9.0

1. Mar 24, 2011
    when it comes to platforming games mario has been king for along time . mario 64 is probubly the greatest of all time in that area. SMG not so much. its still a good game with some nice level desighn's . the controls are decent although it still leaves me wishing i could just use a damn game cube controllor over the wii's , the camera is dreadful for the most part since you are runningwhen it comes to platforming games mario has been king for along time . mario 64 is probubly the greatest of all time in that area. SMG not so much. its still a good game with some nice level desighn's . the controls are decent although it still leaves me wishing i could just use a damn game cube controllor over the wii's , the camera is dreadful for the most part since you are running around on small planets it does a sky view which just makes it feel kinda off and made me wish for the mario 64 camera (all be it not great was far better then this) its also kinda easy but most mario games are but not this easy . its still a fun game that captures for the most part the mario magic but it isnt as good as mario 64 or super mario 3 or world and just a hair better then sunshine . Expand
  2. Nov 14, 2010
    This game is strictly mediocre. While it is okay for a while, it suffers from several large problems. The biggest problem is that, while it is a 3D platformer, it lacks exploration - the game is extremely linear, and most levels have to be completed in a single way. Worse, this game is inferior to previous titles in the series - Mario 64 had a lot of exploration in it, but this game lacksThis game is strictly mediocre. While it is okay for a while, it suffers from several large problems. The biggest problem is that, while it is a 3D platformer, it lacks exploration - the game is extremely linear, and most levels have to be completed in a single way. Worse, this game is inferior to previous titles in the series - Mario 64 had a lot of exploration in it, but this game lacks that exploration aspect. You can't randomly go for other stars, and the stars aren't clever in any way. The worlds are sadly less interesting than the Mario 64 equivalents.

The much-vaunted planetary aspect SEEMS like it would be cool, but it almost always is actually a total letdown - almost all the planets with their gravity are lame, and only in a few places in the game can you actually do cool things with them, and I strongly suspect the team actually never intended for me to be able to do what is ACTUALLY fun with the gravity.

The game is also extremely easy - many modern games are very easy, but this game is exceedingly so. Bafflingly, it still has a lives system, despite the fact that it is utterly irrelevant - you have effectively infinite lives, and yet they remain in the game for no good reason. Moreover, it is so easy you are never going to game over.

The central staging area is also less enjoyable than what has been present in other games - in this game, the central staging area is like the levels, boring. In Mario 64, the castle was an interesting place to explore in its own right, being its own "level" of sorts with its own secrets, but the spaceship is just a boring place without interesting places to put its levels, and you progress through it in a very linear and not very interesting fashion.

Perhaps the biggest letdown is the repetitive worlds - there is one world which shows up twice, and it was only okay the first time. The second time, it is simply tedious and uninteresting. Other sections of the game are a bit overly repetitive as well.

While there are some fun areas in the game, most of it is just boring and not clever, and the game is actually worse than Mario 64, a game a decade older in the same series.

This game is greatly overrated. I'd recommend against purchasing it.
  3. Oct 13, 2014
    It's really hard to control Mario and camera sometimes, leading to frustrating moments. Also, I am not a fan of the concept "repeat the same level 10 times and always do something slightly differently", I prefer platformers where each level is a unique experience.
  4. Apr 1, 2017
    7.8 - Was a huge fan of Sunshine and 64, but this one didn't feel the same. Still generally a fun and good game, but things like music, level design and abilities were not nearly as cool.
  5. Sep 27, 2015
    It meets Nintendo's high standards of quality, and you're almost guaranteed to have fun with this game, but all that goes without saying. This game is clearly trying to be another Mario 64 and it fails to do so. Mario 64 allows you to explore each level like an adventure game. In Mario Galaxy, you have to pick which star you're going for before you even start the level, and then it's justIt meets Nintendo's high standards of quality, and you're almost guaranteed to have fun with this game, but all that goes without saying. This game is clearly trying to be another Mario 64 and it fails to do so. Mario 64 allows you to explore each level like an adventure game. In Mario Galaxy, you have to pick which star you're going for before you even start the level, and then it's just linear like an old-fashioned Mario game. There are plenty of cool gimmicks, but the lack of risks on the developers' parts makes this game a whitewashed experience. Expand
  6. Sep 24, 2012
    i thought this game was good but not THAT good why did the critics give it such a high score? there are a load of other games that i think deserve a higher score and this game gets a 97?! lets be serious people. the are game that deserve this score like ratchet and clank or littlebigplanet really better games.
  7. Jun 16, 2017
    A very fun platformer with some really interesting puzzles but other than that it doesn't offer much depth. If you are looking for a game to play casually after a long day this game offers plenty of fun but I just can't understand how it is considered one of the best games of all time. The game certainly isn't bad but it is very simplistic. The gameplay is solid and the game has a lot ofA very fun platformer with some really interesting puzzles but other than that it doesn't offer much depth. If you are looking for a game to play casually after a long day this game offers plenty of fun but I just can't understand how it is considered one of the best games of all time. The game certainly isn't bad but it is very simplistic. The gameplay is solid and the game has a lot of charm but in most areas it is average. I find it strange that people dock games like Zelda or Final Fantasy points when their stories falter a bit but Mario gets a pass despite its story being a random mess. Most platformers aren't exactly known for their story telling but even among platformers Mario Galaxy's story and progression is below average.

