previous (and future) games. This game proves that you do not need HQ graphics or complex gameplay to really have a good time. Expand
  42. Oct 8, 2013
    The greatest Nintendo character of all time gets the best game series ever created in the form of Super Mario Galaxy.

These games are so well crafted and fun that it might be the closest thing to a 'perfect rating' a game could ever get. Everything from the fantastic level design, worlds, characters and beautiful graphics to the breathtaking scope and Bosses makes this one of the very
    best games of all time! It well deserves the attention it gets and as always, I can't wait for Nintendo's next instalment in the Mario franchise. Expand
  43. Nov 20, 2010
    This is brilliant. Fact. There is just so much to cherish, it's just an amazing game. The level design itself is in-genius, Miyamoto and his team have really stretched their imaginations with this game. There is just some amazing levels on offer which I think needs to be played. The orchestral music works like a dream, Kondo and his fellow composers must be credited, the tracks are just stunning, and really set the atmosphere really well, you've just got to love "Gusty Garden Galaxy" tune. Brilliant track. And that's not all, there are many other fine tunes. I must admit, for a Wii game, it's looks fabulous. Most games on the Wii don't show the graphical power like this. The only flaws are it's too short, easy and a hollow storyline. Still, that doesn't really affect it. Get it. Expand
  44. Nov 15, 2010
    Kids, this is really one of the bestest games. Lots of fun here! The games starts with a beautiful cut-scene with no voice acting and SPACESHIPS. Big improvement from that sunshine game amirite? The graphics are also great with lots of variety: space, space, and moar! Music is the good. Level design is the greatest. It like Mario 64 on a LINEAR PATH! GENIUS! Its also very hard. Sometimes, its so hard that I could swear it wasn't my fault that I went into that black hole (NOT BOTTOMLESS PITS). Gravity iz also a fun. Theres only so many uses of it and this game haz the MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Control and camera are OUT OF TEH WORLDS. So much it's almost like I'm not even controlling Moreo at all! Control haz the everything. Momentum based long-jumps from 64, SUPER spin detection, complete camera control, AND YOU HAZ DAT JUMP!

There is nothing wrong with this game at all. Great gameplay, great instruction booklet.
  45. Dec 1, 2010
    This is not as good galaxy 2 but it's still so awesome! I love this but I can see why people don't like this because of the gavity gimics but I like it. I can't wait for the next generation consols and mario game!
  46. Dec 13, 2010
    This very well could be the bet game on the Wii. It has amazing graphics, music, gameplay, control, and design. The ideas are very original and is a blast to play, albeit a little too easy to beat the main story. However, there is plenty to do afterwards. This game will have you coming back for more and more. PLAY IT.Amazing graphics, fun for the whole family, but more towards the kids.TOO SHORT TOO EASY! Everything else is GREAT about this game. I saved princess but i have still 1000 stars to collect." Hope next mario comes soon cos sunshine was so good and whit sunshine mixed whit galaxy it would be the game of the year or bigger! AMAZING Expand
  47. Dec 15, 2010
    What the **** is wrong with people giving a masterpiece below 8?!Are they retarded?!This game is just the best game ever!!(some people disagree because they are Zelda fanboys and didn't play this masterpiece).The gameplay uses traditional 3D epicness!Is just SM64 in space!And it fits like bread with butter!The graphics are flashy and colorful(just like most Mario games).Some classic Mario tunes are back and the music is just great.This game is not great!THIS GAME IS MASTERFUL!A PERFECT 10! Expand
  48. Jun 30, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy, released way back in 2007 to much critical acclaim. As I will detail, this is a must-by for any Wii owner. Plot As is the case with most Mario games, the story element isn't heavily emphasized, but it is much more present in Galaxy. The game begins with Mario being invited by Princess Peach to the castle to celebrate the once-a-century Star Festival. Upon arrival, you are presented with a scene of joy: Star Bits raining down from the sky, which are then happily picked up by Toads. As you near the castle, the illusion of happiness is shattered as Bowser shows up once again and warps Peach and her castle into orbit. Mario attempts to rescue her, but is foiled by one of Bowser's Magikoopa henchman. Mario later awakens on a small planetoid, on which he meets Rosalina, who then bestows upon Mario the "Spin" ability. She then tells Mario that Bowser has stolen the Power Stars that power her Comet Observatory, rendering it immobile. With his new found power, Mario sets off to restore the Observatory's power and rescue the Princess!

Gameplay and Controls

The gameplay and controls for Mario games generally do not vary much, so you know what to expect. However, there are a few new additions to both though. Controls:
    [center]
    A-Jump
    Z-Crouch
    Control Pad-Camera
    B-Shoot a Star Bit
    Shake Wii Remote/Nunchuk-Spin attack
    C-reset camera position
    Pointer-Gather Star Bits, activate Pull Stars, etc.

