7.9

1. Nov 20, 2011
    THIS is the game I've been waiting for, the reason that I and probably lots of people got the Wii in the first place, not only this is an excelent addition to the Zelda series, it's also a huge step forward for motion control, finaly Nintendo was capable to show how much better the experience can be with motion control if they're implementedthe correct game, got a Wii? Get this game! YouTHIS is the game I've been waiting for, the reason that I and probably lots of people got the Wii in the first place, not only this is an excelent addition to the Zelda series, it's also a huge step forward for motion control, finaly Nintendo was capable to show how much better the experience can be with motion control if they're implementedthe correct game, got a Wii? Get this game! You own it to yourself Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2012
    And so it was decided. That Nintendo would release the same game again and again. And again.

The story is the same story in every Zelda game, fighting is the same. and puzzles, although challenging, are just as tedious. I'm glad I switched to the Xbox. This is probably the last Zelda game I will ever buy because I have been buying the same game since Majoras Maks
  3. Nov 5, 2012
    Innovation is once again brought to the series of legend, Skyward Sword shows what Zelda is really about with an exciting new control scheme, beautiful art style, and engrossing gameplay. A faulty moments here and there is greatly overshadowed by the game's strengths. This is a must have for any Wii owner. 9/10
  4. Sep 11, 2013
    The story is amazing. The gameplay is better than ever. I can't imagine me playing another legend of zelda game without motion controls. The feeling of actually controlling the swords and your attacks is amazing. I recommended this game to all my friends, and I recommend it to whoever is reading my review. Ignore the Negative reviews, they are on the Ocarina of Time band wagon.
  5. Jun 19, 2014
    Great game. It took me two playthroughs but I warmed up to it. I found the sidequests and overworlds underwhelming, and all the backtracking that's involved gets a little annoying. Other than that it's a solid edition to the zelda franchise
  6. Nov 20, 2011
    I definitely think this game is worth the praise it's been receiving, it may not be better than Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker, but it's definitely next in line of my favorite Zelda title of all time.
  7. Dec 7, 2011
    Okay, so it's not the best Zelda game. But with it's Motion Controls and restructured Zelda formula, it's worth a try for any gamer at all. It may lack in areas that shined in past Zelda games, but the game has obviously taken big steps for the series.
  8. Aug 11, 2012
    If you dislike zelda games already, you not gonna find much here. The gameplay is the best ever created in my opinion, and the graphics are great, but over that if you not a fan of the series ( like me ) not much is gonna keep you interested.
  9. Sep 2, 2013
    This is just one of the best games I have played in my life, the dungeons are amazing and bosses are epic, the story is also pretty good, the characters were great, especially Ghirahim, he was my favorite character of any zelda game, this game is really a must buy
  10. Dec 12, 2013
    Overall Skyward Sword was a unique entry in the frachise, and a pretty good one at that. It was more daring than Twilight Princess as it tried to do it's own thing rather than lift itself up on a pedestal by being a proclaimed successor to Ocarina of Time. And it showed.

Dungeon design was very original, continents felt new even in the stereotypical locations such as a wood, a desert, and a lava-infested volcano crater. A problem however was how those were basically the three only locations in the game. As a whole the game is structured around the city of Skyloft, a city in the skies being the hub world where practically all civil NPCs live. You get a bird to traverse the skies and you can freely fly around with it and locate small floating islands with puzzles, chests or other NPC areas, but most importantly it serves as the proper hub for entering the actual land-areas of Hyrule, which feel more like dungeons now rather than being actual open worlds. But that's one of the thing to make Skyward Sword feel fresh rather than unoriginal.

The story however felt pretty shallow this time around. It's more anime-style than ever before. There are still archetypic heroes and villains but they do have more characterization this time around. Unfortunately they're just not incredibly charming. I found Link's relationship with Zelda to be too lovey-dovey, Twilight-esque and fluffy-bunny rather than being compelling or just likable in general. That pretty severely hurt my impression of the story considering that a good third of it consists of Link trying to find Zelda who's been taken away.

It does have some rather interesting twists and turns along the way though, and its presentation is without a hint of doubt the best the series has seen yet. That includes the soundtrack which is fully orchestrated and is generally very good and feels like a proper Zelda OST. I don't like the main theme though as Zelda's Lullaby in reverse sounds very bland but I understand that it was meant as a deliberate throwback, considering this game tries to establish its story as being the first in the fan-famous Zelda timeline, AKA it's a predecessor to the event's Ocarina of Time for the N64.

Motion controls worked spot-on for me. It has left fans divided and understandably Nintendo has stated Zelda for Wii U might go back to more traditional controls. I'm okay with that because while motion controls in themselves worked well and fluid it felt gimmicky, only because the enemes you're supposed to hit with your swings move around their parries like robots so it's very obvious where you not supposed to strike, and from which angle you should strike, and as a result it just feels unorganic and borderline handholding.

Speaking of that, Fi the new companion in Skyward Sword unfortunately hinders much of experienced players' enjoyment and most of her commentary is mandatory. This would be acceptable if she gave you useful hints, but most of the time she states the obvious. Imagine you open a door, get inside a cave, then Fi warps in front of you and says "looks like we're inside a cave. There might be something we can do in here". I'm not even kidding, it's that redundant.

Before I get ahead of myself I should also note that the graphics are pretty decent, but I think they carry just as much good as they carry bad aspects of the game with them. For one, the artstyle itself looks rather bland. You may find that Link looks mighty similair to his Twilight Princess counterpart in stature and even his facial proportions look similar, but on top of this everything has a bright cartoony and colorful tint to it. What you get in the end looks like a mix of Wind Waker's Celshaded style with Twilight Princess's edgy, gritty and detailed artstyle. It comes off as half-baked and just looks rather un-charming to me. Especially the town NPCs look unoriginal and it's just a bit of a mixed bag to be honest. To make things better however everything in the distance has a blur effect that makes it look like a real watercolor painting. It looks impressive both technically and artistically. But like I said overall the graphics are a 50/50. Good and bad at the same time. Here's hoping the next game does something more daring.

But all in all, I think it's a very good game with some flaws, but hopefully Nintendo recognizes this since there's a rather large consensus for what's good and what isn't in this game looking at online discussions from fans. I give The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword a solid 9/10

If you still have a Wii, go look for this game. It's a joy to play.
  11. Nov 20, 2011
    An absolutely essential purchase for anyone who owns a Wii, and even those who don't own a Wii should play it at least once. I honestly can't believe how much has improved since Twilight Princess, it makes me wonder what the hell Nintendo were thinking not doing this sooner.

Absolutely fantastic, the swordplay, item control and 95% of the motion controls are spot on. Not a dull moment in sight.

My few complaints: -pointer controls should have been joint motion+ and sensor controled (if that's even possible) because recentering breaks the immersion. -Skyloft is seperate from the rest of the sky (you must go through a 3 second cutscene when entering or leaving) and this seems disjointed.

-Floating islands rarely hold the same appeal as Wind wakers islands.

These things asside, it's been a long time since a game had such a hold on me. I don't stop playing because I'm bored, I stop playing because I want this game to last, such is the joy at every turn.

And make no mistake, Hero mode WILL kill you.
  12. Feb 13, 2012
    By no means this is the best Zelda game ever, for me Majoras Mask, TP and Wind Waker were far better . I believe that Skyward Sword was made so that they could show the limits of the wii motion plus controller. I played 30 hours of it and i could have never imagined that you could use the controller in so many different ways. I would say however that this is good but bad as well, it getsBy no means this is the best Zelda game ever, for me Majoras Mask, TP and Wind Waker were far better . I believe that Skyward Sword was made so that they could show the limits of the wii motion plus controller. I played 30 hours of it and i could have never imagined that you could use the controller in so many different ways. I would say however that this is good but bad as well, it gets too tiresome in sometimes but nothing that you couldnt bear it. Well, the story is fairly good, i very much appreciate it and enjoyed and made me remember how fantastically a story of a game can be. The sound is good, but zelda standards in this category is too high, so in general was good but you wish it could have been slightly better. the graphics were okay, nothing special but nothing bizarre. Im a huge fan of the zelda franchise so despicte some flaws in this game I really enjoyed overall, my final score would be an 8.5 Expand
  13. Mar 28, 2012
    it has best gameplay controls and its the best game ever. super mario galaxy 2 can not compare. better than ocarina of time. I WOULD recomend this game. a masterpiece
  14. Apr 4, 2012
    this episode is not comparable thilight princess, for me it is not so impressionnant.Je think the Wii has reached its limits with this new episode charts. In addition some features were not interacted Link does not enough with its environment. But it's still a good game to discover in the wii console.
  15. Jan 14, 2013
    This is a odd ball type of Zelda game sort of. Although I half to admit the visuals are amazing! The water color backgrounds and foregrounds make this game visually genius! The story is a bit flat and faded at times you really wonder what you are working to achieve in this game as it goes all over the place at times. The upgrades are fun and stamina bar is great although I feelt it shouldThis is a odd ball type of Zelda game sort of. Although I half to admit the visuals are amazing! The water color backgrounds and foregrounds make this game visually genius! The story is a bit flat and faded at times you really wonder what you are working to achieve in this game as it goes all over the place at times. The upgrades are fun and stamina bar is great although I feelt it should have lasted longer. The dungeons are ok at times but seem to be a little let down for what I was looking for. The bosses are decent. Overall a decent Zelda game but not the best. I do love the art work though! Expand
  16. Mar 1, 2013
    An OK game in the series. It seemed to target the a new younger crowd, after going after the more mature with Twilight Princess. This seemed pretty obvious with the rating e10+ (for everyone above 10 years old), compared to Twilight Princess T (for teen).

I was not a fan of the art style, which seemed too "cartoony" and too far from realism. Some people are scared of too much realism, but I cant say Im one of them. I would love to see Zelda fuse with skyrim, offering both colourful environments and dark. I do not think realism would ruin the fantasy feeling. I would like Zelda to be the game version of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings (visually)!