The gameplay is really good in most areas, the mechanics are simple and responsive. Menus are simple and functional. There are quite a good variety of puzzles and challenges to solve but they didn't really seem to offer meaningful discoveries. The reward for completing challenges is really just more of the same, other games do a much better job of giving the player collectibles that actually impact gameplay in a way that enhances the experience. There are some really cool game mechanics but some of the best ones are limited to specific areas which made the game feel more like a collection of mini-games. While almost everything works well the game doesn't offer as much freedom as many of the best platformers.

The Visuals are fun and colorful but they aren't really groundbreaking in any way, it doesn't look much better than Mario Sunshine looked and they certainly don't stack up with a lot of games that came out around the same time. I don't expect Mario to look realistic of course but it still needs more creative visual designs in order to merit a high score.

The music and sound design if fine but nothing ground breaking Mario makes his typical sounds. The soundtrack is fitting enough but none of the songs really stood out to me as being exceptional.

The world is really cool, with many planets of varying designs. I found the mechanics of the planets themselves to be one of the most appealing aspects of the game and reaching new worlds almost always offered something new and interesting. I think the idea of mini-planets could have been used in more creative ways. While there is a decent amount of variety there is also a lot of repetition.

Overall I think Mario Galaxy is a good game and it is worth playing. There is a lot of content and most of it is enjoyable but it is no where near being one of the best games of all time.

I give Mario Galaxy a 75%
  8. Aug 7, 2011
    This is easily the best platformer I have ever played. It feels like it raises the bar to a level that I would never need another platformer again. In all fairness, I am not a big fan of platform games so I don't spend a lot of time with the genre, but this is just one of those quality games that goes above and beyond traditional expectations of a particular genre. The only real problem IThis is easily the best platformer I have ever played. It feels like it raises the bar to a level that I would never need another platformer again. In all fairness, I am not a big fan of platform games so I don't spend a lot of time with the genre, but this is just one of those quality games that goes above and beyond traditional expectations of a particular genre. The only real problem I have with it is the label. Do we really need another Super Mario? Please Nintendo, call it anything you want and make the main character look like anyone else but please move on from Mario/Zelda/Metroid. These same game mechanics could easily be used with a new IP to freshen things up a bit. It's getting to the point where I can't bare to look at another one of these three brands unless it comes with a 90+ consensus review score to help me see past the same increasingly irritating main character. Expand
  9. Jun 4, 2013
    What happened in here? This game is so wrong, too few levels and when they are easy, literally, THEY ARE VERY EASY, but they want them to be hard... OMG THEY ARE VERY, VERY HARD. And the game has many incoherences. The design of the planets are wonderful, I admit that, but when I play in them, I get dizzy. The good thing is that the new power and hilarious, and makes the game fun.
  10. Nov 10, 2015
    What a disappointment this game is. it's just a dumbed down 3d platformer. the wiimote sucks for this game. And you cant even do all the cool moves you could do in mario 64, you know, in 1996? It confines you to a little area so you don't get lost and dont feel too bad about yourself if you suck at it. This is the Nintendo audience now, soccer moms and children.
  11. Apr 1, 2016
    Still good... but SO OVERRATED!