Some of the newer elements unique to Galaxy include Mario's new Spin ability, which is essentially his melee attack. Its other uses include extending the distance of his jump and activating Launch Stars, among other things. The next new feature is quite interesting; unlike in past Mario games, falling off of the edge of the level doesn't always spell the end for our plumber. Many planets have their own gravitational pull, allowing you to circumnavigate their entire body. This allows for many new and interesting gameplay scenarios which definitely add to the game's appeal. As you would have expected, Galaxy introduces several new power-ups, each bringing its own new additions to the classic Super Mario gameplay. You will find no slouching in this well crafted department.

Graphics and Sound

These are always a great highlight of Mario titles. Their ability to push the limits of their system's and present us with both a graphical and musical feast. Galaxy's graphics are among the best of the Wii, showcasing many brilliant landscapes, textures and particle effects. Never once are you disappointed by an area that could have been improved. In compliment to this, the soundtrack is also incredible. There are many great orchestrated pieces, as well as the return of many enhanced retro themes, such as an iconic piece from Super Mario Bros. 3. The music is a joy to listen to and makes an already great game even better. I found the Toy Time Galaxy theme to be particularly memorable.

As you can see, Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii, nay, ever. Its additions to the classic Mario formula, and that which remains as before, make this a truly special and nearly perfect game. Upon buying this masterpiece, you shall not be disappointed.
  49. Feb 26, 2011
    The best game on wii. Mario's space adventure is Very fun. Basic 3-d platforming is mixed with Beautiful graphics and great puzzles . His quest to save you-know-who is easy, yet long, just the way it should be. Rarley did it feel frustrating, just enjoyable. How ever, trying to get all 200 is f------- impossible. A great game from start to end.
  50. Jun 1, 2011
    A wonderful adventure awaits you in this awesome game. Mario still has his tricks on it, and Nintendo did one of the best games on their classic masterpiece. Since Mario 64 , i havent played any other cool game from the franchise ( I never played mario Sunchine) any way , the graphics are bright,colorful,intense, the gameplay is fine. Also , this really makes the true potential as for Mario Galaxy 2 , truly epic. Expand
  51. Apr 27, 2011
    Great game! It hjas some average and easy levels. Fun for kids of all ages. I do wish it would get harder towards later in the game. Like ones that make me stumped.
  52. Jan 20, 2013
    All I can say is this is a great game ...despite it's childish approach. "SUPER MARIO GALAAAAAXY" in an annoying pitchy voice at the startup screen just burns me with annoyance. However, the gameplay is great great great.
  53. Apr 26, 2011
    Fun Game. A new twist on the Mario games. really kind of fun but sm64 was the best of the series in my opinion. If you own a wii this is a must have though. Really unique and the graphics are really superb.
  54. Jan 31, 2013
    The main games in the Mario series have a long standing reputation as being amongst the best of their generation and Mario Galaxy is no exception. As the name suggests this new outing takes Mario away from the Mushroom kingdom and high into the stars above. Despite this the game still features a number of instantly recognizable enemies and power-ups while still having more than a few new tricks up its sleeve.

Following a brief intro, in which Bowser yet again kidnaps Peach, Mario finds himself inside a giant space ship which acts as the games hub (much like the castle did in Mario 64). Access to different galaxies/levels gradually open up as you progress with each containing six or seven challenges of varying difficulty. Many of these levels are completely unique and the game never seems to run out of new ways to challenge and entertain the player. As you would expect the platforming itself is second to none and the controls quickly become second nature allowing for precision control. Every time you die you know it is your fault rather than the games.

Perhaps wisely Super Mario Galaxy only makes limited use of the Wii's motion controls. Star bits, that help earn extra lives, can be collected by pointing while some boss fights require the player to deflect projectiles back at the enemy. All in all then this is an excellent addition to the Mario series and one of few games on the Nintendo Wii than can be enjoyed by both casual and hardcore gamers.
  55. May 26, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy is most definitely the best game on Wii. It's one of the very few games which I can respect as a medium and even a piece of art, albeit as a video game.

The levels each have their own fun twist, and the graphics are lush. The soundtrack is truly awe-inspiring, with grand orchestra melodies to electro-bops.

Although some levels are fairly straight-forward, most give a
    sense of achievement for completing them.

Galaxy is certainly "King of the Platformers", and this game serves greatly for long-time Mario fans. Pick this up along with Super Mario Galaxy 2 for some of the most fantastic games ever created.
  56. Oct 18, 2011
    this is better than thwe sequel in every way, and same graphics and stuff, and my fav space themed game...

yeah... kay that was a dumb thing toi say...