The gameplay is pretty good and I didnt get bored at any part of the game. That has ever happened in any Zelda game though! For a Zelda

The motion controls work the best in this game so far, but its still not great. The input lag and lack of preciseness is still enough to put me off. Id love to see the option to use a regular controller (Wii U pro controller) in the upcoming game. I also miss the times when I could lay in bed sunday mornings and slip into the world of Zelda. The motion controls pretty much ruined that experience. To summarise its a good game, but acording to me the worst instalment in the 3d series. There are plenty of games for the younger crowds, please give us Zelda fans what we want!
  17. Sep 18, 2013
    The motion controls work, the story is good, and the dungeons are good. The sky could have had more things to do in it, and some of the islands should have been in Skyloft (The pumpkin area and the Bamboo cutting mini game) and Fi could have been less annoying. She also could have had more personality.
  18. Nov 20, 2011
    All of you absolute morons rating this a 0 need to stop being jealous that your PS3 and 360's cannot play this masterpiece. You're a cancer to gaming and I hope you all rot with your generic first-person shooters that you defend to the death, and yet bash real innovation like this game with its FLAWLESS controls, design, orchestrated music and 50-100 hours of gameplay. Long live Zelda andAll of you absolute morons rating this a 0 need to stop being jealous that your PS3 and 360's cannot play this masterpiece. You're a cancer to gaming and I hope you all rot with your generic first-person shooters that you defend to the death, and yet bash real innovation like this game with its FLAWLESS controls, design, orchestrated music and 50-100 hours of gameplay. Long live Zelda and this game will sell MILLIONS thank god. Expand
  19. Nov 22, 2011
    Skyward Sword is the Wii game people have been dreaming about ever since the console was announced. The use of motion control is intuitive and interesting, and makes this one of the most unique and legitimately groundbreaking (if not, THE most) Game of the Year candidate of 2011. It's another wonderful entry in a legendary franchise with some actual challenge on the table as well.
  20. May 23, 2012
    so many things were changed, and upgraded in this game, i love the story, BUT. why it didn't get a perfect score, the controls are a pain sometimes. now not complaining i love the challenge of actually controlling a sword to kill your foes. unfortunately its very upsetting sometimes when it doesn't do what you wanted it to do
  21. Nov 26, 2011
    First of all, this is a great game.

It still has room for improvement and one can only notice that it was probably going to be bigger but was cut short... On the plus side, the stuff that made into the game was mostly well done and very polished in typical Nintendo fashion. I had mixed results with the motion controls: they take some time to get used to but once you do, they worked well
    First of all, this is a great game.

I had mixed results with the motion controls: they take some time to get used to but once you do, they worked well to some extent and there are parts where it's truly satisfying to slash, stab, parry, spin and finalize most enemies... other times i was frustrated by how sensitive the controls are as i very often saw changing the position of the sword read as a slash or a slash turning into two slashes when returning the remote to the center, or having a stab turn to a spin attack due to the slightest hint of the nunchuck moving when doing the stab gesture, especially since the combat is very particular in how it let's you deal damage to enemies, the misread gestures make for some infuriating moments in the heat of tense fights that demand precision, sadly subtracting enjoyment in some of them.

The story was fine yet some of the changes I disliked, especially for Zelda, who i think should have played a more active role in this quest as hinted in the beginning and sometimes her actions don't make sense. It'd have been great to see some part where she joins the fight, I mean, she's a student of the knight academy, yet she's the most fragile and delicate I've seen her except for Zelda II where she sleeps the entire game, or maybe have her do the spiritual parts since she's a "Spirit" maiden and those parts didn't involve combat but stealth... instead we get the tired old "sorry, but the princess is in another castle" routine, they paint Zelda and Link's missions as of the utmost importance yet you don't get to see or play any part of what Zelda does which is not much anyways (sorry Zelda, but it's true, i think it's funny my 5 y.o. calls the game "Link")

The Dungeons, Puzzles, and Boss Fights are as great as ever, except when they make you fight the same drawn out boss battle three times... reeks of lengthening the play time through a silly trick and I absolutely hated that. The sky thing and flying on a bird is nowhere near as great as wind waker's sailing was, but it doesn't get in the way either, and the skydiving is pretty cool.

Music's great, especially considering they also used some pieces from Wind Waker which has the best music in a Zelda game, IMO. Fits the mood perfectly, well done guys. It's a shame Nintendo still doesn't want to take the risk to add voice to their Zelda games.

For graphics, all i can add is that the framerate is rock solid... the painting style looks very well and hides muddy textures very well, as long as you keep your expectations in reality... the look of the game won't disappoint.

Thanks for Reading.
  22. Nov 20, 2011
    Maybe the best zelda game yet? Maybe! Skyward sword is another game in the long running series, a series well known for having one of the best games of all time. This game is a masterpiece. Enough said. The gameplay is incredible. Trust me, once you play an hour of SKyward Sword, you will never want to go back to controllers. Wii motion plus is what Zelda is made for. Every enemy isnt,Maybe the best zelda game yet? Maybe! Skyward sword is another game in the long running series, a series well known for having one of the best games of all time. This game is a masterpiece. Enough said. The gameplay is incredible. Trust me, once you play an hour of SKyward Sword, you will never want to go back to controllers. Wii motion plus is what Zelda is made for. Every enemy isnt, WHO CAN HIT EACHOTHER FASTER or somethign like that. It is now, SEE IF YOU CAN LOCATE THE WEAKNESS IN MY STRATEGY AND THEN ATTACK THERE! Trust me it IS amazing. Expand
  23. Nov 26, 2011
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Average User Score: 7.9
    tbd The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Image Skyward Sword is like the perfect mix of the past two Zelda games, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. The graphics and art style are reminiscent of Wind Waker but has the realism of Twilight Princess as well as some of the darker themes. I think people were caught a little off guard by
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Average User Score: 7.9
    tbd
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Image
    Skyward Sword is like the perfect mix of the past two Zelda games, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. The graphics and art style are reminiscent of Wind Waker but has the realism of Twilight Princess as well as some of the darker themes. I think people were caught a little off guard by this game, as even Zelda pros have to learn how to defeat foes they've defeated easily in the past. As for voice acting, it wouldn't be fitting to have voice acting. Imagine, after 25 years and for the anniversary, you finally add voice acting. I personally would hate that because I'd hate to hear a voice for Link or Zelda etc. If you have a Wii, you owe it to yourself to get this game. It's like Ocarina of Time for the modern day world. Long time Zelda fans will even get a few references to past games, something I enjoyed a lot.The only disappointment is that such a fantastic game came at the end of the Wii's life.
  24. Nov 20, 2011
    I love how jealous these negative reviews are. Just because the game is better than your copy/paste MW3 or BF3, does not give you the right to nerd-rage and give Skyward Sword a 0. None of these negative reviews have given me any good, solid reason as to why they gave it that score, proving to me that they're just angry Sony/Microsoft fanboys. Don't listen to the negativity. Now onto theI love how jealous these negative reviews are. Just because the game is better than your copy/paste MW3 or BF3, does not give you the right to nerd-rage and give Skyward Sword a 0. None of these negative reviews have given me any good, solid reason as to why they gave it that score, proving to me that they're just angry Sony/Microsoft fanboys. Don't listen to the negativity. Now onto the review: I've played about 60% of the game and I think that I should judge it. First of all the graphics: not an important factor, I know, but the graphics are breathtaking. The overall world is beautiful and it's as if you're looking at masterpiece painting. Truly a work of art and it shows that Nintendo can create beauty even without HD graphics. 10/10 Gameplay: Amazing! Each dungeon will have something new to offer and even before each dungeon you have to A LOT of different things in order to even enter it. The boss battles are fresh, fun, and challenging and each temple requires you to think for a good amount of time before you act. Flying on the Crimson Loftwing is also engaging since it is something different. While it is simlar to Wind Waker's Boat sailing, I do find flying much more enjoyable because I feel you interact with it a lot more, making it less tedious. The game also allows you to dash which is great if you want to get to one point as fast you can. My only problem is that a shield breaks when it loses its shield meter. This is not a huge deal as it takes a while for it to break, and you can always buy another one. It also introduces a new challenge to the game. 9.8/10 Story: Great. The story is about Link trying to find Zelda and trying to forge the master sword, and all these events lead up to the events in Ocarina of Time. It may sound cliched, but when you actually play the game, you will find the story very engaging. You can read more of the story at http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Zelda14-skyward-sword-story.php 9.5/10 Controls: Perfect. The Wii Motion Plus responds to you every movement. It is so satisfying having to swing the sword in one direction and making Link swing it the same direction. It truly leaves the player proud when he or she has defeated and enemy since it's like they're holding the sword themselves. Holding the shield is also very engrossing since you have to flick the nunchuk upwards in order to activate it. Flick it forward to activate the shield bash, similar to the shield attack in Twilight Princess. It's perfect and it is exactly what I wanted the Wii to do in the first place. My only problem is the flying. You have to turn the Wii remote in a certain direction to steer the bird, and this can get a tad bit frustrating sometimes since the controller does not fully respond to this at times. Not a big deal, though. For 98% of the time, the controls are very responsive and very well done. 9.8/10

Music and sounds: Splendid. Every track in this game is beautifully done by a symphony orchestra. Music is always a strong point in Zelda, but I feel that in SS, Nintendo has really outdone itself. Marvelous orchestrated music adds to the suspense and as to the feel of the game, and it really is one of the many assets of the game. The sound effects are also great, such as the "clank" when you hit another enemy's sword with your own. Or when you slice another enemy. Nintendo has truly done a wonderful job in this aspect. 10/10

