• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Feb 10, 2009
8.9

1. Aug 30, 2010
    the best of way to describe house of the dead 4 is take robert rodrigues's grind house movie planet of terror and combine it with the original house of the dead game . what you get is some thing over the top rediculas and alot of fun . funny diolouge , fast action shoot em up , great boss fights , more guns , and much longer then the originals . the wiimote works perfectally for theesethe best of way to describe house of the dead 4 is take robert rodrigues's grind house movie planet of terror and combine it with the original house of the dead game . what you get is some thing over the top rediculas and alot of fun . funny diolouge , fast action shoot em up , great boss fights , more guns , and much longer then the originals . the wiimote works perfectally for theese kind of games . if you own a wii and are wondering where are the adult games . then you need to get this game . it's a rare gem in the Wii's endless stockpile of crap shovelware . Expand
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    A great installment to the series, and personally my favourite. The final boss will have you questioning everything you have ever seen and leave you confused and disturbed beyond belief.
  3. Oct 23, 2013
    No other game I have played so far is as funny as this one. Everything that's in this game is fun, and it's quite rare for me to like every single character in a video game.
  4. Mar 17, 2011
    Critics said it's good. Other critics said it'd **** good. GRAPHICS: It is like bringing the arcade game home, watching it bang a grind house film, then marveling at the abomination they produce 9/10. ADVENTURE: This story is **** brilliant.... as brilliant as it needs to be. 10/10 MECHANICS: So solid it'll rip your **** balls off.10/10 EXTRAS: Tell your friend he ain't ever seen this kindCritics said it's good. Other critics said it'd **** good. GRAPHICS: It is like bringing the arcade game home, watching it bang a grind house film, then marveling at the abomination they produce 9/10. ADVENTURE: This story is **** brilliant.... as brilliant as it needs to be. 10/10 MECHANICS: So solid it'll rip your **** balls off.10/10 EXTRAS: Tell your friend he ain't ever seen this kind of crazy **** before and strap in for a few hours of Arcade on rails shooter classic minus all the damn quarters. 10/10 This game is what it is and it is all the **** way. If you like shooting zombies, cheesy horror, funk, and shooting zombies you will love this game! Expand
  5. Mar 4, 2011
    It's a crappy rail-shooter with terrible dialouge, and a ridiculas plot.
    Waste of £30 you could use to buy a good game.
    The translation here is just evil. I'm a fan of the HotD, but I liked it for how stupid and nonsensical it was, here it's just trying to knot everything up.
  6. Oct 19, 2011
    This game is overkill in every single way, and I loved it. It's gory, profane, misogynistic, and most importantly, hilarious. I was playing it with a friend, and when a certain female character came flying in on a motorcycle, engine vibrations causing her goodies to "jiggle", we busted out laughing so hard it woke his son up, upstairs. The game pokes fun at itself, and the culture ofThis game is overkill in every single way, and I loved it. It's gory, profane, misogynistic, and most importantly, hilarious. I was playing it with a friend, and when a certain female character came flying in on a motorcycle, engine vibrations causing her goodies to "jiggle", we busted out laughing so hard it woke his son up, upstairs. The game pokes fun at itself, and the culture of gaming in general. Unfortunately, it's an extremely short game, but the ability to purchase and level up guns adds a little bit of replay value. I absolutely don't want all my games to play like this, but House of the Dead: Overkill is an gloriously refreshing change of pace, and I enjoyed every second of it. If you have a sense of humor (a mature one, I guess), you should find this fun as well. Just don't let your kids hear it or they might have a few new vocabulary words to show off. Expand
  7. Nov 15, 2010
    While the setting here isn't anymore thrilling than any other HOTD game, it surely sets itself up nicely for comedic purposes.....at least for the first 10-15 minutes. While the gameplay is core to a game for obvious reasons, this is one of those games that may just drive you away with it's presentation. The gameplay in the game is flawless, but the sheer amount of swears being thrownWhile the setting here isn't anymore thrilling than any other HOTD game, it surely sets itself up nicely for comedic purposes.....at least for the first 10-15 minutes. While the gameplay is core to a game for obvious reasons, this is one of those games that may just drive you away with it's presentation. The gameplay in the game is flawless, but the sheer amount of swears being thrown around by the protagonists and others, will put more in more of a desperation mood, than one of fun. There are occasional Hiccups in the frame rate, but I've only noticed in them under 2 select conditions. 1. When transitioning to certain areas of each level, the Frame hitches momentarily to load the next part. 2. The use of the Auto or regular Shotguns brings in a HUGE amount of data for the game to process especially when done with multiple zombies or quick shots of succession.