98%
  57. Nov 1, 2011
    My personal favorite title for the Nintendo Wii console. Super Mario Galaxy has mechanics during the game play that will absorb all gravity like a black hole. The levels with the shooting stars, galaxy music that makes you feel like your a floating Mario out in space, and over all level designs that will pull you into the game like never before. This game revolutionized Platformers for all future generations. I loved it and collected all the stars even with Luigi. Fun fun and more fun! Highly Recommended!!! Expand
  58. Nov 8, 2011
    This game looks great. There are some pretty good reflection effects in the water and the crystals, all the old characters and enemies are more detailed than ever before and the new ones fit in.
    The camera system doesn't give you much control over which direction it's facing and at times takes it away completely, but the game usually does a very good job with the camera. However, there
    were two times when the camera spontaneously decided that it would be a great help to me to have a wall blocking out my sight of Mario, nearly causing me to fall down into a black hole.
    The soundtrack mostly consists of original compositions, although there are a few remixes of older Mario tunes, namely the original Super Mario Bros. theme and the Super Mario Bros. 3 theme, both of which I prefer to the originals.
    There are some tracks which would seem out of place in any other Mario game but feel right at home in Galaxy. Some tracks are dynamic, as in, they change depending on what you're doing. For example, one track plays with different instruments when you're underwater.
    The game has the same basic story as all the previous Mario games: Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to go and rescue her. The biggest differences are the setting (space), Rosalina and that we get to know Bowser's motives.
    There's also a bit of back story about the Star Festival that's being celebrated at the beginning of the game and the much more important Rosalina's storybook, which is the only part of the game with any character development. It's probably the most mature story told by a Mario game in the main franchise (although that doesn't say much).
    The controls are rather simple, although movement takes a little getting used to when you're doing it upside-down.The biggest change is the integration of motion controls into the game, which it does rather unobtrusively. You shake the Wii Remote to do a spin attack, you point at the screen to grab star bits or grab a pull star and you press B while pointing at the screen to throw the star bits, and that's the full extent of the motion controls while playing the main game.
    There are also some galaxies with different controls that only use the motion controls to perform actions such as manta surfing, ball rolling and moving bubbles by blowing air at them. The motion controls are implemented well into these actions. The only one I have a problem with is the manta surfing one, where you control the manta by twisting the Wii Remote left and right, and if you do it too fast, the game interprets it as a shake, which is a jump when you're manta surfing. This can lead to deaths that could have been easily avoided by having more traditional controls in these segments.
    The ball rolling segments are much less obtrusive, and the only problem I have with it is that it's hard to stop, which you do by holding the Wii Remote upright, but this is a pretty minor complaint. It would have been improved by being controlled with the analog stick, but it's better than the manta surfing stages, since the game only uses the motion controls for rolling the ball, so you won't be making any accidental jumps.
    The bubble stages are definitely the best of the three. Mario is trapped inside a bubble which you can move by blowing air at it, an action which involves pointing at the screen and pressing A to blow air at it from the on-screen cursor. I never once felt that these segments would have been better by using the analog sicks, and they might even be better with the motion controls.
    Thanks to the addition of planetoids and gravity, Super Mario Galaxy features some of the most creative level design in years. There is an entire planetoid shaped like a question mark, one shaped like an 8-bit Mario and one shaped like Yoshi's head.
    Just like previous Mario games, whenever you get a star, you get taken back to the hub world. However, unlike previous Mario games, when you go back to the same galaxy to get the next star, the world is significantly changed (although there are a few exceptions), which makes it feel like there's a real reason to have to go back.The boss battles are usually like a sort of final exam on some skill you learned, usually earlier within the same galaxy. This time around there are less bosses that are just bigger versions of smaller enemies, and there are small changes in their behaviour after hitting them enough times to make the fight slightly harder, such as bringing smaller enemies to help them out.
  59. Nov 20, 2011
    Mario's definitive adventure on the Nintendo Wii is a gem. The story in Super Mario Galaxy is very simple yet sort of compelling. The controls in the game are flawless as you leap and bound all over the universe. The concept of walking on a spherical object and eventually walking upside down is great. The level design in this game is astonishing. You could say that the gameplay possibilities are endless. For me at least, the only problem with the game was that after you beat the main boss, I was not compelled to collect any more stars, although the additional galaxies were some of the expertly crafted ones. This is the first Mario game to have an orchestral score, and I gotta say its amazing. It adds so much to the wonderment of the great beyond you play in. If I were to give a proper score to this game it would be a 9.6. Expand
  60. Nov 16, 2011
    Excellent in every department for me, with great graphics, great sound, and great levels. Add to those things with good controls and that Nintendo magic and creativity, and you have this masterpiece.
  61. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is what all game are designed to ultimately do: be fun and enjoyable. It's been a while since I've played a game that was this fun and exciting. Galaxy offers beautiful graphics, great dynamic gameplay, new innovation to the Mario franchise and a solid 35+ hours of gameplay. I would highly recommend to all Wii owners. One of the top games of this generation
  62. Nov 18, 2011
    Nintendo brings back the Mario classic to the Nintendo Wii with Super Mario Galaxy! Super Mario Galaxy goes back to similar roots as Super Mario 64, distancing itself in terms of gameplay from Super Mario Sunshine, exploration has never been better. Although its different from Sunshine, the gameplay does have the same basic controls except the use of FLUDD, you have the wii mote to use to spin attack and to target falling star shards. Fans of the Mario series will surely enjoy this instant classic as the storyline is lighthearted, music score is one of the best ever made, gameplay is fluid, graphics are dream like! Expand
  63. Jun 10, 2012
    The controls became second nature and added extra effect to the game. Any body that didn't give this game 100/100/10/10 probably didn't beat the entire game. When I saw i could replay the game with Luigi I thought it would be stupid and pointless. That was not the case. It was a far different experience from Mario which made playing thru the game a second time just as fun as the first. The last bonus level was a good reward too. The only thing bad that comes from this game is I will probably never find a game that can offer as much thrill as this one. Expand
  64. Nov 27, 2011
    The visuals are astonishing and well fitted for the Wii. The game is fun and satisfying and the environment is divers but not anything new to the Mario franchise. Other then this, the number one problem is the insanely easy difficulty. You will need no guide or any particular skill to beat this game. Which is a downer for the more game advanced people. But it is still worth buying just to see the wonders of Mario in 3D. Expand
  65. Nov 27, 2011
    This is perfection in gaming, delivered as only Nintendo know how. Music, graphics, and the ever-changing gameplay make this game very hard to stop playing. There is plenty of fanboy service with characters and old tunes revamped. There is nothing you could do to make this a better game. It is sheer perfection, and thoroughly deserving of my 10 rating. There are complaints that it is too easy, and certain boss fights are WAY too easy, but this does not detract from the game at all. Those complaints are dealt with in SMG2 anyways. Expand
  66. Feb 15, 2013
    One of the best video games of all time! This is how all mario platformers should be! My favorite mario game ever! There's no other game like this! Except the less than steller sequal, lol get it? I know you do
  67. Dec 12, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games on Wii for a vast variety of reasons. From the bright colourful graphics to the absolutely astounding gameplay, Galaxy took me in its arms and drove me through an epic adventure of hop-and-bop wonder.