Still good... but SO OVERRATED!

Ok, the game is good. But it's not perfection. The nun chuck and wiimote combo isn't the worst or best control scheme ever. The story is the generic "Bowser wants to take over Peach and the world." AT LEAST 3D WORLD ACTUALLY WAS DIFFERENT WITH THE SPRIXIES! Many stars take 15-30 minutes to obtain to the point where it feels grueling. The gravity works good...but just good. But hey... the graphics and shading is good
  12. Oct 6, 2017
    This game is very infuriating due too difficulty and the camera angles. The camera is the only thing that holds this game back. This game has arguably the best graphics on the Wii. This game is good but not a game that deserves the top game. Sorry i just thought i would be honest. Its fun and boring at the same time.
  13. Oct 21, 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy is a must have for everyone. It's visuals are amazing and the music is brilliant (if not exactly fitting.) The gameplay doesn't stray far away from it's roots; it also has a few clever levels. The difficulty level is brilliant but a bit too hard for children. I don't really like the controls much; they feel a bit weird for me, and shaking the wii remote gets a bitSuper Mario Galaxy is a must have for everyone. It's visuals are amazing and the music is brilliant (if not exactly fitting.) The gameplay doesn't stray far away from it's roots; it also has a few clever levels. The difficulty level is brilliant but a bit too hard for children. I don't really like the controls much; they feel a bit weird for me, and shaking the wii remote gets a bit tiresome. At some parts, the controls are absolutely awful.