Overall, Skyward Sword is a fantastic game. From it's graphics, music, and gameplay, the game really shows what Nintendo is truly capable of. It seems as if Nintendo took their time to make this game, and all their hard work was well worth it. This game is the best Wii game, no scratch that, the best game I have picked up. It is a true masterpiece and, in my opinion, ties with Skyrim for Game of the Year. I give this game an overall score of 9.8/10
  25. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is the game of the year 6 years in the making. Everything The Legend of Zelda has stood for is all put together in this game making it the ultimate Zelda experiance ever. The dungeons, bosses, characters, and RPG elements are the best the zelda series has had. Every temple was refreshing and unique and the bosses were all very random and surprising! The wii motion plus made theThis game is the game of the year 6 years in the making. Everything The Legend of Zelda has stood for is all put together in this game making it the ultimate Zelda experiance ever. The dungeons, bosses, characters, and RPG elements are the best the zelda series has had. Every temple was refreshing and unique and the bosses were all very random and surprising! The wii motion plus made the game feel less like a grind during combat and made every fight feel special. Anyone complaining that it was not exact or was hard to use was doing it wrong i swear. This is the best game i have ever played in my life and ive never given a perfect ten to a game in all my life but this game easily decieves it if not even more. I have been a hardcore gamer for the passed 14 years and Ive never had a more enjoyable gaming experiance. I hope this helped in anyones desision to ignore the negative reviews and buy this amazing game! Expand
  26. Oct 29, 2012
    Easily the best Zelda since Majora's Mask and the biggest leap forward in modern gaming since Ocarina of Time. The controls are flawless, the combat is fluent, the puzzle-solving is top-notch, and the music is easily the best in the franchise. Any Wii owner would be a fool to miss out on this work of art. Truly a masterpiece.
  27. May 5, 2012
    The best game of 2011 and the only title thats on par with OoT. If you were disappointed with Twilight Princess. I can almost assure you that you will have a better time with this. The main problem with this game, however, its the stamina meter, which you will have to just get used. The best part of the storyline, once you finish the game, you'll understand why things happened the way theyThe best game of 2011 and the only title thats on par with OoT. If you were disappointed with Twilight Princess. I can almost assure you that you will have a better time with this. The main problem with this game, however, its the stamina meter, which you will have to just get used. The best part of the storyline, once you finish the game, you'll understand why things happened the way they did in the previous games. (This is the first game in the LoZ timeline) Go pick up this game right now!!! Expand
  28. May 11, 2013
    I don't know why this game has been receiving such low user reviews. I believe the people who gave it a low score didn't give it much of a chance in the get go, it was doomed to fail in their eyes to begin with.
    First, let me address the issues of the controls. Don't let those other reviews fool you, the controls work phenomenally. I admit that at first, I was having trouble with the controls, until I realized the fault was on me and not on the controls. It takes getting used to, but once your mind becomes more familiar with the motion sensor and the fluidity of the game, Link will be come as precise as a Sushi Chef.
    This game is truly fit to be a Zelda game. The impressionist art style is beautiful, and the story is very compelling. It truly blends the series together and allows you to see each game in the series in a new light.
    I was a bit skeptical about the stamina system at first, but now I can't imagine this game without it. It's perfectly implemented and I dare even say innovative to the series. The mini-games are fun and creative and the Boss battles are a hell lotta fun. There's an upgrade system to your weapons, and there's even a hard mode once you beat the game.
    The only problem I have with this game, is the limited item space. I dislike the idea, that I have to take up two slots of the item pouch, in order to have all heart containers at a given time. However, it's a small problem, and this game still receives a perfect score from me.
  29. Jul 2, 2013
    This game just kicks ass. It has got everything a new Zelda requires and more. Just do yourself the favour and play it. I had to get the wii-motion plus especially to play this and I don't regret the money spent. Skyward sword is one of the best games, I ever played, even though it naturally doesn't reach the full magic of Ocarina of Time. It certainly can stand for itslef
  30. Oct 19, 2013
    Control of the game unusual, but intuitive. Music smart, she impregnated with the spirit of adventure. Gameplay innovations suffered (Hook for example) and played well. Of course the game is not without drawbacks, management sometimes fails, and can not get bored. Besides displaying bad characters.
  31. Dec 6, 2013
    Amazing. This game takes advantage of all of the Wii's capabilities, and is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played (a word that I seldom use for games). Surprised it made me feel this mushy, but the characters are actually well made this time around! Gameplay and puzzles are perfection too. Before playing this game, I said that nothing could ever beat Twilight Princess, but nowAmazing. This game takes advantage of all of the Wii's capabilities, and is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played (a word that I seldom use for games). Surprised it made me feel this mushy, but the characters are actually well made this time around! Gameplay and puzzles are perfection too. Before playing this game, I said that nothing could ever beat Twilight Princess, but now I'm in doubt. Hope the Wii U gets a Zelda game half this good. Expand
  32. Mar 3, 2014
    arguably the greatest Zelda game. It has some uniqueness against the other Zelda's which makes for some promising gameplay. You get a giant bird which you fly on which is insanely fun, and you have motion controls which your Wii remote works as your sword perfectly, I mean if you make a circle with your Wii remote Link's sword will do the same and so combat actually feels realistic. Thearguably the greatest Zelda game. It has some uniqueness against the other Zelda's which makes for some promising gameplay. You get a giant bird which you fly on which is insanely fun, and you have motion controls which your Wii remote works as your sword perfectly, I mean if you make a circle with your Wii remote Link's sword will do the same and so combat actually feels realistic. The game is insanely long, it took me more than 60 hours to beat, making this the longest Zelda game. All around Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword is a very fun must buy. Expand
  33. Jul 22, 2014
    The critics on this site should be ashamed for the way they review stuff. Why is it that every single Zelda game regardless of whether it is a good game gets a 90+. This game was pretty fun, but it does the typical **** that Nintendo loves to do in Zelda games now where a huge part of it is just stupid filler garbage. I never beat this game, but I got to dungeon 6 and realized that all IThe critics on this site should be ashamed for the way they review stuff. Why is it that every single Zelda game regardless of whether it is a good game gets a 90+. This game was pretty fun, but it does the typical **** that Nintendo loves to do in Zelda games now where a huge part of it is just stupid filler garbage. I never beat this game, but I got to dungeon 6 and realized that all I had to look forward to was a crappy dungeon where you use mole claws as a tool to enter into some weird mini game where link tunnels around. Then after that you backtrack through all the old areas and collect pointless items like tad tones. I saw the ending and it was cool, but not worth going through a bunch of post game garbage that shouldn't have even been included. Expand
  34. Nov 21, 2011
    this is one of the most creative and beatiful games off all time with some of the most unique graphics to date, this game has the best motion controls of all the games this gen, a 50 to 100 or more hours of adventure with a amazing story, lots of side quests, and great cut scenes this is a long game worth your time and money, this is best game ever
  35. Dec 23, 2011
    If you're a fan of the Zelda series, check this out for the wii motion plus control system, adds an entire new element to the combat system. If you're not a fan of the Zelda series, what rock have you been hiding under, buy a wii, buy this game, save Zelda, be a hero. I've read a couple of bad reviews saying motion lag, and that the controls don't work properly (e.g. you can't controlIf you're a fan of the Zelda series, check this out for the wii motion plus control system, adds an entire new element to the combat system. If you're not a fan of the Zelda series, what rock have you been hiding under, buy a wii, buy this game, save Zelda, be a hero. I've read a couple of bad reviews saying motion lag, and that the controls don't work properly (e.g. you can't control which direction you swing the sword from), personally I have no idea what they're talking about, I can only assume they have the wii sensor bar buried underneath a mountain of junk, or that they don't know their left from their right, if you can't control THIS game, it's not the game, you as a gamer just have very bad coordination reminiscent of 12 year olds that tantrum when people won't let them win whilst playing HALO online....
    Overall, this is a fantastic game, typical of Nintendo, graphics are polished, although my one criticism is that of the console, this game would've looked fantastic in 1080p, but oh well. Musical score is fantastic. Controls are brilliant. The puzzles have been well thought out and really challenge you even if you're used to Zelda style puzzles. The major thing that blew me away however, was the story, I found myself wanting to save Zelda, wanting to help people, wanting to find out the dark past of the land. Buy it, you will not be disappointed.
  36. Nov 20, 2012
    A good game but a bad Zelda game. Zelda is held to higher standards than other franchises and this is just a step backwards. The variety in enemies is low, the combat is boring and consists of waggling your wiimote for most enemies, the dungeons are short and easy, it's extremely linear, and there is too much back tracking.
  37. Jan 24, 2013
    This games motion controls were so bad I didn't even want to play to the first dungeon. I didn't like the art style, but it was better than Wind Wakers. The controls killed it.
  38. Nov 30, 2011
    Good game not better than ocarina of time. People who say the controls dont work are dumb **** The only time when the controls get bad is when you switch items. the graphics in the game are alright gameplay feels a little different from past games. The only complaint I have with the game is that its too easy.
  39. Nov 20, 2011
    I was never really big fan of Zelda series, but this one is epic. It's really different from other games of Zelda series. Controls are working greatly, graphics are nice but why should I care about graphics - they don't make gameply better. Game is decently chalanging which is welcomed though bosses are easy (at least four bosses I fought). I really like all those sky boxes, upgrades andI was never really big fan of Zelda series, but this one is epic. It's really different from other games of Zelda series. Controls are working greatly, graphics are nice but why should I care about graphics - they don't make gameply better. Game is decently chalanging which is welcomed though bosses are easy (at least four bosses I fought). I really like all those sky boxes, upgrades and other secret stuff. Game hasn't much side quests, but that small about it has is great. Story is 100 percent better than in any other Nintendo game.
    Downsides: In Earth temple it's sometimes horribly hard to proceed (hard to figure out way)
    For most of guys who rated with 0 as soon as this game was relaesed - play at least one hour from the damned game before rating.
  40. Nov 23, 2011
    Great 1:1 motion controls, a fantastic story, great gameplay and puzzles, the overall difficulty, and the Boss battles are fantastic. I would reccomend to anyone, this is worth buying a wii for.
  41. Jun 17, 2012
    A truly gorgeous game with an engaging story, masterful controls and epic soundtrack. This is an adventure you don't want to come to an end. The only glaring flaw is see in this game is that the tutorial is way too long and a little off putting, but after that its an epic journey until the end.
  42. Jun 7, 2012
    This game was great, but the opposite of simple. The control wasn't very good and calibrating the wii motion plus was a pain. I would be pointing in the middle of the screen and my cursor was so far to the right you almost couldn't see it, the skyward strike took at least 10 minutes to do, and selecting items from your pouch should have been move the d-pad to select, not move the remote.This game was great, but the opposite of simple. The control wasn't very good and calibrating the wii motion plus was a pain. I would be pointing in the middle of the screen and my cursor was so far to the right you almost couldn't see it, the skyward strike took at least 10 minutes to do, and selecting items from your pouch should have been move the d-pad to select, not move the remote. The silent realm was a nightmare, i avoided the game for months thanks to it, the silent realm will drive you nuts, and is sure to have you angry. I also can't thrust, so trying to beat the cross dresser, bizarre Ghirahim was really difficult. Let's look at the positive, the music was the best i've ever heard in a zelda game, the areas were different and amazing to look at, the creatures were almost cooler than ever, and finally the characters and the side quests are the funnest parts of the game. Expand
  43. Jun 30, 2012
    Pros: I certainly enjoyed this creative game and I have been a loyal zelda fan since Link's Awakening on GB back in 1995. All of the Wii motion controls were implemented near flawlessly and I enjoyed using them in the game, they never really became obnoxious of any sort. They made the game challenging in a very good way. The art design is fresh and the impressionistic portrayal of the farPros: I certainly enjoyed this creative game and I have been a loyal zelda fan since Link's Awakening on GB back in 1995. All of the Wii motion controls were implemented near flawlessly and I enjoyed using them in the game, they never really became obnoxious of any sort. They made the game challenging in a very good way. The art design is fresh and the impressionistic portrayal of the far scenery makes me feel like I'm exploring one huge painting and brings back memories of Super Mario 64. The story & main quest is heartfelt, lengthy, and provides character development as well as unexpected turns throughout. Most of the characters have their own marvelous personality and problems that you can help fix, and they remember you justly for your good deeds. I like the newly implemented potion making & item upgrading systems. I would find myself spending hours exploring the worlds looking for ingredients. There are a solid amount of new & reintroduced items to use; and for the most part they are used very well, and remain fun & useful after the dungeon you earned them in. Cons: The side-quest area is seriously lacking in my honest opinion. There were only about 2 sidequests & 1 mini-game I thoroughly enjoyed, and there are about 13 side quests and I think 5 mini-games. This still isn't enough in a Zelda game even if they lack substance. The main quest can take anywhere from 40-60 hours to complete, while the side content can only provide 10-15 hours max. Zelda games have always been known for having side content standing up to the main quest, and sadly it isn't true here. And you don't get very good rewards for alot of the side-quests anyways. Also whenever you pick up and ingredient or bug, no matter whether it's new or not, you have to go through a little cutscene and read about whatever you picked up every single time. This gets ridiculously annoying very fast. There is also a "Hero Mode" after you beat the game the first time, and it allows you to play through again with all the enemies doing double damage. Sadly that's all it adds to the experience and that is definitely not enough incentive to play through the game again. Now I can honestly say that every dungeon is truly amazing and stands up with some of the best dungeons in Zelda history; but I was seriously dissapointed with a couple of the bosses, and I won't give away why, but I was and you might find out why if you choose to decide to buy the game. Because I still believe it is worth buying and is a above-average entry to the legendary Zelda series. Just don't expect it to fullfill all of your expectations, because I know that this wasn't everyones' cup of tea, even for die-hard Zelda fans. But you're getting a solid review from one right now! The game is about a 7.8 but it's either 7 or 8 on here. So it gets an 8. Expand
  44. Jan 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best game I've ever completed and the longest at that too. Heck you don't even complete the game after you beat the final boss and finish the story so I'm yet to continue on.