The graphics are utterly amazing, pushing the hardware to its limits- we have high polygon models, deep and well defined textures and a bright and
    cheery colour palette. The orchestrated music adds to this deeply atmospheric and space-driven world, with themes to fit every Galaxy you visit.

But the gameplay is where this game truly comes into its own- with a good challenge and plenty of variety in the platforming puzzles you must overcome, I was really amazed. The tight controls lent themselves to the mind-warping gravity-based platforming. In addition, there is a ton of content in this game- with 120 stars spread over 40 or so galaxies, you won't be putting this game down in a hurry!

This game is a joy to play- from the adventurous levels based on exploration to some of the trickiest platforming this side of Shinobi, I can utterly recommend Super Mario Galaxy! Play it now, if you haven't already :)
  68. Dec 25, 2011
    One of the best games on the Wii, beautiful, adventurous and a bright torch for the future of the Super Mario platform series. The control scheme takes some time to feel comfortable with. When you are comfortable, prepare for the gaming experience few games are able to deliver.
  69. Dec 30, 2012
    With it's beautiful graphics, the orchestrated score, the influential gameplay, Super Mario Galaxy captures a sense of magic unseen in the Mario world recently.
  70. Jan 8, 2012
    I cannot understand people who have written a bad review, with a score lower than 8. I love Super Mario old style; there were a lot of Mario's games, for NES, SNES, GB...without forgetting New Super Mario bros Wii...But now, with the power of the Wii, I think they had a wonderful idea. Super Mario Galaxy is almost perfect: the first stars are a little bit easy to take, but then become increasingly difficult; there are beatiful levels and scenary, different types of difficulties,news skills, a lot of stars (several hidden),excellent graphics, and it's a game that take you many many hours,if you want take all stars...it's not A game.........it's THE GAME!!!!!!! Thank you Shigeru Miyamoto and Saturu Iwata (and all Nintendo Team)!! Expand
  71. May 16, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games on the Wii. The gamplay, sound, and design is excellent and replayability is high. Sure, there are some problems but still is a wonderful game!! I give it a 95.
  72. Jul 16, 2012
    Quite possibly Mario's finest adventure. Extremely creative & brilliant level design, fun new power-ups, fantastic orchestral themes, charming story and plenty of content make this not only one of the best games on Wii, but one of the best game's ever made.
  73. Feb 25, 2014
    I've been a gamer for a large portion of my life. I've played basically every single genre of video game at least once. I've mowed down demons in doom and scored hole in ones in Wii golf. With that as subtext for this review, I believe that I should get out of the way the fact that the original Super Mario Galaxy and it's sequel are tied for my personal favorite game of all time. That's an incredibly forward statement, I know, but there are so few things I can even fathom to nit-pick out of the game that I won't even bother to try. The game-play is spectacular with controls so impossibly refined that Mario constantly feels like an extension of my own body, making even the seemingly impossible levels entirely plausible. Whilst the game starts out reasonably easy, Nintendo's mastery of well constructed difficulty curves begins to shine about a quarter of the way through. Often an after thought in games, the music of Super Mario Galaxy is not only one of it's best aspects, it is (in my opinion) the single greatest soundtrack to be found in a video game. Once again, I understand what that statement means, but seriously, have you heard this stuff? I'm not lying, if you haven't heard this games sound track, you have not lived yet. It's an amazing mix of stirring orchestrations and rhythmic compositions. I could gush over this game for absolutely ages, but unfortunately, I have to go and replay it again because I'm suffering from withdrawal. All I can say is if you haven't played this game, go out to your nearest game retailer, and buy it. If you don't have the system to play it, then go buy one of those to (you can buy a Wii for basically the same price as the game now after all those price drops). Go. Do it now. I'm serious, go. Expand
  74. Jul 29, 2012
    The greatest space adventure video game I ever play.When all the light of the planetarium comes I feel a different feeling of the game;and it changes while I advanced it.A good plot and difficulty of the levels.
  75. Jul 31, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy is one of the 2 games that in my opinion is absolutely PERFECT. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!
    People say this is a terrible game I disagree. Those guys are call of duty fanboys.
  76. Feb 21, 2013
