The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return Wii

• Release Date: Mar 11, 2008
7.6

1. ChrisD.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Having not owned a Dreamcast or an Xbox, but having enjoyed playing them in the arcade, I decided to pick this up. The calibration for more accurate aiming works well and I rarely use a crosshair. While I wish the first one was included (I never owned a Saturn either!) It's still got the whole nostalgia thing going. Worth the $30 for me.
  2. LeeK
    Apr 24, 2008
    Fun game, I never played the originals other than a few quarters in the arcades. For the life of me though I can't understand why they continue to use the "shot off screen to reload" mechanic. Why not just map it to either the A, C or Z buttons?
  3. Jan 17, 2011
    HotD is a great retro shooter with some nice branching mechanics. HotD3 is the more balanced of the two but HotD2 is also a fun challenge.

I am surprised HotD wasn't included though..
  4. Jun 21, 2013
    They basically just ported 2 and 3 and...that's it. So if you really like one or the other or both then go for it. I wasn't super into 3 but I found 2 to be a great trip down memory lane. Fun gameplay and some of the funniest worst dubbing ever. It's quite the experience.
  5. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well this game was out in the mid 200 0's I remember it a lot it was an arcade game for shooting zombies like a Resident Evil game how we changed now do we look on this game now still?

For some fun memory's yes I used have this game until I was getting quite bored with it now they is also two games in one yes and some rather mini-games after you done the game.

The story is not really breathtaking enough to make you enjoy it with the most annoying music I even heard in the game, I did like the boss fights and how it's all dealt with simple shoot something to get a weak part of it and you've done I also like the sound of the boss fights really nice but 13 years is a long time I still remember some parts.

So if I were you I try it again but if you played this on Dream cast since it was on the dc then it's the same thing on other platform console that does not change nothing it was a great thing to have and look again after these years.
  6. Apr 22, 2014
    This game won't have anyone glued to their Wiis for weeks straight, but this game is a good port of two arcade classics. You get options like difficulty levels, number of hits, and number of continues to change up the simple yet addictive gameplay, but it does feel like a couple of things could have been added to make the game more worthwhile. House of the Dead is a fun on rail shooter,This game won't have anyone glued to their Wiis for weeks straight, but this game is a good port of two arcade classics. You get options like difficulty levels, number of hits, and number of continues to change up the simple yet addictive gameplay, but it does feel like a couple of things could have been added to make the game more worthwhile. House of the Dead is a fun on rail shooter, however, especially when playing with someone else. Expand
  7. Apr 18, 2015
    Even though this included the house of dead 2 and 3 in it, for the price and short length included in the game maybe adding the house of the dead 1 and 4 to the game would be better as well.
  8. Aug 6, 2016
    This an almost perfect port of two differently dated games. House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return contains near perfect ports of two great arcade shooters, with some differences, positive or negative. For a low price, you are getting two excellent arcade games. House of the Dead 2 may have voice acting on par with Microsoft Sam, and some differences from the PC and Dreamcast versions (namelyThis an almost perfect port of two differently dated games. House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return contains near perfect ports of two great arcade shooters, with some differences, positive or negative. For a low price, you are getting two excellent arcade games. House of the Dead 2 may have voice acting on par with Microsoft Sam, and some differences from the PC and Dreamcast versions (namely crosshairs, worse graphics, and some other nitpicks), but it is otherwise a perfect port. House of the Dead 3 is a notable devolution from the Xbox version from a while ago. Namely, there is alot of slow down, inferior graphics from the Xbox and PC versions and a lack of auto-reloading. The two games allow the Wiimote to be used alone or be augmented with a gun (the Wii Zapper, the Nyko Perfect Shot, the Nerf Switchshot EX3 or many others) to "Make em' dead again". To reload, you have to point the Wiimote off-screen to recreate the Arcade experience. This is a problem, because it sets your aim off-track and, as said, the home versions of HOTD III contain auto-reloading. HOTD Overkill is the best for reloading, as you simply have to press the A button. Although this is a great port for the Wii, if you want the games far superior in gameplay and graphic quality, buy a lightgun or two and the Xbox version of III (2 is unlockable). If you have a budget and a flat-screen TV, go for this version of the game. Expand

#17 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#8 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    But if you enjoy a good light-gun game like I do, this is one house call that's hard to pass up. [Apr 2008, p.87]
  2. These games look fairly dated and the bonus content here is a little thin. Shooter fans who’ve already had their fill of "Umbrella Chronicles" and "Ghost Squad" might find this worth checking out.
    Not only is Return a port of two games nearly a decade old each, but a technically and visually superior version of this package already existed six years ago. SEGA has nailed IR control though, so the door is wide open for a stellar, Wii-exclusive original light gun game at this point. C’mon guys, let’s see it.