The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return Wii

• Release Date: Mar 11, 2008
7.6

1. ChrisD.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Having not owned a Dreamcast or an Xbox, but having enjoyed playing them in the arcade, I decided to pick this up. The calibration for more accurate aiming works well and I rarely use a crosshair. While I wish the first one was included (I never owned a Saturn either!) It's still got the whole nostalgia thing going. Worth the $30 for me.
  2. SqueM.
    Aug 28, 2008
    House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return is awesome...it brings 2 games of an awesome series to the Wii and it made me hyped. The graphics in HOTD 2 and 3 are excellent even for today standards. The voice acting meh...the music wow... and overall, this is probably the best light gun games to appear to the Wii.
  3. A.T.Cooke
    Mar 13, 2008
    The Wii has had some rough patches when it comes to third party games, and honestly, I'm a bit fed up with mini-game compilations, but it seems that the Wii has found another way to channel its rather unique talents: Light Gun Shooters. I enjoyed R.E. Umbrella Chronicles, even if the story-system broke the flow a bit. I absolutely loved Ghost Squad, and now we have the classics House The Wii has had some rough patches when it comes to third party games, and honestly, I'm a bit fed up with mini-game compilations, but it seems that the Wii has found another way to channel its rather unique talents: Light Gun Shooters. I enjoyed R.E. Umbrella Chronicles, even if the story-system broke the flow a bit. I absolutely loved Ghost Squad, and now we have the classics House Of The Dead 2 & 3 in one handy package. I enjoyed these games tremendously in arcades, and many quarters were spent on the arcade versions. Sometimes challenging, and an incredible amount of fun with a friend. Heres to hoping that the Wii will follow this path to more excellent light gun games in the future. Expand
  4. LeeK
    Apr 24, 2008
    Fun game, I never played the originals other than a few quarters in the arcades. For the life of me though I can't understand why they continue to use the "shot off screen to reload" mechanic. Why not just map it to either the A, C or Z buttons?
  5. LucoT.
    Mar 12, 2008
    It may be dated, but HotD is THE standard for light gun games. Well placed enemies, incredible bosses, branching paths through levels, and above all some serious fun factor. If you owned the Xbox version then there's not enough new content to bring you back, but newcomers should definitely pay this house a call.
  6. ChrisL.
    Mar 13, 2008
    HOTD2&3 doesn't bog down the gamers with complicated controls. Its straight forward action that is relentless on enemies. If you are wondering how long it is, I can guarantee you that it will take you longer then Umbrella Chronicles or Ghost Squad. Without a save option the game frustrates you however gives the sense of triumph once it is beaten. There are plenty of unlock ables (not HOTD2&3 doesn't bog down the gamers with complicated controls. Its straight forward action that is relentless on enemies. If you are wondering how long it is, I can guarantee you that it will take you longer then Umbrella Chronicles or Ghost Squad. Without a save option the game frustrates you however gives the sense of triumph once it is beaten. There are plenty of unlock ables (not sure if they last). This game could have used a few improvements. It's too bad Sega ported straight from Xbox but for $30 bucks its well worth it. Way more fun then Umbrella Chronicles with better controls and more action. If you are looking for the best light gun shooter on the then this is it. Expand
  7. ColbyD.
    Mar 13, 2008
    An addicting trip down memory line, House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return is an excellent arcade port that should be played by everyone with a wii.
  8. MattS.
    Mar 27, 2008
    If you like the original arcade games (I do) then you will LOVE this... Well worth picking up as its only cheap and great for some zombie blasting fun. OK so its nothing original but if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
  9. DevinZ.
    Mar 14, 2008
    Instant classic, very fun game with lots of replay value. Cons: graphics, voice acting
  10. BenihanaB.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Love this game, great shooter...brings me back to the collage days when my wife and I used to play this game in the arcade. 2 games in 1. Great buy for only $30!
  11. RobG
    Mar 28, 2008
    The aiming accuracy is spot on. The extra content is fun, if sparse. The graphics are dated, but that's a given due to the age of the game. It's great, but not perfect, mindless fun.
  12. Mar 20, 2011
    there is just some thing about light gun games i just really love . both theese games have showed there age abit and if you have played house of the dead over kill you will most likely find it way better . thats not to say theese 2 classics arnt worth playing they certainly are . the voice acting is some of the most god awful crap you will ever hear but thats also kinda the charm of theesethere is just some thing about light gun games i just really love . both theese games have showed there age abit and if you have played house of the dead over kill you will most likely find it way better . thats not to say theese 2 classics arnt worth playing they certainly are . the voice acting is some of the most god awful crap you will ever hear but thats also kinda the charm of theese 2 games . its so bad its funny . really the only down side i really give this game is that sega didnt do any thing new to theese 2 games . some updated graphics and some more features would have been nice . but for the price its worth getting . theese kind of games are what the wii was made to play. Expand
  13. Jan 17, 2011
    HotD is a great retro shooter with some nice branching mechanics. HotD3 is the more balanced of the two but HotD2 is also a fun challenge.