    A really beatuiful and innovative game, that reinvents the mario franchise once again. There was the original, then mario 64, and now, mario galaxy is the next revolutionary turn in the franchise. The games design is extremely creative and intuitive, the controls are perfect, and the game feels fresh and new. The graphics are also good, especially on the given hardware. This game is an amazing wii title, and one very easily reccomendable. Expand
  77. Sep 2, 2012
    This is pretty much the only game that I sat for 3 straight days playing and beat. It was worth it though because at the time the Wii was temporary and I had to get this epic game in. Super Mario Galaxy is almost as magical as Mario 64, which means a whole hell of a lot. This game is not just for young kids, it is truly a challenging and downright fun game to play, one of the best the Wii has to offer. If you own a Wii I am sure you already played this game, if you haven't your missing out. Expand
  78. Sep 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In brief, the narrative revolves around Mario collecting Power Stars by flying to various Galaxies from six different domes within the Comet Observatory that act as way points to them. These Stars fuel the Observatory, which Bowser damaged beyond movement speed whilst capturing Princess Peach, who he flew to the center of the universe to start a new galaxy there with her as his bride. Rosalina, the guardian of the universe, along with the Luma, whom she also protects, ask Mario to help them recover the Power Stars and Grand Stars from Bowser's forces, and in return, promise him the Comet Observatory will fly him to the center of the universe to stop Boswer and save the Princess. With help from the Luma, Rosalina, The Toads of the Toad Brigade, other friends, and even Luigi, Mario rushes to collect as many Power Stars as he can, before it's too late.
    I could write an entire review on just the positives, but in the interest of fairness (and time,) I will try to limit my gushing

First off, let me say that for all the Nintendo fans out there, Mario is back, and in a big way. The sheer expanse of the worlds that you play through are so vast that sometimes it can be overwhelming. Yet, with the new storyline, power-ups, and moves to play around with, even old Mario fans will experience something new. The gameplay is either nearly flawless, or just plain is. I might go with the latter. The player controls Mario with the Nunchuck, and uses the Wii Remote to jump and spin, as well as to point at the screen to collect Star Bits. Every level not only has a Power Star at the end, but occasionally will have a bonus Star that activates when a Comet randomly flies over that Galaxy. Be on the eye for Hungry Lumas as well, both in the Observatory, and out in the Galaxy. If you feed them Star Bits, they will help you advance through the game, or transform into a Galaxy themselves, giving Mario another opportunity to collect a Star. In addition to all that, once you rescue Luigi from a Haunted Mansion (haha,) he'll occasionally collect Stars for you from different Galaxies, and gives them to you. That is, once you rescue him from whatever Galaxy he's found the Star. Green Stars are extremely difficult Stars to get, and are very rare. Collecting all three adds to challenging extra game content. Finally, collecting Grand Stars opens up a new dome in the Observatory. I would describe the controls as intuitive, fun, and a good use of the full capabilities of the controller. All of the fresh ways to play keep the game exciting in my opinion. In addition to Mario's old abilities, new ones like being able to spin by shaking the Wii Remote, and firing Star Bits that you find throughout the levels. The new power-ups like Ghost Mario add new content, and new challenge. There are very few problems with the game, but one might be the fact that when you turn off or reset your Wii, you loose all of the extra lives that you earned, however this can be overlooked, considering a Mail Toad gives you 5 free lives every time you start you game again, should you find him in the Comet Observatory. This has been done in other Mario games with little upset. Another minor complaint is the Co-Star mode, or two player mode. While it may be fun for a while to have a friend join you and fire Star Bits at enemies, or maybe stop a hazard from hitting you, it slowly looses its appeal. Then again, it is still entertaining, and in reality, I don't know how they could have fit two characters on the screen at once, or what other character they could have even used. So this point is mostly invalid. The only other complaint I have really is that, while the gravity mechanic in the game is usually very tight, when Mario is in between planets or even two objects with gravitational pull, Mario is sort of pulled back and forth, making him land on neither object. But even still this is nitpicking, and rarely happens at all.