The developers were clever enough to sneak in the replay value in the form of competition. Should you choose to replay a given level, you will only receive cash if your performance this time, outdoes your performance last time, therefore not allowing the game to simply be spammed for guns at early levels. It also lengthens the game if your a completionist. Overall, if your into games for games, HOTD will only disappointed those looking for lengthy experiences as the game can be cleared in 4 hours. If you take into account everything going into the game, The Character dialogue will be your main gripe.
  8. Mar 8, 2011
    This game is just awesome. Pure on-rails shooter goodness, with a plot and dialogue that doesn't even pretend to take itself seriously, which I appreciate. How many "serious" game plots have you experienced that just plain SUCKED? I appreciate a well told story, but over 90% of game stories are going to be total junk, and so I appreciate that this game didn't even try.

If you enjoy

If you enjoy pointing your wiimote at the tv, pretending it is a gun, this is the best Wii game you could purchase, hands down. It's not a perfect game, but it is an awesome game. I paid full price for this game when it first came out and have no regrets, and now, with used game prices much cheaper, you can't go wrong picking up this game. Unless you're easily offended - this game still holds the record for most swear words in a game. It's all for the laughs though, so if you only like games you can take "seriously", stay away from this title.
  9. Aug 13, 2011
    While I enjoyed playing through the game a couple of times, I really wanted more. I almost wish this game was a movie instead, because the parts I enjoyed most was the dialogue. I think one of the things that kept me so into the game my first play through was the desire to find out where this craziness heads.

Story is all over the place, but in a good way, all you really need to know is â
  10. AdamD.
    Mar 3, 2009
    This is a game that has a pretty hefty reputation to live up to. the oriignal house of the dead series was an arcade classic. it was simply one of the best rail shooters out there, and for a lot of reasons. this game is a new twist and serves as a prequel to the original games, let me start by saying that this game embraces grindhouse movies and just runs with it. everything you would This is a game that has a pretty hefty reputation to live up to. the oriignal house of the dead series was an arcade classic. it was simply one of the best rail shooters out there, and for a lot of reasons. this game is a new twist and serves as a prequel to the original games, let me start by saying that this game embraces grindhouse movies and just runs with it. everything you would expect from a 70's grindhouse film is here, including bad CGI frame cuts, right down to a character on the screen disappearing for a frame here and there. it utilizes film grain very well and it really adds to the feel of the game. this game is cheesy, vulgar and over-the-top violent, but that's exactly how it's supposed to be and exceeds in spades. this isn't to say there's not issues with the game though, there's some frame-rate stutter, but nothing game breaking. also, there's no option to change brightness, leaving you to mess around with your tv for a brighter picture in this game (and trust me, you will, some spots are pitch black until you adjust brightness). that's really all i can think of though for negativity. the game features 2 player co-op, dual-wielding, different weapons and upgrades, and fun hidden stuff/power-ups to find and shoot, along with all the grindhouse campiness and over-the-top violence you can handle. this is an excellent wii title and would recommend it to anyone mature (or immature if you wanna look at it that way) enough to appreciate it. Collapse
  11. MMarmot
    Feb 10, 2009
    So much spirit and heart in this installment. Keeps the same light hearted gameplay that made the arcade version fun but pulled out all the censors and inhibitions that kept them from being great. The soundtrack is great hilarious and moody, the graphics look good, the sound is spot on, not that hollow arcade pinging, the story is classic over the top zombie mutant fair. I'm so So much spirit and heart in this installment. Keeps the same light hearted gameplay that made the arcade version fun but pulled out all the censors and inhibitions that kept them from being great. The soundtrack is great hilarious and moody, the graphics look good, the sound is spot on, not that hollow arcade pinging, the story is classic over the top zombie mutant fair. I'm so happily surprised that SEGA has brought an old franchise into the light and not only did it justice, but surpassed my shooter/zombie fan boy dreams! Expand
  12. C.Ruiz
    Feb 15, 2009
    This game is one of the funnest I've played across all of my current gen consoles. It's funny, it's gory, it has great gameplay and graphics. What more could you want? It's a little short if you just want to blast through it immediately, but it's chockfull of replayability and you'll just want to keep on playing it over and over again, especially with friends.This game is one of the funnest I've played across all of my current gen consoles. It's funny, it's gory, it has great gameplay and graphics. What more could you want? It's a little short if you just want to blast through it immediately, but it's chockfull of replayability and you'll just want to keep on playing it over and over again, especially with friends.