I am surprised HotD wasn't included though..
  14. Aug 28, 2013
    A lazy port of a decade old arcade game on a system loaded with vastly superior light gun games? No thank you. Quarter eating cheap shots, shooting offscreen, and mediocre graphics might have been acceptable in 2008, but here in the future you could be playing HotD:Overkill, DeadSpace, Ghost Squad, Umbrella Chronicles, etc..
  15. Jan 8, 2012
    It's a perfect game for the Wii. I don't know the price (I hope it's low), but I don't understand becouse it takes only 66/100 from critic reviews. Ok, it's an old game, it's a "simple" arcade game...but this is The House of the Dead; everyone knows this game..If you want to have this game in your living room (not a Pc version, where you shoot with the mouse), now you can! And you canIt's a perfect game for the Wii. I don't know the price (I hope it's low), but I don't understand becouse it takes only 66/100 from critic reviews. Ok, it's an old game, it's a "simple" arcade game...but this is The House of the Dead; everyone knows this game..If you want to have this game in your living room (not a Pc version, where you shoot with the mouse), now you can! And you can "shoot the TV" . It's perfect for this console, and I think that anyone would enjoy this game, especially in 2 players mode. Expand
  16. Jun 21, 2013
    They basically just ported 2 and 3 and...that's it. So if you really like one or the other or both then go for it. I wasn't super into 3 but I found 2 to be a great trip down memory lane. Fun gameplay and some of the funniest worst dubbing ever. It's quite the experience.
  17. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well this game was out in the mid 200 0's I remember it a lot it was an arcade game for shooting zombies like a Resident Evil game how we changed now do we look on this game now still?

For some fun memory's yes I used have this game until I was getting quite bored with it now they is also two games in one yes and some rather mini-games after you done the game.

The story is not really breathtaking enough to make you enjoy it with the most annoying music I even heard in the game, I did like the boss fights and how it's all dealt with simple shoot something to get a weak part of it and you've done I also like the sound of the boss fights really nice but 13 years is a long time I still remember some parts.

So if I were you I try it again but if you played this on Dream cast since it was on the dc then it's the same thing on other platform console that does not change nothing it was a great thing to have and look again after these years.
  18. Jun 4, 2014
    This is a great all round package and is perfect if you have a Wii and a friend to bring over, because this game is great fun in 2 player mode. The voice acting is very bad, but it's not as bad as Mindjack, which is a great game, but is let down by the voice acting. The gameplay works incredibly well for Wii. The graphics show their age but they're still acceptable for Wii. The House ofThis is a great all round package and is perfect if you have a Wii and a friend to bring over, because this game is great fun in 2 player mode. The voice acting is very bad, but it's not as bad as Mindjack, which is a great game, but is let down by the voice acting. The gameplay works incredibly well for Wii. The graphics show their age but they're still acceptable for Wii. The House of the Dead 2 has a boring storyline, which is: a big zombie outbreak has happened in Sunset Bridge and the zombies invade the city as well. However, the storyline in House of the Dead 3 is more interesting. The storyline is: G and Lisa are trying to find Lisa's father and kill Daniel Curien. Both games are 1 hour long, but are fun to replay. This is definitely worth its current price point (£10/$20) and is fun to play with a friend. The good parts are the gameplay and replayability. The bad parts are the laughable voice acting and the short campaigns. (Which are still replayable) Expand
  19. Apr 22, 2014
    This game won't have anyone glued to their Wiis for weeks straight, but this game is a good port of two arcade classics. You get options like difficulty levels, number of hits, and number of continues to change up the simple yet addictive gameplay, but it does feel like a couple of things could have been added to make the game more worthwhile. House of the Dead is a fun on rail shooter,This game won't have anyone glued to their Wiis for weeks straight, but this game is a good port of two arcade classics. You get options like difficulty levels, number of hits, and number of continues to change up the simple yet addictive gameplay, but it does feel like a couple of things could have been added to make the game more worthwhile. House of the Dead is a fun on rail shooter, however, especially when playing with someone else. Expand
  20. Apr 18, 2015
    Even though this included the house of dead 2 and 3 in it, for the price and short length included in the game maybe adding the house of the dead 1 and 4 to the game would be better as well.

#20 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#4 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    But if you enjoy a good light-gun game like I do, this is one house call that's hard to pass up. [Apr 2008, p.87]
  2. These games look fairly dated and the bonus content here is a little thin. Shooter fans who’ve already had their fill of "Umbrella Chronicles" and "Ghost Squad" might find this worth checking out.
    Not only is Return a port of two games nearly a decade old each, but a technically and visually superior version of this package already existed six years ago. SEGA has nailed IR control though, so the door is wide open for a stellar, Wii-exclusive original light gun game at this point. C’mon guys, let’s see it.