Honestly, what can you say about Super Mario Galaxy that hasn't already been said? The controls are consistently tight, the musical score is superb, the level design and gameplay are better than they are in any other 3D Mario game, and it has an incredible game feel. But beating it once is not enough! Upon full completion of the game (all 120 Power Stars,) the focus shifts to Luigi and the player can go through the whole story again with the green younger brother. He even controls differently for a challenge.
  79. Apr 28, 2013
    The Super Mario Galaxy series is one of the best series there is on video game world.This is the first one and for me the less brilliant one.Compairing to the 2nd title this has less powerups and a little bit less of creativity.But is still one of the funniest games for the WiI excellent visuals, story and sound.this is a game for the new and old fans of the italian plumber cause its innovative and it brings back the greatest Mario we can get 3D. Expand
  80. Nov 5, 2012
    An absolute masterpiece of a platformer. Complete with mind-bending jumps, beautiful worlds, and amazing gameplay. A camera issue here and there as well as a very large hub that can make going from galaxy to galaxy a little tedious shouldn't be enough to distract the player from the adventure at hand. A must have title for Wii owners. 9/10
  81. Nov 19, 2012
    i love this game, no words. It's the kind of the tht i play, and replay. cos it's not only fun and fantastic, it's something different. If you want to spend your money in something different, fun and spectacular, spend it on it.
  82. Dec 23, 2012
    Best Wii game I have played. Better than 2 (because all that did was add Yoshi and new levels), and just fantastic. One of the best games I have ever played in my life, everything about it was fantastic. Graphics, gameplay, story, all great.
  83. May 1, 2013
    Super Mario Galaxy is an amazing game. The graphics are fantastic and there is plenty to do, with over 120 stars to collect it's not a short game by any means. There is the wide variety of worlds. There are water, ice, fire, grassland galaxies, and a lot more and each galaxy is unique. It's a FUN game and it's a break from the usual FPS and action game out their. I've been a gamer for about 30 years now and I'm only discovering the joys of wii at this stage. I would recommend them to any gamer hardcore and casual alike, you won't be dissapointed. I find it very relaxing to play. Expand
  84. Aug 6, 2014
    This is the best 3D platformer ever made. Period. I haven't played part 2 yet, but it can only tie this one at best. I am enjoying 3D world and only played about half of 64 (which for its time was the best), but this one will stand at the top of the heap for quite a loooong time I suspect. I don't give 10s, but this time I do.
  85. Dec 29, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy é sem sombra de dúvidas um jogo indispensável para os proprietários do Ninendo Wii. Seu visual 3D, combinado com as músicas e toda a arte dos cenários é quem dão o ar da graça deste jogo, mesmo que o jogador tenha alguns problemas com a câmera. Mas não deixa de ser um dos grandes clássicos da série Super Mario. Expand
  86. Jan 26, 2013
    Made the huge mistake of playing this after the sequel--that was unfair to the game. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I got through several levels I was hooked. It is a wonderful game, that really is easy to jump in and out of--a great thing when you can't always dedicate your life to a game. The level design is great, and it has just enough vintage touch to be cool (and not sadly dependent). Overall this is a top 5 game--still prefer the sequel better, but a must play. Expand
  87. Feb 9, 2013
    Quite literally a perfect game that has no flaws, what else can I say? It has amazing controls that don't force wiimote waggle and allow for perfect platforming. The soundtrack is the best in a Mario game, i'll go ahead and say its the best in a Nintendo game. The graphics are pretty much on par with most 360/PS3 games in SD and the galaxies are all magical. One of my Favorite games of all time and definitely the best game on Wii! Expand
  88. Feb 4, 2013
    Although most Wii games have recently gone out of date due to the more-improved consoles such as Xbox 360, I must say that Super Mario Galaxy may possibly be the greatest video game for Wii, or the greatest over all consoles in my opinion. I have just recently beat the game, although I am now facing the re-run with Luigi, and Super Mario Galaxy contains some of my favorite characters like Bowser, Luma, Star Bunny, and Rosalina. The graphics are acceptable from a 2007 Wii game, and I must say Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite in the Super Mario video game series! I'd give it a 10/10 stars. Expand
  89. Jun 25, 2013
    It's hard to explain why this game is good. Maybe it's the amazing level designs, the pick up and play nature, the phenomenal orchestrated music, or the outstanding charm of the game. These factors all seem to come together, creating one of the greatest games on Wii and one of the greatest games of this generation.