The gameplay is decent, nothing amazing, but you'll notice from the start that SS is a game that uses the Wiimote to the best of it's ability.

Anyone who hasn't played or completed this game is missing out.
  45. Nov 18, 2012
    All I can realy say is it's amazing. The Game is just brilliant in Story wise and Music Wise but the motion controls could of been better as you always had to calabrate the remote. Verdict: An Amazing game for Nintendo and Zelda fans as the Story is great but if you don't like motion controls this game is not for you. A must have game in your collection.The graphics are the best the wiiAll I can realy say is it's amazing. The Game is just brilliant in Story wise and Music Wise but the motion controls could of been better as you always had to calabrate the remote. Verdict: An Amazing game for Nintendo and Zelda fans as the Story is great but if you don't like motion controls this game is not for you. A must have game in your collection.The graphics are the best the wii can handle and the art style is amazing.
    Presentation:10/10 Gameplay:9/10 Sound:10/10 Graphics:10/10 Replay Value:10/10 Overall:9/10
  46. Dec 31, 2012
    The beginning of the legend. Skyward Sword to me happens to be the best Zelda game since "Majora's Mask". The Nintendo Wii was made for the experience using motion controls, and Skyward Sword is one of very few games on the Wii which happens to get the motion controls working correctly. The game suffers from linearity like the majority of the latest Nintendo games--not a terribleThe beginning of the legend. Skyward Sword to me happens to be the best Zelda game since "Majora's Mask". The Nintendo Wii was made for the experience using motion controls, and Skyward Sword is one of very few games on the Wii which happens to get the motion controls working correctly. The game suffers from linearity like the majority of the latest Nintendo games--not a terrible thing--not for me, though you may be turned off due to the linearity. Skyward Sword focuses more on combat and puzzle solving than any other Zelda game to date. Being the origin of the entire Zelda universe, it would've thought to have been lacking a great plot and story, though Skyward Sword soars and does offer a rather lovely tale. The overall appearance of the game which is completely subject is a bit of a problem. When half of the people who play the game consider the game to look "bad" or "not my thing" there will be problems. Imagine both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess mixed in one--pretty freaky. The core fans will either love it or hate it while the average fan will generally accept it...it's been a bad run for the series due to (in my opinion) the poor releases Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Nintendo learned from their mistakes, though made mistakes in other areas. Expand
  47. LHy
    Sep 28, 2013
    Epic, fun, entertaining, challenging, this game is the complete package, you will get your money's worth. The soundtrack takes you back to old Zelda, its a real nice feeling.
  48. Aug 6, 2014
    Skyword Sword is a prime example of why you can't trust critic reviews for a blockbuster game. 93 Critic Metascore, 7.9 user score.

Skyword is the retarded, bastard son of the Zelda series. It had lofty ideas that were poorly implemented. First, using the Wii-mote Plus was so frustratingly cumbersome because the Wii was just unable to detect it accurately. That was essentially the only reason the boss fights were any challenge at all. It felt like I was playing the QWOP version of Zelda. It would've been much better with a GC controller.

The story was decent, but Zelda games are never about the story. Skyward Sword has some of the worst dungeons of all Zelda games. If its puzzles were twice as smart, they'd still be grossly stupid. In terms of gameplay, SS was basically the CoD equivalent of adventure games--it was very linear. You go from point A to B to C without much of any thought. Gone were the brilliant puzzles of OoT and LttP. Skyward Sword's dungeons all felt 1-dimensional.

The game was also tediously long. Getting from any place to another required minutes of flying in the sky, which didn't really add anything to the gameplay. Being able to teleport between owls would've fixed that. Lastly, the songs (with the exception of Fi's Theme and the Gate of Time) were quite repetitive and annoying.

Criticisms out of the way, it was still a decent game. It just was nowhere near the level of its predecessors.
  49. Oct 28, 2014
    Don't listen to bad reviews, they're just pissed because of the motion controls and more linear structure, but that doesn't make this game any less a Zelda game. The motion controls work great, and the story, while not the strongest in the series, it's quite good. Same with the music, it's great.

Going into the stuff this game does right, there are the dungeons; this game has easily the strongest set of dungeons in the series and the bosses are as good as Ocarina's and Twilight's. It also has the best characters and character development, with a Zelda that you actually care about. The game is colorful and it's one of the best looking games on the Wii. One worry I had was that it would overuse the motion controls like most Wii games, thankfully it doesn't.

Now, for what the game did wrong, it feels kind of linear because you go back to the first three areas twice, the difference each time you go back is that you explore new regions. People use this as an excuse to say that it's linear, but it's just an illusion. The other major thing I have issues with is Fi, she is by far worse than Navi. This are all just little complaints that don't really affect much the experience.

This is a must play if you have a Wii, and remember, don't listen to the bad reviews.
  50. May 1, 2012
    Skyward Sword deserves to be thought of just as highly as Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, two of my favorite games for their respective systems. There's no question that Skyward Sword will be one of the top games in the Wii's lifetime. The change in controls gives new perspective on how gamers can play a Zelda game, let alone an adventure game, and makes it more than just another iterationSkyward Sword deserves to be thought of just as highly as Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, two of my favorite games for their respective systems. There's no question that Skyward Sword will be one of the top games in the Wii's lifetime. The change in controls gives new perspective on how gamers can play a Zelda game, let alone an adventure game, and makes it more than just another iteration of what I consider to be one of Nintendo's top-tier series. The new setting is full of winks and nods to the games that preceded it and an avid Zelda fan like myself can't help but light up when a reference is noticed. I've played a lot of great games this year, but no other game has made me feel so good about enjoying my time with it. Skyward Sword is engaging, accessible and highly capable of being considered a classic by many in this gaming generation. Expand
  51. Apr 6, 2013
    Ive yet to play a zelda game i would not give a 10 to. So maybe im biased. From nes to now its amazing how far we have came link and I. And honestly this is my number 2 on my list. Wind waker was my pick cause of how different it was. But thats how this shines. Its windwaker but in the sky, and the controls make your really feel they put time into the game. Turn your remote or aim in upIve yet to play a zelda game i would not give a 10 to. So maybe im biased. From nes to now its amazing how far we have came link and I. And honestly this is my number 2 on my list. Wind waker was my pick cause of how different it was. But thats how this shines. Its windwaker but in the sky, and the controls make your really feel they put time into the game. Turn your remote or aim in up and his hand follows. Small details like that really show the bun in the oven is nice and toasty. Expand
  52. Oct 12, 2014
    I have played every zelda game so far. I am a huge fan of the series, but this may be the worst one in my opinion. My main objection is with the combat style. The sword follows the wii remotes movements. You have to swing at the openings in the opponent's defense. The angle of the swing is very important and I just can't control it properly. When i wind up for a backhand swing, LinkI have played every zelda game so far. I am a huge fan of the series, but this may be the worst one in my opinion. My main objection is with the combat style. The sword follows the wii remotes movements. You have to swing at the openings in the opponent's defense. The angle of the swing is very important and I just can't control it properly. When i wind up for a backhand swing, Link just swings forehand right into the enemies' block and then staggers backwards. Its clumsy and frustrating. Everything else is good and the flying system is great. But overall I have lost interest and don't think i will ever finish the game. Expand
  53. Aug 6, 2013
    Another great title release by Nintendo, and another great release in the Zelda franchise. What this game does is add more innovation that naturally comes with Wii style gameplay. Adding motion controls for a Zelda game adds more of a variety of puzzle solving and strategy to enemy fights.

On the downside, it seems the motion-controls are a two-edged sword forcing to have to sit up and play optimally rather than sitting back and enjoying a regular controller, it would have been nice if Nintnedo included an option to use regualr controllers, but with new types of puzzles to solve it only makes sense that they'd have to put those types of controls in there. The motion controls could be a little more responsive, but don't let that discourage you from using a little patience to master them; it's still definitely a playable game and an enjoyable one at that!

The storyline is good showing off more of Link's emotion. Seeing Zelda's new Sanguine personality is heart-warming at the very least, and the game adds some interesting new characters to the mix as well.