I give it a 10, because even though it's a rail-shooter, that doesn't stop it from being one of the best games I've played this gen.
  13. MarkVasquez
    Feb 17, 2009
    Excellent addition to the House of the Dead line. There are some occasional hiccups in framerate and level load but you will most likely be caring too much about maintaining or achieving your goregasm to let it bother you.
    With the extended Directors Cut mode that opens up after defeating the game and the challenge of saving all the civilians and getting all the gold brains in order to open up trailers, artwork and behind the scenes info there is more replayability then most light gun games have ever offered.
  14. TimO
    Feb 24, 2009
    I've always loved the House Of The Dead arcade games, and have the HOTD III for the XBox (includes 2 as a reward for playing through 3). A great Wii gun game was needed because of a limitation of LCD and Plasma TV's -traditional light guns won't work on them! The language has been mentioned over and over again, and while I'm not offended by it, I do find it a bit I've always loved the House Of The Dead arcade games, and have the HOTD III for the XBox (includes 2 as a reward for playing through 3). A great Wii gun game was needed because of a limitation of LCD and Plasma TV's -traditional light guns won't work on them! The language has been mentioned over and over again, and while I'm not offended by it, I do find it a bit overdone, which ultimately makes it lose it's impact. There are some other great one-liners in the game. Anyone familiar with the arcade versions of HOTD knows about the weird dialog of Agent G. I always attributed it to the Japanese language not translating directly to English, and it gave it a very cheesy charm. They tried to copy it in HOTD:Overkill and haven't quite got it. Agent G is far too talkative. Not a big deal, just noticeable for fans of the game. There are three playability cons I've found with this title, which is why I gave it a 9 rather than a 10. I'm not really counting the last one, as it might be totally correctable. Interestingly, all of them relate to the hardware itself rather than the game. First, while the Wii remote is a savior for those of us looking for a gun game that will work on flat panel TV's, its accuracy is a bit soft compared to the old corded guns made for traditional tube displays. Second, the Wii definitely shows its horsepower weakness with this title. While some of the stuff is superb, like the 70's looking intro's and loading screens, the frame rate drops often and noticeably when things get busy. The final thing is that they've tried to make the game dark, but I find it extremely dark using the standard Wii RCA cable connection. There are area's where I couldn't even tell what I was pointing at, relying on the crosshair turning red over an enemy as an indication to fire. My TV is nice and bright with all other games, but it just seems too dark to be an intentional decision. Perhaps I'll pick up a component cable and see if it makes things a bit more visible. Expand
  15. MichelJ
    Mar 11, 2009
    This is an amazing game and if you are like me (waiting for good Wii games) you must buy this, although the adventure is quiet short you can always repeat the levels to make them perfect, without a doubt one of the best Wii games in my collection
  16. DJH
    May 27, 2009
    I can't believe that this game doesn't rate higher! It's fabulous, and easily among the best and most entertaining FPS on the Wii. Yes, it's profane, but it's funny, isn't it?
  17. smiteboy
    Aug 24, 2009