Words alone cannot explain this game. You just have to play it yourself.
  90. Mar 14, 2013
    One of the best games on Wii and just one of the best games in general, the level design in Super Mario Galaxy is some of the best, if you are a platformer fan and have not played this game you are missing out on a true gem, Whilst getting the first 60 stars is pretty easy to do, getting the full 120 stars is challenging and will give you hours of playtime. The graphics are great despite being in SD, I never looked at the game and thought that it had to be in HD to look good, Nintendo knows how to optimize there hardware to look fantastic. If you have a Wii or Wii U then pick this up for one of the best designed games ever made. Expand
  91. Mar 30, 2013
    Visually stunning graphics combined with a great soundtrack make this a very beautiful game to look at. Admittedly, this game is "Super Mario 64" in space, but that's not necessarily a negative thing.
  92. May 3, 2013
    I spent heaps of hours playing this game because it is so imaginative and fun. The ship is really cool and there are heaps of stars to collect. You have to help Mario find Rosalina to win the game. What I really liked about it was the items like Bee Mario, a cool Star Mario, a Boo Mario and he has a cool trick where he can turn invisible and go through walls. There are also an Ice Mario and Fire Mario with a 20 second time limit. The Spring Mario that lets you jump really high. This made the game exciting. Expand
  93. Jun 12, 2013
    Where do I start with this?

This game is amazing and really has to be seen to be believed. I was initially sceptical about the whole planets/space theme, but my god does it work.

Each level or "galaxy" is broken down into several islands/floating planet things, with each having their own obstacles to negotiate. The key to this game though, is that generally speaking, you can go
    "under" the level as well across it as you normally would. This is extremely difficult to describe and has to be seen to really understand it. This key feature introduces a whole new dimension to the game, and gives it staggering potential for level design. It is very weird at first with the controls and camera leaving you unsure initially, but it doesn't take long at all to get used to them.

The other thing about this game that really stands out is it's visuals. This game is absolutely gorgeous, and I was playing it without the HD component cable! As is typical of a mario game, the colours are so rich and everything looks perfectly designed. The music as well, is typical mario, and effortlessly combines the feel of 16-bit gaming with grandiose, scene-perfect music.

Finally, the controls are extremely intuitive and are pretty much the same as Mario 64 & Sunshine. This helps, as the game is different enough as it is with all the gravity/camera shifting to deal with.

Another plus point, is that the controls aren't over "Wii'd". What I mean by this is that on Super Monkey Ball, everything is controlled "Wii-style". For instance, to scroll through the menus you need to tilt the remote left and right. JUST SET IT UP TO USE THE D-PAD! Not everything needs to be incorporated into the remote! Thankfully, Mario Galaxy keeps things simple and uses these useful features where appropriate, rather than for everything. Like Resident Evil 4, the nunchuk and remote combo works effortlessly without over-complicating anything.

Bottom line is, why are you reading this? Go out there and buy this now!
  94. Jul 2, 2013
    Sorry how I posted a half finished review. I meant to click check spelling because I misspelled exalted. But I wasn't paying attention and clicked submit. So let's pick up where I left off. .

is and how complex is her backstory. You can actually read exactly what happened to her once you access the library in the hub. And also, the game is a technical masterpiece for not only its
    stellar animation, but for its super catchy tunes, notably the Gusty Garden Galaxy. And replay value is very strong in this title. You'll find yourself doing things as crazy and exciting as finding different colored stars to doing things as simple and fun as collecting coins and reading mail from Princess Peach. So that's all my good stuff with the title. Now let's get the bad over with: you'll be pleased to know there's hardly anything that's bad.

The Bad:

Well, there's 2 nit-picks that I have with the title: One is that I wish there was bonus content within the levels.(Stuff besides stars, star BITS, coins 1-ups, etc. Not that it won't keep you occupied)And two is that the hub world is pretty empty besides a few toads and lumas. But hey, hub worlds aren't the main focus of the game. My ideas aside, Super Mario Galaxy still rocks.