Even though this isn't the best Zelda in my opinion, it is still a very good game, and should still be in your library, if you own a Wii.
  54. Jul 1, 2014
    look, i believe that this game is good, but it is just not for me. this game is too slow in the beginning and doesn't go faster after that. some of the characters are SO annoying. Zelda, Groose, Fi. I'm not lying that the first world took me 6 HOURS. in this game (just as any other zelda game) you can collect items for potions, and if you collect it for the first time they explain it toolook, i believe that this game is good, but it is just not for me. this game is too slow in the beginning and doesn't go faster after that. some of the characters are SO annoying. Zelda, Groose, Fi. I'm not lying that the first world took me 6 HOURS. in this game (just as any other zelda game) you can collect items for potions, and if you collect it for the first time they explain it too you as usual, BUT EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU TURN OFF THE GAME AND COLLECT AN ITEM AGAIN IT TELLS YOU AGAIN WHAT IT DOES. this get to you frustrated really fast. i got so mad that i didn't came further than half the second world. the music also feels.............not that great, boring too be honest.
    i'm sorry but this game is just not for me.
  55. Nov 29, 2011
    it looks like the critics are even trying to sabotage this game, this game is everything i wanted and more well done Nintendo! the graphics are 10 for artistic merit, motion controls 10 for evolving the Zelda franchise, story is the most dramatic so far in the series, sorry but this is getting a 10.
  56. Nov 25, 2011
    I've played every Zelda game since 1987, so I was pretty pumped for Skyward Sword. The first warning sign was when the game required WiiMotionPlus to function. With the imminent release of the Wii U, and no other major first party games to be released on the Wii, Im left believing that the sole purpose for this is to add a secret $40 to the price tag. It certainty didn't add to any gameI've played every Zelda game since 1987, so I was pretty pumped for Skyward Sword. The first warning sign was when the game required WiiMotionPlus to function. With the imminent release of the Wii U, and no other major first party games to be released on the Wii, Im left believing that the sole purpose for this is to add a secret $40 to the price tag. It certainty didn't add to any game play. Many times during the game, it demanded a vertical swing. Simple enough, right? swing the remote in a verticle slice. WRONG! THAT WASNT FLAT, THERE WAS A SLIGHT ANGLE! TRY AGAIN!....after 30 more attempts, finally Link decides to throw me a bone and hit the target. 30 hours in, I still had to pray my wrist wouldn't snap in half from trying to direct the Possibly Polio-ridden Link to dive, or throw a bomb: both actions that we're perfect 20 years ago by the innovation of an 'A' button. If you can get past the needless, frustrating and sadistic controls, then you'll find creative dungeons, compelling-ish story (Still dont really know the justification for the first half of the game) and some good adventuring. Im just skeptical of any game where the boss can be defeated (not joking here) by flailing my limbs around for 2 minutes Expand
  57. Jan 8, 2012
    I was so excited for this game but overall it kind of left me disappointed. It is not the best game for the wii (Mario Galaxy) and there is no way it is the best game in the series although it would probably be in the top 5 for both. (My top Zeldas btw in order are: Link to the past, Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Link's Awakening THEN skyward). Even the wii game of theI was so excited for this game but overall it kind of left me disappointed. It is not the best game for the wii (Mario Galaxy) and there is no way it is the best game in the series although it would probably be in the top 5 for both. (My top Zeldas btw in order are: Link to the past, Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Link's Awakening THEN skyward). Even the wii game of the year I would have to give to Xenoblade over Skyward Sword and it was a pretty rough year for the wii. Here are my reasons for a 7.5.
    Pros:
    It's Zelda
    Motion controls done as they should be and work most the time
    Impressive puzzle design
    Loved how Link was more athletic
    Loved the "time capsule" levels

Cons:
    First NO over world to explore. I loved the twilight princess world and was hoping for expansion.
    Only 3 worlds that you return to like 4 times
    Time for voice acting (ok to leave Link out)
    No hidden faries for upgrades
    Fight same bosses up to 3x
    Pick a graphic style and stick to it: Skyward sword and Twilight both looked great don't need to fuse them rather improve them.
    Motion controls often need resetting
    Weak side quests
    The shadow realms: one or two is enough!
    Kept feeling like something big was coming but nothing did.
    Repetitive

The game does lay a nice foundation to build upon for the Wii U which will be able to bring a more powerful experience in areas other than just control. That I am excited for!
  58. Nov 24, 2011
    The game delivered exactly what fans hoped for and what casual players can enjoy. I don't see why you would alter the succeful formula of dungeons when they are so brilliantly made. The story is one that is worth paying attention to and the soundtrack is good as ever. I have no problem whatsoever with the motion controls, i find them a fresh take on playing a game that fits well. Surely ifThe game delivered exactly what fans hoped for and what casual players can enjoy. I don't see why you would alter the succeful formula of dungeons when they are so brilliantly made. The story is one that is worth paying attention to and the soundtrack is good as ever. I have no problem whatsoever with the motion controls, i find them a fresh take on playing a game that fits well. Surely if the game isn't for you, there is no reason to call it a bad game.. Expand
  59. Mar 7, 2012
    Pretty darn good. Third best Zelda in the bunch only to A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. The water color art style looked great yet I am really hoping for a more realistic art style in the next installment on the Wii U
  60. Nov 22, 2011
    This is a really really good game, the controls work very well after you get used to them, you can NOT waggle your way through, people who say you can obviously didn't make it out of Skyloft before doing their reviews. It's a really good story, the relationships feel less forced this time around and the characters are creative and come to life throughout the game. The people who have beenThis is a really really good game, the controls work very well after you get used to them, you can NOT waggle your way through, people who say you can obviously didn't make it out of Skyloft before doing their reviews. It's a really good story, the relationships feel less forced this time around and the characters are creative and come to life throughout the game. The people who have been giving this game a 0 are idiots, some named good points meaning the game to them obviously was somewhat good to them, they are just giving 0s to be trolls. I personally believe this game deserves a 9.5 I wouldn't give any game a 10 but this game comes close to it. Expand
  61. Dec 27, 2011
    Skyward Sword is the first and only Zelda game built ground up for the Wii and makes extensive use of Wii Motion Plus in nearly every aspect of its designs. Overall I believe this to be among the better Zelda games and a significantly better game than the Wii version of Twilight Princess in terms of its controls and level design. I don't need to describe much else because if it's a ZeldaSkyward Sword is the first and only Zelda game built ground up for the Wii and makes extensive use of Wii Motion Plus in nearly every aspect of its designs. Overall I believe this to be among the better Zelda games and a significantly better game than the Wii version of Twilight Princess in terms of its controls and level design. I don't need to describe much else because if it's a Zelda game, they all follow the same design principles. What this one did right: The sword combat is the most engaging it's ever been. Every single enemy requires special attention in order to to be defeated. This includes proper sword swings and blocking/countering. Countering is especially neat, allowing you to stun enemies with a well-timed shield bash that deflects an attack, but a poorly timed one will still block an attack at the cost of shield integrity. The sword controls can be a bit much to get used to, but when I was more careful, swung with my whole arm and made more deliberate arm movements I found that accuracy of the sword fighting to be 100%. At worst when I was flicking my wrist around and flinching it was as low as 30%. It takes some practice and technique, but once mastered is a profoundly rewarding system. Going to back to earlier Zelda games, the combat suddenly feels empty and bland. Skyward Sword answers a question I didn't know I had, and this is one reason why Skyward Sword is perhaps the best 3D Zelda game yet. Another is the level design. There are only a few major areas, and each has a predictable theme you've already seen before. That doesn't really matter much in the long run. The environments are meticulously designed and incredibly well-used. As the game progressed, the environments changed in ways that surprised and impressed even me, a 20 year veteran on the series. The maps are also the most detailed, colorful and easy to use of any 3D Zelda. The dungeons are often brilliant. In many ways they are a return to basics, yet explore new avenues in their own ways. One aspect I was floored by is that enemies do not reappear after you've killed them unless you quit the game or leave the dungeon entirely. This lent a even more powerful sensation to combat, that each encounter was final and satisfying. The puzzles are really slick, in particular towards the end there is some of the best dungeon puzzles I've ever seen, and certainly the best incorporation of different items and skills together in the same breaths. The menus and interfaces for navigating your items are also the most accessible and don't hurt the flow of game, everything is seamless. The items feel great on the Wii motion plus, the bow packs a punch, the beetle is just sweet and other returning members such as the bombs have new functionality. The items all worked flawlessly for me, no control issues except for the occasional centering. Which brings to what the game did wrong: the really could have used the senor bar to auto-center the controller like Wii Sports Resort did. The camera was also an issue, at this point there really should be a comprehensive solution the a 3D camera and there isn't. No right stick, no D-pad control like many other superb Wii games have utilized. Nothing but Z-targeting and looking around in first person with C button. So in order to look at something, I have to either switch my method of viewing the world entirely and slowly turn towards it, or snap the camera around with the Z button, guessing which way exactly I need to face to get the best view. It's just clunky, they had five years to figure something out. I would have taken some simple rotation control on the D-Pad, and those buttons on the D-pad are not even used for anything. Very unfortunate. There's to much talking, the new side kick is a very, very talkative character and her text moves very, very slowly. Even mashing the A button barely speeds things up. At this point, we really outta be past the constant instruction. She even repeats the same blasted instructions you've heard before, just because well in case you forgot, ugh. Overall, I very much recommend Skyward Sword to any fan of action adventure and Zelda games. Ultimately, a willingness to learn new control schemes and adapt to them will be the best indicator, this game isn't for everyone. It's the toughest 3D Zelda yet, has the most moving soundtrack, has a fantastic new inventory and upgrading system and all kinds of other anachronistic features and elements that will polarize your emotions against themselves. It certainly did to me, and initially I didn't like Skyward Sword. In time it revealed itself to me, but not without some extra effort and tolerance on my end. Despite Nintendo's ultra-inclusive philosophies on design, the only Zelda game made for the Wii is also the most challenging. Skyward Sword is great both because and despite this. It will be loved and hated. For what it's worth, I found it a road well worth traveling. Expand
  62. Dec 30, 2011
    I'm sorry, but as a true fan of Zelda, I must say this with sorrow in my heart: Skyward Sword is not the perfect game the reviews are telling us.