This doesn't stop me from recommending it though. Please by this game. ITS BRILLIANT!
  14. Mar 9, 2011
    It's definitely one of the better titles on the Wii, but it obviously lacks in some areas, such as polish, freedom, and re-playability. Unlike Super Mario 64, I feel like the game is linear, not letting you solve many problems on your own. While it is a fantastic attempt, it ABSOLUTELY does not deserve the flood of 100's critics game it, putting it higher than even Half-Life 2.
  15. Jan 17, 2018
    To be honest, this is the type of game where you just want to shout "The sequel is better!".
    It is still a fun game, but it badly aged.
    My real unique problem is the camera.
    I hope for a trequel of the series.
  16. YerkK.
    Jul 9, 2008
    I will agree with everyone that the game looks nice and really has the mario fairytale gloom radiating from it.. but I also want to point out the less than average qualities the game offers, as I feel those are ignored or underrated. - the unique functionality of the wii-mote is hardly used - Coop mode is crap. Ok, it's actually more of a spectator mode, but that leaves the I will agree with everyone that the game looks nice and really has the mario fairytale gloom radiating from it.. but I also want to point out the less than average qualities the game offers, as I feel those are ignored or underrated. - the unique functionality of the wii-mote is hardly used - Coop mode is crap. Ok, it's actually more of a spectator mode, but that leaves the multiplayer component to be near non-existent. - Graphics aren't exactly edge-breaking. They're nice enough though and create a fairy-tale atmosphere. - There's too much restrictions for the sake of balancing. It's much like a linear platform game without giving the players real room to be creative, there's usually only one way to beat the game. - It's rather repetitive. The gameplay might be rather innovating, but the rest of the game is old. There are also a lot of positive points, but they're easy enough to find... My main concern is the very limited usage of the wii functions, which leaves me to conclude a good 7 is high enough for this game. Expand
  17. TaharulI.
    Apr 3, 2008
    It was so easy. The ending is poor. Never have i been so disappointed in a mario game. I lent it to my relatives and they got bored with it in a day.
  18. SimonG.
    Mar 31, 2008
    I
  19. LeeH.
    Mar 3, 2008
    I thing this game is okay. Nothing more, nothing less. People make such a big deal saying it's awesome and unbeatable, but I think it's way over-rated. Some of the levels are extremely long and boring, whereas others couldn't be more fun. The controls are also awkward and different to get the handle of, but once you do, it's easy. I don't think this could be rated I thing this game is okay. Nothing more, nothing less. People make such a big deal saying it's awesome and unbeatable, but I think it's way over-rated. Some of the levels are extremely long and boring, whereas others couldn't be more fun. The controls are also awkward and different to get the handle of, but once you do, it's easy. I don't think this could be rated over a 7, but it's an alright game. Expand
  20. PolH.
    Jan 20, 2009
    I do miss the old platformers...this game was extremely easy for me, and it is obvious that it was created for children. But why are we surprised? The wii is obviously for non-gamers, and taking this under consideration, this is a decent game. If you are a gamer this game is not for you, and neither is the console.
  21. AnonymousMC
    Nov 18, 2007
    It's a good game and fun for the wii. But how it has 98 average score, the highest at present on metacritic above the likes of Assassin's Creed (which has a better storyline, lightyears ahead in graphics even if Mario is cartoony and Call of Duty 4 etc i just do not understand.
  22. JustinR.
    Jan 2, 2008
    This game isn't as great as everyone says it is. The storyline is kinda boring and it gets awfully repetitive going after star after star after star. It's definitely one of the better games for Wii, though, as most games out for this console positively blow.
  23. ChisameS.
    Jan 28, 2008
    The graphics are really, really good, but I have to agree with Brad~ The levels are much too easy and short...I wish they were a bit more challenging and long.
  24. DaveH.
    Feb 15, 2008
    It's great fun at first and the level designs are clever. But I found the controls clunky and the gameplay too simplistic to withstand even its modest length before it gets repetitive (which is less than halfway through). There again, this has always been the way I've felt about Mario games, having being grown up with Sonic games and I probably shouldn't knock it too much It's great fun at first and the level designs are clever. But I found the controls clunky and the gameplay too simplistic to withstand even its modest length before it gets repetitive (which is less than halfway through). There again, this has always been the way I've felt about Mario games, having being grown up with Sonic games and I probably shouldn't knock it too much as Mario Galaxy better than 99% percent of platformers around these days, ESPECIALLY the new Sonic. The soundtrack is also very good and the Luma creatures are nothing short of adorable. However, I maintain that this game does nothing to bring platform gaming into the seventh-generation and its shortcomings are probably a symptom of the the datedness of the said genre. The last platform games I honestly enjoyed were Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Rayman 2. Expand
  25. DaveS.
    Feb 20, 2008
    Great game, I really do love it, but i gotta agree, while some areas are very hard a majority of the game is easy. I've witnessed or played all 121 stars. The camera angles were a bummer sometimes too. Other than that it was creative and enjoyable.
  26. WilliamC
    Mar 26, 2008
    Its a good game but not great at all!!It doesn't deserve the first place!!Its really repetitive and really NOT addictive!!BORIN sometimes!! really ordinary.
  27. ChrisK.
    Mar 7, 2008
    it's a good game, but when it comes to the platform genre, psychonauts beats this game in every aspect but graphics.
  28. SamC.
    Apr 28, 2008
    Quite a good game but i think its greatly over rated. It doesn't take advantage of the wiimote and theres nothing that would make me want to play it non stop.
  29. DorS.
    May 5, 2008
    Boring game, even didn't finish it because its so boring.
  30. JohnN.
    Jul 17, 2008
    Easily one of the most annoying, frustrating games I've ever played. It is a shining example of how you should never, ever fully trust review sites. The game is clearly marketed towards children, and yet it is far too difficult in places and generally extremely frustrating. How Nintendo thought this would be a good idea is beyond me. I can only assume they didn't mean to make it Easily one of the most annoying, frustrating games I've ever played. It is a shining example of how you should never, ever fully trust review sites. The game is clearly marketed towards children, and yet it is far too difficult in places and generally extremely frustrating. How Nintendo thought this would be a good idea is beyond me. I can only assume they didn't mean to make it annoying - and that it's just terribly design. The life system is truly, shockingly terrible. I don't care how many lives you want to give me - how about a proper health system instead? Two minor mistakes from knocking into retarded caterpillars and you're flashing red with an incredibly annoying sound can go on for ages until you take a detour from what you're doing and go desperately try to find a coin, lest you make 1 more tiny mistake by not waggling at the exact right time against a worthless fodder creature and have to start all over again. Expand

#1 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007
#1 Most Shared Wii Game of 2007

It's rare to play through a perfect game or one that nears perfection, but Galaxy definitely fits that mold.
  2. games(TM)
    Nintendo has crafted a platform game that, while not as technologically pioneering as its grandfather, is, level for level, more fun to play than "Mario 64." [Dec 2007, p.128]
    Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.