The Ugly:

None! :D

So overall, I really love this one. There is no such thing as a perfect game (I just stated my flaws)and that's understandable, but for what it is, came pretty close. My original score is 9.6/10, but since this STUPID thing doesn't have midpoints, I'll be nice and give it a perfect 10.
  95. May 18, 2013
    One of the best games of all time. The soundtrack is amazing, the graphics are impressive, the fun is big, originality is huge and the controls are perfect.
  96. Jun 5, 2013
    Finally, a mario game that actually tries to be a little different! I like it when a franchise tries to be original, and this definitely helps. The mario franchise has been a hit 'n miss since 'Sunshine' but mario galaxy might just be the game that brings the franchise back up!
  97. Jun 29, 2013
    Mario games are truly one of a kind. With amazing atmosphere and a very fun platforming game play, like all the other Mario games, Mario galaxy has done it again.
  98. Jun 14, 2013
    What is there to say this game is downright awesome, to me this is the best Mario game at its time and its literally perfect. What is there to say, very beautiful graphics and visuals for a Wii game (show's developers are just being lazy and trying not to make this system look good) and it is probably a game that is perfect for anyone, heck maybe even a 4 year old can beat this game. Oh and those who say this game is for really REALLY young kids guess what i'm 13 and i would still play it. People tend to say omg this graphics suck, what do you expect final fantasy graphics, give it a break, if the games graphics were to good people would be complaining that the graphics does not fit Mario. so as a result this game is indeed not for everyone, and it is really not for people that always care about the graphics. Expand
  99. Oct 24, 2013
    I remember when my cousin had the game and said I wouldn't like it he was wrong, very wrong not only is this my favorite Wii game along with Smash Bros but this is my favorite Mario game.
  100. Jul 25, 2013
    Wow. Just wow. Nintendo know how to make a good mario game, that much is for certain. Super Mario Galaxy is a 3D platformer with a unique difference. Hence the name, Mario's in space. While you could easily dismiss this as a gimmick, that is exactly what it is not. First off, it means that everything looks gorgeous. The Wii isn't HD, so it's amazing Nintendo managed to pull this off (but it would be even better in HD, and that's why I'd like a remake for Wii U). Everywhere, it's cosmos, but that doesn't mean Nintendo have gone for one background and reused it- every galaxy is unique in everything, including looks. Next is music. It's amazing. Recorded by an orchestra, every piece conveys the atmosphere of the galaxy (and, oh, those atmospheres are things to treasure). So that's excellent presentation. Beautiful and always, always unique. But the most important thing that Galaxy introduces is planet-hopping. You can run right round a planet and come back to where you were before. While this seems pointless, in reality it brings a whole new dimension to the platforming, and is used in a variety of clever, different ways. Here's the clever thing: you always use a launch star, which is like a cannon except it's a star(don't ask) to get to another planet. And most levels consist of a few conxecutive planets.The set out of the game is essentially about forty galaxies, each holding a one to six levels, or 'scenarios'. The goal of each is to collect the star at the end. The way to actually reach each galaxy is a bit like Super Mario 64- levels are in different places in your hub, the observatory. Getting to them is annoying. It's not like you get lost- it's just boring getting to them. The good-for-nothing map of the observatory doesn't help either. So each galaxy has a particular theme, and it is always very imaginative. Even the routine desert galaxy is filled with surprises. A lot of the gakaxies have levels with boss fights, and a lot of the themes of the galaxies could be turned into entirely new games themselves. There are loads of new powerups, and they are always required to progress when they appear. So they're not so much power-ups as they are like items in zelda. There's the bee suit, to name just one. Each power gives you unique abilities which are always very cleverly and creatively implemented. Each galaxy usually has one or three normal levels, then maybe a hidden star in one of the levels, and one or two comet levels. Comet levels are special stars that come into galaxies you've cleared as you progress through the game. They give you a particular aim and are always very hard. The downside is when they arrive, they replace all the other levels in that galaxy until you've completed that comet level. There's a spin jump to assist you in Super Mario Galaxy, like a double jump. The camera is perfect, never wondering. My biggest problem is that although there are checkpoints, they're not marked, so you've no idea where you'll respawn if you die. There's also a mode where a second player can assist Mario by collecting star bits(in game currency) for them among other things, but this mode is too limited. Overall, Galaxy is a fantastic game and one of the best if not the best, refreshing plstforners around. Expand

It's rare to play through a perfect game or one that nears perfection, but Galaxy definitely fits that mold.
  2. Nintendo has crafted a platform game that, while not as technologically pioneering as its grandfather, is, level for level, more fun to play than "Mario 64." [Dec 2007, p.128]
    Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.