It's a good game, true, but it has many annoying elements that could be better: control more precise, more dungeons, less repetitive worlds, do not leave all the good stuff for the final moments, include day/night or include chickens! Anyway,

Anyway, the game is adictive and the story is amazing ;)
  63. Jul 5, 2014
    I am giving this game a 7 for admittedly selfish reason of I couldn't finish the game. Not because of gameplay...gameplay was awesome no doubt about it. I'm giving this a 7 because Fi ruined every aspect of my experience. OMG this character is the most annoying thing ever. She wouldn't shut up about her unnecessary statistics about things we can figure on our own. Worst of all, I couldn'tI am giving this game a 7 for admittedly selfish reason of I couldn't finish the game. Not because of gameplay...gameplay was awesome no doubt about it. I'm giving this a 7 because Fi ruined every aspect of my experience. OMG this character is the most annoying thing ever. She wouldn't shut up about her unnecessary statistics about things we can figure on our own. Worst of all, I couldn't just mute the game to avoid her nonsense because Fi would pause my battles for her to give obvious adv---SHUT UP I DON'T CARE!! I want to strangle this person who pitched Fi to be included in this game. Expand
  64. Mar 25, 2012
    I played the game almost all the way through, but unfortunately I got so frustrated that I gave up. Game itself is OK, although nowhere near as captivating as it's predecessors. There was "too much of the same" all the way through and it failed to match the magic previous games had. Unfortunately it did not have as many towns to visit as previous ones, sky island was too small for myI played the game almost all the way through, but unfortunately I got so frustrated that I gave up. Game itself is OK, although nowhere near as captivating as it's predecessors. There was "too much of the same" all the way through and it failed to match the magic previous games had. Unfortunately it did not have as many towns to visit as previous ones, sky island was too small for my liking and the story got me tired. That enemy guy looked more like something from DBZ than a villain that belongs to the Zelda Universe. I got to the Sand Ship boss and my wiimote and nunchuk did everything they could to sour my experience.
    All the way through the game I found controls tedious at the best and they ruined many a fun moment for me.
    I think they tried too hard to push for the wiimote functionality that they screwed the controls up that the game was no fun to play at all. Bloody thing got de-calibrated so often that I spent ages just adjusting it.
    It was not that much of a problem in low intense areas but with that sand ship boss the experience became unbearable. You are switching from the sword to the bow and arrows, have barely a few seconds to shoot him, and your screen starts spinning like a **** you are desperately trying to calibrate it, and the chance of shooting him is gone and what is worse, because you are in the first person mode, you get disoriented and get pummeled in the end. It is really annoying when you know exactly what to do, but the game flaws your attempts. Eventually I got it done, but then asked myself if it was worth it, decided it felt more like a waste of time than fun it should be and gave up on the game all together.
    And I blame Nintendo for it. So here you go have your 5 ( I wanted to do zero, but I could not justify it to myself) And if it was not a Zelda game I would probably give it 7 but after decades of setting the bar so high they have to be marked on their own merits.
  65. Mar 23, 2012
    Perfect, beautiful art direction. The music was amazing, and the controls were tight (once you got used to them). This game beat out ALTTP as my fav Zelda game of all time, and that means something. Good job Nintendo! This, is why I love you guys. :)
  66. Jun 10, 2012
    Amazing game, the controls works great, someone saying different can't set up there Wii's correct.
    Music is very good start to finish, story best to date, graphics beat PS3 anyday even on the Wii, now stop reading and go buy it, you won't be sorry!
  67. Jan 4, 2013
    Skyward Sword is a game of bests and worsts. Its motion controls are everything Nintendo promised, and a feature that should be carried over to future titles. Where it fails is in its mise en scene, variety and atmosphere. Repetition of the same areas and flying across the sky (to islands that, unlike Wind Waker, often hold little secrets) takes away the game's potential majesty, and theSkyward Sword is a game of bests and worsts. Its motion controls are everything Nintendo promised, and a feature that should be carried over to future titles. Where it fails is in its mise en scene, variety and atmosphere. Repetition of the same areas and flying across the sky (to islands that, unlike Wind Waker, often hold little secrets) takes away the game's potential majesty, and the music, while amazing in some places, is dull and repetitive in the fields of the game's main areas. The story, while suitably complex, lacks any visible threat within the game world to compel the player. That said, the areas, though repeated, are well-designed and hold many secrets. In short, it is a game whose brilliant parts cannot quite make up for its letdowns. Expand
  68. Jun 14, 2013
    Ambitious but disappointing. Whilst game scores are often arbitrary, two things are certain: 0 means there is absolutely nothing right with the game and 10 means there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Yet Skyward Sword is littered with perfect scores creating high expectations and a fascade of perfection despite it containing fundamental gameplay errors.

The motion controls are

The motion controls are imprecise and always fail at the worst times. This would not be a problem if precision was a limited requirement, but nearly every enemy is required to be killed in a precise manner. The game is repetitive you will have to visit the same areas again and again, of which there are only three additional areas to the hub town. Nearly all of the side quests are fetch quests and the game constantly pulls you out of the experience with a bland side kick constantly interrupting the game to point out the bleeding obvious, especially after the bleeding obvious was just mentioned. Further, every time you pick up a collectible item the game will pause and open up your inventory and describe the item, despite you having 55 of them already. This all pulls you out of the mood and atmosphere of the game, especially when momentum is being gained. In addition to all this there is nothing extra to do the clouds are littered with islands, yet 90% of them contain nothing of interest it creates an illusion of expansiveness but in reality is disjointed and rather barren; certainly not a staple of the Zelda franchise.

However Nintendo brings a few new players to the table in an attempt to change up the Zelda formula which has been gospel since Ocarina of Time. The dowsing and RPG style inventory upgrading system are new as well as the customary temple treasures however these things either add little or detract from the experience. Dowsing is basically a scrap metal detector when was this fun? The RPG system is distantly related to the Zelda 2 system but ultimately more of a pain than anything as it requires going back to the hub world... AGAIN. The new temple treasures however are a benefit and have a useful life longer than the temple, but many of the items are not as satisfying to use as many of the traditional Zelda treasures, even though they are implemented well with the level design.

Nintendo did have to change up the formula, however it did not really work out for this game the same as it did for Majora's Mask.

Is it worth playing for a non-Zelda fan? Sure. Will you be disappointed if you are a Zelda fan? Likely.
  69. Jan 5, 2013
    This is my favourite game of all time. No lie. I love Zelda games since Ocarina of Time and this is the best of 'em. It uses the Wii remote in creative, unique en mostly NOT gimmicky ways. The Sword combat was a blast, Ghirahim was awesome and the temples were the best. The overworld was boring though and there were quite a lot of things wrong with this game (I have my own website were IThis is my favourite game of all time. No lie. I love Zelda games since Ocarina of Time and this is the best of 'em. It uses the Wii remote in creative, unique en mostly NOT gimmicky ways. The Sword combat was a blast, Ghirahim was awesome and the temples were the best. The overworld was boring though and there were quite a lot of things wrong with this game (I have my own website were I wrote a longer review I'm not going to name all bad things here) but Skyward Sword is so charming and so innovative, yet still Zelda in every way. Not perfect, I know, but defenitly an amazing game. Expand
  70. Jul 18, 2013
    The best Zelda for Wii. The best one since Ocarina of Time in my opinion. Magic places, strategy, maps, characters, items, bosses... Really a masterpiece for Wii that it will get you more than 80 hours if you want to complete it. The game does not need blood, sex or cheap tricks to attract you, it does it already in a genuine and pure way. Definitely, a must one.
  71. Aug 8, 2013
    Skyward Sword is a fantastic game and is without a doubt one of the best Zelda games. Nintendo focused on three things for this game, motion control, story, and making an all around solid game. They definitely succeeded in all three. The story takes place at the beginning of the timeline and it shows. There is no ganon and no hyrule. Instead the villain is the amazing girahim and theSkyward Sword is a fantastic game and is without a doubt one of the best Zelda games. Nintendo focused on three things for this game, motion control, story, and making an all around solid game. They definitely succeeded in all three. The story takes place at the beginning of the timeline and it shows. There is no ganon and no hyrule. Instead the villain is the amazing girahim and the setting is skyloft. What makes the story are the characters, specifically girahim and Zelda. Girahim is both creepy and entertaining, the final battle with him really shows this. Zelda is now Links friend prior to here capture, because of this the player genuinely wants to save her. The gameplay is very motion control heavy but in a good way. Everything from swinging your sword to flying your beetle feels fluid and rarely off. By the end of it, you will never want to go back to regular controls. The graphics in this game take the best of wind waker and twilight princess to create a beautiful game. Overall, Skyward Sword is one of the best games on Wii, one of the best Zelda games, and perhaps the best game of 2011. Expand
  72. Feb 22, 2014
    This game is so horrible that it makes you feel pain. The annoying repetitiousness, linearity in game, horrible bosses, the level design, storyline, the music. This games makes me feel bored every moment when i proceed in the game. I feel like i played another Ocarina of Time clone with horrible design.
  73. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyward Sword is the longest Zelda game. After the 6th Dungeon I thought the game was near the end
    In actuality you are going to solve additional quests beyond that.
    3 dragon quests then a triforce quest a total of 4 spirit leaf missions 3 imprisoned boss fights. completion time, 61. hrs WARNING!!!! Make sure to copy the quest before the last fight. An Alternative story mode will save over
    In actuality you are going to solve additional quests beyond that.
    3 dragon quests
    then a triforce quest
    a total of 4 spirit leaf missions
    3 imprisoned boss fights.
    completion time, 61. hrs
    WARNING!!!!
    Make sure to copy the quest before the last fight. An Alternative story mode will save over your progress.

Skyward Sword is like a semester of school
    first you solve a puzzle, then you are given that same puzzle with different variations.
    You are given chapters with weapons that solve these puzzles in a specific manner.
    You will then have to memorize these puzzles because you will be given a test to solve them again during the later levels. If you fail, you can look in the back of the book a la stone guide.

This is a game that works both your senses and your reflexes. Not too many games require this kind of skill. This game will be remembered far more than recent Zelda titles. It brings back the old spirit that was left behind during the snes days. Best of all, they brought back the beam that fires from the sword. This is the first 3d Zelda to include this mechanic.
  74. Nov 21, 2011
    While I wouldn't say Twilight Princess was a bad game, I think everybody could agree that it was very similar to Ocarina of Time when looking at the details (Zora's been frozen, a demon troubling Death Mountain etc.). I was really hoping Skyward Sword would bring something new to the franchise and what I got was beyong my wildest dreams. Skyward Sword is an entirely new game; the puzzlesWhile I wouldn't say Twilight Princess was a bad game, I think everybody could agree that it was very similar to Ocarina of Time when looking at the details (Zora's been frozen, a demon troubling Death Mountain etc.). I was really hoping Skyward Sword would bring something new to the franchise and what I got was beyong my wildest dreams. Skyward Sword is an entirely new game; the puzzles are new, the characters are new, the world is new and even the story is new. Everything feels very fresh and rich, like the first time we touched upon Ocarina of Time in 1998.

Not everything is perfect, so a full 10 is out of the question. The controls are a bit clunky and the Wii Motion Plus only adds painful muscles to the experience, the new companion is also rather annoying and feels like a copy of GlaDos from portal.