    Okay, this game has a great concept. But it's execution is pathetic. Played through it in about 3 hours and that's including the way too long cut-scenes. I guess the developers think themselves clever writers. Way too talky and the dialog will drive you nuts. Graphics are barely PS2 quality and the boss battles are laughable. Would be an okay game about 4 years ago. I understand Okay, this game has a great concept. But it's execution is pathetic. Played through it in about 3 hours and that's including the way too long cut-scenes. I guess the developers think themselves clever writers. Way too talky and the dialog will drive you nuts. Graphics are barely PS2 quality and the boss battles are laughable. Would be an okay game about 4 years ago. I understand that they were inspired by low-budget movies. But what they ended up with is a low-budget game. No serious gamer would be interested. Expand
  18. DANGCUCU
    Feb 11, 2009
    awesome arcade shooter! it would have been nice to add an option to switch the language & gore as in Gears 2 or Alien Hominid. yet it's named overkill for a reason. great arcade shooter. couldn't stop playing until my daughter & wife got home & i had to turn it off...
  19. JeremyM.
    Feb 12, 2009
    Overview: HOTD:OK is an on the rails light gun shooter. It features 3 player profile save slots, Three mini-games playable by 2 - 4 players right off the bat. These include a save the civilian game, a kill as many waves of zombies as possible game, and a target like shooting game. The game also features unlockable content, and a gun calibration mode in options. The basic modes of play Overview: HOTD:OK is an on the rails light gun shooter. It features 3 player profile save slots, Three mini-games playable by 2 - 4 players right off the bat. These include a save the civilian game, a kill as many waves of zombies as possible game, and a target like shooting game. The game also features unlockable content, and a gun calibration mode in options. The basic modes of play are: Story mode, which is somewhat of a casual gamer mode easy for 1 - 2 players to jump into, with unlimited continues, and weapon upgrades. Directors cut which features a three continue limit and takes on more zombies and differing routes in the game, also with weapons upgrades - separate from story mode. Upon completion of Story and Directors cut you unlock duel wield mode allowing 2 players to duel wield 2 wiimotes. I thought that was a good addition because you could actually play the game with 4 people then, and even complete with teams for better scores. The game has a heavy focus on keeping a combo of shots with no misses ( unlike umbrella chronicles focus on destroying objects, collecting files, and head shots, etc. ) Pros: Great graphics and video effects, easy to jump into with an atmosphere of the Planet Terror movie. Over the top blood and gore with dismemberment. None of the hit a button at the right time or you die cut scenes of Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles. Cons: The Game Does have noticeable hiccups, which can effect the combos you are trying to pull off (see above). There are a lot of F-bombs in the cut scenes. It doesn't bother me that much, but I have to know who is around if I take my system on the road to someones house that has children. NOTE: THIS GAME IS MATURE FOR A REASON! Expand
  20. CarlosL
    Dec 21, 2009
    Let's forget graphics and story and bla bla bla, you can't take this game so serious!! I can't believe I'll say it but this is as good as Resident Evil 4! It has all the arcade style and fun!

1. Incredibly for such a simple and strictly limited game, it almost never tries your patience, and it's made with such infectious and irreverent glee and such obvious pride, you can't help but join in.
    The House of the Dead: Overkill blends some great gameplay with an impressive style, some great humor, and enough violence and vulgarity to confuse the hell out of soccer moms looking for a new Sims game or Petz title. I wouldn’t put the overall production value or difficulty up there with WoW’s offerings just yet, but for a relaunch of the series on Wii, Overkill is off to a very nice start.
  3. Headstrong has blown a breath of fresh air into a series that was toying with stagnation. Not only is Overkill fun to play, but it's also obvious that the developers had fun making it.