However, the faults are too small to actually ruin the game for me and Skyward Sword makes the franchise fresh for another 25 years.
  75. Feb 11, 2012
    Oh and stop **** about the damn controls... You **** are probably just swinging your Wiimotes wildly like jackass 4 yr olds... Take your time and play like you are actually holding a sword. The realness of gameplay is there if you do this. People can not even swing a full size sword like you can with a controller. Why is Link any different??
  76. Dec 22, 2011
    Best Zelda game and best Wii game I've ever played. I beat the game with 100% completion and I was clocked in at 65 hours of gameplay. Huge game for the Wii. Nintendo did an amazing job with this one and it's worth buying a Wii just for this game! If you are even kind of a Zelda fan, BUY IT!
  77. Nov 20, 2011
    Best Zelda game ever! Hands down. Great graphics gameplay characters and puzzles. Very original. The wii motion plus is very well done and certainly adds to the experience.
  78. Nov 23, 2011
    I have not enjoyed a game this much in a very very long time (not since the first Portal in fact). Is it the best Zelda game ever? Well I think it is equal with Ocarina of Time, and that is one of my favourite games of all time, so make of that as you will.
    The controls for the sword are absolutely perfect, and it is so pleasing just to use the sword that I find myself slashing everything in sight...grass, flowers, signs, just to further enjoy the 1:1 motion controls. Its not a perfect game, but nothing is. The motion controils for flying and swimming are a bit superfluous. But when a game is this good, the few minor complaints dont really mean anything. Some people are complaining about the game being pumped full of padding. But most of the padding is optional (the pumpkin collecting etc)...there if you want it, but not necessary to complete the game. The art style is beautiful, and shows what a decent art department can do with limited hardware. I have been a bit disapointed with recent Zeldas (post Majoras mask), but this is classic. If you like Zelda, or escpaism, or puzzles, or epic battles that involve strategy, then you really have to try this game. The first true classic in many years. If you have never really been into Zelda then this is probably not for you.
  79. Jan 10, 2012
    This is my final review of Skyward Sword after beating 100% of the game.

This is my final review of Skyward Sword after beating 100% of the game.

I have a very lengthy review that sums up the entire story and all elements of the game. However it is far to long to explain in 5000 words. Here are the most important things to know about the story: Skyward Sword occurs before all other released Zelda games. It is essentially the prequel to Ocarina of Time. Zelda is not a princess, but a childhood friend of Link's. The game explains what the Legend of Zelda is! Yes, this game actually explains where the Legend of Zelda originated from. Skyward Sword also tells the back story of the Master Sword and where Gannon originates from. Although Gannon makes no appearance in this game, you learn he is actually the Evil Will of Demise. Long story short is Demise is the main antagonist in this game and when he is defeated, he curses all decedents of Link and Zelda. Basically saying they will always be fighting his demonic will, as his will can never die. Please note, this was a very very rough breakdown of the story. Skyward Sword's story is very deep. There are many cut scenes and text boxes to read through (no voice acting, but I actually prefer Zelda games to be this way). Fans of the Zelda series will appreciate the amount of references to other Zelda games. Once again, this game will explain many things about the origins of many Zelda characters and items. If you've played Ocarina of Time, then the story alone makes this game a must have. Story 10/10.

Moving onto gameplay, Skyward Sword takes full advantage of Wii Motion plus. This means 1:1 sword movements between Link's Sword and your Wii-mote. Your right hand is Link's sword. The entire game is revolved around this and players can expect enemies and puzzles to take advantage of these controls. Enemies will block your attacks unless you attack their weaknesses. Meaning enemies will leave an angle open and you have to attack it. Otherwise, you can swing all day is never land a hit. Now these controls make for a very engaging and satisfying experience. The only drawback from this is sometimes the controls feel over sensitive. Every once in a while Link will do something you don't want him to do. Also, do not fear that you have to stand up and fling your Wii mote around. The controls do not require you to make full sword swing motions, and only require a small flick with your wrist. In all, the controls offer a very innovating and add a new experience to the Zelda series. Gameplay: 10/10

Finally, you can expect Skyward Sword to offer 30-50 hours of content. The main story will take at least 20-30 hours to beat on its own. Add in side quests, mini games, and other activities and you can add on another 20-30 hours. In my first playthrough I got everything in the game (completed all quests, got every item, found all Goddess cubes/chests, upgraded every item, etc) in just under 50 hours. Its also worth noting that once you beat Skyward Sword you are given the option to save over your file and play Hero Mode. Hero mode is basically a more challenging version of the game. All enemies do double damage and enemies never drop hearts unless you have the heart medal. The player is given the option to skip some cut scenes, and a few other perks are given to the player (eg: the Skyward Strike attack is at master sword level as soon as you obtain the Goddess Sword). ITS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ONCE YOU CHOOSE TO OVER RIDE YOUR SAVE FOR HERO MODE THAT YOU'LL LOOSE YOUR NORMAL GAME SAVE!!!! This means if you choose to go hero mode, everything on your save will be lost in favor of the hero mode save. To avoid this, make sure you copy your file before going into Hero mode. Skyward Sword will keep you busy for months to come. 10/10 re-playability.

Some TL DR stuff:
    - 10/10 game, MUST HAVE for Wii owners
    - 7 temples
    -30-50 hours of gameplay (60-100 hours if you complete Hero mode)
    - 1:1 sword control
    - Amazing Story

*Please note I did not mention anything about the areas you will explore. It would take pages to go through all 3 areas, plus the clouds. The only thing to know is Skyward Sword is designed to include "temple elements" throughout the mainland. This means you'll have to constantly solve puzzles and defeat bad guys to gain access to new lands.
  80. Nov 25, 2011
    best game i ever played in my life
    LoZ skyward sword is perfect
    allows exact movements with wii remote
    amazing graphics
    and just a great and enjoyable story line
    i am impressed on how the creators progressed zelda and i cant wait to see what the future holds
  81. Dec 11, 2011
    Controls:
    Controls:
    Great Motion controls. Swinging the sword and using items like the whip or flying beetle is very fun. The Wiimote seems to use the sensor bar to auto calibrate itself and thus it will get confused if there's another source of infrared light in the room such as sun from the window. For best results, play during night time. The sword stabbing can be a bit unresponsive at times but everything else is works pretty good.

Game Design:
    Wonderful, inventive and brilliant dungeon design, especially the very last dungeon. The entire world under the clouds is pretty much one big dungeon. The outdoor environments are complex enough to be interesting but not too complex to be confusing. Every confrontation is engaging thanks to the added motion controls, especially the boss fights. The last boss fights are extremely long and satisfying. The game constantly provides new activities to challenge you with so it never gets too repetitive. There are times however, where you know exactly where to go (and have the ability to do so) but the game forces to follow an exact order of events before your objective can be complete. For instance, at one point you have retrieve a specific lost item in land. Even though you can stand right next to the lost item you cannot interact with it until you first speak with owner. There's also a specific underwater fetch quest near the end of the game that is very uninteresting and seems forced. The overworld above the clouds is fun to navigate but very sparse in content. These are, however, just 3 minor complaints going against the game's overall excellent, engaging and plentiful puzzles and combat scenarios.

Story:
    A decent story that is more complex and richer than previous Zelda titles. Nice to see the supporting cast members have a more significant role.

Graphics:
    Artistically, this is very pretty. This time the game seems to have Asia influence in its art design which is a nice change to it usually Medial European look.

Overall:
    Excellent motion controls. Excellent level designs. Great variety of gamplay. A few hiccups with the Wiimotion plus technology and minor game design flaws keep it from a getting higher. But as it stands this is hands down, the best game in the Legend of Zelda series.
  82. Dec 7, 2011
    This game is beautiful, gorgeous and has the smooth control minigames we've waited for for years. Legend of Zelda has shown us once again that they rule nintendo by using that beautiful formula of puzzles, tough bosses and showing us collectibles we cant have while keeping a fresh and innovative touch staying ahead and giving us games to remember.
  83. Jan 17, 2012
    This is a perfect wii game! and such a thrilling adventure! The graphics are just absolutely gorgeous and amazing. The soundtrack is mindblowing and the gameplay is just perfect with the wii motion plus!
  84. Apr 6, 2012
    The controls are AWESOME!!! I've never felt such immersion into a game because of this. BUT, without the controls how does the game hold up? One of the best Zelda games there are. Up there (or perhaps surpassing) OOT and Twilight Princess.
  85. Feb 6, 2013
    Skyward sword may not be HD but this game spews perfection.The beautiful impresionistic art style,the intriguing dungeon ,an the best story to date on any zelda game.This is hands down an outstanding game 10/10.
  86. Mar 3, 2013
    This was by far the worst Zelda game for me. It just seemed like it was made for a different age group than Im in (born 1990). It lacked the dark parts of the story that Twilight Princess had. This made the game feel a lot more like a kids game, without the depth and mature parts of Links adventure. It really felt like they wanted to adjust the game to fit lower ages. This was shown alsoThis was by far the worst Zelda game for me. It just seemed like it was made for a different age group than Im in (born 1990). It lacked the dark parts of the story that Twilight Princess had. This made the game feel a lot more like a kids game, without the depth and mature parts of Links adventure. It really felt like they wanted to adjust the game to fit lower ages. This was shown also in the "cartoony" choice of art style and design of the characters. Comparing Zelda in Skyward Sword to Zelda in Twilight Princess, Zelda looks like a kids manga character.

On the technical part, the motion controls werent very precise and became frustrating after a while. Sometimes you just want to sink down the couch and slip into the world of Zelda.

I cant say much about the graphics, its down to the hardware. Though I did feel this game felt extra blurry with the chosen art style. The gameplay was alright, parts of it was very enjoyable. The game did seem a bit too easy once beaten it and there was no real urge to go back for the stuff you missed either. It would have been nice with some more sword upgrades. For future games:
    * Make the motion controls optional, with support for the Wii U pro controller.
    * Blend dark, mature environments with the colourful and fantasy inspired.
    * Make the characters with more realism inspiration. I'm thinking lord of the rings, not realism as in watching TV. We can push it much much further before it becomes "too realistic".
    * DONT MAKE ZELDA INTO ANOTHER KIDS GAME PLEASE! YOU HAVE SO MANY ALREADY!
  87. Jan 19, 2012
    There is almost zero exploration in this game. Having a big open world with multiple towns, tons of sidequests, and tons of things to find and do has been a zelda tradition since the begining. Skyward Sword throws all that out in favor of a singular town, which acts as a hubworld to take you to the dungeon areas. Before you can enter each dungeon though you have to perform a dowsing fetchThere is almost zero exploration in this game. Having a big open world with multiple towns, tons of sidequests, and tons of things to find and do has been a zelda tradition since the begining. Skyward Sword throws all that out in favor of a singular town, which acts as a hubworld to take you to the dungeon areas. Before you can enter each dungeon though you have to perform a dowsing fetch quest which is boring and only serves to prolong the game. If you want to know what it's like playing Skyward Sword then just imagine what Ocarina of Time would be like if you took away everything but the dungeons, and added in some annoying fetch quests to prolong the game. Expand
  88. Nov 23, 2011
    Best Story of any Zelda Ever. Best controls of any Zelda Ever. Best looking Zelda Ever. Suffice to say, Best Zelda Ever! A Modern Masterpiece! The second best game ever made (right behind Mario Galaxy 2). If you have a Wii - BUY THIS GAME! If you don't have a Wii then, first buy a Wii then... BUY THIS GAME! You have not lived until you play this!
  89. Jan 6, 2012
    An amazing game in all ways. The graphics are pretty, the storyline is engaging, and this game sets all other zelda games up by being set before the others. The bosses are cinematic and never get old.
  90. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is amazing, I'm not sure what the people who are complaining about the controls are talking about, they work fine for me. Definately a GOTY contender.
  91. Dec 9, 2011
    Is is wrong to mark a game down for only being 98% pure awesome? Skyward Sword takes a little while to get going and once it does it's not exactly at a breakneck pace. With about 40-50 hours for a first play through (and hero mode if you feel like a second) it's not a game your going to knock over in a weekend, but it is definitely a fun experience throughout and a wonderful change of paceIs is wrong to mark a game down for only being 98% pure awesome? Skyward Sword takes a little while to get going and once it does it's not exactly at a breakneck pace. With about 40-50 hours for a first play through (and hero mode if you feel like a second) it's not a game your going to knock over in a weekend, but it is definitely a fun experience throughout and a wonderful change of pace from Shooter Season 2011 :/. The controls are generally quite good, with the 1:1 swordplay working well and being used smartly and creatively throughout the game. That said there is still some waggle action to had here, so your motions don't have to be prefect all the time, but most enemies will punish you if slice the wrong way too often and there are some basic physics in play that cause enemies / objects to get knocked / thrown in the direction of your attack. The art style / graphics are a bit of a matter of taste; personally I would have preferred something little darker; but they are generally very good (just look away whenever someone 'sings') with areas like those around timeshift stones (especially the portable variety) and the final boss fight being particular highlights. Speaking of timeshift stones there are some great new mechanics is Skyward Sword, some a little under developed, but most proving quite enjoyable. There is also the new upgrade system, which works well in the early game, but by about mid game you'll have all the resources you need to max out pretty much all your gear... this does give you plenty of time at 'full power' I suppose, but it would have been nice to see a few more items / upgrade options. Gameplay overall is what you would expect from a Zelda game, with enemies to fight, temples to explore, puzzles to solve (though none especially difficult) and treasures to find. Of particular note are the boss fights, all of which range from excellent to awesome, and most of which can be repeated (if you want) through a mini game towards the end. The world is well designed and some of the temples are truly excellent, however it can't help but feel small with Skyloft being mostly empty sky and only three distinct environments down below. The main areas down below are visited numerous times (though usually with changes, some quite significant) throughout the story, however there are still new areas that unlock right until the end of the game so the world never gets entirely stale. The story is your usual 'hero saves the princess from the evil monster' variety, but it is well told, and there are side missions you can do around Skyloft that help flesh-out a lot of the minor characters. While not being quite perfect, Skyward Sword is definitely a worthy entry in the Zelda series and worth playing if only to experience some of the greatest moments in gaming this year. A must play for anyone who still has a Wii. Expand
  92. Nov 23, 2011
    one word. awesome. everything that it gets picked on for seems to be absolute rubbish to me, controls are precise, accurate and well polished, artwork is beautiful (graphics snobs can **** right off now) and the gameplay, storyline and soundtrack are beyond what I expected. plus I got it one day early down here in Australia, nearly lost my mind, and haven't been let down since.
  93. Nov 20, 2011
    I like how you can't always just defeat the enemy by waving the wii remote about, as many enemies require thought to defeat. Liked collecting items needed to upgrade my weapons and such, as well as the games setting, which is a colourful and vibrant world, with interesting characters. An excellent addition to the Zelda series, and you will get good value for money from this game, as you'dI like how you can't always just defeat the enemy by waving the wii remote about, as many enemies require thought to defeat. Liked collecting items needed to upgrade my weapons and such, as well as the games setting, which is a colourful and vibrant world, with interesting characters. An excellent addition to the Zelda series, and you will get good value for money from this game, as you'd expect from a quality title such as this. Expand
  94. Nov 20, 2011
    I can't see how anybody could give this game a Zero, it is by no means a bad game or worth below anything of a 7 in any person's opinion. It's amazing, great art style lots of exploration and the story is great, especially as it relates to OoT. A gem for any wii player, a reclaiming for any Nintendo fan who hated the wii(like me) and a reinventing for any Zelda fan. Unfortunately peopleI can't see how anybody could give this game a Zero, it is by no means a bad game or worth below anything of a 7 in any person's opinion. It's amazing, great art style lots of exploration and the story is great, especially as it relates to OoT. A gem for any wii player, a reclaiming for any Nintendo fan who hated the wii(like me) and a reinventing for any Zelda fan. Unfortunately people will give it 0 for no reason, I literally give it a 10. Expand
  95. Nov 20, 2011
    From the Beautifully Designed Graphics, to the Wonderfully In-depth Characters, i found this game to be as entertaining as any of the previous games of the series. (a lot to say, given their past) the motion control of the game made me excited at every enemy encounter, no matter how small. figuring out their weaknesses, and exploiting them is a very fun thing to do, given the amazingFrom the Beautifully Designed Graphics, to the Wonderfully In-depth Characters, i found this game to be as entertaining as any of the previous games of the series. (a lot to say, given their past) the motion control of the game made me excited at every enemy encounter, no matter how small. figuring out their weaknesses, and exploiting them is a very fun thing to do, given the amazing control.

Figuring out that certain enemies drop certain things, which can be used for upgrading items was one of the most exciting parts. Definitely will enjoy adventuring all the lands in search of pieces to upgrade my already amazing arsenal of gear.
    beyond that, the cinematics are at peak, and are the best they've ever been. and last, the Graphics are GORGEOUS. i find myself looking at walls, just to see the amazing painting-like artwork throughout the game. over all, a very fun game. Definitely recommend, 10/10
  96. Nov 22, 2011
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has done what Twilight Princess should have when it was brought over to the Wii: That is, used the Wii-mote. And oh how SS has. While it may not be the out-of-this-world epic that people expected, it is as close as a Wii game can get. The musical score is well done (if young at heart), and the action plays out nice and smooth. This Zelda is tougher thanThe Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has done what Twilight Princess should have when it was brought over to the Wii: That is, used the Wii-mote. And oh how SS has. While it may not be the out-of-this-world epic that people expected, it is as close as a Wii game can get. The musical score is well done (if young at heart), and the action plays out nice and smooth. This Zelda is tougher than previous titles in the series, but it also has a vastly updated UI to guide you through it, as well as a much improved companion NPC that helps you every step of the way should you need it. The camera does leave something to be desired, but using your Z-Target function does correct the angle and therefore bypasses any problems that may develop from not having complete control over the camera all the time, like in Wind Waker. If I had any complaints for this game, they would be few, but they would include the somewhat quirky camera and the overall childlike feel of the game, though this second point is relative to one's own view and I myself do not find it all that bothersome. To sum up, Skyward Sword has proven that it is a Zelda game, and a good one at that. One for the ages. Two thumbs skyward from me. Expand
  97. Nov 24, 2011
    The controls are not very accurate. The story is nothing great. The graphics even considering being a Wii game has nothing that has not already been done better on that platform.
  98. Nov 28, 2011
    Zelda has never let me down and this year is no different. The motion controls, which was heavily promoted by Nintendo, is actually really good, not perfect but still manageable compared to other games. With practice, the game's controls are close to accurate and I almost felt like I am Link, fending off foes and solving puzzles. The atmosphere, the dungeons, the story, almost everythingZelda has never let me down and this year is no different. The motion controls, which was heavily promoted by Nintendo, is actually really good, not perfect but still manageable compared to other games. With practice, the game's controls are close to accurate and I almost felt like I am Link, fending off foes and solving puzzles. The atmosphere, the dungeons, the story, almost everything seems different, if not too different, from the Zelda games I have played. The story is not too different from the formula, but it does give me a little more insight on the future relationship between Zelda and Link, it's more personal than ever. There is no voice acting, but I think its nothing important with this game as the characters are expressive in their own way. The dungeons are completely vast despite the fact that it is not as much of an open world as previous installments. I feel good about completing dungeons because the journey is just as exhilarating as the destination. I know some might not like the things I have mentioned above, but for those who are willing to have an open mind and appreciate what this game can give, then its a worthwhile experience. Expand
  99. Dec 6, 2011
    This is a game that pretty much proves you can't always listen to the "users" as the case is that they're practically never right about a game being bad! Especially when it turns out to be as fun as this one! Believe me it's not something I usually say, but this time screw the losers. Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 both got higher ratings than this! However that doesn't meanThis is a game that pretty much proves you can't always listen to the "users" as the case is that they're practically never right about a game being bad! Especially when it turns out to be as fun as this one! Believe me it's not something I usually say, but this time screw the losers. Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 both got higher ratings than this! However that doesn't mean they're as fun. In fact as over rated as those games are (they're still fun IMO) they aren't worthy of climbing the same heights as a Zelda game like this one. Why not? Because they aren't nearly as revolutionary of games as people said they were! Now here's a game that has finally come along that you should just know from the very moment that you play it is pretty revolutionary, in ways that those other games will NEVER be! Show me one way that this brilliant this game isn't revolutionary! Do that and I'll show you something that will wow your socks off! Anyway you'll never convince me this is bad, if you find it bad...well that's your loss! Others who know better will continue to see it for what it is, the absolute best game in the series since Majora's Mask! Expand

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Overall, this is the best experience I've had playing a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time and I'd have to say they are pretty equal in my opinion. Either way, you won't be disappointed getting this game, it's a masterpiece.
    New Zelda is the best game of whole series since the groundbreaking Ocarina of Time. It is a true masterpiece with uncompromising playability. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 19, 2012
    A magnificent homage for the 25th anniversary of one the biggest franchises in gaming, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword provides a compelling gaming and artistic showcase for the indefatigable potential of the medium as a whole, and a reason to have gaming as a hobby.